Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    shaynesshaynes Member Posts: 1
    I just got my Black 07, CR-V, 2WD, EX-L, with Navigation. The MSRP was steady around here, at least among the four or so dealers from which I rec'd quotes. I went with the one that offered slightly less than the dealer closest to me. No dealers had any selections on the lot. Even the one I test drove on my first examination of the vehicle was missing from one week to the next. The price quoted without Navi was 26,595. With Navi 27,395. I went with the dealer that offered a "special discount" that took 800 off the price for 26,595 plus tax, destination charge,tags and a 99 processing fee. With the couple of extras I ordered the total was 28,800. I waited about two weeks for the vehicle to arrive. I don't know how I could have done better in the Balto-DC area, anyone had better luck?
  • Options
    banjolaya1banjolaya1 Member Posts: 88
    Okay, let's do some math.
    What people that wait a year to buy a CR-V really save? $500 or more?
    First of all, when you wait a year, you get a 08 CR-V, not 07 CR-V. Big difference in value.
    Second, if you determine that your payment would be $500 if you bought the car this year, you can put that money aside and after a year you'll end up with $6000.
    Third, you save those aforementioned $500 because you didn't buy the car for the MSRP.
    Fourth, if you incur even $2000 in repairs in that year + say $3000 depreciation of your current vehicle you still end up $1500 ahead AND you have a '08 vehicle, not the '07.
    If you add those $1500 to the down payment which you'd apply to your vehicle anyway, your payments/interest/everything would be much lower (again for a newer type of vehicle).
    Anyway, what I am trying to tell to everybody, while CR-V might be in demand and cost a little under MSRP - wait and you'll get it for less. Sooner or later. That's why you're here. To save money.
  • Options
    nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    Hi Banjolaya!
    How is your RAV4 doing? I received my EX-L AWD last week and am having a great time. I paid $1360 under MSRP and am very happy with it. I am still in the break in period and got 27 mpg for an MN-WI trip. We had 2 snow storms here in the last 10 days and the CRV was a pleasure to drive through unplowed roads. It was well worth waiting for the CRV. I almost went in for a RAV4 at one stage.
  • Options
    Hondaguy67,
    I waited for some time to reply to this message (click on the link to what I am replying to (#4291).
    It turns out that in the recent Consumer Reports, that car that I bought(small SUV) ranks better than CR-V. And they should know, they test cars and SUV's high and low, left and right.
  • Options
    "MSRP on a new CR-V is a good deal. plain and simple.

I will use this analogy, you get more standard features and a higher quality vehicle than any other vehicle at the same price.

if you want to wait go ahead but there are no9promises that you can get that deal, and too be honest why would you buy an inferior vehicle for roughly the same price just because you will not pay MSRP???"

Replying to #4285:
    Ditto!
    So, hondaguy, go and buy the famous March issue of Consumer Reports and see who's got an inferior vehicle. :P
  • Options
    Hey, nearmsp!
    Glad to hear from you. Sorry for not responding immediately, I had some cleaning up to do. This guy thrashed me so badly back in January that I couldn't resist but... Never mind.
    But I am glad you finally got what you wanted AND paid less than MSRP! That's what I have been preaching all along. Why not get what you want for less. You still get a good vehicle like the next guy who paid $1360 more. And doesn't that feel good? Now you are covered for gas, at 27 mpg, that $1360 will buy you a lot of gas.
    I hope you enjoy your new baby for a loooong time to come. You should also try MN-UT trip. Many good off-road trails to drive our cars on, get some dirt, scratch that new shiny paint, get some rock chips on the windows.
    Naah, rather not. If you ever drive by - wave...
  • Options
    discovery218discovery218 Member Posts: 13
    So I bought a 07 EX-L AWD with Navigation for $27,595, $1,000 below MSRP in Boston area. I think it is pretty good deal. Just wanted to share. Good luck!
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I paid a couple of hundred more than that last week in nj and they threw in the auto dimming mirror and wheel locks. Seems to be the right neighborhood currently.
  • Options
    pegwinkspegwinks Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a 4WD EX in a suburb of Chicago and paid as follows:
    $24,645 - list with destination
    84 - wheel locks
    118 - splash guards
    24,847 - total sticker
    23,975 - PAID
    $ 872 - Below Sticker

