Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew: Official SOA Presence (aka Patti)

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    In general, I'd think you would want to minimize unsprung weight. All things being equal, once a larger mass gets bouncing, it takes more shock control to get it to settle down. Now perhaps the 'tuners' are messing with more than just wheel/tire mass - spring & shock rates, roll bars, etc. Or perhaps yours feels more 'planted' as the tire contact patch and cross-sectional area has changed enough to offset the weight gain, and results in a net positive effect. Too many variables to consider.....

Steve
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Maybe it's the higher spring rates. They may be tuned for 17" wheels.

OBS and 2.5RS have softer springs, I suspect, and those are better tuned for the 16" rims, maybe?

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Isn't the higher spring rates equate to stiffer tension to force the wheel down faster, hence the wheel spend less time in the air?

-Dave
  • Options
    Bigger wheels mean more mass bouncing up and down. I'd expect higher springs rates go hand in hand with heavier rims.

-juice
  • Options
    ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    I was told at a Subaru dealership today that the Subaru Credit Card is being somehow revised and that any accumulated Subaru Bucks have to be redeemed by the end of 2003. Is there any truth to this? If so what are the particulars? This is the first I have heard of this and I'm sure if it is so, then I am not the only one to find this relevant. Thanks, I look forward to your timely reply........
  • Options
    amsbearamsbear Member Posts: 147
    They must be wrong. My coupons all have an expiration date of 4 years from the date that they were issued.

Alan
    98 OBW Ltd
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Subaru just switched their card to chase earlier in the year. I believe the bucks earned on the old card has a usage date know (anyone confirm?). Hope they don't change again since I just got my card a few months ago (saving for bike rack).

Greg
  • Options
    All the bucks earned are good up till their respective expiration dates, new card and old, subject to the terms and conditions in force then and now respectively.

-Dave
  • Options
    ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for the replies. I see on the certificate I have that the expiration date is 10/2007. I wonder where and how the dealer got his information?
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I'm pretty sure that the MBNA earned bucks do expire at the end of this year.

I believe there is something in the latest Drive about it.

-Dennis
    edit: Here it is:
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Fall03_YourTurn.htm
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    The expiration refers to the "old bucks". I'm sure that is what confused the dealer. If you aren't sure and want it documented, Philip, just call 1-800-SUBARU3 and they can straighten out your dealer.

Patti
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    it seems they are talking about a specific blue "close out " coupon which is distinct from the small grey MBNA Subarubucks or the new blue larger Chase Subarubucks.
  • Options
    They are referring to Subaru Bucks of the MBNA original program that were grandfathered before revising the program.

-Dave
  • Options
    scherbergerscherberger Member Posts: 7
    Will be taking car to dealer to address very significant dash noise . Posters on other boards have supplied input as to the cause. Will keep my fingers crossed that their tips will fix the problem.

If not ...

On the other sites some posters ( to others questions) revealed that " Patti says that dealers have a tool called 'ears' to listen to and trace annoying sounds".

Is this so? Is this the correct name of the tool?Just want to be sure -- not so that they look at me like I have three heads or tell me that they have never heard of such a thing.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    are usually a mechanic's stethoscope with a tube on the end instead of the cold flat thing.

Jim
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    did MBNA have 2 types of subarubucks coupons??? the ones I have before they switched to Chase are different to the ones in the links they are showing as the ones which will be defunct
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    the MBNA program changed in 2000. The first version was for credit on a car only. The later version allowed credit on service, parts and accessories too.

TWRX
  • Options
    what twrx said :)
    The initial MBNA program before going over to the later version only offered credits for purchase of a new car, and you had to submit a form to apply the credits. But back then they offered 5% for every dollar.

-Dave
  • Options
    outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    Sorry this is a few days late, I don't check these boards every day. My '97 OB has exhibited the "problem" of apparent brake loss under very specific circumstances.

