Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    carwalacarwala Member Posts: 14
    Please help!. Let me know what you think of this price.
    Is it TOO low to be true? (21,000 with Dest)

I started shopping for 2006 Accord LX V6 since mid Dec 2005.
    Got following quotes - Base price (includes $550 Dest, No options).

Open Road Honda (Edison, NJ) - $22,550
    Dch Kay Honda (Eatontown, NJ) - $22,500
    Dch Academy Honda (Old Bridge, NJ) - $22,700

Planet Honda (Union, NJ) didn't give his price, just said that he can't beat other dealers $22,500; and that I should buy from other place.

Then suddenly on 12/31 Planet Honda called and quoted $21,000 With Dest. That's $1500/- less than others AND over $2000 below invoice ($23,100).

Other dealers are saying that it's an impossible deal as it's much below even their district price. They claim that it's probably a fixed up car.

Called Honda Company's Customer Relations to find out if it's just a Great Deal or Impossible (fake) deal. The guy over the phone was surprised as well, but said that it's just a very good price and that may be Planet Honda really needs to sell that vehicle.

Googled "Planet Honda" and found some bad press. Even BBB is has bad rating for them.

:confuse:
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Get it in writing, confirming it is a V6 with no miles on it. I am pretty sure he is quoting you a 4 cylinder or playing with you. These sales people have to amuse themselves, you know . .

:)
  • Options
    hnguyen1hnguyen1 Member Posts: 17
    It's definitely good if they honor it. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to buying cars. I bought mine before the new year for 22,269 including destination. However, I'm kinda weary of quotes that are too much below invoice. Last time, I got an internet quote of 19,988 for the 06 LX V6; I printed that out, brought it to the dealer but they said the person was a new employee who made a mistake, and the offer expired (they gave 72 hours, not 72 business hours--they didnt work on Christmas so I came late).

I'm thinking it's one of the saleman's trick to get you to come to the dealer, then get you hooked on the car. But it never hurts to try as long as you're careful.
  • Options
    punchpermpunchperm Member Posts: 9
    My experience at Planet Honda (Union, NJ) was not very good. First, I couldn't get a single salesperson to speak with me, even though there were plenty just standing around doing nothing and other people who walked in after me were getting plenty of attention. Maybe I looked cheap or poor, or both. Who knows? Either way, it was extremely obvious they were actively ignoring me, since two of them actually turned and walked away as I tried to approach them to get help.

I eventually got a salesperson by waiting until one of them approached someone else and got rejected and then I jumped in so fast that he couldn't say he was busy since they had just offered to help someone else.

Some example conversations I had with this salesman:

First visit...
    Me: I'm not interested in buying today, only test driving the 2006 Accord LX-SE.
    Him: There is no SE this year.
    Me: Yes, there is.
    Him: No, there isn't.
    Me: Yes, there is. You might want to check your inventory.
    Him (long pause after looking it up): OK, let's go test drive it.
    Him (after the test drive): Let's fill out this sheet to start. What is your target price?
    Me: I already told you I'm not interested in buying today.
    Him: I can get you a great deal on a 2005 EX-V6. Let's fill out this sheet.
    Me: I already told you I'm not interested in buying today. And I'm interested in the 2006 LX-SE.

At this point I stood up and left.

Then I proceed to get bombarded with phone calls every day for 2 weeks. A few gems emerged:

Conversation #1
    Him: I can get you a great deal on the 2005.
    Me: I'm only interested in the 2006.
    Him: Why? The 2005 is identical.
    Me: No it's not, the rear looks better, and it has a better warranty.
    Him: The rear is identical and the warranty is the same.
    Me: Have you even looked at the back of the car? It's completely different. And the 2006 warranty is not identical. It's better.
    Him (laughing): The warranty is the same. What part do you think is different?
    Me: There's a new 5/60 powertrain warranty.
    Him: No, there's not. That's for the rust.
    Me: Yes, there is.
    Him: No, there's not.
    Me: You might want to check your brochure because there absolutely is.
    Him: OK. Then call me when you're interested in buying.

