Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,399
    Did you lock in the lease terms from December? Sure looks like it.. Either way, it is a killer deal...

Congratulations.. get some snow tires..

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thumper1221thumper1221 Member Posts: 28
    I ordered my 325i in December with an expected delivery in February. Currently, there is $2,500 in marketing support offered until January 31. The dealer has committed to me that my purchase price will be adjusted if any incentives are available in February.

Based on BMW's past history, is it likely that BMW will keep or increase this incentive in February?
  • Options
    dsienickidsienicki Member Posts: 1
    Sounds great! I'm in DC, but I'd drive to NY to get that deal. What dealership?
  • Options
    At some point, incentives always end... Usually, at that time, the dealer will mark the unit as "sold", and get the incentive from BMW.. So, even if you buy after the incentive ends, you should still benefit from it.. But, this is for in-stock units..

My personal feeling, is that these incentives won't end at the end of the month... but, of course, that is no guarantee.. I suppose they could increase, but they are pretty aggressive, already..

If you are open to leasing or buying, then it is probably 99% certain that a comparable deal to what they have this month, will still be there next month... We only have to look back at December for an example... If you leased in December, you got a better deal than in January, but if you were buying, January is the better month...

In the past... dealer cash incentives only ended at the end of the model year, when there were very few units left to sell.. I don't think we are at that point.. Leasing incentives come and go, however...with not a lot of rhyme or reason..

I don't think you can lose... You negotiated a price you were happy with... got the exact car you wanted... If the incentives are there next month, it is a windfall... If not, you get what you wanted, anyway.. I hope it is still there for you... I don't see that you have any options, either way..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    When do they want to run out of 3 Series, If 06 US launch is still May.I checked local Dallas stock and theres between 8-82 cars at respective dealers.So if the intention with the incentive is to sell as many of those by 01/31/05 im not sure..

DL
  • Options
    They were making E46s all the way to the end of January... So, they'll keep coming in to the US dealers at least through early April..

They always list incentives as expiring at the end of the month... so, they can generate a sense of urgency, and so they can change it to match market conditions...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I made this deal in December at Paul Miller BWM in Wayne NJ. The car was ordered 12/31/04, I'm hopping to get it by the end of February.
  • Options
    lgttlgtt Member Posts: 10
    I ordered a 325i on 12/22/04 and was notified by the dealer today that the car is built and awaiting transport.
  • Options
    rnxrnx Member Posts: 1
    Afroallen

Which dealership/state did you buy your vehicle from?

Thanks
  • Options
    valley_westvalley_west Member Posts: 2
    I just signed the purchase contract for 325i, but have not given my check as there is a little scratch that the dealership promised to fix tomorrow:

325i manual transmission + metallic paint

MSRP $30,400

Invoice $25,900 (including MECA, training service fee and the $2500 incentive)

The price I got is $26,700. They added $45 document fee after this price, but threw in the floor mats. Is this a good deal? I am in LA area.
  • Options
    bimmer123bimmer123 Member Posts: 3
    Its a pretty good deal, but you probably could have gotten a little closer to the invoice price (depending on the dealership). Then again it might not worth spending hours of your time for a few hundred dollars. I got $300 over invoice on my 330i but it took me quite a bit of effort and time haggling with multiple dealerships. I'm in the LA area as well.
  • Options
    Yes.... a good deal.. it would be hard to get into a new 3-series for less.. and probably hard to find a new car with so few options...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    valley_westvalley_west Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the confirmation. I learned a lot including the incentive from this forum and it really helped. I had the feeling that I could probably knock down another $200 but gave up in the end because I just felt so tired and sad by their bombardments of arguements (one guy even said I was stealing their car and profit with such a steep discout, while I think I am still giving them enough profit!).

This is my first BMW. My strategy was to get the base model with manual transmission (I really like the stick shift). There are several dealerships here that have those models. Unfortunately the starting experience is not such a positive one to me at this dealership, but I hope I will soon forget the ugly buying experience and enjoy driving my first bimmer. Thanks!
  • Options
    bb101bb101 Member Posts: 7
    I found this board to be very helpful so I wanted to pass along the price I paid last weekend for 2005 325i with auto, leather, sport package, power seats, and silver gray metallic paint.

MSRP = $35,590

Edmunds invoice= $32,660

My price = $31,300 plus TTL and floor mats

Taking into account the $2,500 dealer marketing support, I paid about $1,100 over dealer cost. Also received about $1,500 over KBB for my trade in. Dealer seemed to be very motivated to move the 2005's considering the deal I got and the fact they had many on the lot.

