Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• lugwrenchlugwrench Posts: 213
    To bad you were not a salesman at our local Honda dealer. The mechanics would be talking your ear off when they found time. They are constantly working on blown balancer shaft seals, installing new fuel sending units, replacing SRS modules, trying to correct rattles in moon roofs as well as dash boards, and trying to get air conditioning units cooling to specifications. This is in addition to replacing V-6 automatic transmissions in 6th Generation Accords.It's tough to even get an appointment for an oil change and car inspection. Let's just say the Honda techs are constantly busy.
    Also resurfacing warped rotors. When I do go in for service, at least I get a free car wash. Poor guy is always backed up washing repaired vehicles.
  • It seems that everyone in this forum is moaning about a few RARE problems. Remember, they are cars and how some things preform are a direct result of their drivers-- especially pads, rotors etc
    I have both a 88 Accord LX and 2001 Accord EX, can they have problems ... sure .. but much less than other cars I even considered VW, GM-Pontiac-Saturn, toyota... to name a few
    1. Take it to a good dealer or mechanic
    2. Drive it correctly
    3. Be happy its an excellent quality automobile!!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    And if you go to a hospital you'll see a lot of sick people.

I can think of a lot of other brands where you'll see a heck of a lot more cars being fixed!

Try a domestic or VW dealer sometime!

Funny...I never managed to warp my rotors. The original pads will probably go another 30,000 miles provided a non abusive driver buys it.
  • Simply put, it has slipped. Sure the Accord is better than a Chevy Malibu or a Dodge Stratus. The big question is, is it better than the Toyota Camry or Nissan Maxima quality wise? I would definitely have to say no to the current Accord. The Accord at one time was the benchmark in the industry but it is no more. Quality wise, the best car Honda builds is the S-2000 roadster. The Honda Accord just doesn't have the same quality standards it once had.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    "Try a domestic or a VW"

Don't try to portrait current Honda products as the ultimate and glorified quality benchmark...

fast foward to 2001...domestics are no longer the junk of the Disco era and VW has also move forward in this regard.

Of course you will never admit that in the open.

After reading some of the entries made in the Honda Oddyssey, Honda Accord and Honda Civic boards, further substantiate that Honda's have lost the edge for quality they once enjoyed. Honda is still a small company by comparison with a very small product line also by comparison...they can't afford to cut corners if they want to remain soverign and independent from future take overs.

Some domestics are very, very close to the quality indexes of current bread and butter Honda offerings...Honda lives off of a reputation gained and lost long ago.....
    You've been around these forums for a long time now. You have always taken a very adverse position against Hondas and do your best to share anything negative.

I'm not sure of the reason for this, but I think the newer people here need to know this.

And, I'll admit it, I'm a bit (or more than a bit) defensive about a product that I own, sell, and believe in.

We should probably leave it at that.

No one car will please everybody and people should buy what suits them.

Has quality slipped? Honestly, I don't believe so but I do know that it's the buyer's PERCEPTION that really matters.

Honda will have to continue to build a great, reliable product or they will suffer the results.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    I don't know about previous generations of honda, because my first one was a 2k lx v6, but there were initial problems of hard starting(replaced ecm and fuel pressure regulator), scratched window(replaced), improper installation of window gasket(repaired), stripped bolts in the air cleaner box(replaced box) and I have the funny acting fuel gauge. Also had to have an alignment done at 15k(techs advised me of the need only after the 12k limit for free alignment had been exceeded).
    It's a nice car, but the initial problems have been many and do reflect poorly about quality control, design , suppliers and assembly.
    Because of the above, my confidence has been shaken and for peace of mind I have shelled out another large sum of money for the Hondacare extended warranty. Being a Honda no longer means bullet proof, at least in my opinion.
  • dmac8dmac8 Posts: 54
    I'm in the market for a car and am looking at the Accord. One of my present vehicles is a 1986 Acura Legend, which I've owned from new. It has 150,000 miles and has been remarkable in terms of reliability. My only wish is I'd owned it from the beginning in California and would not have any rust issues.If I could, I'd replace it with the exact same car.

My first choice to replace it would be with the current Acura RL, but that is $44,000. While looking at that car, I also looked at the TL and CL, which are built in the US. IMHO, they are lesser cars, in quality appearance, than the Japanese ones.

Similarly, when I look at the exterior and interior of an Accord, Camry or Impala, I'm not struck by one having any quality advantage over the other. In fact, there are many elements of my 86 Acura that are of much higher quality.

