Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 GMC Sierra

Comments

• louis10louis10 Member Posts: 3
    I have been given a shipping date of 12-14-99 for my order of sle 4x4 ext cab 3-dr 1500. Does anyone know how long it takes for truck to reach dealer? Is it longer than 2 weeks? thanks.
  • surmansurman Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my 2000 sierra on nov 10th and it started production on dec 6th. it was shipped on dec 9th and I picked it up yesterday dec 16th, one day less than five weeks total. I couldn't be happier with the truck. I've only put on 70 miles so far but I'm going on a 400 mi trip this weekend. Hope everybody out there has as much luck as I did!
  • barbour1barbour1 Member Posts: 17
    I noticed that sierra costs several hundred dollars more, model for model, than silverado.Is there any difference except for the grille and labeling?
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Not really. The seat material is different, not necessarily better, just different. The hood and front fenders also have slight differences. The actual dealer invoice price difference, equipped the same, is actually $130.00. I think the front grill and bumper are a bit more up-scale looking (less pebbly black plastic). Not a big diff, but enough to justify the extra $130 in my opinion. By the way, y2kgmc, my Sierra has no rattles or squeeks at all. Its a very tight feeling truck. Of course, mine was built in Indiana, and I'm beginning to think that this can make a difference.
    When I am at a stop-light with my foot on the brake I hear a growling noise,when I remove my foot from the brakes the growling stops, any one know what this noise is all about??
  • deedee8deedee8 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2000 GMC Sierra, extend cab, Fire Red, for my husband for Christmas (pick up tonite).

I did months of research and found that at least here in Calif. The Chevy was more expensive than the GMC. It all had to do with options vs standard equipment.

After finding a great deal on the GMC shopped around a bit to see if I could get a better deal because my husband liked the Chevy grill look better.

The Chevy dealer came after me three times lowering their price and never even came close to the GMC. WHY???? Because the Overdrive Transmission was an option on the Chevy and standard equipment on the GMC. It also had the tow hitch big deal will buy one myself.

We have owned a 76 GMC Dually for the past 10 years and have never had to make a major repair.
    I hope we have as much good luck with our new one.
  • gmcnutgmcnut Member Posts: 14
    Hey Y2KGMC, I have to agree with white6, my 2000 GMC 2500 SLE has 2300 miles on it and I have yet to find a thing wrong with it. I don't know what everyone is talking about relative to annoying vibrations and engine stutter at idle, I haven't experienced any of it. As far as rattles, etc. the only one I have is when my back seat is up and it only rattles when I'm off road. This is my third GM truck and second GMC, after owning five Fords, three of which had to have transmissions replaced. My opinion, GMC got it right! Good luck
  • rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    If you want to really check out just how much your GMC or equally equipped Chevy cost, try:
    www.webcarbook.com.....This is Chrome Data site and is very accurate. I have priced out a 2000 Silverado 2500, ext.cab., SB, 4x4 with all options except leather. My print out came out exactly as the Chevrolet Dealers, MSRP and Invoice. Good luck..I'm one of those poor guys that is just waiting until GM gets off their hands and start producing 3/4 tons.
    The aforementioned address should have read:
    www.webcarbook.com/new/index.htm.
    This should get you into the right area. The other one won't let you in if you are not a dealer. I stumbled into this address by accident, and it is the one that many (if not all) dealers go to, to price out a car.

Luck to all. rshornsby
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Stopped by the local GMC dealership yesterday to see what is available as I am looking for a new pickup. A couple looked close to what I am looking for but each lacked at least one major option. Sales rep. said there was a truck that had just been delivered but not prepped in the service area and I could look at it. The truck had everything on it I wanted. The salesman then said it would be a few days before it could be driven because of a knock in the engine and a coomplete new engine was supposed to be installed next week. Needless to say I am not interested in that particular truck. I made note of the VIN and left.
  • tganleytganley Member Posts: 15
    My GMC 2500 4x4 SLE SB was also built on a monday, (12/6) and I'll have to say this worried me. I've got less than 200 mi on it but I haven't noticed a single squeek or rattle.

There is a tiny bit of vibration at idle, but you don't notice unless you are really looking for it. There is also a dimple on the tailgate under the handle, that I don't think I would even have noticed had I not done some bodywork and learned about making panels flat.

