Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    acuramdx8acuramdx8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy the 2008 MDX Sport/Ent and the final quote i could get is 46.6+TTL With options including the following options
    Black/Black
    Gold Emblem
    roof rack
    cross bars
    all season mats
    sport running boards
    cargo tray
    cargo net
    side moldings
    third wireless headset
    wlocks

Is this a good deal or not?
    whats the price others are paying in MASS area.
    Did anybody get a better deal if so please let me know.
    acuratech what was the price you paid ?

Thanks
  • Options
    acuramdx8acuramdx8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I am sorry about my previous post. Its 46.6 walk out of the door. Inclusive of everything.
    Please let me know if this is a good deal or not?

Thanks all
  • Options
    lbggnglbggng Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Harrisburg PA and the lowest price I've gotten on the MDX tech is 41005 plus tax. please tell me where Radley and Pohanka are located. Are they people or dealerships? I'd be willing to drive to VA or ship for a much better price.
    thanks
  • Options
    what is the invoice price?
  • Options
    kupitautokupitauto Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum (Great forum!) and would appreciate if anyone can share what best offer s/he got for Sport/Ent. I live in Bay Area and my best offer so far after emailing quote request was 44,700 (+TTL)which is about $500 above invoice if I am correct. I have little clue what current market looks like in Bay Area and how much lower I should negotiate.
    Thanks in advance!

KO
  • Options
    flevyflevy Member Posts: 18
    They are both in Northern Virginia. Radley is in Falls Church (about 5 miles southwest of DC) and Pohanka is in Chantilly (about 25 miles west of DC).
  • Options
    Ok, thanks. Haven't been successful at nailing down invoice price for MDX base and Tech, 2008 models. Could you tell me?
  • Options
    scuba01scuba01 Member Posts: 29
    $40,400 - Invoice
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I too had hard time finding but was directed to Cars.com, which showed invoice at 39,688 + 715 destination. Entertainment option adds 1,995 to invoice.
  • Options
    parlemdxparlemdx Member Posts: 1
    Hey kupitauto
    I am from Bay Area too. I just got offer at invoice price for the same trim (2008 Sport/Ent) from Steven Creeks Acura! I can email you the name of the saleman if you want. My impression is that they are more aggressive on price now toward the end of this month (and maybe same for december)
    I am not in rush and just wait to sign paper once I am happy with $$ price.
    JW
  • Options
    greentcgreentc Member Posts: 1
    Hi parlemdx,

Could you please email me the person in Steven Creeks? greentc1@gmail.com.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    tsinoyi2tsinoyi2 Member Posts: 6
    seems like a good deal for OTD.. sport/ent + all the add ons. What is the price before TTL?
  • Options
    baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    If you are in the Columbus, Ohio area (Go Buckeyes!), I can highly recommend Mathews Acura of Marion -- they are very pleasant to deal with and well worth the short drive.

We just picked up a base '08 MDX at $250 over invoice. Best car buying experience ever!
  • Options
    acuratechacuratech Member Posts: 3
    I just Bought a new 2008 MDX tech From First Acura in Seekonk. I shoped around the Boston area. I found a dealership in Seekonk MA, wich i did not even know was this close to me. They Saved me more and gave me more for my trade. The Internet manager was quick and responsive. He answered all my questions in more than the three hours i spent at my local dealer (in Boston). I told him i was not comfortable buying a car an half hour south of were I live. he told me any time my new MDX needs serive they send a driver out with a loaner , and bring my MDX in for service. I can not say more things better about this dealership. They gave more than i was expecting and sold me a car for less.
  • Options
    hulihutuhulihutu Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

could some one help me on the New Jersey Luxury & Fuel Inefficient Vehicle Surcharge (LFIS)? I am in NJ and is going to purchase an 08' MDX for about $41,000. Besides the 7% sales tax, NJ has a 0.4% LFIS surcharge on the new sale or lease of vehicles priced $45,000 or greater or on vehicles having an EPA rating of less than 19 miles per gallon. MDX has an EPA ratings of 15/20. Which EPA rating (city 15 or highway 20) should be used to determine the LFIS? Thx. :confuse:
  • Options
    zorro911zorro911 Member Posts: 3
    Hello there,
    Did you actually pick up your MDX from them. How was your experience? Did you have a trade-in? Did you use their financing department?
    Could you please talk about your experience with this dealership.

