Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    using *old* images on *new* marketing material is counter-productive.

Bob
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    While stuck in traffic on the ride home last night, I saw a first. You know how Honda Civics are popular with a certain segment of society who like to dress them up with shiny chrome wheels, low-profile tires, etc? Well, there I was sitting in traffic when my door started rattling from the booming bass emanating from the stereo of an approaching vehicle. I looked over to ID the noise offender and was shocked to see that the offending sound was coming from a Ford Expedition tricked out like above described Honda Civic. It looked so ridiculous that I almost busted out laughing.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    There a lots of tricked out SUV's in NYC.
    (to the tune of zoom zoom)
    Bling bling bling, yeah bling bling bling. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246

..Mike

• Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Hope Colin doesn't see that.
    He hates rally spoiler posts. :-)
    -Dennis
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    s'okay I haven't been following WRC in several months.

spoilers are annoying to many people though, I wouldn't recommend it.

-Colin
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    20s (as in 20" rims) are all the rage among my lil' brother's age group. You can even find 22s.

Ridiculous. Let's add 80 pounds of total unsprung weight for the already challenged suspension to handle.

-juice
  • Options
    I don't follow?! You don't want the race info? Why not?

Bob
  • Options
    Bob,

The link is great! I think the issue is the heading, which gives away the ending. Some watch the rally unfold on Speed Channel, delayed a month or so from media bulletins, and don't wish to inadvertently discover the ending here. Instead of:

Subaru wins first leg of African rally!

how about something like?

African Rally on yahoo

The second points us to the article without spoiling the ending.

Cheers,

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    I understand that, but my heading is no different from what you might read from any newspaper, or another web site.

This year Subaru has had lousy success on the WRC. Here they finally win something. I thought that would be welcomed news. If, however, people here don't want me to post race results, that's fine with me.

Bob
  • Options
    right Bob, but while I know enough to stay away from national news and Speedtv.com, can I reasonably expect to not see revealing headlines in the SC Cafe?

;-)

-Colin
  • Options
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    And get a Sat Dish so you can watch SPEED too :)

We watched it over the weekend :)

-mike
  • Options
    um, no. I watched SPEED on Sunday-- how could I miss Laguna Seca? And I watched on regular old cable, so maybe you should be whining about having to buy a dish to get it... ;-)

-Colin
  • Options
    :) Dish is cheaper than cable in my areas :)

Got my dose of nAScar vision while on vacation.

-mike
  • Options
    I wish I had it to even enter this discussion.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    This is the company that supplies Subaru and other brands with their trailer hitches.

Bob

http://www.flex-n-gate.com/
  • Options
    96/100 sounds good. IIRC a Century ad bragged that 90% of those sold in the last decade were still on the road, something like that.

Interesting, Bob. So that makes 3 manufacturers that make hitches for Scoobys. The others are Hidden Hitch and Draw Tite.

-juice
  • Options
    This is the "factory" hitches, that's sold at Subie dealers.

Bob
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    A new picture of our Outback all shinny in the sun (Rain-X quik wax).

Replaced a vehicle in our fleet this evening too...

-Brian
  • Options
    The maker of of IVTs? They just signed an agreement with ZF.

Bob

http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=38493&dm=yes
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    And nary a mention of Studebaker, who originated the idea. I like the "all-weather cargo area" with its "QuickDrain system." Wagonaires had that too - you just had to wait for the weatherstripping to shrink, the rain to pour in and the floor to rust out.

In tribute, another link to the original in working order:

http://www.ritzsite.net/63Stude/03_63stude.htm

and a cute Wagonaire game:

http://home.attbi.com/~gash99/testdrive/test_drive.htm

(Can you tell I like these cars, leaks and all?)

Ed

• Options
    I'm tellin' ya, Subaru needs to make Wagonaire. Check my comments over on the Baja thread.

Bob
  • Options
    jrabajraba Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    Still lurking about waiting to plunk down some cash on our 03 OB in the next few weeks (when and if the wife and I can get time to go together to the dealership). Anyway, in the meantime, I have been enjoying all the posts.

I know that there are a few cyclist frequenting this board and, for those who might be interested, I am reading a wonderful book entitled "French Revolutions" (I don't know how to underline or italicize on this stupid thing - advice welcome)written by Tim Moore and available on St. Martin's Press.

Basically, Tim Moore, a semi-out-of-shape 35 year old, decides to bicycle the route of the 2000 Tour de France six weeks before the actual tour begins. It is hilarious. Additionally, he provides a wonderful history of the tour as well as an interesting take on the sport, rural France, French culture, breath-taking scenery, and brutal mountain riding. It's humor, travel narrative and sports history all rolled into one.

Finally, the Tour so far has been remarkably good this year. You can catch it on OLN.

Sorry this doesn't really pertain to Subaru (although I do look for them in the mix of support vehicles). I just like to share information on good books. Check this one out.

- John
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I only saw 2 Subarus in France with French plates. All the rest we're UK plates
  • Options
    Bob: I knew what you meant. I was just saying that gives us 3 hitch options (total).

XUV? Great old idea. Terrible name, though. And instead of $40k, try $30k where people can actually afford it.

John: this is the Cafe, it doesn't have to pertain to Subaru. I've watched some of the footage on OLN myself.

-juice
  • Options
    I had fun with my 8 y.o. son on Sunday at the American Le Mans Series race at the [insert sponsor name here] Grand Prix in Washington, DC, this weekend. We walked around the track; in spots you're 20 feet from the cars, where the noise and vibration are penetrating. The expression of awe on his face was priceless.

