Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    royalbluebirdroyalbluebird Member Posts: 7
    Wow, $1500 below invoice would be about 22,753, which seems to be $59 more than invoice -(3% of MSRP) -$750= 22694.50. Is there any other car discount being used besides the 3% holdback from MSRP and the $750 manufacturer to dealer cash back?

I am trying to get a better deal at the current time on the EX-L 4cyl AT w/ Nav.
    Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    jxbst15jxbst15 Member Posts: 21
    My .02 -

Don't believe the dealers. There is more to profit than what they make on the individual cars, especially on the Accord. The Accord is a loss leader for them - they don't expect much profit on the car and hope to make it back through financing, volume sales incentives from Honda corporate, and service/maintenance down the road. Also, the dealer processing fee and destination charge are built in profit too...

What I did when I was confronted with this tactic was to tell the salesperson to not BS with me and let it be known that if they want the sale it would be a true invoice deal, and if they help me get my price I'd give him a benjamin after closing the deal.

Sure enough it worked, because the sales guy I dealt with needed a couple Accord sales to get a bonus of around $3k that month, so he really didn't care about how much profit he made on my particular sale.

Not sure if it will work everywhere, but these guys don't get paid much, so be firm and hold your price.
  • Options
    cm77cm77 Member Posts: 12
    That seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me. What dealership in MD did you buy from?
  • Options
    darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    My best quote for a EXL-4 cyl. auto is $ 21, 300 not including TLL. from Rock Honda in So. Ca.
  • Options
    jxbst15jxbst15 Member Posts: 21
    Sport Honda in Silver Spring - I gave them my price, told them I was ready to make a deal, and they didn't mess around with negotiations. It was a quick and pleasant transaction.

More of my .02 - I think it's the wrong tactic to approach any Honda dealer with 'give me your best price on this Accord' because you're going to have a hard time negotiating very far down from where they are. Go in with your price in mind, make it clear you're ready to purchase, make it also clear you know what the TRUE invoice is, get the sales guy on your side, and you'll be surprised how low they are willing to go on prices to get the sale.

I would think this is true regardless of where you live.
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Wilmington, NC

Trading in a:
    2004 Ford Explorer 4-door XLS 4x4
    4.0L V6, 5A, 41.5K miles
    Dark green/light tan cloth
    No options
    (CD, all power, A/C, cruise standard)
    "Above average" condition (no mechanical problems or major cosmetic blemishes)
    Tires have maybe 20% left, brakes are original but still OK
    All maintenance done including full synthetic oil changes
    One owner, no accidents, clean CarFax
    Payoff is $11,552.52, they are willing to "allow" this amount

Looking at a:
    NEW 2006 Accord LX "SE" (2.4L, 5M)
    Black/tan cloth
    Only options on this are pinstripes and mudguards
    (SE comes with alloys, carbon-look interior inserts, 120W 6-disc in-dash, body colored mirrors, etc.)
    MSRP $21,275 incl. dest.

NOW THE POTENTIAL DEAL:
    Trade difference of $8,437.50
    +240 taxes
    +275 Dealer Over Charge (DOC)
    +payoff of 11,552.52
    Financing $20,505

SO, I would be out the door for under MSRP, but aren't these critters going for less than that these days?

What does everyone here think of this deal? (my goal is fair to both parties)
  • Options
    gonein60secgonein60sec Member Posts: 56
    Lowest quotes I got for EX V6 Auto is from NJ dealers so far. Try DCH Paramus and OpenRoad Honda (Wayne). Quotes from NYC dealers were at least $1K higher.
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I just contacted this dealership and asked if I could get the same deal on a Nighthawk Black Accord Coupe EX-L MT. I live in Nashville, Tennessee but I told them I would make the trip. Was your car made in Maryville, Ohio? Thanks in advance. The car is not showing in their inventory, but I thought they might be able to get it.
  • Options
    gilnashgilnash Member Posts: 19
    temj12 - what kind of prices are Nashville dealers offering? According to posts on this site, a few are getting $1,800 below invoice, many getting about $1,000 below invoice.

If you decide to go out-of-town, it may be worth checking prices in the Chicago area via emails. The prices there are competitive and it are cheap one-way flights to Chicago using Southwest Air.
  • Options
    ramidaramida Member Posts: 67
    "Looking at a:
    NEW 2006 Accord LX "SE" (2.4L, 5M)
    Black/tan cloth
    Only options on this are pinstripes and mudguards
    (SE comes with alloys, carbon-look interior inserts, 120W 6-disc in-dash, body colored mirrors, etc.)
    MSRP $21,275 incl. dest."

This is absolutely a deal to avoid! At this time of the year when the 07 models are just a couple of months away, you should be aiming for no less than $500-UNDER-Invoice deals (under $19k, not more).

