Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,399
    This is correct.. the dealer will get the incentive.. But, they aren't required to pass it on to you..

Your leverage: Tell him you will walk away, if he doesn't share all/most of it with you...

If you are leasing, disregard this.. If you locked in the December rates, you are better off using them without the incentive.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Do you know the MSRP of the car you are interested in?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Agreed.. they stop making E46 325i this month.. The October thing might be a good idea, but bump it up to about April or May this year, since the new model is coming out early...

The idea is valid, but the timing is different this year..

But, as noted above.... you don't get much to pick from.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wtreachwtreach Member Posts: 3
    I've been shopping around (both myself and via a broker) and am hearing that the BMW factory may not be taking orders for new 325iT wagons because they are going to close early to start tooling up for the remodeled 2006 line. Have others heard of this, or suspect any truth in it?

The reason I care is that I want an exact color (exterior/interior) and options, and there aren't many of these cars around in all of California, so the dealer I worked most closely with planned to make a custom order to the factory. This must be pretty common. I don't want to get stung later (after signing papers) with the possibility of no more orders.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

NOTE: just saw the previous post, which also indicates the factory is going to stop making 325ia. This is pretty serious for picky shoppers.
  • Options
    Well.. I doubt any dealer will take your order without being able to complete it... I don't think you have much to worry about there... Now, your broker? He might tell you anything..

That said, I think it is too late to order an '05 325iT.. You might get a dealer to do a search for you... a possible trade with another dealer..

A quick phone call to your dealer and you could probably verify that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I looked at dealers production sheet last nite and it showed they had a few models into Feb....

"The incentive is good for the date when the car is reported to BMWNA as sold, and that date would be when the car is actually delivered, not when you placed the order".

hmm I was advised it would apply to an ordered car before 01/31/05, I will reconfirm that.

Also, no pricing to my knowledge has been released for the '06 they estimate a least 1k more, considering the new 325i will be almost equal in power to the outgoing 330i that would be a steal. hmm what to do

DL
  • Options
    "hmm I was advised it would apply to an ordered car before 01/31/05, I will reconfirm that."

It is a dealer incentive... As long as your offer is based on a solid dollar figure, and not "$XXX over cost", then whether they get the incentive or not, will be their problem.. Just a thought.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    i went and looked at BMW ag and the 3D interactive of the E60...wow

wasnt real crazy about the idrive dash hood tho.wonder what goes in there on a non i drive car?

going to be a difficult choice now.

DL
  • Options
    fireballfireball Member Posts: 9
    Well I can attest there is at least one less car to select from as I just pulled the trigger on my 1st BMW today... a new 2005 325i with the options I wanted: Metallic paint, Sports Pkg., Automatic transmission. MSRP was $33,145 and I was able to negotiate $3700 off which brought the price down to $29,445 (before tax) and inclusive of all dealer fees. I too, was concerned about waiting and the possibility of a dwindling supply in which to choose from... especially with the current $2500 marketing incentives now in effect. This particular car has just arrived in the port, final assembly in Germany, and was equipped exactly as I wanted so I went for it. I'm sure others have done better deals, but I'm happy and felt that if I could get into the car for $30,000 or less I'd be getting a fair deal and could live with it. I'll admit, the current incentive really finalized it for me...that, and the fact that I really like the current body style and haven't been too impressed by the styling of the new models BMW has recently released.
  • Options
    cheng6991cheng6991 Member Posts: 10
    MSRP is $43455.00
  • Options
    fireball.. Good deal!

You got the car you wanted at a fair (and relatively cheap) price... Enjoy it!

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    First... I have to say.. even with the $3800 incentive, lease numbers are not that great this month on the 325i and 330i.. Those that leased last month (as opposed to buyers) probably did better..

'05 330i

MSRP $43445

Selling price $37,375

Cap cost $38,000 (selling price + $625 acq.fee)

MF .00225

Residual 53%

term 3yr/45K

Payment pre-tax $553/mo.

with 8% tax included $597/mo.

Due at signing: 1st pymt, security deposit, registration fees..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    05-325i

Is there something wrong with your new car? It seems you have a bad case of buyer's remorse..

The post you linked is about '00 model 3-series.. I'm not sure what that has to do with prices paid..

