Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    I had car serviced today and mentioned the way the fuel gauge acted. Service writer patiently listened to my description of its characteristics and said they would look at it. When I picked up the car paper work showed fuel sending unit replaced. I asked him if this was a common problem and he answered with a rather evasive "yes". I also asked if honda had redesigned this part and he said they did something because the 2001 have not had the problem. Any truth to that? Mine's a 2k lx v6.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Posts: 213
    When are you going to "admit" to the V-6 Accord transmission problems that you say are isolated. Probably no big deal to you but how about the poor guy when he gets 40K on his V-6 and the transmission fails? Does Honda know something since they have a 3 year 36K powertrain warranty? Do you think Honda will give that guy a free fix under their one time "good will gesture" program? I think not!By the way, have you checked yet for the undercarriage rust yet? We would all like to know!
    was in stock. No need to order. Had it replaced in half hour. Funny, I always thought that due to limited space, service depts. only stocked parts they regularly replace and have to order the rarely replaced ones. Is this an indication of the frequency of this problem? I think so.
  • mikeg61mikeg61 Posts: 28
    I've owned Hondas since 1984, and in total members of my family have owned 15. My 1994 Accord, which was the first I'd bought that was built in Marysville, OH, was delivered with a leaking axle seal and a split CV boot. At 1,000 miles, the right axle needed to be replaced because it was out of round. At about 10,000 the left tie rod end gave out. I've also had 3 fuel gauge sending units replaced. From 15,000 to 90,000 miles there were few problems.

At 87,000 I had the water pump and timing belt done, and the balance shaft seal let go less than 4,000 miles later, spewing oil all over the timing belt. Fortunately, this happened in my driveway, so the engine didn't seize. This was in 1998, before the TSB and retainer clip silent recall. I've been fighting with Honda since November trying to get reimbursed for the cost of a new timing belt, seals and labor. Honda has one of the weakest B2B warranties in the business, especially for powertrain. After the experience with this car and Honda's "customer service", think I'm going to buy another one? Naaah.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I'm so glad several people have brought my attention to the possibility of rust on the undersides of my car.

I have just returned from my garage and crawling under my 1994 Ford Ranger pickup.

HORRORS!!!!! There is rust, grease smears, road oil and grit, and it appears there is even a large amount of dirt under there!!!!!! Not just on the muffler and exhaust, but the frame and entire sheet metal from front to back.

I hope I can calm down some. When I can regain some of my composure, I'm going back out to the garage again. It will probably take the use of my floor jack, but I'm going under my Cadillac next. I'LL BE EXPECTING A MUCH CLEANER AND RUST FREE ENVIRONMENT THERE! AFTER ALL IT IS A CADILLAC! Rust on the bottom of Hondas and Fords might be expected, but Cadillac had better shine!
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Yeah, the underside will shine, but I'll bet good money the body panels won't be aligned right, the dash will squeak, etc.
    Honda should reimburse you as long as you have your receipts. Same thing happened to my friend's 1994 Accord with 240K on the odometer. Happened in his driveway also! This was before the Honda notice. When he the notice about the retainer clip was sent to him by Honda, he sent in the receipts and he was reimbursed. This did include the timing belt since it was ruined by the seal blowing.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I was pretty busy at work yesterday and I'm off today. I did follow a new Accord that was ahead of me on a demo drive and I didn't see any rust.

I'm off today but I'll try to look tomorrow.

lugnut...I'm sooooo sick of explaining this again and again and again...BUT...

Some Odysseys and V-6 Accords were affected with a glitch in their transmissions. This problem didn't cause a failure, but resulted in a "thunk" or a "clunk" while in reverse. Some of these experienced some kind of a "shudder" at certain speeds. A vendor changed a part in these transmissions without telling Honda. They basically got blindsided by this.

This only applied to some cars that were built during a certain time frame.

And they were fixed, no charge, under warranty.

and, lugwrench, I'm sure you won't believe this...but, I have NEVER heard this "clunk". I have literally backed up hundreds of these cars too. I own a 99 V-6 EX Coupe with 38,000 miles and it's as perfect as a car can be...no, wait...I have a postage stamp size of paint chipping off one of the mufflers...sorry.

