Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ratrace26ratrace26 Member Posts: 4
    Free the Details...it may someone else checking this list.

I purchased my 2007 MDX in Jacksonville FL - overall very good experience. Only negative was with the finance "mgr". After I stated NO to additional warranty and he still tried to push - I just stared back at him with an (are u a friggin' dumbass look). A second time I turned to my wife and commented to her openly (as though he was not in the room ) that "man this guy is SLOW". It's kind of fun if you know what you want to do ahead of time, have been thru the process before, and treat their BS as a game and never take that crap personally.
  • Options
    08mdxsport08mdxsport Member Posts: 2
    I am in contract on an 08 MDX Sport in the new Sterling Grey Metalic color. The transaction is in California (Power Acura South Bay) and was negotiated through CarsDirect.com

The cars direct price in this zip code was pretty good. The problem I had with competing dealers is that they wanted a fortune to install the dealer accessories. Cars direct had what I think are GREAT prices on the accessories.

I know I could get a 2007 for a bit less but I wanted the new color and I figured the 2008 is worth a bit more as it is not a year old yet.

Here are the exact figures. The accessory prices include installation.

08 MDX Sport: $43,256
    Sport Run Boards: 559.85
    Roof Rails & Cross Bars: 409.34
    Lower Front Garnish: 328.90
    Body Side Molding: 247.75
    Cargo Cover: 137.37
    Cargo tray: $123.07
    Bicycle Receiver: 570.80

Total: $45,633.08 Plus tax/license

Note, the bicycle reciever is instead of the towing package. Its a bit cheaper and I can plug in a bike rack just like you would plug in a towing ball/hitch. It is not suitable for towing as far as I know. Certainly it does not include the wiring necessary for towing a trailer. Note also that the roof rails and cross bars are apparently offered at a package price for 2008. Previously I have always seen them priced independently.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Is there anyone more despised in the Acura showroom than the "Finance Manager"? Mine tried to get me to buy the rust proofing on our '04. When purchasing the '07 I told the salesman not to let him within twenty feet of me. :mad:
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers who purchased a car recently instead of waiting, fearing that prices may rise as the dollar weakens. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 1, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
  • Options
    mdxtimesthreemdxtimesthree Member Posts: 13
    i have an 04 mdx and i'm looking at the 08 ...its a much better vehicle but what are the real driving and everyday differences in the different levels after the base model?
    has anyone driven all 4? i'm trying to reconcile the $$$
    differences versus what you really get for your dollar
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    This really isn't a 'prices paid' question, but I'll quickly give you my opinion: There are really only two driving differences: Sport and not-Sport. I test-drove a Sport, and found the Sport mode somewhat harsh. I would probably use the Comfort setting most of the time, so the additional cost of the Sport model would be wasted on me (even though I love the upgraded leather and prefer the wheels). For most people, even the base model is probably the best-handling SUV you'll find--other than Porsche. Instead of Sport-- and for the same money-- I'd rather have the Tech & Entertainment pkgs. (Sport includes the Tech pkg). But, then again, if I didn't have two kids, the Entertainment Pkg wouldn't be much interest to me.
    (A brief rant: It is maddening that Entertainment Pkg must be purchased in order to get power rear door-- a feature my $33K Toyota Sienna has).
  • Options
    mdellis33mdellis33 Member Posts: 3
    heyward1, the Sport has 2 modes, Sport and Comfort. Do not assume that putting the Sport in Comfort mode makes it ride like a non-Sport model. That is not the case...not even close. Test drive both and you will feel the difference in either mode. I have a 2008 Sport/Ent and I test drove both the Sport and non-Sport before deciding on the Sport. I do prefer the Comfort mode and always keep it on that setting.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    mdellis33,

So you are saying that there is a noticable difference between the Comfort mode on the Sport and the fixed ride on the non-Sport. I assume you mean the Sport's Comfort mode offers a smoother, more comfortable ride? When driving in Comfort mode, wow much handling ability do you give up compared to the non-Sport's fixed setting?
  • Options
    To be fair they both ride great. Some people, like my wife, will barely notice a difference. Others swear by the Sport. We test drove the non-Sport and then a Sport to see the difference. The Sport was a little smoother but I think they're both great rides. My wife wanted the Sport more for premium leather and I wanted liked the ride a little better so we paid the extra $2K for the Sport.