In IL the document fee is not required by law but may be charged and is limited to $58.48. State tax is 7%, County Tax is .75%, license and title fee was $80. I realize the wheel locks and splash guards are highly over priced. I traded in a 1999 Accord in good condition with 107,000 miles and got $4,750. Financing was 6.9% for 5 years through Honda. There was some "fuzzy math," going on, but this is what the deal boiled down to. Perhaps I didn't do a great job of negotiating, but they had what I wanted, I was anxious and so far I'm a happy CR-V owner. This may be helpful to other prospective buyers. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    kaps23kaps23 Member Posts: 6
    Hello pegwinks,
    I am in a suburb of Chicago too and am in the market for a CR-V. I am curious what dealer you got yours from. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris
  • Options
    beerloverbeerlover Member Posts: 20
    Not to bum you out but as an FYI others:
    Wheel locks are $20 at pep boys and just as good.
    Honda offical Wheel locks are $30
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvext07.html
  • Options
    Hi, Chris,

I bought mine at Community Honda in Orland Park, IL (SW suburb, Cook County). I really didn't bargain too intensely. I would just advise you try to get them to keep any trade-in, markdown from sticker price, and financing as separate figures. I find that's the easiet way to really see what you're really getting. Many people say don't trade in -- sell it yourself. I didn't want that hassle, plus you don't pay sales tax on the trade-in amount. I qualify this with the warning that I'm no expert. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Yes that does help somewhat, although I am in the NW burbs (Grayslake). I am dreading all the haggling and back and forth with a dealer but I know I have to just bite the bullet and do it. Thanks again for your advice, hope you are enjoying your new vehicle! :-)

Chris
  • Options
    I pretty much figured those prices were a rip-off, so I guess you could say I got approx. $670 off MSRP. Thanks for the info. Others should find it helpful.
  • Options
    hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    Banjolaya1.

My friend you deserved to be thrashed back in January and you do not as well but I will refrain. you talk about consumer reports blah blah blah. They are a great publication but alas they are just 1. Do your research and you will see that almost every single automotive publication rates the CR-V is rated higher by both the pros and the public.

have fun with your Rav4 and good luck
  • Options
    Buying a new car should be an enjoyable experience. I never found it to be anything but a hassel. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks! I will be so glad when it is over!

cwk23@hotmail.com
  • Options
    pro5mohpro5moh Member Posts: 29
    After searching here and there for 3-4 Weeks ==> Finally got the 2007 Honda CR-V EX-L W/Navi 2WD
    with Black Exterior and Tan/Ivory Interior.

MSRP($27395 - $500 (With No Charge Tint and Pin Stripe))
    Honda Care 8Yrs / 120 K Miles -- $985 (After getting the dealer to match the Internet Quote)

Now i need to get some accessories.. like the Mats..etc and also on my list are
    (1). Auto Dimming Mirror
    (2). IPOD Adapter
    (3). Fog lights
    (4). Roof rack

For (1) / (2) -- Has anyone bought them Online and got it installed @ places like car toys.?
    If so, is it fairly simple?
  • Options
    unospam777unospam777 Member Posts: 6
    thelacarguy,
    I'm hoping to get a CRV EXL noNav black (or white) by the end of March. any advice on how to buy? does having TMV really help since CRV's so poplular? is putting $500 hold deposit effective? Thanks.
  • Options
    sizzerhappysizzerhappy Member Posts: 7
    I live in Baltimore, what dealership did you go to?
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    why would someone in Baltimore drive to Your honda dealership in Missouri to buy a CRV? I'm pretty sure they could find a dealer out east with a decent price.
  • Options
    crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    Just some of my thoughts, having TMV just gets you closer (high side/low side) to the final selling price so you know where you stand. putting $500 down seems to be unique to the given situation, I have read many posters who have done this & many who have not - your call!!. What I thought was a novel approach by a poster awhile back - he took invoice price added up options/accesories he wanted, took that total added $1000 then went to dealers and said: "deal or no deal" I think on his 3rd attempt that dealer said ok. Something to ponder, good luck on your quest :)
  • Options
    yakultspitsyakultspits Member Posts: 22
    Nice - which dealer? Thanks.
  • Options
    chrisp81chrisp81 Member Posts: 19
    Chris,

If you're in grayslake you should check out Rosen Honda. They're in your backyard & They have a great internet dept to work with.
  • Options
    As mentioned in my earlier post - Bought 2WD EX-L With NAVI 2 days back..