Otherwise I can find nothing wrong with it. I share my five year old's sentiment; it's awsome.
    That would be "awesome". Didn't mean to spell it like my five year old.
  • lwmaylwmay Member Posts: 3
    i have a y2kgmc,ext.,lwb,3/4 ton,slt., with 2500 miles and have not noticed a single problem . it took over 6 months to get it but i am very pleased so far. it has a 3.73 rear end, 14.2 first tank, last tank 17.1 hwy.
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    4wd or 2wd? That's great mileage for only 2,500 miles.
    ysk 2500 sle sb.One thing that mystifies me about this otherwise well designed truck is the lack of a lock for the tailgate. I took it off the truck first time in under 20 seconds. Two guys with a little practice could get it off almost without ever having to stop moving.

Anybody know of an aftermarket fix for this problem? GMC offered a locking handle as an accessory, but they have discontinued it. It's almost like they are trying to boost their replacement tailgate bussiness.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I bought two very small padlocks at Pepboys - total cost $3.00. Put the locks on the top of the cable - up where you remove it from the truck before you take the tailgate off. They make it so the cable can not be taken off of the stud.

Pop lock also has a tailgate lock that just came out for the new style chevy, but it costs $50.00.
    Thanks for the tip, z71bill. I look into that.
  • aggie91aggie91 Member Posts: 3
    I have put off ordering a new truck while waiting to hear when the 4dr rxt cabs will be built. I talked to a dealer today and he indicated they would not be available until spring. Does anyone have information on the availability or production timing for the 4dr? I am looking at a 1/2 ton Z71. If it will be that long will the 3/4 ton take even longer?Thanks
  • macjawsmacjaws Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Sierra 4x4 SLE Ext.cab and have noticed that about 40 mph the transmission makes a growling noise.It goes away at about 45mph and not before 40mph. Kinda sounds like the torque adjustment may be off.If anyone else has had similar problems I would sure like to know.I have a friend who has a 1999 Sierra and his does the same thing.
  • kct2kct2 Member Posts: 4
    I just ordered a 2000 GMC extcab SLT last week. The salesman recommended the 3.73 rearend. I took his advice, but somewhat reluctantly. He says at highway speeds (presumably in overdrive) the gas mileage is the same as the standard rearend, but with better exceleration & towing power. If I spend most of my time at highway speeds, would I lose much in gas mileage? Could I expect the EPA's rosey estimate of 20MPG?
  • polaris1polaris1 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same problem with my 1999 Chevy Silverado ext cab 4x4. The fix was to have my PCM prom flashed with an updated tranny program. This delays the lockup on the torque converter to about 45 MPH.
    I was hoping for some response to my previous post.My 00 gmc makes growling noises at steady speeds up to about 45mph,it also growls any time I am stopped waiting at a red light with my foot on the brake.The noise seems to be coming from the engine area,some posts mentioned auto transmission noise from the converter.Perhaps this trans is what I am hearing???
  • jhendjhend Member Posts: 1
    Never usually posts to these things but found this site useful when ordering a GMC Sierra 1500 SLE for the wife. Ordered a black 2wd Ext SLE in
    mid November. It was built in the 1st week of December and arrived on the 23rd. Am completely satisfied with the truck. No squeaks or rattles. However, am disappointed in that I thought we were getting an electrochromatic rear view mirror with the SLE package as it is stated in the brochure as standard equipment. But it didn't come with it and dealer says the brochure is incorrect and even has a disclaimer that says it might not be accurate. So learn from my mistake in not ensuring exactly what we were getting when ordering.
    how all car salesmen are so forgetful isn't it? I have had similiar experience, except it came when the bottom line figure was agreed upon. Then came "oh I forgot to add $200 or $300 for this or that item....". Guess it is still BUYER BEWARE, if you don't ask, they won't say.. It is a shame that the car salesmen of this country cannot be held to their word...

Have A Happy New Year with your truck, I can't seem to get one.

Regards,

rshornsby
  • y2kgmcy2kgmc Member Posts: 23
    It's wonderful to live in this Great Country and drive a 2000 Indigo Blue GMC Sierra 1500 4x4.....Happy New Year To All
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    jhend- My 1500 4X4 SLE came with this mirror as standard equipment. I think you got cheated on your mirror. They should replace it for you. It's a nice feature, especially the outside temperature display.
    If you would like to know what is and what isn't there are 3 places to look. (Really 2, Carwizard and Web Carbook Chrome Data show the same thing).
    A good site to find all Optional Equip., Standard
    Equip, etc..is www.autosite.com..This site lists all equip, and what it is avail. on. The other sites give you a printable listing of your order, priced out. I prefer ChromeDate simply because it is the one that the local dealer here uses to quote prices. Carwizard is same site, different name (slow loading for me). But both good.
    later,

