Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    have the clunk verified BEFORE leaving the dealership. Wouldn't want to return only to find..."UNABLE TO VERIFY" written on the work order.
  • slamphereslamphere Member Posts: 10
    My mechanic at the dealer told me that the new pistons will be out by December 2001. I was told by two mechanics from the dealer that I know very well that the pistons are not bad just shorter skirts and that is why they knock. Alot of GM cars do it. I was also given by GM a 100k warranty.
  • t1techt1tech Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 4 door short bed. I often hear a humming or whistling noise at speeds of 55 or greater, I first thought it was just tire road hum, but it stays constant even as the road surface changes, wondering if anyone else has had or is having this problem?
  • 63156315 Member Posts: 1
    I recently went to get my 1999 silverado inspected and found out that my emergency brakes didn't work and had to get them repaired. about the same time my drivers side electric window went out and about 2-3 weeks later my passenger side window went out. shortly after i got this truck, both of the back quarter windows were leaking and this was fixed under waranty. anyone else experience any of these problems?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    its not emergency brakes that your truck has.

Its parking brakes
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    My 99 Silverado had a bad parking brake also. The pedal would go to the floor and I could still drive off with the brake on.

When I went to adjust it, the adjuster was all the way already. Took it in to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty.

Mike L
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Go easy on us old guys who remember when they really WERE EMERGENCY BRAKES!!
    -- Don
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    i experienced this on another brand truck and found out it was the bug deflector i installed (a "Lear" brand). it seems as though it took a certain minimum velocity of wind to make it vibrate and "sing", which, like you, was highway speeds.
    Did they make you pay extra for that -- sort like an entertainment tax?
    -- Don
    I wont bug you anymore. Sunday i am planning on an oil/rear diff change.

Do you have the P/N for the rear fluid (i have a locker) and gasket?

Anything else i need? Luck? Thanks

Ryan
  • t1techt1tech Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately I have not added a bug deflector yet though my wife said maybe it will stop the noise, she refuses to ride with me because it annoys her so. I did dig a little deeper and found some post of weather stripping on the windshield causing the problem if the temp is above 90 degrees, has anyone had this resolved, and if so was it done through the dealer?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Wight1 response was on Chevy Silverado XVIII #3702 or Go To Your Manual, if you have the locker I believe there is an additive required for it in conjunction with fluid change.

P.S. 5 coats of Zaino??? You have too much time on your hands.

Ray T.
    no additive required thats the pre 99 trucks
  • arborhomesarborhomes Member Posts: 1
    When I make a turn, my '97 C1500 makes a popping noise that sounds like its coming from under the bed on the driver's side - maybe around where the gas tank is. It will make the noise 1-2 times if there's a slight turn in the road and 10-15 times while taking a 90 degree turn. I've been all under the truck but can't find any anywhere. Any ideas???

While I'm at it, does anyone have a muffler heat shield buzz, seat latch rattle or rubber molding that falls off if you leave the door open?
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    On my '96 I had a lot of diff. noises from the cab mount bolts. Seems like they were always tightening or replacing them. Yours isn't the V6 is it? Mine was, and something about the virtation of the V6 engine and the exhaust system that was used, it would continually cause the sheild and the guts in the muffler begin vibrating and rattling. In 2 years and less than 30k miles I had three complete exhaust systems on that truck.
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    just go to the parts store and get some Mobil1 or Royal Purple or Valvoline 75w-90 synthetic and put it in. Most of these already have a friction modifier built in for lockers. I don't have a part number for the gasket - just tell them what model truck you've got and they can look it up. And don't buy this stuff from the dealer - you'll pay $25+ a quart for the same stuff the parts store has for $7.50 to $8.00. But check your owner's manual if you're also doing the front gearcase - I think the front might a different lube. 4wd - I don't know me.
    i am going with the gm fluid. Dont want to void the warranty

$28 a quart is a small price to pay
  • rackmaster287rackmaster287 Member Posts: 7
    My 2001 hd 2500 W/6.0 litre has 2800 miles and has that engine knock when cold and at higher rpm's. the only thing the dealer has said is they think they know the problem and have to get back to me after they contact the district service rep.
    it's a good thing there are people like you around. Dealers may go bankrupt if it weren't for people thinking they would void the warranty by using anything other than what's provided by the dealer....sometimes I just can't believe.....
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    just curious, how much mileage or time is left on your warranty? Are you experiencing a problem w/ the rear axle?
    What other fluids satisfy all gm's standards? None. I know its pretty much a rip off but i am a play it safe kinda guy.

RICSCH

I have almost 17,500 on my truck. No problem with rear axle. Just preventative maintenance

Ryan
    told you to use would have met all of GM's standards? doh! I used lubriplate 75-90w when I changed mine. Is it better than what GM has specified....you betcha. Same goes for most aftermarket petroleum products. BTW, lubriplate is specified by GM as a lubricant to use on the door hinges, etc.

