Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    markj10markj10 Member Posts: 18
    Ok.....I had to bite on the $499 "dealer fees" at Rick Case Acura which they claim on their contract under TERMS AND CONDITIONS that "this charge represents costs and profit to the dealer for such items as inspecting, cleaning and adjusting vehicles and preparing documents related to the sale". I think the key phrase is profit to the dealer. I didn't argue given the overall deal I put together.

2004 MDX TOURING with Nav and RES-Redrock Pearl
    MSRP with destination $43,245
    Accessories:
    Cargo Net, Meter Trim simulated wood, RES simulated wood, cargo cover, Bright chrome side steps, hard short roof box,gold emblem kit, body side molding, protection package (all season mats,cargo tray, wheel locks) Total accessories was $1975
    Most dealers quoted me $200-$250 to install all the listed accessories.....

My cost for the vehicle including all the accessories installed was $41,490 plus the $499 dealer fee or $41,989 plus tax, tag and title

Given full MSRP with Accessories of $45,220 plus any install charges .....I was quite happy given I was getting over $3200 off MSRP and the accessories installed....the dealer fee was not really an issue given this savings above which includes the dealer fee figured in.....
    But it got even better.....I had a buyer set to purchase my Audi A6 and Rick Case let me run the sale to my buyer through their dealership at no cost so I could take the tax credit on the sale price of my Audi which saved me a good amount more.....It was the end of the year they had the exact vehicle I wanted in the inventory and wanted to make the deal and assure they stayed the "Worlds Largest Acura Dealer"......Bravo Rick Case on a job well done......I guess I am pretty proud of myself for the deal I put together given when I originally looked at Edmunds and other sources and talked to my local dealers it seemed like I would be paying MSRP.
  • Options
    saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    "I had a buyer set to purchase my Audi A6 and Rick Case let me run the sale to my buyer through their dealership at no cost so I could take the tax credit on the sale price of my Audi which saved me a good amount more."

Can you explain how this works? Are you talking about rolling the depreciation of your old Audi into the basis of your new MDX, as opposed to selling the Audi:

a) over basis and paying capital gains tax OR
    b) under basis and getting a capital loss but then having to find some capital gains somewhere so you can offset?

BTW, congrats on your MDX. I have the 2003 and I love it more every time I drive it. Handles extremely well for such a large vehicle.
  • Options
    markj10markj10 Member Posts: 18
    Here is how it works...I did the same thing when I bought my truck in 2000 and sold my other truck to a private party through the dealer I bought the new truck from....it is really quite simple concept....

I agree to a price on the new Acura......lets say for simple numbers $42,000......I find a buyer for my Audi and we agree to lets say $17,000. The deal is ran through the dealership with me getting $17,000 trade in allowance toward the new Acura and then my buyer buying the Audi from the dealership for the agreed $17,000......so I only pay tax on the difference of $23,000...not the full $40,000. In my deal with FL sales tax this saved me about $1100.

The other advantage was I was able to get $4500 more from a private for sale by owner than what the dealers in my area wanted to give on trade in for my Audi.

This is a simple thing that many dealers will do for you but sometimes they will try and throw in their "dealer fee" or a handling charge to make a little on the deal... but it still usually saves you money.
  • Options
    saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    That is brilliant. I usually sell to a private party (or give it away to a relative) and then offset the capital loss or gain by cashing in on stock or dumping some loser shares, but that sounds like a much nicer way to roll in depreciation on the old vehicle into the new one.

It's also one more way to squeeze the dealer. I love it.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There was a thread about this practice a couple of months ago in News & Views. Here's a summary post fyi:

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

That one concentrates on the tax angle, but others point out that if your buyer has problems with the car, they will look to the dealer for satisfaction, and many dealers won't take that risk.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bibi1bibi1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I just paid 1700.00 for this extended warranty. Did anybody out there get a better price from Acura?
  • Options
    firdashfirdash Member Posts: 1
    I am getting Acura MDX Base Model for 34900 including destination + Taxes in Southern California. Is it a good price in this area?
  • Options
    ironchefironchef Member Posts: 5
    I've been shopping around in bay area, CA and prices are finally below MSRP. I'm shooting for low as possible on fully loaded now since the prices have dropped. Currently around 1500 to 2000 over invoice, depending on model. I haven't bought yet but am looking to buy soon. Anyone interested in trying a 'groupbuy' solution (i.e., we both walk into the same dealership ready to buy at a certain price?)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No group buys or any other kind of solicitation on the boards.

