Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mafernamaferna Posts: 83
    "Well, when you try to buy a high demand car for below invoice you might get a "jerky" reaction."

"Don't believe everything you read on internet boards."

Here we go again...

I bought mine in March 2005 for $150 below invoice without a jerky reaction. Actually, the price quoted was $450 below invoice, but after the $300 "doc fee", the real price I paid was $150 below invoice. Other posters have done even better than that. I have proof of the price I paid if needed.

To future buyers: CR-Vs CAN be had below invoice; don't be misled.
  • me3me3 Posts: 30
    $403 under invoice, July '05
  • Bought my CRV on Jan 18, 2006. I was prepared to pay nearly the edmunds TMV for the 2WD LX model (2006- don't think anybody had any 2005s left), but I submitted internet quotes to the three closest dealers through hondacars.com, and two out of three of the dealer's quotes were less than invoice - one at 18997 + $55 doc fee (Brian Bemis, Dekalb, IL), the other at 19147 including doc fee (Napleton, Loves Park). The third dealer (Honda of Ottawa, IL) was a suprising $1000 over the lowest at 19997, although they did offer 4.7% financing.

I ended up buying from the first dealer, as they were closest, and were willing to give me the Edmunds TMV for my trade in (Dealer trade in price, on that sheet). The out-the-door price for the CRV was a little under $20,000 with TTL.
  • Well folks, I woke up Sunday morning and spent some time to tell my buying experience in good detail, but unfortunately edmunds unable to upload my message. I don't know if I can type it all over again. But if you are in the market to buy a car, I can tell you to do your homework, do some research until you're sure what car you need (not what car you want). For V you may get it below invoice (depends on your negotiation skill), I got mine for over $500 below invoice + $50 doc. fee even I had to drive 75 miles away. No trade in. :shades:
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    I bought mine in March 2005 for $150 below invoice without a jerky reaction. Actually, the price quoted was $450 below invoice, but after the $300 "doc fee", the real price I paid was $150 below invoice. Other posters have done even better than that. I have proof of the price I paid if needed.

To future buyers: CR-Vs CAN be had below invoice; don't be misled.

I know Isellhondas works for a dealership and would have better insight what incentives are out there. But, you and I bought our cars about the same time, last week of March 2005. I knew there was an incentive and the dealer did not deny it. Isellhondas says he has never seen one, but then in the next post said there was a $500 one in December. It is highly possible that those incentives are regional, and where lives and works, Honda does not have to offer incentives.

Both of us bought car right after the $800 increase Honda put out in March to help out GM and Ford. It may have backfired and they needed to "make the numbers" for the first quater and threw out a $1500 incentive on top of the 2.9% APR for 60 months.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    I know that this isn't the accessories page but what is the appropriate % mark up on honda accessories by the dealership. I want to negotiate the most competive price but then not get raked over the coals on accessories. Also if any of you know, can you tell me whats the deal with the security system add on it sound exactly like what my 2005 accord came with. Do crvs not come with a key that also opens the doors. Any info would be appreciated.
  • wait a sec...2.9 at 60 mos? i got the 4.9 and was told no way on 2.9 (guy stopped short of giggling). :surprise:

regardless, we're happy with our crv. as i said in a prev post, 2006 crv ex at 800 below invoice and 2500 below MSRP. this after going back and forth with internet quotes.
    wait a sec...2.9 at 60 mos? i got the 4.9 and was told no way on 2.9 (guy stopped short of giggling).

Honda did offer 2.9% for 60 months in the last week of March 2005. Just like Honda offered 1.9% for 60 months on the Element, and Civic. It has nothing to do with the dealer. AHFC sets the interest rates. I was monitoring the incentives and jumped in at Honda's weakest moment :P
    I know that this isn't the accessories page but what is the appropriate % mark up on honda accessories by the dealership. I want to negotiate the most competive price but then not get raked over the coals on accessories. Also if any of you know, can you tell me whats the deal with the security system add on it sound exactly like what my 2005 accord came with. Do crvs not come with a key that also opens the doors. Any info would be appreciated.

