-September 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,108

Oh oh time to book my flight to Florida.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/6083537215.html

This is so quirky and they made so few of them that this might be collectable in another 40 years.

I think I would buy it myself if I could.....it looks great, and nothing looks phony like some of the others....mismatched panels, wrong discs, phony paint job etc.

I don't think those cars are that desirable from a collectors standpoint...but that keeps the price lower....just MHO

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

houdini1 said:

Yeah...if you kinda squint a little...sure.....

fintail said:

I'm tellin ya, it's a Florida thing - must be the relentless sun and bath salts at work ;)

Funny, like the one I posted, the ad is in CL Atlanta, quite a distance away. Wonder if this is some elaborate scam.
    I still think it looks like a 2006 Pixar.

Maybe printed out on a 3-D printer??
    btw...this car is definitely an old Malibu...the other is a rip off Bentley!

Michaell said:

What IS Corinthian leather anyway? :@

More than you ever wanted to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather
    That's funny..........it really means nothing. In short;
    When Montalban was asked by David Letterman on Late Night with David Letterman what the term meant, the actor playfully admitted that the term meant nothing

RR nice looking Mini.......Do you get discounts if you buy them from your place of work and is that where it came from?

Also, anyone remember hearing from Mike lately?

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,724

This is so quirky and they made so few of them that this might be collectable in another 40 years.

I dunno.....2 grand? Heck, you can part it out and probably recoup your money after driving it for a couple of years.

I had one as a rental when I went to CA for an interview years ago. It probably was around '92. I remember the company was a start up and I was established at a large Silicon Valley Tech (Palo Alton was my "official" office) Company (known for copiers, but I was in their computer division).

I suppose the start up wanted to impress me because that's the rental they had me pick up, and they put me up in a super nice boutique hotel in Sausalito.

Nothing stood out about the car, but it was comfy. As AB said, not particularly quick, didn't handle badly, but didn't handle well, either. Cush ride with lots of tech (for the time). Clearly on a stretched K Car wheelbase.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 51,276
    I am 6', with a disproportionately long torso (so I "sit" about 6'2" or 6'3"), and still get a moonroof. Very few cars is it really a problem, and in those (like my Integra) I probably didn't fit too well without one either. Most normal cars, not an issue. If my head clears by 1/8th of an inch, I fit! Anything else is just wasted space.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I remember getting Dodge Dynasty rental cars in about 1988. They always looked pretty classy, but the driving dynamics were almost nonexistent. What I found to be the worst part was the velour seats caused really strong electric shocks when you slid on the seat to get in and out. It was like torture after awhile....I got dread getting in or out of the car.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 23,132
    fintail said:

The Imperial is amusing, haven't seen one of those in ages, even here, where old cars thrive. I remember when those were new, and my young self was amazed anyone would buy one for the price asked when new. Today, as only the best 81-83s have any value, and even many 60s-70s ones aren't particularly expensive, I'd look at it as maybe a plush driver rather than future collectible.

I have to start using smiley faces to indicate when I'm being ironic. ;) None of my quirky cars are collectable, especially after I'm done with them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I dunno.....2 grand? Heck, you can part it out and probably recoup your money after driving it for a couple of years.

I had one as a rental when I went to CA for an interview years ago. It probably was around '92. I remember the company was a start up and I was established at a large Silicon Valley Tech (Palo Alton was my "official" office) Company (known for copiers, but I was in their computer division).

I suppose the start up wanted to impress me because that's the rental they had me pick up, and they put me up in a super nice boutique hotel in Sausalito.

Nothing stood out about the car, but it was comfy. As AB said, not particularly quick, didn't handle badly, but didn't handle well, either. Cush ride with lots of tech (for the time). Clearly on a stretched K Car wheelbase.
    I would buy it because (forgive me) I like the looks and because it was a testament to how far they could stretch those K car frames. I bet in an accident it would fold like a Slinky.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

OK, it's a sickness, I know. I even have one of these already but it's getting kinda beat and this one is a LSC with GG's Cobra motor. So....

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/6088423532.html

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,899
    Okay, I'm changing the name of my club to the "Over 6' tall club (>6')" Rather than my previously mentioned 6' and over club. :smile:

Yes, the real problem lies with sporty low-roofed coupes, which I've been spending some time looking at lately.