On a road I drive every day, shortly before a stop sign, there was a strip across the road where the top surface was removed causing an abrupt drop of maybe 3" like this:
    ---------___________-----------

The low section was maybe 2 feet long and somewhat rough, and when the front tires dropped into this while braking relatively hard, the ABS kicked in and it felt like braking was reduced, and the pedal seemed ineffective. I let up on the brake and reapplied and all was fine, but it did surprise me the first time it happened.

My formative driving years were in rural northern MN with large RWD sedans and pickups and lots of snowy/icy roads and gravel, so I still instinctively "pump" the brakes and fear I will never fully get used to ABS.

No idea if other or all ABS equipped cars would do this, and the road has been repaired so I can't duplicate it. Braking in general is not the strong point on this car, it's one of the few things I don't like about it.

utahsteve
  • Options
    Colleen - the information Jim supplied is correct. In the U. S., they are pretty common, but I'm not sure if they are used often in Canada. If the dealer looks at you funny, just look questioningly at them and act surprised that they do not know what you are talking about. It's what I do when I get uncomfortable!! ;-)

Patti
  • Options
    If you are having a problem, it would probably be good to take a few steps. Make sure your dealer checks it out to see if there are any mechanical problems. If the dealer can't duplicate the problem, please call 1-800-SUBARU3. Make sure you have your VIN and please be prepared to describe the condition in detail. We are tracking complaints. The Rep. probably can't take any action with it right now, it will be helpful for us to have as much information as possible.

If you're don't have time to call us, you can always send a detailed message via Subaru.com, contact us. Let the Rep. know that you are not expecting an immediate response, but you want to go on record of having the concern.

We really appreciate the information. It might help us get to a resolution.

Thanks!

Patti
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    ... at the same time. I've been on this board for quite sometime but never really surfed to see if there were any other threads around... until now..

Anyway, I just want to thank SOA and Patti for showing committment and concern to the Subaru community in enhancing their relationship with us.

On the ABS note, as by personal experience, I've also had faulty braking. It does occur when the surface is bumpy or has gravel to the extent of 'fooling' the ABS. Though the previous link reflects the possibilities or functions of the ABS, it seems about right that the other wheels are not providing assistance to the brake control but just 'waiting' until the 'loss traction' wheel regains control so that the 4 wheels can work in conjunction.

I have a 2000 Impreza RS which will be sold this week and my wife has a 2003 OB Wagon. Although it has not happened quite as often as the Impreza, it still has. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the weight of the OB 'reduces' the mishaps of the ABS.

I know SOA is looking into this but just for the record; I've had to change my pants a couple of times because of this. Crazy thing about it.... it has happened during times of normal driving.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue beating a dead horse here. I just hope this problem gets fixed by the time I purchase the Legacy Turbo. ;-)
  • Options
    Welcome and thanks for the nice comments.

I'm not in the loop with what is actually taking place with figuring this out, but I know that it is still a priority. FHI is taking the customer comments very serously.

If you get a chance, please send an e-mail through Subaru.com (contact us) detailing what you have experienced and provide a VIN? Also, please indicate if a dealer checked the system out and if they were able to duplicate it.

I almost hate asking folks to do this considering the value of your time, but the more data we're able to collect, the quicker we can find a solution = reduction of dirty drawers!

Thanks!

Patti
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Hey Elm, welcome to THIS board. :-)
    FYI, Patti and Edmunds rocks.

-Dennis
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    And glad to have you aboard "here" too BigElm. Now we can chat on 2 boards—nasioc & Edmunds :)

Edmunds tip:

What I do is show "All" Subaru discussions, and set the preferences to show most recent post first. There are 10 pages of Edmunds Subaru threads, including all the archived ones. However, only about 12–15 threads that are active, and these usually all fit on page 1.

Bob
  • Options
    ... better late than never I guess :-)

Thanks for the welcoming to THIS board ;-). It's good to know there are familiar names here other than the 'other' board!

Well, Patti....

I will email you (Subaru) tomorrow and provide the information. Hopefully you guys can get to the bottom of this. I'm sure I can duplicate the problem but.... anyway... I'll email ya ;-)
  • Options
    I'll keep an eye out for your message. I think I'm almost as anxious for a resolution!