Now, if you want to talk about bad transmissions, I can give you a list.
    You are a salesman and paid to sell Honda Accord V-6's. We all understand your concerns but why is it that it is a continuing problem regarding the V-6 transmission? It started in 1998 and has continued on V-6 Accords through 2001? Same supplier or just a poorly engineered transmission?
    Who wants a transmission that clunks? Who wants to fear the horrible thought of transmission failure? Isellhondas, I suggest you do a little more research regarding the transmission issue. It is an ongoing problem and Honda has made attempts to correct the problem in the manufacturing process to no avail.
    And several others here have told you this. Yes,I do sell Hondas. I get the feeling you may also sell some other brand of cars.

You can believe whatever you wish. Teh problem is NOT ongoing.
    Ok, I finally managed to check out this rust situation you were talking about.

First, this isn't something I could see by simply following an Accord.

I had to get down on one knee and look under the cars.

On the cars I examined, there was a light coating of rust on a 14mm nut that was attached to a rubber muffler hanger.

Is this what you were talking about? If so, this is NO BIG DEAL at all.

Yes, I guess they could have/should have used a plated nut.

I continue to wonder why this would be any kind of an issue to anybody....but...we are all different!
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Posts: 163
    Honda has fuel sending units in their parts department probably in the same quantity as their oil filter. It has been an ongoing problem with Honda since around 1993. Isellhondas hasn't mentioned this fact so I suggest he take a walk back in his service department and ask a service advisor. His service advisor at his dealership will mention to him that they replace a lot of fuel sending units. Personally, I will have to congratulation isellhondas for crawling underneath an Accord to look for rust. Who knows, he might look at the V-6 transmission next.
    First of all, I own a 1995 Accord isellhondas as well as a 2000 Toyota Camry. Here is the following repairs I have had to have covered under warranty (I was smart enough to purchase the 100 K. Honda Care Warranty)

1. Condenser replaced by Honda----recall.
    2. Air Bag module
    3. Fuel Sending Units--on my third now.
    4. Wiring Harness Recall
    5. Balancer Shaft Seal Recall
    6. Air Conditioning Unit failed---new one installed
    7. B-Pipe--ouch I had to pay this one
    8. New power aerial

This in addition to all the Honda scheduled maintenance by. the book. As far as your concern that I am a car salesman for a competitor--the answer is an emphatic NO. But I will tell you that I own another car that is manufactured by Toyota.
    Are obvious Honda haters who continue to distort the facts.

Trying to continue any dialogue with either of you will accomplish nothing.

Of course, what do I know...? I own two of them, literally live with Hondas on a daily basis.

I have literally driven in and ridden in thousands of them.

But, of course, I also sell them, don't I?

That would make me biased, I guess and might cause me to conceal my true feelings.

lugwrench..you own a Toyota?

