Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    shaigshaig Member Posts: 14
    Finally closed on a deal for an '08 Sport in Seattle with Acura Bellevue. After all the aggravation, it turned out that the general manager was informed of our negative experience at his dealership by a friend and was good about taking action immediately to make up for it.

This Sunday, we closed on an '08 Sport for $47,730 (includes sport and dest) with:
    Roof rails
    Crossbars
    Bodyside moldings
    Reverse Sensors
    Tow Package

This is about the best I can find in the Northwest, and by my calculations comes in at $2300 over invoice + dest (which is $42,200). I did check the pricing on an 08 in other areas, and factoring shipping came in under $1100 delta, so it seems okay.

What made matters somewhat challenging is that the number of vehicles in sport are low, let alone the color combo Silver/Ebony.
  • Options
    smaayehsmaayeh Member Posts: 5
    David McDavid in Plano (Dallas)

2008 - base MDX

$38,875 + TTL

Thoughts???
  • Options
    nadarajahnadarajah Member Posts: 5
    I got similar offer in Houston, I required $500 lower to cover my option, roof rack and bodyside molding.
  • Options
    sleepysoosleepysoo Member Posts: 54
    Hi all...I actually leased my car yesterday, and I don't know if it makes any difference, but I just wanted to post here what I got the car for. Since it was a lease, I didn't have to figure out all the other financial stuff, but I did get a good bottom line on the car. I always deal with the total price of the car instead of monthly payments, so I hope this helps.

2008 MDX Tech package
    Price of the car: $40,100.

I don't know how that calculates between a lease and financing, but I figured that the bottom line on a car would be the same regardless of lease or buy? Just wanted to throw this number out to you...
  • Options
    jeffreyljeffreyl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I do have a question though, I thought "fully loaded" would be the sport and entertainment package which listed at over $47K and the the tech/ent package you stated you bought was about $45K MSRP. Could you clarify? Thanks
  • Options
    jeffreyljeffreyl Member Posts: 2
    Two questions:

1. My understanding is that the sport/entertainment package is the option which includes everything (sport,tech and entertainment) and is the highest level of options. Is this correct.

2. Anyone know what the actual invoice is on a 2008 with everything?

Thanks
  • Options
    jobaliajobalia Member Posts: 1
    We are trying to get a good deal on a 2007 MDX but sounds like they got the 08 models in quicker than they thought and now theres not much inventory left. We are looking for a light interior (taupe) and I am flexible with colors but hubby prefers black and silver. Also, we were really only interested in Tech and Entertainment packages but we're only finding ones with Sport and Entertainment so dunno if we should spend the extra money..?
    Heres what I am finding (these are prices without any negotiations so far)

At John Eagle
    07 MDX with Sport/Entertainment - Silver/taupe - DEMO model with 2800 miles - asking price is 44850 + dest + TTL

At Sterling Mccall
    07 MDX with Sport/Entertainment - Silver/taupe - has 1950 miles but they plan on just selling it as "new" - they said that MSRP on that is 48465 + dest + TTL but they will "negotiate"

Any thoughts on prices?

Thanks
  • Options
    dealshopper29dealshopper29 Member Posts: 3
    That seems high for a base model. Any other quotes on an '07 or '08 tech and navi?
  • Options
    stetsonbustetsonbu Member Posts: 14
    Hi Kmall,

What was the name of the Internet Saleswoman you worked with at Rosenthal Acura?

We live near Baltimore and want the best deal in town! :-)

Did you pay invoice?

Thanks!
  • Options
    dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    http://www.costcoauto.com/research/results.aspx?modelid=16799&modelyear=2007

Find the invoice price, then deduct $500 = $Price + Title + Tax
  • Options
    jaffmanjaffman Member Posts: 51
    anyone have the invoice of an 08 mdx w/ tech and entertain pkgs? Thanks.
  • Options
    ivanl3ivanl3 Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know when/where invoice prices for 2008 MDX's are (will be) available? They are not on Edmunds or Kelly yet. Dealer refuses to divulge the info.. I am surprised the dealers have the cars already and Kelly and Edmunds don't have the info posted.
  • Options
    epineyepiney Member Posts: 462
    Add about $275 to the 2007 invoice prices and you will be close enough.
  • Options
    momcar72momcar72 Member Posts: 1
    I went to a St. Louis dealer today and he quoted me $44,600 for a 2008 MDX with the tech package and entertainment. The sticker is around $46,000. This doesn't seem like a great deal. What should I counter offer with? There is one other Acura dealer in town too that I need to check. How much over invoice are other people paying for this car?
  • Options
    zoom13zoom13 Member Posts: 1
    Last week - We bought a 2007 Sport at John Eagle - the car listed for 47276 (tint,nitrogen,bsm,moon roof visor were the options on the car) - we bought it for 42785 and plan to have the headrest dvd entertainment units installed at a later date (quote from John Eagle $1985).

