Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I don't exactly remember the cost of my 7500 mile maintenance, but $150 for oil change and rear differential isn't that crazy. Considering time and materials. $30 for the oil change, $30 for differential fluid and then at least 1.5 hours labor for the whole job. Reasonable no, but for dealer maintenance, par for the course.

My 15K service was somewhere around $225-$250 I cannot remember exactly. I got an Oil change, rear differential fluid and transmission fluid changed. I also got tire rotation and all the "checks". About 2 total hours.

Regarding the post.

I thought ..."but with free oil changes for life and 2 years/24000 miles for free maintenance"... meant free maintenance for 2 years and someone could easily do 15K in 2 years...the 7500 and 15K are required maintenance.

I GUESS I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT FREE MAINTENANCE MEANS! Geesh.
  • Options
    wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    I've read some great deals you guys have gotten over the pat month or so. Is this because there is a surplus right know? Trying to decide on buying right know or waiting for the 2005 model. Has anyone heard of the changes for the 2005 or better yet have a website that has pictures.
    The only thing I have heard is there will be a total redesign for 2006.

WC
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the 2004 Acura Mdx discussion - and it may be time for Kirstie to rename it to "2005/2006."

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jofam1jofam1 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, do you mind disclosing the dealership where you bought your MDX, thank you.
  • Options
    12puritan12puritan Member Posts: 4
    I paid 35,200 for a 2004 base MDX.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Invoice for base MDX is 33336. True pass through cost for dealer is a minimum of 32244. (probably lower) - that's the figure you should start with if you order the car ("order"=it's not on the lot). Knowledge is power!
  • Options
    barbecuejoebarbecuejoe Member Posts: 6
    Just leased 2004 MDX Touring w/Nav, no RES
    Davis Acura, Langhorne, PA

Black w/Ebony; also includes:
    All-season mats
    Short Cargo Roofbox

Agreed price $39,245
    48 month lease
    15,000 miles annual
    Monthly payment $527 + tax
    No additional security or lease acquisition cost

Precision Acura in Princeton and Montgomeryville Acura wouldn't come close to this deal.

This is the 5th car my wife and I have either purchased or leased from Davis. This 2004 MDX is replacing a 2001 MDX Touring w/Navi coming off lease. Picking up tomorrow!
  • Options
    badullabadulla Member Posts: 8
    I was recently in the ongoing debate of to buy a 2004 or wait for the 2005.

So I started thinking about what would be different for 2005. There are probably going to only be small changes/improvements, with a big one being Xenon headlights. I'm not that hot for Xenon lights just yet because of the theft issue, especially in Boston. Audi and Nissan Xenon headlights are being stolen left and right! So until they find a better way to secure headlights and/or track them (RFID application) I am going to stay away.

Anyway....the other issue is getting a good deal. Right now there are some good deals to be had. I almost have a Touring edition locked down for $36k even. I doubt I'll be able to negotiate that on a 2005 when they are rolling off the line in October.

So I am going to try and get my deal this weekend...we'll see if they cave!

Will let everyone know soon.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    This is possibly the best time to buy a car in years - in fact, this month is possibly the best month to buy a car in years. The sky is falling as dealers scramble to find buyers...
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I notice that alot of people are getting discounts on MDX's now. At one time you couldn't getting anything significant off. Does anyone know the reason? Competition? Are there many MDX's on the dealers lots so you don't have to wait anymore? Anyways, Badulla I'm in the same boat as you. To wait and see what new comes out or try to get an 04. Only difference...many dealers near me can't even come close to the 36k you were offered.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    It's natural that the MDX is having much better discounts. What was unnatural was the MDX going over two years without widespread discounting.

The growth in demand is still there judging by sales numbers, but that growth is slowing. You can attribute this partly to the competition, partly to increased supply, and partly because the MDX is now in the "mature" phase of its model cycle (now in fourth model year).

The discounts will vary greatly across the country, of course.

Remember that 3 month waits or more for an MDX used to be the rule almost everywhere. Not so anymore.
  • Options
    rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    ...I was probably too harsh in my post about the dealer service charges. It is not sbcooke's fault that dealers make offers of 'package deals" for oil changes then slap the customer with a big bill for other maintenance items.

