Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    01redz0601redz06 Member Posts: 21
    Requested internet prices at two local dealers. One quoted $23909 +TTL with $25640 drive out. The car was basic with with no options. The other dealership quoted $24118 +TTL and $25868 drive out including window tint and pin stripe.

The car is for my daughter who has almost no credit record, but what is there is fine. Her credit score is 735, limited by the small amount of credit experience. She applied for the 3.99% Honda financing and was initially told that she qualified (surprised me as I expected the conditions would be very restrictive for such a low rate. On the next day, the salesman said that she did not qualify for the Honda financing but they would finance her at 8.99%. I told them fine, I would co-sign the note to get her the lowest rate (My score is 875). Even with that, the salesman said the finance rate could not be less than 6.99%.

Sounds to me like we are the victim of the old bait and switch game. I think the dealer is getting some commission if he can get us to sign on at a higher rate. We were pretty unhappy with this buying (attempt) experience. Anyone who wants this type of sales experience may want to go to the dealership on south loop 610. We went to the other dealer. They did not have the color that we wanted, so we ordered a car in the hope that the dealer cashback program is continued. We are hoping this will be a better experience.
  • Options
    civic98civic98 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 98 Honda Civic and am looking to replace it with either a new Honda Civic or a used Honda Accord, probably an 05. I am wondering if it would be cheaper to insure a new Civic LX 4 dr or a used 05 Accord LX 2 dr.
  • Options
    philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    new civics are actually MORE expensive to insure than accords. also with the current dealer incentive you can get a new 06 accord for the same price as most dealers usually want for used 05's.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I have to agree with philliplc...

The downside to the low depreciation that Hondas experience, is that one-year-old models are not typically good buys as used cars...

If you are going to buy, get an '06... whether it is a Civic or Accord... The savings on an '05 will be minimal, and a false savings in the long run..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sooksook Member Posts: 5
    Just curious... what was your out-the-door price? How much under invoice-750 did you end up paying? Thanks.
  • Options
    mbarkermbarker Member Posts: 3
    I haven't priced the insurance on a Civic compared to an Accord but during my recent car shopping, every small car I have run an insurance quote for was more expensive to insure than the slightly larger cars. The price difference was always in the collision and comprehensive. I am assuming that the smaller cars sustain more damage in an accident and thus, the claim for damage is higher. The difference in insurance can be significant over a year so I recommend getting a insurance quote on the Civic and any other car you are considering before making a buying decision.
  • Options
    shopper102shopper102 Member Posts: 8
    I was quoted a price of 20k out the door for a new LX SE. How does this sound? I haven't counter offered. Based on what others on this board are saying they received, it seems like a great price.
  • Options
    philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    what's the vehicle price before ttl?
  • Options
    I'm not sure. They didn't give that to me. I'm sure I must be able to do better than 20 otd.
  • Options
    larouselarouse Member Posts: 28
    Just got back from the dealer. First called them and let them know the offers we had elsewhere. Using the "target price" from carsdirect.com, we added the tax, plate, title, protection package, etc and offered to buy it for $27200. After some wheeling and dealing,(the usual let me talk to my manager ritual), they gave a price of $27500. Then we told them if they would consider giving us $500 for our 1987 Accord LX with 188000 miles (I knew what I could get for it from the Blue Book). They finally agreed, so we got it for the $ 27200. They have to get from another dealer, so we had to give them two color choices. Chose either the carbon bronze or the dessert mist, both with ivory interior. We think we got a good deal, since we have been to several dealers and made phone calls, and this is about the best price we could get in North Carolina.
  • Options
    So far I have been unsucessful via email of finding a better quote than 20k OTD around here, but I'll be visiting some dealerships tomorrow. Can anyone offer advice as to what I could expect to end up paying, or what you would offer. I don't have any other information about the price quoted.
  • Options
    accordian6accordian6 Member Posts: 8
    Since TTL is different around the country, it would be helpful to know what you are paying for the CAR and the dealer's other fees (usually documentation fee), without the tax, title and license. Then we can know what you are really paying, which helps others know whether you (and they) are getting a good deal relative to others on these forums.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rupak001rupak001 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, after hearing abt Wilde Honda in this forum, I decided to make the trip to Milwaukee from Rochester MN, got everything setup over email and phone, just spent only abt 45 minutes at the dealership and I was on my way, they even beat my credit union's rate and gave me a great rate (4.99%). Overall, one of the best car buying experince I ever had. Hopefully the car will be equally enjoyable. since I wouldn't have gotten the price without the help of this forum, I felt compelled to post as soon as coming back. thanx to everyone for their input, this is definitely a great platform for car buyers.
  • Options
    jay_gatsbyjay_gatsby Member Posts: 45
    Many thanks to all on this board for your advice and feedback. This past weekend I purchased an Accord EX-L from Herson's Honda in Rockville, MD. The out the door price for the car was approximately $22,900, including everything (destination, document processing, TTL, wheel locks, etc...) I haven't taken delivery yet, but will shortly.
  • Options
    s65s65 Member Posts: 54
    In almost all cases the Dealer Cash remains the same or goes up (usually $250 at a time).

