Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

F150 Super Crew Cab

Comments

• Options
    klloydklloyd Member Posts: 26
    Hesmer,

My dealer in Houston, said it normally takes two to three weeks to get vehicles once they are built. I would assume the same for you. Might depend on the number of vehicles going that direction etc.

Also, Feb. 7 is a Monday. Most of the time they say built the "week of the 7th" which could mean it is built as late as the the 13th. So hopefully a "worst case" is 3 weeks from the 11th or March 3rd.

Congrats and Good Luck. By the way when did you order your truck?
  • Options
    hesmerhesmer Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for that info, hope you're wrong about the 13th though. Ordered my truck late Dec.
  • Options
    mjohnmjohn Member Posts: 38
    Talked to the dealer this morning and no sign of my supercrew yet. All he can say is it has been released from the factory but has no details on when it will arrive even though the original ETA was Jan 31st. I think the recent ice and snow storm may have backed it up a bit. I have not spotted one yet in any of the dealerships. I'll let you know when it arrives. MJohn
  • Options
    whalercatwhalercat Member Posts: 40
    It's weird ordering a truck you've never seen in person. Just called the VOPC--scheduled to be built this week-2001 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4, Lariat, Captains Chairs, 5.4, 3.55 LS, Cab Steps, Sliding Rear Window, Trailer Tow Group, CD Changer, Black/Gold with Tan Leather--Priced at invoice 30,156 including gas, ad fee, delivery.
  • Options
    astaasta Member Posts: 122
    You know, I'm amazed to read so many posts by people ordering a vehicle sight unseen, without test driving it. I guess because it's an F150 the highest selling vehicle in America for 19 straight years! I know these things are popular, but this is a first in my experience of car buying. I'm waiting until they hit the dealerships so I can try the ride out myself. I tested the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and loved it, although it is a smaller truck then the F150 supercrew, the bed is the same length (5 1/2 feet) The Ford's cab is bigger, the vehicle itself is taller and wider. I'm itching to drive one of these supercrews and see how it goes. I did read a mildly negative review on one of the car sites - I think it was Kelly Blue Book or Cars.com.
    Whoever gets their supercrew first, please post your experiences ASAP so we can see if ordering something sight unseen pays off. Built Ford tough???? Who knows...
  • Options
    Re: sight unseen: I have driven several new F-150 supercabs in short and long beds. The supercrew will not drive much different.

I called the VOPC this am--my truck has been released from the "foreign plant". What the heck are they talking about? The trucks are being built in Kansas City per Edmunds. Does anyone know anything about this?
  • Options
    woody24woody24 Member Posts: 59
    I would think anybody considering buying one of these, go for it. You should still be able to negotiate a decent price. At this point, they will probably be in the show rooms before yours comes in. If you order without putting anything down, there isn't any risk. Just go test drive one, if you don't like it cancel the order. As long as you don't order anything too out of the ordinary, Ford will be able to sell it no problem. Food for thought.
  • Options
    MJohn,

I just knew I would see you driving around the Dallas Metroplex this past weekend in that brand new SuperCrew after picking it up late Friday.

Unfortunately, I never saw you. I am anxious for you to get yours because it seems yours was scheduled to be in 1 week before mine. I would really like to get mine this weekend. Still holding out hope. VOPC hasn't changed and says mine has been delivered to the convoy carrier. Hopefully once it is put on convoy carrier it does not take long to get it to the dealer. I haven't seen any at the dealers yet either.

Thanks for any update.
  • Options
    Kevin, still no sign of my Supercrew. Talked to the dealer last week and he said he didn't show it had been shipped out yet. I tried the VOPC this morning and the system is down. Hope it is on the same arrival truck as yours since we are both metroplex. You may get yours first. I'll let you know. MJohn
  • Options
    how are you guys holding up? I've still got some time, about 4-5 weeks, before mine comes in. I would imagine when I get as close as you two, I'll be climbing the walls.
  • Options
    I personally have a thought that since it is a new model that it is being put on parade on it's way down from Kansas City at every dealer it passes. I will really pay attention to wear and tear and miles when it comes in. MJohn
  • Options
    Yeah it is getting tough to wait, but like I said in an earlier post I have been waiting for this truck to come out since March 1999, so a few more days shouldn't make that much difference.