Since this is the Prices Paid forum here are my numbers:

2008 Sterling Grey Sport/Ent
    Vehicle: $45,401 includes delivery and dealers doc fee
    Sport Running Boards: $515(installed)
    Roof Rail: $228 (installed)
    Front Lower Garnish: $305 (installed)
    All-weather mats: $102

Total vehicle price: $46,551 + TTL

I'm in the Kansas City area and I didn't have a trade-in.

I think I could have negotiated a lot more off the vehicle but I was running up against the end of the 2.9% finance incentive on the 2007/8's which ended Sep 4th. I was able to get the incentive even though my car had not even been built.
  • Options
    dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    Buy the Sport!

The question isn't about harshness of ride, it's about handling. The Sport has an active suspension, that is, it gets softer or harder multiple times a second. Each wheel is adjusted separately. You will notice it when you go around a corner or slam on your breaks. The vehicle stays flat. I, too, leave it in comfort mode most of the time. But, even still, the handling is much improved. I thought it was a bargain on the MDX. The other vehicle I was looking at, the SRX, wanted $1,600 for the magnetic ride (active suspension). It's worth the money and you will enjoy the vehicle so much more. Enjoy.
  • Options
    mdxtimesthreemdxtimesthree Member Posts: 13
    i appreciate your input,i think i'll go with the sport.

one other thing i have to ask. is anyone having problems with visability? i'm driving the 04 mdx and i've gotten use to it and the 07 and 08 are a lot different viewpoint wise.

thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    Your welcome. Definately buy the sport. Everyone buys the video player. For 100$ you can buy one and put it between the seats. You can't buy a better suspension for $100!!! Also, you get nicer leather, the center console has less cheap plastic and more metal, and self leveling headlights (although I still can't figure out when they are leveling). Another plus is the improved rims, which are really easy to clean and better tires, although someone on the post had a problem with their tires, mine are good.

Visability, I never drove the old model, I was coming from a SAAB 9-5 which had great visability. I used to drive an Explorer and before that and S10 Blazer. I think it is fine, but it's a big vehicle. I don't have a problem seeing out of it, I am 6'1", my wife loves it and she thinks she is 5'5" (not a chance, but I'm no idiot, she wants to be 5'5", fine by me).

Enjoy. I do recommend you look carefully at the actual vehicle you are going to buy. I didn't and I regret it. Mine has had NO mechanical problems, but far to many annoying careless fit and finish issues.
  • Options
    I think Car & Driver noted that the 'Sport' setting was for "Masochists only." I also found it too firm. So I'm not sure I can justify paying the extra money when I'm only going to use only the Comfort mode. I personally couldn't tell much difference between a Base model and Sport model in 'Comfort' mode. I may end up getting a Sport model, though. It's all dealers in my area seem to have left.

I agree that the Sport rims will be easier to clean. Sport leather, as I said, is definitley nicer. However, I can't imagine the mess if one of my kids spilled something and in went down into all those little holes! ;)
  • Options
    lausylausy Member Posts: 14
    I just traded in my 03 for an 08 today. The visibility is the same, but the ride on the 08 Sport is much nicer and the seat is much more comfortable. I paid $44,800 plus TTL for my Sport/Ent and got $16,000 for my 03 Navi/DVD with 89K miles which was about 500 above kbb trade in for good condition. I wouldn't say my 03 was in good condition since there were dings on the doors and small scratch on the bumper and 2 stars on the windshield so I am really happy with my deal.
  • Options
    gregoryokcgregoryokc Member Posts: 2
    mdellis33,

I am also in the KC area, could you please let us know which dealer you used, and did you use a broker or buying service in order to get these prices, i.e 2008 MDX Sport/Ent at $2494 off MSRP, (47995-45501=2494).

