Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I would not buy or lease a new car for a teenager to drive. It is usually not a question of if they will have a wreck, but when they will have a wreck. Also insurance is silly high for a teen and having them on a new car may be an insane number. I would think a nice, save, used care would be smarter money.

As to the price, invoice on the VP AT is $18,110 including destination. With the current $750 rebate, your price would seem to me to be $750 too high. Most of the time, you can get a new Accord for about invoice including dealer fees (or less) - then less any dealer money.

Dennis
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Welcome to the boards...

Many people end up paying nothing for these add ons. Just say that you don't want them and the dealer may just throw them in.

You can find out prices by checking Honda's website but that includes installation. If you want to know the cost of the parts, visit H and A Accessories.
  • Options
    babycutecutebabycutecute Member Posts: 17
    Just bought the Accord VP 4 door Auto. 17000 (including destination) + tax + tags.
  • Options
    louisnlouisn Member Posts: 110
    Carlock? I tried there 6 months ago. Ended up at Wolfchase in memphis. Carlock would not deal with me at all. Beat their deal by more than 2000 including a trade-in. You seem to have done fine, though. I assume your OTD price doesn't include AR. sales tax? Congrats.
  • Options
    mendota101mendota101 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I'm in California also . Would you be so kind as to tell me where you received the internet quote of 16,500 for the VP?

Thank you,

==Mike
  • Options
    pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    yup, carlock honda in jonesboro. previously these small town dealers were not inclined to deal, but i think that is changing.thanks to the internet. using the tmv feature in edmunds and talking to memphis dealers on the phone first, gave me an idea of what a reasonable price was.the price does not include sales tax.
  • Options
    saleemsaleem Member Posts: 114
    agreed, the SE is a huge leap from the LX and at not much more price. In addition to Alloy wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, and Electronic Brake Dist, I think you also get a 6-CD changer. Not sure if it's in the LX; I doubt it.

You also get the "carbon fiber look" trim, if you like it. And Steering-wheel audio controls!!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    Jonesboro? Can you swing over to St Bernards Village and check on my mother? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Those items are know in the industry as "dealer packs." Their only purpose is to increase the margin on the vehicle. I run from dealers who do this. If you want mud guards, for example, you can order them from the Parts Dept., and install them yourself - it's a very easy thing to do.

I avoid at all costs dealers who use dealer packs to increase their margins.
  • Options
    I have purchased several cars from "dealer pack" dealers without a problem. I the end I just got free stuff (like the mud guards). One you find the right person to deal with, they give you the bottom line price on the car (invoice or less including dealer fees) and then anything they have added to the car is now free.

Of course, at the WRONG dealer they will start out negotiations with the adjusted window sticker (MSRP + packs) and their first discount move is MSRP ("giving" you all the packs). THOSE dealers are the ones to ignore.

Dennis
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You are correct...the 6CD Changer is not offered on the LX, just the Special Edition and higher...
  • Options
    Someone posted this over in the Accord lease forum and I confirmed it with a dealer - you can't use the cheap lease on an Accord that has had the $750 incentive "figured into" the deal. The lease deal IS attractive (2.304% effective rate) but if you have to pay invoice to get the lease deal VS paying invoice-$750 for a purchase you may have to go with the purchase.

I have an e-mail out to a 2nd dealer to try to re-confirm this a 2nd time.

Dennis
  • Options
    robo_geekrobo_geek Member Posts: 20
    We have a 2002 CR-V and it works very well with car seats and kids. My next car (now that the kids are out of car-seats)is either going to be the 07 Accord or a 2005-6 Acura TL.

I am not sure if the TL is wider, but the Accord has slightly more rear seat legroom than the TL, even though both cars are the exact same wheelbase.

A couple big car-seat advantages for the CR-V is that the rear seats recline a bit, so the angle can match the car seat better than most sedans. The only downside is that the tether-anchors need to go up to the roof, which does not look as tidy as the tiedown location on a sedan.

Also, it is entirely possible to use the rear cargo area to do a diaper change on the CR-V, which is not very possible in a sedan, obviously.

