Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    edited November 2012
    Many old cars can be relatively harmless and inexpensive toys. I know people with gambling or gadget addictions who waste far more money than I do on the old car.

I was out in it again, got a thumbs up from a guy in a first gen RX-7. Didn't see any other old cars on the road though.

Here's how she looked today, holding up well:

Regarding the tuition, I find things are more appreciated when one pays for them themselves :shades:
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    What a beauty!!! Would love to own an older car, a GM from the late '50's. Pontiacs and Buicks are my favorite right now from that era...tons of chrome...and the best part was that every year was a bit different from the year before. Just can't get used to modern models that have a life of 5 to 6 years with just minor tweaks towards the end of it's life cycle...cheaper for the manufacturer but kinda boring for us car guys!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Thanks. It's a photogenic old thing - unrestored, so not a showpiece. Luckily, patina has become trendy, so I don't have to feel bad that it isn't showroom fresh.

Old MB are more like modern cars in that they didn't have yearly changes. A fender from a 1960 fintail will fit a 1965 model. There were very minor changes, like small interior details, trim placement, etc, but the big pieces never changed.

Late 50s GM sedan would be a relatively affordable classic driver. Hardtop gets bonus style points.
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    Regarding the tuition, I find things are more appreciated when one pays for them themselves

When we can afford to, I'd rather not saddle my kid with huge debt right out of the box.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Our '80 Malibu was just the base model, and it was sort of a light-to-medium metallic blue, with a dark blue vinyl interior. It was a nice, tasteful color, but easy to lose in a parking lot! In contrast, our old '75 LeMans, which was sort of a persimmon/bronze (not sure exactly which, as in '75 the color chart lists a persimmon AND a bronze!) would stick out like a sore thumb!

I always thought the Classic trim level had a nice interior, either in cloth or vinyl, at least through '80. For some reason, I kinda remember the texture of the vinyl in the Classic changing for 1981? A friend of mine had a 1978 Malibu Classic sedan, midnight blue with a light blue vinyl interior, and that stuff seemed pretty nice...almost leathery. One thing I didn't like though, is how on the Classic, they put a cheap looking plastic strip right down the center of the seat, both front and back.

My grandparents had a 1982 Malibu Classic Estate wagon, but by that time they called ALL the Malibus "Classic". It was midnight blue with fake woodgrain, with a midnight blue interior. However, I can't recall if it was cloth or vinyl, and about the only thing I remember was there was a plastic woodgrain trim panel on the passenger side of the dash that, in the pattern, had what looked like the face of some horrible pig-monster. Nowadays it makes me think of that Twilight Zone episode "Eye of the Beholder", where Ellie Maye Clampett is considered ugly, in an alternate universe where these pig-monster people are essentially the cover of Vogue. But as a kid, I wouldn't have known that reference.

That just made me think of something...when they make fake woodgrain pieces for a car, are the patterns random, or all the same I wonder? If I saw that pig-monster face in the woodgrain of my grandparents' '82 Malibu, would it show up in all '82 Malibus? It's something I've never paid attention to, but I have a feeling the patterns are random.
  • Options
    at, of all places, the website of one of my mutual fund companies! If you go to www.americancentury.com and if it doesn't show up right away it'll cycle through eventually. Or click where it says "Ask Free Guidance". It shows what looks like a father and son underneath a Ponton, working on it.

Now, in no way is this an endorsement for their financial products...I just thought it was cool to see the old Benz showing up on their front page! :shades:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yep, appears to be a 220 series ponton. Looks like it might be wearing German plates, too. Odd stock photo, would have thought they'd have arranged for a 57 Chevy or Mustang or something.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    "would have thought they'd have arranged for a 57 Chevy or Mustang or something."

Those financial firms want to appeal to the fantasies, not the realities. Kind of like when one firm had a TV ad talking about planning for the future. Their example? A waitress driving off in her beautifully-restored 190SL...right....
  • Options
    A friend of mine had a 1978 Malibu Classic sedan, midnight blue with a light blue vinyl interior, and that stuff seemed pretty nice...almost leathery. One thing I didn't like though, is how on the Classic, they put a cheap looking plastic strip right down the center of the seat, both front and back.

I agree totally about that cheap plastic 'bolster' they used vertically that year, and so did my friend (red '75 Monza 2+2 and Cosworth Vega owner) who had a '78 Malibu Classic coupe daily driver some twenty years ago.

I like the '78-80 Classic interior with the dual folding center armrests, but it seems I never saw many with that.

I like the Malibus of those years better than the Montes--same size interior without all the overhang up front, and big coupe quarter windows. I think I've mentioned this before though, the Monte had stouter front springs. It was not uncommon, sadly, to see three-year old Malibu V8's of that vintage sagging in the front end. A friend who was a Chevy dealer parts guy told me once that the Monte had F40 heavy-duty suspension, not just F41. This was the standard Monte suspension up through the '80 model year.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    But it's the American way. Parents get the HELOC to pay for a toy, kids get the loan debt :shades:
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    But, with a $13K tuition bill due 12/12

What a bargain!! Really, how is the tuition only $13K?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That's one semester. I paid $13K back in late July or early Aug. too.
  • Options
    Oh I realize that. IMHO, $13K for a semester is a relative bargain - especially if it includes room and board.