Thanks!
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    44,800 for 2008 Sports and Entertainment is a great deal from what I am looking at on Long Island. In ny, I had Westchester tell me they would not go 3K under sticker for a Tech with Entertainment. Anyone have any different recent experience in the NYC area?
  • Options
    notrust2k3notrust2k3 Member Posts: 4
    Okay, just did a marathon session of calling around to dealers, looking for a bargain on a 2007 closeout. Here's what I got: 2007 MDX Sport + Entertainment - White/Parchment (it's for my wife) with roof rack and crossbars and side molding - no trade-in (i'll sell it separately) - total price = $44,696 + TTL. Car has 283 miles on it (must have been used as demo). This was from Ardmor Acura (my second time to buy from them!) Was not able to get a better deal anywhere else in the Philadelphia/NJ/Maryland area, though I did seriously consider a $42,000 quote on a Tech + Entertainment model (no sport). When I was calling around, one dealer in MD did offer to sell a sport + ent at invoice = $43,996, but it wasn't worth the drive for me... Oh, and a dealer in NJ did offer a 2008 Tech + Entertainment at 43,700. Hope this helps someone!
  • Options
    gregoryokc,
    I went to Superior Acura and I did not use any kind of service just dealt with the internet sales guy over the phone. Good luck.
  • Options
    lausylausy Member Posts: 14
    Have you tried Montgomery Acura? When I shopped, they were offering invoice also for the 07. With 283 miles on it, it must be a demo or test driven many times. I personally would worry about it because we all know how we test drive cars when we know we are not buying it. 08's are actually starting to come down closer to invoice so it's worth looking into.
  • Options
    You know, I've read this kind of comment on these forums time and again. But, personally, I would not hesitate to buy a "demo" with 283 miles-- or even 2,830 miles, as long as the price were commensurate with the odometer. I don't know about you, but I have never taken a test drive without the salesperson along for the ride. I mean, really, how much vehicle off-roading and abuse do you think a salesperson would tolerate? I don't see any more risk than I would with buying a 'new' Chevy from my local dealership that has been cold-started, and then driven for only 2 minutes while rotated to a different area of the lot every five days for the last six months.
  • Options
    notrust2k3notrust2k3 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I did talk with Montgomery Acura, and they were a close second in my decision-making. With stock of 07 models dwindling, they simply didn't have the colors we wanted. Also, I spoke with a different dealer about the implication of a car having 283 miles. He said that having some miles was normal for almost any car - he said that oftentimes they do transfers of cars between dealers - sometimes this is not on a flatbed, but actually driven. That can add miles right there. He said it shouldn't be anything to worry about (thousands of miles is different than a few hundred - and the price should be lowered to match). Cheers!
  • Options
    dakineguydakineguy Member Posts: 46
    What do you like about the Sport suspension?
  • Options
    firstkidcomingfirstkidcoming Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?

I am in St Louis looking at an MDX. The dealer is offering me the following on a certified pre-owned with 10K miles.

07 MDX Tech + Entertainment: $41K
    Includes: Sport Run Boards
    Roof Rails
    Body Side Molding
    Cargo tray
    Door guards and Floor Mats

If not, any suggestions where to look?
  • Options
    I have an offer for 42.4 for an '07 Tech and Entertainment new but with none of the goodies you mentioned. For an extra 1200, dealer said he'd do an '08 so I think that's what I am going to do because the 1,200 will, I think, come back when I get rid of the car.
  • Options
    dealshopper29dealshopper29 Member Posts: 3
    That seems awfully high for a pre-owned '07 with 10K miles...I would run that through KBB et al to get a value.
  • Options
    ivanl3ivanl3 Member Posts: 30
    2008 MDX Base
    MSRP=$40,910
    Price paid : Invoice = $37,229 (includes destination)
    48 mo lease.
    15K Miles
    Residual = 51%
    Money Factory = .00260
    Monthly Payment = $536.26
    Due at signing = First Month ($536.25) + Acqusition Fee ($648.55 including Tax) + Tag Transfer, etc ($113.95) = $1298.76

I could have gotten a lower MF (.00250) if I wanted to pay a security payment.