And I love the car! Good Luck!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    Please let us know dealership name, city, and state so that others can benefit!

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    postnewbiepostnewbie Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle :). I am looking into leasing a vehicle also for the first time. I see that BMW is having a lease special as follows:

Vehicles registered outside of N.Y.

$309 First month’s payment

$2,500 Down payment

$350 Security Deposit

$3,159 Cash due at signing

I would also like to know the general consensus on how BMW Leasee's are treated when they turn in their vehicles. I heard that Honda (AFHA) are pretty lenient on their "excessive wear and tear" clause can I expect the same of BMW? Or since these are premium vehicles should I expect a more aggressive attitude? Please give me any advice you can and thank you in advance.

Below is some of the fine print on the website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/325iSedan/programs.htm?PanelID=4

$309.00 for 36 months based on MSRP of $31,270.00 (includes automatic).

$.20 per mile for miles driven in excess of 10,000 miles per year .

Purchase option at lease end for $18,449.00

(Total lease payments including acquisition fee is $11,124.00)

$3,159.00 due at signing includes first month’s payment, down payment and security deposit.
  • Options
    330blast330blast Member Posts: 49
    Well, I was not the lucky guy :( but one of my friend just bought this car with my help. Here is the detail:

2005 330i

Jet black, Auto, ZHP, Xenon, Heated seat.

MSRP: $42,770

Invoice: $39,190

Dealer cost with incentive: $$35,390

Price paid: $36,600

So it's about $1,200 over their cost, we might be able to knock down another $400 or so, but it's kind of hard to find the color and option matched well.

We bought it at Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo, CA (bay area).

BTW, I am still enjoying my 2001 330i :)
  • Options
    I'm sure member kyfdx, who is a BMW leasing guru, will be along shortly - he's much wiser in the ways of leasing than I. But, as gently as I can, let me advise you to NOT put down $2500 on a lease. If the vehicle is wrecked or stolen at any time during your lease, the insurance will pay off what you owe to the finance company only.

Let's say, horrible case scenario, that the car is totalled 2 months after you lease it. The finance company will be paid off, so in that sense you won't owe any more payments. But you'll be without a vehicle and need to buy another one, and you've just lost your $2500 down payment.

And, consider whether 10,000 miles per year is really enough for you.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    Good deal.. $3800 of incentive money goes a long way..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This is the standard advertised lease deal on the 325i.

The 325i has a $2500 manufacturer-to-dealer incentive right now.. Taking that into account, this lease deal assumes a discount of about $900 from MSRP.. and a selling price of about $27,870

Any advertised deal that involves a downpayment can be done without the downpayment.. Of course, this will raise the monthly payment, but as Kirstie noted.. it is never a good idea to make a downpayment on a lease... They structure the deals this way, to make the car seem less expensive..

So, down to nuts and bolts...

1) Make no downpayment.. Just 1st pymt and security deposit upfront.. This raises the payment to $384/mo.+tax

2) Go for 12K miles/yr.. These are the cheapest miles you can buy.. raises payment by $8/mo.

So now.. we are up to $392/mo. + tax, with about $800 due at signing...

But, we'll assume you can get another $600 off of the selling price.. This drops the payment to $374/mo. + tax..

The car has an MSRP of $31,270.. this means the only option is an automatic transmission. Sunroof is standard.. no cruise, no power seats, no trip computer, leatherette (vinyl) interior, etc, etc..

So.. you want a more expensive 325i? Take the MSRP and multiply it by 0.012 This will give you an approximate monthly payment + tax.. With only 1st payment, security deposit, and title/registration/licensing fees upfront.

Oh.. the lease and incentive numbers are only good until the end of the month... hope this helps.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    "I'm sure member kyfdx, who is a BMW leasing guru, will be along shortly"

Guru... I like that..

I love my job.. when is payday? lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I thought about "the grand poobah of leasing," but it doesn't fit so well on the business card. And payday coincides with the receipt of said business cards... keep checking.

Thanks for the extensive advice, though - I am math deficient, and often have trouble running the exact numbers (especially when people include the generic "tax included" line!).

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    pjtpjt Member Posts: 36
    "The 325i has a $2,500 manufacturer-to-dealer incentive right now".

Does the current incentive include the convertible? Also, are there any ongoing incentives on the 330i convertible? Finally, are any incentives applicable to European Delivery vehicles?

Thanks for any information.

pjt
  • Options
    The answer is no to all...

