Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jayfayjayfay Member Posts: 9
    I ordered the V6XLE w/Nav. from Freehold (DCH) Toyota Monmouth County N.J. This was over 13 weeks ago. I negotiated a price online for $28,300.00. From some of the prices people are paying, I see why I have not received that car yet. I think they are playing games with me to try to get me to back out of the deal. They could have sold the car from under me to someone else for a higher price. What do you think?
  • Options
    crushergcrusherg Member Posts: 10
    On Edmunds and other sites you see the invoice price. At the dealer they claimed they were giving me invoice +600 but when they showed the invoice price there was a 500- and a 400- (about) added that they said are invoice charges to them for advertising etc.

Any truth to this?
  • Options
    thegov3thegov3 Member Posts: 5
    Um, no. You are getting taken.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Wrong. I luv these people speaking with such knowledge.

The Edmunds price is Manufacturers invoice that does not include the TDA that Toyota charges the dealers (~$500 depending on area) or the SE admin charge and extra $55 charge in the SE region.

When that is added it is called dealer invoice.

Read the Edmunds fine print.....
  • Options
    guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    It depends on the region you are in. For example in my region, the dealer claimed to have an advert fee of around $600 first. Since I paid only $620 over invoice (as listed on edmunds without advert. fee), I am pretty sure the advertisement fee is not $600. Make sure you dont get conned by prep. fee and high documetation fee. Of course, I have not yet received my Camry after 9 weeks of ordering (ordered with VSC) and the dealer may be yanking me around due to the possibly low profit he/she is getting! Hope this helps.
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Do your homework folks.

Never -- ever pay these fees.

If you can't talk them out of it -- Buy your car over the internet at Fitzmall.com and pay Nooooo doc fees and no hassle the final price. I got my loaded TCH at msrp MINUS $699 + $19 tag temp tag fees -- Deal took 5 minutes.

Why would you ever pay your 'local' dealer more than the car is worth????
  • Options
    tyray15tyray15 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have any buying experiences in the Kansas City area?
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    You paid $700 under MSRP for your TCH?... shop around next time and work from invoice.

Why would you ever pay your dealer more than the car is worth????
  • Options
    What does TDA charge stand for?
  • Options
    Toyota Dealer Advertising - add on fee is an advertising cost that Toyota passes on to the dealer
  • Options
    When getting the Costco price that would be 600 over invoice should that include the TDA?
  • Options
    Yes, the dealer invoice includes TDA.
  • Options
    concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    After 14 weeks, my SE-V6 was finally driven home today and seems to be a very good car. Although I didn't take it over 50 mph, there weren't any rattles or squeaks and acceleration was good. The salesman assigned to me (original salesman is in the hospital) forgot to put the car in for prep and I sat and waited two hours for the car to be delivered. The third salesman assigned to me was very good and carefully explained everything. The dealership Caldwell Toyota (NJ) honored the May 16 price ($100 over invoice) but I had to fork out the additional $270.00 in state sales tax. I like the gray interior much better than the charcoal but wished that the SE was offered in Aloe Green as well. The build date was August 2006 so I am hoping that all of the service bulletins have been incorporated into this car.
  • Options
    ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    VERY NICE.. CONGRATULATIONS! BTW, how do you find the build date?
  • Options
    Thanks. Open the driver's door and look down to the right at the bottom of the "B" pillar. You'll see a tag with info on it. The second line down from the top gives you the month and the year.
  • Options
    nnnnnpatelnnnnnpatel Member Posts: 27
    Everytime I get a quote over the internet, the prices are ridiculously lower than walking into a dealership. Are they selling flawed cars with knocked off prices or what is the true reason behind the low cost vehicle on internet. If there internet prices are legit, then what is the catch?

thanks

Angie
  • Options
    This is what I've come to find out in my situation...