No-one should pay more than invoice for the MDX right now.
  • Options
    chaosattractorchaosattractor Member Posts: 16
    "No-one should pay more than invoice for the MDX right now."

Why? So I know when going into negotiations.
  • Options
    B/c there are dealers out there willing to sell them at invoice. I should qualify my comments that my expereince is limited to the base model. If you are buying one of the other trims, I suspect the same to be true, but cannot say for sure.
  • Options
    sleepysoosleepysoo Member Posts: 54
    well, i leased my 08 MDX and the final price i negotiated was at invoice (40,100) for the MDX with Tech...actually, i think it's a little under invoice. so, i'm with ivanl3...but not sure about the other models!
  • Options
    I think sleepysoo is in California. Not sure where Ivan is but I don't think that kind of pricing is available in the North East. I'd be happy to hear someone say differently.

Bill
  • Options
    tx36368tx36368 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to say thank you - this forum helped tremendously in helping me secure what I think is a fair deal.

2008 MDX Sterling Grey with ebony interior
    MSRP = $40,910
    Not sure what price paid is but this it is below $37,500
    Residual is something like 24k
    10k a year for 42 months (I never go beyond 7k a year)
    Paid $3190 Due at Signing (1st payment $492, Taxes $1835, Title $103, Acq $595, DMV Plate $160)
    No money down
    Monthly $493

I am in NY. Went to 4 different dealers and no one came close to this. Sales guy was terrific.
  • Options
    Please tell what dealers you went to and which you ultimately selected. Sounds like you are around 2.5 thousand under, which is around where I am (3 thousand for tech and ent). I just don't see or hear NY area being "at invoice" as was suggested.
  • Options
    tx36368tx36368 Member Posts: 2
    What is Invoice for Base? Are you in NY? 3k under sounds great. Did you purchase or lease. Unfortunately the best I can suggest is use Edmunds and pit them against each other. You will come down to a number you are satisfied with. Rally and Island Acura had the best service. Later being the best.
  • Options
    I don't know what invoice is for '08 -- hard to tell but people in the lease forum seem to know. I am familiar with both of those dealerships you mentioned. The msrp on 07 was 46365 with invoice of 42095 and difference of 4,270. I've assumed 08 is comparable so if msrp is 46,610, invoice around 42,310 then 3,000 off (or 43,610) still leaves over 1,300. Westchester called me today and said invoice was around 43 so they would not sell for under 44 as they had to make at least 1,000 per car. I told them no need to call me back. I think if I am 3,000 under msrp for this area, I am about what is okay, though, again, I wish someone would prove me wrong. Anyone know what AAA pricing is on these?
  • Options
    08mdxsport08mdxsport Member Posts: 2
    I posted a week ago I was in contract to buy an 08 mdx sport. However, when I went to pick up the car the dealer backed into another vehicle causing damage. I refused the car and started over. The dealer I was working with was not particularly helpful.

Unfortunately, there are no 08 Sports available in California at the moment in the Sterling Grey Metalic. Therefore I upgraded to the Sport/Ent package. Not really what I wanted but that's what I am getting. Pricing info is as follows:

08 MDX Sport/ent: $45,006
    Sport Run Boards: 559.85
    Roof Rails & Cross Bars: 409.34
    Lower Front Garnish: 328.90
    Body Side Molding: 247.75
    Cargo Cover: 137.37
    Cargo tray: $123.07
    Bicycle Receiver: 570.80

Total: $47,383.08 Plus tax/license

The car alone has a sticker price of 48710 (including destination charge). The price I got on the car is roughly $704 over invoice and $3704 under sticker.