You really need more head room in the RC 350, the Q60, and M235i.
    '21 BMW X3 M40i, '15 Audi S4, '16 Audi TTS, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,530
    Cars that look like a toad that's been run over don't do much for me, but it's clear that that's why they run horse races -- everyone has a different opinion.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,291
    edited April 2017
    fintail said:

Haven't seen any credible data about MB cheating emissions regulations, either. I have to imagine if it was true, a well-compensated and egoistic regulator would have announced it by now - that kind of thing is their meal ticket.

When I watched Marco's youtube link of Autoline Daily for car news, it was in there with the article about VW/Audi still not passing according to testing by some Euro groups. The MB mentioned the defeat device allegations in the US in their annual report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykfaNV0CD4Q

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,463
    There was a story on Automotive News Canada the last week or so about how M-B has withdrawn all diesel models from the Canadian market because of problems getting certification from regulators. That probably doesn't mean a whole lot given the small size of the Canadian market and the expense involved in certification but it is another data point at least.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

OK, it's a sickness, I know. I even have one of these already but it's getting kinda beat and this one is a LSC with GG's Cobra motor. So....

The old man Elton is quite a poet.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,653
    driver100 said:

RR nice looking Mini.......Do you get discounts if you buy them from your place of work and is that where it came from?

I bought it from the daughter of a friend, but I believe I can buy Mini parts through my center's parts department- and possibly have some service work done there as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,160

That's a purchase I could actually get behind. Would make a nice extra car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,564
    Take the Lincoln over the Imperial, probably more reliable too. IIRC those Chrysler 6cyl cars would either puke the transmission or start burning oil, or both.

I have to start using smiley faces to indicate when I'm being ironic. ;) None of my quirky cars are collectable, especially after I'm done with them.

I wonder if the problem is with the cars or regulators. None are new models, and I don't know if any regulations have changed. Probably for the better for dealers - with negative VW press, they'd probably be slow sellers. My E250 sat for months.
    ab348 said:

There was a story on Automotive News Canada the last week or so about how M-B has withdrawn all diesel models from the Canadian market because of problems getting certification from regulators. That probably doesn't mean a whole lot given the small size of the Canadian market and the expense involved in certification but it is another data point at least.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    stickguy said:

I am 6', with a disproportionately long torso (so I "sit" about 6'2" or 6'3"), and still get a moonroof. Very few cars is it really a problem, and in those (like my Integra) I probably didn't fit too well without one either. Most normal cars, not an issue. If my head clears by 1/8th of an inch, I fit! Anything else is just wasted space.

An 1/8 th inch clearance wouldn't work for me because I couldn't afford the car if I had to get a haircut every 6 days. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

We need a new site for CLAs..............Craigs List Addicts. Oldfarmer should be the monitor.

I must say, if any of these cars are as good as they seem they really are great buys. I find it hard to believe there are that many 15 year old cars around with 65k miles, in like new condition, and priced at a few $1000s. And why are they always on CL?

edited April 2017
    ab348 said:

One of my friends has a 2016 A6 diesel that his wife drives. They like the car, but, she wants to go back to an SUV, mainly because she loads the car up with junk and she likes to just throw stuff in the back. He wanted to trade it in but no one will take it as a trade-in, not even an Audi dealer. I guess everyone is waiting to find out what the payout will be....but, this doesn't make you want to buy another one.

Even if they got certified, it seems people aren't as interested in diesels since the VW dilemma. That is what fintail was saying, sales of diesels have really fallen off. Maybe diesel fuel will get even cheaper though!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,489

driver100 said:

One of my friends has a 2016 A6 diesel that his wife drives. They like the car, but, she wants to go back to an SUV, mainly because she loads the car up with junk and she likes to just throw stuff in the back. He wanted to trade it in but no one will take it as a trade-in, not even an Audi dealer. I guess everyone is waiting to find out what the payout will be....but, this doesn't make you want to buy another one.

Even if they got certified, it seems people aren't as interested in diesels since the VW dilemma. That is what fintail was saying, sales of diesels have really fallen off. Maybe diesel fuel will get even cheaper though!

If it is in the US, I'm sure you could find a few takers for it here!
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited April 2017
    driver100 said:

We need a new site for CLAs..............Craigs List Addicts. Oldfarmer should be the monitor.

I must say, if any of these cars are as good as they seem they really are great buys. I find it hard to believe there are that many 15 year old cars around with 65k miles, in like new condition, and priced at a few $1000s. And why are they always on CL?
    The Mark which I bought had the same milage back in 2013 and I paid about $3200. Perfect? Heck no but it started and drove every day for almost 4 years and 35,000 miles.

Still does.

