Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• Options
    dmnsmith2dmnsmith2 Member Posts: 21
    I am ready to buy now and really wondering about the reliability of these trucks. I want to hear from all of you if I should buy one. Please let me hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!!!
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Mine's been totally trouble free, rides and handles great after I put on decent tires and shocks, and gets outstanding fuel mileage for a truck. Waited a year until the '00 model until Chevy had a full model year under its belt rather than buy anything else because of the outstanding reengineering of the '99 up GM trucks.
    -- Don
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    What kinda shocks did you add

Ryan
  • Options
    tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I was looking at the sliverados today and noticed the 2 bars in the passengers seat at the small of the back, do they really jab your back? I'm sure they are for the kiddie seats, right?
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    According to my Owner's Manual 9986115 is a GM Specification for the rear axle lubricant. The part number is 12378261.

I personally see no reason to not use Mobil 1 when I change mine. As for the front axle, it calls for 80W90 lubricant, so I'll need to do a bit of research on that one. All I can find in the stores is 75W90 lube. As for those who have AutoTrac, I believe that you do have to go to the dealer for that fluid.

Erik
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'm glad we got that all straightened out....or did we?

What does autotrac have to do with the rearend?
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I haven't sat on that side but no one has complained yet. I sure don't like the looks of them though. Or those straps behind the back seat.
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    What I guess I should have said it that the Silverado does not come standard with a trans oil cooler. The V-8 (I think) requires it for towing and if you order the tow package it is installed at the factory. All V-6s come from the factory rated to tow thier maximium (in my case 5300 lbs) with no extra equipment required.

I know heat kills, but GM is telling me my truck has sufficient trans cooling capacity from the factory, even for class 3 towing. I find this hard to believe.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    You said; "What I guess I should have said it that the Silverado does not come standard with a trans oil cooler" That is true, but if the tow option is ordered the trans cooler comes with it on any Silverado. All the trucks are rated to tow but if your towing anything over 1500 lbs. they need additional trans cooling or your in big trouble down the road. I towed a 1200lb pop-up camper for 4 years prior to getting a 3500 lb travel trailer, at that point I installed a aftermarket trans. oil cooler. I assume you mean your dealer when you say GM. The dealer is shoveling a heavy load of BullSh.. my friend to say the least, and I would let him know that in no uncertain terms. Then speak to the general manager to let him know how his service rep is spreading manure with his inept opinions. Your V-6 needs additional cooling for towing. An aftermarket tranny cooler is very easy to install if you have any mechanical ability. My 88 V-6 had 88,000 miles before I started towing my 19 ft. trailer, at 124,000 the transmission decided to retire from service, in Canada no less, while traveling on vacation.
    If your second sense is telling you "it ain't right" beleive it and act upon it, don't believe everything your told by wanna be technicians or inept service reps.

Ray T.
  • Options
    Should i use RTV or install the gasket dry? I have heard both. One guy said he used RTV and the oil ate it away

Thanks

Ryan
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    GM was GM. My manual states the V-6 is rated to tow from the factory as is, with no cooler. I emailed Chevrolet and they said that was correct. So, logic tells me that 5000 lbs needs a cooler. However, I know someone who installed an aftermarket cooler and GM did not want to fix his trans under warranty. The V-6 has no factory tow package or cooler becasue GM thinks it is OK as is.

My truck only has 6000 miles and is used strickly for hauling or towing. I even use this truck for towing in 4 wheel drive Lo in off road conditions. I do not want to void the warranty beacuse I may need it under these conditions. I suspect the trans and rear axle are the weakest links. I already have had the front diff replaced. The engine I expect to last forever using past experience.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    When you replace your diff. fluid, where exactly does this gasket go that you are talking about? I thought there was a drain plug, and a fill plug, and thus no need for a gasket.
    Are you removing the cover off of the back of the diff.?
    -David
  • Options
    Yes i am removing the cover to clean all the junk if there is any out. I have heard there will be some metal shavings and such

Ryan
  • Options
    I thought there was a magnet on the end of the diff. drain plug that took care of catching those little metal shavings? Let us know how it goes, and also how much of those metal shavings you find in there, ok.
    Also, what's the torque setting and installation pattern for those diff. cover bolts?
    You don't want to void that warranty now.
    -David
  • Options
    mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    NO!!! Buy a Sierra. It is a much better looking truck.

Seriously, I'm coming up on 20k miles, and I love this truck. Sierra Excab 4x2, 5.3l, 3.73. Great truck with no problems.

Peter
  • Options
    yes the magnet catches everything thats why i am taking the cover off to clean that off.