Conversation #2.
    Him: Why don't you come in and we can talk about getting you a new car?
    Me: I'm not going to bother coming in unless you can give me a good deal.
    Him: What do you think is a good deal?
    Me: Invoice. Or below invoice.
    Him (laughing): You can't get invoice on this car! No one will give that to you!
    Me: I already got invoice from another dealer.
    Him: ....OK, well why don't you come in and we can work out a deal.
    Me: Can you give me less than invoice?
    Him: We'll see what we can work out.
    Me: I'm not coming in unless you can guarantee me less than invoice.
    Him: OK, well then call me when you're interested in buying.

I wouldn't go near Planet Honda without a firm quote in writing with an OTD price broken down with all taxes and fees and a guarantee that the car is a new 2006 with the model you want with less than 20 miles on the odometer. And I would double-time it out of there if there was even a sniff of them trying to play any games.

I ended up buying the same car you're looking at, a 2006 LX-V6 at Open Road Honda. The transaction took less than 1 hour and they didn't try any games or nonsense at all.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Well, I test drive the car at Planet Honda. Looked OK.. No dents etc.. I checked VIN at carfax.. it's a 2006 LX V6 al right.. without any history ... and less that 7 miles.

I went to Planet Honda after they gave me a price over the phone. Once I reached there, they calculated the PO with the same price.. $22,700 on road.

They had the same car in 4-5 colors on the lot. Can't imagine that all are damaged/fixed/funny cars. I am only worried about what if they have replaced/removed some part like VSA chip etc?

Can they really screw me AFTER I pay them cash. like increasing the price later.. not giving the title till I pay more?

Also the manager wouldn't accept the Car Loan Check from my credit union. My CU claims that it's as good as cash. Manager insisted on the Cashier Check OR financing through dealer.

I know Open Road Honda are supposed to be reputed and all.. but hard to ignore $1500 difference.

Has anyone bought this car at this price recently?
  • Options
    cm1379cm1379 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks, this does help. Buying a SE would actually make sense given the additions.

Which location/dealer did you buy this Accord from?
  • Options
    mskmikemskmike Member Posts: 6
    I bought mine at Tipton honda San Diego, CA.

CAR: $20,174.00
    DOC: $45.00
    TAX: $1,566.99 (7.75)
    LIC: $178.00
    TIRE: $8.75
    Smog: $12.00

Total: $21,985

When I bought mine, salesman lied to me twice. First, He said he have the car on one of their lot which he didn't. Second, He quoted $19,986(online, before i went)but i paid $20,147(when i signed). Now i have to wait till next wed and pay more than i was going to. But since i got all those accessories i guess i did okay. Hope you could do better.

And i found out if any dealer tries to lie to you or do anything they aren't suppose to, you can file complains to DMV and they'll take care the rest. DMV can sue them and can take their dealer license away.

anyway I cannot tell you how great this car is cuz i don't have the car yet :(:(:( can't wait till next wed.
  • Options
    You are a car salesman's worst nightmare. These guys live on commissions to put food on their table. You are acting like it is all a big game for you. No wonder the salesmen avoided you if you said you weren't interested in buying. You were wasting their time to drive a harder bargain elsewhere . .
  • Options
    punchpermpunchperm Member Posts: 9
    Actually, I wasn't wasting their time at all. That was the first day I had decided to go look for a new car and I wanted to test drive a bunch first before doing pricing research. Is this not how YOU buy a car?

And they were avoiding me even before I told anyone I was only there to test drive. If they had just treated me with respect and without lying every time we spoke, I would have continued to go back to Planet Honda once I had finally decided on which car to get.