Mike, you may be right about the parade. Ford may want a sizeable inventory of trucks before they hit the streets to try to meet as much demand as possible. I saw the following post on the message boards for F150 SuperCrew in F150 online. I think this guy is in South Dakota and works for a dealership there.

"Our first one was dropped off this morning (Sunday 2/6/00). We're 400 miles from the Kansas City assembly plant so your dealer should start seeing some real soon. No sticker on vehicle so Ford has not released for sale as of yet.
    Added in Edit: Sticker and invoice received in mail this morning (Monday 2/7/00). Ford must have authorized pre-sell upon receipt."

I am not sure what pre-sell means but at least it sounds like at least one got to a dealership.

I am going to call my dealer today and see if he knows anything new.

Kevin
  • Options
    clshaw17clshaw17 Member Posts: 12
    I just found out that mine will be built the week of Mar 6th. Any idea how long it will take to get to the dealer? I called my dealer the same day I called VOPC and the dealer did not know anything. So don't depend on the dealer to give you your info. Call the VOPC, the number and instructions were posted early on this thread.

If anybody has a good idea how long it takes from build date please respond. Thanks
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
  • Options
    Great article.
  • Options
    crawfish2crawfish2 Member Posts: 5
    For those of you very familiar with VOPC I need your help. I called VOPC yesterday, gave my dealer #, selected the VIN mode to get a build date. Well I entered the first 2 digits(1F) of my vehicle number (1FTRWO8...) it said that the vehicle could not be found. My dealer said that the truck was due to the dealership on Feb. 28. I guess my question is what are the first 2 vehicle digits to my truck.
    Thanks in advance,
    Warren B.
  • Options
    Hey guys here is the response from the Ford dealer in South Dakota after I asked him if they were in fact receiving the SuperCrews. As you will read it is still confusing.

"Klloyd -- Super Crews are being shipped to dealers. They are available for sale or delivery upon receipt (assuming dealer has received the Certificate of Origin and a priced window sticker). Approximately 3,000 Super Crews are assembled and awaiting shipping approval. They are being stored at an offsite storage site near the Kansas City Assembly Plant.
    Our first one is a 4x4 XLT with the 5.4 and standard 16" wheels. Fit and finish appear to be excellent."

So are they shipping them or holding them at off-site storage awaiting shipping approval? Does sound like they got one that they can sell.

With not much else to do during lunch yesterday, I called several Dallas Ford dealers (talked with fleet sales) and none of them have gotten any in yet, but several said they expected them in any day.

Warren I have always used option 2 in VOPC even though I have a VIN for my truck. Too many letters in the VIN number. Option 2 lets you put year model (2001), Body Code (9107 for 4X2, 9108 for 4X4) and order number (mine is a 4 digit number) and get the information. Hopefully this helps.