Avoid that critty dealer at all cost!

ramida
  • Options
    Again, here in S. CA. one should be entertaining offers 1 - 1.5K UNDER invoice.
  • Options
    laurieclauriec Member Posts: 7
    That's a good price. I got the same car, with Navigation for $22,950 at Honda Village in Newton, MA.
  • Options
    saaab298saaab298 Member Posts: 5
    What about 22,800 + tax + doc fee for V6 EX leather Coupe!! Is it a good deal...? :mad:
  • Options
    chejo28chejo28 Member Posts: 34
    Hi espec30. Do you mind telling me which Orange County Dealership gave you this price? $21,200 is not the out-the-door price, I assume? Thanks! :shades:
  • Options
    jetstream5jetstream5 Member Posts: 8
    I've gotten quotes for a V6 EX-L w/o nav. ranging from $23610 to $24320 (includes destination). OTD would add approximately $1850. Any thoughts on these numbers would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    techguy06techguy06 Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 2006 Accord SE Automatic from Autowest Honda in Fremont, and would HIGHLY recommend their internet sales department. I emailed about 15 dealers in Bay Area, and Autowest was lowest for $18,362 (incl. destination). TTL fees were $45 documentation, $210 DMV, $8.75 CA tire recycling, $1518.58 (8.25%) tax, for OTD of $20,144. I had calculated a "fair" price of around $18,500 after taking invoice and subtracting 3% holdback and the $750 incentive, so I did not plan to negotiate much further. Capitol Honda let me walk out when I tried to get below $18,500, and assured me that Fremont must be lying.

I found the Fremont staff to be very honest and straightforward. I chose a Silver car with < 2 miles on it, the seats etc all still covered in plastic wrap. Salesman gave me the mats and wheel locks free without my even asking, but said I'd have to pay for any other accessories. He showed me the accessory price list and did not try to push anything. The finance guy explained possible extended warranties etc, but was not pushy when I declined (though declining motivated him to reduce the fees and increase the warranty by 2 yr). I paid cash, so I don't know about their financing. There were absolutely no hidden fees. They washed the car, explained all the car features, and I was out the door in about 3 hours total.
  • Options
    ambhooambhoo Member Posts: 11
    I received a quote of $21,363 for Accord EX 4cy/AT including TTL total is $23,397 from a local dealer through internet. Is this a good deal? let me know what is the price people are paying in Metro Detroit area.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    For leather, yes

Leather or cloth? If leather, great deal...if cloth, you can probably do a little better.
  • Options
    cheapersbettercheapersbetter Member Posts: 8
    Hats off to Tina Tina she posted few weeks back on her exp buying a 2006 Accord SE Auto in the Bay Area. I figured what the heck I live in San Jose and she got the deal up in San Fran so San Jose dealers would be game.

Used Costco and my closet dealer to my house was the Stevens Creek Honda dealer and the Costco salesman guy calls me and we set up a time. Go there check the car all is good and ask for my costco price. They say Invoice plus 300 so like 20300.00 plus tax title and license. I say thats really high and you can do better. So they play the game where the salesman goes back to manager, I sit and wait at table, takes lots of time, price gets to 19400, plus TTL.
    I say way to high, I need better price, they say 18,800 best they can do, I say go 18200 and buy now, manager laughs at me says he is done. I say thanks and c ya later. He calls me next day and laughs at me again (whats up with that?) and hangs up. So did not like Stevens Creek Honda.
    Tried plan B and mass emailed as many honda Dealers within 30 mile radius of san jose, no one could give me deal close to Colma Honda. To be fair the next best was Dublin Honda at 18400.00 maybe I could have haggle a bunch and got 18300 but what the heck Colma was upfront on the price.
    Went with plan C, emailed Colma Honda, price is 18300 plus TTL per tinatina post. Got brand new car, 4 miles on it, still in plastic, they detail car, I pay cash and out of dealership in an hour and half. Great car, I test drove the Hyundai Sonata V6 and Toyota Camry LE V4. Sonata was nice but gas mileage reports and the resale value was a bummer. The toyota, great car but those toyota guys do not want to haggle. I know that toyota camry will drop in price once the incentives come out, my GF bought the Camry LE 2006 for 16,599.00 Plus TTL so I can't see the 2007 camry LE at 19200 plus TTL and they have the same MSRP so dealers are makin a killin on camry esp the Camry Hybrid. Anyway so my total was 20049.21 OTD anyone in california can go to the DMV website and calculate fees, print it out and take to dealer to make sure they are not pullin a fast one on you.
    https://vrir.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

Oh yea the dealer installed the wheel locks for free and carpets were in the car also.
    Good luck peps
  • Options
    $18,300 is a great price. I also had roughly that number in mind thanks to Tinatina's post. I got $18,362 from Fremont, as posted above in #11749. I guess I could have got a bit lower, but I don't mind since the Fremont guys were close to my house and treated me very nicely.