As far as bargaining at different dealerships, do you NOT do this? Why are you reading this forum if you don't?
  • Options
    car1shopcar1shop Member Posts: 8
    Received a quote for $23,200 for Accord EX-L,4cyl automatic (No Navigation). Is this a good deal? This OTD price (no sales tax in my state).
  • Options
    I won't test drive a car unless I am sincerely willing to give the dealer a chance at my business. You wasted his time on a test drive, refused to talk about pricing, and then went somewhere else. I think the salesman who gives you a test drive deserves at least a chance of beating your best deal.

You got the LX V6 for $21,000 plus tax and license? That is a great deal.
  • Options
    sepasepa Member Posts: 41
    car1 - In November I bought the same car for 23,000 (that included destination) plus tags and tax, so you price seems pretty good. I recall someone paying perhaps $500 or so less, but that was for a car that had been sitting on the lot a while and it was at month-end.
  • Options
    jgoldmanjgoldman Member Posts: 4
    2006 EX V6 AT w/ Navi :$26,000

OTD Price (Boston MA)
    Price w/ Dest Charge: 26,000
    MA Sales tax (5%): 1,300
    Registration Fee: 36
    Title Fee: 50
    Document prep fee: 298
    Total OTD price: 27,684.00

I know I got burned about on the Doc prep fee, but oh well. I think, for those buying w/o Navi, it is fair to just subtract off 2,000.
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "Me: I'm not interested in buying today, only test driving the 2006 Accord LX-SE."

If I were that salesman I would lose interest in you fast...that salesman did you a favor by patronizing you.
  • Options
    Well,

I haven't exactly bought the vehicle yet. Have a PO singed by them, with $22600 OTD. They are after me to come and collect it.

Just scared of them, because of some of the bad opinion I have seen about Planet Honda, Union, NJ

They told me the same price over the phone and in the shop.
    I don't think they will cheat me in price now.

I am only worried about what if the car is damaged/fixed etc.

Has anyone bought this vehicle at this price recently? Does anyone have any good experience with them?
  • Options
    It sounds like a very good deal. The worries you have don't seem rational, to be honest.

Maybe you just aren't ready to buy a new car now.
  • Options
    soman319soman319 Member Posts: 7
    whats final price with dest.charge ?is it from open honda? thanks.
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I wonder if there are goint to be any new incentives on the 2006 Accords. I could not find any good prices in N. California this past weekend on a LX 4 automatic. They did not even offer special financing in my area.

I just read that Honda Accord Sales were not so hotlast month (down 31% compared to December of 2004) and down over 4% for the past year. I had a feeling that Accord sales would be hurt in December. Competition is fierce in the mid size segment. I really like the new changes to the Accord.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I don't get it. How else can one really finalize a list of cars to buy without driving them first? There's no way in heck that I will buy a car if I haven't driven it on roads that I use everyday so I can see if I can actually live with it for the next 5 to 7 years. And if a dealership has a problem with that...tough! I also won't buy on a test drive day unless I'm absolutely sure about that particular vehicle. I usually find it best to drive each car back to back in the same day so I know for sure.
    If the dealerships don't like it...TOUGH!
    Without customers to sell to, they will sell squat, and most people need at least one test drive for each vehicle considered. Something seems really wrong with the dealers attitudes. Luckily, I always buy our vehicles when I don't need it that day.
    Just my $.02, so let me have it guys...!

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    Open Road Honda, Edison, NJ - $24460 OTD
    Planet Honda, Union, NJ - $22600 OTD
  • Options
    Oh, I am; believe me.

my earlier car broke down a month ago.
    There is only so much tele-commuting boss will let me do.

I am happy with the price I am getting. Just worried about the BAD comments I have seen on this forum and also on the web for this dealer (Planet Honda). Their BBB rating also sucks.
  • Options
    dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    I thought Open Road usually had the best prices. Have you ever bought a Honda at Planet Honda, how was the experience ? :shades:
  • Options
    That's what even I want to know. Are there ANY happy Planet Honda customers out their? I haven't bought anything from them yet.

