Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Options
    cadillacraigcadillacraig Member Posts: 18
    I think the battery was the factory original. AC Delco. Then the car sat over two yearswith out being run. Iam not ruling out that it may have had a charging problem before I came along. I asked the seller to put the battery on a trickle charge over night before I came to buy the car. He did not. When I showed up he simply jumped it to a jump box then it atarted right up. At that time I did not check the info center to see what it was showing for a charge. Then we turned it off and came back the next day to pick it up. The same thing was done, juped it then drove it 10 miles home. It started once on its own at that time. Then the next day it was dead. I then put a trickle charge over night and it didnt gain enought to start. I put a load tester on it. It read 12.5 volts and went down to 6 when tried to put the load on it. I removed it and replaced it with the closest to original without spending 210.00 so I bought the 115.00 one and installed it. Seems fine until I checked the info readout on the dash. ??
  • Options
    I did find one for 600.00 . Complete car with bad engine, I dont need the whole thing. Then I took the door handle apart and epoxied two pennies to the sides of the broken plastic part to add strength. It worked and the door handle and door panel are back together. Thank you for the help. Craig
  • Options
    e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    Interesting because mine has been around 15V recently. Time to break out a meter and see if it is the dash instrument or for real. And would suggest the same as your first step.
    What is the $115 option? It needs to be vented or one of those totally sealed batteries that some have tried. Otherwise you run the risk of an explosion from an unvented to the outside battery. Hydrogen gas.
    Even with the OEM battery, you might need to replace the vent kit. The newer Delco batteries are slightly shorter than the original and the vent plugs might not be securely fastened to the battery. Make sure you get the right one when ordering, a lot of the older ones still in the system a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    I agree that a meter is the way to test for the actual voltages. If I recall correctly, my original Delco read 15-15.2V after start and 14.8V charged, just like clockwork on the DIC. So the 13.8V figure in the previous post has me wondering.

About 16 months ago entering Winter both numbers started dropping and the lights started to dim at idle. So I got an Interstate 880cca replacement.

The new battery jumps to 15.4 at start and drops to 15-15.2V after running for a while. There are a lot of toys drawing on these batteries, and I don't want my heated seats to go hungry.

