Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    icec97icec97 Member Posts: 17
    Wondering if it is worth getting the extended warranty? Another extra 2yrs or 50,000 which ever comes first for $1250. I usually put about 10,000 miles or less a year. And besides not recommended by Consumer reports. I appreciate any thoughts.
  • Options
    gty62gty62 Member Posts: 25
    Gotta agree w/ tbboth2 - you should be able to do better. I'm just north of Westchester Co., and got over $1600 off MSRP on a MDX Touring (no nav, no RES) - and substantial discounts on installed accessories. $1600 off seems to be what most folk who "shop around" are paying . . .. Try MSN's auto page, and go thru their free price quote service, or Edmunds has this service as well.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    My brother got his MDX last year and paid MSRP. Is the MDX the still hot item? I am t5hinking about one this year whenever the 05's come out to see if I want to wait. Anyways, can anyone give me a good dealer in the D.C. , MD area? Thanks!
  • Options
    edog11edog11 Member Posts: 12
    Pohanka Acura offered me the best price in the Washington DC metro area after several emails and haggling. I did not purchase with a DC metro area dealer because I found a much better deal out of the area. Good luck!
  • Options
    I know a good dealer-Tischer Acura at Laurel, MD. they offered me a very good price just over 2k over invoice or roughly $1800 off MSRP. This is w/o a hassle because it was thru internet. I would have bought mine from them but I live here at southern VA and didn't want to travel, much better is out of town. Get in touch w/ edog11 he got all the info. I got mine at Hall Acura, for a couple hundred more and hard negotiation but I live about 6 miles from them. Good luck!
  • Options
    smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks to all for the input. I am a soon to proud owner of a midnight blue/quartz interior MDX......Touring pkg, NAV, rear DVD + accessories. I went back today and chatted directly w/ the sales manager. Finally agreed to $1,450 off sticker AND discount on accessories (satin step boards, wood steering wheel, wood gauge panel, wood shifter, sunroof visor, window visors, tail wing (body color). Im happy..........now all I need is the truck!!!! I even got the finance mgr to come down on the rate.................
  • Options
    bostonmdxbuyerbostonmdxbuyer Member Posts: 7
    After much research and haggling with 4 dealers in the Boston area, I just bought a Silver / Ebony 2004 MDX Touring with Navi, running boards, wood trim, side mouldings, all season mats, and wheel locks. MSRP, according to the dealer, is $43750. Invoice, by my calculations, is $38480. I traded my 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS. Final price $29800 + tax and my trade-in.

Initially the dealers wanted to give me $6000-7000 for the trade. Kelly Blue Book priced it at $8600, while NADA priced it at $9600.

If the trade is worth $8600, then I paid $38400 for the MDX, which is invoice (or $5350 under MSRP). If the trade is worth $9600, then I paid $1000 over invoice (or $4350 under MSRP).

I think I got a good deal. But if the assumptions on the trade are too low, then it's not such a good deal. The next time I buy a car, I am going to negotiate the price on the new car separately from the price on the trade in - all the car buying guides say to do it this way.
  • Options
    By the way, I also got 3.25% financing over 60 months from my bank. The Acura dealer agreed to match it.
  • Options
    for the info.I think I am going to wait to see what if anything new is for the 05's when they come out or any info leaks out on it.
  • Options
    tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Metro Acura/Honda - Montclair, CA (So. Cal). Dealership very professional, knowledgeable of the product and most important - followed up by personally calling me after only 48 hours to make sure everything was just right. PS - the actual General Manager and Salesperson called me, not someone else who was not there during the sale and demonstration of the vehicle. Loved the experience and love the vehicle. What a change from my last vehicle!
  • Options
    njgladiatornjgladiator Member Posts: 10
    Interested in leasing an 04 MDX w/ touring package for 48 months ($2500 down). What should my monthly payments be ?
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Gene,

Where did you buy your MDX? I live in no. west and just started a search.

Thanks,

Ralph
  • Options
    gty62gty62 Member Posts: 25
    Got my 'X in Wappingers Falls, on Rte 9 - Heart Acura. I got their name from one of those on-line "free price quote" services - both MSN.com's Auto page, and Edmunds.com offer this service under either "research" or "New Car Info". . ..