$2500 on 325i

$3800 on 330i

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jreuterjreuter Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the market for a 325xi. The dealer expects to see some manufacturer to dealer money in the next month or two on the 325xi but doesn't know how much or when. If there will be dealer money in February, I'll go with the 325xi. If not, I'll be going with something else. Does anyone have any insights into the timing of future BMW to dealer incentives or does BMW not leak this info?
  • Options
    They never leak it.. It doesn't come out until the day it is valid...

Pretty good lease deals right now.. but, if I were purchasing, I'd wait for incentives.. But, no guarantee they will come..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    icanflyicanfly Member Posts: 7
    How much should i expect to pay for a BMW 330 with auto, heated seats, and xenons. What would be the price difference between that and a BMW 325 with the same options
  • Options
    postnewbiepostnewbie Member Posts: 5
    kyfdx,

WOW!! No wonder why Kirstie called you the guru. It was like stepping into your private office of financial advice :) And finding out I might be in over my head.

So from what your saying manufacturer leases are indeed pretty decent but I should tweak it for 12k and no money down. and the 0.012 factor should help me out with figuring a rough estimate. I take it this factor only applies to this particular deal?

I plan on leasing in the next couple of months and want to be a well informed buyer before heading into the lion's den. So the expiration dates do not mean much for me and hopefully these deals might come back.

I also posted a question in the Mercedes Benz C-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience POST 151. I hope when you have a moment if I can impose on your gracious office again to have you review the Mercedes C230 Sport sedan lease.

Again thanks a bunch!!!
  • Options
    Exactly... the $0.012 X the MSRP was just for the 325i this month..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    325i MSRP $32,470... target price $28,400

330i MSRP $38,870... target price $33,000

You may find a 325i equipped that way.. but, most 330i will have more options than that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I feel like a dope for having gotten a CPO.

Those are good prices.
  • Options
    Before you beat yourself up, just remember how many times BMW has ever had dealer cash? Also not long ago a lot of buyers were still paying MSRP.

enjoy the ride,

DL
  • Options
    You can only go by the info you have at the time... I bought a used '03 325i in December of '03.. got a really good deal on it.... Not CPO, but only 7K miles.. $29,500... I researched the car for almost a year...

Now, when I see that I could get a loaded '05 330i for only $36K, it makes me want to kick myself...

But... I needed a car then.. lease was coming due, etc, etc..

If we all had crystal balls....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kdogkdog Member Posts: 23
    Just wanted to give a feedback on the dealership. I had a horrible experience with Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo ,CA. I went there last year to look for a new 330i. After being told countless lies and lead around, I just left. I was not treated professionally nor seriously. This was my experience and was backed by others who went car shopping there. I eventually bought my 330i in San Francisco.
  • Options
    sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    I think I paid too much for a 24 month lease on a 2004 325i, mid-Sept last year. It has Premium and Cold Weather packages, leather, and steptronic. The adjusted cap cost was $33,621. The residual was set at $24,222, so I was left paying off the $9,399 decline in value + $3,262 "rent charge" (total = $12,661) at $527.55 per month for the 24 months with 12,000 miles per year.

Anyone else take out a lease anything like that around the same time?
  • Options
    Thanks for your response to my inquiry concerning incentives for European Delivery (ED) vehicles. If I may impose yet again...I have never considered ED before now and could benefit from an informed perspective. Do dealers view ED deals any differently than non-ED deals? Besides the inherent 7% ED discount, is the dealer willing to offer further discounts off the net MSRP? In other words, is the ED MSRP the bottom line? Also, does it matter whether we're interested in a lease vs. purchase deal, i.e., is there any reluctance to lease an ED vehicle? Thanks again. pjt
  • Options
    1) You can negotiate off the ED MSRP, just like you would off the US MSRP..

2) An advantage of ED to the dealer: the sale doesn't come out of their allocation.. So, it is basically an extra sale.. Advantage to the consumer: dealer pays no advertising fees on ED cars.. can pass that savings along..

3) Leasing: BMWFS makes one payment for you, but money factor is slightly higher.. this sort of makes up for the fact that you won't have the car for six weeks during the lease... Dealer shouldn't have any reluctance to lease vs. buy.

Take a couple of hours, and read this thread.. lots of good info..

erickpl, "BMW Owners: European Delivery" #1, 5 Sep 2002 10:42 am

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sfcharlie..

First, not sure what you will gain from this exercise... but, no problem..

Get out the paperwork.. I'll need some more figures if you have them..

MSRP

Selling price

Amount due at signing (with a breakdown of what that includes, if you have it).

There are a lot of variables in a lease, but if you have those figures, I can give you an idea of what kind of deal you received.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx...

I'm not looking to make myself feel bad by re-examining the lease. More in the spirit of Santyana: "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it." I think I'll learn for the next time.