And finally, since the rear seats can slide forward and aft, you can create more cargo room since young-ones do not need as much legroom. And best of all, the rear seat splits and folds, so you can have one youngster in a car seat while folding the other seat half for the lumber-haul from home depot. Bottom line: love the CR-V (has 40K miles and has been perfect in every way) :shades:
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    An Accord wagon would have all of those advantages, but would get much better gas mileage and handle better - wish they still made one.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Acura TL

Head/hip/leg room, f: 38.7/55.6/42.8 in.

Head/hip/leg room, r: 37.2/53.8/34.9 in

Honda Accord Sedan

Head/hip/leg room, f: 40.4/54.6/42.6 in.

Head/hip/leg room, r: 38.5/53.5/36.8 in.

The TL holds a negligeable advantage in rear-seat width (.3 inches).
  • Options
    I confirmed this with a 2nd dealer - they do not get the $750 dealer incentive for Accords leased on the special discount lease.

FYI, the dealer (Hennessy) in GA is doing I4 Accord SE sedans w/AT for $19,060 (car including destination and dealer fees).

Dennis
  • Options
    hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    that is correct. If you use the special lease programs the dealer does not get the cash. you can only have one or the other.
  • Options
    chud2001chud2001 Member Posts: 36
    Actually, that is only partially correct.

The $750 incentive is from Honda Motors to it's franchised dealers while the special lease is an offer made by Honda Financial to customers. Entirely exclusive.
    It's the dealer's choice to not pass on the savings.
  • Options
    while being technically correct, there is no Honda dealder that will not pass that on to the customer. For reasons too many and too detailed to mention every dealer I know will give it to the customer. Dealers want to blow out their accords as fast as possible.

the major reason being that what they sell now has a direct impact on their allocation for the redesigned 08's

not too mention the fact that there is a year long encentive program on accords that ranges from 100-300 dollars per accord sold through 1/02/08. that can mean huge money to dealers that make their quota.
  • Options
    eponineeponine Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

I was offered the following price on the Honda Accord Coupe EX-L AT. What do you think? I worked them to the price of 22K but I challenged them on the dealer fee so they said that they have to charge that amount but they could take $300.00 off the price of the car.

$21,700 Base Price
    $599.00 Dealer Fee
    + Tax and Title

Thanks!
  • Options
    czar260czar260 Member Posts: 5
    My father just bought an SE 5AT (without much comparison between dealers) for $19,400 (includes dest) + taxes and fees - was this a fair price?
  • Options
    that is not too bad a price. At our dealership we are selling for a bit less but only to local customers that will do their service here as well.
  • Options
    I just posted (about 12 hours before you did) that a dealer in GA was doing $19,060 for the car with dealer fee and destination included. $19,400 is still a good price if that includes any dealer prep or doc fees.

Dennis
  • Options
    that is a very good price. the best we are doing is 18,975 and again only for local customers. however we want a big allocation for 08's so we might just start doing that for everyone lol
  • Options
    redhat381redhat381 Member Posts: 26
    could you tell me where you are and at what dealership? thanks. i'm looking for the same car.
  • Options
    explorer071076explorer071076 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I am from Chicago, buying a new 2007 Accord EX AT (4dr). I negotiated a price of $20,600 (excluding tax, destination fees, registration fees). Is it a good price?
  • Options
    I4 or V6?

I assume I4. Invoice of the I4 EX sedan w/AT is $21,754 INCLUDING the $595 destination fee. There is a $750 dealer incentive on Accords so a good price would be $21,004 or less for the car INCLUDING destination fee and any dealer doc or prep fees.

Your price of $20,600 + $595 dest = $21,195 is pretty close - as long as you do not pay any dealer fees on top of that price (just actual tags, taxes, and license fees).

Dennis
  • Options
    The $750 incentive is from Honda Motors to it's franchised dealers while the special lease is an offer made by Honda Financial to customers. Entirely exclusive.
    It's the dealer's choice to not pass on the savings.

I understand the two sources - but AHFC MUST be charging the dealers some fee to "participate" in the discounted lease program at this time. These dealers in the past would always give me a good price and NEVER cared if you paid cash, financed, or leased the car. NOW they say you can't combine a "$750 aware" price with the cheap lease. So while the source of the dealer money and the discount lease is not the same - there must be a financial contribution from the dealer for each customer that does the cheap lease. Otherwise these dealers would offer the same price for any transaction - as they always have in the past.

