Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Armada

Comments

• Options
    chasmanz28chasmanz28 Member Posts: 109
    scott where are you from? just brought my armada to the dealer and there doing the tsb as we speak, ill give you his name and number if you want it and if your close maybe they can fix yours too
  • Options
    jomijomi Member Posts: 20
    I don't have the resonance issue but I have a loud and annoying squeaking coming from the roof liner (it started after about 4 weeks of driving). I am going to bring it back to the dealer soon and may want them to make the TSB fix. I live in the western suburbs of Boston. Is there a name or number associated with the TSB and is it issued or did your dealer have to call the factory?
  • Options
    yeah the service manager where i bought my armada called nissan and talked to the tech department, they told him about the upcoming tsb and what is needed to fix the problem, so have your service manager call nissan and im sure they will be able to help, that squeaking noise is only going to get worse and cause resonance im sure
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    See Nissan Announces Name Change on Full-Size SUV. Basically, the Pathfinder reference has been removed. It is now just Armada. Kind of expected since a new Pathfinder is on the way.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wonder if there was some other reason for that.

Remember when the Stanza became the Stanza/Altima? They later dropped the first half. That particular model was a success, 1994 IIRC.

-juice
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    From the press release:

“Our strategy during the launch of our first full-size SUV was to capitalize on our popular mid-size Pathfinder’s rich off-road heritage by associating the Pathfinder name with both vehicles. For example, our launch broadcast advertising showed both vehicles driving in adventure settings together,” said Fred Suckow, director, marketing, Nissan Division. “Now, however, we’re finding strong consumer acceptance of Armada on its own merits, which also allows us to focus the Pathfinder message on building awareness of our mid-size SUV as we get closer to the launch of the next generation Pathfinder as a 2005 model.”

Makes sense. I do remember the Stanza/Altima situation. And it seemed quite successful also. Maybe Nissan contemplated on dropping the mid-size Pathfinder at one point?
  • Options
    jabcpajabcpa Member Posts: 11
    chasmanz28 - is the tsb out yet (for the resonance)? i don't see it on the nissan website. my dealer says they don't know anything about it so i am waiting to see the tsb hit the web.

thanks
  • Options
    tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    Gee...how long will it take before I can auction off mine at Barret Jackson Auctions for 80 grand?? LOL you just know someone will try to capitalize on the "one year only" status. I personally think they advanced the change because of all the press picking on the usage of the Pathfinder name, caling it "confusing". I just think it stinks that people will know mine is an older model just by looking at the tailgate. I saw it coming, though- we could always screw on new emblems next year....
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ok, we've changed the name of this discussion.

If posts die off to nothing over the next week, we can call Nissan and tell them to stick to their original game plan.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    attached the Pathfinder name to Armada in the first place is beyond me. Yeah, I've heard their "corporate reasoning," but it is about as lame an excuse that I can think of.

Really DUMB marketing Nissan!!!

Bob
  • Options
    scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I'm in California. I have contacted everyone I can, with no help. I would like my Dealer to call yours.. Hopefully that will shed some light. My Dealer called there "tech" line a week ago. They Don't know what I'm talking about.Thanks,Let me know, Scott
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    actually caused an initial interest that wouldnt have happened otherwise. on the internet, if you do a search for "pathfinder", you will get the armada as well. imagine the person sitting there...the armada comes up...they say "wow! whats this new thing?!?!"
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    if that was the case, why didn't Nissan call their all-new pickup the"Frontier Titan?" I think it was a DUMB move on Nissan's part. Now that they're making this name change, it comes across as Nissan is admitting they made a marketing mistake. They look silly, not smart.

Bob
  • Options
    sbbsbb Member Posts: 10
    Does this SUV fit in a standard US garage? Any problems with first year quality? I want to buy a LE 4x4, but the first yeat jitters have me worried. Also, I do not have a garage yet, but I am buying a home soon... For 39,000 out the door, it cannot be beat... i think..
  • Options
    sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    Went over to a dealer with my son. Wanted to show him the Armada (he liked it). They just happened to have one running so we hopped in. First thing I did was roll up the windows and turn the heat on. Yeah it makes a noise but NOTHING compared to my Suburban! My son thought it was loud until we got back to our car and he heard ours. We just laughed. You turn the radio on in the Armada and you can't hear a thing. I'm not talking blow out the speakers loud either. Not sure what vehicles you guys are coming from but for me it's all good. Accept for the cargo space. Baring some major recall this will be my next vehicle. Oh but not until the resonance issue is resolved.
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    I think if you spend some time reading this forum or at least the last two months or so you will find what you are asking for. I think you will be favorably surprised.