Thanks.

tidester, host
  • Options
    nerdaknerdak Member Posts: 12
    I bought my Red rock MDX Touring/Navi/DVD including cargo cover, cargo net, cargo mat, and wheel locks and paid 41k and 3.9% financing in Los Gatos Acura.
  • Options
    passamv6passamv6 Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting the below quote from a Sacramento dealer
                                        MSRP SALE PRICE
    Base Model $36,945 $35,445
    Touring Model $39,545 $38,045
    Touring/DVD $41,045 $39,545
    Touring/Navi $41,745 $40,245
    Touring/Navi/DVD $43,245 $41,745

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    I just picked up my MDX this evening, fully loaded dvd/navi for $40,507.

Sac prices look a little high. I think they will go down for the Navi/DVD to 41000.

I was offered the extended warranty for 1700. How many people opted for this warranty? Do you think it's worth it?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you used Edmunds.com to research a vehicle you bought from a Denver-area dealership and would like to talk about your experience on camera Saturday, January 31, 2004, please contact jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and the name of the dealership. Responses must be in by Friday, January 30, 2004 for consideration. Thanks! Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    adhladhl Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations! Does your deal includes any accessories? what color is your car, and which dealership did you get it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Deal did not explicitly include accessories, although he price matched everything I wanted. We got Silver exterior/black interior.

Email me at i*r*o*n*c*h*e*f*8*8*8*@*s*b*c*g*l*o*b*a*l*.*n*e*t
    , I'll send you more info.
  • Options
    edog11edog11 Member Posts: 12
    I'd like to thank all of the people on this forum for sharing their experiences, especially Gary. My midnight blue/nav/RES, pro pack (all weather mats, wheel locks & cargo tray), mud guards and moonroof visor was purchased from Lindsay Acura in Columbus, Ohio for $40,633. One area dealer told me he couldn't believe Lindsay would sell this vehicle for the price quoted, but if they did, I had a great deal. I live in southern MD (20 min south, Wash DC) and my MDX was delivered Tuesday morning as promised. I had a choice whether to go to Columbus to pick it up or have it delivered. I paid the $275 for delivery. This was the easiest purchasing experience I've ever had.
  • Options
    Which dealership in the Bay Area did you buy it from? I'm not getting anything less than $1500 off MSRP from either Bay Area or Sac dealers. So far I've only done email communication with the dealers.
  • Options
    Email me at: i*r*o*n*c*h*e*f*8*8*8*@*s*b*c*g*l*o*b*a*l*.*n*e*t, I'll send you more info.
  • Options
    prasadperiprasadperi Member Posts: 40
    Hello Sir,
    Can you please send me the details of the sales agent at Lindsay Acura in Columbus for your fantastic Acura deal. "My midnight blue/nav/RES, pro pack (all weather mats, wheel locks & cargo tray), mud guards and moonroof visor was purchased from Lindsay Acura in Columbus, Ohio for $40,633." Also how much did you pay on taxes.
    Thanks
    Prasadperi@hotmail.com
  • Options
    bigzeebigzee Member Posts: 3
    I also would appreciate information on how you handled getting a MD title and the MD taxes on the vehicle. How proactive did you have to be? Or was dealing with a non-local dealer as easy and hassle-free as using a local dealer.

Hopefully, those are questions the Moderator will permit to be posted.

Thanks, edog11, in advance.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    You are welcome. Enjoy!
  • Options
    icec97icec97 Member Posts: 17
    Hi edog11, the best I can get from a touring w/ navi is $1500 off MSRP or about $2520 over invoice. By looking at your purchase, you are getting $1626 over invoice. That's outstanding! Could you please share your experienced on how to go about to get that kind of deal? Thank you. I haven't finalized my deal yet. Until then, I might as well call Lingsay Acura if you can show me the ropes for a possible purchase. Thanks again.
  • Options
    amalhotraamalhotra Member Posts: 1
    I paid $31,600 for a 2003 MDX Base model with heated seats and roof rack at Baellargeon Audi in Dallas, TX.
  • Options
    acuratlmdxacuratlmdx Member Posts: 5
    Purchased a touring MDX with $2680 off invoice. Love the SUV.
  • Options
    or, if anyone else is interested email me at ewhite01@comcast.net and I will share all of the names and pertinent information in reference to my deal.
  • Options
    With Lindsay Acura, you are purchasing a vehicle, Ohio 30 day temp tag and an Ohio title. When the vehicle was delivered, I provided a check for the amount on the buyers order (this will be faxed to you prior to delivery) and I signed three or four documents. I was told by my salesperson I will receive the Ohio title in about 2 weeks. At this time, I will go to MD motor vehicles to pay taxes, transfer the title from Ohio to MD and pay registration fees (approximately $2100). My experience dealing with Lindsay Acura was much more pleasurable than dealing with the local dealers. My initial quote from Lindsay was what I purchased the vehicle for. I knew it was a great quote so I didn't think about haggling. I only asked for the pro pack, moonroof visor and mud guards to be included at no charge.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    In addition to what edog mentioned if you do not have access to a fax(I did not when I purchased from them in august)they will send you all of the necessary paperwork via fedex, as well as a prepaid fedex envelope to return everything. The title came in two weeks. If you live in DC like i do, you have to take the vehicle to the inspection station BEFORE you go to register it at DMV(I learned this the hard way).
  • Options
    domlauridomlauri Member Posts: 6
    Drove home our MDX Touring last night. I did OK. It was not stellar event, but learned some things.