Dennis
  • Options
    chud2001chud2001 Member Posts: 36
    ...the best we are doing is 18,975...

would you lease at that price?

(just need a car for a few year and don't want to worry about having to sell at the end)
  • Options
    explorer071076explorer071076 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, its I4. Thanks for the info. Is there any Factory Holdback? Also, what's the current APR on auto loans (assuming that I take 48 month or 60 month term loan)? Is it better to get financing from the dealer or outside such as Capital one? Thanks.
  • Options
    Holdback on Honda is 3% of MSRP, see the Edmunds page here.

Normally, most dealers will not deal into holdback at all unless they are really desperate to move a car (like a left over 2006 or something) so about invoice less incentives is normally a good deal.

You can check the rates and get pre-approved at CaptialOne online then challenge the dealer to match of beat the rate. If they can, so you save, if they can't you use your pre-approved money. Also check your bank and credit union to see how their rate stacks up. Honda has low APR (below market in some cases) on its trucks (except the new CR-V) but nothing on the Accord - so says the Edmunds incentives page.

Dennis
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    I know this isn't the absolute best deal possible, but it is attractive in my opinion and I'm happy with it because it's from my local Honda store (4 miles from my house).

This dealer is notorious ($599 protection package add-ons, etc); I've gotten fed up with them before and have walked out on "deals." I thought I'd never be able to buy a Honda locally because of how ridiculous they always act, but yesterday they had tags inside the new Accords showing under invoice pricing, so no argument there.

They were at $18595... Invoice with destination is $18740, TMV for my area is $19256 (or $18506 if you get the whole $750 rebate) and MSRP on the car is $20720.

Instead of directly asking them for rest the $750 rebate I just asked them to reduce their outrageous $389 doc fee to $199, include the tag fee and of course I'm not paying for that protection package. I haven't decided yet if I want to try and hammer them all the way to invoice, eliminate the doc fees, etc and still take the $750 rebate and save about $600; or, just ask that they come off the doc fee by $190 and include the tags.

They gave me the car for two days as I wanted to sleep on it and so my wife will have plenty of time to check it out, then we'll finalize everything Saturday.
  • Options
    There are dealers that will sell you an Accord for about invoice less $750 dealer incentive including dealer doc fees. You dealer is at $18,984 with the dealer fee and invoice (you said, I didn't check) is $18,740 then - $750 = $17,990 - so just over $900 too high.

Most dealers can't or won't discount or remove the doc fee (it is pre-printed on the forms so they "can't" change it) - so they will just discount the car by that or some amount.

Remember, Honda does not have a "rebate" - this is factory to dealer incentive money. But no harm in letting them know you know about it.

I would say if you have had trouble dealing with this dealer in the past, then make them an offer close to $18,000 including destination and doc fee and if they don't take it, go somewhere else. Some of my local dealers just will not deal low and will lose business (over and over) to other dealers that will. No need to waste your time and the dealers if they are just no going to go as low as others will. So make your offer and walk away if they will not get close.

If you post where you are located perhaps others in your area can point you to a lower priced dealer?

Dennis
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You should be able to get it at invoice with no doc fee at all and without paying for the protection package.

Up to you how much you want to hammer them.
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Just concentrate on comparing the OTD price (apples to apples) and do not worry abut the various "fees"
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    5-speed... cool.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Agreed, $900 is too high, that's why I wanted them to come off the $389 doc fee, and I already had their assurance that the protection package was included in the price, or whatever-they-want-to-do-with-it-as-long-as-I'm-not-paying. That still might be "too high," but I'm trying to weigh the benefits of buying from the local guy. This time, everything with them (so far) has been very pleasant.

I'm in Fayetteville NC. Local guy is 4 miles from home and work (1 mile from wife's work). There are 2 other dealers within 40 miles and I think at least three more within 80 miles.

I don't mind them making just a few hundred bucks, I mean where I work we don't give ANYTHING away, except for that one time where the general manager sold his dad at cost. Even employees are 10% over cost.