Jack
  • Options
    The battery for 115.00 is as close as I could get to original without going to the OEM. This battery has the factory rectangle wents on both ends like the OEM and I have it venting through the floor just like the OEM one. Voltage meter time I guess?
  • Options
    caddy_oldscaddy_olds Member Posts: 4
    hey i have a 97 aurora and my security light has a steady glow and my dealer said that thats ok but if it starts flashing then i have a problem i had my keys replaced wiyh new pellets but the same lights stays on,any answers out there? I found a shop that can bypass the pass-key system but then my anti theft wont work at all, had it done on my 97 pontiac
  • Options
    Now that I bought a rebuilt alternator, thinking I have a internal regulator problem, I removed the alt. and had it tested. it is putting out 13.6 v olts and the new one fluctualtes between 13.8 and 14.1 so why is it that the battery tests at 17.6 when the car is running? I plan on installing a new alt. and I wonder where to look for the over charging problem next?
  • Options
    Is that 17.6 reading on the DIC? What does it read with engine off?
    It seems that 17.6V would cook a battery in short time. My memory is foggy, but I think a battery should read about 12.8V without a load (engine off). It is impossible to go beyond that fully charged point because of how a lead acid battery works. Higher voltages are present during the charging state.
    The best place to check would be right at the battery, and I'm talking probing the actual contact on the battery.
    Batteries also act as huge capacitors removing the AC component from the line to end up with pure DC. Output of alternators is rectified to DC but result in a huge ripple, AC component, filtered by the battery. Most meters will read that component at their RMS value and depending upon the circuitry of the meter, with reaction times involved, might see it at the peak value, and that is on the DC scale. See what you have present on the AC scale.
    And when I say meters, that includes the one in your dash. I don't know if that has built in metering or is just a display for a signal passed from the computer or other box.
    If you find an AC component at the battery, I'd suspect a problem with the battery. Older batteries might not filter the AC component sufficiently. As batteries age from use, they tend not to take the charge as readily and internal resistance can go up. Also a battery that sits on shelf for about a year will be dead and often not chargeable. (I don't understand that phenomenon)
    You are using a digital volt meter?
  • Options
    The battery is new and reads 12.8 with the engine off. Then with it running it reads, 17.6 I checked at the positive cable under the hood also. The dash reads 17.6 also. With the alternator off it puts out 13.6 and the new one puts out 13.8. i would like to know what else I could check?
  • Options
    Read my previous post carefully and try to understand it.
    Make readings at the battery itself, probing to the contact of the battery.
    Put meter on AC scale and see what it reads. Also use the body/frame as the grounding point for meter at some point other than connecting bolt and check for a low voltage with engine running. Set meter to lowest scale and check for both AC and DC. You may have a weak bond allowing the positive voltage to float slightly above earth/chassis ground reference at some points, the important ones. That may not make sense (poorly worded on my point), but do it anyway as a method of eliminating possibilities.
    The voltage regulator is built into the alternator, right?
    I suppose it is possible for stray noise on the line to disrupt proper regulation especially if there is a defective component in the regulator. Are there any capacitors on the external of the alternator? Or the original one if you remember?
    If it is noise disrupting regulation, it obviously is coming from something not on the alternator test bed. But that does not mean it is normal noise not handled by the alternator (defective).
    Good Luck
  • Options
    I have installed a new alternator and now the info center reads 19.8 volts!! I am looking to find a fuseable link between the alt. and info center? Can anyone tell me where I could find a wiring schematic for this? Craig
  • Options
    subscribe to AllData. They are quite reasonable.
  • Options
    Why are you looking for link?
  • Options
    i have narrowed it down to the PCM (I think). Iam asking if anyone knows if the PCM can be (flashed) or reset? I ordered a new PCM from my local parts store after providing them with the #s off the existing one. So when the part comes in, I plan on taking the car to a local GM dealer. I have disconnected the Alt. for the 15 mile trip, hope to avoid blowing up the battery. I hope they can flash, or reset the PCM without having to replace it. Any input on this? Thanks, from, Craig
  • Options
    Nice find if correct. Can you explain your reasoning?
    The chip in the PCM is flashable, but likely not involved. Since OBD II, many vehicles within a make could have the same exact PCM, except for the programming. Before OBD II, many could have the same computer but the chip inside had to be model specific because they were not dealer programable.
