Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    and your assumptions of what the altima guy was doing is realistic? right.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    the latest issue of Autoweek had a review (owners report actually) on the TSX. They praised it highly, and did compare performance to the V6 Accord coupe. They said it was about 1 sec. slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile (although a 7.4 ish 0-60 ain't too shabby). Notable, though, was the fact that they were about the same in 20 and 40 mph rolling start acceleration. So, sounds like once you are moving, it goes.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    There is a fairly twisty mountain road close to where I live. The road has many 20mph curves and a couple of 15mph curves. I decided to see how well the TSX handles, and what it feels like to have the VSA engage by attempting to take each curve at about 25 mph, gradually increasing to nearly 40mph as I got used to the way the car handled, feeling for oversteer or understeer.

All I can say is... WOW! This car rocks! It corners like it's on rails. The tires squealed somewhat during cornering, but the car didn't lose its composure. The VSA does a very good job keeping all 4 tires between the yellow and white lines.

I can't really see myself driving at the limits of cohesion very often, if ever, but I was very impressed with the way the car handles, even before VSA engaged. It's nice to know how far the car can be pushed- well beyond the point at which a passenger would scream "Slow down or let me out!" :)
  • uvdavaruvdavar Member Posts: 11
    Can some one please let me know if three adults can sit comfortably in the back seat or would it be a tight squeeze for the middle person.

Urmez
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Anyone know if TSX has a timing belt or chain. Also...is oil filter screw-on or canister and is it hard to get at.
    Thanks
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    there are pictures of the 04 TL at the car connection site, Looks pretty sweet.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Of course it will be tight for three in back. The middle person would be a little cramped even in a TL or American Accord and the TSX is smaller.
    If you need three large adults to have much elbow room, you need to be looking at MUCH larger vehicles.
  • bobshiftrightbobshiftright Member Posts: 16
    The TSX very definitely has a timing chain. As does the 4-cylinder Accord.

The center-seat position is tight even in a Lincoln Town Car or a Boeing 777!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Rear Room:
    Forget subcompact (BMW 3-series, A4) or compact (TSX, BMW 5-series, Passat) sedans, the rear seat will be a tight squeeze/uncomfortable for three in most midsize sedans.

Timing Chain/Belt:
    TSX has timing chain. Not sure about the oil filter though. It should be similar to that in 2003 Accord I-4 (if you know how it is).
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can anyone tell me if the oil and air filter in the TSX is the same as the 2003 Accord I4?
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    I seriously doubt you'll ever see a v6 TSX. For one thing, the Honda V6 is built in the states and the TSX is built in Japan. The JDM Accord has never had, and probablay never will have, a V6. There are also a host of other issues (like weight and size) that make it extremely unlikely.

As for a Type-S, that will probably happen a few years down the road. Acura tends to introduce that designation a few years into a model run. It raises interest in a car that has been out for a couple of years. No reason to introduce something like that now, with the TSX being one of the fastest selling cars in North America.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Well, I made it back! The ride home wasn't nearly as pleasant as the trip down, mostly because of all the RV's and 18 wheelers camping in the left lane on the highway.

Yes, this car is a rocket on the highway. All it takes is a downshift to 4th gear (3rd gear if you're going less than 65 MPH)...wait for an opening...and punch it. The TSX scoots! Also, maybe it's my imagination, but my TSX feels significantly quicker now than it did when it was new.

And what is up with all the drivers who eat sunflower seeds and toss the shells out the window? I had three different %#@holes in front of me tossing these slime coated husks out their windows and right into my shiny new car!
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You're not imagining things -- Honda motors are "green" until you get past the 5,000-mile mark, and continue to wear-in until about 10K.

Your performance and mileage should continue to improve as the miles roll by.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out the recently posted review via the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page. :-)
    Some off-topic and argumentative messages have been removed.

There is a discussion on the Comparisons board for folks who would like to *civilly* pursue a comparison between the TSX and the Mazda6.

Thank you.
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    The Edmunds review was very positive. I wonder why there was no comparison to the G35? Those are the 2 cars at the top of my list. I still cannot get past the bland styling of the TSX. The G is much more exciting. Why can't Acura make a car with exciting styling? None of the cars in their line-up are evenly remotely stylish. They should take a page from Infiniti's book. The G, G Coupe, and FX are perfectly styled.
    Among the cars you mentioned, the only one I like is G35 Coupe. The sedan looks tall and high (as opposed to the coupe which has a low and wide profile befitting a sport coupe image). The FX, IMO, is different, but ugly.