Thanks!
  • Options
    oskitzooskitzo Member Posts: 4
    Where in the Bay Area did you purchase your 2008 MDX tech pkg for under $40k... I will buy one next weekend!!! I have only gotten them down to $41,500
  • Options
    dogbytedogbyte Member Posts: 8
    I closed a deal on a MDX Basic- 36 months, 12k annual miles in Westchester County on 11/17.I was not expecting to "deal" as 2 months remained on current Volvo XC-70 lease. However the dealership's management was determined that I not leave empty handed. So here is the deal: excluding CT tax, lease payment is $533 monthly. This includes rolling in last two payments on the Volvo, of approx. $1,000. Lease MF=.00247, resid.=25K. This equates to cap cost on vehicle of about $37.5k on MSRP of $40.9k. I negotiated body side moldings included. The down money as follows: first of $533 + CT sales tax on payment, bank fee of $595. $100 assorted stuff. Altogether $1263. CT DMV extra. LOTS OF INVENTORY IN STOCK AND SALES APPARENTLY SLOW OR SLOWING. THEY WANT TO DEAL CARS. I was an informed buyer as a result of using this service. Thanks to all for your buying /leasing experiences.
  • Options
    chat_penchat_pen Member Posts: 3
    MDX - MSRP and Invoice price as per yahoo (http://autos.yahoo.com/2008_acura_mdx/)

MSRP Invoice
    Base $40,195 $36,514
    Tech Package $43,695 $39,688
    Sport Package $45,795 $41,592
    Tech Package w/ Rear DVD System $45,895 $41,683
    Sport Package w/ Rear DVD System $47,995 $43,587
  • Options
    chat_penchat_pen Member Posts: 3
    Could someone confirm the invoice price of MDX tech/ent and whether we could negotiate this car for its invoice price?
  • Options
    jay111jay111 Member Posts: 2
    I just leased a 2008 MDX base for 36 months/10K miles. Including all taxes, tags, registration, etc. (I'm in NJ), I'm out of pocket $3,500. Payment are $460/month including tax.

Is this a good deal? What are others in the tri-state area getting?

Thanks.
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    You left off the destination charge which is real. You need to include that as part of pricing. Add $715.
  • Options
    perktdperktd Member Posts: 2
    I just completed the purchase of a 2008 MDX with Tech Package. The discussions on this board helped me a great deal in my negotiations and I thought I would try to pay back by relating how I did. One thing I found is that pricing is very different in different parts of the country. The easiest great offer I got came from Pohanka in Virginia. They were willing to quote slightly under invoice without any hassle at all. If I lived within any reasonable distance I would not hesitate to contact their internet department and buy from them.
    However, I live in Oregon and I wanted to see if I could come close to that pricing without paying for shipping or driving cross country. I tried several dealerships in the San Francisco Bay area. Stevens Creek Acura was mentioned here before as being very competitive. I think they would have been, but something in their dealership agreement with Acura does not allow them to sell to out of state buyers so we did not get into details.(They have corporate rather than individual ownership). The next most competitive offer I got was from Marin Acura and it was about $500 over invoice and they were great to work with. The quote included some accessories so I can't say to the dollar how far over invoice they were since I don't know invoice on the accessories. I used the competitive internet accessory prices from Curry Acura and Hondaacuraworld to value the accessories.
    I also shopped Las Vegas and got some OK numbers, but nothing close to Marin Acura. Armed with this information I contacted all the Oregon dealers and some Washington dealers.. Most of them are moving inventory about as fast as they can get it and are not huge dealerships. In general they were not interested in coming down much. One dealer would take $100 off MSRP and several would take about $1000 off MSRP. The most responsive dealership was Dick Hanna Acura in Portland where I did my test drive and I worked through their normal sales people rather than the internet department. I had to pay about $150 more than I would have had to pay Marin, but I didn't have to pick the car up at the Oregon-California border and the negotiations were well handled. Overall I know I did not get THE rockbottom price, but I think I did much better than most Oregon or Washington buyers and I did not have to pay the extra costs of getting the car to where I live. I am happy with the MDX and my buying experience at Dick Hanna. I also know I would have paid more if not for the knowledge I picked up here. Perktd
  • Options
    crvexl4wdcrvexl4wd Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for sharing the info. I am also in Portland and looking to buy the MDX. You are right about Pohanka, I think no body can beat there price. Can you share the deal in detail about the price paid, acc purchased and if any trade in was involved. Can you also mail me the names of sales person at Marin and at dick Hanna. Did you contacted dealership in Salem and how were they. Pls email me the details at TECHNOCRAT@LIVE.COM
    Thanks
  • Options
    merckymercky Member Posts: 15
    I bought 07 not 08.
    you should be able to get 08 mdx tech around invoice. almost all dealers in south bay offered 08 mdx at invoice all couple hundred less, because they did not have any 07 left. Actually dealer makes more money on 07 than 08, because of the finance incentive.
  • Options
    sleepysoosleepysoo Member Posts: 54
    woohoo!!!

congrats!! isn't the car great?! sounds like shopping around really worked for you! but, i didn't know you can pit dealers from other states against each other. i love that idea! i'll have to do that next time!!! i only pitted 3 local dealers!
  • Options
    gohawks2gohawks2 Member Posts: 4
    I would love to know who you worked with at Dick Hanna Acura as well. My wife and I are looking for a MDX Tech up here in the Seattle area and $650.00 over Invoice is about $900.00 less than the best price we've been quoted up here so far, so well worth the drive to Portland if we can't get a local dealer lower. You can e-mail me at rglasser AT gmail.com
  • Options
    lex7lex7 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Houston area, and the best quote I have gotten so far for the tech package is 41,995. Is this a good price?
  • Options
    emarcelo69emarcelo69 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I'm about to give a counteroffer to my dealer. Is it helpful or necessary to provide a breakdown of the amount of the counteroffer? My thought is that the counteroffer would be a bit more credible if provided with how the amount was calculated.