Also the torque setting is 30 ft-lbs
  • Options
    Ahh, so the magnet is inside the diff. and not part of the drain plug. Gotcha.
    I click on your posted link, a new Netscape window opens up, but there is nothing displayed in it and no pages to print either.
  • Options
    i have no trouble opening it up

Try

http://home.att.net/~m.prendergast-alliedsignal/

at the top click on the silveraod link

Ryan

• Options
    That link in post 1069 works. I then click on the "Chevy Silverado" link on the top menu. I then click on "Change Axle Fluid" on the top menu. I then get a new BLANK page....nothing on it at all. All of the other items work on that menu work except for "Change Axle Fluid". I'll try it again at home tonight.
    -David
  • Options
    its the helms manual instructions for the axle fluid change courtousy of matt aka Blackmax

Ryan
  • Options
    wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    On my last axle fluid change, I switched to Royal Purple MaxGear 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. Before I bought it I sent an e-mail to Royal Purple about this product. For anybody who might be interested, here's how the e-mail went:

"I am interested in using RP MaxGear oil in the rear axle of my 2000 model Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck. The owner's manual calls for 75w-90 synthetic axle lubricant meeting GM specification 9986115. Does RP MaxGear oil meet this GM specification number?"

the reply from Royal Purple:
    "Royal Purple Max Gear is suitable for your truck meeting all specifications required by GM (API GL4/GL5 and GM 9986115) for warranty use. thank you for your interest in Royal Purple."

Sounds good enough for any possible warranty problem to me. Now using RP Max Gear @ $8/qt.
  • Options
    do they have their claim in writing?

not to be anal but many salesman will tell you anything like i learned talking to bilstein yesterday
  • Options
    wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    The guy I wrote to is the product manager, so I guess he must know something about his product. I know that sounds pretty stupid on my part, but Royal Purple is a relatively small, private company just up the road from me in Houston and I know them not to be a bunch of "snake oil" salesman. There is nothing on the Max Gear bottle that says it does or does not comply with GM specs, but their synthetic motor oil specifically says it complies with GM spec 4718 for use in Corvettes. I really don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Others have said Mobil1 does not comply with the GM axle spec number, but I had used Mobil1 for 24,00 miles right up to my last change. When I pulled the cover, there was no sign of any abnormal wear on the bearings or gears. I think its just like the old S-10 I had back in 1982. They issued a recall on it because the 5 speed manual transmission were seizing up. They put in a new "special GM fluid" that retailed for like $20/qt (back in '82!). The service manager told me it was nothing but Amsoil fluid in a GM bottle.
  • Options
    mobil one or RP is bad. It is probably better off in some ways. I just chose to play it safe.

Ryan
  • Options
    I figure we're all going to be changing the rest of the fluids, so I just brought it up. Anyone ever see the 80W90 recommended for the front axle, other than at the dealer?
  • Options
    jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    You cant always trust GM and what they say on there "recomendations". I understand your concerns but there are enough people on the board who know what they are talking about as far as mechanics.

I feel you should be able to use WHATEVER you want in your truck without issue. Im not telling you what to do.. just trying to open your mind a bit.... And in any event NEVER trust the dealer... they are out to make money and that is the bottom line.

My 2 cents anyway. Have a good weekend man!

Later,

Jim
  • Options
    Initially the dealer parts person wanted to sell Ryan non-synthetic gear oil. Only at Ryan's insistance did he sell him the $26/qt. stuff. Go figure.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm kinda makes you wonder???
  • Options
    I guess you can look at it this way. $78 + tax is not much to pay for peace of mind. AND the mind is a wonderous thing........
  • Options
    True very true my friend. Im glad that Ryan went with synthetic though! :)
  • Options
    I went with Edelbrocks. Work extremely well. First thing you notice, even backing out of the driveway, is all the harshness in the rear is completely gone. Next is the significant stability increase at speed. Ref post 1073: what did the Bilstein guy do to you?
    -- Don
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    With modern lockup converters, heat in the transmission is greatly reduced. I don't know if your 88 had a lockup converter or not, but most heat in the trans is from converter slippage. And why you needed a big tranny cooler with a non-lockup converter.

I've got to believe GM when they say the truck can tow with no additional coolers.

Mike L
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I haven't got the miles to change the diff oil on my 2500, yet, but when I have changed the oil in other GM trucks I always went back with Permatex Black FormaGasket. Never had any leaks or other problems, so is something different on the newer trucks?

Jim
  • Options
    mbwhitleymbwhitley Member Posts: 32
    GM Parts Direct has the 12378261 gear oil, but no listing (as a part) for 9986115. It must be the spec, like Ryan says.

The good news is that GM Parts Direct has GM spec gear oil for $15.60/quart. GM Wholesale is given as $19.50, and GM Retail is given as $26. The bad news is that it comes in a 12 pack quantity.

Some of you guys that live close to each other may want to coordinate purchases. How much oil does a front and rear differential oil change require?