One friend bought a Ody from Planet Honda in Oct 2005. He is happy. He got it for $1500 below Open Road Honda's best price.
  • Options
    ruckus87ruckus87 Member Posts: 3
    Hey,

I'm almost set to buy a 2006 lx-v6 for 22,800 + tax & tags, but I can't believe the finance rates I'm being offered. I'm a tier 1 and was quoted 6.69% for up to 66 months through Honda Financial. Has anyone heard of any upcoming financing incentives through Honda?!? I know it's been a while since they offered something on the Accord. Will something pop-up before the end of the month???
  • Options
    hi guys,
    earlyer i posted that i bought 2006 lx SE and its comming from factory next wed to my dealer. they called me this tues telling me the car has arrived sooner and its ready to pick up. when i got there i found out it has different Vin#, some of accessories was not there, had 30miles on it and it has orange peel on front bumper. so i told him no thanks i'd rather wait for my real car next wed. when i told him he changed his attitude and told me my car is not comming for another 90days and i have to take the car or deal is off(he actually quoted "take it or leave"). after about 30mins of pressure i decided to unwind the deal and ask for my check back. their finacial person told me i have to wait 10 days to get my money back sicen they cashed and have to bring proof that check went clr from my bank. i must say they gave me lot of troulble and headach plus stress. today i'm going to dealer w/proof to get my money back. hopefully i'll get moneyback today or BBB here i come.

here is few more thing i experienced.
    1)he said long as i bring proof, he'll match any price. when i got there he said no. (bait-and-switch) ???
    2)he said it takes only few mins to complete the deal and asked me to come. when i got there he made me wait about 2 hours.
    3)made me fill out credit application by telling me its required by LAW. even though i had preaproved check from my CU.
    4)i got a letter yesterday from him. on the letter it say" now that you pickedup your new car pls enjoy driving". what car ??? :confuse: :confuse:

now, hearing word 'honda' gives me stress, waisted so much time, and tired of shopping. thinking buying differnt car maybe altima.

question to you guys,
    can they cash my check even though i never received the car ?

thanks for reading. best wishes for all you guys.
    ps. sry for bad english. :)
  • Options
    What accessories were missing? Check with your bank to see if it has cleared, or perhaps you can put a stop payment on it. 30 miles on a new car is not much .

I don't think the Altima is as good a car as the Accord. . not as safe .
  • Options
    whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    Yes, they can cash the check. The dealer must be a real risk taker to tell you that a credit application is required by law. I see why there are so many negative comments about dealers.
  • Options
    I check w/my bank and it cleared. since they cashed, my bank told me to get a letter from the dealer stating deal is off. missing accessries were fender trim and door edge guard. i really wanted to them to send it tru mail since i don;t want to see them again but they told me i have to come in or no moneyback.
    if they refuse to give me moneyback what can i do ?
  • Options
    wheresmyhondawheresmyhonda Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Automatic (no navigation) from Planet Honda in NJ and am fairly happy with the Sales Person I dealt with. Here is the breakup-

23,500 base (around 1K below invoice) plus
    550 destination plus
    6% tax plus
    189 doc plus
    222 dmv plus
    7.50 tire

the total was 25912 OTD.

i got splash guards, door edge guards, pinstripes and two oil changes free.

I sealed the deal on Dec 31.

Open Road on the other hand made me drive for 30 mi (not ready to commit anything over the phone) and didn't match Planet Honda's offer. They actually INCREASED their not-yet-expired online price quote by 300$ once they came out with free car starter/ 3 yr oil change offere. Basically asking you to pay extra for these 'freebies'. One of my friends had an even nastier exp with Open Road. They were trying to pass off a scratched car to him. &%*^$#^%%$%!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck to all.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    they have no right to keep it. If they actually have the gaul to try, politely mention the (police/lawyer/BBB/attorney general - you pick).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    Amen to that. Go get your money. I wish I could send my sister with you. Then she could "cuss em out" for you too!
  • Options
    kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    I am looking at a 2005 Accord Lx Coupe (SPecial Edition) Has anybody just bought a 2005 and have any suggestions?
    How much off the sticker should it be?
    This is the dealer's last 2005 - Any extra incentives?
    Is the TMV price on Edmunds current or was that the TMV price at the end of the model year?
    Any help greatly appreciated
  • Options
    Thanks for your info.
    I am glad I found at least one +ve vote for Planet Honda.