As far as warranty, I think the dealer and GM would be hard pressed to prove that the oil you used in your rearend caused its failure. Same as the fram filters....they may be crap but no one can prove that it caused an engine to fail.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Has anyone had the driveline resonate or rattle when towing or hauling heavy loads in overdrive with the torque converter locked when engine is lugging before a shift? Problem happens in 3rd also under the same conditions. This truck is a V-6 auto 4x4 reg cab.

I think it is the driveshaft, but not sure. When using tow/haul mode when towing over 60 mph the truck will shift in OD unless I keep it in 3rd. When towing about 5000 lbs the truck sounds like a piece of junk when the engine is running at low RPMs with locked torque converter and the truck is under heavy load. Is there a TSB on this?

If there is a TSB I hope they do not reprogram the transmission to unlock the torque converter earlier because this will generate more heat in the transmission. Anytime the torque converter is open it is slipping and generating heat, but I could see GM doing that.
    Is this a good idea? Does GM void the warranty if you use one? I connot find a cooler that has the correct fitting to the radiator. For some reason, none of the half ton trucks come from the factory with one.
    sounds like what my truck is doing at about 35mph. I was told there is no fix. This after taking it in twice.

I did kinda fix it but not totally. I set my HPIII for shiftfirmness so it doesnt lug between 30-40mph as much but it still does.
    Ryan, You do not void the warranty by using other mfr's. products, remember that federal law quoted here quite a few times? I don't recall the name, but I'm sure one of our fellow readers here could quote it for you. The Vehilce manufactorers are trying to create a monopoly by telling you this and they are dead wrong. It's like telling me if I buy a product made by Menards and don't by their replacement parts for a repair I void the warranty...baloney! Thats why you have Aftermarket Parts Mfr's. Assoc. so everyone gets a piece of the pie!

Obyone is correct, go to PepBoys, AutoZone, NAPA, CarQuest etc. or whatever parts store you have in your neck of the woods and get the 75w-90 gear lube you need, save a few bucks and take your girlfriend out to the drive-in movies, the rest is up to you.

Ray T.
    I know it wont void my waarranty unless they can prove it. And if something does happen they can say it doesnt meet a spec (i forget which one it is) and wont cover it.

There is a specification which mobil 1 etc does not meet.

How bout i spend the extra money and take the gf out and have piece of mind we are going to make it there and back?

Ryan
    is generated more with the tranny hunting back and forth for a norm under the driving conditions/load carried. If your hauling heavy loads why would you even think about running in overdrive, put it in 3rd Tow/Haul mode and leave it be.
    As for an oil cooler you must not have the factory tow package because it comes standard w/oil cooler otherwise you may have to get the OEM from dealer since you have run into problem locating aftermarket.

Ray T.
    You sure don't have much faith in your Chevrolet product do you, since when is a dealer going to send your tranny fluid out for analysis upon a failure??? if your rearend blows in that truck I'd say you need some driving lessons from Skip Barber.
    But like Oby says dealers couldn't survive without people who think like you, but whatever floats your boat and makes you happy, good luck on this one now.

Ray T.
    Dealers dont come up with the specs for our trucks. They dont print them in our owners manual either
    Moss-Magnuson Act prohibits the dealer from doing exactly what you're saying.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty/undermag.htm

What specifically doesn't Mobil1 meet in terms of specifications? What about Royal Purple? Lubriplate? Who do you think makes that special GM gear oil? Well....it ain't GM.

That's all for now....no sense in beating a dead horse...or jackass in this case....hehe

getting so worked up over this?
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    When I call my dealer about getting the diff. fluid changed on my 2001 Z-71 with a locking diff. he quoted me a price of around $155. He said that included $90 for the synthetic fluid, $10 for an additive, and $55 for the labor. Do you have any idea what is this additive is they are talking about?
    -David
    Tell that dealer if he puts that additive in the rear end of your truck you will beat him with a baseball bat. Only the pre 99 trucks use that stuff. Everything else sound right.

Seriously why dont you do it yourself and save some money?

Check this out

http://home.att.net/~m.prendergast-alliedsignal/silverado_axle.html

Looks pretty easy only thing i am worried about is putting the fluid back. Looks tricky

Ryan

i am changing mine hopefully on sunday so ill let you know take pics and such

Ryan
    SPECIAL GM fluid....but the guy at the dealer says....no synthetic? Life sure is tough on these major projects....hehe
    Went to "my" dealership. Got 3 quarts and a gasket.

All ready to go now. THis guy tried to argue with me. He like you NEVER have to change the rear end fluid. Ok whatever dude. I was like well your gonna lose a big sale. He shut up quick

Ryan
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Where do you guys get all the info/pics on the maintenance for your Rado's?

