Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Honda Accord Prices Paid And Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    @darbebo‌

I agree... no need for a downpayment. Assuming, you have the capital to make up the difference between the insurance payout and the loan payoff...

Making a downpayment, just to keep from being upside down, has no benefit.. assuming that said money is still available to you at a later time..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    darbebodarbebo Member Posts: 14
    thanks guys, i think the only factor then is 1) would the dealer even approve a $0 down and 2) if i do 0 down would they still honor the lowest int rate available based on credit score.
    if they tell me oh you have best credit score BUT for no $ down we charge higher, then thats stupid
  • Options
    ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    allaw said:

Anyone got good quotes from dealers around SF Bay Area? I got one quote that's just below 20k for a 2015 LX CVT but everyone else is staying around 20.5k. Thanks.

I saw 2 people here posted getting it for 19,300 late last year... but same situation as you here in SoCal.. Most dealers are at between 20.2K-20.5K... just found 2 for a bit under 20K.
  • Options
    shouldiwaitshouldiwait Member Posts: 14
    For some folks, they'd like to keep the monthly payments low and pay less interest.

darbebo said:

Hello, new user here. I've been lurking around but is there any benefit in paying ANY downpayment for a car?

I tried googling but the main argument for paying a downpayment is not to be upside down..... so let me give you an example:

28000 car + fees, tax, etc that rolls into the loan = $30000 OTD. You do 0 down and drive off the lot (assume int rate charge is 2% for honda) with a loan of 30k. As soon as you drive off, your car is worth, let's say 25,000. You get into a car accident almost immediately , the insurance should be pay you the market value of the car , which should be 25k only, but now you STILL owe the bank 5k after you use the 25k to pay the bank back, which is the "upside down scenario".

BUT.....if let's say you put down 5k as downpayment. Your loan is 25k, you drive off the lot, car is worth 25k. Get into car accident, totals it, insurance pays you 25k. You owe 0. Great! but is it? you're still out the initial 5k you put down. So ending number wise, i see NO difference.

The only other argument i see is YOU PAY LESS INTEREST! Ok true, but how much less? I used a autoloan calc for 30k for 2% for 60 months, my monthly payment is $525 approx a month.

But if you do 5k down, your payment per month will now be 438 approx a month, which is a difference of $87, and over the course of 5 years, the "extra interest" you pay is only $258.33.

So i ask, shouldn't we put down as LESS downpayment as possible? and strive for 0 down all the time?

thanks!

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A tv reporter is hoping to interview a family that is currently shopping for a new car in the NY, Boston or DC metro area, and has not yet been approved for a car loan.

Please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, February 6, 2015 to share your story.
  • Options
    allawallaw Member Posts: 15
    End up getting the LX it at 20.2k on Jan 31 including add-ons like tinted windows, door edge guard, wheel locks and nitro plus which on paper is like 1.2k. Therefore I would probably consider the base car price to be a little below 20k, which is more than the quote I have at Jan 3 (for same price I can get lo-jack and alarm too). The dealer said it's because the dealer cash dropped after new year, now its only 500. So make your own judgment as to when to buy during the month/quarter. At least after checking over 10 dealers around the SF Bay Area no other dealer is willing to match this price. Quite a number are actually quoting in the 21k-22k range and not discounting.
  • Options
    alexxiaalexxia Member Posts: 8
    Hi...newbie here and facing what feels like a daunting experience looking at several cars including a 2015 Accord Sedan LX with Manual Transmission (don't want an automatic).

I'm in Tampa Bay and the best OTD price I've received so far is $22550 on a '15 LX with manual transmission and pretty much no options (car may have had floor mats or something trivial). I'm open to leasing or buying depending on the deal. Unfortunately it seems I'm doing pretty bad at getting a price compared to most of you!