Good choice, and a great car. Another car that I have defended in these forums against Toyota haters.
    Had a new one put in @ 21k, because first one read 1/4 tank after just 30 miles. New one hasn't moved off 5/6 tank after 88 miles. What the [non-permissible content removed] is going on here?! Do I need to replace this one too? How complicated can this be. I have had a lot of cars and none of them have shown this crazy a gauge reading.(never had to replace any of them either) GEEZ!!! Paid o
    ver 20k and I don't have a clue of how much gas I got in my tank, this sucks!
    I don't sell hondas, and I would advise anyone considering one, to think twice. There may be better deals, better cars and better values. I certainly have been disappointed the first 22k miles. My service adviser knows me by my first name, and that has me wondering. I bought the ESP because of my lack of faith.
    925.00 $ thank you very much. Nice car, but definitely has its problems.
  • This topic was originally set up for Honda owners to discuss quality control problems regarding the Honda Accord. Opinions are expressed to discuss these issues. This is not "RA RA" session for Accords that are sold by Honda salesmen.This constant denial by isellhondas of Accord problems not occurring is getting to the point of being riridiculous.sellhondas---there are problems regarding the fuel sending units, V-6 transmissions and numerous other issues that consumers would like to discuss. HONDA ACCORDS HAVE PROBLEMS! We have been trying to discuss this topic so we may help each other with the same problems we have encountered. Honda Accord quality control has slipped! This is why we are discussing our Accord problems.
    This has been an ongoing problem with the Honda Accord and their supplier. They just can't seem to correct this problem which is quite aggravating. I have heard that using anything over 87 octane in your tank will cause the unit to fail. Don't ask me how, but I heard about it from three different people that I know. My first unit was replaced right after I put in a tank of 91 octane. Noticed the problem right away and the gauge was never the same. Replaced under warranty.I definitely think if you are going to buy a Honda Accord, you better buy the Honda Care extended warranty to be on the safe side. Hope isellhondas tries to sell his customers the extended warranty!
    I am on my third and so far the third unit has been a charm. Nothing worse than not knowing how much gas you have in your tank especially on a long trip. As far as being an Honda hater, there is no truth to whatever isellhondas is trying to imply. Hey, I own a Honda and only want the reliability I was promised when I purchased the vehicle. Yes, Accords do have fuel sending unit problems and hopefully mine is now corrected!
    Take whatever isellhondas posts with a grain of salt. He is a salesman and sells Hondas---enough said. Being labeled a Honda hater is very interesting since I personally own a Honda! Opinions are welcome here but the crux of this decision is the Accord's quality control issues. It is common knowledge that the Accord has problems---read over the two thousand posts right here at Edmunds! Honda needs to be aware that their quality is slipping regarding the Accord.I hope others post their concerns here so others can be on guard.
    I only use 87 octane so that shouldn't be the problem. I was feeling like maybe the design of the unit or the entire system was the culprit, but then lugwrench said his is working right after the third one. So I guess I just have to keep getting them replaced until I get lucky and get one that's not crap. Wonder how long that will take!
  • ravynravyn Posts: 101
    i've been using this in my car practically since day one, ok.. ok.. month 2... and have owned my car for 1 year and 3 months, and haven't had a problem. that's not to say it hasn't happened to people using that gas, but not me.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    So Honda sells >300K Accords a year and some of them actually have problems, alert the media.

Lugwrench if you had bought a domestic car you'd need two pages for your list of repairs, or maybe you'd prefer a car from a company that knows they have head gasket problems and continues to manufacture without any design change for four years (their theory was it is cheaper to fix it then retool, now that's quality).
  • ravynravyn Posts: 101
    these people are not bashing honda's!
    they're just talking about things they've found with THEIR car. it's a quality control board.

will everyone stop being so touchy.
    It's just that I can't stand it when things get grossly overblown.
    There is no balance from your end. Every time someone posts a quality control problem you say it is minor, overblown or does not merit the attention given. The Accord balancer shaft seal was a serious problem and it took Honda 3 years to correct it by finally installing a clip that costs less than $5.00. That is what we are talking about, quality control from Honda's end. The fuel sending units have been a constant problem with Honda's supplier. Honda has been working on that problem for almost seven years now to no avail. Lugwrench says he is on his third unit and it seems to be working correctly. Maybe Honda has found a cure? Quality control regarding Accords is the issue and exchanging information is what this discussion is all about. We are not comparing Honda Accord's quality control problems with any other vehicle. We only care about our Accord's quality control issues and what steps Honda is taking to correct them!
  • bruinhornbruinhorn Posts: 11
    I lurk on the Honda and Toyota boards because I currently own a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6,a 1999 Toyota Carry EL V6, 2k Chevy Prim(Corolla twin) and a 1997 Chevy Suburban T. Previous new cars I've owned include '93 Chevy Astro Van, '88 T'bird Turbot Coupe, '88 Taurus GLX, '82 Honda Civic AL, '80 Honda Accord LX, '78 Datsun ZX, '76 Mazda 808.

