Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Armada

Comments

• Options
    chasmanz28chasmanz28 Member Posts: 109
    yes i called nissan and told them what im now going through with this now nighmare of a problem, and they were very nice on the "phone", they told me that they might send an engineer down here to see whats going on, only time will tell if that ever happens, and yes im trying to do the right thing and see what the dealership will do next but when you see all the damage done to the inside of a brand new interior it makes me sick, woe is me :(
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like they are at least trying, just be sure to point out the damage and ask them to replace it all once they sort out the resonance. Good luck.

-juice
  • Options
    thanks for the replys in my time of need, i wasnt even going to have the tsb done because of this very issue but the service manager told me all would be "fine", and it backfired in my face which i knew deep down that it would, but the resonace was drving me crazy, just cant see how a mechanic would do that much damage and think it wouldnt bother me its crazy if you ask me, not only that but it rattles even more now, so i just dont know whats next
  • Options
    dboogiedboogie Member Posts: 71
    hey chasman, i know it ain't much, but i'm hoping and praying that not only you, but everyone with this issue gets it resolved.
  • Options
    me too because i know im not alone in this matter, just how badly it turned out is sad, maybe when somebody else gets there armada fixed they can give some feedback on how it went, ill be curious
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    FWIW, I had an aftermarket moonroof put in my Forester, and one of the pillar trim pieces was loose. It just needed a new fastener. They replaced it at no charge.

I hope Nissan can fix yours up.

-juice
  • Options
    delaatdelaat Member Posts: 2
    I noticed an extreme amount of resonance on choppy freeways when I first got my Armada. I checked the tire preasure and the tires were over-inflated at 40 psi. I found the 32 psi works best, even though it is below the factory recommendation of 35 psi. The low tire preasure warning system does not go on till 28 psi. The reduction in preasure helps slighty to lessen the resonance.

I found after 3,000 miles the amount resonance is dramatically less. It has essentially dimished to an acceptable level. I suspect the suspension bushings, shocks and tires all need to be broken in and all transmit more vibration to the body when the car is fresh out of the factory.

By the way the Continental Contitracs are very cheap and noisy tires. See the ratings and comments at www.tirerack.com. Nearly 600,000 2000-2001 Ford Expeditions had to be recalled with these tires see:

http://www.owenpatterson.com/product-liability/continental-tire-r- ecall.html

I am waiting for Michelin to come out with a set of Cross Terrains in the right size. These tires would greatly reduce road noise and any resonance. They also have a very smooth ride. I had the cross terrains on my former suv.
  • Options
    teddybear3teddybear3 Member Posts: 11
    After 10,000 miles the resonance problem is no longer noticeable except for the roughest interstate roads at about 75mph. Love it, mileage is low 14-17 mpg. Only a kink windshield washer hose. 100 mph is nothing for this brute. Did some deep snow. Makes ML320 or Acura MDX look like toys.
  • Options
    robertt5robertt5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, been reading this board for a few weeks and really appreciate all the comments and insight. It made my decision much easier and clued me into what to look out for.

I just picked up a loaded LE yesterday, traded in a GX470. I love the LE thus far and have a question about the DVD entertainment option: Can it be set to display the map seen on the nav screen? I could do that on the Lexus and found that the kids loved it. Anyone have an idea? I'm haven't been able to find a specific reference in the owner's manuals, which in any case are not very user friendly. Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Options
    woohooo, you have the Armada ROLLIN' don't cha?? :O)
  • Options
    robertt5robertt5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, been reading this board for a few weeks and really appreciate all the comments and insight. It made my decision much easier and clued me into what to look out for.