Decided ahead of time. The MDX Touring no options to keep it the deal easy. Ordered spoiler and front bumper online.

For pricing, I started with a friend's legitimate connection at a major corporate company that has several dealerships for different makes around the southwest. Within 15 minutes he could get me a Red Touring for $37767. This turned out to be a key number. The contact was not affiliated with an Acura dealer, but they all know each other thou and he told me who to call, but I didn’t.

Next, I called the other three dealers in my state and asked for fleet sales. I got mixed responses as Acura/Honda are eliminating official fleet type operations. However, all would talk a little on the phone in the spirit of fleet. We to used the least cooperative location for doing test drives. Never discussed deals with them. The target was now a Touring model in Blue.

Another round of calls. This time I asked each to beat $37767. Both took the number very serious and quickly offered to meet but not beat. No one coughed at it. I just made it clear that they could have this easy sale if they beat the number. Each declined, stood by the offer to match $37767.

One hour later, one called back and offered to negotiate if I came in. Had 2 rounds of, “Wait let me talk to my manager,” we were down to $37000 on a Blue Touring and added wide body side molding, deliverable April. I went home with a tentative deal.

Now, the real lesson, talk to your wife years before considering to buy a car and get everything clear. On a quarterly basis have a formal review. I arrived home, ready to celebrate my clear victory, she informed me of a color change to Aspen White. It’s a good thing that Aspen White is a ‘Limited Edition’ color, because it cost me $767. The stand on the ‘Limited’ part is my story and I am sticking with it,… got it,… good. Final, Aspen White Touring w/ wide side molding deliverable in 1 week $37767 + $388 doc fees. Not a smoking deal, but I am happy in comparison to the other numbers I have seen on this board.
  • Options
    graykotjgraykotj Member Posts: 7
    On an icey Saturday in mid January, after raining at 27 degrees F the night before, I received a call from our local Acura dealer in Westmont IL. He stated that because of the weather, his manager wanted any potential buyers to quote a price, which he would try to match. So I called back with a price of $35800 for an MDX w/Touring Pkg w/o NAV (I have a Garmin GPS) - that's less than $200 over invoice, or approximately $3800 off MSRP. They said, "Come on down!" My wife and I ventured out in sloppy weather, and we struck a reasonable deal. The salesman afterward confided his amazement that we actually got an MDX for that price - because in our initial meetings he had indicated "a few hundred off MSRP" would be the going price. Also, accessories (all weather mats, side door guards, cargo net, 3M invisible bra and a few others) were negotiated to dealer cost. Under the right circumstances, a good price can be had - but I would have offered the same amount on a sunny day. Moral to this story: Don't believe a salesman on pricing - they are not the authority. If the dealership wants to sell bad enough, they will negotiate. Even at invoice cost, dealers still make money.
  • Options
    domlauridomlauri Member Posts: 6
    Can you send some of that weather down here to Arizona?
  • Options
    graykotjgraykotj Member Posts: 7
    Oh, I would love to send some weather down your way - it's minus 12 degrees here today. How's the golfing? (Let's not clutter this board - thanks).
  • Options
    johnrph1johnrph1 Member Posts: 6
    Ordered Touring with Nav from Southern Cal dealer for 2,200 off MSRP. Dealer started with offer of 1,000 off MSRP. Told him I had internet offer for 2,200 off. He matched the offer. I wanted Sandstone, so had to wait for a vehicle that was on order. Probably could have done a little better with a vehicle on the lot, but like the idea of getting one right off the truck, not test driven. Will post dealer name, after I pick the vehicle up next week and verify no last minute price changes.
  • Options
    cyoungbloodcyoungblood Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our Black (ext.)/Saddle (int.) MDX premium (aka: base model) on January 20 from Feders Acura in Middletown, NY. We paid $1500 less than sticker ($35,495). We added on the cross bars and running boards (no discounts). We live in Westchester County, New York. We checked with dealers through the internet (through the Edmunds & Acura websites) and with phone calls locally and in CT, NJ, MA, and RI starting at the beginning of January (1.2.04). Some of the internet managers at the dealerships were not the best to deal with. One quoted sticker which we knew was ridiculous, only to have his manager call back two minutes later (Curry Acura) to offer a better price (they were obviously trying to see if we would bite for the higher price). I also tried the Costco discount program – only one dealer in NY offered the car on LI & he said that his price was $1000 off sticker and that he knew that deals were as good or better up near me so it wouldn’t make sense for us to make a trip. The standard discount at almost all of the dealers was $1000 off sticker. There were a few dealers that didn’t offer that discount because they were “sold out” for a month in advance. The deal sealer was that Feders promised a lower price and the vehicle we wanted within one week (ended up taking two weeks and a day). Heart Acura (Wappingers Falls, NY) offered to match the price but wouldn’t promise the car until the end of the month. We love it and have already tried out the AWD in the snow in VT.

