Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• concertkeyconcertkey Posts: 59
    I posted my buying experience with the SE V6 back on May 16, message #3036, I believe. I ordered the car from Caldwell Toyota (NJ) for approx. $50.00 over invoice. According to the dealership, the car was slated to be built today and should arrive in mid-to-late June. This car may be in short supply, but you can still order one through the Internet manager. I would be interested in knowing if the dealership quoted the same price to anyone reading this. The list on the car is $30,300.00. The purchase price is $26,838.00. :D
  • jaydolljaydoll Posts: 120
    Why settle for $19250, or even $18,900. Listen up, you are paying to much.
  • zaku178zaku178 Posts: 15
    Hey concertkey, I got a similar pricing to yours. Thanks a lot, you're the best man!!
  • tweliyingtweliying Posts: 23
    I just made deal today. Here is the detail:

2007 Camry SE 4-cyl
    FE EJ AS RF SR CF
    MSRP $24,709
    Dealer invoice $22,144
    Price I paid $22,244 plus 6.5% MN sales tax and $328 title/registration/doc fee

comments welcome :)
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    Any Canadian members here?
    Looking at a V6 LE What did Canadians pay for this model + LE B package..
    Thanks
  • blindmantooblindmantoo Posts: 139
    Something's wrong w/ the dates... My dealer assurred me that they usually receive their cars within ten days of the build date. Mine is due to be built on June 5th and they expect it by mid June. NJ isn't that much further from KY than Columbus,OH - unless it's the regional distribution that slows down the process in NJ. You should ask why it's taking that long to arrive.
  • eric2006eric2006 Posts: 7
    Jaydoll
    I know you got a great price. Did you get it from IRA? Which location and the phone number? Thanks a lot!

-Eric
  • thetxstangthetxstang Posts: 28
    Where do I begin? This is my first post here, but I first want to thank everyone who has posted within this thread. In preparation for my new 2007 Camry purchase, I read every post over the course of this last week, starting from the first on page 1. Your collective insights and experiences have been very helpful. :)

I picked up my brand new 2007 Camry XLE about two hours ago. While I already have fallen in love with it, my dealer experience was disappointing (more on that in a moment).

Yesterday, I sent a quote request through Edmunds. An Internet Sales person here in Austin, TX, contacted me shortly thereafter by phone. She offered to sell me any Camry they had for $500 over invoice. I told her I was willing to pay $200 over invoice. She put me on hold for a few minutes to "check to see if that's acceptable," and when she returned, she said my offer was accepted.

After discussing their Camry inventory with her, I decided on a 2007 Camry XLE with the following options:

FE - 50 State Emissions
    HD - Driver and Front Passenger Heated Seats
    NV - Navigation w/JBL Premium Audio
    SK - Smart Key System w/Push Button Start
    VS - Vehicle Stability / Traction Control
    MG - Mud Guards
    CF - Carpet Mat Set (5 piece)

She stated the MSRP on this car was $32,209 and the Invoice was $28,439. I could purchase the car for $28,639, $200 over invoice. I said this was fine and asked for her to fax me the factory invoice, which she did within the hour.

I compared the invoice thoroughly against those provided on edmunds.com, kbb.com, carsdirect.com, etc. All of their invoices were about $900 lower than the one I received. I checked line item against line item, and soon realized the extra charges were for advertising fees, marketing fees, and other fees the aforementioned web sites had not accounted for.

Specifically, here is the breakdown of my invoice:

$23,667 - Base Price
    $2,252 - Total Factory Options
    $269 - Total Port Options
    $635 - Delivery/Processing/Handling
    $449 - TAF (Toyota Advertising Fee)
    $319 - TMF (Toyota Marketing Fee)
    $550 - 2% Holdback
    $23 - PIO Holdback (Port Installed Options Holdback?)
    $275 - 1% Finance Reserve MSRP (Have no idea what this is.)
    ===============
    $28,439 - Total Invoice Price

Frankly, I was shocked at the TAF and TMF fees more than anything else. I haven't read a single post within this thread that listed these particular values as high as they are on my invoice. At any rate, I decided to be happy with the deal and proceed.