Here in the Boston area, $40K - 50K a year is the norm.
  • Options
    Who fantasizes about a ponton though? Pretty stodgy. Maybe a fantasy about retiring to Europe?

That 190SL ad sounds familiar. Those cars have exploded in price over the last decade.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    The fantasy is the MB image, I guess...
  • Options
    Yeah, what a steal! LOL

We're paying 'MSRP' for Miami University.
  • Options
    Ah now I see. Miami University is a state school hence the reasonable price.

UMass in Amherst is similar - it's about $23K for the year. $13K for tuition and fees and $10K for room and board.

UMass does have a special scholarship for students who score well in the MCAS testing in high school that waives the tuition. The issue is that the tuition is less than $1800 a year. The rest of the $13K is FEES!!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Miami is a state school, but it's significantly higher than all other Ohio state schools (sigh). I could like living there myself though...it's a small town (ahhh...fewer a******* per square mile! LOL) but looks like Williamsburg.
  • Options
    I sure I am glad I graduated just over a decade ago. I too went to a state school - I am certain tuition has at least doubled. My debt load at graduation might cover one year for a student just entering today.

I drove my ancient car through my university years, too.
  • Options
    It's downright scary how much tuition has gone up! I still remember my first semester at the University of Maryland, Fall of 1988, and it was about $900. My final semester was Spring of 1993 (no, I didn't get a Master's, just had to get my bachelor's on the "Five Year" plan!) and at that point it had skyrocketed to a whopping $1500.

So even back then, we saw a 67% increase over the course of five years, which outpaced inflation by a wide margin. Since then it's really gotten out of hand. I just checked the U of MD web page, and today it looks like tuition is $4546 per semester, plus books, for a full-time resident student. Room is around $2900-3000 depending on what you get. And board is around $1800-2000, depending on the plan.

I know that's still cheap compared to a lot of schools but damn. How did we get from $1500 in 1993 to $4546 today?! And a room that you might use for 4 months at the most amortizes out to more per month than my mortgage?!

And yeah, I drove old cars back then, too. Although Mom's '80 Malibu wasn't *that* old at the time. When you factor in the age of the car when I received it in 1987, it was actually one of the younger cars I ever owned!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I don't recall the exact rate, but using a guesstimate of ~ 2000 compared to now, I come up with roughly a 78% tuition increase at my school. Not too shabby. I am sure rents have gone up too - never sure how those meal plans penciled out, insanely expensive. Luckily for me, virtually all of my time was off campus.

My car was well into its thirties by the time I took it to school. It got a lot of attention back then too.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Oxford is a great little college town.
    I think it was exit 14 off of I-70 and take a right just before the house with the 3 car garage.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,369
    We're paying 'MSRP' for Miami University.

Come on! Who pays sticker? You have to get into the dealer holdback!! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You could get a letter from the university like we did that basically said. 'We thought about holding down the increases in tuition room and board, but since we get almost 20 apps for each open slot, maybe next year'.
  • Options
    LOL... I'm just kidding.... I've got next semester's check ready to go... :cry:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I am sure rents have gone up too - never sure how those meal plans penciled out, insanely expensive.

You'd be amazed at what room and board buys a student today. Back in my day, you shared a room with 1 or 2 other students, shared a bathroom with the entire floor and had to step over piles of bear cans and unconscious drunks every Sunday morning. Today students live in suites with private rooms and baths and a small common area shared by 6-8 students.

Food service used to be whatever was in the dining hall and maybe a snack in the commons. Now there are pasta bars, omelet stations, fresh vegetables, et al available at all over campus.
  • Options
    My wife decided our student could take a car to school this year.
    Would it be the old, old '02 Explorer, or the old '04 Escape?
    Since the Escape had an oil leak that the dealer wanted $900 to fix, that was the choice.
    Let it leak onto their pavement, not mine.
    Just my way of 'Sticking it to The Man'. :)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    ...and the students will still [non-permissible content removed] that it tastes like swill!
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Bet a good private shop will fix it for a bit over half that. Dealerships bill like doctors and dentists (still cheap for lawyers though!).
  • Options
    I'm going to start with some brake parts cleaner and some high temp silicon.
    If that doesn't work call in the pro.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    And what does that board cost compared to the income of the menial jobs that students will have to pay for it (if mommy and daddy aren't generous)? Probably several degrees more. $3000 a semester for board is pretty pricey.