It RARELY goes down (less than 5% of the time).

He is telling you it ends on May 31 because that is technically true.......
    but a new program comes out June 1 and may be even better. Dont let him rush you into a deal.
  • Options
    niner2107niner2107 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I have been reading thing forum for a couple of days and has been really helpful.
    I have negociated a final out the door price of $23,000. This of course included everything. The only reason I have not purchased the car is because I got to the dealer and the sales guy tells me they dont have the color of my car in the dealer and would have to get it from another dealer and bring it but I would have to pay for the towing charge which is $485.00. I of course told him no way and left. He then emailed me telling me that he found a car and that it would arrive the next day. When I got to the dealer he tells me that he is going to be a nice guy and pay half the charge and I would only owe $192.50. I was updet he told me this so I left.
    Is this something I should be paying? Please help!
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    what was price BEFORE tax, title, license.... it helps others since these fees vary from state to state, county to county.

was this manual or auto tranny?
  • Options
    peaches0422peaches0422 Member Posts: 2
    I have received several quotes on the Accord EX, 4 cyl with leather and Navi. Supposedly out the door prices...one was 26,238.98 (had 2 of these only a few dollars apart) and then one for 25,743.82. This is in the Atlanta area and sounds almost to good to be true. Any advice, Have to make the deal by Wednesday. Thanks
  • Options
    bighoo93bighoo93 Member Posts: 24
    You should get taxed based on where you live (or house the car?) not where you buy it. At least on the VA/MD line, maybe it is just reciprocity. I bought a 2006 Odyssey from a dealer in Maryland, because they were so much more willing to negotiate price than the VA dealers. But I still paid VA tax rates, since that is where I live and house the car.
  • Options
    xituxitu Member Posts: 2
    $17,885.00 D/O in Houston.
  • Options
    A little over $21k, automatic transmission.
  • Options
    caslercasler Member Posts: 6
    Had an excellent online experience purchasing a new 2006 VP MT from Holmes Honda in Des Moines. Smooth transaction handled through emails with their internet sales manager. The style/color I wanted wasn’t initially on the lot, but he located & secured one within a week and accepted my purchase offer of invoice minus the 750 marketing incentive. The price, including destination & dealer doc fee, was $16,212 +TTL. Financed through American Honda Finance Corp at 3.99% for 48 months. After arriving at the dealership, completed transaction and was out the door in less than an hour.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Was that for the automatic?
  • Options
    tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    nah...don't worry about it...move on to the next one. I think Tallahassee got a few dealers. In dallas area here there is one dealer said no below invoice and I called others there is way off below invoice. If Tallahassee doesn't offer much...call orlando or tampa or other nearby cities. I am sure U get at least around 1000 below invoice. Call one up and said someone gives U a $1000 below invoice ask if they can do better. If not move to the next one. Honda Accords sell volume are down compare to last year so they should want to move the products instead of seating in the lot.

Good luck.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    could you please tell me what dealer in North Carolina are you getting your car from.
  • Options
    A dealer gave me a deal of $19,800 out the door over the phone after I quoted a price I had received. Do you think I should take this offer?