Roger
    KCT2 - You don't mention what engine your getting in your new truck or whether it's a 1500 or 2500 but based on your EPA comment of 20mpg I've got to believe it's not the 300hp engine. I've got a new Sierra 2500 SLE with the 300hp and 3.73's with the HD autotrans, and I'm getting around 17mpg on the highway running at 70mph, and between 13 and 14mpg all around. Maybe 20mpg is achieveable with the 275hp engine. Good luck.
    JHEND - You've got to look at options listed on your invoice to determine if you should have gotten the automirror option. I'm not sure about the 2WD models but on my 2500 4WD the electrochromic mirror came as part of the R6T convenience plus group and included 6 way power seats and AutoTrac 4WD. You could also get the mirror separately as option DF5 for the SLE. The mirror is standard on the SLT model only and not available on the SL. Hope this helps. Don't beat up your dealer until you find out what options you ordered. Good luck.
  • kct2kct2 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you GMCNUT. If you're getting 17mpg on the truck you're driving around, I should get close to 20 on a 2WD 1500 with a 5.3 litre. Have you been a GMC nut long? I've driven only Ford's for about 20 years. When I saw the new GMC Sierra, however, I thought I'd give it a whirl. I've certainly never testdriven a vehicle that I enjoyed as much as that truck (Ford doesn't come close). I ordered a Fire Red SLT ext cab with oak leather interior & all options including the sportside. I've not seen one quite like that yet, I hope I won't be disappointed when I get the final product.
    kct2, I picked up my 2000 Chevy LT, 5.3, 3.73 locker, loaded, last week. First tank was 16.8 mpg. Mostly short trips and a few runs of no more than twenty miles. Engine turns about 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Plenty of power and cruises quietly at 70-75 mph.
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    How many miles do you have on it now and is the mpg going up or dn. I have a 2000 Lt set up like yours and I am getting 14.3-15.2 on 80 mile rd trips. My first tank was 16.7 and I have got as high as 17 but it is all dn hill now. It has 5400 miles on it and the mec says it still has a long way to go for break in but I think it won't get any better or not much at least. Talked to the owner of the dealership today about trading it off but he said lets get GM involved but I don't hold much hope at this time.I have added a bug deflector and a visor but I don't feel that is doing it as others have said they diden't notice a difference.
    Did you break in your truck by driving slow, not making fast starts etc? Do you drive harder now?

This could explain the drop in mileage. I know I have lost 1-2 mpg on a tank but it is because I love to hear the sound of the 5.3L V8 with my foot almost to the floor. With 7000 miles - average of 15.5 mpg in combined city/highway driving (Houston traffic sucks) I average about 25 miles per hour calculated by dividing miles by the hour meter. I have an X-cab 4x4. My mileage has been down as low as 14 and as high at 18.6
    I only have 500 miles on it now so I'm not yet into the seond tank. I forgot to add it is a 2wd with the 255/70r16s. I usually break-in a new vehicle by driving it at highway speed but taking it easy on starts and stops. The salesman said the first 10,000 miles are critical for break-in. But then he said to break it in as I usually do.
    Since I live in flat country and seldom haul any thing over a couple hundred pounds I bought a new reg.cab with the shortbed and the 4.3 engine.A couple of friends said that was a bad move.It seems to get down the road quite well.Comments on the 4.3??
    If it meets your needs why not. The important thing is are you happy with it. 6 cylinders today have more HP then many of the V8's from 5 years ago.
    KCT2, This is my 2nd GMC after driving nothing but Ford 4wd's from 1976 to 1991. I switched to a '91 Chevy 4wd Scottsdale after I test drove one. My Ford's couldn't compare to the ride and power of the Chevy at that time, ( and especially now)plus the GM engineers didn't scrimp on such things as grease fittings at all the right places like Ford does. I'm big on regular maintenance and almost every Ford I had ( 1/2 tons anyway ) had problems with ball joints wearing and auto transmissions giving out on me. I bought my first GMC in 1996 when I traded up to an extended cab SLE K1500 4WD. Nothing against the Chevy, I just got a better deal on a GMC and I like the style better. ( I'm not into big bowties on my grill ) When I saw the new K2500 Y2K truck I had to have one, so I ordered a fully loaded SLE 4WD this past August. Picked it up in October and it's proven to be everything GM claims it is. I hope you're a happy with yours. I know I won't be going back to a Ford after owning GMC's. Good luck.
  • jridgway1jridgway1 Member Posts: 13
    My 84 Dodge 4x4 finally gave out recently and I've had my eye on a GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra Classic. After negotiating with one of the InvoiceDealers.com dealerships for 2 hours I am offered (take it or leave it) a truck marked up $872 over invoice. This is broken down as follows:

$187 Adv
    $125 Processing fee
    $260 Dealer Prep
    $300 Profit

I'm using the dealer terms here. Now, I argued to no avail that the Prep and Processing fees are all part of profit and since this would be an order, the hold back of $760 would give them almost $1500 in profit. I haven't bought new in over 10 years and didn't pay all these fees before. I ended up leaving with no deal made. Does this look right/fair price? Thanks.
    I have a new 2wd reg.cab short bed.I took it out on the interstate for the first time yesterday and found that it has a dead spot in the steering,on as straight smooth stretch of road it will drift to the left or right even though the steering is being held firmly on center.This means that I constantly had to keep making small corrections to stay in the lane,I read in some posts that the new rack and pinion steering was a concern,the Dakota that I traded in had rack-pin.but it ran straight as an arrow down the road with excellent on center stability.Dealer has my truck to check the steering out plus a constant vibrating groan coming from the engine compartment.I had the truck that I traded in 3 yrs.never had to take it in for warranty work.Newer isn't always better.
  • dalehannahdalehannah Member Posts: 4
    Check Autobytel.com I submitted to them and got a response back (a day too late) that I could by at $300.00 BELOW invoice. I had already done the deal and had turned in a buy-back(r/t). It might be worth the day or two it takes for them to get back to you.
  • davherbdavherb Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a GMC Sierra 1500 well equipted in the middle of November. It is the 4dr model. So far I don't even have a build date. I have been waiting 2 months so far.

How long should it take?
    I have replaced the clear lamps on my Daytime Running Lights with Amber to give my 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 ext cab shortbed a distinctive look .No vibrations just a very annoying rattle in the drivers' seat ,the $425.00 optional reclining buckets made by Lear in the rochester hills ,Michigan plant ....needless to say I'm disappointed in this otherwise nice(RATTLETRAP) truck
    I should correct my previous post ,the annoying sound in my 2000 GMC Sierra is actually more of a squeak than a rattle...bottom line the truck is as aggravating as it is pleasurable.....would I buy another ? seriously doubt it !!!!!!!!
  • gbotkingbotkin Member Posts: 1
    Called GMC today representative told me that the four door 3/4 ton pickups would not be available until the 2001 model year. Isn't this ridiculous.
    looks to me same cab on heavier chassis should no be a problem to build this year.
  • blpnoblpno Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the market from a loaded 4door Sierra 1500 SLE with Leather, 5.3 V8. If you can help let me know what dealerships are take over cost or behind cost would help in my quest.(Even if its a 3rd door would help to get a range on price)
  • dannypdannyp Member Posts: 3
    Does nay have a phone # for a
    GMC representative? thanks.
  • rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    The brochure notes state that without either Z85, ZX3 or Z71 options, the 1/2T is limited to 5000 lbs independent of engine and axle ratio.
  • afs93afs93 Member Posts: 30
    I'm not tellingyou what to do but if you want leather, I would buy the SLT model over the SLE.

Only if you want the leather bench seat (SLE) or the nice all power (SLT) bucket seats. For the difference I would select the SLT.

Just my opinion.
    AFS
  • durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    I was looking on gmbuypower.com and they have
    a "Full Feature Bucket" listed as an option on a
    particular truck (Sierra). Is this different name for the same buckets or something different? I have seen them called something else before.
  • afs93afs93 Member Posts: 30
    There are 3 different leather seats available.

1)AN3 (this is the seat standard on the SLT model). This is the "Full feature bucket seat", power 6-way seat adjusters, power lumbar, power seat back bolster, power seat back recliner & tilting head restraint. Dual heated seats & memory on the driver's seat.

2)A95 (this is the optional seat on the SLE model). This is the high back bucket seat. Leather trim includes the 6-way seat adjusters. Manual lumbar & manual recliner.

* both AN3 & A95 include full lenght overhead console & floor console.

3)AE7 (this is also optional on the SLE model). This is the 40/20/40 split bench seat. Leather trim includes the 6-way seat adjusters. Manual lumbar & manual recliner. Folding center bench that will function as armrest with stowage provisions. Includes mini roof console.

I hope that answers any questions!
    AFS
This discussion has been closed.