So...

MSRP = $28,100

Total suggested retail price (w/options)= $35,620

Gross capitalized cost was $34,015

Capitalized Cost reduction = $394.57

Adjusted cap cost was $33,620.43

Residual was set at $24,221.60

Rent charge = $3,262

So I was left paying off the $9,399 depreciation + $3,262 "rent charge" (total = $12,661) at $527.55 per month for the 24 months + $38.26 Sale Use Tax for a total monthly payment of $565.81 for 24 months.

I think the money factor was .0023

Whatever you can do...

Thanks, kyfdx

SFCharlie

Amount due at signing = $1,267.00

Amount due at signing = $394.57

First monthly payment = $565.81

Initial registration fees = $273

DMV Electronic Titling fee = $28.62

Document preparation fee = $5.00
  • Options
    Okay...

1) The good news.. they used the base rates to figure your lease... The money factor was .0022 and it looks like you had the security deposit waived, resulting in a money factor of .00235

2) It looks like the sale price was $33,490.. adding the $525 acquisition fee on gives you the gross cap cost of $34,015..

That is a discount of $2130 from MSRP... but, BMW had a $1500 dealer incentive in September.. So, that is probably the worst part of the deal.. Only about $630 off "dealer cost".

So, nobody got hurt.. The dealer got that incentive and didn't let you in on it...but nothing requires them to do that.. If you had been aware of it, and negotiated another $1000 off the selling price, it would have lowered the payment by about $40/mo...

My other advice would be: Check out the residuals for other lengths of term.. The 2yr/24K lease in September had a residual of 68%... The 3yr/36K lease was only 7% lower... Even with everything else the same, the payment on a 3yr lease would have only been $460 + tax, or $87/mo. less... Also, you are better off making the security deposit and getting the lower money factor... In the end, it saves you a couple hundred dollars..

To recap.. they had an incentive you probably didn't know about.. shouldn't waive the security deposit, and the three year term would have been a better deal..

But, no one ripped you off, or tried to take you to the cleaners in the finance office, etc.. It looks like everything was aboveboard... Two-year leases just weren't that great of a deal at the time, on that car..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    icanflyicanfly Member Posts: 7
    How much should i expect to pay for a BMW 330 with auto, heated seats, premium and xenons. Its similiar to the question i posted above. And what dealers should i deal with? do you have any reccomendations kyfdx?
  • Options
    2005 325i Step,Lea,power seat

$33715.00 sales price $29,572.00 OR lease

o down $399.00x36 months 10k miles a year.

Looks like about 1k over adjusted invoice not too bad. But over 14k in lease payments for 36 months does not look to good.Sounds like the residual is too low to me, that car should fetch 20-21k even on a trade in....

DL
  • Options
    kyfdx...Thanks for that education...SFCharlie
  • Options
    That post was done late at night.. $460 is $67/mo. less, not $87...

And your price was equivalent to $630 off MSRP, not $630 off dealer cost...

The rest of the post looks good, though..lol

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Well.. technically, the incentive is only good through today...

But, targeting a price of $6000 off MSRP on a 330i would be a good deal, considering the $3800 incentive..

I don't really have any dealer recommendations.. especially, since I don't know where you live..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The lease price is okay, if it includes the acquisition fee in the cap cost...

Residual? That is set by BMWFS... You won't see an artificially high residual on a lease, if BMW is paying the dealer a $2500 incentive..

'03 models are only bringing $21K-$22K right now on trade... and they are only two years old, not three... And a 33,715 MSRP is not exactly "loaded". I think the residual is realistic..

If you bought that car, the payment would be about $560/mo.. So, $399/mo doesn't seem too bad... But, the incentives are all in the purchase price.... so, there is no inherent advantage in leasing the car, from a price standpoint.. given the current terms..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hmm my 323i Sport had an original MSRP of about $33700.00 and after 40 months i got allmost 21k.I agree at least thru today the purchase is the better deal.

DL
  • Options
    kyfdx:

Thanks again for taking the time to enlighten us re: all things ED! In item (3) you write, "BMWFS makes one payment for you ..."; will you elaborate on this? In the meantime, I've spent a little time in the ED forum that you recommended and it has some very good information. Thanks. pjt
  • Options
    It is a fairly recent change.. Part of the problem was the reluctance of people to lease on ED, because of the time they would be without the car...

So, when you sign the paperwork, you make your first payment upfront as usual, but BMWFS waives your second payment..

But, nothing in life is free.. The money factor on an ED lease is .0003 higher.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    needashowerneedashower Member Posts: 39
    Anyone hear of any dealer cash for the XIs?