I agree with oby and ray. Synthetic is NOT going to void your warranty. If Chevy told you that that is BS!

My 2 cents anyway...

Jim
    Synthetic is what you are supposed to use in the rear end.

Gm says the fluid you use has to meet certain specs. If it doesnt meet the spec its no good in my book

Ryan
    Exactly, what specs doesn't Mobil 1 meet?
    I do not have my owners manual handy but there is one that mobil one, redline, and royal purple do not meet.
    I too am getting ready to change the rear diff lub in my 2500HD. Here's what I have found out. GM part# 12378261 is produced by Texaco; Texaco's part# is 2276. This product is NOT available to the public; i.e. we can't buy it. Following is an email that I recieved from Eaton:
    "Eaton Torque Control Products produces the locking differential that is available under the GM G80 option code. American Axle & Manufacturing produces the axle assembly that our product is installed in. The lube is specified by GM and as such all of our validation testing, as well as AAM's,was done using the 2276 Texaco product. Other products that meet GM's requirements probably exists, however we have not validate any. I would stick with the recommended lube."
    Following is an email that I recieved from AMSOIL:
    "GM part 9986115 is Castrol Syntorq which our recommended replacement is our AMSOIL Series 2000 75W90 Synthetic Gear Lube."

This is very interesting because I talked with Castrol's tech line and they said that they do NOT have a product to satisfy GM spec 9986115. Valvoline, Mobile 1, Pennzoil also said that they do NOT have a product to satisfy spec 9986115.
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    I'm not ready to change my diff fluid yet, but you have two part numbers listed for the lube in your post above, which one is it?
    In the beginning you state it is GM part# 12378261, then the email from AMSOIL states GM part 9986115. Anyway, trying to keep up (with the discussion that is)

Bob
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Is the lubricant required for the NV4500 5 spd manual trans behind the 6.0L engine. The trans even has a tag on it stating warranty is void if any lubricant other than Castrol Syntorq is used.

Probably not a problem behind a 6.0L, but the same trans has been used behind Dodge Cummins Diesels and that may be the issue. The Cummins can put out more torque than the 6.0L (duh) and the trans may need that lubricant to survive at max rated torque.

Ryan, what does that have to do with your final drive?

Mike L
    but a part number. If they don't know what it is, how can they tell you whether it meets it or not. I would have told you the same....I don't what that number is so our product can't meet it.

I too am curious as to what the first part of your post have anything to do with the second part? Other than get people confused? There is a difference between the trans and the rearend if in case you didn't know. One is located in front of the other and they don't take the same fluid.
    The V-6 is rated to tow 5300 lbs with 3.73 and auto with no extra coolers. I am do not know what the V-8s can tow without the trans cooler. I am not sure why they differ. Does the V-6 use the extra radiator capacity for the trans?

I tow with this truck much of the summer. I read somewhere that GM did not like add on trans oil coolers and my void the warranty if there is a trans problem. I am not sure if I should add one.

My Blazer manual states that full trailer towing (5600 lbs) requires no extra coolers also.
    Trannys, why do you think they put a temp gage for trans fluid in the 2500 rado w/6.0L engine?? I would have liked to had that option for the 5.3 when I bought my Y2K 2500.
    I had the first model year production Chevy Ext. Cab 1500 in 1988 w/the 4.3 Auto/2WD V-6. I added a trans cooler because it is recommended for towing no matter what the GVW rating. If you buy a new Rado these days w/optional factory tow package it comes with a trans oil cooler, now why would that be ??? Think about it.........HEAT !

Ryan.. what you were charged per quart for GM's special rearend tonic ??? We are not trying to ride you on this or get all worked up, just trying to educate you on the finer points of auto mechanics so as you don't get taken to the bank everytime GM says "ya gotta use OUR products or you will void the warranty" Learn from your elders my boy there's a lot of experience talking to ya on this forum, god I never thought I'd ever see myself as an elder....

Uhhhhhh it's time for a Corona, now where's those damn limes.

Ray T.
    $26 a quart

Cost to the dealership is like $19 something a quart i heard

Get this i had the gasket in my basement my moms like whats that gasket for? I was like for my truck she goes oh i could have gotten you one for free from work. Thanks mom

Ryan
    When you mentioned Corona, the first thing that came to my mind was what brand...as I was thinking of cigar size and not beer until I read the lime part...hehe.

Now I understand why Jed Clampett was a millionaire selling Texas crude for $26 a quart.

DOH!!
    No 1/2 Chevy ton trucks come with oil coolers? Mine has one; part of the towing package. And I know it's there 'cause I've had the grille out; hard to miss. Also hard to figure how GM could void a warranty for an add-on cooler if it was done even half-assed right.
    -- Don
This discussion has been closed.