I found their prices more competitive than Curry, but (like most dealers in the NE) basically had no in-stock selection. Ended up waiting three weeks. . ..

Good luck!
  • Options
    jamberjamber Member Posts: 21
    njgladiator,

I just leased a 04 MDX Touring
    48month/12k miles a year lease through AHFC
    $2,500 down
    $435/month (total with tax and fees) Based on a .00215 money factor.

I paid $35,840 for the MDX Touring ($163 over invoice)
    Edmunds TMV is $39,545 (which is MSRP)
    They cut me a check back for the equity in my trade, minus the $2,500 Down payment and first month's payment.

Don't freak out just yet!
    Here is where they will make their money...
    My trade, a 2001 Ford Lightning...
    Edmunds trade in value for Outstanding Condition w/ 23k miles was $21,280 on the day I traded it in.
    I got $21,500 ($220 more than Edmunds). Not bad. I was happy with that, since I tried to sell it privately for 6 weeks at $25k (lowered to $24k then $23k) with no serious buyers. However, I went back to the dealer to drop of the second set of keys for the Lightning and saw they had my trade listed for $27,999. Maybe they will find a someone to over pay that much, but will most likely sell it for $25k and still make money on the total deal.

I'm sure if I sold it on my own and my trade was not a factor, they would have never sold the MDX to me for the price they did. They need to make money somewhere.

The business office women said she never saw a MDX lease for this low... Maybe true, but they will make money on my trade, which I feel is fair.

Everyone I met at the dealer was great and I would highly recommend them (Germain of Naples).
    The gave little pressure and treated me with respect.
    The salesman did say to send him potential buyers but try not to mention this deal, because they could not do it again. He went on to say that I got the manager on a very slow day towards the end of a very slow month and they really need to move some Acuras.

We are really happy with our MDX and feel good about the deal we made.
  • Options
    njgladiatornjgladiator Member Posts: 10
    WoW!! Congratulations Jamber !! you're either a great negotiator or they were really really slow. I only wish to get close to those numbers when I try to make a deal.

thanks again
    Chris
  • Options
    michellemichelle Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone
    Just wanted to put in my 2 cents- I researched and haggeled- and ordered my Black on Black MDX My husband picked it up on Valentines Day--
    $40,745.00-
    How did I do?
    See Ya
    Happy Trails
  • Options
    Congratulations! I think you did great. I paid 40k even w/ NAVI and no RES. Great SUV, Enjoy!
  • Options
    jonjon221jonjon221 Member Posts: 2
    Good Job! I paid $41245 for a Redrock Pearl Navi/Res
  • Options
    I have been asking around and the dealers in Maryland say $500-1k under MSRP. Thats no where what you did. Anyways, I am really going to look further when the humming problem is fixed by Acura.
  • Options
    vannyvanny Member Posts: 3
    I called the Acura dealers in the San Jose area and got quotes on line or over the phone from all but Sunnyvale Acura.

The Pleasanton Auto Mall had the lowest price at $41,045 for the 04 Touring MDX with NAV and RES. I was told they had the color I wanted but after driving 40 miles to get there, they told me they didn't have the car.

Hopkins Acura in Redwood City matched the price and also restored my faith in car dealers. Very good experience with them. Very straitforward. They didn't try to push any add-ons.

Got the Midnight Blue. I must be the only one who likes it since they are discontinuing the color.

Thanks for all who posted here. It was a great help to read what others were paying.
  • Options
    markmark Member Posts: 16
    Just bought a 2004 MDX w/Nav and the following:
    Mahogany shift knob
    Wood trim (gauges)
    Cargo Liner
    Cargo Cover
    All-season Mats
    Color keyed spoiler
    Moonroof visor
    Color keyed Fender flares
    Color keyed body side molding
    wheel locks

Dealer MSRP 44,082 (incl dest)

Agreed price $40,715
    Docum fees 299.00
    TTR

Dealer is in CT has other units available. Contact me off-list for specifics.