How do you manage it? I used the TrueCar system and selected 3 dealerships a little bit out of my area - I then asked those same dealers for their OTD price...that's how I got the $22550. Everyone says "OK, now send that $22550 in an email to other dealers and have them beat it"...nobody here will do that. They will say "Sure we can beat that, just come on in" but I know there's no winning with these guys once they have you in person with their endless stream of salespeople, finance guys, good cop/bad cop theatrics.

I already have financing arranged through Capital One and I'd much rather buy from a very lightly used say, 2014 from a private party to avoid being ripped off, but it feels very hard to get a private party loan for $20k - at least for me.
  • Options
    Alexxia,
    You may not get the best price with Truecar...in my area, even the Edmunds Price Promise is much lower than Truecar... You should just go to the dealers website, and search their new inventory to find out who has the exact car you are looking for.. and send them a request from their website.

Around my area, I was being quoted $19,300 + tax/fees for the 2015 LX Manual. Honda is also offering .9% for 36 months, and 1.9 for 60 months.
  • Options
    2015 Accord Sedan LX CVT
    MSRP: $23,725

$20,000 (Paid)
    80 (Docs)
    1,807 (9%tax)
    29 (EVR) <--- WTF !! BS !!
    231 (DMV)
    8.75 (Tires)
    -500 (College Grad Rebate)

2/2/15 , Los Angeles area
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2015
    nice deal

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    andrewdruizandrewdruiz Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    My mother is now in the market for a new Accord. Last year I purchased my wife's 2014 Accord LX Sedan with a convenience package for ~$21,1XX OTD. I put $6k down and I got financing at 1.9% for payments of 264.XX a month. I also plan on trading in one of our spare cars for my mom's purchase, an '02 Civic EX sedan in good condition, can I use what I paid last year for my wife's Accord as leverage + the fact that I'm trading in another Honda as further leverage for my mom? I'd like to pay something like 20,5XX OTD or less if possible...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Supply and Demand, your area along with increased pricing from one year to the next play a big part in pricing.. ................................ No to your question. Round up the closest dealers making your best price at months end on trade in and new car price

• Options
    arsenal4lifearsenal4life Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I have been negotiating on a 2015 Honda Accord Sport CVT over the past week via-email. I targeted about 15 dealers around the area, I live in Southern California. After working on the deal, I finally got down to a final price of $21,655 plus taxes, doc fee, and dmv fees. I just wanted to know if you think the price is a fair price. I am going to buy in the next few days... would really like some insight. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Hello everyone, I have been negotiating on a 2015 Honda Accord Sport CVT over the past week via-email. I targeted about 15 dealers around the area, I live in Southern California. After working on the deal, I finally got down to a final price of $21,655 plus taxes, doc fee, and dmv fees. I just wanted to know if you think the price is a fair price. I am going to buy in the next few days... would really like some insight. Thank you.

Yes it is a very good price to buy.

• Options
    arsenal4lifearsenal4life Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the insight Brian. I wonder if there is room to cut down the price a bit more... The dealer that I got in contact with said that would be their final price. I have another bid for just a hundred bucks more... Both dealers have been really professional and co-operative.
  • Options

$21,655 plus taxes, doc fee, and dmv fees.

I have a quote from Feb 1 for $21,541 for the sport cvt. Check those dealer's inventory to see if they actually have your car on their lot. I also saw a post of someone who paid $20,900 last month.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Getting an OTD price with all fees,  etc on base accord sedan LX with 6-speed manual (i don't like automatic) and no other options for$21600 in Tampa bay with 2 years free maintenance. 

is this a reasonable price?

I'm not great at negotiating and hate the process but i don't have to buy the car this second as I've got a nice sports car at home
  • Options
    alexxia

breakdown your deal

sale price

dealers doc fee

include or exclude the destination fee in the agreed sale price.

• Options

Thanks for the insight Brian. I wonder if there is room to cut down the price a bit more... The dealer that I got in contact with said that would be their final price. I have another bid for just a hundred bucks more... Both dealers have been really professional and co-operative.