Yes it fits in a standard garage although it may take up much of it depending on the garage and stuff in it! I drove the test ride home just to see if it would fit in mine which is smaller than the last garage I had and although tight it still fit without having to close a mirror.
  • Options
    Here is my next question....
    Do I have to get the LE to get memory seats? I will be driving it about half the time and my wife half the time. It seems like the LE is necessary...
  • Options
    bullwagbullwag Member Posts: 10
    Ready to buy an Armada. We have two children ages 6 & 9. What are the pros and cons of the factory installed DVD vs. aftermarket? Keep in mind the small 7" screen with a price tag of $1500. Somebody said that their Dvd plugs came out of front center consule. Is this true in all PFA's?
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    - memory system: only LE is equipped with it. It memorizes outside mirrors, pedals, and seats, but not the steering wheel! (even though it is powered tilting, no memory here)
    - 7" flip-down TFT LCD. It is kind of small for such a large behemoth. I reckon a 10+" would be more proper for 3rd row people to watch. However, with the factory ceiling center console running front to back, I wonder how they would install after-market ones.
    - Yes, the DVD player is located inside the center console between the front seats.
    - PFA is 206" long, compared with a Honda Odyssey at 201". It is only 5" longer. My garage has at least 20" room with Odyssey. I can still open the rear gate without touching the garage door. However, my garage was considered larger than average here. Do measure the garage before you buy the house, of course. It also depends on the type of garage doors (some may touch the rear roof of PFA if it is one-piece door).
  • Options
    cwofergcwoferg Member Posts: 78
    That Nissan has removed the Armada clips from their "Close the Deal Event" commercial? They use to have a couple of clips of the hood closing (in which the entire front grill moves like it is going to fall off) and the doors closing. Saw it again last night on American Idol and ALL of the Armada clips were removed. Anyone know why? Do you think a recall is imminent?
         Also, I think rparnell is right on the money about the problem being more than the roof panel. I don't know and I wish all of you luck.
  • Options
    You could use this as a guide- It is SLIGHTLY narrower than a full size chevy. I actually went to the dealer when these first came out and measured through the passenger compartment, mirror to mirror, to see if it would fit through my car port and into my driveway- it was something like an inch narrower. I needed to know for sure,(it's that close)sales books sometimes dont count mirrors with the dimensions. My thoughts on the heater motor i that it's a world quieter than anything I have heard in a domestic, and really, I don't care as long as it keeps me warm, and it does at that!
  • Options
    dboogiedboogie Member Posts: 71
    Maaaaan, the heater in the Armada definitely accomplishes its job! After I get the initial chill out of it, i've been driving around with the heater off.....and i HATE being cold :O) If i keep it on I get too hot. Better the thing work too good than not good enuff (heheehe). And the noise isn't so much of a complaint as it was an observation.....it doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    Different part of the site, and the data people will follow Nissan's nomenclature until it's official.

Hopefully this discussion will still show up when someone clicks on the Pathfinder Armada option on your linked page... at least that's the way it's supposed to work :-).

The name change here doesn't seem to have had a negative affect.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    I found a place on the internet that sells the 3M kits for the Armada. It only list the SE though not sure what the difference is unless it won't apply to the chrome...looks like you can get the whole kit for about $550. It sounds like this isn't the easiest stuff to put on though. Here's the link to the web site I found. http://www.caraxent.com/productsearch.asp?prevyear=2004&prevm- ake=29&prevmodel=504&prevsubmodel=2246&prevseries=0&a- mp;year=2004&make=29&model=504&submodel=2246&seri- es=482
  • Options
    scott give me your email addy, ill give you the info of my service manager down here so you can talk to him, heres my email chasmanz28@comcast.net
  • Options
    So, I have read the last several hundered posts, and I am almost convinced to buy... Can you guys tell me how many miles you have, and any major problems? Resonance and squeaks don't bother me. I mean majoe electrical and mechanical flaws. I am very wary of buying a made in usa car on its first year of production... sorry, but "made in japan" usually means "quality". That being said, I looove this truck.

I have had an LS400 and a saab, and both have been incredibly reliable with no repairs for YEARS and have never left me stranded. I am worried that the armada will not be like the first year MLs or any ford...

