Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    I'm not in SC, but I have a few general comments. As you state, the MSRP for the 2wd LX model is $21195. You mention that you saw an invoice price of $18847. Using my estimation I derived an invoice of about $19135 from a honda dealer site which lists the invoice prices. The invoice that the dealers usually quote to potential buyers includes a markup for costs of running the business, like advertising etc. I have found that this markup to the invoice is usually 2 to 3 percent, but in this case it seems to be substantially more.
    Apparently in your area the demand is high which permits the dealer to ask for approximately $1600 more than my invoice estimate out of the $2060 difference between MSRP and invoice.
    When you check the inventories of your local dealers, do they have many cars available? Are you dealing with the internet sales rep? Does the dealer charge extra for doing the paperwork (admin fee) and putting air in the tires and oil in the engine (dealer prep)? If you can't wait for a few months or more to see how the market shakes out, you'll probably have to pay top dollar. Good luck with your efforts. You might yet be able to get closer to the invoice cost than your present offer, maybe the midpoint.
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Dont show your excitement or be in a hurry when buying or you will pay more than needed or even purchase something you may not want.
    Rule 1 Dont buy with emotion.
    Rule 2 Be willing to walk away.
    Rule 3 Remember its a business deal.
  • Options
    banjolaya1banjolaya1 Member Posts: 88
    "Lay it down on the side of the road, which is not so nice when it is pouring cats and dogs. While you replace the tires, all your vacation clothes get wet from the rain and muddy from the wet road surface".
    But don't forget one thing! It's still pouring cats and dogs and you'll get wet too, regardless of whether that tire is under the cargo area or on the outside on the back...
  • Options
    No, my mommy is not a dealer. But I am serious. See, my point is - yes they can charge MSRP and if they can sell 20 cars / week, more power to them. But they won't sell 21. And on that 21st they could have made $1000 +/-! Which they won't in this case because like this last post says - I do have tons of patience and money is not burning a hole in my pocket. There will still be 26000 in there in two or three months. And like I said, maybe it won't. I mean, just like carbuyingtips (J.O. thank you for educating us) says - the first to buy on the block will be the first to take a loss when it comes to sale a couple of years from now.
    That would be my answer to cinammon too. If you don't HAVE TO buy it this weekend - don't! If it is really way over invoice - give the salesman your card and let him call you when they are ready to deal. You might save (literally) thousands! And follow the tips in the last post and you'll be fine.
    Oh, one more brainteaser (I know who in here loves brainteasers) :D :confuse::
    If you buy now - 6 months from now you'll have a 6 months old car. When I buy my CR-V 6 months from now, I'll have paid maybe $2000 less and I'll have a BRAND NEW CR-V!
    Do you know now why everybody tells you why you should wait?
  • Options
    dawnkiciadawnkicia Member Posts: 5
    Just bought my CRV EX-L . Got offered xtended warranty 6/100 for $800+ . Good deal?

Thanks
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Here is one of the better dealers to get one from show your dealer it and see if they will match if not there loss your gain..

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/plans.php?action=step2&makeID=1&modelID=10&year=- -
    good luck... MNF
  • Options
    bsparksbsparks Member Posts: 22
    Bought in Northern VA near DC a 2007 2wd ex last night for $21,836 (about a grand under MSRP). OTD $23,519.91 including freight (595), Processing (299), tax (720) and tags (69). Dealer included "appearance package" of wheel locks, mud guards, door guards, fender trim and pin stripe for no additional charge. Also dealer provides 4 coupons for tire replacement (one tire each by serial number) if they die in first 60,000 miles due to road hazard.

They started at $1995 over MSRP and the deal came down in two days of internet email messages. Fairly painless. :)
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    If your tools are under the load floor, you'll still have to unload your car... Ask me how I know...

My tools and the jack are in the special cubby, on the right side of the cargo area. I don't even have to take stuff out, maybe push it a little out of the way to get the jack and tools.

But, judging the design of the 2007 CR-V and the demographics it is aimed at, it won't be the driver/owner unloading the cargo and digging for the tire, it will be the husband/boyfriend/AAA guy :-)
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Just bought my CRV EX-L . Got offered xtended warranty 6/100 for $800+ . Good deal?

Thanks

Wyh bother? Hondas already come with 6 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    yah you might get wet but at least you have clean clothes to change into. :)
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Chicago had some bad storms earlier this week and one of the bigger Honda dealers is having a "massive hail sale!".