A lower price may be possible buying closer to the very end of the month. Pit one dealer against the next

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Brian,  thank you very much for looking this over!

ehicle: 2015 HONDA ACCORD SEDAN CR2E3EEW 4dr LX MT   
      Stock #: FA044416  
      VIN: 1HGCR2E3XFA044416  
      Miles: 7  
    PURCHASE OPTION
      Vehicle Price: $22,895.00  
      AutoNation Savings: - $3,511.52  
      SmartChoice Price: $19,383.48  
      3 Day Money Back Guarantee: + $ 0.00  
      Vehicle Selling Price: $19,383.48  

Sales Tax (estimate): + $1,271.51  
      Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $248.75  
      Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $6.50  
      Dealer Service Fee: + $699.95  
      Balance Due (estimate): $21,610.19  
    No Trade

sales tax is about 7% and is included. originally they quoted me $24.7k
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    alexxia

You have a good deal on the table. I'm assuming the 820 dollar destination fee is included in your price.

Invoice price on the 6sp mt, lx model ................... 20,236 ( nada pricing )

dest/ charge ...................................................................820

Total...........................................................................21,056

minus agreed sales price..........................................- 19,383
    ......................................................................................................................-

................................................................................ 1673 below dealers invoice price

minus dealers doc fee/ svc fee...............................-699

your otd buying sale price..................................= $974 below dealer invoice price assuming dest charge of 820 was included................... If not your closer to invoice price on this sale.

Your room for more price negotiations is dealers outrageous 699 doc fee charge.

• Options
    Dealer won't budge on doc fee... says it's company (autonation) policy. 

I'm trying to get another dealer, dealer 2 let's say, about 100 miles away to beat that price. Caveat is dealer 2 doesn't have the vehicle in stock and would ask fora $500 deposit to get the accord from another dealer. ..  plus i worry he knows I'm from out of town and will try to change the deal once i get there .
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If dealer wont budge on there doc fee make them lower sale price of vehicle .

Example.......... Email or call both dealers tonight . Tell each dealership that for x price you buy today holding with a credit card deposit to show your a serious buyer. Otherwise your still shopping around for a lower price. leave contact info then play out this month making your best deal at the very end of the month.

• Options
    It's working, they're knocking 350$ off
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Got them down to 21260
  • Options
    the longer you hold out til the end of this month.......... the better you will do

good luck

• Options
    20845$ otd, '15 LX sedan,  no options,  includes 7% tax. 

Bought car last night, very happy and thank you for the tips :)
  • Options
    alexxia said:

20845$ otd, '15 LX sedan,  no options,  includes 7% tax.

Sounds way cheaper than your original quote. Please break down the number for us.
  • Options
    alexxia

Nice job and good deal ...................... you knocked off another 400 dollars.

• Options
    woopigwoopig Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    2015 Accord EX-L in blue

$25,750 negotiated price
    + $139 document fee
    $25889 total out the door

At dealer for a total of under 40 minutes.

Fayetteville Honda
    Fayetteville, AR

Have been looking around the past week emailing the local dealers in the area. Only two had the car in the color we was after. We drove to Springfield, MO to Don Wessel, Honda all the way from Joplin, with check in hand to purchase for an already agreed upon price of $26,512. My wife does not get home from work till 5 and after an hour and half drive up there with an unexpected emergency stop because our 6 month old little girl had an explosion in the back seat. We did not arrive to the dealer until 6:45. A guy comes out and asks if he could offer some assistance I told him what we was looking for and where we had come from. His response is, "well we close in 15 min". He finally offered to let us see the car which is around back and instead of going to get it, had us drive back there to see it in the dark and invited us back this Saturday. Well this worked out for us! When I arrived back home I emailed Honda of Fayetteville a copy of the offer from Don Wessel Honda and offered them $25,750. At 8:01am I received a video chat email in return from the dealer. He wanted me to confirm my offer, which I did and wanted to know if they could do it for that price that I could come in today. I told them "yes", they agreed to the price and then I informed them we would be in after 6pm. Got there salesman was waiting outside at the door for us. Went inside they offered 72 months, $0 down for 3.89%, had filled out the credit application earlier in the day after we struck a deal on the price of the car. We told them we already had that deal beat at 3.49% from our local credit union. they wanted to know if they matched it, would we finance through them and I said "no", so we wrote them a check. Arrived at the dealer at 6:40pm and left at 7:20pm. The very best car buying experience we have ever had.
  • Options
    darbebodarbebo Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    Bought: 2015 EXL V6 Sedan accord Automatic , White, No Navi