If you are unhappy with your new car, then I am sorry... but, I'm not sure what the bashing is all about.. As you are finding out, researching a car after the purchase has been made, really has no benefit.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Congrats kyfdx !!!!!

But I must ask the question...why not the 330I ?

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    Thanks for the congratulations, but that was fireball that got the new car.. I just live vicariously through others...lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    afroallenafroallen Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, I have not posted before, but I have been an observer of this forum for a couple of months now, and I wanted to thank everyone for their advice! It helped me negotiate a good deal on the 330i and clued me in to the manufacturer to dealer incentive. I just signed the papers this morning, and should have the car next week sometime. Having driven a Ford Explorer before this car... I am super pumped about it! Here are the specs:

330i

- Orient Blue

- Performance Package

- Premium Package (sand leather interior)

- Xenon lights

- Heated Seats

MSRP: 44,170

Price paid: 38,150 (before TT&L)

Thanks everyone! I can't wait for it to get here!
  • Options
    Oops!! sorry, read it again and you are correct.. so congratts fireball !

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    You will love it !!!

This is the first car that I can honestly say I look forward driving since my 1967 Mustang almost 40yrs ago.....wow !!!has it been that long ago?

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    I would be super pumped, also..

Nice specs... and a great price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    05-325i05-325i Member Posts: 6
    I had to wait until my warrantee expired, like 2000 3-series owners, before I know something is seriously wrong with my new $37K+ car. After all, all 2000-2005 3-series has the same body.

How is this relate to prices? sometime people take a couple of months, searching for the right price (it's a full time job!), that they did not catch latest problems which is part of their calucation in buying a new car. Again, you get what you paid for!
  • Options
    Is something seriously wrong with your car? Is this the same car that has 200 miles on it?

There are over half a million current design 3-series on the road.. It is one of the most reliable BMWs ever built..

But, there is a thread for 3-series problems and solutions.. Perhaps you could post whatever problems you have over there?

silvernubira, "BMW 3-Series Owners: Problems & Solutions" #, 26 Dec 2000 10:56 am!make=BMW&model=All&ed_makeindex=.eea1744

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    BMW has how many hundreds of thousands of these vehicles on the road? How can any conclusion be drawn from a sample size of 10 people?
  • Options
    bimmer123bimmer123 Member Posts: 3
    In my opinion no you did not get a good deal, since you can buy a brand new 2005 with the premium and sport packages for under $36k (with the current $3,800 incentive).
  • Options
    _hotdosa_hotdosa Member Posts: 1
    I looking to lease a 325i. I got the following figures which seem a little high, I wonder if anyone could check them for me..

MSRP -- 30495

Cap cost -- 27275 + 825 bank fee

Rate -- 2.65

Residual -- 56% (for 15000)

Monthly payment = 309+120 = 429 without tax

Thanks!
  • Options
    ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    The MF (0.00265) seems high...it's equivalent to an int rate of 6.36%. Is this the going rate at BMWFS? If the int rate is 2.65% (equivalent to a MF of 0.0011), the pre-tax pmt should be around $356ish.
  • Options
    buymewhybuymewhy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
  • Options
    cheng6991cheng6991 Member Posts: 10
    330Ci ZHP has better lease this month. 30000/3yrs lease has 61% residual.
  • Options
    200 miles and his warranty is over ? Where is troll patrol when you need it ?
  • Options
    kyfdx...Thank you for the kind words and support! I should have the car by sometime next week and I'm truly looking forward to it!
  • Options
    WOW!! Congratulations afroallen! Over $6000 off MSRP is a "killer" deal on a great car!!
  • Options
    I'm sorry.. In your original post, you said it was a 330i, not a 330Ci..

You are correct.. numbers are very different for a 330Ci... Also, no incentive on that model.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    First.. this dealer is doing you no favors..

1) Taking into account the $2500 incentive, they are only giving you $720 off MSRP... Granted, this is a "stripper" car (no options), but $1200-$1500 off MSRP would be fair.

2) They are using a money factor of .00265 (this is different than an interest rate, an important distinction). The base money factor is .00225, so they are increasing it the maximum allowed.

3) The base acquisition fee is $625, so they are bumping it the maximum $200..

Even at this weak selling price, if they would just use the base rates and acquistion fee, your payment would drop from $425/mo. (thats what I get, instead of $429) to $402/mo..