I had similar bad experience with Steven's Creek. I got an online quote of $18,888. The guy emailed me the next day with one sentence "DO YOU STILL WAITING FOR MAGIC?" Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Interestingly, Dublin quoted me $19000 when I checked two days ago.
  • Options
    katsagirlkatsagirl Member Posts: 1
    i paid $22,845 before tax and license. :) not sure if it's a super deal but with the price of civics, i was happy the accord prices.

-Kat
  • Options
    chejo28chejo28 Member Posts: 34
    i think you got a great deal. i was also looking at civics but their prices are too outrageous and i can't even get the color i want with navi. i've been researching for civics for months now and i've decided i would get a better deal with the accords as well. so which dealer did you go to? if you can give me more details, i would appreciate it. thanks! i'm in southern california by the way. :shades:
  • Options
    txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    That's a very good price that you're getting for dealership nearby San Jose. I was shopping around and the best I could find is from Honda in Gilroy for $20,800 OTD. Did you have to do any negiotiation for that price? Thanks.
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    You are welcome folks. Enjoy the car. I have now put on over 300 miles in the car in my second week of ownership. I did not use the car much during my first week of ownership. The price included the wheel locks, mud guards, the one year roadside assistance, and the door guard trim.

You are right, their finance manager was not pushy about the add-ons - such as extended warranty, service contracts. I complimented him at the time, and when I get the survey I will note it (in addition to the positive attitude of the salesperson).

I agree with your comments on the competitors. I originally looked at the Sonata, but then I would have to travel to San Jose, the East Bay, or the North Bay for service, etc. The travel time is just too far and you would have to factor in increase gas cost and bridge tolls. (I just realized that a new Hyundai dealership opened in Burlingame - oh well). As far as the Toyota Camry, its a great car - no doubt, but in 4 cylinder trim, I don't think its better than an Accord. For me, the price differential is at least $2,000 when you equip the Camry LE the same as the Accord SE (the $19,200 figure you cited was just for the Camry LE with floor mats only). I also think the Accord will have better resale value. Don't get me wrong though, they are both great vehicles as is the Sonata.

Txn428, two other good dealership may be the Honda dealership in Sunnyvale and Anderson Honda. I base this on others who posted here and on the dedicated Pilot thread. Always deal with the Internet Manager though (if you have not already done so).
  • Options
    kevingeekevingee Member Posts: 10
    Just wondering what people are getting for rates on dealer financing? In NH I can get 5 years @ 5.85 APR. Are they beating that at the dealer?
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Hello,

That rate seems good. However, rates vary from state to state. I live in CA and I got 5.74% for 60 months on my Accord two weeks ago. The dealer matched the rate of my credit union. If you have not already done so, I would check with a credit union or Costco (if you are a member). If you are in the market for an Accord, you may want to purchase over the 4th of July weekend. I would bet that Honda will have some attractive financing rates like they had for Memorial Day.
  • Options
    tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    I don't know....I am looking at LX SE only and the price he quoted was under 1000. What is the invoice on Edmunds? Email around and see if anyone got better deals than that. I think Kent Honda in fort worth fleet manager gives out best deal out there in DFW plus no haggle and free tint with out any other accessories. The price should be under 1K from invoice. Let me know what U get from others.
  • Options
    Hi Tinatina,

Thank you for your recommendations. I'll look into Honda in Sunnyvale and Anderson Honda. I think I should wait for July 4 weekend (as suggested above) to see if they have any other specials :)
  • Options
    That seems to be about right. I got a couple of quotes from NJ dealers ranging from $23,618 to $23,827 for the non-navi EX-V6 including destination but not including TTL.
  • Options
    I know Acura is offering 2.9% for 36 months and 4.9% for 60 months until the end of July. Don't know if Honda will be offering the same. No special financing deals appear on the Honda website as of now.
  • Options
    I didn't have to negotiate at all to get $20,144 OTD from Fremont. I just requested a quote from their website. Go to "Express Quote" under "Contact Us"; it has more options than the form on the main page. Good luck!
  • Options
    ambhooambhoo Member Posts: 11
    No, this Accord EX V4. Just factory installed no options. If there are better price than what I was quoted 23,397 let me know in Metro Detroit area.
  • Options
    cipherouscipherous Member Posts: 3
    I am just curious, is this after freight ($550)?

If so, then you got an awesome deal!

I settled for 23890 after freight and was able to get the music link thrown in (they say its worth $330)

I got the same package (EX/Leather and Nav)
  • Options
    is the 22950 before or after freight?
  • Options
    Is it auto or stick?
  • Options
    zzhungzzhung Member Posts: 12
    I received a quote from Fremont Autowest Honda in May, and was about 300 higher than your purchase price. I will use your price as reference now. I figured the license fee using the DMV site and it came to $183. I wonder if there are any additional related fees that would account for the difference of $210 - $183 = $27. Not a big amount, just wondering.