I did get a different message on VOPC this morning. It said my truck has been shipped by the convoy carrier. It had been saying that it is awaiting shipment by the carrier. Hopefully this means it is truly on the way.
  • Options
    Just checked my VOPC this morning. It was updated and said that my vehicle was released to the convoy carrier awaiting shipment. KLoyd let us know when you get yours. Looks like you are first. MJohn
  • Options
    Just went by my dealer and saw a Cooper Transport truck from Kansas city off-loading vehicles, no Supercrews. I asked him about the process and he said that once your vehicle is released to a carrier that it should take about a week to arrive. Once your vehicle is on the carrier it should only take a day or two. MJohn
  • Options
    bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    My contact in the Fleet Dept at Courtesy Ford in Denver says you probably won't see too many for a while. They don't expect any for quite awhile and have several on order. When Ford comes out with a new model they traditioanlly build several thousand before releasing, so they can get them to all of the dealers about the same time ,and there are 7,000 Ford dealers. He said a few my escape the holding area early, but not too many. For you that are waiting, hope yours escape early!! Good Luck
  • Options
    Fairway Ford in Augusta, GA has 2 of them already--I drove one of them today. Very nice ride, fit and finish superb, only complaint-seats are too soft-I am used to imports and that is a problem with almost all American vehicles. Mine has also been released from the factory. Back seating area is noticeably smaller than a Superduty CC, but adequate for most people.
  • Options
    themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Have driven them both - bought the Dakota already (Christmas Eve). Comparison is a misnomer here. The Dakota Quad is a sport utility pickup. The Ford is a utility truck, period. The Dakota wins hands down for average sized people (over 6'2 or 'wide in the belt' is a bit tight), doing normal things on a daily basis. It does everything well - for me - and probably for a big bunch of the sport & pickup segment of the market. If you like speed, agility and parking quickly in tight spaces - with a little less mpg than a 'compact,' the DQC will keep you smiling (and at the gas pump). I don't regret my decision to buy the little Quad at all. Most impressive pickup to come down the road in a while for us smaller use-it-for-everything-types;

EXCEPT, MOST larger towing jobs, ANY serious cross country trips with more than 2 adults (couple of kids in the Ford or the DQC is fine), hauling plywood or sheetrock, any daily commuting over rough-on-the-shocks dirt roads for any distance. Or anyone, and I mean ANYONE larger than normal stature. And the Auto-transmission. These areas the SuperCrew wins going away - by a large margin.

The SuperCrew - notice you don't have to differentiate that NAME with / from anything else. Brilliant marketing by Ford. This truck rides higher, 'bigger' - with much more presence than the smaller Dakota. Almost every dimension, except rear seat room, which seems about the same (except for width), is larger and 'feels' even bigger than that while driving. Feels like it could tow anything (maybe it can). 'Feels' like it sucks gas like a Jet, yet it doesn't. And has a (little) tougher time negotiating the twisties - steering input is WAY too quick for me. But that's OK - that's not its niche. It's the Dakota's and there lies the absolute difference in these two trucks. They are for slightly different market segments - and will not take more than 1 or 2% away from each other's sales. The DQC feels (and runs) like my Porsche 928S with four doors and a (real) trunk, the SuperCrew feels (and runs) like my dad's Lincoln Town Car (albeit a little firmer / better) with a HUGE trunk and COMMAND seating. Very nice.

By the way, the SuperCrew is ALL OVER W. TX. I've driven both a white over tan and a black over tan in the last week. I've seen several more. Both that I drove had cloth captain's chairs - that were incredibly supportive compared to the DQC, just a weird 'box pattern' on the cloth. Real door trim which the DQC doesn't have. And a nice $27k+ (sticker price) - only $3k more than my Black DQC Sport. My only real complaints about the SuperCrew is the bed and step-in heights (taller than I could get used to) and the anemic (compared to the Quad's 4.7) 5.4 engine. Of course that goes back to the basic Sport vs. Truck thing at the start...