So, I show up at the dealership earlier this evening to close on the car. I met the Internet Sales person I'd worked with over the phone the previous day. She was pleasant enough to work with and we began the process of filling out the paperwork. Once her part was finished, she handed me off to the F&I guy for the final closing. This is where the story takes a turn for the worse.

I've always had problems with dealership F&I guys. I suppose many people do, since they frequently use high-pressure and manipulative tactics when trying to sell you additional options. (According to people I know that work in the industry, the F&I office is where the dealership makes the most money.) From the moment I met this, I knew I was in for some trouble. He was evidently having a bad day and was pretty surly from the moment we met.

To make a long story short (sorry, I realize this missive is becoming lengthy), he proceeded to do what I'm sure every other F&I person does: Try to get you to purchase every dubious option he has available. Only this guy became more incensed and rude the more I declined his offerings. At one point he even pleaded with me, saying, "C'mon man, at least give me something!"

After an hour of his pestering (and my consistent refusal to purchase anything extra), he had me sign the last of the contracts. This is where I noticed the final selling price suddenly was $450 more than originally agreed upon. He had added a list of fees including such things as a "$25 Car Wash Fee(!)," a "$50 Vehicle Preparation Fee(!)," a "$66 Dealer Inventory Tax Fee," a "$200 VIN Window Etching Fee" (my Camry doesn't even have this), and a couple of others that I'm still trying to put a mind block on. I was shocked and incensed, to say the least. Never in my life would I have thought I'd live to see the day where a dealer would try and charge me for preparing and washing a car I just purchased from them!!!

At any rate, it took me some 15 minutes of arguing with him -- trying to get him back to the agreed upon price -- but he wouldn't budge. He insisted the fees were legitimate and were all true costs to the dealership. I finally said I was walking if he didn't return to the initial agreed price. At this point, he relented on all the additional fees except the $66 "Dealer Inventory Tax Fee" and the $50 "Documentary Fee." I was so worn out from the exchange and banter in his office that I went ahead and signed.

So, what do you think? Did I get ripped off, or was the deal decent? Any other comments? :)
  • utexas06utexas06 Posts: 52
    I just got some internet pricing from Bob Howard Toyota in OKC for an '07 Toyota Camry SE V6.

Extra Options:
    Leather interior upgrade
    Security system
    Moon roof
    Rear spoiler
    JBL 6-disc cd changer

MSRP: $28,923
    Internet Quote: $27,395

What do you all think about this offer? I'm thinking I could push them down to $26,900 and then use my $400 College Grad Cash.
  • utexas06utexas06 Posts: 52
    Hey man, sounds like a rough car buying experience. I'm in Austin, TX as well but about to move to OKC. I'm looking to get an SE-V6. Do you mind telling me which dealership you purchased your Camry from? I'm having to juggle with choosing whether to purchase my Camry in Austin or in OKC once I get there. Texas has a 6.25% motor vehicle tax versus OKC's 3.25% tax. So if I can get the price low enough in Texas it might be worth it. I'm still waiting on some other internet quotes in Oklahoma City.
  • ssvp22ssvp22 Posts: 4
    IMHO this whole thing seems like an advertisement from Caldwell Toyota.
  • thetxstangthetxstang Posts: 28
    Hey there. I actually purchased mine from Classic Toyota in Round Rock (I live closer to them than to any other Toyota dealership in the Austin area). If I were you, I'd see what kind of deal Charles Maund Toyota would offer you. I've heard good things about them. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably see what I could work out there.

I can understand why you'd also be considering just waiting to buy one in OKC. 3.25% vs. 6.25% could be considerable savings!

Good luck. :)
  • parnolaparnola Posts: 141
    Wow, I sympathize with your dealer experience. I, too, can't stand the F&I guys. I had the complete opposite experience; we had agreed upon a price via e-mail. I set up a time to pick up the car and their internet manager told me he'd have it ready to go.

True to his word, I was in and out of their dealership in 15 minutes flat. I didn't even have to talk to the finance guy; the internet manager took care of all the paperwork with me and never even mentioned any further options; the paperwork was already filled out exactly as we'd discussed; I just had to sign.