The safe bet is the sequoia..but I just hate to get something in the last model year.
  • Options
    popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    I've got a 4wd SE with just about 2500 miles, and have had it since the beginning of November. No problems for me other than a bad DVD player (which was replaced under warranty). I haven't experienced the resonance issues, but it's seems fairly annoying for some of the people that have talked about it here. I'd make sure you don't have any of those issues before you drive one off the lot.
    Otherwise, I really like the thing. Yes, the interior smacks of 'rubbermaid' and is somewhat bland...but the performance more than makes up for things like that. The kids really like the room in the back, and it really doesn't drive like I thought a 2.5 ton truck would. Anyway...good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    I have an LE 4x4 that I purchased on Dec. 24th, I love this truck the powertrain is very powerful and smooth as silk. I have 1500 miles and the only problem I have had was the moonroof was out of alignment which caused a loud wind noise that problem has been fixed by my dealer. The interior is somewhat plain but that does not bother me, I to was also looking at a Sequoia but my wife really wanted captains chairs in the middle row. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    charfarrowcharfarrow Member Posts: 8
    I just bougt a 4X4 LE with rear splash, microfilter, cargo tray, and floor mats. I paid $38,533 + $287.00 processing fee (and of course sales tax and tags). I had been shopping for a vehicle to tow a 7000 lbs trailer for the last 10 months. I almost bought the Excursion 6.0 disel but went with the Armada. I have one little squeak on the driver armrest that started at mile 500 or so, but it stops if my arm is on the arm rest so it should be an easy fix. I test drove several Armadas and 2 of the 5 I drove had the resonace noise that people have talked about. The one I have was quite in that respect for the first 500 miles or so. Then occasionaly it makes that noise at high speeds (70-80) then goes away. The noise it not bad for me, but not what you want out of a brand new truck. However, everthing else about the truck is just plain great (well not the gas mileage highway 14mpg for me, but i was not driving trying to save gas)! I knew about all the issues, but decided there was no perfect truck/car out there for what I needed, but that the Armada was the closest fit for my needs. I will keep you posted as time goes buy, for this board helped me!
  • Options
    I've had my Armada since New Year's (Happy New Year indeed!) and now have about 1600 miles on it (I just can't stop driving it, I'm just waiting for my Shell gas card to explode in my hand)and have had not one single issue, no defects, my only thing was the parking assist freezing on a below zero day after the car wash
    (now how badly did I need to wash it) but I have found that it is a trait of all vehicles with this. I was real hot on getting a Sequoia because I wasn't sure about the styling of the Nissan, but after driving both there was no option for me BUT the Nissan. It's just a world better behind the wheel, where it really counts.
    This was my first non domestic truck, and I do not regret my decision one bit. Good luck with any decision you make!
  • Options
    cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    question ....

anyone know the dates of the Chicago Auto show... I'm thinking of taking a run down there?
  • Options
    blackfin1blackfin1 Member Posts: 3
    I currently have a 2002 Sequoia. Great vehicle. No problems. Oil changes and routine maintenance. Drives great. One concern - wimpy towing capacity. I feel that it struggles pulling my 5000 lb boat and I plan to do some long range towing this year (300-700 miles).
    Towed my boat to the Nissan dealership today to try out the Armada. The Armada clearly has more power and accelerates much better than the Sequoia with the boat in tow. Braking was better with the Armada also. The Armada definitely had more authority when trying to stop than the Sequoia (no trailer brakes during test but I'm having them installed before my long range tows). However, I didn't notice much difference between the two vehicles once I was up to speed on the interstate. I could really sense the weight of the trailer with both vehicles. I was wishing that I was towing with something that had a little more authority.
    For this reason, I'm planning on trying a Suburban but I have doubts about reliability. My last 3 vehicles have been Toyotas and they've all been very reliable.
    I only drive about 12,000 miles per year and most of that is road trips (ride my bike to work). So basically I'm looking for a road trip vehicle with good towing capacity and room for 5 plus gear.
    Another problem that I have with the Armada is the relatively small amount of cargo space behind the 3rd seat and the fact that the third seat does not split for folding. Putting three kids in the 2nd row on a road trip in order to accommodate gear is not a good option. Also, I think the Sequoia is a smoother and more refined vehicle than the Armada when not towing (I've driven the Armada without a boat in tow also).
    Overall, I was not as impressed with the Armada as I thought I would be. The Suburban sounds like a great vehicle for my needs as far as towing capacity and space. Reliability???
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    nv32nv32 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know whether the tire-pressure monitor system includes the spare?

Has anyone experienced a warning, and if so does the display show which tire is low?

Does it get your attention by a visual alert only, or also by a warning sound? Where is the visual alert?

How would you rate the system overall? Thanks.
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    If your last three vehicles were Toyota's, then may I suggest your going to be taking a really big "questionable" step in regards to reliability to go with the Suburban.

As far as the tire pressure monitoring system question goes, if it's a limited service spare then it definetly does not have a monitor.