On the car topic, saw a Volvo 544 today, a decent looking unrestored maybe 68-69 Eldo, second gen MR2.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I am waiting for the email that the Burser has the spring bills up. that will be my last tuition bill for my son (he graduates in May). then I get a whole year off, before my daughter starts. Depressing, but at least for 1 year, I can feel like Rockefeller!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    no way a kid can work their way through school these days, paying as they go. Maybe a community college if they live at home, but not beyond that.

Not sure how easy it is(n't) now to find a FT job with a company that pays for tuition, without already having the undergraduate degree.

But, having been on a lot of college visits in the recent past, college food is light years better than it was back in my day!

• Options
    This is my first year.... a lot of bills to go...

So, my son and his friend want to move off campus to an apartment, next fall.. His friend went to see it with his father, this past week...

$1450 per month.. :surprise:

The sad part? $725 per month is still cheaper than living in the dorms.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    you can easily spend more per person at some schools. My son thankfully got into a rental house sophomore year with a bunch of other band people that was cheap. different room each year (moved up the pecking order), started in a double then 2 singles. I think it went from about $325-$450? a single in an apartment building up the hill from his place can easily run 1k.

He might live in a dump, but at least it is saving me money!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >$725 per month is still cheaper than living in the dorms.

Does that include a food plan in the dorm fee compared to the $725?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited November 2012
    His dorm (quad suites.. pretty nice.. honors/athletes) is $3600 per semester.... full meal plan is another $2100... (required for freshmen living on campus)...
    Spot in the parking garage is another $200 per semester..

$5900 semester for room, board and parking...

A semester is only four months... Not sure of the deal on the apartment.. it's geared towards students, so it might be a 9 or 10 month lease..

In my day, we'd have four people sharing a two-bedroom apartment.. We will see how all this hashes out.. after I see the first semester grades.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Even when I was in school it would have been tough to pay, without some exceptional job, and you'd still be putting in a lot of hours. Today, I can't imagine.

That food is expensive though - I guess someone has to be paid to cook it. When I was in school, most of the time was spent living in a big apartment with everything split 3 ways. Not what I would call a fancy place, but saved mountains of money compared to the on campus housing and eating arrangements. Was still no more than a 10-15 minute walk to school too.
  • Options
    oh, the off campus apartments are still 12 month leases. Most likely 7/1-6/30. But, at least you can get in early!

also comes in handy if you can get a job on campus for the summer, which my son did after his 2nd and 3rd years. Or if you want to stay for research or some such.

• Options
    Back in the days of easy credit - you know 2005 - some financial advisers were extolling the idea of buying a one/two bedroom condo for a child at college. Depending on location, it could have been cheaper to pay the mortgage than the room costs at school with the bonus of getting some equity in a place that could be rented out to other students in the future.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    interesting discussion (no, really) but we should maintain an automotive curriculum here :P
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The real kind, H1 I guess.

Not too many of those still around. Don't see many Hummers of any variety much any more, and there used to be tons of them around here.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I know this Mercedes in the ad is a 1972, but what is the model designation for these cars? You'd know this better than me :)

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3431297919.html

Also, while visiting my mechanic's shop the other day, he had what he said was a 1967 Mercedes 230. It was a rather homely-looking vehicle, and had a carbureted four-cylinder. Is it still considered part of the Fintail family?
  • Options
    That ad is a final year W108. Decent deal if it is as nice as it looks, but those engines drink fuel like their American counterparts, and be very leery of rust as they like to rot. Otherwise, lots of flash or elegance for the money, underappreciated car.

A 230 fintail would be a single carb I6, W110, made from 1965 until very early 1968 - the lowline 6cyl car. Later "230" series cars would be 4cyl, but not starting until around 1973. If it had fins, it is considered a fintail. Fintails are W110/111/112.
  • Options
    It was white and looked absolutely fresh out of the wrapper.
    Couldn't see any fading on the rubber trim, the lenses showed no fogging, and it didn't look like it was repainted.
    Glad I let it merge in front of me from a side street, so I could follow and observe it for a mile or so.
  • Options
    I remember how roomy those were for their class. Not the prettiest cars, but so practical.

GM saved them but then sucked all the personality out of Saab. :(
  • Options
    GM saved them but then sucked all the personality out of Saab.

Is personality what they called quirkiness and unreliability?? :)

If not for GM, Saab would've been gone many, many years ago. GM didn't do much for them other than toss them a lifeline for a few years but at least it allowed Saab to hang on a little while longer.
  • Options
    I guess I was being nice. :D

Bob had a 9000 turbo and the lag was frightening. Said his wife almost crashed it once because the power came on so strong and suddenly.

Ah, Saab. Known for turbo 5 doors and GM gives them Epsilon sedans.
  • Options
    Ah, Saab. Known for turbo 5 doors and GM gives them Epsilon sedans.

I'm confused by the 'Epsilon sedans' reference. The only post-GM Saab models I remember are the ones that were just like an Olds Bravada or Buick Rainier.