Here is the breakdown from the registration fee calculator

Purchase Price: $18,407.00
    County: Santa Clara
    Current Registration: 31.00
    Current California Highway Patrol: 9.00
    Current Vehicle License Fee: 120.00
    Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
    Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
    Current Smog High Polluter Repair Fee: 6.00
    Original Smog Abatement: 6.00
    Current Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
    Current Abandoned Vehicle 1.00
    Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
    Use/Sales Tax: 1,519.00
    Reflectorized License Plate Fee: 1.00
    Total Registration Fees: $183.00
    Total Use/Sales Tax: $1,519.00
    Grand Total Registration Fees: $1,702.00
  • Options
    cogscilibrariacogscilibraria Member Posts: 3
    I got 5.24% for 48 months from the dealer, who used an eastern Mass. bank. He said that was the best deal around, including Honda. My local bank was charging 5.5%.
    hope that helps,

(LOVE my red Accord ex-l, manual transmission ... LOVE IT)
  • Options
    Hi techguy06,

Thank you for your input, I'll see what quote they could give me.
  • Options
    nynewcarnynewcar Member Posts: 89
    Was this for an EX-L w/ Navi? Because if so, it sounds like a really great price.
  • Options
    No, W/O Nav. auto/4
  • Options
    postnobillspostnobills Member Posts: 43
    Good Lord, you people in Calif. have an incredible number of taxes and fees!
  • Options
    nynewcarnynewcar Member Posts: 89
    Thanks for that clarification :) !
  • Options
    rickwjennrickwjenn Member Posts: 40
    een analyzing this for months and finally pulled the trigger yesterday and took delivery today. I needed a TL for my business and a new Accord for my wife's car. I had been stalling thinking about the 07 TL update, but finally said to heck with it.

I bought an 06 TL with Navi for $32,575 inc destination - right about invoice. I got the Accord EXL Auto for $22,137 also right near invoice. Worked the deal via Norm Reeves Acura/Honda in Temecula, CA (north of San Diego). "Worked" is generous - they quote very aggressively from the start and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone in the Los Angeles or San Diego Area.

I did all the paper work via email yesterday and my wife and I were in the dealership for right at an hour - the process was very smooth, no add ons, no BS. Every thing was as per the phone calls/email. The only wait we had was the Accord prep since it just came off the truck. The TL had 6 miles on it and the Accord had 5 miles on it :)
  • Options
    I have been analyzing this for months and finally pulled the trigger yesterday and took delivery today. I needed a TL for my business and a new Accord for my wife's car. I had been stalling thinking about the 07 TL update, but finally said to heck with it.

I bought an 06 TL with Navi for $32,575 inc destination - right about invoice. I got the Accord EXL Auto for $22,137 also right near invoice. Worked the deal via Norm Reeves Acura/Honda in Temecula, CA (north of San Diego). "Worked" is generous - they quote very aggressively from the start and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone in the Los Angeles or San Diego Area.

I did all the paper work via email yesterday and my wife and I were in the dealership for right at an hour - the process was very smooth, no add ons, no BS. Every thing was as per the phone calls/email. The only wait we had was the Accord prep since it just came off the truck. The TL had 6 miles on it and the Accord had 5 miles on it .

The TL got 29 mpg on the 52 mile drive home at 80-85mph - while very impressive, the EXL fuel guage never budged and is still "past F" with 57 miles on the odometer. I can tell it is going to be a fuel sipping machine. It is also very powerful IMO for a 4cyl.

Thread Page - [1]
    Go to:
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    The TL got 29 mpg on the 52 mile drive home at 80-85mph

So much for keeping the speed down during the engine break-in period. :D
  • Options
    The manual actually does not list a mph figure for break-in - it just stated no full throttle starts and vary the speeds.

I was a good boy and did not put the pedal to the metal and keep the rpms below 4500 the whole time :)
  • Options
    hartthartt Member Posts: 79
    I received a quote for $24,700 on this vehicle. Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad?
    Also, are there currently any rebates?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    laurieclauriec Member Posts: 7
    That was after $550. dealer destination.
  • Options
    hkalvahkalva Member Posts: 2
    I paid 23,397 (including destination). 25,626 is the out of the door price(Los Angles). Try www.lahondworld.com (Downey)or Honda of Gardena. Car has an annoying rattle in the center storage box.
  • Options
    hartthartt Member Posts: 79
    Thanks. That was their first offer so I was hoping I could get them down a little more.
    Is that rattle just in your vehicle or have there been others complaining of the same thing?