My numbers are very similar to yours. Since I am going for LX, the base price quoted by Planet is.

21,000 base (incl Dest) (2000 below invoice ?)
    6% tax +
    189 doc +
    222 dmv +
    7.50 tire

I have a PO done on 12/31. Just haven't picked up the car yet, since they have a problem with the "Car Loan Check" given by my CU. They want me to either take their financing, or bring a Certified Check.
  • Options
    ivetcivetc Member Posts: 2
    anyone knows the good OTD price for the 06 Honda Accord EX 4cyl basic option in the bay area (in or close to San Francisco)?

Thanx!
  • Options
    If they will match your interest rate, I would use the dealer for financing. It's the only way they can break even on the deal, is my guess.

If you don't buy it from them, I don't think they will mind that much . . It's a zero deal for them.
  • Options
    ivetcivetc Member Posts: 2
    anyone knows the good OTD price for the 06 Honda Accord EX coupe or seden 4cyl basic option in the bay area (in or close to San Francisco)?

Thanx!
  • Options
    I am still wondering as how they can afford to give me car 2000 below invoice.

MSRP: 25,650 (25,100 + 550)
    Invoice: 23,140
    Dealer Offer : 21000 (incl Dest)

That's 2,140 below invoice + car includes $200 accessories.

I am only aware of 3% holdback dealers receive = $753.
    Where do they make up remaining $1387 ?

Anyone aware of it?

Could it be a Demo car as someone suggested? what can be wrong with buying the demo car. It has only 6 miles on it, so it can't be a test-drive car.
  • Options
    they have the right to cancel their offer at any time. Until you take delivery , they can jack up the price as they please. Since you get bad vibes from the dealership, I think you should not buy it from them.

Pay the extra $1000 and you don't have to worry that it has been in an accident or possible hurricane damage.
  • Options
    mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    I have to respond to some of these posts about wasting the salesman time in doing a test drive....
    Bottom line is this.....they are in sales games, it is their job to inform you about the product they are selling, and half of the time they don't know their product very well....part of the process of selling that product is a test drive.....and IF you have other products in mind (i.e. a different model car) how can you compare these products without testing them out first. And do these test drives back to back in the smartest thing you can do.....do this while everything is fresh in your mind....how it feels, is the power right, is the handling is right, etc....since a car is a product in the sales game it should not be treated any different than let's say a TV....the only difference is one you have to drive...the other you click a remote....would you buy the first TV you look at without comparing? I don't think so....The people who are in sales (especially cars) know what they are getting themselves into.....if you expect people to walk onto a lot and point at a car and say I'll take it.....then wake up and smell the coffee....If you don't want to be in sales game then don't do it.....but don't get bent out of shape because someone is shopping for a product and has several options in mind other than yours....The only thing a person should do is at least be honest, and REALLY be in the market for a new car....don't go out on a Saturday and drive a bunch of cars because you are bored.....that part of it is wrong....and then yes you are wasting the salesman valuable time when they could be with a potential customer.......When I am going to a lot to test drive and NOT ready to buy that day I tell them up front.....and if I am looking at different makes of cars I tell them up front also......have not once had a salesman walk away from me nor treat me like crap......so if that happens to someone then it must be the dealership....just go to another one.....someone will take your business!
    Just my .02
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
  • Options
    As long as a customer is sincerely interested in buying a car, I have no problem with them getting a test drive. Are they under any obligation? Of course not. But they should at least stay around to get a price proposal.

I once had a "customer" ask to test drive three diffent types of cars and ask a bunch of questions. They had not done any research or thinking, just wanted to waste a lot of my time, when I could be helping somone else.