Click on the link at the top of this page ( http://www.HandA-accessories.com ) to see what the accesories cost. Figure HandA only marks up 25% whearas your dealer does a 75%-100% mark up, plus labor.

I don't know what your add on security system on the Accord is, but chances are that it is the same unit for all Honda models.

As far as the key is, all keys open doors, that is their primary function. If you meant to ask if the key came in with built in remote keyless entry, the answer is yes.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    The new cars we sell usually have between 10 and maybe 50 miles on them. Sometimes, and employee will take a car home or they maybe it's been on a couple of demo drives.

On cars that came in on a dealer trade, they can have 200 miles or so on them. To me, that wouldn't be a big deal.
    " Here we go again"

Hate to tell you this, but some people walk in with a nasty chip on their shoulder.

There are jerks on both sides of the table.

Why a dealer would feel the need to sell a fast moving car for below invoice is beyond me but I suppose anything is possible.

I can definatly state that some of the so called "Prices Paid" numbers in some of these forums simply didn't happen.

A 300.00 doc fee? WOW!
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Posts: 31
    What is a dealer trade, and why would it have 200 miles on it? Do cars ever acrue over 200 miles on it just from test drives? That seems a little excessive to me, and I would think the car would be sold before undergoing so many test drives. The reason I ask, is because my friend is looking into buying a new car (not a Honda), and it has 210 miles on it. The salesman told him that it wasn't a demo, and that it wasn't received from another dealership. The salesman said it was probably just from test drives. It sounds a little fishy to my friend...and to me, as well. You say that 200 miles wouldn't be a big deal to you...so how many miles would it take to set off red flags (or at least demand a discount) for you? Thanks for your input.
    Sometimes we do dealer trades from across the state, hence, the miles.

I guess it's possible to run up 200 miles on a non-demo just from test drives.

My advise? If your friend feels uncomfortable, just don't buy the car.

And, I don't know...I guess if the car had much more than the 200 miles, I would probably just go with a different car. It doesn't really devalue the car nor will it effect the car one twit in the long run.
  • ezpassezpass Posts: 10
    I just received a quote from a dealer on LI for a 2006 Honda CRV-SE Black with auto for $23,995. (including destination) + tax+plates and docs. Another competing Honda Dealer said they would better the deal by $100.00.
    He siad that Honda Mfg was pushing and incenting dealers to unload 06 because 07 will be a major model change.

Any one hear any truth to this?

Just curious if the above offers are good.

Thanks.
  • dclark2dclark2 Posts: 91
    A few days ago, I got a quote from a dealer in Sacramento for $23,995 (included destination).However, I don't know if they are charging some exhorbant "document fee".
    He siad that Honda Mfg was pushing and incenting dealers to unload 06 because 07 will be a major model change

Yes, there is truth to that, but the new 2007 model will not show up until september/october of 2006, so it is kind of early for Honda to push incentives. But they may be closing on their fiscal year and need to "make the numbers." Generally, Honda offers most incentives when there is a model change over. The incentives start rolling slowly in August, and once the new new model is released, generally, September 15th, the incentives on the older model are upped, plus the finance deals are thrown in as well. So, if you can wait until fall, and are OK with getting a model with a proven track record, rather than the "new and improved" for a steal, then wait.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Posts: 675
    I just checked my IN and there are no incentives here on the east coast for CRV, either lease, finance or dealer cash.

I did see the Presidents Day sale info and it looks as if Honda is going to have some advertised deals on Pilot.

I would expect that the CRV production will tail off this summer and specials start running then.
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Posts: 31
    I bought a 2006 CRV SE Pewter Pearl in December for $23,380 (includes destination fee). I bought it at a no haggle dealership in San Antonio. When I first went to the lot, the price was $22,940. I called 3 other dealerships in the area to see if they could beat it, and they couldn't even come close. One salesman even accused me of being a liar. Based on those responses, I figured it must be a great deal. When I went back to buy the vehicle 5 days later, they had raised the price to $23,380, but it was still way better than any other price I saw.