I do, however, feel this is quite underhanded. Rather attracting customers to the dealership for reasonably priced service in the hope that the "new car smell" will get those customers to frequently trade up, too many dealers charge prices that are unnecessarily high. There is no need to use a senior tech, with their high billable rate to change oil or service the VTM.

In fact several dealers have adopted practices that result in far smaller charges. It is not uncommon to pay $29 TOTAL for an oil change and $49 TOTAL for VTM fluid change. With all sales taxees this is still about half $150.

I wish that ALL DEALERS would follow such policies becuase many folks still feel luxur/foriegn car dealers cost more to service, and that need not be the case.

More reasonable service charges lead to better maintained vehicles that command higher resale prices.
  • Options
    I posted the other day that I was going to try and make my deal....and I did.

After a few hours at the dealership I walked away with an MDX Touring on hold. I would have walked away with it right then, but the Honda financing wasn't in line with what I can get online...so I have to wait for that to go through this week. All in all it was a pleasurable experience and I will be driving it next week.

For everyone wondering how much I paid, the answer is $36,100, yes for the Touring.

I basically went in with the number $36000 in my head. Needless to say we were very far off when we started negotiating. But I explained that I knew what their costs were and that they would still be making money off the sale at $36k. We went back and forth, and ultamitely I just told them that either they wanted my money or they didn't. So they finally came back with $36100. I probably could have squeezed the extra $100, but considered it a victory and agreed. I think the sales manager finally agreed that it was quick money, even if not as high a profit as they usually make.

Looking forward to picking it up this week!!!

My only complaint is that they were not willing to give me a discount on any dealer installed options. They claimed that there was no room in the pricing on accessories for discounts, which I know is bull. No big deal though, I am only interested in chrome side steps and door visors which I can order online and install myself.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I do agree that the scheduled maintenance is often if not always overpriced. With that said...

Believe it or not, the price I got was after shopping around and finding the cheapest dealer. I also weighed all the costs separately vs. package. Other dealers were charging $300+ for the 15K service. I tried to break out the costs by not doing the whole "check procedure" and just get oil, VTM and Transmission fluid separately. With only Oil and VTM I could have had my 15K service much cheaper but once I added the transmission fluid it was close to their 15K service price ($30+$50+$120)...for not much more I got wiper blades, tires rotated, suspension bolts tightened and "all the checks" which I doubt they do. It was more expensive than ala carte, but I think I got the best deal I could for around $250.

If I had more time I would rotate the tires, run to Autozone get fluids I needed to top everything off, etc. but there is also convenience cost in getting it done in 2 hours on a Saturday.

Again your point about service being over priced is true, especially dealer service. Perhaps next time I will see if I can get a honda dealership to do it cheaper? However don't think that everyone blindly accepts these costs. I got different quotes, work breakouts and valued my time, the potential issues if I had it done at an independant shop vs. Acura, what service items I should and shouldn't get done, etc.
  • Options
    dkd2003dkd2003 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the 2K RPM/70 mph Drone problem has been fixed?? Did Acura issue a TSB?
  • Options
    gigigigi Member Posts: 7
    Just ordered a 2004 MDX Touring with Navigation. Options: Cargo Tray, Cargo Cover, Body Side Molding, Wheel Locks, All Season Mats.

Total price $39,040 which included any dealer fees. All I have to add are Registration and Taxes -- which are pretty substantial here. (NY Metro Region).

Hope I like the MDX (and can afford the gas), as I am going from driving 5-speed manual sports sedans for the past 20 years!
  • Options
    rjbkalrjbkal Member Posts: 2
    I just got a quote of $40,800 for a 2004 MDX Touring with Navi/RES. Price includes destination but not tax and title. I am in the Chicago area.
  • Options
    snowsnow Member Posts: 2
    Gigi, which dealership did you get that $39,040 price from? We're in the market for basically the same options and have started pricing them. Sounds like you got a very decent price. What color did you get?
  • Options
    So I posted on Saturday that I put a deposit for a Touring without NAV or RES for $36,100. Well my wife really wanted the ebony interior rather that the quartz, but the dealer did not have any in stock.