Like you, their invoice didn't match up with Edmunds; there was a $550 advertising fee, but that was disclosed to me via e-mail. Other than that charge, the car was sold to me at invoice.

It was the best delivery experience I've had!
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    He insisted the fees were legitimate and were all true costs to the dealership.

Did he ask you for 10 cents for the toilet? That's a legitimate cost to the business as well. Their business ethics should take care of washing the car. Who's going to sell you a dirty car? Granted Toyo says a full tank of gas is included but since that's full service they could charge you the $1 tip for the gasboy.

I'm sorry, but I don't care if they sold me the car under invoice I don't give my dollars to a dealer like that. I walk away and find a dealer that's not just honest but doesn't try to treat me like I'm stupid. I typically do my research and know what my car is worth on the low and high end, I know the invoice and I'm ready to allow a reasonable profit. I know more about the car than the salesman and I understand the market conditions. I tell them up front I'm dealing with JUST the printed MSRP and INVOICE and any additional charges they want to include, then need to hide them from me, I don't want to see anything but the discount from the Sticker for comparrison shopping. They eat the cost of these extras (every dearler trying something different) within their profit. That way if they want to add $1000 extras after saying they will knock off $1000 they are going to have to show me that they actually want MSRP. Make it simple. They have to deal on your terms. Don't let them show you confusing numbers when you trade. They often like to show a payment or a difference to be paid (with the extras added). Tell them you want to see on paper a deal that shows the MSRP, the purchase price of the vehicle and the amount that they are going to allow you on trade. Then you have three numbers that don't get lost in the discussion and if any of the three don't look right you have a base to start arguing with them. (1-did they add on to the sticker, 2- are they discounting the car and 3- what are they offering you against the discounted cash price of the car).

This is a good way to be consistant because it is sometimes difficult if you are shopping brands and you are indeed looking at one car that does go for sticker in the market versus one that should be discounted $2000. The market is what it is. If a car traditionally goes for sticker then that is the base price to start with on negotiations. However if it typically has a cash discount of $2000 then you start there. Then you know what your trade is worth. The dealer that traditionally discounts a car $2000 may show your trade as worth $1000 more and in the shuffling of papers and discussion you'll get home and figure out you really could have gotten the other car that you might have liked better for only another $1000.

They don't want to but they will put the paper work in the terms that are easily understood if you insist. If they don't pull out your paper and calculator and put it in terms you understand. This stuff can be confusing and you don't want to shell out $30K unless you are sure of what the deal is.
  • jayb82jayb82 Posts: 19
    I didnt even get close to invoice price from Caldwell. The internet person offered me $1000 off MSRP for a loaded XLE.
  • concertkeyconcertkey Posts: 59
    Thanks for posting that info. My salesman (writing up the order for the Internet manager) told me that he would sell at the same price for anyone that was sent to him. For the other poster that thought my posts were advertisements for the dealership, I can assure that person that they were not. I am a middle school teacher with no affiliation to the dealership and simply got a fabulous deal that I wanted others to get as well.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Posts: 70
    Morning fellow Canadian;
    The Le V6 with Option B package, was the same price as the Se V6. Not sure why you would not purchase the SE versus the LE? They both listed at about $32K plus change. I would be surprised if you get anything off the MSLP, but I traded a 2003 Corolla LE Option B and they gave me $17,400 for it, so I got about $1500 off from what I can figure.
    Check into the SE V6 Basic. Much more car that the LE V6 with Option B.
    The internet salesman gave me a quote of $26,600 for a Camry SE V6. I am a bit hesitant at this deal since I believe this price is still a bit pricey for a Camry. Pay a little more and you can get yourself a Lexus or Acura. Considering some people posted a SE V4 could be bought at about 21k, thats like nearly a $6000 difference just for a V6 engine and leather. Not sure if thats justified to even jump on a SE V6
  • sunny_8sunny_8 Posts: 10
    All,

Looking into the following :

CE Manual Trans
    LE Manual Trans
    SE Manual Trans

What are the prices people have paid for them and how hard has it been finding them ?