We missed the ALMS start but he made it through two hours of high heat and humidity to watch the finish. The noise was intense and I had trouble with keeping his ear plugs inserted comfortably, but overall we had a good time. Plenty of water and an umbrella (though not in the grandstand) helped.

We enjoyed the race but for the time investment, we prefer air shows. Some day, though, he wants to see a rally. I'd like to go on a camping/rally trip, perhaps to Pennsylvania, some time.

"Daddy, I had a lot of fun."

Cheers,

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    I was gonna ask you about that, did you see Ian Ziereg (sp?) spin out? They were talking about it on the radio today. William Shattner looks over and says, "that's my car?" :-(

I may try to go next year.

Speaking of wrecks, though, a co-worker here autocrosses and track races his S2000 regularly, and plowed into a tire wall at Summit Point Raceway. Damage?

$18 grand.

He'd just put in new shocks/springs and took a turn too hot. He's lucky insurance is covering it, and he was not hurt seriously.

-juice
  • Options
    No, I didn't see the spin. Our grandstand perspective was the start/finish line. We couldn't see any corners, save what played on the viewscreens.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Was it televised, or will it be?

Lemme guess, Speedvision...

-juice
  • Options
    at least Sunday's race was on TV. Channel 4 (DC station), I think. I saw part of it.

Bob
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    re: S2000-

Owie Zowie. What event was it? NASA, FATT, or Car Guys?

A totalled car can only mean one thing- Turn #10

I love hearing people in the area bash BMW CCA's stringent instructor regs and "safty [non-permissible content removed]" rules. And yet we haven't had a single incident like THAT in 3 years. (Which, BTW was a modded M3 with a novice driver in, you guessed, it turn 10- led to a rules change barring R compounds from novices, since the guy didn't feel them breaking away until it was too late).
  • Options
    WebX had a problem when I tried to post this yesterday:

It was on live Sunday on NBC, I kid you not. On Saturday, CBS broadcast the Trans-Am Series. I saw some Fox Sports cameras, too. I was happy to see the local stations broadcasting live.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    I believe this guy works for a Toyota dealership. It looks like Toyota will be looking into more "different" types of "off-road" SUVs for the US market., including an Xterra competitor. Who said off-roading was dead here?

One of his quotes:

<< He also predicted Toyota would venture into lower volume off-road niche vehicles as well. "Cells of customers are attracted to specific products, as opposed to products that are one-size-fits-all," he said. "Thats why Xterra is doing so well." >>

I would love to see Subaru do the same...

Bob

rward99 "Toyota 4Runner" Jul 22, 2002 1:06pm
  • Options
    The Xterra isn't even that good offroad!

The big problem is not in the interest in offroading. It's the Environmental [non-permissible content removed] and the Rednecks. The Environazis see the Rednecks tearing up the forests and wildlife areas and that fuels their crusade to stop all ORV Trails.

It's a shame :(

Speaking of which bob, you should come up to the PB some time and ride along with us, I think you'd like it. Or even take your Explorer.

-mike
  • Options
    Loosh: I'll ask if it was turn 10. Saw a pic of his Stook on a flat bed, ouch!

He said it was an open track day, pay to play I guess.

Toyota has become a full-line manufacturer, the only Japanese brand to do so. They are part of the Big 4, in a way. Heck, did you notice the Celica is racing in some of the NASCAR subsidiaries?

Nissan is next, with the full pickup. Honda is holding out. IMO Subaru is too small to spread their resources that thin, but we'll see.

-juice
  • Options
    Finally got a print copy of that Business Week (July 15), and sure enough it's the cover story! Cool, I'm quoted on page 106.

-juice
  • Options
    If I had an off-road "beater," I'd love to go. However, I don't want to risk damage, body finish or otherwise (I've seen some of the stuff you go through). My off-roading is pretty much limited to the county landfill, and the Outer Banks of NC.

Bob
  • Options
    You can always come and ride along with some of us. I'm sure you'd enjoy it. :)

-mike
  • Options
    Is likely going to be an F150 clone IIRC. That is what was being tossed around a year or so ago.

-mike
  • Options
    they better have a v8. no point in a fullsize truck without one available, Toyota has proven that quite handily.

-Colin
  • Options
    ...add character. :-)

I still have sand in some places, so I can see Bob's point.

I don't think Nissan will clone a Ford. They aren't really associated, I think Renault owns Nissan.

They have a V8 block, from their Infiniti, a 4.3l. They could make an iron-block SOHC version of that engine and put it in a truck, and maybe use the SC XTerra's engine as the base.

-juice
  • Options
    from what I've read will not look like the F-150, at least none of their prototypes to date reflect that. I have no doubt that the styling will be "macho," over-the-top, and will be downright controversial to boot. I think it will have 5.0+ DOHC engine, something based on the current Infiniti V8, but larger and truck-tuned.

Bob
  • Options
    Nah, I say drop a cam and tune it for low-end torque. Buyers will care more about payload and tow ratings than 0-60 numbers.

-juice
  • Options
    But I doubt Nissan will do that (drop the cam, that is). The Tundra does fine with DOHC, and it still has good truck-torque for its displacement.

In fact, I think the Tundra V8 is the best sub-5.0L V8 out there for truck use. I think Nissan will take the Tundra engine formula, and just make a larger version of it. It's also rumored that Toyota is working on a 5.3L V8 for the Tundra, probably to be released for '04. I bet it too is just a larger version of their existing 4.7 V8.

Bob