Of all these cars the most problems I've had were with the 2 Fords and the 2 Chevys not to mention the heavy loss I took when I traded them in. The least problems were the Honda's.

In reading this board I certainly get the feeling that dc_sports is bashing Honda unnecessarily while on the Toyota board he does not say any negative thing about Toyota even thought there are many complaints about the sludging problem encountered with the Camrys. Again what do I mean my "many"? It is what I perceived from reading the Toyota boards and it may not be accurate, just like the perception that Honda Accord quality is bad because of the many complaints perceived by dc_sports.

My personal belief is that both the Toyotas and Hondas are exceptional cars compared to the domestics. No manufacturer can make a perfect car with no problems and to this extent I believe Toyota and Honda is way ahead of the dometic and european manufacturers when it comes to the total cost of owning a car for a long period of time.

Again this is my personal opinion so please don't shoot me.

I am very happy with the Accord, Camry and Prizm!
    bruinhorn...thank you.

I have read with great interest The Great Sludge Caper as it pertains to Toyotas.

Some of the people who have complained about this have been pretty sincere and others have been suspect.

Bear in mind, Toyota is my biggest competition and I should be enjoying this.

But, I don't and I don't believe it.

I have even stated that in that forum.

BTW, I asked one of our Service Advisors about this terrible fuel sending problem. His response, believe it or not was that he had only heard of a couple of isolated cases of this.

But I guess in a forum like this, the affected people would tend to congregate just like sick people do in hospitals.
  • I own a Honda Accord and if anyone knows about Accord modifications, you will know where I took my nickname from. You see, I have various modifications from DC Sports on my Accord. Have a DC Sports stainless steel catback, battery tie down, and upper strut tower control arms. Next project will be the DC Sports stainless steel header. I own an Accord and put a lot of money into it via modifications as this is what I like.
    It really angers me when various "Honda" components fail before their time. This is why I am discussing my personal quality control issues with my Accord. I am also offering other problems regarding quality control that other owners I know have had personally. Ironically, many of the problems we have encountered are the same. One quality problem I would like to bring to everyones attention now is the weak air conditioning unit of the Accord. It just doesn't cool down like other autos I have ridden in. Has anyone encountered this problem?

I am not bashing but only comparing notes with others in regards to my Accord. As far as not bashing Toyotas, I really don't know that much about them.
  • wyselwysel Posts: 1
    Honda accord 4 cyclinder 2000 exl passenger side airbag light stays on unless someone is seated in the seat. Dealer is giving us a hard time about fixing it. We've tried running engine with heater on full for 4 Hrs as the bulletin advises and have nothing on the seat but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Seems like a factory defect which they don't want to admit to.
  • blumsdenblumsden Posts: 15
    I agree with anselmo1's post #116.

isellhondas, I think it is great to have you here to offer a different perspective. But, IMO, not all these issues are minor, and not all are isolated. A rusty bolt here, some paint chips there, a little wind noise from the mirror or moonroof, etc may all be small problems. But they are not problems that should repeatedly surface in a $25K car with "Honda-like" reliability. To tell us "IT'S NO BIG DEAL" does not make them feel better, nor does it make the problem go away.

I had a 99 EX, 5-spd accord coupe, which I sold last fall. In the first year:
    -replaced a faulty passenger seat heater
    -replaced the brake fluid reservoir cover (bad sensor)
    -fixed a problem with the driver window (sounded like sand was gritting against the glass when lowering the window)
    -had to have the driver door panel adjusted due to a noise near the pop-up door lock
    -removed and re-tightened the left side of the dash due to a rattle

I also had a problem with the ignition, which could only be remedied by replacing the switch.
    Since they could not match the security code in the keys, I would have had to carry two keys around, so I didn't have this done. (No, physically carrying 2 keys is not a big deal, but knowing which was for the ignition is, and I didn't want to wrap one in masking tape!)

My dealer was quite willing to try to fix all these problems, but even so, my first Honda experience was not a great one. Based on my PERSONAL experience, I would have to say that Honda quality is not at the same level as it once was.
This discussion has been closed.