I'd like to thank all the posts and moderator(s) herein for allowing me to research this vehicle and get this kind of pricing. (BTW Not even R. Case would touch this price)

Mark
  • Options
    Mark, you certainly got a good deal. The options alone amounts to $2337 and the MSRP is $41745. For $40715 is a steal. Let me put it this way, you got free options and $1030 off MSRP. Good job!
  • Options
    markmark Member Posts: 16
    I have to revise the final price. I told the salesmanager that I had just paid a $95.00 fee to renew the registration on the leased Mercedes ML430 that is being turned in 6 weeks from now. I asked if they could transfer the leased plate, they said it wasn't worth the time and they (Acura) would simply drop the price another $100.

I like these guys so far. BTW they have also guaranteed delivery in time for my lease turn-in or will provide a loaner MDX until mine is delivered.
  • Options
    horsesrushorsesrus Member Posts: 1
    I bought a base level MDX silver with ebony leather, added body side moldings for $35,000 including doc & prep fees over the internet from Superior Acura in Overland Park, KS. I live near St Louis, where one dealer lied when they told me they had two base models in stock on a phone call. They miraculously sold both in the hour it took to get to the dealer. The other in town couldn't beat this deal and since I was going to be in Kansas at the end of the month, what could be easier than this. A couple emails and phone calls and all done at a very good price I believe.
  • Options
    time4newsuvtime4newsuv Member Posts: 2
    I test drove some SUV's this weekend and particularly like the MDX. The salesman phoned me today and said the Midnight Blue Pearl color has been discontinued by Acura. He said if I wanted that color I would have to get one that's currently in stock since there will be none in the future. Is this a line I'm being given or really true? It's about the only color I really like. Anybody know for sure?
  • Options
    edog11edog11 Member Posts: 12
    When I took delivery of my MDX on Jan 27 2004 my salesman told me Acura had discontinued Midnight Blue. He claims I got the only one within six states of Ohio. He said he didn't know why Acura had discontinued but it was a popular color for his customers.
  • Options
    jswjsw Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my new MDX Touring with Nav. At first I did not want the nav but there were only two in the color in the state without the Nav and they were several hundred miles away. So I got the Nav. I ended up paying 39,857 which included three options 1)wheel locks 2)rear seperation for dog 3) rear spoiler black on above window. Originally, the lowest they would go was 39,857, but I really didn't care about the Nav ( I am now glad I bought it) so I was ready to walk. I had wanted the options so I asked dealers cost on them and it was about $478.00 I said throw them in for the 39,857 and we'll do it. So the actual cost of the MDX was $39,379 I was very happy with the service and the car. A little bumbed I still had to pay $1700 over invoice but it was by far the best deal I could find in Northern California. I do love the car!
  • Options
    Is it my imagination, or are the prices going down? As recently as Dec and Jan, it seemed that most people were getting $1500 off MSRP. The most recent postings suggest the prices are about $2500 off MSRP, and getting closer to invoice.

Thanks for everyone's postings and info. I am happy with my deal and will be picking up the MDX tomorrow.
  • Options
    suv04suv04 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks a lot to this board and the various messages on the Pricing. Got a Sandstone metallic 04 RES (no navigation) on Mar 01. MSRP was $41,045 including destination charge. Got it for $38,500 plus Tax and Title. Location is N.Va.
    So far looks good.
  • Options
    Forgot to add. Got financing 60 months 2.9%. I guess it is an OK deal. As it is N.Va, rather than drive miles to Ohio or someplace, this was the best I could get.

Thanks
  • Options
    where in VA did you go. I am in MD and am possibly interested but dealers around me won't budge.thanks
  • Options
    Sorry - as I am new to this board, I thought one should not post Dealer names. Checked the rules. Only Salesman names should not be mentioned. It is Pohanka Acura, Chantilly, VA. On the day I went (after purusing the internet route to get an idea), there was a lot of activity. They were really moving MDXs and the TLs. If you need the Sales Person's name, please let me know your email id and I will send it to you.

Thanks
  • Options
    petepete Member Posts: 1
    Pleae let me know dealer. Would like to get an MDX just like yours.

Pete Saybolt
    pianoplayer6123@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's not turn this into an email exchange. If anyone wants additional information they know how to look up your email address and make a query. There's no need to solicit email and it distracts from discussing Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.