I'm trying to buy the car by tomorrow, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

(btw, the dealer that quoted me $20k had priced the vehicle itself at 18,859)
  • Options
    loki87loki87 Member Posts: 8
    That's very good to know, Jay. From the exact same dealership, I've been quoted $21,537 (before tax & tags) for a manual tranny EX-L 4-cyl. I will definitely be working them over the grindstone tonight, as I know they can do at least $500 better.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    loki..i'm looking for exact same car-- 4 cylinder ex-L manual-- $24800 msrp... these are hard to find on dealer lots (in ohio anyway).... almsot giving up and go with an automatic which they have loads of... but really want a manual ....hope you post your price when you buy..good luck!
  • Options
    That's awful high for a manual transmission (unless that includes destination). By the way, how can you drive a stick shift in Washington, D.C. metropolitan traffic??? :confuse:
  • Options
    nickpannickpan Member Posts: 4
    That sound like an excellent deal! Is that for Auto? Which dealer?
  • Options
    schexschexschexschex Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone bought a Honda Accord EX-L in the New Orleans area? If so what did you pay?
  • Options
    nwalker1nwalker1 Member Posts: 17
    My wife purchased a 2005 Honda Accord 4dr-EX-L-Nav with 4-cyl and auto from Trickett Honda in Nashville in February of 2005 and absoblutely love the car and dealership. Real world mpg is 27 and after 15,000 miles we have not had any problems. If your in Nashville at all costs avoid Darrell Waltrip Honda. We have tried twice to do business there and have had terrible experiences both times.
  • Options
    Sorry, that does include destination, but not tax & tags. I'm looking at $22,937 after everything right now. However, this was with no negotiation yet, so I will definitely get them down further.
  • Options
    ral2167, they aren't easy to come by, but there are about a dozen EX-L 4-cyl manual 4-doors, in various colors, in all the dealerships in Montgomery County, MD combined. If you feel like a 6+ hour drive, you should be able to get one here no problem. :)

I will definitely post the final price if I end up getting this car today or tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm not so sure you're going to be able to get them down much further. The dealers apparently have a "net" price over which they must sell a car by $100. This is not to say that they're selling the car $100 over their true cost, but rather $100 over a set price by which they cannot (or will not) go any lower. The exact number that equals the "net" may vary from region to region, but my guess is that it's not going to vary by more than a few hundred bucks wherever you go.

That said, good luck with your negotiations. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, but it sounds like they sold you your automatic for the same exact amount that they're quoting me on a manual. There's at least a $800 difference in the invoice price between the two transmissions, so I'm going to make sure they at least give me that back.
  • Options
    That's true. However, I don't know that they're necessarily going to give you the full $800 back, but give it a shot. Mine was a pretty tight deal, and no other dealer in the local area was willing to touch it.

I'm just hoping to take delivery soon. There's nothing like buying a car, and yet having to wait for delivery in order to enjoy it.
  • Options
    mbarkermbarker Member Posts: 3
    I had a very pleasant buying experience buying an Element from the Tallahassee dealer. Out of curiosity, I did a couple of checks of online inventories for some dealers in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Orlando, and Thomasville and they don't have the trim you are looking for. Maybe Gainesville or west of Tallahassee might have the trim you looking for so you could try searching them. Really, an online buying service (I don't know if I can say the name here) put the price for the model you are looking for at $26,924 with the dealer $750 noted so you could look around but since it seems to be a unique trim in this area I don't know what your options really are other than offering the Tallahassee dealer a lower price and see if they take it.
  • Options
    peaches0422peaches0422 Member Posts: 2
    Was this an automatic? I just got a quote for 27,890.00 for the AT/Navi, fully loaded. Do you think I should have held out for a lower price. This is the Atlanta area and is an out the door price. Have to be there in the morning or lose it. One reason I am inclined to take it is because I have been unable to find the Desert Mist color ANYWHERE! Advise please.This also had pinstriping, mud thingys, etc.
  • Options
    leechristaleechrista Member Posts: 4
    I have been gifted some money for a car and would like an 06 Accord SE LX. My "gifter" seems to think I can buy this car for $16999 as it says in our newspaper but I keep trying to explain this is not the way it works in real life. I would like to know what to look for out the door. Thank so much..and if it matters I am in zip code 32712.
  • Options
    grevaygrevay Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy an 06 accord EX V-6 in Maine. I need help with some prices to go for. I'm in zip code 04105.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    As many have said... it is hard to compare when you use just the OTD price. Taxes and license are different across the country.
  • Options
    Well, things didn't go as planned. I was able to get the price down considerably on the manual EX-L 4 cyl sedan, but I hit a snag. Upon test driving it, I noticed that the steering was very unresponsive, far different from every other equally spec-ed Accord that I've test driven this past weekend. Factor in that this car wasn't my wife's first choice colorwise, we walked away from this "deal."