Maybe I'll just tell them to include whatever doc fee they want to charge in the $18,595 and be done with it. Meet me in the middle. I could drive 40 miles for a couple hundred but then I'd have to take it to the local guy for service... You know?
  • Options
    Oh yea, I love manuals... and cars in general! I'm 25 and have had, lets see... 5 cars so far (I've been keeping them longer and longer though, last two were 2.5 and 3+ years respectively). Two of the 5 have been sticks, my first car a 1990 Mazda 626 DX (great car) and then my 4th car, a 1998 Mazda 626 ES-V6 (another creat car). Too bad there is so much Ford in the new Mazdas ("average" reliability at best). But I'm getting off topic... Anyways, this will make it 3 manuals out of 6 total!
  • Options
    I rarely, almost never, get service from the dealer that sold me the car so "I could care less" where I get it as long as I get the best deal. All dealers are subject to customer rating for both the sales and service/maintenance process so the local dealers treat me just fine when I have to take my car in. As a reward I give them good reviews with the surveys and they get my money for maintenance items.

I also would not do a lot of driving to save just a little money, get it pretty close and I can live with it. You can't always squeeze the last nickel out of every deal and waste your time and worry trying to do it.

For example, each $100 in your $18,595 deal is 0.54% of the price so if you were $400 apart that is 2.15% of the price of the car. If your favorite steak house raised the price of the sirloin special from $14.95 to $15.27 would you order a grilled cheese instead? Probably not :D

Get the best deal you can and as long as it is close to a super price get your new ride and be happy.

Dennis
  • Options
    I got an e-mail from Holmes Honda in Shreveport, LA with what APPEARS to be some nice prices on Accords. I got on their e-mail list when shopping for deals on an Accord, S2000, and/or a Civic.

They show the EX-L sedan AT for $24,227.57 . Invoice appears to be $25,414 so even with $750 off invoice you are looking at $24,664 so the price APPEARS to be $436 under invoice less the $750 incentive. I don't know if they add any fees onto that price or not.

I have no connection with Holmes and never ended up getting a car from them, but in the past they were known as a high volume, low price Honda dealer.

The web page is at this link and I would assume anyone in their Internet sales department could help you. If you live within an easy drive they may be worth a shout.

The e-mail says they have similar savings on all in stock Accords.

Dennis
  • Options
    gdg2gdg2 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all for the info and knowledge. Just got mine:

$22,346 + Tax (659) + Tags (69)
  • Options
    cajamexcajamex Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote last year from Holmes Honda for an Accord-SE Sedan AT 4 cyl for $18,983. I live in Louisiana & that was the cheapest quote I received. The only thing wrong with that is it's about 3 hours away.
  • Options
    sunny77890sunny77890 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 2007 Accord SE AT for $18500 including destination charge. OTD price is 19800. What are the prices you guys pay for your Accord SE AT? :)
  • Options
    dradcliffedradcliffe Member Posts: 4
    Just paid $18900 plus $95 doc fee
  • Options
    dingjuncndingjuncn Member Posts: 9
    This is the lowest OTD price I have seen here for 07 SE AT.
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    dingjuncndingjuncn Member Posts: 9
    Dradcliffe,
    Just want to get a confirmation that $18900 you mentioned was before tax and plate transfer. Thanks!
  • Options
    wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    Was this OTD? IF not what was your OTD price and what state are you in? I haven't been quoted a price yet but need to know what to expect. I'm in GA. 2007 SE auto. ;)
  • Options
    scipiojscipioj Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new car 2007 Accord Coupe EX AT V4 $22200 OTD.
    What do you think?
  • Options
    saleemsaleem Member Posts: 114
    18800 including destination; 18970 incl dest and dealer/doc fee.

18500 is an amazing price, as long as the doc fee isnt like $700.
  • Options
    If you are in GA, Hennessey in Woodstock quoted me $19,060 for the car with destination and dealer fee included. Invoice is $20,196 less the $750 dealer incentive would be $19,446 - so $19,060 for the car with dest and dealer fee would seem to be a very nice price.

You should be able to get the same price, just visit their web page and shoot an e-mail to their "Internet department".

Dennis