They list an '07 CR-V EXL 4x4 Auto. Says MSRP is $26595 and the sale price is $21595. Ad says you can't see the damage.

Check out the newspapers for details.

I lived with hail damage on a car for 12+ years. Never bothered me.
  • Options
    leslienationleslienation Member Posts: 41
    Hi! can you please scan and post the Ad !! tkz.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much is the EX-L model invocei price ? i am going to see a dealer tomorrow.(10.7 Sat). Therefore, i will have some idea how much i should pay? thanks.
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Just walked out and checked - it is absolutely identical as the other four - alloy wheel, 215/65/16 Traction T/A tire, on a 2005 CR-V SE.
  • Options
    www.myhondawarranty.com

How reputable are these guys? Has anyone tried them yet?
  • Options
    I see Edmunds finally included the 2007 Honda CR-V on the website. No info on invoice though. I checked comsumerreports their New Car Buying Kits and they don't list it either. I guess there is still no need to list it because nobody will sell it at invoice anyway therefore invoice doesn't mean anything. Just MSRP means something because any dealer will talk in those terms only at this point.
  • Options
    ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    If someone wants to deal from the bottom up using an invoice price, rather than top down as the dealers want to do, they can use the following estimates for the models:
    4wd LX: MSRP $22395 (honda site); Invoice estimate$20215
    4wd EX: $24645 $22240
    4wd EX-L $26595 $23995

The invoice estimates should be fairly close. I used the bochhonda.com site as a guide. Very often the invoice price on the paperwork shown by the dealer includes a markup for their business costs and you can be a more knowledgeable buyer if you are aware of this fact.
    I always have preferred to use a base invoice cost in my dealings with car agencies, even though they continue to deal from MSRP. With Honda's system of standardized packages on their models it's a lot easier to avoid numerical mumbo jumbo from the dealer. With Toyotas having different options it's much harder to follow the numbers, at least for me.
  • Options
    I agree with ralph9. That's what put me off when I was trying to decide what to buy - CR-V or RAV4. Toyota's price is never a clear deal and I think I'd be at a big dissadvantage when negotiating a price. And I don't like that. I mean, 100's of people buy cars every day and don't worry about that. I do. What can I say? Am I bad?
    So, yes. My issue with Toyota is that they put all those options that you'll never use anyway (most of them) and they are sometimes just adding to the list that could go wrong sometimes down the road. You basically have no say in what options are on the car.
  • Options
    bcaptain78bcaptain78 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 07 CRV LX 2WD from GA for $ 22500.00 OTD. I think I got a great deal. Great dealership! I love this car. :)
  • Options
    pshifrinpshifrin Member Posts: 4
    My wife's old rav4 is at lease termination. Of all the small SUVs out there we think the new CR-V is the best combination of safety, features, fuel economy, looks, etc. We want a dark blue EX-L. Our local dealer is offering us a lease with the following stats:

36 month / 15k miles per year
    selling price: $26837.00 (aka msrp + a little bit)
    inception fees: $2000 (tax, title, license, etc) no cap cost reduction
    money factor: 0.002900
    residual: $17020.80
    Total Monthly Payment: $399.89

Is this a good deal since we sort of need the car soon.

If we choose to finance, i'd be willing to put 5k down and our local bank is offering a 6.25% rate, 5 dollar??? closing cost. The dealer will sell for straight MSRP 26595. Monthly will be about $458.

I'd rather not have the car for more than 3 years so i'm leaning towards leasing.

Our other car is a 2006 toyota prius fully loaded. I consistenly get 50 mpg per tank.
  • Options
    In my humble opinion, this is NOT a good deal. Lease + MSRP, I could swallow that, but + a little bit (which in your case is $837), that doesn't go down so easily. I would say you need a second (third and forth) opinion ie. from the dealer down the street and another dealer etc. Unless you really have money to burn. I tend to forget sometimes that there are people out there that make tons of $$$ and $837 may not mean much to them. But if you are not one of those, find another (better) offer elsewhere and use the $837 to buy season ski passes for you or your kids. Or buy beef patties and beer for $837 and invite all your neighbours to the party. Or something like that. Otherwise the dealer will take your money and buy patties and beer and invite HIS neighbours to the party...
  • Options
    bsparksbsparks Member Posts: 22
    Just bought 2007 EX 2wd and paperwork says invoice 21136.84, MSRP 22,850. If that helps.
  • Options
    tkz. actually i am looking for 4WD.
  • Options
    cconwillcconwill Member Posts: 14
    I spoke to a dealer today who told me the invoice price on the 2007 EX 4WD was $22,839.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,082
    You would probably come out ahead by renting a car from Enterprise for a month for $500, and waiting to see where prices go...