Of course, I gave the pest the "bum's rush" and helped a real customer. . . .
  • Options
    smaroonsmaroon Member Posts: 2
    You can see this yourself on the honda website, but I thought I would point out...

The VP has practically everything the LX 4 cylinder has. (Oddly, the specs on the Honda website say you can't adjust the seat up & down, but I just drove the VP and you can!)

The stereo has only 2 speakers, but it sounds surprisingly good, and you can easily add the other speakers yourself.

So, the LX adds power side mirrors, auto off headlights, a couple of lights inside and slightly nicer tires (same wheels). Not worth $1800! According to CarsDirect, you can get the VP for 17,500 in the SF Bay Area, and I'm sure you could negotiate down from that at a dealer.

I'm surprised Honda has made the bottom of the line car so complete!
  • Options
    brentmaher22brentmaher22 Member Posts: 6
    Pricing on ‘05/06 Accord EX in Southeastern WI: Milwaukee, Madison, Northern IL?

Looking for what deal you got in an 4 or 6 cylinder EX w/ Leather. If you got the navigation, feel free to throw in as well but we’re primarily looking for prices without.

I will drive for a good deal! Help me find one!

Thx,
    Brent
  • Options
    tandy_13tandy_13 Member Posts: 43
    Here's my experience as a car buyer.

I bought a 06 EX V6 in mid october and in the 2 weeks before it was looking to test drive it. Had an appointment at a dealer near my home but since I was out at a meeting where I was going to join my new job I thought I would walk into the nearest Honda Dealership (Lakewood Honda in NJ) and take a test drive and talk to the salespeople there.

Well waddaya expect. I drove into the dealership (with my wife and kid and incidentally my old car has New York plates) and asked to test drive the car. When I spoke with the salesman he gave me the run around saying he couldn't let me test drive the car on the road, just inside the "parking lot".(Mayebe he thought I was just driving down from New York on a visit)
    I told him not to waste my time as I had an appointment at my workplace in some time and he said, "If we are not buying a car today then what are we doing?".

Well, I bought the car in the next few days (after the test drive where the salesman was extremely courteous and answered all my questions patiently).

So Lakewood Honda lost my business, plus any business they would have gotten from my colleagues and friends!

So where did I read that you have to take a lot of cold calls to get some business, that's part of the business; and the last I heard car salesmen didn't really get a crash course in mind reading from Mr Spock.

PT.
  • Options
    sdpartiersdpartier Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2005 EX-V6 w/Leather No NAV with the convenience package (Mudflaps, Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray) and rear tinted widows. Out the door for $24K. No hassles or anything at all. Dealer still has a few left.

Wanted to save some money so I opted against the '06.

The dealer was the Diamond Bar Honda in Diamond Bar, CA.

Good luck.
  • Options
    It's probably in the wrong forum.. but not sure which one is correct..

I though Honda always wrote just "Accord" or "Accord LX" or "Accord EX" behind the car (on the trunk).

But I noticed that 2006, V6 models only say - "Accord V6". How do you know if it's LX-V6, or EX-V6 (or something else)?

Is this new this year?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,409
    I think the V-6 models have always said just "V6".

Look for leather seats and a moonroof.. If it is lacking either, it is an LX-V6.. If it has them, then it is an EX-V6... (LX-V6s are few and far between).

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Can anyone suggest a dealer? I am interested in a four door Accord and would like a dealer with good pricing and sebvice.

As, a side note does the 4 cylinder car have sufficient power or is a six much better?
  • Options
    ruckus87ruckus87 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys,

Burns honda in marlton is offering a an EX-V6 Sedan w/ 6MT for $24,800. Does that sound good to you guys or is there a better deal available in Jersey?!?
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    When the new Camry comes out in early March, Accord buyers will be in the catbird seat. Honda will be dealing like crazy to maintain sales of both the 4 and V6. Am I right?