I doubt that the spare would include one even if it was a full service tire, which if you think about it is kind of poor engineering or product planning.

How do you handle five tire rotations?

It would certainly be a PITA to have to remove and reinstall two tires everytime you rotated just to get the sensor moved from one wheel to the other!

Wonder what another sensor would cost?
  • Options
    Interesting observation about the towing. Surprised they would let you do that. Not good for a vehicle that hasn't been broken in to hook up 5k lbs plus and go for a ride. Anyway, I ruled out the Sequoia for lack of towing. With that much weight on a long trip you won't want the 1500 Sub either. The transmission is the weak link. You'd definitely want to go to the 2500. Probably the 8.0L too. I've read that the 6.0L is more higher revving so the power band isn't as low as say the Armada 5.6L.

I'm divided between another 2500 Sub or the Armada. Lack of storage kills me on the Armada. Bottom line though is I just like the thing. I'm almost certain it's what I'll end up getting.
                                                                  Reliability is a given that the Sub won't be as good. Expect to have several things go wrong by 100k miles. However with your driving needs it will take a long time for you to worry about that. Plus you can get an extended warranty. Good luck with whatever you decide on. If you go Armada please keep the board updated on the towing.
  • Options
    bchambers1bchambers1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Blackfin,

I'm buying an Armada soon because I also have hi towing needs but refuse to buy another GM. I have a 99 tahoe and have had way too many unreasonable repairs (too often and too $). Everybody has a different tolerance for this, but GM exceeded mine. My purchase decision came down to the Durango Hemi, the Expedition, or the Armada. Neither the Dodge nor the Expedition excited me from a styling standpoint and I will be buying an Armada in the next few weeks (searching for one equipped to my taste now).
  • Options
    fjfilipsfjfilips Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am seriously considering getting an Armada. However, I am trying to do more research (like on the resonance issue). This is by far the best information resource I have found so far, but I was wondering what other websites & boards exist that have a significant amount of information and discussion? I have been unable to find anything useful other than this discussion thread. Any leads appreciated.
  • Options
    chuntmdchuntmd Member Posts: 17
    Standard tire pressure monitor is just a light on the dash that tells you one or more of the 4 tires are low.

Now if you got the buck get the NAV system and then each individual tire will show the pressure. Spare is not included in either version.
  • Options
    Considering as I spent over ten years towing a 6000 pound boat with a Suburban, I think I can shed a little light for you (getting ready to duck here)
    When it comes to towing big things (5000 lbs plus) as far as suv's go, the Suburban IS the best bet. Before people start smacking me, let me tell you why. It has the longest wheelbase and most weight (other than an Excursion, and if your'e gonna go that route, might as well get a Dodge duallie with a hemi and get it over with)weight is very important when it comes to towing things on the highway, trailer brakes or not. Of course a 2500 would be better over a 1/2 ton, but if you plan on saving your back for retirement, I wouldn't reccomend one, especially for an everyday vehicle. NOW, Why I'm against a suburban...reliability. If you have had three Toyotas and are going to move to a GM product, you are in for all kinds of misery. My last "good" Suburban was a 95, I took it to 200k, I have had three GM trucks since, the last one only went 6000 miles with me before I couldn't take it anymore. I grew up with GM (people are probably getting sick of my rant by now)and never thought I would own a foreign truck. GM and their declining reliability have driven me to tears, and now I own an Armada. My advice to you, get a sway control setup if you do not have one already. They are not required for something like what you tow, but trust me, it will make it feel like you are towing a 500 pound trailer. WELL worth the investment. Okay, I'm getting off my crate now- Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    I almost mentioned the longer wheelbase but didn't. The Sub is 7" longer but don't know if it would really make that much of a difference.

I do drive a 2500 as a daily vehicle. Have for 8 years. If you don't mind feeling every 1/4" hole or 1" rock you won't mind it a bit. Although the newer Subs should be better riding. Having said that I found in my test drive the Armada wasn't all that much better. Will have to do it again in a different one next time. Still prefer the Armada by a long shot. I'm going to wait until the 05 comes out in the fall before I buy. Besides a new boat has priority right now.
  • Options
    Try a net search; our beancounters don't like to give free advertising to competing forums. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    blackfin1blackfin1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to check out getting a weight distribution/sway control system for my trailer. That sounds like it will provide the stability that I'm looking for and allow me to go with the Armada. I was impressed by the power and braking on the Armada but felt a little unstable at highway speeds with a simple tow hitch setup.
    Any recommendations on good sway control systems? Draw-Tite seemed pretty good from my research so far. Is it critical to match the tongue weight of the trailer to the recommended tongue weight of the system (i.e. is it a problem to get a system that exceeds the tongue weight of the trailer?)
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    NHTSA mandates two options for manufactures over a period of years to come.
    - direct system: rim-mounted sensors(MEMS) that transmit signal to central mounted unit that talks to the computer (therefore display in dash or NAVI-system). The system cost about $66 for manufacturers. Not sure if one is included in the full-size spare that Armada has. But Nissan is using Schrader Electronics of North Ireland. Again, not sure if Armada is an exception. Guess not.
    PROS: it detects exactly which tires is under-inflated. Less false alarm. Even in stationary.
    CONS: pricy ($66). Rotation problem. Need to make sure the guy who rotates dismount your tires know you have TPMS on the rim. Otherwise, it gets damaged during dismounting.