    A GM dealer with the proper equipment is best for this work. When a computer problem is involved, other shops will pull it and take it to the dealer for checking and programming if necessary. To the best of my knowledge, GM still does not disperse this info except to dealers. And they would have any updates as well which are distributed electronically through the GM net to the testing/flashing machines.
  • Options
    I joined AllData and printed out some wiring scematics. I think this problem started when the car was driven with a dead battery. Once it was home, I charged the battery until it had 12.5 volts. Then it failed the load test miserably. So I replaced the battery with the proper new one. That is when i noticed the dash readout of over 17.6 volts. I then removed the alt. and had it checked out. It was putting out 13.6, yet it was delivering over 17.6 to the battery at the battery. I learned that the alt. is controlled by the PCM. I will reinstall the cooling fans and hoses so the car can be driven the 15miles to the dealer. I have the alt. unplugged for the trip. dealer wants 350.00 for a new PCM and the local parts store 110.00 and four days to get it. I hope to not need it by getting lucky at the GM dealer with this flashing of the PCM.
  • Options
    Find out if that price includes flashing if needed at dealer. The one at the parts store would likely need to be taken to dealer and flashed unless they say otherwise and that might cost $100.
    Just a heads up.
    It certainly seems strange that the PCM acts as voltage regulator. My guess would have been that it might convert the voltage to a signal for the DIC to display.
    Also sounds like maybe the charging caused damage. Because the battery was basically dead, it was not acting as enough of a filter for the output of the charger and AC ripple getting to the system might have done the damage.
    Also I had noted that with the advent of computer controlled vehicles the procedure for disconnecting battery has changed, so it seems. Everyone used to just pull the positive terminal from battery. Now the recommendation is to pull the negative (ground) terminal from battery first. And as added caution short the two together once battery is disconnected.
  • Options
    spiders1spiders1 Member Posts: 6
    How do you change out diver side lamp?
  • Options
    Went to start her and had nothing. I was 70 miles from home. Had to have it towed to a dealer. Found it was ignition switch. Cost about 500.00 to get it fixed. Didn't have many options. Should have known something was going. When I would leave key in and open door no chimes would go off. I don't know if that was a fare price or not. But again no options.I did notice I had power to windows and such,but there was no read out on message board.
    This is a 97.
  • Options
    bigred73bigred73 Member Posts: 1
    I have an aurora with similair problems that the other guy was talking about. Mines seems to run fine until it warms up then it will die after taking the foot off the gas. it stumbles and runs rough while accellerating and has a substantial lack of power. I believe mine is in limp in mode. I replaced the coil packs wires plugs, mas airflow sensor, and the map sensor. I am lost. The problem will get worse and worse until I would take it to the dealership and after they cleared the codes it would run right for about 3 days then it would start acting up again. I tried clearing the codes myself, but it still didnt run right. Please help
  • Options
    tootertatertootertater Member Posts: 26
    Hey guys. I have posted on this sight about this before and I still haven't solved the problem. I have changed Idle value,Mass air flow value, plugs ,plug wires, oil, oil filter,fuel control value none of these fixed my problem. My car idles ruff at stop lights. If traffic is heavy and I have too many stops it will completely go dead on me. It will crank right back up with no problem. I have taken it to a shop and they say it sound like a hole in one of my intake lines. After 6 hrs waiting for the call they tell me my whole intake value is screwed up. They said they called around for the part and only the Chevy dealer has it . $547 for parts, $245 for labor because they have to break down top of motor to get to it. I will have my car as soon as they get the parts in.2-3 days tops . If there is anyone out there who has a thought on this please send it in. I will get with you with my results.
  • Options
    brinwoodbrinwood Member Posts: 32
    Don't see mention of a new fuel filter, best install one soon or you will be having a new pump to pay for too. Do it tomorrow!!
  • Options
    tootertatertootertater Member Posts: 26
    Oh yeah, I have them a new fuel filter going in also. I had it with me when I dopped off the car. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Options
    cjl49cjl49 Member Posts: 4
    A local shop (Dobbs) has diagnosed a leaking problem as something requiring replacement of the R & P assembly for $1200 (including alignment). Given the value of the car that seems outrageous. A Firestone shop quoted $826 for the part, and then with installation and alignment it also pushes $1200.
    Since that's a healthy chunk of the value of the vehicle (despite its less than 50K miles!!!!!), other alternatives seem necessary.