I've received 3 internet quotes for 2007 Camry SE and they all seemed to be at or just above invoice, which is a lot cheaper than what I got quoted when I went into the dealership. 2 months ago I took the best price and ordered one after they told me it would be here in 4 weeks. A couple weeks after that I renegotiated the price in my favor, which they then came back and told me that I had "lost" my car since the price changed and guy in line behind me got it. My car is nowhere to be found now and they can't give me any answers.

What I've been hearing from other dealers as of late is my price I was quoted is way too low and they just found somebody to pay more for the car.....so I got pushed to the back of the line...and they'll keep doing it. I've been to every dealership in the area and it sounds like if I want my car anytime soon, I will be paying somewhere in between invoice and MSRP, NOT these low internet prices. I really think they just quoted me the low price to get me in the dealership and have me throw down a deposit on the car.

If you read through this forum you'll find many people paying at or above invoice but I don't think it's possible where I live.
  • Options
    guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    I ordered 2 2007 v6 Camrys. I has been 9 weeks and the dealer has not even given me a date of manufacture!! Apparently, my VSC requirement is something that has delayed the manufacture and delivery considerably. I do not know if the dealer is backing out due to the recent price increase (despite me paying about $600 over the old invoice price). Considering the flare issue, I am very inclined to cancelling the order though the dealer told me that it has been fixed in the newly manufactured Camrys. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I will be cancelling my order in the next couple days. I'm fed up with being jerked around by this dealer. I may go somewhere else or not at all. If I go somewhere else, it sounds like I'll be paying at least $1000 more than what I was originally quoted. This is my first car buying experience so I've got a bitter taste in my mouth after this whole ordeal.

Sounds like we're in the same boat though along with a lot of other people.
  • Options
    if you are not confident, you can cancel. I need a car desperately. But I cancelled my order as I was not confident enough after looking into the problems. But remember, you car may not have any problems like others.
  • Options
    Depends which internet dealer.

If you go to: www.fitzmall.com

You will not be jerked around.... AND you will NOT pay rediculous dealer doc fees.... and yes they DO discount TCH's... and yes they can get one prior to 9/30.