The accessories are discounted and include installation. However its hard to find much objective information on what a competitive price is.

Hope this info helps the shoppers out there.
  • Options
    Thanks. Based on the price of the car alone, it seems like a good price to me. I'm looking at 1102 over invoice on tech and entertainment (based on prices on cars.com -- Thanks Ivan).
  • Options
    suvbuyer2suvbuyer2 Member Posts: 3
    Looking in NJ for tech and ent 2008. Don't have invoice prices..what dealership in NJ did you get the tech/ent quote from? Thank you.
  • Options
    Hey Bill.....I am in the Northeast. Got the deal Motorworld in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
  • Options
    bearbrookebearbrooke Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase the MDX with all the toys and wanted to get an opinion on some items. For the 19 inch wheels, alloy or chrome? Will alloy be more durable? What colors would be good resale colors for this car? I know with BMW X5 it is black and silver.

Also, did anyone experience a wide range of pricing from dealers? I had one dealer quote $2,800 more than another one for the same vehicle--makes me mad.

Anyway, would welcome opinions.

Krist
  • Options
    manthony33manthony33 Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted to thank CeeLee in an earlier post. I think I've been on every dealer site and spoke to every dealership in NJ, and because my credit is bad, I've been getting the run around.

CeeLee said go and check out Springfield Acura in NJ for the best price and I did. I spoke to Calvin over there and told him that my credit is in the dumps, but he walked me through the entire lease process and I think I got a really good deal.

I got my Lease with a $1500 below MSRP discount and I was showed that if I was Super Preferred Credit, I would pay $660 with the dealer making only a $500 profit...I got $673 with strained credit when everybody else was telling me $715 to $735 for a Tech/Ent.
  • Options
    Just wanted to thank CeeLee in an earlier post. I think I've been on every dealer site and spoke to every dealership in NJ, and because my credit is bad, I've been getting the run around.

CeeLee said go and check out Springfield Acura in NJ for the best price and I did. I spoke to Calvin over there and told him that my credit is in the dumps, but he walked me through the entire lease process and I think I got a really good deal.

I got my Lease with a $1500 below MSRP discount and I was showed that if I was Super Preferred Credit, I would pay $660 with the dealer making only a $500 profit...I got $673 with strained credit when everybody else was telling me $715 to $735 for a Tech/Ent.
  • Options
    Just got my Tech/Ent from Springfield Acura you can read my post just a couple down from this one.
  • Options
    Hi,

I am being told by Springfield Acura that there is a documentation fee of 189. Anybody else pay that? He also mentioned some other fee of 200. Anybody else know about those? Thanks

Bill
  • Options
    Here's what the invoice says: Documentary fee: Computer time $81, Administrative Clerical $89, Delivery Documentation $19. There is a reference to a paragraph on the back of the form, that I don't have. My thought is it can always be waived but dealer is saying he can't because if he does, must be waived by everyone.
  • Options
    Yes I had to pay that too. They went over all of that with me, Doc Fee, Motor Vehicle, NJ Tire, and Tax...they tried to hit me with Destination but that was waived.
  • Options
    Thanks, Manthony. Then when you said $500 over invoice, was that before or after the fees? It isn't clear to me whether those are part of what you referred to as invoice?
  • Options
    Well Calvin showed me the MSRP and what he called the tissue of the car, which he said was the invoice??? He added $500 which was his commission and that was that.
  • Options
    You said you paid the fee of 189 too on top of that, right? Also, as to invoice, I showed 42,398 for tech and entertainment, which includes the destination. Does that sound right? If so, your cost for the car was about 42,898, before the fee.
  • Options
    Correct.
  • Options