So I cancelled that order even though it was a great deal. I did today however find a Silver with Ebony Touring with RES and came to a price of $37,110. So I pulled the trigger. Should be picking it up Thursday! My wife isn't allowed to change her mind on colors anymore though, I'm tired of negotiating.
  • Options
    mightyogmightyog Member Posts: 6
    I've been quoted for an 2004 MDX Touring with Navi, Moonroof Visor, Cargo Cover and Running Boards a total of $40,458.

Good, bad, Indifferent?

Og
  • Options
    toothdoctoothdoc Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I have been reading the messages and notice several have stated they are buying a touring for $36,100. Can someone give me a dealers name and location if this is permitted. I am in Tennessee but am willing to fly and drive one back home to same some bucks

Thanks, Ernie
  • Options
    You're in Tennessee, your name is Ernie, but you aren't shopping for a Ford?

Sorry; too many years in Memphis and Chattanooga I guess :-)

Posting dealer names/location is fine but I didn't see any Tennessee deals when I did a Discussion Search.

You may want to try the Dealer Price Quotes link here, and try different zip codes.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    toothdoctoothdoc Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I am not shopping for a Ford because if I were, I could use a friends "X" plan. Maybe I should!

"budulla" keeps stating he is buying for $36,100. I contacted a couple of the out-of-state dealers mentioned here in the discussion and they will come no where close to the amounts mentioned here. What gives?
  • Options
    champs98champs98 Member Posts: 1
      I'm in Nashville and came up against the same problem. I could only manage to get a minimum amount off of MSRP.
      But actually, in my opinion, for what your getting, the MDX is a good deal even at MSRP. And relative to comparable vehicles the spread between invoice and MSRP is pretty low, thus not allowing for a lot of room to haggle.
      In short, there are a bunch of guys out there beating their chest and bragging about their great deal. When in fact, "There's NO such thing as a free meal!"...They ARE paying for it somewhere in the contract.
  • Options
    There are dealers that show dozens of MDXs in inventory -- they are far more likely to give a big discount then dealer that has a small inventory.

If you want to pay $36,135 for a Touring there are dealers that will sell at that price, they will make at least $1000, but there is no guarantee that they will be nearby or have the color you want.

If you factor in hassle factor, freight, et cetera then buying another $1000 or so you can still feel good that you got a good discount & the vehicle you really want from a dealer close enough to visit.

Though there is over $3800 spread from MSRP to invoice this is NOT a vehicle that is heavily discounted and beating yourself up trying to eek out the lowest price is pointless.

OTOH, any Acura dealer that STILL (four years after the MDX came out!) sits HARD on MSRP deserves to be walked out on -- believe me Acura is far away from adopting a "one price, no haggle" pricing model {and if you are intent on just getting a major discount you could always make a 'below invoice" offer for an RL...)
  • Options
    bflgroupiebflgroupie Member Posts: 8
    I love the MDX Touring w/RES I got. It's the Redrock Pearl - which, was hard to find.

I think I got a good deal on it. I live in the greater Washington DC area and everything is so darn expensive. Initially I was thinking of buying the Honda Pilot. But, when compared with the comforts of the MDX, I opted for the Acura instead.

I went to the local Acura dealership here and negotiated a price on one on the lot. But, I wanted the red one and the sales guy told me they would not give me anything off MSRP for a red one they had to trade around for. Well, I thought that stunk. So, I took the "on-the-lot" numbers he gave me and called around. All the local Acura dealerships indicated that they were selling close to MSRP. The Pilot was the same, only worse, folks are plopping down deposits and ordering them at MSRP! The area I live in has more people per car dealership, I think.

I found my red MDX Touring in PA by calling around; about a 100 miles away. The sales guy was great. I initially negotiated $1700 off MSRP plus running boards throw in over the phone. That was enough to get me there to see it (at this point, I hadn't even seen a red one) While in PA I stopped at their affiliated Honda dealership and cked out the Pilot again. So, when I sat down my Acura guy - I explained that we had to meet somewhere between a Pilot w/all the dealer options wanted and the Acura with its already-included comforts...we settled on $37,800. I am sure there are those of you out there that have paid less but I got the color I wanted and I am comfortable with the payment.