MSRP = bad price... Base money factor = bad interest rate..

If your only other option is to buy at MSRP and finance it, then that is what I would do.. Historically, you'll do better than the residual on a CR-V lease, if you sell it at the end of 3 years..

$400 for a CR-V lease? You can lease an '06 Infiniti G35X for that (MSRP $38K).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    Actually, invoice price for EX 4WD is 21 622 plus destination. Do not fall into the dealer trap.

You could see dealer cost at bochhonda.com that includes destination.

Cheers !
  • Options
    I went to the dealer (NYC) this morning. I am interesting to buy the EX-L model. Do the test drive and so, it is a very nice car, the sales is every good. But when do the pricing w/ the manager it is very high price. They want the me to paid 28000 + my trade in (worth 2500). And this price is not including taxes and title. I told them it is too high. they lower down maybe a little bit more. but i told him i want invoice price or maybe little bit over. they said no. and i walked away. my budget is 24K then minus my trade in. I think i might need to wait for awhile. {{ i also try the 07 element EX, it is very nice too. mroe leg room. what do u guys think?)
  • Options
    boo_booboo_boo Member Posts: 1
    We visited a dealer (North. NJ) this past week and I was wondering if what he told us was baloney. We test-drove the 2007 CR-V EX (4WD) and liked it very much. However, I am a member of a program through my bank which allows us to purchase cars at a small amount over dealer cost ($250 for Hondas). We met with the salesperson and also looked at the Accord.

Anyway, he told us he would honor the car pricing program on the Accord, but could not sell us the 2007 at anything less than MSRP. It sounded like a crock to us, and we're going to call the hotline number for the program on Monday to see if this is legit. (Perhaps it's not). I was under the impression that there were no exclusions with this program. Has anyone experienced this or used such a program?

I also want to say thank you to whoever posted information about what they paid and the dealer invoice; it gives us more of an idea as to how much mark-up there is with these vehicles.

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    bharath_kbharath_k Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

WE will be happy if you give some more information about your program you are participating... Everyone can benefit from this ...

TIA
  • Options
    sgrigorysgrigory Member Posts: 17
    I went over to the dealer in Bremerton, WA, (ferry ride and all) today. I was referred to them by the Costco Program.

Their offer? Not so great, $250 under MSRP.

I had already, and quite easily, gotten the price down to MSRP by just walking onto the lot in downtown Seattle, inspite of their $2k markup.

Oh well, the ferry ride was nice...

: )
  • Options
    johnnyccjohnnycc Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just purchased a silver 2007 CR-V EX 4WD from Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA. Here are the numbers:
    MSRP: $24,645
    Sale price: $23,039
    Doc: $45
    Tax: $1,904
    License: $222
    Total out the door: $25,210

No trade-in, cash purchase. We were surprised to see the price come this much off MSRP since the car was launched just last week. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Anderson in Palo Alto huh? I used to live near that one...

Did you get that price by, essentially, walking onto the lot or was it some type of program or was it their internet group?

Up in Seattle, it's still very much MSRP or close.

Thanks...
  • Options
    johnnyccjohnnycc Member Posts: 2
    I was surfing the various dealer sites in the bay area checking on inventory. Anderson's site requires contact info so I gave them my phone number. They called me shortly after and switched me over to an internet sales manager. I basically told them the price I was willing to pay to buy the car that day. I was placed on hold a few minutes... The internet sales manager came back on line and said the price is a go. I was surprised it was that quick and simple. We purchased that evening and picked up the CR-V the following morning. Of course we got a hard sell on the extended warrenty but we declined it.
  • Options
    lolu13lolu13 Member Posts: 19
    Is it worth it to buy the maintenance program? I was offered one during the hard sell on the ext. warr. pitch. The business manager seemed to think that it was the greatest deal and that all of the employees took advantage of it. It cost $508 for the the 9 visits to the service dept. (regular service calls, 10 mi check -up...) This lasts up to something like 25,000 miles I think. I can't remember. But is something like that worth it? can anyone help me out with my decision? I declined it, but can go back to purchase later this week she told me.
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    My approach to maintenance, even for my Lexus LS430, is to "mine" the maintenance schedules for what REALLY needs to be done. And to avoid the dealer as much as possible. I am religious about fluid and filter changes. Most of the rest of the stuff...especially in the early years, is just hyped up "checks". Do they REALLY check the stuff? Probably not. And it's a HONDA (or TOYOTA)...the stuff just doesn't break!