After doc fee ($50), TTL, etc., I got it out the door for $25075.
  • pj001pj001 Posts: 1
    Dealer is offering me $23995 for a new:

2006 Honda CR-V 4WD EX Automatic w/ following:

- Driver’s Side Armrest with Storage
    - Roof Rack bars
    - Front Splash Guards
    - Running Boards
    - Trailer Hitch
    - Cargo-Area Cover
    - Auto Day/Night Mirror
    - Half Nose Mask

Is this a fair price?
  • little3little3 Posts: 31
    Last year I bought a vehicle. The salesman included $l65 as a "documentation fee". I told him that this "documentation fee" was simply a way of saying "Give me money just because I say so" and that I would not be paying it. He replied that it was justified as the vehicle's title was being transferred to me. I informed him that the title transfer fee in St. Louis County was $25 not $l65 and would be clearly indicated as such on the purchase agreement. I also said that if he insisted on a "documentation fee" I would not purchase the car. Amazingly the "documentation fee" disappeared from the purchase agreement. After reading many of the postings in this forum, I am completely dumbfounded that so many people who boasted of "paying under invoice" actually paid this bogus "documentation fee". BTW, the costs of clerical support, forms, etc. are already included in the dealer's overhead and we are paying for it in the final price of the vehicle.
  • trout2trout2 Posts: 13
    We just bought an Element, but came very close to buying a CRV EX MT.

The best quote I could get was $21,412, which was from Crown Honda in Charlotte, NC. That quote included destination, but did not include the $349 doc fee. This seems to be the going rate in the state of NC for doc fees. Outrageous, I know.
  • I bought a CR-V SE yesterday for $23,400 (including destination)plus tax and fees at a dealership in Northern California. While some dealers quoted prices above invoice, I received about 5 or 6 quotes from dealers willing to sell the car below invoice. If you shop around, you should be able to get a great deal.
    Really? Man, that must be a horrible market!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    Horrible? No.. if you are a consumer, it is a great market!!

It all depends on your perspective..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well, I guess but those dealerships have other ways they make their money and people come here later any complain about those "ways" they make that money!
  • Actually, another area dealer quoted me 399 for docs and fees. According to them, it is a dealer-set fee. No way out of it, says them.

That Crown offer is about 400 less than they quoted me and still lower than what I paid for. Did you get a quote for an AT?
  • mind you, I got a quote from a dealer two hours away for $24K.
    A dealer 30 miles away gave me this quote:
    "$25196.89* (This quoted price INCLUDES the Honda PROTECTION PACKAGE, a $278.00 value!).
    This includes lifetime tires and service discount coupons, plus free car washes for one month.
    I was also told that this was a no haggle price. I emailed back and said that I was insulted with this padding. The response was sales slick typical "We offer this to insure high value and satisfaction to the customer.."
    Yeah, right! I didn't even ask about "doc fees", but around here, they usually try to get the buyer for $400. The problem here is that I live in an area with uneducated country bumpkins and dealers are used to screwing them. I almost always travel out of the area to get a new car, saving $1,000's in the process.
    I did not get a quote on the AT. I only got quotes on the MT.

Crown Honda of Southpoint (Durham) also has a "set" $399 doc fee. I negotiated to $299, but that $100 was given as a additional vehicle discount. The $399 is a "permanent" fee on the sales slip.

Where are you in NC?
  • Doc fee is another name for additional dealer markup. I ask the a local dealer what the covers. I was told that it covers typing up forms for the DMV. I said, "assuming that you pay your secretary a generous $20 a hour, you are telling me that it takes 20 hours to complete a form?? That's longer than it takes to r and r an engine? Does it really take that much time to complete a form?"
    He sheepishly said "That's what we always charge, dealer policy".
    So, I bought my car out of state- doc fee was $40. Always, always remember that YOU have the money, and that money can travel!
    ^ I agree, it is nothing but dealer markup.