TSX is actually well styled. Better in person than in pictures. Nothing that stands out, but overall a good execution. And when a car can sell on more than just looks... it is good!
  • bbaldwin1bbaldwin1 Member Posts: 10
    The TSX is pretty bland. I keep going back and forth as to whether I think it's good bland or bad bland. The only time I've seen one in person is at the dealer, but the more pictures I see the more I think it's bad bland. The grill really kills it for me.

The G35 sedan is a great looking car until you get behind it. Those weird L-shaped taillights on the big, flat, truncated rear end are just hideous. (Let's not even start on the interior.)

I've been reading the TSX vs. Mazda6 thread, and the 6 may be great fun to drive, but how could you stand to look at the thing every day? I mean, looks aren't everything -- if you're interested in the TSX you've already accepted that -- but the 6 styling is just way too Fast&Furious, even without the spoiler & misc aero body junk package.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But the interior is not up the standard set by the walk up to the car. It feels cheap inside. Not to mention it's much more expensive when optioned equal to the TSX.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I have to ask - what auto design do you like since angular (TSX), modern (G35), bulges (M6) are out? Not a dig - I really want to know.
  • bbaldwin1bbaldwin1 Member Posts: 10
    I really do like the front 90% of the G35 sedan. It consistently gets my attention when I see one on the road. Just think it's ugly from the rear.

I think the VW Passat is a great looking car, as is the newer A4.

So I guess I like European styling that's conservative without being bland. Or something. The TSX looks fine, just wish it had more character and a different grill.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Cool - as we know looks are subjective. I find the Passat a bit generic. The A4 looks great. The TSX has a simple, unique design IMHO but it grabs me.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I looked in the back of the British mag "Car" yesterday at their "Good, Bad, Ugly" section that each month rates all the cars available in the U.K. This was their quickie rating for the Honda Accord (close to the TSX):

For: Styling(!), engines
    Against: Steering, <don't remember>
    Wrapup: A worthy A4, 318 competitor

The engines available in the European version go up to 195hp for the 2.4, but otherwise this is basically the same car. Not sure what the "steering" issue is.

Doug G
    European Accord is offered in two body styles (sedan & wagon) with two engines.
    The engine choices are: 2.0 liter I-4 (155 HP/140 lb.-ft) and 2.4 liter I-4 (190 HP/163 lb.-ft). A 2.2 liter CTDi (Honda's first in-house diesel) rated at 140 HP/250 lb.-ft is due to be released later this year or early next year.

Both engines are mated to 5-sp automatic or manual (2.4 gets 6-sp manual).

The interior is similar/comparable to American Accord (not TSX).

Sport package is not offered in any trim of Euro Accord.

So, TSX and Euro Accord are similar and dissimilar depending on what you are looking for.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Just out of curiousity, is the underlying structure of the TSX and Euro Accord basically the same? Thus, are the EuroNCAP crash testing scores for the Euro Accord applicable to the TSX?

Thanks.
    The basic underlying structure for all cars using the global midsize platform would be the same, and this includes Japanese/European Accord/Acura TSX, American Accord/Japanese Inspire, and the upcoming Acura TL. However, different trims and models may have different structural reinforcements to make a difference in the chassis. Differing regulations by the market may play a role, but I doubt that is the case for this car. But for most part, I would assume that NCAP results will apply.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    From the Autoweek link:

"The TSX has been criticized by the media for bland styling, but it will look better in five or 10 years than many new cars with more gimmicky styling."

That's pretty much the way I feel about it. How long did it take for those fast and furious taillights on the Altima to look dated? Maybe 3 years? I expect the faux-metal dashboards used in several cars will go the same way.
    The quote you referenced is from a TSX owner, not the AutoWeek editors.
    And...
    ...would be reasonably expected from an owner of said vehicle.

