Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    ...has made it clear that they aren't competing in the my dad can beat up your dad game of HP. I think the early press on this car is an indication that the magazines may get enthused about Mazda again. Not since the old 4 wheel steering turbo 626 has that line had any attention. If it's the driver's car that Mazda says it is, it could be the answer.

Of course, it will never sell like the accord because more people want what they perceive as a box to get them from A to B reliably, but those that like to drive may pass up on a VW or Acura for the 6

My $0.02
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    The Mazda 6 will never "overshadow a more powerful Accord", the best selling car of 2001, but it will give open-minded consumers another alternative and give Mazda a fighting chance in the competitive sedan market.
    Also, Honda may also give their more powerful Accord version better handling too, but if the 6 lives up to the hype, Mazda's should be better.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I meant in the press. Yes the 6, or any Mazda, would be -very- hard pressed to outsell the Accord, but it doesn't need to. Hopefully Mazda will return to making a living in its own little corner of the automotive world by continuing to bring more real "zoom-zoom" back into its line-up. Recent introductions (P5, MP3, for example), as well as the press kit for the new 6 and RX8, suggest that there is hope!
  • Rich, do you know whether there will be a sport model of the sedan? One 6 at the Detroit show had 17in. wheels and a spoiler and looked pretty good even though I don't like spoilers.

Any info on the interiors? Two tones? or Interesting colors? It gets pretty boring when you can get any color interior you want in a car as long as it's gray or beige.

Looked at the Mini at the Detroi show and saw that it's available with bright red interior. It would be nice if there was a little more color on the inside of cars. Funny how all the concept cars have these wild color interiors that never make it to production. Sometimes I wonder why they bother.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They are discounting Altimas now, though. Plus $30k means it has HIDs, leather, moonroof, and probably even the plood kit. You can get a V6 for $23-25k easily.

The 6 has to priced carefully. I'd like to see the V6 MSRP from $22-25k.

-juice
  • ickesickes Posts: 82
    Honda doesn't appear to be shrinking away from the challenge posed by the Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima. Temple of VTEC has the '03 Accord listed with 2.4l 4cyl and 3.2l V-6 capable of 170hp and 225hp for the V-6. The V-6 is the same one from the Acura TL/MDX and Honda Odessey, so it is potentially cabable of 240hp. Also, it appears that a 5spd. Auto will be offered on the V-6, but Honda does have a 6spd. manual (Acura CL Type-S)that could be added to a "Type-R" model.

One advantage of the more conservative design used by Honda is that their cars have longer design appeal. The Pilot is troubling however, in that it appears really old. In the past, Honda's conservative designs at least looked current, if not slightly progressive in the case of the MDX.

My concern would be that the "6" may looked dated fast, especially those stupid "slammer" taillights. Perhaps in a Bizarro World moment there will be an aftermarket set of "normal" taillight lenses.

I dunno. I'm not buying until after each has been out for almost a year, so I'll have time to really consider each.
    No mater how dated the 6 gets, it's bore factor couldn't approach the Accord.
    The Pilot does look extremely plain, but people will line up to buy those.

225hp for the Accord? Depending on the weight of the 6, it could still be quicker. Also, Honda hasn't offered manuals for the V6 Accords.

-juice
    They haven't offered V6/manuals in the past. However, given the competition from the Altima and "6", I could see it happening. I could really see it for a Type-R model, as Temple of VTEC suggests will be offered. This isn't that big of a strech since they already have the transmission in the parts bin for this V-6, currently offered on the Acura CL Type-s.
    I still think Mazda can compete by offering better value. No doubt the Accord's price will go up, and probably match the Camry. So a loaded one will approach $30k. Mazda's pricing strategy will be key.

-juice
  • My buddy, whos family has nothing but Hondas, swears that you can get an Accord V6 coupe with a manual. In fact, he plans to buy one early next year. I guess hes in for a surprise when he talks to his salesman...
    why would Type-R go on anything but an Acura? Sounds like that be plain stupid marketing on their part.

Honda will need to trash that designation if the proliferation in the aftermarket gets any worse.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    There has been a mention of a 6 speed manual available for the CL Type S in both magazines and in the forums, BUT I find no mention of this tranny on Acura's website nor Edmund's. What gives? Is this tranny really available or hasn't come out yet? More then likely the 03 Accord will get a version of the 225 horse 3.2 V-6 from the TL, not the 240 horse 3.5 from the MDX and Odyssey. There is a chance the 6 will actually beat the Accord horsepower wise for once.
    The CL is finally getting a manual, but the Accord V6 doesn't have one yet.

Also, Acura is now using the "Type S" label, so that leaves "Type R" for Honda to use if it pleases.

-juice
    Accord power: I don't see the accord v6 getting more than the standard 225 hp from the 3.2. Yes, the tl and cl type s boost the 3.2 to 240 hp, but Honda wouldn't want the accord to step on the toes of the upscale auras.

type r: word is the RSX will come out in a type r version. A type r Honda civic and honda accord already exist in other parts of the globe - check out honda's british web site. The british type r is powered by a pumped up inline four and features some suspension and brake upgrades.