However still have one concern about my experience with the dealer..

We happen'd to see the EX-L With NAVI available with a dealer in the Ft Worth Area in our desirable color.

On Day 1 -- We stopped at the dealership to check out the vehicle.. Saw it with 2.9 Miles on the ODO.
    We were told that we cannot test drive that evening as some sort of inspection was not done on the vehicle
    after it was off the truck. Since the sale price was OK with me.. I signed some papers for registration .. etc
    with the deposit -- To come back with the finance the next day and drive the vehicle.
    One of the document was "Odometer Disclosure" -- Printed with 7 Miles, After checking with them that they need
    those 4 miles to get the Inspection done.. I signed the document.

On Day 2 -- All the paper work was done in 20Mts, got the vehicle hand'd over. When i looked at the ODO -- I
    saw 15 Miles on it.. Did not argue with the Sales person much.

Waiting on the Dealership manager for a survey.. Is there anything that i can do in this regard and get some
    leverage out of it..
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Forget about it, enjoy your car.

They could have put some miles on it checking it out and filling it up with gas for you - or - some other customer could have taken for a test drive. You'll never know, and really will never care.

Those 8 miles in a month will be water over the dam and long forgotten, you have much more important things to worry about.

Now that first parking lot dent you get, that'll make you mad!
  • Options
    nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    My odometer showed 4 miles, but the documentation was 20 miles. I was told that anything less than 20 is considered "New" in MN.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't understand why this would be a big deal to anyone.

The cars come off the trucks with 3-4 miles on them. They drive them around a track at the factory.

Then we are required to do an intense Pre-Delivery Inspection before we sell them. Customer's can't drive them until this has been done.

The techs are required to drive them to check for anything amiss. They should have at least ten miles on them.

Yes, the dealers should have made sure the odometer reading on the Purchase Order was correct, but why would this be a big deal?

And,why would anyone think this should cause "leverage" when giving a survey?

Sheese, people, life is short!
  • Options
    babycutecutebabycutecute Member Posts: 17
    I am a very nitpicking woman, and even I won't sweat a couple miles. :blush:

Say, at $0.45 per mile (including gas), that's $3.6. They filled up your gas tank before delivery, so we are talking at most a $2 reimbursement?

Just enjoy the car :)
  • Options
    awwsnapawwsnap Member Posts: 2
    (Hagerstown, MD) Hagerstown Honda won't budge from MSRP. The dealer was polite and did speak to his sales manager but he simply said they won't sell below MSRP because right now, they don't have to. They also would have to dealer exchange the vehicle b/c it's not on the lot currently.

Looking for a BLACK/IVORY 2007 CR-V w/ NAV :)
  • Options
    crv4me1crv4me1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I've been reading through this site which has been great!
    I'm in Northern California (Bay Area) and below are the best quotes received so far. Are these about right?
    (The first quote has the exact car in stock right now and provided a VIN #)

07 CRV EX 2wd is $22,802.00+all fees or $24829.42 OTD.
    07 CRV EX 2WD is $22,702 plus tax & license OTD

Thank you.
  • Options
    You should be able to do better than this... MSRP 2007 CRV EX 2WD is $22,850.00. Invoice is (per edmunds) is $21,137.00 a difference of $1,713.00. Your 1st quote is only $48.00 off sticker, 2nd one is $148.00 off sticker... Time to brush-up on the negotiating skills!!!
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad the dealer was polite but let me ask you...

Would you discount a car that you can't keep in stock?
  • Options
    I completely agree with what u said..

And the "Leverage" -- I mean is trying to get a decent discount on accessories.. (Definitely not to screw the survey or anything of that nature)

And why do i make a "BIG" Deal -- Becoz i paid MSRP leaving close to $2500-$3000 to the dealer (Dont they have an obligation to be sincere on paper?).. Had they told me that on Day 1, I would have gladly said OK -- Why have me sign a piece of paper?
  • Options
    I don't understand your post but that's O.K.