Thanks,
  • lnllnl Posts: 3
    Purchased my first new car yesterday for a selling price of $19419 before TTL. It was $211**.** OTD with a 7.75% cook county tax, Uuuugh. Will pick it up in a week. That is the best price I could get among 10 dealers who responded my email.
  • thomasj2thomasj2 Posts: 12
    As I mentioned earlier. I had to travel 100 miles to buy my Camry in order to get a good trade in as part of the deal. I picked the car up on Monday, and was surprised to see that it came with Michelin tires, which are pretty pricey for the same ones I found at different locations on the net. I'm pretty sure the car I test drove in the Dallas area, did not have Michelin tires. Anyone else been getting these tires also? Seems like an added bonus to the deal if they are not standard equipment.
    Since the SE V6 price is a bit over my budget, I was wondering how's everyones price experience with a Camry SE V4. Lowest price I got off an internet quote so far is $22600. Anyone get lower than that? Thanks
  • sunny30sunny30 Posts: 2
    look at the price I paid for my LE V6.
    Mssg # 3044
  • sunny_8sunny_8 Posts: 10
    Does the invoice price already count for the destination charge ? Edmunds and KBB say YES, but the toyota webpage adds the destination charge to the price when you build a car.

thanks

Found a dealer that will give me a 07 camry for 1,000 under MSRP...is that any good ? Chicago area
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    When building on any manufacturers site they have to add destination to the base price and options as it is a build it by the menu type process and delivery is just one step. Plus it's specifically listed seperately on the sticker on your window. They would want the build it price to match up. It's a legitimate charge. As for the invoice, ask to see a copy of it. See if it's included. I've never seen it not listed seperately as are all the option packages. The invoice price is not a single line item it's a summary of the costs of all the options. Bottom line though the KBB and Edmunds sites are accurate in most cases and what they say is invoice is what the dealer invoice actually is. Anything else is add ons.

However the advertising fees and other items while legitimate business expenses are not manufacturers items and I don't consider them as part of the MSRP or the INVOICE. Add them if they want but call them what they are, add-ons. Would I pay for them???? I guess in the South East, if you want a Toyota you're going to get a lot of stuff you don't want. From what I've been reading it sounds like a rip off that Toyota shouldn't support within their dealer network.

From what I've seen, $1000 under MSRP (if that's the manufacturers sticker on the window) is as good as it gets short term. However unless you're wanting a V6SE which may be hot, there are (or should be) better deals.

This is a Toyota. They sell at discount. They make 400,000 of these for the US it can't sustain a MSRP pricing and be competitive for long. Short term possibly, but by this summer when there are rows of them on the lot they will be discounted. The question is, do you want to overpay by possibly $1000 just to have your car 6 months earlier.

The answer to that may be yes and that's OK. However for those wanting a 4cCE I would expect them to be frugal enough to wait and nit get caught up in the supply demand gouging
  • hero76hero76 Posts: 3
    anyone in southwest Ohio (Cinci-Dayton area) care to give info on what dealerships work the best for internet sales? i've gone to one on rt 4 and joseph toyota and had no luck getting them even budge more than $500 off MSRP, I'm looking to get a SE , preferably with V6 for less than $26k :D
    Goodluck getting it less than 26k. I tried in various dealers in NJ, the most they'll budge is $3400 off MSRP to $26600 for a Camry SE V6. Like the above poster said, if you're patient and wait 6 months till Camry demands fall, dont expect much bargaining power against the dealerships since there are people out there willing to pay full MSRP without bargaining a dime.
  • blindmantooblindmantoo Posts: 139
    If you're willing to go to Columbus, try Tansky Toyota. I received a very fair deal from them (Loaded V6SE: NAV Moonroof pkg, Leather pkg, mats, XM, Stability Control: about $27.8k)
  • singplumbsingplumb Posts: 2
    In NW Indiana, I bought a SE V4 with JBL 6 disk, carpet/trunk mat set, and spoiler. MSRP total was $23,769.00. Bought it on 4-29-06 for $21,605.00.
  • taydavtaydav Posts: 3
    Anyone know of any good deals in the Pittsburgh area for a 2007 Camry? Every dealership I am contacting doesn't want to budge in price. It's the old supply and demand they keep telling me. Looking for the Camry LE.