So, your payment would come down by $23/mo, just by using the base rates.. If they drop the selling price another $500, that would be $15/mo less on top of that..

On this specific car, you should be shooting for a lease price of $390/mo + tax... $400/mo. + tax at the most...

At those prices, amount due at signing should be $1000 or less..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    goralgoral Member Posts: 146
    Before purchasing the '02 330i, I seriously looked at the '05 325is. The first dealer I called readily quoted me $4K off MSRP and I'm pretty sure he could have done better if I went there and was ready to sign on the dotted line.
  • Options
    ges1ges1 Member Posts: 10
    I just negotiated a three year 10K mi lease.

MSRP $38945

Sales price $36345

Invoice price $35710

Residual 61%

money factor .00125

This model is fully loaded except for Nav.

How'd I do?
  • Options
    500e500e Member Posts: 13
    Two things.

First, I think it would be helpful if posters said what city they got their deal in. Prices vary widely nationwide.

Second, who has paid less than invoice in the SF Bay Area for a 330i since the $3800 incentive went into place? Where, and how much less?

Thanks.

-- 500E
  • Options
    What are the BMWFS standards for a 330i 15,000 mile three year lease in terms of base money factor and residual %? Is there some place I can look them up?

Thanks.

-- 500E
  • Options
    Those are all the base numbers... I'd say you did really well...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    330i Sedan

24 mo/15k mi – 62% Residual Value – Money Factor .00225 Base Rate

36 mo/15k mi – 53% Residual Value – Money Factor .00225 Base Rate

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    afroallenafroallen Member Posts: 3
    > First, I think it would be helpful if posters

> said what city they got their deal in. Prices

> vary widely nationwide.

I am in Austin.
  • Options
    Who did you use in Austin ?

DL
  • Options
    jh87jh87 Member Posts: 14
    concord bmw, $ 5500 off 330i with MSRP of $ 42245
  • Options
    wongtommwongtomm Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to get a 330i this weekend at the LA area. If I can get a price similar to the price offered on CARSDIRECT, is it a good deal or not?

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to owning my first BMW :)
  • Options
    bimmer123bimmer123 Member Posts: 3
    You can do better than carsdirect if you bargain hard. In my case it took 3 hours, walking out twice and about 2 gallons of sweat, but I beat Cardirect by about $900 on my 330i that I just bought today. What helped me was that I shopped around at different dealers over the internet 1st - gathering prices from their competitors.

It was my 1st BMW purchase as well. I did not expect how tough these dealers were, being used to dealers from other makes. They just do not seem to like to sell a car unless they are making at least five hundred. But it CAN be done! Good luck! :)

P.S. I'm in the LA area.
  • Options
    vroom2vroom2 Member Posts: 3
    If you are choosing between a coupe and a sedan, it may be worth looking at the new residuals that BMW is working with. All 3-series sedans are now 52% after 3 years vs 60% for the coupe. That actually makes the coupe cheaper to lease than the sedan.

I was investigating a 325i and quickly changed my mind as the 325ci was considerably cheaper.
  • Options
    Vroom:

BMW is giving dealers a $3800 cash incentive. No such incentive is available on the Ci.
  • Options
    wtreachwtreach Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the posts in this board, they were a big help. Just to close out my little story, the dealer isn't ordering new 3-series, as was discussed here. The 2006 are supposed to be available starting in May, sedan only. If you want the 325iT, as I did, then you have to take something off the lot. There was nothing very close to my desired specs in all of California (because there just weren't that many ordered), so I am off to another brand, but I gotta say that I did have my heart set on a Bimmer for a while. Oh, and another tidbit, the wagons may be made again in about 3 years. Americans prefer the SUVs, so BMW is steering that way.
  • Options
    vroom2vroom2 Member Posts: 3
    Actually, there are "incentives" on all 3 series if you shop around (here in FL anyway). Just purchased a new 330ci and got a $3,000+ discount and the better residual.
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I got 325i MT, sports pkg, leather, heated and power seats with memory, xenon lights, MSRP was little under 34000.00.

$395 including NY tax,36 month, 10k a year. I paid only first month, security deposit and bank fee.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Wow... that is a great deal... Tax is about 8%, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Yes, the tax is 8.65, they also double tax on the lease in NY. I think I got .00080 money factor.