The only place that had the color scheme we really wanted was Ourisman in Bethesda. For those familiar with this disgraceful "dealer," they add every worthless dealer option imagineable to mark-up the prices of their cars. They de-face their cars with pin-stripes, door-edge guards, mud guards, wheel-well guards, and massive sunroof visors among other things. Even if the car ended up being cheaper with all this junk, I would never give this place a dime of my money.

Oh well, I'll just a keep an eye out for the car I want, and then try and work a deal for it when it comes around.
  • Options
    bmanflyerbmanflyer Member Posts: 5
    If you are in NC and looking to buy a new Honda I would advise you check Asheboro Honda or Flow Honda. I bought a new 06 Accord from Crown They advertise that if you find a lower price within 7 days they will refund 110% of the difference. HA do not believe it. They ask for documention that they know you can not provide " Buyers agreement including your trade " How can you get a buys agreement including your trade when they have it??? And what does a trade have to do with the price of the car?? BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    who was your salesman at that dealer, if you don't mind me asking? The guy I dealt with wasn't too bad, but when he came back with the price, even after I mentioned the 750 dealer cash, he beat around the bush about it, then straight out told me the dealer wants to keep it for himself. My biggest crutch at making the purchase, though, is that I have a trade-in, and my payoff on it is roughly 1000-1500 more than it's KBB trade-in value. I'd sell it myself, but that would require too much premeditation of the purchase, which ruins some of the exciting feeling of guilt you have after buying a car more spontaneously!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    "who was your salesman at that dealer, if you don't mind me asking?"

Why, yes... we do mind... Please read the message printed in RED above the "Post a Message" box....

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    speedraspeedra Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased today in High Point, NC.

Price: 18866.02
    Tax: 565.98
    License and Title: 69.00
    Processing Fee: 249.00
    TOTAL: 19750.00

How'd I do?
  • Options
    saleman99saleman99 Member Posts: 16
    This afternoon I purchased a brand new Honda Accord EX. After my down payment the balance I would need to finance was $18767. When I spoke with the finance guy he said I qualified for 4.99% 60 month financing and that my payment would be $363, but if I bought the extended 7yr warranty my payment would be $377. I told him that was too much, and he countered with $370. I decided that $7 more a month was not bad and I agreed. I signed the loan documents and went home with my new car.

When I got home I got out a calculator to figure out what my payment would have been if I didn't get the warranty and to my surprise I came up with $354, even though the finance guy told me $363. Has anyone ever run into this problem before and is there anything I can do about it. I feel deceived and tricked into getting the warranty with his fake payment. I have no written proof that this is what he told me. Someone Please Help!
  • Options
    speedraspeedra Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention the dealer add ons which included paint sealant, pinstripe, and mudguards.

So again:

New 2006 Accord Sedan LX-SE Auto Trans w/ Graphite Pearl exterior with above mentioned dealer add ons.

Price: 18866.02
    Tax: 565.98
    License and Title: 69.00
    Processing Fee: 249.00
    TOTAL: 19750.00

How'd I do?
  • Options
    cobbgacobbga Member Posts: 6
    Saleman99....Finance guy charged you 5.99% for 60 months. Go to bankrate.com and punch in the same numbers for 5.99% and see if it matches to 363. Its the usual routine scams that the car finance guys run. One of my friends had the similar issue with Curry Honda in Atlanta. He went in the next day and talked to the GM. He was nice and made the finance guy fix it. You should take a look at the finance papers and see if it says 5.99% or 4.99%. If it says 4.99%, ask him to redo the contract without extended warranty. And yes, you can cancel the extended warranty and get full refund.

Goodluck with it and please let us know how it went. We would be eager to know the name of the dealership.