Mine has a gas saver 3:09 rear so it's no screamer except when the RPMs get up on the highway. That LSC has a 3:73 ratio IIRC and a few extra horses so it would be fun off the line.

Ahh perchance to dream.....

driver100 said:

I bought it from the daughter of a friend, but I believe I can buy Mini parts through my center's parts department- and possibly have some service work done there as well.

I'd love to get a Mini for the crisp handling but the one I sat in at an auto show had my knees in the steering wheel. It was a convertible I think because I remember the top of the windshield frame was right in my line of vision. I never could have driven it unless I was laying across the seat.

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I think the pollution mandates will ultimately kill diesels in cars. The system's required are very finicky and expensive. Also the ultra low sulphur fuel is more expensive than unleaded regular. I can run my Mustang on regular if I want to but there's no alternative for ULS diesel except French fry oil.

Ah, I missed that, thanks. Allegations are allegations, I assume started by DUH, a very political German greenie group who points fingers a lot but seldom gets traction. As far as I know, their allegations are all about models not sold on this continent (older 4cyl diesels).

When I watched Marco's youtube link of Autoline Daily for car news, it was in there with the article about VW/Audi still not passing according to testing by some Euro groups. The MB mentioned the defeat device allegations in the US in their annual report.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,182

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I think the pollution mandates will ultimately kill diesels in cars. The system's required are very finicky and expensive. Also the ultra low sulphur fuel is more expensive than unleaded regular. I can run my Mustang on regular if I want to but there's no alternative for ULS diesel except French fry oil.
    Good for trucks.........it seems electricity is the future for cars, cleaner, neater, and, forgive me.............
    not as "crude".

fintail said:

I wonder if the problem is with the cars or regulators. None are new models, and I don't know if any regulations have changed.

The video news mentioned "defeat devices" so I infer that means the cars might pass testing but like the VW/Audi and others of the VW family the cars actually intentionally turned off the pollution controls when not being tested...

I can't get a definitive answer but it seems MB isn't offering diesels in the US at this time for a variety of reasons...but it seems they want to continue. Some reasons include;
    1) Testing has been more rigorous, so it is taking a long time to tune the engines properly
    2) MB says diesel sales only make up 1% of sales
    3) BMWs's Diesel models are finally arriving....after careful testing by the EPA
    4) Mercedes is still trying to get Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification for diesel versions of the GLS-Class, GLC-Class, and GLE-Class SUVs, with the GLS diesel as its highest priority. The automaker recently confirmed that it will not import the C300d diesel sedan

All manufacturers will receive more rigorous testing for their diesel engines;
    *Officials at General Motors (NYSE:GM) say that new diesel-powered versions of the midsize Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups will be the first vehicles subjected to strict new emissions tests imposed by the U.S. government. These models won't be ready until late this year.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles may have used illegal software for emission controls to get more than 100,000 trucks and SUVs through emissions testing, the EPA said Thursday.

The agency avoided dubbing that software "defeat devices," but it has asked FCA to explain up to eight auxiliary emissions control devices (AECD) in the engine's control software.

It found those routines while attempting to certify 2017 model year versions of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 with the company's EcoDiesel 3.0-liter V-6 AECD devices are not allowed.

It seems getting diesel engines to reach EPA guidelines is very difficult......and that will probably kill the market.

Mazda announced that after 5 years of trying, their Diesel engine is finally arriving this fall in the CX 5. I'm anxious to try it out.

edited April 2017
    driver100 said:
    At first I thought $9k was too pricey for my beer budget, then I saw the milage. That would be a great car to use as an Uber driver if you could afford the gas.

You guys shouldn't tease me with cars like that. My wife wouldn't understand why I went out for breakfast and ended up in Oregon. :o

I got a 2001 town car signature at my local guy. Looks clean. Only $1500. With a low, low 225,000 miles

Paying for the gas would eat up any profits you made as an Uber driver.

stickguy said:
    I may be picky....but the gap on the hood looks larger on the ride side of the hood, and the gap on the trunk seems wider on the left side in those pictures. But hey, for $1500 you can't expect perfection. Just sitting in that lounger may be worth 1500 bucks!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,182
    edited April 2017

stickguy said:

I got a 2001 town car signature at my local guy. Looks clean. Only $1500. With a low, low 225,000 miles

Ahh... the unloved 98-02.   225K some cab company will buy it and run it to 500k.   I've been in several of that generation with mileage well into 400s.  I've also seen one with 550k.  Only real problem in those years was the plastic intake manifold.   Replace it with the aluminum crossover item and swap the air springs for coils and away you go and go and go. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