It was a pleasant experience...and it sure beats the KIA Sportage I have kicked to the curb!
  • Options
    dkd2003dkd2003 Member Posts: 8
    I am wondering if anyone know the current discounts in So Cal for tour/nav. I am getting about 2000 off MSRP but I am not sure what the current pricin is in So California.
  • Options
    Toothdoc,

I got the original deal on the Touring from a dealer local (I'm in MA). If you want contact info I'd be happy to share with you, but being in TN I don't know if it would be worth the savings to have it shipped. Because of a color combo issue I passed on it and went with a Touring with RES for $37,110 from the same dealership. I'm sure that the fact they had the vehicle on the lot helped drive the discount. Even selling with that kind of discount they are still making money, and the more they sell the more inventory they can get the following month.

Not all dealerships will go that low however as I found. I did find the color I wanted in the Touring at another local dealer. I showed up with everything ready to sign but they would not match the price. They actually would not even come close. I was somewhat shocked that they were turning me down, the sales manager even implied that he didn't believe me.

So I'll have to go there again soon and show them my purchase and sale agreement from the other dealership.

It's all about making money. If they have the car and you are willing to close immediately, the dealership is usually much more flexible. Having other options or quotes will help if they know you can just go buy from somewhere else for that price.
  • Options
    I live in a Chicago suburb, we are fortunate to have NINE Acura stores within in 45 mile radius. last July I was "shut down" by EIGHT of the nine dealers -- I too had the cash in hand and would've be happy to spend it with any of the stores that were willing to 'deal'. Only ONE was...

The "sorry, but that is what we are selling 'em for" business does not extend to their service departments, I have been well taken of by the dealer most conviently located near me (maybe they are try to butter me up for the NEXT Acura I buy...).

BTW Most of the stores that shut me down did keep me in their "call back" file and I was getting PLENTY of calls as the model year rolled over.
  • Options
    qman168qman168 Member Posts: 4
    dkd2003.

The price in S. Cal is low now. You can refer to the messae #1070~1072, the price is a little bit lower than the time I purchase. Good luck!
  • Options
    bimmerloverbimmerlover Member Posts: 2
    I just helped my in-laws to get a 2004 MDX with navigation and DVD for $39,800 (including destination and dealership doc fees). I did not ask for any accessories (just wanted to compare apples to apple at the different dealerships). There is a lot of bargaining available on this vehicle!
  • Options
    bob4bob4 Member Posts: 2
    When I started to look for a new Car I hit 3 Main dealers, cause I live at the beach. The first dealership I went to was hall acura of VB. When I walked in i felt a warmth inside. All the sales people were nice as they could be. They offered me coffee and donuts!!! I was approached by this nice young man he is the internet manager. He was so helpful. He told me that he was here to sell me a car but Help me buy a car. When he said that it just hit me. Then we went on a drive and came back and we sat and talked about the car for 30 min. Then i tried to get a price then he told me that we dont lose anybody to a price. So i left and went down the street to priorty. I walked in there and just walked around and no one came out to talk to me. Then i walked up to a salesman and i asked him if i could take a look at a couple of cars. He kinda blew me off then i walked back outside and looked around a little more. I saw this white tl and a black mdx. I walked back inside and talked to the guy in charge and asked him if i could get a salesman to help me. He was like sure. Then when i told them that the two cars i wanted they gave me an ok price but when i told them i would get back to them they started to freak out and try to pressure me into the sale. So i got up and walked out. Then I went back about a week later and talked to the same guy and i laid cash down on the table and somehow the price went up 1000 dollars on each car. So i was like i am not going to do bisuness with them. Then i went to newport news acura and they just straight blew me off and told me that i didn't seem like i could buy 2 cars. So once i heard them say that i went back to va beach acura and the young man was sitting right there and i handed him 73,935 dollars that was given to me by my grandparents that passed away. They did cut me a heck of a deal. There was a nice older man he was the floor manager. He was one of those New Yorkens. But I felt that i received the best treatment and the best deal at Va Beach Acura.

Based on my experience I recommend that everyone go to Va Beach Acura..

They're not only great people But you get Great Service & and great deals.

Call or go in and ask for this young Man he sits in the cornor desk and is head of the internet deparment.