An internet search shows that the going rate for remanufactured R & P assemblies (with 3 year warranties and free shipping) is about $220-$250, and Autozone quotes $354.00 for a new part.

My questions.
    Are remanufactured items generally reliable?
    Are there more parts to R& P replacement than just the assembly?
    Will repair shops be willing to work with parts that the customer brings in?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's probably because the car is an orphan. If it were a 1997 Cadillac, it would be considerably cheaper.

The quality of the rebuilt depends on who did it. Why don't you try NAPA auto parts. They usually carry good stuff.

As for installing it, you'll have to work that out with your private garage. Some might install your part but will not warranty the work.

Also, do some comparative shopping for estimates on repair. These are hard times. You can bargain. Shops need work right now.

I'd tend to stay away from chain stores as their quotes have a tendency to change.

A local family owned business would be a good place to start, or ask AAA to recommend a shop.

I have no idea where Autozone gets their new parts from. You should ask them where they are manufactured. If its Sri Lanka, maybe not a good idea (although it's a beautiful country and all). :P
  • Options
    Heres the latest. I took the car to the dealer and they found the PCM to be bad. They replaced it , 350.00 then said I need a thermister, 58.00 and now all is fine. The dash readout reads 14.6volts and the dealer says that is within specs. total cost 731.00. I thank you all for your input, help and support. Craig
  • Options
    My Potiac Bonneville was running ok but gas mileage was bad. Took it in for tune up and it got back to where it should be.THEN about 2 weeks later it started running like crap. It would run short while then run very rough and die out. It would start right back up then run awhile had no power. Took it in to a dealer and found it was a bad catalytic converter.Replaced it and put in new plugs again. All the problems went away.
    Just in case someone was haven that kind of problem.It would be something to look at.
  • Options
    auroragurlauroragurl Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago I purchased the a 98' Aurora V8 4.0. I took it for a test drive and it drove really nice. There is about 99,000 miles on it now and every now and again when I stop at the stop light it stalls out on me. The first time I thought I just might have got some bad gas, but the problem continues...It always starts back up (knock on wood). But i always know when it is getting ready to stall it kind of chugs? or seems like it is not getting enough air...I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter and it still does it. I am moving to the city where there is a lot of stop and go traffic and I need to get this problem fixed!! There are no codes that come up, I have had it to a couple different people to have them run a system check and nothing showed up, just in the history is mentioned recent stalling, but no reasonable explanation of why. If anybody would mind answering back and hopefully help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Also has anybody had the tranny flushed? I know in the owners manual it says to do it at about 100,000 miles and I talked to a guy up the gm dealership and he said that most cars get flushed at 60,000 but my book didn't mention it until 100,000? If anybody has done so have any problems come of doing this?
    THANK YOU I love this car and would really hate to sell it so hopefully my problem will be solved!
  • Options
    mastecutormastecutor Member Posts: 18
    -Regarding the Tranny flush. If it still has a nice beat red color and doesnt look brownish burnt red it's okay. It doesnt hurt to get it changed but beware that the GM gasget is reusable. Be sure a someone who works on GM cars does it for you or do it yourself.

As far as the stalling out. This is common on Olds Auroras. Could be your fuel regulator. If you smell gas in the front hood then it's probably that. 60$ for the part.

One trick you can try is put the car in neutral at a stop. Your rpm's will come up alittle or you can push the rear defost buttom this activates the water pump pulley and the rpm's come up a little. See if it stops stalling.

After testing the above theory out. Change out your PCV value. Very easy to do. Go to any autozone or auto parts store and pick one up for 5-6 bucks. It takes 5 seconds to install it. It's located in the back left under the hood right on top of the engine block.

Finally, pray this is the only problem you have.
  • Options
    I agree with mastecutor's suggestions. I have a 1998 Autobahn delivered 8/97 with close to 107,000 miles.

Someone can correct me on this, but I believe the fuel filter on this car is in the gas tank. The fuel pump is definitely in the tank along with the fuel gauge sender, accessible through an access door on the trunk floor. I wonder how many times your fuel level was driven down to one gallon by previous owner(s)......sucking the dregs off the bottom of the tank and heat stressing the fuel pump that depends on fuel in the tank for keeping it cool. Food for thought if we are talking about a fuel delivery issue.

As far as octane selection, I have burned 87/89/91/93 over nearly 12 years from brand name gasoline companies and have never had a performance or mileage issue......over 106,000+ miles. I'm still on the original ignition system! Have had fuel injection service twice.

My 1998 Aurora owners' manual lists 150,000 miles for the first transmission fluid change under "normal" operating conditions. Less in heat, livery, and towing applications. Nonetheless, I've changed/flushed evry 35,000 miles. The transmission runs like new. at 107,000 miles.

Ya gotta love the car! Keep us posted on your success with this.
  • Options
    boston97boston97 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their 1995 Aurora stalling while driving? This happened to me today, I had no sign it was coming, I was just driving down the road and the car stalled, No lights came on to warn me of a problem, I started the car back up, I got about 3 feet down the road and it stalled again, The car starts fine, But you can't go more than 3 feet now with out stalling, I have 160,000 miles on the car, And have never had a problem like this with the car before..Please, Please, help me!!! Thanks
  • Options
    mastecutormastecutor Member Posts: 18
    Try replacing your PCV valve. Very cheap. You can pick one up at autozone for 5-6 bucks and install it in less than a minute.