Two quick notes, thanks to the Edmunds boards where we found out that you can get Acura accessories on the internet for a significant discount over the dealer price. Second, American Honda called asking about our purchase. I mentioned that we were disturbed at the dearth of available vehicles (maybe just the Northeast given the deals people are getting in other parts of the country), which seems like a way to prop up the price on a vehicle that has been out four years rather than make it available to customers.
  • Options
    shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    we have been waiting for about a month and will have to wait another 3-4 weeks for our Aspen white to arrive. Paid $1200 less than MSRP....hard to shop around when no one has a vehicle to sell. We are "leasing"....$512 a month $500 down 15k a year......
  • Options
    tucsonguytucsonguy Member Posts: 1
    What would be a good price to pay for a 2004 MDX base model in AZ? Any suggestions on which dealerships to try first?

Thanks.
  • Options
    riversideriverside Member Posts: 5
    I live in Jax, FL. Anyone able to buy this model for less than MSRP in this area?
  • Options
    qman168qman168 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my MDX ASPEN WHITE, 2,000 over invoice. But didn't get good price on fender flare and side step--extra 1,638. (they even got extra money for 10days' interest --I paid first and wait 10days for my car come).
    If you don't need that fender flare & side step, I think this is a good deal, if you need dealer info, i can e-mail you. :)
  • Options
    socal_leesocal_lee Member Posts: 2
    qman168 - congratulations on your new purchase. I am also to get a touring w/Nav. Can you post the dealer or the salesperson name? Thanks!
  • Options
    qman168qman168 Member Posts: 4
    socal_lee e-mail me @ qman168 follow by hotmail :) I give you more informaton..On Top says I can post the dealership name (Thomas Acura) But no salesman's name.
  • Options
    compusolvcompusolv Member Posts: 5
    I am surprised by the fact that Accura is not promoting its President's Day sale which starts today (Feb12 and ends on Feb 16). This is a deal of the year where you can get 2.9% financing on ALL acura models. I learned about this accidently while talking with Acura financing about totally different issue. I don't remember Acura offering 2.9% on MDX ever so run there within the next 4 days to lock the best rate possible. Good luck to all!!!
  • Options
    tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    I'm supposed to pick my new MDX up on Monday 2/16. Although I have pre-approved financing at a super low rate, this is a cut rate deal! Tell me, what should I do if I want to secure such a rate or is the sale "through 2/16" or "to 2/16". Please advise and thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    icec97icec97 Member Posts: 17
    I finally drove home my MDX (touring w/ navi) today for 40,000 + fees. I could have gone by edog11's way, but a little complicated for me. I'd like to see and test drive before negotiating. Got it for 1745 off MSRP or 2343 over invoice. How did I do?
  • Options
    tvkwtvkw Member Posts: 9
    compusolv,
    What it the term of the 2.9% interest rate? Is it for 60 months? Is this for specific area/region only or nation wide? Thanks.
  • Options
    compusolvcompusolv Member Posts: 5
    This is the deal....
    After spending some time on the phone with Honda Finance people I was able to get the following info: you can get 2.9% rate for up to 60 month of financing. The 60 month part is not 100% guaranteed since even they don't know this for sure (one rep said yes another one said all that she knows for sure is that it is 2.9% on all acura vehicles if you have a good credit). One important thing that they have mentioned to me later on and something you will not hear in TV add although I still have to see one: the dealer can actually add their own percentage to the advertised rate if they want to make even more money on the transaction.
    After discussions with my dealer I was able to bring the rate down to 2.9 (at least I was promised to see this rate when I'll be picking up my car). The dealer acknowledged that they are usually adding their percentage to the rate advertised on TV because thats how they make their profits on the deal. Acura web site doesn't even mention this sale at this point and because of it you don't really have anything in writing and have to argue your case.