Ever heard anyone say: "I just bought this car, and boy -- it sure is boring to look at!"?
    Himiler - The point of that post was not that this owner said something, it got printed, and therefore must be the gospel truth. It doesn't matter if it came from a todder or god himself. It was a remark that mirrors my own opinion, which was the basis for the post.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that if you weren't always looking for negatives to post, you'd have seen that.
    Happy Friday!

(There, is that positive enough fer ya?) )*(
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    We found that the TSX looks very similar to many newer Euopean cars, the new Alfa Romeos and Peugeots especially. We had nearly bought a 3-Series BMW, but at pretty as they are, to our eyes the styling is now getting dated. After all, they have had the same look now since '97. The TSX is sleek and clean, and very modern in appearance.
    Bland never goes out of style, that's for sure.
    Neither does simplicity and attention to details.
    No argument there.

To wit, i-Drive! *makes sign of the cross*
    i-drive is anything but simple. I hate controls using jog dials.
    "i-drive is anything but simple. I hate controls using jog dials."

Me, too. I was referencing i-Drive as an antithesis of simple.
    Is antithesis of simple when it comes to using it.
    Okey-doke, let's drop the needling and get back to the TSX now - thank you!
  • rsr742002rsr742002 Member Posts: 64
    May I suggest that IS300 is a better value? You can get a fully loaded version for $29k (5-speed).
    And you get these important advantages:

- RWD with LSD and Traction Control
    - I-6 (218 LB/FT of torque vs 166)
    - ZR-rated tires
    - Better resale value

Just a thought....
    At $29K or so, the IS300 is probably still $4K more expensive than TSX, with less features (unless Lexus is heavily discounting its top trim level).

The only thing that TSX gives up is in terms of engine power, while FWD to RWD advantage is debatable. You get LSD with IS300 or Stability Control with the TSX.

The Acura feels better on the inside (IS300 has never appealed to me on the inside, very cheesy interior, and does not feel substantial at all). Exterior is, again debatable. Neither car departs too much from the ordinary.

TSX is a better value. And although the new (2004) TL will have 275 HP, offer performance package (tire and brake upgrade) to go with 6-speed manual transmission, more standard features for about $30-32K, I feel that TSX will be a better value.

And although Accord Coupe V6/6-sp may be considered the best value by many, TSX still rules, IMO.

Summary: I disagree with you.

BTW, how did you figure better resale value on IS300?
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    Can you really get a fully loaded 5-speed IS300 for only $29K??? The MSRP is something like $32.5K. I didn't realize they were discounting them so much. I prefer the IS300 over the TSX due to the better handling, more powerful engine, and less conservative styling. Perhaps I need to drive to my local Lexus dealer...
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Lexus has reduced pricing on the IS300 and you can get a "loaded" manual tranny one for about $31K list. This comparably equipped to a $27K TSX.

The IS gives you a more powerful six-cyl and RWD. The TSX saves you about $4K and has the six-speed. Everything else is roughly comparable.

Assuming you can look past the gimmicky stuff on the IS (chrono instruments, chrome shifter, clear tail lights, etc.) it really boils down to whether RWD and a six-cyl is worth $4K more. To some it is a bargain, others would never drive their cars close enough to the limits to notice the better ultimate handling of the IS.

The IS is due for replacement within a year which is the main reason for the discounting. If you bought one now, you should be willing to keep it for at lesat 3-4 years.

- Mark
    Independent of price, the IS is clearly the performance leader of the pair.

But, price is rarely a non-issue, so the TSX is the better value.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Value is in the eyes of the beholder. Sometimes an $8.00 gourmet burger is a better value than a $5.00 Burger King combo meal. I would rather spend the three extra dollars for something I perceive is a better value for me. The same applies to the comparison of anything especially cars. It is not the case that cheaper is always better because pay less get less, even if talking about intangibles. Even if the less expensive item has a couple of attributes that may deem to be more desireable than in the more expensive object.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What about the price for the 2006 TSX?
    Getting a gourmet burger is not about getting a better value.

BTW, I would be just as satisfied from either, the end result is going to be the same anyway! :-)
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Actually you place a value on every single thing you buy. To deny it, is to deny the obvious. While some people may be just as satisfied flying coach rather than first class, looking not at the service, but at the result, why even bother buying a TSX then? A Hyundia would suffice. If basic transportation is what you are all about.
This discussion has been closed.