I conduct a fair amount of business in Japan, and one of the common features of their manufacturing is low speed, and often, low volume.

Almost all of the early generation of Japanese cars fit into this category, and their quality levels were very high.

In Southern California, I see lots of 1980 Accord Coupes, like one I had in Chicago, still running around. One of my friends has a 1984 Accord sedan with 220,000 miles on it and this prompted him to buy an 01 Accord. Nice car, but I'm not sure it's content is as good as the 84.

When the Japanese became mass producers in the US, they were shopping the same component manufacturers as everyone else. Obviously, engineering and design play a part in this, and the Japanese, as well as the domestics, have an edge.

My conclusion is that the quality of Japanese namebrands produced in the US has definately slipped from the quality that gained the beachead. At the same time, domestic quality has increased dramatically.

Since expectations are so high for Honda and Toyota, they are subject to criticism on things domestics might get a pass on. But the worst thing for them is to live solely off their reputation.

In the old days, we might buy a domestic car and be thankful if it went 100,000 miles. Now people expect, with reasonable maintenance, that their Accord will go 250,000 miles. Honda has proven this with earlier products.

The question is, can we expect the same from the present generation of vehicles?
    I have to agree with dmac8, the mass produced 6th Generation Accords are not up to par with earlier JAPANESE built generations. Anytime you have US parts suppliers involved in mass producing certain parts, you are bound to have problems. The fuel sending unit comes first to my mind. To me, it is almost now to the point if you want to buy an Accord, you hope the Vin number starts with the letter J. J of course stands for Japanese built. When Honda was producing lesser number of autos, their quality control was top notch! Let's face the facts, if you sell Hondas like isellhondas, you will never admit to flaws in the 6th Generation Accord. Honda has cheapened up on a lot of features to make the car competitive on the open market in North American and abroad. In conclusion, Honda has slipped in reliability and in quality of their overall product.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    V6 engine (I think that gets rid of balancer shaft seal issues, isn't that a 4cyl problem) and 5 speed. That gets rid of the auto transaxle issues. :grin:

HTH

TB
  • Maybe cut down on production numbers per day and instituting more stringent quality control inspections before final assembly?
    Please don't tell the readers here what I will and will not admit to.

Problems...sure! A few like ANY car. The question here relates to a slipping of quality.

I don't believe so, but it's the opinion of the public that really matters.

For the sake of Honda, I hope this isn't the case.
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Posts: 163
    I think the Honda Accord is going the route of the Mercedes Benz. In the early to mid 1990's, Mercedes Benz was considered a very high quality vehicle that would give you minimum problems. The Accord during that same period was considered to be a benchmark in quality.Unfortunately, both manufacturers have slipped since 1998 and their cars have become more problematic.If you ask a salesman at either dealership, they will tell you they build the best cars in the world. I can see their reasoning as they are equating what the Honda or Mercedes reliability precepperception todays market. Let's face, both have slipped quality wise. Maybe it is that they are mass producing cars for the American market and cutting corners? I think this is the primary reason for a decreased level of quality on the production line.Like it or not, the Honda Accord of 2001 isn't of the same quality standards of the Honda Accord of 1992 or 1993 for that matter. It is time to realize that the Accord isn't what it use to be. (Just like the old gray mare).
    perception---darn spell check!
    Sorry if I offended you isellhondas. As a car salesman I thought you would have thicker skin. It is tough to get a car salesman to admit to anything wrong with the product they sell. This comes to mind with a Yugo salesman I came in contact with back in 1987 at a house party. I kept smiling and telling him "sure they are a great car" to humor him. Honda Accords are good cars today as compared to great cars back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. More problems also seem to be the norm and not the exception.
    I totally disagree with you.