If you think you'll be happy with either one, drive both - as much as you can. You will find the winner with the drive. Whichever suits you best. I drove the Nissan Crew Cab for an hour, too. Its market segment is more youthful than my age 40 body could ever get used to. But if I was 20 and in college or near a beach - whoa, dude! By the way, I've always been a Chevy guy. Go figure. :-))
  • Options
    tallmantallman Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the honest comparison.
  • Options
    karmannghiakarmannghia Member Posts: 5
    I am planning to the 2001 F150 Crew Cab. What is the best deal anyone have gotten in Atlanta or near the vicinity?
  • Options
    I've been calling the vopc 800 number and it cuts me off, just after I enter all my info. Anybody else having this problem? clshaw17 I thought you ordered your truck before me. I have a feb 21 build date, how did you end up with a mar 6.
  • Options
    Woody, checked my status last night and it worked okay. They had actually updated it last week and said my supercrew was shipped Feb 6th. One week ago. No sign yet. My wife says I am stalking the dealership, driving by everyday. I am getting very a bit frustrated. According to the VOPC my truck was built a month ago and released from the factory. It took them 3 weeks to ship it out and now it has been over a week arriving. Somehow I do not have the big picture. MJohn
  • Options
    I believe I read somewhere, Edmunds or F150online, that Ford is going to build up a surplus before sending out the new trucks. I believe yours will be here soon, it probably was buried in a sea of supercrews. Please give us a mini review when you, or klloyd, get yours in. I went to my dealer and picked up a brochure for the supercrew. They only started carrying them. Its a fold out type with a decent poster on the inside. Seems odd that Ford isn't promoting the heck out of these things. At least I havn't seen any advertisements. Anyways keep the updates coming guys.
  • Options
    Still no word on mine either, mjohn. However, I did see the first one in Dallas on Friday Evening. It was at Leadership Ford, a dealership I drive by everyday to / from work. I stopped in to take a look at it and it looked really good. Black 4X4 two tone gold Lariat - very nice truck. Anyway the salesman comes out to get me to quit drooling all over it and tells me it is already sold. No surprise here. However, upon further quizzing he tells me that the truck is the personal vehicle for the General Manager at Leadership and that he has been pushing very hard to get it delivered. So needless to say they would not let me drive it. Oh well a few more days and I can drive my own. Salesman did say they would start getting some this week.

Incidentally, Leadership Ford also has one of the new Explorer Sport Tracs. I guess I am just a full size truck kinda guy. Looks nice but just not for me.

klloyd
  • Options
    I also saw a new sport track at Prestige and it does look different. I drive a 91 explorer and had considered the sport track but am glad now I did't go for it. The back bed would be good for going to the grocery store and that's about it. Not big enough. MJohn
  • Options
    Talked to my Ford guy this morning. He looked up my supercrew on his computer and said it shows that it is on it's way to the Kansas City mixing center where it, evidently, will be added to other Fords from around the nation enroute to my dealer. So even though the VOPC said it was shipped by contract courier, this does not mean it is on the way. It has to wait at this mixing center for other vehicles to arrive going to my dealer. He said this mixing center concept was done to speed up the process and then he laughed. Anyway the new ETA is 21 Feb. MJohn
  • Options
    Well I got the call this morning, Feb. 16, that my truck is at the dealership. Remember that my truck is in Houston and I am in Dallas, seemed like a good idea at the time to save a few hundred bucks. Of course as luck would have it I have got meetings this afternoon and tomorrow morning so the soonest I will be driving it is Thursday Evening but could be as late as Friday Morning.

MJohn, you'll probably take ownership of yours before I do. Oh well at least I am counting hours now and not days.

Should be a great weekend.
  • Options
    Congrats KLoyd. It has been a long wait. I am just hoping now to get mine next week. MJohn
  • Options
    It's been a long wait. Klloyd I have this fear, when I go to pick up the truck. My fear is this, when I get there they may try to add extra items and dangle the truck like a carrot in front of me. If you could let us know how the final negotiations go, I would be grateful. Enjoy your weekend, How about a mini review Monday. A lot of people are watching. Later
  • Options
    hesmerhesmer Member Posts: 7
    This is my first truck and the ETA is "week of feb 26"....Now that I've ordered it, I'm second guessing as to whether I should have gotten the 5.4 L engine. Is the 4.6 adequate power? I was trying to save a little on MPG and I don't anticipate towing much, but still don't want the truck to drive like it's underpowered. I saw where the Dodge Dakota Quad-cab has a 4.7L engine: what the hell is that about? That truck looks to be half the size of the Supercrew. Is it suppose to be part roadster or what?

Also, I saw a write-up somewhere that mentioned rear HVAC controls in the Supercrew but nothing else I've seen makes mention of this.