Mike
  • Options
    At $15.60 parts direct is making a profit...at $26.00 a bottle....well I'd say the word is RIPOFF...and people buy this thing? Somewhere somehow a little common sense is required. DOH!!
  • Options
    mwillemwille Member Posts: 15
    im back 2000 ex-cab 2500 8' box 4x4 6.0 Loaded with everything. Im at 34K and my back tires need replacing again. Second set (firestone steeltex). the tires wear evenly on both sides.has been in the dealers 4 times.2 different dealers.they say everything is to spec.im not convinced. I go from Ma.to Fl.2or3 a year times pulling my boats back and forth (3k-10k lbs).I also have a slight knock in the engine. I don't want to buy tires every 17K.and my warrenty will be over very soon.Will they buy it back? My other 88GMC still runs great after 552K but thats for work.Help!!!
  • Options
    jflyerjflyer Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Silverado 3/4 ton with the 6.0 liter engine, 14000 miles. Slow speed operation or idling (launching a boat, etc) results in a cloud of oil smoke. My dealer and GM replaced the PCV valve with a "no part number" PCV that was supposed to cure the problem and did not. Has anyone else had this problem with the 6 liter?
  • Options
    64roadster64roadster Member Posts: 19
    I tried to research this also before changing my differential gasket. Heard a variety of opinions from "experts". Finally followed the opinion from our local 4X4 parts store (Border Parts for you San Diego readers): okay to use RTV as long as it was the black (not blue or red); they had leaks unless it was black; they also said gasket alone should be fine.
    Well, I like to always do the job better than it would be done by someone else.... so I used the gasket and black RTV sealer.
    And .... 500 miles later I have a small leak from the cover!!!!!!
    Next time I'll try the gasket alone if the machined surface on the differential carrier and cover look good.
  • Options
    I've always used a gasket alone and have never had any leakage. The really important thing is to follow the recommended tightening sequence. You also don't want to tightenen each bolt all the way to the recommended torque on the first pass. I tighten in 10 lb increments. If the new manual doesn't have a recommended tightening sequence then I would tighten alternate bolts, much the same way you tighten lug nuts. One final note...the recommended torque is for a gasket only. When you go with RTV, the gasket torque may be too much or too little, probably too much since RTV is soft and pliable.
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Quick question...

2001 Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 Z71 LS model.

Is the a/c compressor supposed to be engaged
    when the recirc switch is on, a/c switch is off,
    vent is selected (not defrost) and regardless of the temp selector?

Mine does. This is against what I believe should be true.
    If you turn off the a/c switch the compressor should not engage (unless you are in defost).
    Can anyone with a 2001 shed any light on this?
    Thanks..
  • Options
    Most applications, RTV is used in place of a preformed gasket as the gasket or sealer itself. Especially for a "vertical" application like a rear end, I'd install it with clean mating surfaces and dry, or with a light tack of Permatex spray on gasket seal if they still make that stuff.
    -- Don
  • Options
    Changed. Only took about 2 and a half hrs. I also listened to the cubs while i did it and helped my dad a few times with our basement (remodeling). Pretty straight forward. It does get tirering being under your truck for so long especially in the 95 degree heat (105-110 heat index). Glad i have a 4x4 which sits higher up.

It took 2 quarts and i estimated about 9ozs which is .28 quarts. So about 2.28 qts total.

Hardest part of the whole thing was getting the rear cover off. Was under the truck foot on the rear bumper and two hands pulling. Finally it came off and went flying into the driveway. Old gasket looked like crap. Could barely even tell it was there.

Some metal shavings around the magnet. Fluid came out kinda greyish looking. Also the last of the fluid to drain looked like a milky color.

Thanks for all your help guys i really do appreciate it

Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan --
    Grey and milky; suspended fine metal particles and moisture. Damnit, now I'm going to have to change mine, too. Figure with buying a MagTech cover that job should only cost me a little over $300 if I use Mobil 1. Maybe I could change to 4:10s while I'm in there and then have to do the front end, too, and really drive the bill out of sight. Why didn't you just leave well enough alone?
    -- Don
  • Options
    hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    My 2001's a/c does the same thing as what you're talking about. I don't know if that's a defect or not. Anybody know?
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Went by a dealship yesterday... Talked a salesman into letting me look at another new truck. Does the exact same thing. Looks like it is working as it should. The salesman stated that the new compressors are so efficient that it really does not matter if it is running or not..
    I dont believe this. I am going to do a little checking around...
  • Options
    dmnsmith2dmnsmith2 Member Posts: 21
    I would think they would go with a different vendor. I am ready to buy and do not want Firestones, can I trade these with the dealer or are there any options out there for me to get another brand? TIA
  • Options
    maybe because they arent having problems like ford did?

Only way to get another brand is to shell out some $$$. Thats what i did and i am glad i did it.

Ryan
  • Options
    Read Your Owners Manuals Yet?? The answers to your questions are in there, your not supposed to just leave them in the glove box ya know LOL.

Ray T.
  • Options
    Glad your gear oil change went well, should have mentioned that you might need a stiff putty knife to break the seal on old gasket before you bent your fingernails back tugging on that thing, did your Dad come running when the heard the clatter? How many miles do you have on your rado now?
    We are heading up to Ontario end of the week for some camping and as yet I haven't changed my rear end fluid so far w/18,000 miles to date but probably will after this trip.

Ray T.
This discussion has been closed.