I think you'll find it very hard find a deal in the Houston area - good luck!
  • Options
    vanmdxvanmdx Member Posts: 2
    Hello mdxtech,

I live in Vancouver, WA, area and is looking for a MDX tech pkg. So far I had difficulty get a OTD price lower than $41400. Would you mind sharing where you got your deal and the name of the salesperson?

Thank You
  • Options
    rostikbrostikb Member Posts: 8
    Hey everyone. Can someone share their experiences with prices and dealerhip names, etc.

Thanks!
  • Options
    pnowakpnowak Member Posts: 1
    Bought an 07 tech/ent, black/taupe from Hubler Acura for $42,300, which is $205 over invoice. They gave me $300 for my 20 year old Dodge Dakota, knocking it down to $42,000. We were happy with the price and experience. I emailed 3 dealers in Indiana, told them what we were looking for, that we would be making a purchase that week and asked for their bottom line price...also said we had no intention of extensive negotiation. Heard from two and went with lowest...and believe we got a good deal.
  • Options
    nonamemnonamem Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post so please bear with me.

I bought a Nimbus Grey '07 MDX with Tech+Ent about a week ago and paid a similar price. I paid $42650 which included options like roof rack, auto dimming mirror and wheel locks installed.

Thanks to the forum members for helping me with the price.

Here are some interesting facts about my purchase
    - Sealed the deal in about 30 minutes over the phone with a few email quotes the day before.
    - I never test drove the SUV until an hr before I actually signed the papers. Certainly very happy with the purchase.

If anyone plans to purchase in the Bay Area, I would certainly recommend Hopkins Acura of Fairfield. Tareq Samaha and Will Smith were excellent people to work with. Will even drove 40+ miles to take me back to the store to complete the sales.

Acura of Concord is also good place and Terry Dudley was very responsive.
  • Options
    I would try $40.5K to start and finish @ $$41K. I do believe Honda gives the dealer $2K, so the invoice price will be $40.5K.

I plan to get 07 MDX SE with gold color for $42.5K, no luck yet :mad:
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Cars.com has Invoice info

2008 MDX

Model:........MSRP:.....Invoice:
    4dr AWD 3.7L..........$40,195.....$36,514
    4dr AWD 3.7L Technology Package..........$43,695.....$39,688
    4dr AWD 3.7L Sport Package..........$45,795.....$41,592
  • Options
    dhza8dhza8 Member Posts: 5
    2008 Sport / Ent with dealer installed options

Breakdown:

Vehicle: $45,096
    Delivery: $715
    Running boards: $651 (installed)
    Body side moldings: $358 (installed)
    Back-up sensors: $775 (installed)
    Cargo cover: $149
    Cargo tray: $106
    All-weather mats:$99

Total vehicle price: $47,949

NJ Sales tax: $3,356
    MV Tire fee: $7.50
    Online reg: $7.70
    NJ Supplemental Titling fee: $191.80
    Doc: $156

Out the door: $52,000
    Delivery in late Oct/Nov
  • Options
    wsnycwsnyc Member Posts: 6
    We recently purchased a base 2008 MDX. We compared quotes from at least 8-10 dealerships in the NY/NJ area for about a month. Finally went with Acura of Manhattan who matched the lowest quote from other dealers. Of all those we had communication with I would say that Acura of Ramsey, NJ, Auto Mall in Brooklyn, and Acura of Manhattan were the best to work with as far as consistant communication and providing quotes through email. Our whole approach was through email and phone calls and it worked out to be a good overall purchasing experience for us. We did not receive any high pressure sales pitches for things we did not want from Manhattan.
  • Options
    teeitup2teeitup2 Member Posts: 6
    Looking at the prices for your options,they seemed both higher and lower than dealer data. Did you find a site where the invoice or discounted options prices were listed. As an example, I am interested in the towing, dealer told me it was about $1000 option, but other sites listed at $716,I am confused. Acura site list side moldings at $239,but your listing showed higher number. What is best site for option prices, with more info that just dealer or MSRP numbers. Tx.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Some of the difference may be due to the parts price only vs. the installed price. The towing option, for example, would probably take several hours to install.
  • Options
    ceeleeceelee Member Posts: 1
    Hi All

We just bought a 2007 MDX base paid $40,500 + Tax, M.V. & Doc fee. Overall our experience at Springfield Acura was very good. Our salesperson Calvin Moore was great, very straight forward. We are happy happy :)
  • Options
    smaayehsmaayeh Member Posts: 5
    wsnyc - How much did you pay?
  • Options
    Very observant. The Cargo Cover was not discounted, for some reason -- I overlooked that item during discussions with the dealership. The Cargo Tray is $135 list (vs my $106), All Season Floor Mats are $135 (vs my $99). The Backup Sensors are $570 list (I got $775 with installation), Running Boards are $579 (I got $651 with installation) and the Body Side Moldings are $239 (I got $358 with installation).