Bob Smith
  • Options
    Interesting post - I almost missed the part where you bought two cars....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rjbkalrjbkal Member Posts: 2
    rerenov8r,

I too live in the suburbs of Chicago. What dealer did you find helpful. We are looking to buy in the next month.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I would go back to the dealers who blew you off and show them your vehicles. I would look for the highest ranking person working there and show them how their employees cost them a double sale.
  • Options
    Rizza Acura. Last July. They actually did an "electronic trade" for a vehicle that was scheduled for production to a dealer in another state. It came when promised. Very pleasant.

I live in the western surburbs, but the dealers there (and north) were intent on sitting on/very very close to MSRP. It wasn't like I wanted a huge "at invoice" deal, just something in line with the discounts that are available in other states...
  • Options
    sj_sjsj_sj Member Posts: 2
    Can you please provide me the name of the dealer.

Thanks
  • Options
    richard2004richard2004 Member Posts: 9
    I am considering buying a 2004 Acura MDX in Vancouver, B.C. How much off MSRP are buyers in Canada getting now? Thanks for any assistance you may have!
  • Options
    jeevesjeeves Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to know what price has a recent buyer paid for a 2004 MDX with Navigation and DVD (fully loaded) in Michigan - also do provide the dealer name, if possible.
  • Options
    jebivjebiv Member Posts: 7
    I can't speak for Michigan, but I live in Columbus, Ohio and I just got a 2004 MDX touring with Nav for $39,200.

This took some playing of dealers off each other (4) but I feel I got a very good deal. I also got body moulding, side steps and rear spoiler for dealer cost $170, $665 and $225 respectively.

Try Acura of Dayton. They valet delivery to your door within 300 miles, so depending where you are in Michigan, you may benefit.

There is more competition with the VOlvo and the new Toyota 4 Runner and dealers have inventory, so they will go much lower than MSRP.
  • Options
    mmhmmh Member Posts: 9
    Does the cost for body moulding, side steps and rear spoiler include installation?
    MMH
  • Options
    gty62gty62 Member Posts: 25
    It's really up to you and your dealer to negotiate - We negotiated the accessories into the vehicle price, before delivery. We got the BSM, brushed chrome side steps, full size air deflector, and cargo cover, for an installed price of $800 . . ..

Convince your dealer that, since he/she didn't come down on the sticker price too much, they need to work with you on the accessories!

Good luck.
  • Options
    bsaundersbsaunders Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying the 2004 Acura MDX with Nav, what are people paying in the Washington/Maryland area?
  • Options
    njgladiatornjgladiator Member Posts: 10
    read post #1162.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Also read posts #1049, and #564. Edog11(who wrote post 1049) made his purchase after reading my post #564, and e-mailing me questions. I don't know how the market is now, but the DC area dealers were not as willing to discount as deep as some out- of town dealers. If you need any specifics, feel free to contact me.
  • Options
    Besides taxes and registration, what dealer fees are expected? So far I've seen an average of $545 for destination and $300 for documentation.
    Are there other fees that may sneak up on me when I go into battle? Is there a way around the documentation fee?

Thanks.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Not sure where you are from, but here in the DC area, most Virginia dealers try to charge "processing fees" and many Maryland dealers do not. When buying a Honda S2000 a couple of years ago, I simply told the Virginia dealer ahead of time that they were free to charge me a $5,000 processing fee and another $5,000 as an advertising fee, so long as my bottom line was $32,000, except for state taxes and tags. Period.

Destination charges are part of the MSRP and invoice. Everything else isn't and fully negotiable. But to keep your sanity, just give them your absolute bottom line. For whatever reason, the Honda dealer wrote up my deal at $31.8k and added a $200 processing fee. The best deal I could have gotten in Maryland was $32.5k with no processing fee, so I came out exactly where I wanted.
  • Options
    jebivjebiv Member Posts: 7
    The costs did include install. I did neglect to mention that there is a $100 doc prep fee as well.
  • Options
    I went to carsdirect.com to get some pricing from local dealers in my area. I was only able to specify a base model even though I want the touring. It seems to have only been sent to (one) closest dealer to me.

What's a good site to specify the model I want and a couple of ooptions, and get prices from several dealers? I live in Charlotte, NC.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you tried the Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying discussion?

tidester, host