Accessories: Decklid spoiler
    MSRP: 31315 + MSRP for decklid spoiler (honda site shows $299) = 31614
    *true cost of installation + spoiler part is less to dealer, but meh who can reallly say?*

27035.97 for the pretax/fees car price (includes spoiler cost+ installation fee)
    80 doc fee
    2169.28 tax
    306 dmv
    8.75 tire

29600 total OTD all inclusive
  • Options
    Here's what i got for the 2015 base model sedan with stick shift. .. so far I'm happy with the car and still feel good about the deal while understanding as some of you suggested, that i could have done better by waiting. 

The tips here were great and I'm bad at negotiating but using the internet,  email,  putting dealers against each other really helped. I didn't negotiate anything in person.

I would never have even thought i could get the dealer fee reduced if not for the advice here. 

Vehicle: 2015 HONDA ACCORD SEDAN CR2E3EEW 4dr LX MT
     Miles: 7 PURCHASE OPTION
     AutoNation Savings: - $3,895
     SmartChoice Price: $19,000.00
     3 Day Money Back Guarantee: + $ 0.00 Vehicle Selling Price: $19,000.00 Sales Tax (estimate): + $1,237.55
     Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $185.35 Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $6.50
     Dealer Service Fee: + $415.95
     Balance Due (estimate): $20,845.00 No Trade-In
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    alexxia said:

Here's what i got for the 2015 base model sedan with stick shift. .. so far I'm happy with the car and still feel good about the deal while understanding as some of you suggested, that i could have done better by waiting. 

The tips here were great and I'm bad at negotiating but using the internet,  email,  putting dealers against each other really helped. I didn't negotiate anything in person.

I would never have even thought i could get the dealer fee reduced if not for the advice here. 

Vehicle: 2015 HONDA ACCORD SEDAN CR2E3EEW 4dr LX MT
     Miles: 7 PURCHASE OPTION
     AutoNation Savings: - $3,895
     SmartChoice Price: $19,000.00
     3 Day Money Back Guarantee: + $ 0.00 Vehicle Selling Price: $19,000.00 Sales Tax (estimate): + $1,237.55
     Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $185.35 Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $6.50
     Dealer Service Fee: + $415.95
     Balance Due (estimate): $20,845.00 No Trade-In

Congratulations - enjoy your new Accord. The happiness of driving it will be around long after you've forgotten the financial details.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    rosesareredrosesarered Member Posts: 3
    Hi I got quoted $31,875 for 2015 accord hybrid EX-L. This includes destination & handling fees. The doc fee is $80. I live in the bay area. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    Paul NelsonPaul Nelson Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    Have a quote in Atlanta for a 2015 Accord EX-L sedan 4 cyl CVT:

MSRP $29,240.00

Selling price $24,509.00 (includes destination)
    Dealer fee 489.00
    Appearance pkg 119.00
    Decklid Spoiler 312.00
    Body Side Moldings 245.00
    Nitrogen 88.00
    Electronic title fee 52.00
    GA 7% TAVT 1895.25
    Tag fee 20.00
    Title fee 18.00
    Lemon Law 3.00

Total drive out price $27,750.25

Is this a good price or can I do better?
  • Options
    newman.................................. good deal.