I know of no reference for the dealer options other than the list prices. Making allowance for 4-5 hours of installation, the deal -- all in -- comes in at around 6% off MSRP -- a little more without considering the options, a little less with them rolled in.

I'm pretty satisfied -- looks like the best deal so far on this board for an '08.
  • Options
    stetsonbustetsonbu Member Posts: 14
    Hi ethlee1992,

I also live in Maryland and am looking for the best deal in the state and it sounds like you got a steal! Can you please email me the name of the salesperson you worked with to stetsonbu@hotmail.com?

This would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
    Jason
  • Options
    All you have to do is go to the following website and find the INVOICE price of the model you like to buy

http://www.costcoauto.com/

then you start 95% of invoice price to negotiate with the dealer(prefer the big one). Your target price should around 97% of invoice price. :P

I am $200 off the deal on 08 MDX Sport Entertainment, the dealer said $42,478.42 + TTL + Tax.

My understanding is the dealer will get at least $2K from Acura. I only ask for $1306 off the invoice, and they keep $694, nothing wrong with that, right? :D

Base Invoice $43,586.00
    First Bid: $41,406.70
    Final Bid: $42,278.42<<<<<<

I do appreciate any suggestion on wether I should add more $$ for 08 MDX SE
  • Options
    epineyepiney Member Posts: 462
    I am $200 off the deal on 08 MDX Sport Entertainment, the dealer said $42,478.42 + TTL + Tax.

You mean they are not going to charge you the $715 destination charge?
  • Options
    Already included. Please just ignore that destination stuff. U may pay them extra $300 if u want. My driveaway price will be $42500+TTL+TAX ;)
  • Options
    rostikbrostikb Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the experience. Can you please tell me how much did you pay for that base '08 MDX? Was it just the base or did you still have any options in it. Can you also please share with me a few steps about your approach: how did you come up with the price you thought was desirable, etc.?

what about fees: what fees and how much did you pay at the signing?

all feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Ross
  • Options
    We paid $42,129 all inclusive for the base model Sterling Gray Metallic with roof rails, all weather mats, and cargo net.
  • Options
    For a 2007 base model MDX we were determined not to pay over the invoice price of $36,266. So any that were not near that we quickly eliminated. About 5 were in the ballpark so we worked with them. After a few back and forth emails we actually had a quote for an out the door cost of about $40,500. But then we saw the new color Sterling Metallic Gray and wanted that as our first choice. We knew we would not get the same deal on a 2008 that we had on the 2007 and a few of the dealers as much said that.

We reasoned that a 2007 would be a one year old vehicle by 1/1/08 so we were willing to pay a little more for the 2008. I arbitrarily picked about $1,500 more we were will to pay. Although I know it is not an exact science, but I also had in mind that Edmund's posts the first year depreciation at about 12%. We waited to see who would have a 2008 in the color we wanted first. Manhattan was the first to have one and I got a quote from them on the base model with roof rails, all weather mats, and cargo net for $43,500 all costs included. We emailed Auto Mall in Brooklyn and they came back with a quote of $42,129. But they did not have the color we wanted and would not have it for 4 weeks. We called Ramsey, NJ but they did not quote right away and the car was available from Acura of Manhattan. They matched the Brooklyn quote. I figured we paid about $900 above invoice for the base 2008 MDX with the 3 accessories. We were happy with the result and we got the car the next week.

Ramsey, NJ did come back with a quote of $41,914 but it was after we had already made our down payment. There would have been an additional $100 doc fee so we would have only saved about $115. We are 4 miles from the Manhattan dealership, and that made it worthwhile for us. Ramsey, Brooklyn, and Manhattan were all good to work with. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kurtkbeekurtkbee Member Posts: 22
    I must admit that i really like this SUV, i test drove it and am considering whether or not to buy it. However, i detest the exterior of the MDX always have, it looks too much like a minivan ( just higher and shorter), so to me the curb appeal needs to be addressed, but the internal features are top notch and for the price it makes me want to forgive the minivan like look.

Anyway i wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good dealer in the Pennington,NJ area. I have a trade-in 04 honda accord coupe (NAV/leather/v6) and think that now that the shape of the accords have changed it makes sense to trade-in now (i find that a styling change causes the older shape to devalue faster)

Also does it make sense to wait for next year to see if they do anything about improving the Mileage on the MDXs next year (this is also abysmal).
  • Options
    Wow. Below invoice for an '08 -- already? I have not seen any indication that there's a holdback for '08s. For a good seller, that has to be the only reason to sell that low.