I just picked up a loaded LE yesterday, traded in a GX470. I love the LE thus far and have a question about the DVD entertainment option: Can it be set to display the map seen on the nav screen? I could do that on the Lexus and found that the kids loved it. Anyone have an idea? I'm haven't been able to find a specific reference in the owner's manuals, which in any case are not very user friendly. Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Options
    bullwagbullwag Member Posts: 10
    Went to pick up my new LE PFA yesterday and bsides the wrong one being brought in, I had a question about ATC(automatic temp. control). This is supposed to come standard with the LE, but every LE that I looked at just has the standard temp. dial from hot to cold with a seperate dial for fan speed. Asked the manager, and he claimed that by setting the temp. dial is the automatic feature that nissan is talking about. EVERY car in America is set up this way. I checked a manual that comes with the LE and they show a auto dial as an option. Can anybody give me some insight? The dealer is going to locate my correct vehicle early next week.
  • Options
    llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    I thought that only came with the Tech package? Maybe I'm thinking of the dual climate contol.
  • Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 5
    ...only comes with the Tech package along with the dual temp control (one more reason I got the tech package on my LE).
  • Options
    hbtmdhbtmd Member Posts: 3
    I am sad to hear the problems that Chasmanz is having. My Toyota Landcruiser lease runs out soon and I was planning to purchase/lease an Armada until I found the resonance/air pressure on a new LE I test drove.

I would not be surprised if such a major problem occured in a new American vehicle but in a Nissan??!! I am truly surprised. I am even more surprised that they didn't take much better care of Chasmanz. I will be watching this board to help me decide whether to get an Armada after all or go with another Toyota product. The Toyota Landcruiser has been completely problem free since I took delivery 4 years and 58,500 miles ago. It is a bit more expensive than a new Armada, however.

Best Regards / Howard
  • Options
    rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Was vacuuming out the back seat of my Armada as found some metal shavings... Decided to look closer and found the bolt holding in the drivers seat belt sticking out about an inch further than it should... Upon closer observation, I noticed the threads were stripped for the entire length of the bolt that was exposed... Some Bubba in Mississippi cross threaded this bolt backed it out about 1/2 way and left it..

My question is--Now that that bolt has been cross threaded in the hole (which I assume is part of the frame) will that seat belt ever be as structurally strong as it was originally??

Thoughts appreciated!!
  • Options
    OK, this may be a VERY elementary question and I feel sorta stupid for asking, but how the heck do you activate the heating feature on the outside mirrors? I looked ALL through the manual and found nothing that tells you how to do it. Does the heating feature automatically come on whenever you turn the heater on to warm the inside of the vehicle?? I'm stumped and just curious as to how the darn thing works.
    any clarification is appreciated
  • Options
    carzarcarzar Member Posts: 5
    I'm interested in a new Armada, but want to learn more about the resonance issue - such as in what models does it present itself most often? And with or without a sunroof... so, here is a public poll (hope it works) that owners can post their experience to: Armada Resonance Poll

Results should be available on the poll-site. If not, I will post results periodically.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    The switch is the same as the rear window defroster. When you switch on, you switch on both rear window defroster and the heated outside mirrors. It is on manual page 2-24.

No, I haven't owned it yet, but I have a PDF version of Armada manual.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    The only way is to find Video output from navigation and plug it into auxiliary input of DVD entertainment system. I do know the latter exist, but due to lack of navigation manual of Armada, I cannot be sure about the former or how easy it is to access it. Good luck.
  • Options
    Its there plain as day...page 2-24!! i flipped through that darn manual twice and missed it both times. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.
  • Options
    jabcpajabcpa Member Posts: 11
    I have been a chronic complainer of a low frequency vibration that causes my ears to pop when I drive over anything other than glass-smooth roadways. Since it is my wife's car (who does NOT notice it, but has poor low frequency hearing) I only drive it about once a week. We went out yesterday and the rumble seemed less noticeable than before. About 2,900 miles on the thing now. Hopefully, it is something that eventually minimizes as the parts work together.. Of course, it could all be in my head and I only imagined the rumble, but it is not so much what I hear, as what I feel (a pain in my ears, similar to a pressure increase on a plane). I'll keep posting as I drive more. To those sitting on the side lines waiting to see the resonance resolution before buying, maybe you need to buy PFAs with 3K+ miles? Maybe I can get a premium for mine now?!
  • Options
    scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    Well I have had my Armada since December now and just now noticed I'm missing my Bose subwoofer.I was at the car wash, when I noticed that there was a wire hanging under the seat!! thought it was the power seat harness. Well, after much searching It was discovered, the complete Bose system was gone. I contacted the Dealer who was understanding but has no idea how that got past them. If you have not already, do yourself the favor and check out your car to make sure you actually got what your paying for.
    Also, while I was talking to the Dealers area director, I asked him about the "dirt in my paint"
    (four areas) he said that Nissan will paint the affected areas for free. I declined for now, but he said that I would have 5 years to decide, as Nissan warrantys the paint for that long.
  • Options
    hbtmdhbtmd Member Posts: 3
    I just drove another Armada today. It is hard to believe it is the same model I drove 2 weeks ago! This one seemed as solid as a bank vault without any shakes, rattle, vibration or resonance!! Quit different from my prior test drive. It looks like Nissan has the resonance problem solved in the newer production models. An Armada will now be very high on my list when the lease on my Landcruiser runs out on April 3rd. I sincerely hope Nissan takes proper care of those people who got the early production models with the resonance problems.