If the 6 is anything close to what mazda says it is (this has yet to be seen, but I have hope that it will at least come close - PR folks always make every model sound better than actually turn out to be) it should easily be able to compete for my money with the others in its class.
    260hp for the Type S, actually. You may be thinking Altima, which has 240.

The Euro Accord is different than ours. In fact, the Civic Si we're getting in based on the Euro Civic.

-juice
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    The Civic Si for 2002 is coming from Britain, not Japan or Ohio. I wonder how well built these are compared to these other sites.

Back to topic: I hope that the 6 comes in the fall and not an "indefinite date".
    Someone asked about a sports package for the 6. According to the info on mazda's us web site (www.mazdausa.com), the 6 will come with optional 17 inch wheels shod with 215/50 tires. Check out some of the specs on mazda's NAIAS pages.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    The RSX is already available in Type-R format...but only in Japan.

OK, back to the topic...
    For my wife, I'd pick 16" wheels. 215/50 is too low a profile for a tolerable ride (in her eyes). I think a 215/55R16 would be more than adequate.

-juice
    The standard wheel, tire combo whill be 205/60R16s.

Mazda doesn't list vehicle weight on the page where I got these wheel/tire figures. Has anybody seen any info on curb weights for the various 6 models/configurations?
    205/60 is still OK, plus you could do a Plus Zero.

-juice
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The latest release info from Mazda on the Mazda 6....

Late Nov 2002.

Rich
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    "No matter how dated the 6 gets, it's bore factor couldn't approach the Accord"

somebody has it backwards. despite being in its last year, the accord is still highly competitive (i'm not talking in terms of sales either). The accord's interior as it is right now is better than the current camry and altima. i'm actually hoping that mazda hits a homerun with the new 6. i was disappointed with the new camry and altima. i plan on getting a new car later this year and my choices right now is another jetta or 2003 accord. i know what i'll get with the jetta, but i'm waiting to see what the new models from honda and mazda bring. my concern with the new mazda is its affilation with ford. will the neccesary resources for the new mazda be forthcoming from ford? yes, this car is critical for mazda. this is the car that needs to bring home the bacon for maxda, not the smaller economy car protege. the new 6 has lots of room for improvement and it looks like it will be much improved.
    Accord did win the sales race.

But they're guilty of some cost cutting (so is Mazda for the last 626). It'll be interesting to see the content level on the new 6 vs. the new Accord.

I'm talking mouse-fur headliners, thin carpets, sun visors, gooseneck hinges for the trunk, prop-rods for the hood, stuff like that. Note that the Korean competition has started to address these issues.

-juice
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    i can't speak for the 626, but the last accord had a vinyl headliner and always had a prop rod for the hood for 4 cylinder models. it did lose the gooseneck hinges however. overall, the accord made a big leap from the previous model. Honda know accord owners won't put up with any cost cutting. for example, the 98 accord didn't have break away mirrors. after a big uproar, honda put the break away mirrors back onto the accord the following year. something the new altima or camry don't have.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Honda knows they better get it right to stay in the game. I remember back in late 1997 when the 1998 Accord debuted, it had some very cheap looking cloth(as cheap as the new Altimas), and it had a pattern like the cloth found in the Pontiac Grand Prix. Actually back in 1998 all trims with cloth seats shared the same pattern and design. I think that is cheap. The higher the trimline, the better the cloth or leather should get IMO. Nissan does the same thing now with the new Altima. As mentioned earlier, it didn't have breakaway mirrors. By 1999, all these things had been changed. Only the new Accord DX has the cheap looking cloth. The LX models have upgraded cloth, while the EX models get "suede" like material. That's they way it should be IMO. Now people wonder just how I can tell the difference between the 1998 and 1999 Accords. My aunt drives a 1998, and she honestly couldn't tell the difference between the 1998 and the 1999 when she brought her Accord earlier this year. And she is a salesperson at the dealership. I also think that Honda will learn from the new Cr-V, which has some seriously hard plastics. Their best bet is to just leave the interior alone, and let it stay the way it is, or use some seriously good plastics. I mean, this is some serious money that people spend on cars, I will not be driving a new car with a cheap interior. Not with my hard earned money! No sir!

BTW,from the video I saw on the new Mazda 6 at the mazdausa.com website, it looks like the new 6 will have some nice interior materials, they look better than the ones found in the new Altima. The only thing I can say that I don't like is the center console with all the metallic trim. I really like the seats though, plus the rear outboard passenger seats have adjustable headrests! Something I wish the new Altima had. How much does it really cost to have adjustable rear headrest? They can't cost much, can they?!?!?
    The cost cutting on the previous generation Camry and current Accord was due to high Yen to Dollar exchange rates. Note that Toyota has re-contented the Camry for 2002, and we can probably expect the same for the '03 Accord. The new "6" looks rich on content, while it will likely command a lower price than Accord/Camry.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    You said the new Accord will approach $30K. Honda usually raises prices 1 or 2% with a new model intro. That would bring the MSRP to a little over $26K. To be close to $30K the price would have to go up by over 16%----never will happen. And don't forget the top of the line Accord has no options (or very few) unlike the Camry, which is why that vehicle approaches $30K. Don't scare people away from a vehicle that isn't even out by overinflating the price. Now if it were Subaru....j/k.