What dealership in what state, please? The best deal on this board last week for an '08 was 5% off MSRP. Mine was at 6% off. Congratulations!
  • Options
    jsfox1999jsfox1999 Member Posts: 3
    $42.5 for an 08 MDX with Sport/Entertainment?

Please tell me where you got this deal. I'm in the Boston area and can't find a dealer willing to let one go for less than $46K. Even on an 07 sport/ent I'm getting quoted $44K.

(unfortunately the costco program has no participating dealers in New England)
  • Options
    vanmdxvanmdx Member Posts: 2
    Thank you dreamcar5 for the good info. Since there are only two Acura dealer in Portland, OR, area, it's a bit tough to get a good deal like California, where competitions between dealers drive the price down.

Bought a 07 Tech Pack MDX Sunday for $41300, which is about $200 or so less than the Costco price. I had tried to haggle it down to below $41,000 but was met with great resistance.

Anyhow, I think $41,300 is a pretty resonable good deal in the NW.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    All you have to do is enter the different zip code to find the "designated" dealers from Costco site. Call them to test the "water". If lucky, they want you $2000 deposit on credit card over the phone.

These dealers will tell you that invoice price + $500? + TTL + Tax at the most. But they NEVER disclose how much Acura provides incentive/rebate to them. I think this incentive/rebate should be shared with you. My estimate is about $2000 to $3000/car.

The manufacturing cost is about $20000/car assume the plant reaches its economy of scale, then add overheads, dealer rebate and "minimum margin" etc, the invoice price zooms up to $43K.

The dealer needs to make $1000, so they should make a deal with you around $42.5K.($43K - $2K = $41K as the break even for the dealer) You are not entitled to overpay their "unjustifiable" cost. :D
  • Options
    But you need to ask them how much Acura pays the dealer per car as "sales bonus". This will make them humble enough to be more "realistic" on the price.

$39433(base invoice)- $2000(rebate total) + $1200(dealer portion on rebate) = $36633

I would rather wait for $37K. ;)
  • Options
    jsfox1999jsfox1999 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Dreamcar. So is this rebate/incentive/sales bonus the same thing as a "holdback"?

The closest Costco dealer to me was in in LI, NY and he quoted me $300 over invoice + cost on my options..(about $45K)
  • Options
    Just ask him the question "How much $$ you get from Acura", make a deal 50/50 or 60/40. If all buyers insist NOT paying more(hard ball), the price will be down. ;)
  • Options
    charlieboscharliebos Member Posts: 1
    dreamcar5

take a look at Claire in Norwood/Walpole. I am working with them they seems pretty good.
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I'm looking at an untitled 2007 MDX Sport with 6K miles. Salesperson claims this demo was driven by dealership owner's wife. I've been quoted $42K, which is basically invoice of a brand new car. MSRP is $46,265. I'm considering offering $40K. Color is Aspen pearl with Parchment-- a combo which every dealer seems to have leftover (as well as Billet silver with Ebony). Color is not paramount to my decision, but I think Aspen pearl reminds me of a Mary Kay Cadillac-- or at least a Cadillac. So why are these two color combos apparently undesirable, and should I base my offer accordingly?
  • Options
    mrhupmobilemrhupmobile Member Posts: 10
    Could you please name the dealership & the salesperson?
  • Options
    teeitup2teeitup2 Member Posts: 6
    I am also shopping for MDX in Twin Cities. Dealers do not seem in hurry to come down,at least to range of invoice numbers. Do you think going outstate or in surronding states would lead to better prices, and if so, are there readers of this forum that could suggest areas within 300-400 miles of Twin Cities, such as Chicago, that would be better to deal with.I tried Costco and it came up with no dealers here. Maybe life is "too" good locally for auto dealers.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    "Salesperson claims this demo was driven by the dealership owner's wife" That sounds like a quote right out of the car salesman's handbook. I think that's the same demo that I leaned on pretty hard when I test drove it. I would personally stay away from demos regardless of price.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Funny... one of my last visits resulted in my dealer trying to sell me on an RL they had.
    That was also driven by the owner's wife.

Yes, it's probably true, but I can't help thinking that maybe... just maybe, if these owner's wives got jobs and paid for their own rides, my cost at the dealership would be slightly less... without this ridiculous overhead. :P
  • Options
    sportmdxsportmdx Member Posts: 2
    The dealer was Sussman Acura in PA, but I'm not going to lie to you....the experience after signing the papers has been absolutely horrible. Too long to go into detail.