Info is appreciated.
  • Options
    Congrats klloyd, i've still got a two week wait maybe more but now i know that they put the sticker on the window and they're letting them off the lot. Can't wait for the review on monday.
    Warren B.
  • Options
    bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    The Dakota is billed as a compact truck, by J.D Poweres if I remember correctly i.e. compare to Ranger, the F-150 is a full sized truck
  • Options
    for the kind words. If I get a chance I will post something Friday Evening once I return home.

Woody, you got me thinking now. Although I really doubt they will put anything over on me at this point. All of the banking stuff is taken care of so it really is a matter of signing registration/title work, grab the keys and run. They have drafting instructions from my bank for the exact agreed upon price of the truck. Changing that would be a real pain now. Anything they try to add on would come out of my pocket and that is an easy no for me at this point. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hesmer,

I am fairly certain there are not any rear HVAC controls on the SuperCrew. I remember reading somewhere that they put those on the Expedition because of the 3rd seat but for just two seats it was unnecessary and a rear system also drains power for other things.

As for the 4.6L, try driving a f150 supercab auto with 4.6L or even an expedition (I think you can get 4.6 there also). Those vehicles shouldn't drive too differently than the supercrew. As long as your vehicle isn't "locked down" for production you can make changes to your order.

There is a review in Kelly Blue Book where they drove a 4.6l and did not say anthing about it being under powered. See Ford reviews at

www.kbb.com

Talk to you soon.
  • Options
    Mine is at the dealer, who will deliver it to me on Monday, black over gold Lariat 4x4, loaded, 5.4. I will post again Monday to give you all a report on it.

Dale
  • Options
    Called the vopc, and got a eta of Mar 6. Talked to one of the sales guys at my dealer, and he said he expects one in tomorrow. Just might have to go over and take it for a test drive. I may finally get a chance to, at least, sit in one.
  • Options
    My dealer says that my truck will be at the dealership Feb.28. I've called VOPC and my truck is not even in the system. The dealer said i'm putting in the wrong information. The information i used was the following:(dealer code F23009, used 23009,year 2001, body code W08, used 9108, dealer order # S024,used 7024). Could someone tell me if i'm entering the right information. Thanks in advance,
    Warren B.
  • Options
    Your problem is the order number S024. For the S you put in 73 which, if you look at the key on your phone, the 7 tells the computer you want either P R or S and the 3 you punch in tells the computer you want the third number which is S. So to check your order you would put in 73024#. Good Luck. MJohn. ( Still no sign of my Supercab)
  • Options
    tphoosiertphoosier Member Posts: 1
    Anybody find a Cincinnati area dealer who is offering a decent deal on new Super Crew orders? I'm ready to go!
  • Options
    Well this morning I started calling around Atlanta Ford Dealers and found one that had 3 F150 Crew Cab on the lot. I test drive both the 2X4 and 4X4 lariats. I currently have a 1999 F250 SD crew cab lariat V10 4X4. The reason why I went to look at the F150 Crew Cab was because I am planning to trade the F250 SD in for something smaller. I am 5'8" and my gf is only 5'1". She refuses to drive the F250 :(.

My impressions on the test drive of the F150 are as follow.(note: I am not a professional nor claim to be a professional driver) Both the lariats are equiped with 5.8 Liter, the acceleration was not as smooth as my V10 naturally but I was hoping comparable since the F150's were smaller. The rides in the 2X4 F150 was not as smooth as the 4X4 F150(possibly tires according to the salesman)I can't understand why, because 4X4 suppose to have a stiffer suspension. The ride of the F150 4X4 feels a little flimpsy comparing to my F250 SD (possibly stiffer frame in the F250SD). The F150 was very nimble and easily maneuvered. I managed to make severals U turn and park both vehicles without a problem. Please do not misunderstand that I am trying to push for the F250 SD. My impressions were mainly subjective. Maybe I did not get to drive the F150 crew cab long enough to qualify this assessments so I welcome all others, hopefully test drive both the F150 and the F250 SD. Either way I am still selling my F250 SD because of the 10 months I own the vehicle, I have only put 5k miles on it.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I had to take a few minutes to tell you about the truck. Before I give you my thoughts let me tell you that the vehicle I have been driving was a 77 Surburban. Very long story as to why and won't bore, but needless to say that driving a new Hyndai would have been a significant step up.