Also, turn on your rear-deforster. I.E hit the button this pump the RPMS up a little. If not thse you could have something wrong with your fuel system. I.E clogged fuel filter, bad fuel regulator. Do you smell any gas under the hood. Try the following low end fixes. If not be prepared to pay.
  • Options
    boston97boston97 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your response, I do not smell gas under the hood, But i thought i smelled a carbon smell after i would get the car started buck up, I will try your suggestions..Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply ( i will keep you posted )
  • Options
    jimd604jimd604 Member Posts: 3
    A few months ago my service engine light came on , I had a diagnostics done and needed a new catalytic converter, I had it replaced a few weeks later the light came on again, this time it was the 02 sensor. Last week the light came on again, I took it back to the shop and they had to replace the catalytic converter again (luckily it was still under warranty) I took the car home (drove 3 miles) and light is on. Back to shop again, they replaced the 02 sensor again. Just pulled it in the driveway and guess what, the lights back on. I hate to spend the money by going to a new shop but I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Thermister?
    Can you be more specific? Did you have some associated code?
  • Options
    What codes are you getting?
    How many O2 sensors do you have on your model? (Can be up to four.)
  • Options
    That does seem outrageous!
    Is the Autozone a new or rebuilt?
    It could be that the labor is over-priced. By that I mean the hours listed in book which might show 10 hours but they actually only need 3. Shops use short cuts that are not approved too often. Example, I had an 86 Parisienne with Olds 307 and water pump failed. It had seven belts and much of the brackets/braces for other parts were either attached to the water pump housing or in the way. Upon returning the core it was discovered they did not give me the lifetime pump I had asked for which made me mad because it was near 8 hours to do the job properly. Mechanic in store overheard conversation and sad he could do it in 1 hour. I asked how with all those brackets and parts in the way. Answer, "Simple, just bend them out of the way!" That meant there were a lot of customers out there that had belts running crooked and wearing prematurely.

I'm unsure of the procedure to change on this vehicle, but I think I read somewhere that it involves lowering the sub-frame. Tools for popping the tie rod ends are loanable at Autozone and if you are moderately mechanically inclined this is something you might consider doing yourself.
    Read back a few months and you will see a horror story a lady had when a shop did the job. My suspicion is they screwed up the job and then don't want to be responsible. Possibly overtorqued (bolts then broke or stripped) or left bolts loose resulting in near catrostrophic failure about a year later.
  • Options
    You need to use caution with any aftermarket part, no matter who you get it from.
    Bearings on the idlers were going out and to get at them you pull the front mount and lower to have room. Major effort for me.
    Dealer was outrageous price, and the plastic pulley on the tensioner was only available as an assembly, double ouch! I went to Autozone and picked up aftermarket. They were not available at Pep Boys then. Parts only carried 30 days and a quick look told me why. The seals on the bearings were horrible. Basically they had no seal against the hub of the bearing. Just flat rubber up to it, no feathered edge, no garter spring. So anything such as dust or water would get centrifugally get impelled into the bearing. Pure crap! The ones from NAPA were far superior and just a few dollars more, but they also had a fault with one pulley. Its position on the bearing would not have allowed for changing the belt without disassembly, pulling the front mount again. I solved that by pressing the pulley farther onto the bearing allowing just enough room to slide new belt between it and brackets.
    The low ball can happen anywhere. You just have to make sure you are locked in with the price. And then there is always the uncertainty of whether local independents are using the top quality part. It usually is the same part you can buy at Autozone, PepBoys, Discount Auto, etc. And at twice the price!
  • Options
    It staying on sounds like a problem, maybe not as to starting vehicle though.
    All Data has the charts and procedure for what is going on but I haven't looked recently. Mine has a problem where it sometimes stays on and I get the clean key message when the vehicle interior is hot. I have not yet located the solution. It might be the wiring from ignition to the pass-key box or maybe the box itself.
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I don't know the codes or how many sensors there are. I am not mechanically inclined. This is the feedback i get from the service tech. Do you think I should go to another service station?
  • Options
    karrrazykarrrazy Member Posts: 4
    Had same "exact" problem. My mechanic diagnosed it to be a couple of possiblities. Luckily, I found a shop that removed, checked, and re-installed same converter (under $100) finding it wasn't defective. Took it back to my regular mechanic and he found it was the MAF ( Mass Air Flow) sensor. Charged me around $250, and it has been perfect since Jan 08.
  • Options
    awj33558awj33558 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 aurora the stalling and hard to start problem lead me changing my fuel pressure regulator and it fixed the problem cost $45-65
  • Options
    If it is a 96, it has four sensors. One each for left bank, right bank, pre-converter, and aft converter. The left and right monitor each bank of cylinders for proper air fuel mix. The pre-converter monitors both, but also is used as a comparison against the aft converter to make sure the converter is doing the job.
    If you knew the exact codes, troubleshooting charts are available to diagnose problem. Almost all codes have a few pre-checks to make sure the computer is diagnosing correctly the code, such as vacuum leaks, or the presence of other codes which it will then show you the proper one to start fixing first.