You should probably buy something different and better if you can find it.
  • I have a 2001 LX 5spd. It is a peppy, efficient and comfortable vehicle. I wonder if there isn't a kind of perfectionism going on. For the name and the price, I expect more from Honda than a domestic. I haven't had a major issue with my car. I am having the driver-side mirror replaced because it wasn't sealed properly. A wind-whistle at highway speed is being addressed. I have noticed that the front passenger door is only marginally mis-aligned near the bottom of the window and the fabric material in the trunk doesn't quite fit properly in one small place. These are things I can deal with. That being said, I wonder if the little things say something about Honda's reputation for attention to detail? Still, as a relatively new Honda owner, what a beautiful car to drive!
  • dwillia4dwillia4 Posts: 17
    List a source that provides actual data that proves that Honda's quality is sub-par now. Or how about a long term test by one of the auto magazines or web sites? I've searched but haven't found anything that suggests that Honda's quality has slipped. The reason why I ask this is because I own two late model Hondas (2000 Odyssey, 2001 Accord). Both vehicles have been flawless so far. I have relatives and friends that own late model Hondas and they are not having the types of problems the one would associate with quality issues. Believe me, I'm not trying to defend Honda. I just want to see actual data as opposed to anecdotal forum postings. You all have to admit, there are a lot more Accords on the road now than there were 10 years ago. You also have to admit that the Accord is an exceptional value right now. Is there another $20,000 sedan that's produced and sold in the numbers that the Accord is that has better quality, customer satisfaction ratings, and resale value? Are your facts based upon your actual ownership experiences? Or is it based upon browsing the NHSTA site and Edmund's forums. Just curious...
  • pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    I love a good little fight. Both lugwrench and isellhondas both have some good points, and I've acutally learned something from them. About my car that is! But they're (and most of us) being subjective about things for which we don't have any representative (ie: objective) facts. How many FSU's (Fuel Sending Units) had to be replaced? How many Moon Roofs have noise problems? Hey, I'm the same way, can't help it. When my FSU gave me funny readings, I went nuts! My perception is that Honda makes an extremely good car (Honda Accord) but that Quality is lower than in the past. Can't prove it and would still recommend my Accord Coupe to others. Still a great car. BTW, CU (Consumers Union - ie: Consumer Reports) attempts to keep statistics even if they are a bit too generalized.

Anyway, lugwrench and isellhondas: please do keep up with your comments. You've done nothing wrong, and actually contributed a lot.
  • iwantoneiwantone Posts: 52
    HOW CAN ANYONE EXPECT MANMADE MACHINES TO BE PERFECT.? HONDA CAN NOT BUILD A PERFECT CAR. HONDA IS NOT THE ONLY CAR THAT HAS PROBLEMS IF
    SO THERE WOULD BE ONLY POSTS FROM HONDA OWNERS. THE QUALITY OF EVERYTHING HAS GONE DOWN - CARS, EQUIPMENT, FOOD AND CLOTHING. MASS
    PRODUCTION HAS SOME DRAWBACKS. WE GET MORE AND WE LOST SOMETHING. IMPERFECT HUMANS ARE DESIGNING THESE IMPERFECT NEW CARS REMEMBER THAT.
    It is not that Honda quality is sub-par but that Honda quality is slipping. When you start cutting corners, this happens in the best of automobiles. Just take a look at the EX V-6 exhaust for example. Paint chipping off the mufflers is so common that Honda wants you to just accept it. A $25,000 car without chrome exhaust extenders? Honda wants you to now buy them as an option where back in 1995 they were standard even on the LX! As far as the wind whistle is concerned, Hondas have had that problem since 1994 on the Accords and they still haven't corrected it! The V-6 transmission problems in the Accord since 1998 still haven't been addressed since they are still occurring!Blaming a transmission supplier for a few faulty units? Why is it still happening then? The Accord is a good car but it is not a great car anymore. Go to Consumer Reports and check where it stands in reliability as indicated in the April 2001 annual auto issue. It is not #1! The complaint file at the NHSTA has ballooned on the Accord since 1998. The complaints that are posted there over and over indicate that the 6th Generation Accord is the most troublesome Accord ever regarding complaints filed.
    Whatever...black paint chipping off the back of a muffler? Wow! that's a BIG DEAL!!

Didn't know the transmission problem was "still" happening. Thanks for letting us know.

I sure love my 99 EX-V6 coupe! It does NOTHING wrong and is a dream to drive...wait...I better go check the paint on my mufflers! Where's the heat resistant Krylon when I need it?

Anselmo...my point is this, and ONLY this...

If you don't like Hondas...GREAT! Buy something else!
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Posts: 157
    Paint on the rear muffler peels on just about every car. I've even seen Toyota's with peeling muffler paint. That's no big deal! If you don't like it, paint it again, or strip the paint completely off or get some nice aftermarket mufflers, like I did.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Long append....

I just have to post my 2 cents worth here. I bought my first Honda (an Odyssey) in Nov. 1998 after owning nothing but Chevy, Ford, and Chryslers. I bought my second Honda (a CRV) in May 1999 and my third Honda (an Accord) just last week. I traded in the 1999 Odyssey (26K miles) on the Accord. The Odyssey was bought new in Nov. 1998 for $23600 and traded in for $19500. Held it's value pretty good huh? You should see what the "best selling" Chrysler Town & Country mini-van goes for. Had I bought that instead of the Odyssey, I'd have taken a killing on the trade-in.