Just for review, I got a 4X2 Lariat Bright Red w/ two tone harvest gold, 5.4 L, Limited Slip, Cab Steps, 6 Disk CD, and Towing Package. I showed up at the dealership early Friday Morning and they had it on the middle of the Showroom floor. That was really cool. It was love at first site.

Drove around Houston for little while with my buddy and then headed for Dallas. Only break in now days is try to vary speeds frequently, so I would drive 50 mph then 70, few construction sites drop to 20 to 30 and several stops later I was home.

I throughly enjoyed the ride. Felt like the quickest trip I ever made to Houston. I would agree with Karmanmghia that I thought the ride would be a little smoother than it was but it is a truck. I have ridden in my brother in laws 2000 SD 250 4X4 and I think the SuperCrew was much smoother than that. Drove through a terrible rain storm, couldn't even see the road but truck handled it great. Never even felt different. Also drove the whole time into a very stiff wind. I did not check mileage sorry, doing that on this tank.

While overall everything was great, there are a couple of little concerns. First is a wind noise at 70 to 75 mph. Again this occured only when the wind was really gusting which could make it difficult for service shop to fix. Second there are a couple of places on lip of door that paint was not complete. This should be an easy fix and is not noticeable unless really looking for it. I just don't want rust problems years down the road.

Oh and my wife really likes it. She drove it last night when I got home. She said she thought it drove really smoothly. She drives a Dodge Caravan. She thought interior was great and very roomy. Maybe arm wrestling her for the keys. She is definitely not a truck person so I thought this was good. I can get both van and truck in garage but doesn't leave a lot of storage space.

Neighbors were also impressed with room inside and felt bed was plenty big enough for city folks.

Woody, My dealership was great. Paperwork was 5 minutes tops. A salesman did a walk through which took 30 to 45 minutes showing me how things work. That was it. For you Houston Folks, Tommie Vaughn Ford was really great.

You guys hang in there. It was definitely worth the wait. If your like me your gonna love it.

Gotta go cruisin!
  • Options
    how much do you want for your SD CC 4x4 Lariat?. Is yours the one with the grill guard? What kind of mileage are you getting with the V10?
  • Options
    bill1064bill1064 Member Posts: 4
    Just ordered a 5.4L, 4x4,cab steps, towing package, bright red with silver two tone, captain's chairs and 3.55 limited slip differential. Couldn't find a great deal in southern Virginia, but finally settled on $500 over invoice...couldn't wait any longer.

Has anyone found a topper shell or company that produces for the F150 Super Crew yet? I want a fiberglass that is cab height. Haven't found a site on web yet that lists any?

Would appreciate any help you can give.
  • Options
    Gas mileages on my V10 F250 SD crew cab lariat are 12 mpg city and 14 mpg highway. I am asking $29990. And yes, it has grill guard and Borla 100 percent Stainless Steel dual exhausts. I am not trying to sell this truck on here, my apologies. Any questions please forward to ghia@access1.net
  • Options
    ampb5ampb5 Member Posts: 4
    I take it that the VOPC is an automated order status device. I'm waiting for a 00, 150 sc and am interested in the production date. Would one of you be kind enough to relay the number for me. Thanks
  • Options
    dcddcd Member Posts: 25
    FYI - the VOPC thing is for dealers only...Ford has already threatened to sue another site (ford-diesel.com) because users were posting its phone number, etc.
  • Options
    2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    The Dakota design concept was a down-sized full-sized pickup in response to the high gas prices during the 1980's. The truck was designed to offer all of the available V8 engines, including the 4.7L, 5.2L and the 5.9L, within a package sized large enough to haul the "4x8 sheet of plywood" within the box. Fortunately, falling gas prices did not kill off the full-sized consumer market and left the Dakota as the sole "mid-sized" truck on the market until the advent of the Toyota T100/Tundra.
This discussion has been closed.