If it makes you feel better, paying MSRP did NOT give the dealer 2500-3000 in profit.
  • Options
    wandawomanwandawoman Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone from Western NY tell me their buying experience/price paid? I'm considering the 2wd LX or the 2wd EX. Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi isellhondas,

You like me read these posts on a regular basis. It seems to me that everyone here is either trying to get a good deal,or have gotten a good deal or just upset that a dealer would not budge off of MSRP. Your comment: "Would you discount a car that you can't keep in stock?" is a good & fair statement to the mindset of a lot of dealers. My question, in your experience how many people do you think (percentage wise) just walk into a dealer find a car they like & pay full sticker?. I am just curious from a dealers point of view. Thank's in advance. :)
  • Options
    pssrpssr Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have been reading posts on this forum. I found it very helpful so far. Planning to buy 07 CR-v in CT (Hartford). Please share your experience if any one from Hartford.

-thanks in advance.
  • Options
    pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    That's why I kept two or three vehicles in my short list.
    As soon as Honda told me "MSRP" or no deal, I said "no deal" and move onto purchasing a different brand and just as good.
    Honda and Toyota are becoming too arrogant and as far as people keep on paying MSRP just because they believe there are no other choices...well you know the rest.

Keep your options open and buy what you like and not what is popular. Popular is expensive and not necessarely the best.
    There are underrated good vehicles out there but you need to get to know them and spend sometime in researching.
    If you just wake up one day and say "honey, let's go buy a car".... well i,m sure you will be screwed.

If there is no discount, try your Suzuki GV, Hyundai SF, Mitsubishi Outlander, etc. There are great options if you look around.
  • Options
    Well, I hope the dealers aren't acting arrogant but cars sell for what they are worth. Just the reality of the market.

The cars you listed as "just as good" and "great options", are NOT just as good. Also, they depreciate like a rock and you will pay later when you trade them in or try to sell them.
  • Options
    yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    isellhondas,

You still have not answered CRVME3??? Question on MSG. #4694. ;)
  • Options
    Sorry I missed this one before.

Actually, this happens pretty often on cars like CRV's. People do their research and understand the market.
  • Options
    Done! Missed it before.
  • Options
    yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    I don't know about the majority of people doing research or I don't think they understand the market. I think alot of people purchase on impulse. In my humble opinion it looks like alot of people don't want to go throught the barting process that car dealer thrive in. This is where car dealer make their money. During my CRV buying, I spoke to 5 or 6 people about how much they paid and all of them paid MSRP price. It seem to me all 6 just wanted to get it done and beleaved what their sales person said. I only paid 2% over invoice and two of the people I talk to can't believe I bought the CRV from the same dealer they did. :)
  • Options
    Thank you for your input. :)
  • Options
    Thank's to you to yankeefan2 (for catching my missed post) I agree with you completely... It definitely seems a lot of people don't bother or just cave in. IMO it is worth every effort you can put forth, with the price of good cars these days you don't buy them anymore you invest in them. We bought ours at the end of Dec. '06 (demand high/supply low) after some serious internet-leg work & in person negotiating... We scored. In fact it wasn't until just recently someone had posted a price that beat mine. Hey water under the bridge at this point, CRV is a great car & my wife just freakin loves the little bugger :)
  • Options
    Why any dealer would sell a high deamsn, low supply car for 2% over invoice boggles my mind.

No reason to do this!
  • Options
    pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    Well...I guess you just sell Hondas period.

The great options are just as good (i'm not a salesman) and depreciation is just BS if you plan on keeping the vehicle.
    Also, a Honda will require a 5 to 7K more money at front than the great options available and then the car will sale for more....hahaha. Of course.!
    I will rather save the 5-7K at front and sale the "great option vehicle" for less.
    Do the math.

If you pay MSRP you are being raped !!.
    Worst a potential buyer can do is to "sell the car themselves" before they walk into the dealership.
  • Options
    Now no one get mad... I just have to add my 2 cents worth. I like to think of myself as part of the majority, & IMO the majority of Honda buyers buy because of brand loyalty why? I think for most of us it is the reliability factor.. granted they are not perfect what is? but in the long run (keeping vehicle) they have a pretty good track record. Our CRV is our 5th Honda. time will tell if it is as good as the others but I am banking on it will be. Hence my point is that most of us will pay the money upfront if needed to get that long term good feeling. Should everyone try & make a good deal? definitely yes. Paying MSRP & calling it rape!! for a Honda I don't think so
  • Options
    pssrpssr Member Posts: 3
    Guys:
    Here is the deal I was offered. For 07 CR-V 4WD LX $23,883 (vehicle + Tax + Ttl ).This in Manchester, CT. Please advice me.

-thanks.