Do your homework, people.
  • Options
    I know the frustration you're going through. In my case, the salesman initially earmarked a car from the dealer's allocation that had the wrong color interior without telling me and then expected me to buy it. It took another 6 weeks after that to have the car made and two weeks to get it on the dealer's lot. 14 weeks had gone by at this point. I actually called Toyota and got a case number the week before the GM called to tell me the car was at Port Newark. Another week passed and I finally took delivery. Everything seems to be good at this point although there are fit and finish issues. I noticed this morning that my rear bumper seems to be too long for the car and there's a decent gap where it meets the left wheel well. This is what happens when you take delivery in the rain and don't check every gap before driving off.
  • Options
    sammya_mdsammya_md Member Posts: 69
    I saw you ordered an SE with JBL and moonroof. Not sure where you live, but if you are close to Maryland, www.fitzmall.com has a couple in stock and on the way, that you can get at 500 above invoice, no haggling required. They are automatics, and they have 1 manual on the lot currently. Just perhaps something to think about..take a quote from their site, just print it out, and show people closer to you.
  • Options
    I've seen Fitzmall on this forum quite a few times so I checked them out. I live in the Kansas City area so I'm not even sure if it's possible or worth the hassle.
  • Options
    agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    It might be true to get a TCH before 9/30/06, but it will NOT be a loaded one... I have placed an order beginning of August 8/06 for a loaded TCH via fitzmall and I am 5th on their waiting list... I doubt TCH will make it before 9/30/06.
  • Options
    jayfayjayfay Member Posts: 9
    I also know the frustration. It will be 14 weeks tomorrow for me. The Dealer has not called yet, but I was told that my V6 Camry XLE with Nav. should be at the port of Newark this week. I was also told that a car made in Japan may be of better quality than one made in the U.S. From what you are saying that may not be correct. What model did you order?
  • Options
    jkisselljkissell Member Posts: 7
    I just put down a deposit on a 2007 Camry LE with a sunroof and floor mats. The car that I ordered already had the 2007 price increase added to the invoice price (so invoice on edmunds.com doesn't completely match up). The best price I was able to find was invoice +400, which I offered to pay and was told this came to $20,964. (invoice was 20,564) My only concern is that I'm starting to think they did not charge me invoice for the options (sunroof, mats) and charged me invoice +400 on car and full price on options. I'm having a hard time determining if this is a good price and wondering how your prices compare? Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    according to my dealer the invoice (with mats) with price increase is 19650. Now you can add the other options and check.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently went away from purchasing a Ford and decided on a Toyota, Honda or Nissan vehicle instead. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    snukesnuke Member Posts: 81
    My daughter had a 2005 Toyota 4-Runner and due to gas prices, decided to trade it in for a 2007 Camry. She has bad credit and needed me to co-sign. She was given an LE with the leather package, sun roof and upgraded 16" alloy wheels for 22,500. She had $6,650 negative equity in the 4-Runner. She settle on a deal whereas she will pay $41 over the 4-Runner's note for 70-months. At the very end, the financial manager, without asking, printed paper work to work to be sign for extended warranty, GAP insurance (will pay out car if totalled) and health/accident coverage(will pay note of car if either of us is unable to pay). I told the guy I will purchase extended warranty on-line so he lowered the price to match the online price. I did not want the GAP nor health/accident but was told due to the negative equity, they needed to paint the financing agent a picture that my daughter was worth the risk considering the negative equity in the truck. I was told if the health coverage was removed, the interest rate would likely be higher. I did not like that explanation but considering the negative equity and my daughter's bad credit, I did not feel I had much choice.
  • Options
    The SE-V6 that I picked up this week was made in Kentucky. Overall, the car is wonderful, but the bumper, left rocker panel and a piece near the radio weren't fitting as well as they could. I went back to the dealership yesterday to see if they could adjust them and was told that they would need to order another bumper and rocker panel and then paint them here. I declined to have that done. My concern is water and ice getting in the openings but the service manager said that it wouldn't be a problem. We will see. Although I like the firm ride of the car, it does feel jittery over uneven road surfaces and I'm bounced around a bit. I haven't taken it on the interstate yet, but have a feeling it will shine on the open highway.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    If your credit is good and you co-signed then they shouldn't care about her credit. You're the one they will come to ultimately.

I've been able to get both my kids to a good credit rating, but have had to co-sign and work with (help) them.

I don't know if you had a credit union or a bank that you normally deal with.
  • Options
    Thanks for responding. Yes, my credit is good. So, I am assuming you did not feel that was a good deal. With my daughter having so much negative equity, it was difficult to get any dealer to work with us especially for a car that is in high demand.
  • Options
    I don't think it was a bad deal I think they may have jerked you some on the "extra'".

My daughter traded her 2005 SR5 4 Runner for a Corolla (not in as much demand). They gave her $25,000 on trade (she got cash from them to pay on the 4Runner and I paid the extra to make her loan at the MSRP of the Corolla). She had negative equity, but I advised her to trade anyway to get away from the large payment the the gas. It's saving her about $350/month overall.

I think you made the right decision, it's just a shame they made you buy meaningless extras for the financing.

It does help to have a local small town bank to work with. If you have a good credit rating they will give you anything you want.
  • Options
    I know it sounds strange because I do not know you. But, it really makes me feel so much better reading your opinion that I made the right decision. I have worried over this since the transaction occurred. I wish my daughter would have settled on a Corolla but she is 5'10" in height and said she felt too confined.
  • Options
    But, it really makes me feel so much better reading your opinion that I made the right decision.