Thanks, in advance!
  • Options
    ericksimondsericksimonds Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased an 08 MDX Tech

Price $40695
    Dest $715
    Rear Garnish $400
    Front Garnish $400
    Roof Rails $295
    Cross Bars $264
    Cargo Tray $135
    Cargo Cover $96
    Total $43000 plus tax tags and title all accessories installed. The only thing I missed (forgot it) was the wheel locks, which I'll have installed on the first oil change.

Also utilized a tip from this forum for the warranty: www.bernardiwarranty.com to secure a great warranty for 60 month 120k miles bumper to bumper for $1310.00 plus tax. The list price for the warranty is closer to $2300.

Has anyone purchased the Tire Replacement? I got it added complimentary. It normally costs 199 and covers any tire damage (ie: nail, flat, etc that ruins tire). It lasts for 3 years or until the tires are balled. If there is any damage to any of the one tire, they'll replace all four as part of the service.

I get to pick it up on Tuesday!
  • Options
    xierxier Member Posts: 99
    Hi Parlemdx and Kupitauto - and All buying in Bay Area --
    I'm also looking to pickup an 08 MDX - Tech package only here -Can you pass along the Steven's Creek info - That's the dealership I was thinking about going to. Would be great to have a name so I can just walk in and do the deal w/out too much trouble!

Thx.
  • Options
    zorro911zorro911 Member Posts: 3
    Finally bought my MDX. Bought it from Pohanka Acura. Trust me guys, they surely do have the best deals. Additionally, we had an awesome experience. No hanky panky what so ever. I paid $500 below invoice i.e. $39903.
    Worked with Katherine there. She was great to work with and is extremely friendly.

Happy shopping guys!!
  • Options
    Hi Zorro911,

can you please email me katherine's contact info? I've been dealing with Acura dealers in the Virginia Beach area and they're all at least over $1000 over invoice for the Tech/Ent. pkg. Email me at nomarc69@yahoo.com. Please also include all the details, ie prices, regarding your purchase. ;)

Thanks!!
  • Options
    thickcommish1thickcommish1 Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2005 MDX touring, loved it, traded it and now miss it. I bought something else strictly because of the pricepoint and I heard that dealers are not coming off MSRP. Now unhappy with my current vehicle I have been researching the MDX again to see if I could financially swing it. After reading the boards I have seen folks getting deals below invoice (not often) and some over MSRP. I have requested quotes from dealers and they are mainly quoting at MSRP still around my area, ie Charlotte (Hendrick Acura), Greensboro (Crown Acura), and Winston Salem (Flow Acura). I experienced this in 05 and had to go to Greenville SC for the deal at Bradshaw Acura which at the time met me in the middle if I would take their available color of Sage/Quartz.

I intend on requesting quotes again but want to have reasonable expectations. I do not mind driving for a deal but also have a trade in which I do not know if it will mess anything up or not. Any help or advise anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    eyesportseyesports Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to purchase 08 MDX/Tech Pkg with running boards, backup sensors, body side molding, wheels locks, cargo cover, cargo mat, tow package (better yet - tow hitch receiver for bike rack as we're not towing anything), floor mats. I see that the invoice price is 39,688 (for the base car with tech.) with 715 destination charge. It's difficult to get the prices on the accessories as different dealers are all over the place (there are no invoice internet prices listed).