Thanks.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is hoping to interview consumers who recently bought pre-owned crossover vehicles (such as the Acura MDX, Audi quattro, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Baja, Toyota RAV4, Volvo XC70, etc). Why did you go for a cross-over? Which one? How does it suit your tastes, lifestyle and budget?
    Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    riversideriverside Member Posts: 5
    I received a quote of $35,797 ( Edmunds avg price for premium MDX). I do not see many posts for the premium model. Anyone getting close to invoice with the premium model? I was hoping to get $2000 to $2500 off MSRP. I live in North Florida.
  • Options
    rrwrrw Member Posts: 1
    Anybody purchase an MDX in the Philly area. Was curious as to the pricing in the area.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    dkd2003dkd2003 Member Posts: 8
    I am planning to buy a tour/nav withing a month and wanted to find out what kind of prices people are getting in the san diego area. Thanks
  • Options
    time4newsuvtime4newsuv Member Posts: 2
    It's not San Diego, but the quotes I'm getting in the Orange County area for that package (same I'm interested in) is around $39600. I guess that's not too bad for an MSRP of $41745.
  • Options
    dkd2003dkd2003 Member Posts: 8
    Time4newSUV

Thanks
  • Options
    wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    Looking to buy a MDX Touring in the next month.
    Since I live in Charlotte NC the closest dealer here is Hendick Acura. Any experiences good or bad and prices paid would be appreciated. Looks like $2,500 off MSRP is doable??
    Thanx.
  • Options
    riversideriverside Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a Touring model for $36,174. I had a very good experience at Duval Acura in Jax, FL. Salesman was straight forward, no BS.
  • Options
    wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    to riverside

you got a touring for $36,174 or a premium
    What options did you get?
  • Options
    tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    I've put 1,100 trouble free miles on my MDX. Everything is rock solid and no humming sound or vibration thus far. I had such a bad experience with my last vehicle (Ford SUV) that I wanted to make sure I would be a true advocate before I started to provide more details. The buying experience was terrific - got 2004 Touring model w/ NAV/RES (white/gray)for $40,000 plus T&L. I guess So Cal has a larger supply than other regions of the country and they can afford to deal every once in a while. While this car is worth MSRP, no one should have to pay that - negotiate! Really wanted a TL but couldn't fit my family or lifestyle into it. Too Bad!!!
  • Options
    jevanburtonjevanburton Member Posts: 3
    I've received two good offers on a 2004 MDX Touring with NAV and RES. The first offer is for $1200 over invoice or $40,207. The 2nd offer is for $41,500, but with free oil changes for life and 2 years/24000 miles for free maintenance which I don't know how to do myself. Which is the better deal in your opinion?
  • Options
    badullabadulla Member Posts: 8
    Well that all depends on a few things:
    1. How much you spend on an oil change.
    2. How long you plan to keep the vehicle.
    3. What maintenance needs to be done within 24k miles and what those associated costs are.

I'm sure they are going to give you regular oil and not synthetic so lets say $25.00 per oil change. $25 * 4 = $100.00, so you would be saving $100.00/year. This assumes an oil change every 3000 miles and you driving 12000 miles per year.

So lets say you keep the car for 5 years, you would save $500.00 in oil changes.

I have no idea what the maintenance schedule is since I have not bought my MDX yet, but I don't think it would be much if anything outside of oil changes. Someone else may be able to help. But this number would have to be around $800 to break even.

Personally, I would go with the lower purchase price.

Hope that helps.

Dan
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The MDX is supposed to go 5-7K on oil changes. I personally change it when it starts to turn black, since I am mostly stop an go driving that has been about every 4K.

The service in the first 2 years depending on driving should only be your 7500 and 15000 mile checkups...that will also be your oil changes. That will cost you about $150 and $250 respectively.

So you get $400 worth of value there, $500 worth of oil changes (if you go to the same place everytime).

I would take the lower purchase price. You can't be sure you will be going to this dealer for oil changes every time. What if their service hours are inconvenient and even worse...they are just not good.
  • Options
    rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    $150 & $250 for 'check-ups' are an outrage!

Even if there is VTM and tranny service that is too high -- AND the quoted "deaker offer" is for FREE OIL CHANGE NOT FREE SCHEDULED MAINTENCE!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can estimate the scheduled costs (or just pick out the oil changes) using the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jevanburtonjevanburton Member Posts: 3
    I'm going to go with the $1200 over invoice option. I'll post the details once I take delivery of the MDX