I can't get a definitive answer but it seems MB isn't offering diesels in the US at this time for a variety of reasons...but it seems they want to continue. Some reasons include;
    1) Testing has been more rigorous, so it is taking a long time to tune the engines properly
    2) MB says diesel sales only make up 1% of sales
    3) BMWs's Diesel models are finally arriving....after careful testing by the EPA
    4) Mercedes is still trying to get Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification for diesel versions of the GLS-Class, GLC-Class, and GLE-Class SUVs, with the GLS diesel as its highest priority. The automaker recently confirmed that it will not import the C300d diesel sedan

In the AutoNews video it says that MB notes the possible expense of a loss due to the cheating investigation in its quarterly earnings statement. I don't hold any ADRs in MB, so I'm not on that mailing list, but I'm sure it's available on the internet somewhere.

stickguy said:

Mazda announced that after 5 years of trying, their Diesel engine is finally arriving this fall in the CX 5. I'm anxious to try it out.

That sounds like typical Mazda - introduce something just as the market has moved on to something else.

edited April 2017
    tjc78 said:

Ahh... the unloved 98-02.   225K some cab company will buy it and run it to 500k.   I've been in several of that generation with mileage well into 400s.  I've also seen one with 550k.  Only real problem in those years was the plastic intake manifold.   Replace it with the aluminum crossover item and swap the air springs for coils and away you go and go and go. 

When I was working we used a car service for transportation to events. They had a fleet of Town Cars with a few big SUVs and limos thrown in. The drivers would tell me the TCs would go 300-400K easily. They kept them well-maintained and remarkably the interiors seemed almost like new.

Unless it develops beyond allegations and accusations, I can't be too concerned. I have to consider the sources of these claims

If it's good enough for politicos, it is good enough for corporations who are people too, right? :)

The video news mentioned "defeat devices" so I infer that means the cars might pass testing but like the VW/Audi and others of the VW family the cars actually intentionally turned off the pollution controls when not being tested...

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,724

OF...I like the Lincoln, too. Lot of car for what you could probably get for $3K.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Not in California. There's a new tax coming down the pike and it looks like diesel fuel will take something like a .20 cents a gallon spike. This tax is for road and transit infrastructure repair. Increases in gas taxes are not peculiar to CA--some 17 states have raised gas taxes since 2013, and half of them are GOP-controlled, so it appears to be a bi-partisan solution in state government--since the Federal government won't do it.

There will also be an annual tax on electric vehicles and an increase in all vehicle registration fees.

The tax comes about due to decreased revenue from falling gas prices, higher fuel efficiency, more EVs and hybrids.

Since CA is the diesel car's largest market, it puts a little more grief into diesel car marketing, making diesel fuel more expensive than RUG now.
    edited April 2017
    stickguy said:
    I would trust the engine to be ok at that milage as taxis sometimes go 400k but I'd worry that everything else on the car would break. $1495? The dealer is giving you the car for the cost of honoring the 30 day warranty.

edited April 2017
    Pretty good deal if it runs out ok. What you do with cars like this is take them (alone) on a test drive and run the crap out of it. If nothing blows up, or leaks out, or sputters, or slips, or shrieks in agony, buy it. You can fix up the small stuff later...or not. And of course, clean the carpet where someone apparently beheaded that chicken.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Not in California. There's a new tax coming down the pike and it looks like diesel fuel will take something like a .20 cents a gallon spike. This tax is for road and transit infrastructure repair. Increases in gas taxes are not peculiar to CA--some 17 states have raised gas taxes since 2013, and half of them are GOP-controlled, so it appears to be a bi-partisan solution in state government--since the Federal government won't do it.

There will also be an annual tax on electric vehicles and an increase in all vehicle registration fees.

The tax comes about due to decreased revenue from falling gas prices, higher fuel efficiency, more EVs and hybrids.

Since CA is the diesel car's largest market, it puts a little more grief into diesel car marketing, making diesel fuel more expensive than RUG now.
    Whoever said we can at least breath tax free will be proven wrong sooner than we think.

Lost revenue from gas taxes will hurt all of us sooner than later. I don't know what they will call this tax but there will be a name for it...maybe "Cost of Staying Alive Tax".

I've been taking bigger gulps of air lately in anticipation of having to cut back in a few years.

This save the environment initiative is almost enough to take your breath away. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

And subsidizing Tesla and Leaf drivers, too. I suspect the EV tax will be a pittance, more than compensated for by ridiculous tax credits.

This discussion has been closed.