- indirect system: employ ABS sensors to detect rotating speed difference among tires. It is cheaper ($13) if the cars already has ABS sensors on board.
    PROS: no rotation problem. No mounting/dismounting problem. No spare tire trouble. Cheaper.
    CONS: more false alarm. Cannot detect multiple under-inflation (same axisle). Must detect when cars are in motion.

There are more and more direct systems employed as consumers would request to know exactly which tire is under-inflated.

One new advancement for direct system is that a new system (forgot which company) uses four antenna, one near each wheel. As usual, inside each wheel, there is a sensor that communicates to the nearest antenna. All four antenna are connect to a central unit. By doing do, rotation is no longer an issue since a new wheel can talk to the nearest sensor, and virtually identify itself to the central unit. In contrast, an older system has sensors directly broadcast to the central unit with designated signature. Therefore, rotation is an issue.

This is a summary of what I read. Welcome any corrections if I am wrong here.
  • Options
    jomijomi Member Posts: 20
    I have the NAV system and this provides a screen that shows the tire pressure on 4 tires. I have discovered that it only seems to work when the vehicle is moving. The only frustration is even though they show the 4 tires individually, they don't tell you the locations (front, back, left, right). Has anyone figured out in what order the tires are on the screen?
  • Options
    waynebrucewaynebruce Member Posts: 16
    While I don't have Nav on my SE, if the tire pressure monitor is set up like Infiniti (my prior car), then assuming the factory mounted the wheels in the same order as in an Infiniti, the numbers from top to bottom correspond to these wheels: front left, front right, rear right and rear left. That is they go clockwise starting at the front left. Only way to check for sure is to let air out/put air in on a specific tire and see which number changes. Also, when I rotated my tires, each sensor is locked on to a specific location on the nav screen...ie when the front left went to rear left, it still showed as the first number on the nav screen, so the order changed going counter clockwise from rear left...very confusing i know!! Hope that helps!!
  • Options
    How long is your rig including trailer? I'm guessing at least 25ft. I towed about 7500lbs boat, motor and trailer with an overall length of about 30ft. give or take. I used a weight distributing hitch too. Can't say enough good things about it. Had to swerve on more than one occasion driving the L.A. freeways. Not sure brand but it came with the trailer which was a Pacific Trailer. You'll have to get the trailer modified to allow your surge breaks to move forward when the brakes are applied. Basically there is a box at the tongue that rolls back and forth when you stop and go.
                                              Personally I wouldn't get the Armada IF I had my old boat. I'd prefer to have everything heavy duty on the tow rig. Say what you want about GM reliability but the old 454, trannie and 4.10 did a heck of a job towing.
  • Options
    nv32nv32 Member Posts: 35
    Wouldn't that be in the manual .... I hope
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Nissan is going to change their full-size SUV's name to just ARMADA for the 2005 model year. The publications being printed right now for the 04 model year will say just ARMADA, but the SUV won't drop the PATHFINDER moniker until the 05MY.
  • Options
    george646george646 Member Posts: 2
    Would like to have chrome plated wheels if I buy an Armada. Am leaning towards an LE 4WD which comes with 6 spoke aluminum wheels which I guess are painted - definitely not chrome. I was thinking of getting aftermarket wheels which I believe are chrome plated aluminum or having the factory wheels chrome plated. I saw an ad in Motor Trend for a company that does that. I tow a boat and would be backing my Armada's back wheels partially into salt water when I launch. I would appreciate info anyone has on following:
    1) How do the tire pressure monitors work? Can you get them on aftermarket wheels?
    2) If I have the factory wheels chrome plated would the monitors have to be removed and re-installed?
    3) Any problems with chrome plated aluminum when exposed to salt water?
    4) Is the spare wheel identical to others, and does it have the pressure monitor?