Patti
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    to the Edmunds crew. I go by goneskiian on the "other" board. I actually found that one through this one.

-Ian
  • Options
    Thanks.... another familiar face... um... name :-)

It's like family all over again, lol!
  • Options
    I sent the email, 2 of them! One for each vehicle; Impreza and Outback Wagon... hope this helps... we need it!

Thanks.
  • Options
    I'll try to grab them out myself and make sure they get properly directed (not that I've ever seen them get misdirected - but I'm a hands on type).

Patti
  • Options
    subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    I see mention in some of the posts to the "other" site. As I'm still doing searches and looking for other resources can someone direct me to a comprehensive listing of Subaru sites?

I also want to add my agreement that it is great to have an official SOA presence. I don't see that anywhere else and it's just another show of why Subaru is a great marque.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    E-mail me and I'll give you the link to the "other" site, as Edmunds looks down on promoting other web forums that it might compete with; hence the reference "other" site. All the regulars here know what that code refers to.

Bob
  • Options
    There used to be a good Sube-directory with tons of links, but my bookmark no longer works for it. :-(

-juice
  • Options
    ... has the links you're looking for. I'm sure rsholland will take care of you... it's easy ;-)
  • Options
    deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Asked you on Chat room about ETA on my order.I called Sub-3 and they were very helpful.. Said they would check with dealer and get back to me next week. Hope to hear--thanks.. Charlie
  • Options
    Let us know what you hear! I'll give the Rep. you spoke to a pat on the back! (Adam - right?)

Patti
  • Options
    subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    Well, being a latecomer the article is not available through the link without purchasing that issue of the magazine. Does anyone have the article in a text file they could email? Or is there another link to a different location where it can still be read? Thanks for any input on this.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    What's the article about? Did I miss something?

Ken
  • Options
    back in August. Kind of about the "power" of Edmunds for finding issues. It made me the brunt of a few jokes at work, but it was nice and my family kind of liked seeing my name in print.

Patti
  • Options
    forestirforestir Member Posts: 8
    Just curious what SOA's position is on Canadian XTs. Given that many people want an XT with 5-speed and the premium leather and moonroof package that's available up North but not here; can they buy it up North and bring it down?

Why wouldn't SOA offer this combination here?
  • Options
    dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    My XT is just about perfect and I'd like to add XM or Sirius radio. Does the XT's radio have an auxiliary input? I'd prefer sticking with the factory radio then going aftermarket.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I forget who, but someone was just looking into ways to plug an iPod into a WRX. He might have more info, try that thread.

I doubt they'll honor the warranty on a Canadian Subaru. The speedo is also in KM, never mind that the prices are pretty high in Canada.

-juice
  • Options
    I believe that was Craig aka c_hunter :)

-Dave
  • Options
    There is your lead, then. Hit the WRX thread and do a search for iPod, it was recent.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    If I *had* to live with a KM speedo, so be it! ;-) I have a Weber Genesis grill I bought from the factory (clearance sale) that was a Canadian model (more French text on it than normal as well as what little English on it is in smaller text). It was the only model left that had a natural gas hookup.

I'm betting they start bringing XT MT PP's in to the U.S. for the '05 MY. All they have to do is allocate some for the U.S., shouldn't be a big deal to do.

-Brian
  • Options
    I bet that grille has a temp guage that read Celsuis. :o)

-juice
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Natural gas WEBER grills are the BEST, but I digress...

Len
  • Options
    I mean - you can grill on an engine can't you? But, speaking of grills - we prefer the Weber charcoal kettle type (with a chimney for hickory smokin' ribs!!)

I think some folks here have recipes for Rally Bread and grilled turbo!

Patti
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    No lie, I once had some work done on my old car. A day later I smell burning oil. I pop the hood and not only find the oil cap is gone, but there are chicken wing bones sitting next to the battery!

Jon
This discussion has been closed.