Oh I've made bad ones in the past, BUT, never look back. I'm 6'2 and my mom also has a Corolla. I fit in it OK and it's a good driver but for everyday driving the TCH is much more comfortable for me. My mom and daughter are both 5'3". My mom absolutely loves hers. My dad always drove chevy's and this was her first small foreign brand car.
  • Options
    tuebrooktuebrook Member Posts: 10
    I have a quote to buy a V6 XLE at $200 over invoice plus a $170 doc fee. The options included are HD (heated seats), VS (vehicle stability) and CF (carpet mats). Invoice price including the dest fee is $26653. This puts me out of the door with the car for $27023 plus tax and tags.

These prices check out with Edmunds and I think the deal is good. Do you agree :) or disagree :( ?
  • Options
    wvecowveco Member Posts: 2
    wvgasguy, I've seen in your earlier posts that you live in central WV. Anywhere near Buckhannon? Did you check out more than one dealership? Any recommendations?

My heart is with a hybrid (Camry or Highlander), but the TCH may not meet my needs. And my head says it's going to take more years than I will own the vehicle for the slightly better gas mileage of the HH to make up for the price differential between it and the new non-hybrid V-6 RAV4. I was giving serious consideration to the TCH, but I'm just getting into real estate and my broker is steering me toward a car-based SUV...easier for people to get in and out of, more trunk space for hauling signs, etc. around in (I have to admit, the batteries in the TCH take up most of the useable trunk space), and AWD if you need to drive some client's farm property. Of course the HH isn't really meant for serious off-roading and I don't really want to tear up my vehicle on some client's farm, so maybe I'll just get the TCH and tell my broker we're going to have to take her SUV on any unpaved farm roads! I took a look at the specs for the HH and the new RAV4, which is bigger than the old one. There's not that much difference in front and rear seating dimensions and I don't think the HH will get that much better gas mileage than the RAV4. It's supposed to get better city mileage, but all the comments and posts I see say it doesn't get anywhere near what the EPA ratings are. Most posts seem to imply that's because most people aren't doing "real" city driving. But what is "real" city driving? Is driving around little 'ole Buckhannon at 25-35 mph "real" city driving? Any insights based on your TCH experience driving in central WV? And any dealer recommendations?
  • Options
    Pay the money for GAP insurance fully now, otherwise it costs $600 more for the whole financed period. I talked with a financial advisor and got this info.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    What is TCH and HH?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Toyota Camry Hybrid
    Highlander Hybrid

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    I am about to close an out of state deal ($500 refundable if not delivered by 9/30/06) for a loaded 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Magnetic Gray Metallic/Ash Leather for $31,482.47 OTD price (doc. fees $399.50) with the following options/packages:

CQ (Convenience Pkg)
    SR (Moon Roof)
    CF (Carpet Mats and Trunk Mats)
    NV (Navigation System)
    LA (Seat Trim Leather Surfaced)

MSRP $30,166.00 (original MSRP was $30,666.58 but took $500 off MSRP)

Is this a good deal? What others have paid with similar equipped options/packages?
  • Options
    What were your doc fees?

$500 of msrp is good. However the msrp is $77.00 too high and the qualifier is: How much doc fees?
  • Options
    moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    He said $399.50 for the doc fees which is way high.
  • Options
    in general, the doc fee is $99-199. But you are getting $500 of MSRP. So, its kinda adjusted.
  • Options
    Ba-lo-ney!

I bought my TCH....

$699 off MSRP and ZERO doc fees.

www.fitzmall.com

Do your homework!
  • Options
    It is not, I have already placed a $500 fully refundable deposit with fitzmall and I will have to pay $99 doc. fee. Unfortunately, I want to get the TCH before 9/30/06 and not wait 3-4 months, so I will have to pay the $399.50 doc. fee as it is a standard variable fee from almost all dealerships... and yes I know this is how they make money, part of open market... I wish there was a way government could control it.
  • Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    does anyone has experience in shopping/buying a TCH with Nav in N. California? I am starting to look at one but not optimistic that I can get one before 9/30..