Can you please list (or e-mail me at EYESPORTS@aol.com) - the prices paid for these items. We're located in New York. Thanks. (I do see some above, but would appreciate your e-mailing me what you've paid - so I know what to expect/look for). Thank you. :)
  • Options
    kupitautokupitauto Member Posts: 3
    just picked up mine (sport/ent) from Stevens Creek yesterday, with all season mats and wheel locks. Paid invoice+500+TTL. You just walk in and negotiate the price with any sale person... they all are a$$holes so you have to face them. Took me about an hour to nail down the price. Try Los Gatos as well, their sale folks seem to be more professional.
    I believe trims other than Sport (w/ or w/o ENT) would be lower, i.e. you may want to pay invoice, since they have many on the lot.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Ok, made a deal with Priority Acura in Va Beach...2008 w/ tech & ent pkg and side moldings for $44,826.91 "out-the-door"...also includes lifetime oil change, state inspections, etc. Basically $300 over invoice. Called Pohanka in Fairfax and dealt with KP but her deal was not as good. Poeple said KP gave $500 below invoice but I did not get that deal. We decided to not get Sport Side steps, Roofrails and crossbars because they wouldn't budge on them and they were charging waay too much. We'll just get those from hondacuraworld.com or acurapartspeople.com and save a bundle!
  • Options
    I was just quoted $40,652 at the 2.9% finance for a 2008 MDX Tech with side moldings Aspen White/Bordeaux. Dealership is located in the East Bay/California. Before I close the deal, has anyone found a better deal in this area. Vehicle will be arriving mid Dec.
  • Options
    snopeopl1snopeopl1 Member Posts: 3
    Oskitzo,
    Would you mind sharing the name of the East Bay dealership at which you got this quote?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    snopeopl1snopeopl1 Member Posts: 3
    Parlemdx,
    I'd appreciate the salesman name from Stevens Creek as well.... Please email to gabandgreg@yahoo.com. Thanks!
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    emarcelo, congrats on your deal. Out of curiosity, were they asking the prices on the acura web site for the accessories you passed on? Do you recall?
  • Options
    Well, the prices on the Acura website are prices without installation cost. So, the prices that the dealer(s) were asking were much more than that shown on the Acura website. I figured that I could save a large chunk of change if I install the roofracks, crossbars and sport sidesteps myself. I do realize that it would take me several hours to install these ..but I don't mind it.
  • Options
    ericksimondsericksimonds Member Posts: 7
    Before I negotiated my deal, I looked through the past posts...

for accessories, the dealer adds approximately $150 an hour for installation, knowing this helped me to properly negotiate the accesories, especially if the accessory does not require much labor. I walked about with roof rails and cross bars for Roof Rails $295 /Cross Bars $264 Installed.
  • Options
    Snopeopl1
    Oakland and Fairfield. So did I get a good quote??
  • Options
    soylentgreensoylentgreen Member Posts: 62
    May I ask what's the invoice price you started on? Is $36,900 with destination?
  • Options
    marcusromanmarcusroman Member Posts: 4
    Yes, congrats on the deal! That is exactly the package that I want (and no dealer marked up accessory options either).

Emarcelo, just to confirm your numbers before the VA sales tax you paid about $42,692.30, is this correct? And it sounds like you didn't have that much hassle in negotiating, do you have any tips for starting a negotiation? Did you start at invoice price ($42,398) and work up from there?
  • Options
    marcusroman,

*vehicle price (incl. destination): $42,700 (invoice w/ dest. is $42,400)
    *side molding: $276.20
    *processing fee: $399
    *title: $10
    *tags: $44.50
    *online filing fee: $10
    *taxes: 1,3871.21 (3.17% for VA residents)
    total (out the door): $44,826.91

If you're pretty handy, opt to get other accessories online and install them yourself. They'll be cheaper and normally no tax is charged and sometimes shipping is free.

I would definitely deal from the invoice price instead of down from msrp. I spent about 2 weeks emailing with about 3 other dealerships. Some wouldn't budge one bit while others were anxious to make a sale. Start getting quotes from dealers then offer up some counteroffers (working up from invoice). There wasn't much hassle in the negotiating..just a lot of waiting for replies and such. With the offer that I finally took, I was dealing with the internet sales manager via email. Then when I finally called her, she put me through to her GSM (General Sales Mgr) and then we negotiated the final price. I again talked to the internet sales manager and requested that she get everything in writing and that the quote be emailed to me. Then I brought in the hard copy and the deal was made.

Be cautious of some of the posts you read here recommending certain salespeople. I read one post highly recommending a certain salesperson only to find out later that that person posting WAS the salesperson....and that person didn't even give me the deal that was talked about in the post. Oh well, you live and learn!

Anyway, good luck and I hope this helps! ;)
  • Options
    brandie7brandie7 Member Posts: 8
    Any opinions on color combinaitons would be greatly appreciated I have managed to obsess over what should be as simple as " i like that color best" until my family thinks i'm certifiably insane however I have managed to narrow my preferences to the following: black/ebony, black/taupe, white/taupe. I have an atrociously messy 3 y/o and a nonshedding dog but I am a very neat person. But i ultimately want what looks best. I feel like I am picking out a freakin prom dress and need some second opinions.

thanks
  • Options
    marcusromanmarcusroman Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the detailed breakdown! You sound like you know your stuff but just wondering about the $399 processing fee...is that pretty standard?
  • Options
    Well, the processing fee is one of those fees that you "have" to pay. In my past vehicle purchases, I couldn't get them to remove it. But, it doesnt mean its impossible. If they insist on the fee, make sure you "balance" it out by getting closer to invoice price (or even below).