And you know what? In the end, the vehicles run just as well as if I paid for all the dealer hype and resale value is JUST as poor either way. (Meaning they all depreciate...if you change the fluids and filters and wash the car occasionally resale will be the same as if you baby it. Maybe $500 less).

So, no, don't prepay for all sorts of dealer hype that you don't need to begin with.
  • Options
    I got a price form Bochhonda.com They said they can offer me for EX-L 07 model for 25K. not including tax and doc, and title fee. but it is including Dest. fee. is it a good deal? other thing is I lived in NY and they are located in Boston,MA. Is it safe to go there buy a car? anyone had experience for out of state purchase? They said I have to answer them tomorrow before the price slip away. Can someone help me PLEASE~!!~ :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    :surprise: I would be very careful with Boch I live 30 miles from their dealerships..Ernie Boch Sr did ads saying "come on Down" like Bob Barker.......I have heard they love the "high pressure sale" They are always looking for new salespeople..I think their doc fees are $395 and it looks like they are taking $1500 off the MSRP..price will not be only for one day..dealers have been saying that since my dad bought his 48 Olds 66 conv. at Belotti Olds in Sommerville.Ma. IMHO shop local...they will be doing the service and remember they have to service your new car under warranty but their customers who bought the car at their dealership get priority treatment ! :cry:
  • Options
    Price-wise, $25k (plus maybe a few hundred for docs) is far better than the price of MSRP minus $250 (which is about $26,250) I am getting at multiple dealers in/near Seattle.

I even tried the same Bay Area (I'm from there) dealership the previous guy posted about. For an EX-L they quoted MSRP. He got his EX for much less than that.

So I'm still looking...
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    From my understanding the dealership is not under any contract to sell the newest or the hottest cars in this program. British rover was talking about this exact subject about 3 months ago on another topic. The dealership can if they want agree to the prices but on a new car with a high demand they almost never do.
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Just got a silver EX-L here in Pittsburgh. Traded my '05 CR-V SE with 11,500 miles. Went to three dealers. The best deal was $7000 plus tax net cash difference. I think they were giving me an honest $19,000 for my used car and discounting the new car by the cost of the shipping...$575. One dealer was about $500 higher and another was $1400 higher and would not budge. I am sure I could have gotten $1000 more off sticker had I waited a few months, but by then my used car will depreciate probably that much as well, since it goes from "barely used" to "more than barely used". So I did it.

Anyway, I got it this morning and it's a real upgrade from the 2005...which was still a great vehicle. Much more refined ride and interior. I like the auto door locks, brighter headlights and more supportive seat. So far, so good!
  • Options
    mikeseawamikeseawa Member Posts: 2
    Just got one of the last '06 CR-V LX's in Washington state, I was told there were only 4 left in Washington state. I got it for $20,154 ($22,188.26 out the door after taxes).
  • Options
    gjbwjgjbwj Member Posts: 27
    Just back from the dealer, there are only 3 06 CR-V left, all EX 4WD, he give me a quote for 21500+TTL. Actually I did test drive for 07 CR-V, kind of not like it, the main thing bothering me is the blind spot when you change the lane.
  • Options
    Just curious, how to tell it is 4WD?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,082
    It says "Real-Time 4WD" on the back window...

If you look at the car from the rear, you can see two half-shafts (about 1" thick rods), one going to each rear wheel.. The FWD models won't have that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Well!! i know it is a good price. but i turn down their offer. b/c they need me to come down 2 times b4 pick up the car. so i thikn is is very inconverenice for me.
  • Options
    Thank you, clear enough.
  • Options
    sheritanasheritana Member Posts: 1
    I just obtained a Costco buyers club quote for an EX w/ leather model code RE4877 JNW. Anyone know if it is an EX or an EX-L?
  • Options
    dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
    The EX-L has leather seats. The EX has cloth.
  • Options
    jcampodjcampod Member Posts: 15
    Looking for a EX-L with Navi here in South Texas, but none of the dealers are getting any until December time frame. Is this going on across the country? How much is the estimated invoice on a 2WD vs. 4WD EX-L with Navi?

Thank you!
    Jennifer
  • Options
    jpbranjpbran Member Posts: 37
    Sheritana: how much was your quote? And was it 2wd or 4wd?