I did have a few problems with the Odyssey, brakes and alignment several times, cost me $65. out of my pocket in the 2 1/2 years I owned it, that is other than the Honda recommended maintenance items.

My CRV is the first and only vehicle that I NEVER had to take it to the dealer for even one minor problem. I've had the recommended maintenance done religiously. You should see people [non-permissible content removed] and moan on the CRV forum about the CRV not being a true SUV and lacking power. Hell, that's well known. It's not designed to be a true SUV and the horsepower and torque numbers are right there to see. It's designed to be a run-about vehicle that won't break down or get stuck in normal on-road driving. In my opinion Honda far exceeded my expectations with my CRV.

The other vehicles I owned prior to my Hondas didn't hold any value, some were more reliable than others, but not nearly as reliable as the Hondas I've owned.

I also see a huge difference with the dealer and manufacturer in terms of my customer satisfaction. Hell, I never heard at all from the American manufacturer or the dealer after I bought the car. Both the Honda dealer and American Honda "badger" me constantly about my experience after buying each of the Hondas and also after servicing the Odyssey.

It's a tough job for Honda to better the Accord each time a new generation comes out. But it still beats any GM, Ford, or Chrysler out there in term of reliability and resale value. That's what counts.

I've rambled on enough, give isellhondas a break, go buy a Ford Explorer with the Firestone tires.
    Coming from a non sales type, people might believe you.

BTW, the depreciation in Chrysler minivans is perhaps worse than you think. We are getting buy bids for 2000-2500 below wholesale on these!
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    Well I'm seriously considering buying an Accord so this topic is very interesting. I haven't heard anyone suggest another car as good as the Accord in the same price range, so I guess the overall theme is that all cars are getting worse and that I should buy used.

I will say that I have owned a Civic for the last five years and it has never been in the shop for anything other than an oil change! In fact, I think I've only opened up the hood myself twice in all that time just to add some windshield wiper fluid. The only reason I want to trade this car is because the acceration stinks and I want more room. The older Accords just don't get me excited like the new coupes, so I guess I'll roll the dice and take my chances.
  • Here is a list of cars that overall are better than the Honda Accord according to Consumer Reports magazine:1. VW Passat2. Toyota Camry3. Nissan MaximaReliability and frequency of repair are far listed above the Accord.The first year Odyssey under the new design was quite troublesome. The 2001 Odyssey was listed as tops by Consumer Reports with only average reliability.The CRV is a good mini SUV but it is beaten out by the RAV4 and the Subaru Forester in CSU ratings each year.Chrysler products have always had one of the highest deprecation rates in the industry.(esceptions being the Proexceptionsr and their new retro mini) You take a beating when you drive the vehicle new off the lot. And talk about transmissions, Chrysler has the worst in the industry. Everyone knows of these facts. The Accord Coupe is a very nice looking car. I would take the I-4 over the V-6 due to the tranmission problems encounttransmission V-6.As far as chipping paint on the Accord muffler, it looks tackey on a new car. I don't care what anybody says. It looks like another design flaw or supplier problem. Maybe Honda is getting them from the same supplier of Toyota? Yes, I have seen their chipping muffler paint also.Just thought I would throw in my two cents. By the way, I do not sell Hondas for a living or affiliated with Honda America.
  • jackielejackiele Posts: 22
    Please don't ever let anyone think that the VW Passat is better than the Accord. That car is the biggest POS ever made. They have more issues than my ex mother-in-law! I'm the proud owner of a new Accord EX-6. I absolutely love it. When I turn it on in the morning I sometimes have to listen very carefully to make sure that it's running - it's soooo quiet. No rattles, squeaks, nothing...just a perfect beautiful car. It's a car that you can't go wrong with - and, it will always hold it's resale value. This car is the biggest bargain yet!
  • neil73neil73 Posts: 7
    I was intrigued by this topic since I have had 105K trouble-free miles with my 1996 Honda Accord LX. For the price and it's purpose I just don't see any reason to chose another model over the Accord. I don't expect a car to be perfect but after 5 years of ownership I have never been hit with a major repair bill and everything still works properly. I'll buy another Accord. Can't say the same for the Chevy sold. BTW, my Accord was built in Marysville, Ohio.
This discussion has been closed.