If you want to haggle more the dealers fee of $498 , Nitrogen in tires $88 is your wiggle room.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Hi I got quoted $31,875 for 2015 accord hybrid EX-L. This includes destination & handling fees. The doc fee is $80. I live in the bay area. Is this a good deal?

Pricing on your model invoice =..... $29,312 + 820 dest/ charge = $30,132. keep on negotiating getting more dealerships involved.

• Options
    biboybiboy Member Posts: 13
    Thank you to all of those who contributed on this forum. In return, below you will find our transaction for the 2015 Honda accord Sport model:

Cash price: 20727.16
    VA sales tax: 842.89
    Gross Rec Tax:41.45
    Registration fees: 93.50
    Title Fees:10.00
    Processing fee: 585

Less Honda incentive: 500

OTD: 21800

We bought the car today Valentine's Day!

Happy wife, happy me!
  • Options
    shineboxshinebox Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Is a selling price of $25,062 a good deal for an EX-L CVT sedan no Nav?

In West Los Angeles, CA
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    shinebox

If dest/ charge is included its a excellent deal. If not included its good for CA.

• Options
    car4nathancar4nathan Member Posts: 3
    Brian

I am new to this forum and just going over this forum I see that you have been able to help many here. Your earlier comment about buying a 2 to 3 year old car is spot on and seems like the best value for money. I am interested in buying a used honda accord sport car. I don't want to hold on to this car for more than 3 to 4 years. I have always avoided tough negotiations in person and hence tend to move towards buying new where I can negotiate over email/phone - I find a lot of resources for buying new car and how to do the negotiation over email/phone. However I always find it difficult to avoid the car sales man when it comes to used car sales. Especially the buying process requires you to test drive that particular car. Any suggestions on
    1. Using the same email/phone tactics for buying used car
    2. fixing value of the used car (especially certification seems to skew the picture)

Thanks
  • Options
    biboy said:

2015 Honda accord Sport model:

Cash price: 20727.16

Processing fee: 585

Less Honda incentive: 500

Considering the honda incentive kind of cancelled that very high processing fee, is your car a manual or cvt?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Brian

I am new to this forum and just going over this forum I see that you have been able to help many here. Your earlier comment about buying a 2 to 3 year old car is spot on and seems like the best value for money. I am interested in buying a used honda accord sport car. I don't want to hold on to this car for more than 3 to 4 years. I have always avoided tough negotiations in person and hence tend to move towards buying new where I can negotiate over email/phone - I find a lot of resources for buying new car and how to do the negotiation over email/phone. However I always find it difficult to avoid the car sales man when it comes to used car sales. Especially the buying process requires you to test drive that particular car. Any suggestions on
    1. Using the same email/phone tactics for buying used car
    2. fixing value of the used car (especially certification seems to skew the picture)

Thanks

Some pointers/ tips with used car buying.

Knowing each cars value is the most important factor. How do I do this.?

until your sure what car you want to buy going to dealerships to test drive and check out vehicle is unavoidable. Once you have left each dealership you could always call back with a counter offer. So if your already at dealership Ask salesman what the cheapest price he will sell you the car for.

Web buying from sites like Autotrader etc is where you can bargain down price on vehicles. Via emails/ calls also

Knowing each vehicles value is the hard part. Educate yourself with pricing from Kelley's blue book price , Nada , Edmunds. Then compare to CarMax pricing vs Manheim auction prices.

When ever you could get the higher kbb price on a used vehicle you have done well

• Options
    kontechkontech Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at Accord Sport. I've only seen it up close at the auto show but have not driven it yet. How's the manually tranny handle? Most of my cars I've owned had manual transmission and I'm included to switch to automatic now.
    I'm in PA and haven't seen any big selection around now, so I'm looking in slightly used too. A private party is selling 2015 Sport trim, auto with 800 miles on it, asking 22k. Is 20k reasonable to offer?
  • Options
    15 sport model's invoice =$ 22,572 plus $820 for dest/ charge

20k would make for a great deal that private party won't like to make . At a sale price of 21k would put you at 1500 below invoice plus your saving another 820 dollars you did not have to pay for the destination charge.