Did you actually talk to the mechanic or was it the guy in charge. I hate when you get the in-between guy. Truth is often obscured. GM made a bad decision in closing dealerships, in my opinion. Worse than bankruptcy.

Hate to see you paying for unnecessary parts. Current guy will likely say it is different problem and without you knowing, you are likely stuck, bleeding money.

I think I would go to another shop, but tell them to diagnose only and then go from there. Knowing what is currently wrong may give you some leverage against the first guy if the diagnosis leads to pre-conditions for what parts he changed. After the diagnosis, then tell them what work was previously done to see if their diagnosis changes. They likely will spot previous work though.

Good luck.
  • Options
    karrrazykarrrazy Member Posts: 4
    I recently discovered this "Aurora lovers dream site" and have spent the last few days reading and sometimes scanning all of the posts from day one!! You all have great info/experience and it is greatly appreciated in helping to keep our "little known treasures" on the road. Hope I can be a help whenever I can.
    By the way, mine is a 98 with 62,000 miles and everyone who drives in it asks what it is or comments on how well appointed and comfortable it is.
    Does anyone know where to get a small deck lid spoiler that would flush mount at the very edge just above the center red plastic panel?
    Thanks everyone for keeping this place going.
    p.s. I also own a 96 SHO...I guess I just love those orphans!
  • Options
    Well, I took it to another shop and the code is po 143 (shorted wire or ecm) They said I need a new computer and the dealer will have to flash it. Make sense? I don't know what to do. In the meantime, the car drives great.
  • Options
    Codes can vary between make and model to some degree although they were supposed to become standardized with OBDII.
    http://www.blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=210550
    Take a look at that link which gives a different meaning related to the sensor. Was that the only code? Autozone will check them for free.
    I need to renew my AllData or I would check it for you.
    It could possibly make sense, the new computer. Is that the sensor they already replaced:? Was it a GM? I checked many at local parts stores and they did not have a many fluted on the sensor possibly slowing sensing.
    There are multiple O2 heater fuses as I recall. (you would likely get another code if the heater was not working. There are maybe 6 or 8 codes for each sensor)
    Was the wiring verified? Dirt or debris cleaned from connector before the new one was plugged?
    Usually there will be some indication such as hesitation, stumble, etc. with a bad circuit. Maybe the computer is smart enough to use data from the other bank collectively with the last two sensors.
    If you are at all mechanically inclined I would recommend getting All Data subscription.
  • Options
    I have a 97. The interior lights went out. Door locks do not work and chimes do not
    work now. All the fuses are good , is there a breaker for these?Or do I have a different problem.Can a dealer find a bad wire?
    Really need some help.
  • Options
    brinwoodbrinwood Member Posts: 32
    Have 130K on my 97. Still original AT fluid. Count-down display still shows 100%.
    I hate to fix something if it ain't broke.......
    Has anyone run into this before me?
  • Options
    txshadow12txshadow12 Member Posts: 10
    Have a '98 with same situation. That function has not worked (rest of auto is 100% functional) since day one. After conferring with multiple mechanics, all agreed with ignoring the readout and change fluid according to mfg's recommendations. Just don't do a flush; change AT fluid and filter only after you're at > 75,000 miles.
  • Options
    My 1998 is the same......100% on the transmission fluid life since new. I am fairly certain the owners' manual scheduled maintenance lists 150,000 miles as the first change under "normal" driving conditions.