I am not sure though if this is a national sale as I am in New York and this can be New York state only deal. I also think that the same deal applies to Honda vehicles too. The 2.9% rate is something worth fighting for since it can save you an additional ~1500 overall (60 month) in comparison to 4.49% (from Capital One for example) 40k and above models.

The key for the deal is that the contract has to be completed between February 12 and 16 (not a day later).
    I am pretty sure that this is also valid in cases when your model not in stock at the moment and you have to wait for it to be delivered. As long as you apply for financing during this 12-16 window you should be fine.

Good luck to all!!!
  • Options
    kennyh28kennyh28 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought our MDX Touring with Nav+RES from dealer's stock. It was one of three Tourings with Nav+RES which arrived the previous day.

Paid $41,500 ($1,745 off MSRP) + tax/licensing. Added Body Side Moldings (wider style) for $175 more (fitted).

I think this is a reasonable deal for this region and we did get exactly the specs we wanted; Sage Brush Pearl (with Quartz interior).

Contacted dealer through Internet Department which dealt with our enquiry professionally and promptly. Salesperson did a great job and knew the product well.

Typical of the strategy it would seem, the otherwise pleasant experience was ruined by the Sales Manager who decided to intimidate us with everything from "difficulties with trade-in" to paying for included items. Then it was the Business Manager's turn to try his bag of tricks. Thanks to Edmunds Tips & Advice, we were alert to this and avoided falling into the traps. Nonetheless, between them, we wasted 90 mins on something that should have only taken 5 (paid cash for balance).

Once we were handed back to the Salesperson, civilization returned and the vehicle was handed over to us after 30 minutes of explaining the vehicle, most notably the Nav system. This actually helped and was useful.

Kudos then to the Internet Sales Department and the Salesperson. In this age of information technology, dealerships should make their Sales and "Business/Finance" Managers redundant. They add no value whilst taking up floor space, prolonging the sales process, insulting customer intelligence and increasing blood pressure levels.
  • Options
    smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Went to Open Road Acura in NJ and test drove an MDX. Got a price of $45,138 with tax for the Touring w/NAV and DVD. After the accessories I wanted, it blew up to $49,318...............YIKES. Thats too much money. Its an awesome SUv and it drove great, but its a bit steep...........anyone know what I might pay to insure that baby? I live in NYC (Staten Island)................I may have to get the deposit back..............
  • Options
    Just purchased my Silver/Quartz with Touring/Navigation. Very few of them in stock with dealers in Bay Area. Paid $43000 out-of-the-door. Got $2200 off msrp.
  • Options
    smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    The price given to me was 43+ for Touring w/NAV,DVD....NY tax pushes it to 46.2...........before my optional stuff.................too high??? Looking for input...thanks......
  • Options
    tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Source: www.carsdirect.com. '04 MDX touring, nav/dvd and is pricing out at $40,457 (about $1400 over invoice)including destination charge for our area (So. Cal). I think you can find better than what you're being quoted. Try an on-line source if the dealer won't work with you. It's worth a try.
  • Options
    socal_leesocal_lee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to referral from qman168, I bought a Sagebrush (green) from Thomas Acura in Covina, CA. Basically, I did some research and give the a carsdirect quote of $39107. The MSRP was $41745 for a savings of $2638 below MSRP. They were able to match this without haggling. (Now I wonder if I got a good deal???)

I asked them to match accessory prices from hondacuraworld and they couldn't (or wouldn't) do it so I will get accessories separately.

I did buy the 7yr/100K extended warranty from Acura Care.

If you need the salesperson name, please let me know. If there are better deals in So Cal, please share your feedback, not that it will do me any good. :)