Sport model 4cyl is peppy and the CVT trans is one of the best in its class

• Options
    rosesareredrosesarered Member Posts: 3
    brian125 said:
    Pricing on your model invoice =..... $29,312 + 820 dest/ charge = $30,132. keep on negotiating getting more dealerships involved.
    Thanks Brian125. What would be a good deal? Dealers aren't making room for negotiation
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Your model ( the hybrid ) is a supply and demand vehicle......... Advantage dealers.

Knowing area pricing with how and when to buy is the key to making your best deal. CA markets are better than most.

To get the lowest price is to pit one dealer against the next. How do I do this????

Contact as many dealerships Internet dept as far as your willing to travel to telling each dealer for xxx price I buy today leaving a credit card deposit. This shows your a serious buyer . You could do this via email or direct calls to each dealerships internet manager. If the Int. mgr. wont speak to you go thru his or her staff with same approach. I like to speak to each mgr directly telling each one........ I will buy this vehicle from you right now for xxx price. (Yes / no.) counter my offer then I'm moving on to the next dealership. Dealers that wont give you a price remove them off your targeted list. They are not worth your time and effort. Buying a car this way is quick and easy. Make each dealership commit to a price before you agree or hang up with them. That's why buying this way is very effective. Be in control of your negotiations. Not the other way around. Dealers love to hear.... Give me your best price. Then you get there idea of a good price. ( Just some helpful tips to further your negotiations along and save you valuable time). Be firm and in control. Use wording like..... I buy today for X price. Do you want the sale today?. I will buy this vehicle right know holding w/ credit card. I have no problem traveling out of my area for this sale . Do you want to lose my business to x Honda down the road. ETC. ETC

Weed out the bad dealers and play ball with the good ones. That's how you play this pricing game. Emails are just as effective until your ready to close the deal. Then you need to pick up that phone and negotiate like your in the dealership. In 45 years no manager/ Int mgr. has never refused to talk to me via phone about a sale that moment. Cant talk here is my number call me back otherwise I'll give my business to another dealership.

Below is a good target price for your model. Use the lower end number and work back up towards invoice price if lower price cant be achieved.................... 500 below invoice should be do-able.

700 to 500 below dealers invoice is a good target price to start on your model in the Bay area. . If you want to get a lower number you will need to get 15 to 20 dealers involved and travel further from your home.

Example ............................................29,312.........Invoice price EXL Hybrid model
    ............................................................- 500

...........................................................28,812 = 500 below invoice. This Excluding taxes , tags and dealers doc fee charge. make sure any incentives / rebates (do you) are taken of your agreed sale price.

Send out emails and start your calls to dealerships this Sat. and not before that time. holding out till the very end of the month ( if your target price is not met.) Pit these dealers against each other for your business.

No need to step foot into any dealership unless you have agreed on a price and are picking up vehicle. Negotiate from the comfort of your own home making dealers bid for your business and not the other way around.

Finding dealers with a EXL Hybrid on there lot is where your best deal may lie.

Apply what I talk about here it will help all forum members in every state.

Good luck

• Options
    car4nathancar4nathan Member Posts: 3
    Brian

Thanks for those tips. I am also open to buying new car. I am in NJ and I am open to working with NY / PA dealers. In this situation, what is the best price I can expect for a new honda accord sport?

All
    Honda is currently running a promotion for .9% interest rate, Has anybody pre-qualified for the loan using the hondafinance web site? Does it provide any advantage in price negotiations?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Try AutoSport Honda in Bridgewater, NJ . Excellent dealership and internet dept.

• Options
    prototyper1prototyper1 Member Posts: 3
    I plan to purchase an accord sport, new. I've been talking to multiple dealers via email and phone as I'm holding out till the end of the month. Lowest I've gotten is 23K OTD. Is that a fair deal or is their still room? Located in Ohio.

Thanks