Regards / Howard
  • Options
    soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    Well, mine is just the opposite. Nothing at first but now I notice it and it is bugging the crap out of me. I have 4,500 miles. I took it on a trip at around 900 miles and when I got back I had 3,100 miles. No sounds. (at least that I notice) Now though it is getting worse over time. I have to do something. I thought I had escaped the curse but it seems that the longer you go (in my case) the more likely it is to come up. I guess movement, vibrations etc., could be a factor. It will be fixed one way or another as I won't put up with it. Mine is a SE. Besides the worn out brakes at about 3,500 miles and a few rattles, (which I can tolerate) it is doing well. I will be taking it to the shop soon to get everything addressed.
  • Options
    dodger22dodger22 Member Posts: 9
    Just read your old post concerning your front brake rotors. After three trips to the dealer for brake problems and other issues, Ifinally have a PFA that brakes without extreme vibration and shakes. First they turned the front rotors, 2nd visit didn't find anything and then on the third visit found the rear left rotor way out of specs. They turned it and all's fine now. Still can't use the rear pass door - still stuck shut. Received notice today that the latch is in. It's only been two months on B/O. Guess that's what I get for buying a first year vehicle (no parts in stock). Awesome truck..no regrets. Now if I could only get the fan to stay on the feet only position when the truck starts every time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all of the tips on this board. FYI-The service mgr spoke about the reasonance issue, saying it's only an issue with the first PFA releases. He mentioned it's a 3 day job because they need to re-glue the headliner to prevent flexing. He spent most of the time talking about the horrible trannys in the Murano's.
  • Options
    shopinfulshopinful Member Posts: 47
    My husband and I are trying to decide whether to get the Armada and the noise and brake problem is frightening me a little bit. Those of you that have the Armada and are having the problems - would you still get the vehicle? I also see that everyone says the resonance issue was on early vehicles. Does that mean the ones on the lot now are o.k.? Is the problem with moonroofs or with all? We were going to buy tomorrow but.......haven't driven on the highway yet, sounds like we should?? Thanks for the help in advance.
  • Options
    I haven't experienced the resonance issue with my LE (no sunroof) or any of the other 5 Armadas (some with sunroof, some without) I test drove before I purchased mine. AT A MINIMUM, I would atleast test drive an Armada over different types of roads (highway, residential, smooth, bumpy, etc....) at varying speeds. If you don't notice the resonance sound then THATS the one i'd suggest you get. Other than a slightly annoying rattle that was coming from the second row passenger seat and a slightly out of aligned latch on the second row passenger door on the drivers side, my LE has been problem free. Both of the "problems" I just mentioned were promptly fixed by the dealer!! oh yeah, my LE was made in December.
    GOOD LUCK SUV SHOPPING :o)!!!!
  • Options
    mark1235mark1235 Member Posts: 2
    Nice to find a site that is so active with Armada chat. Like many of you, we are looking at buying the Armada sometime in the next year and really like what we hear so far. In an effort to not rule out anything yet, we are also considering the yukon xl's (suburban). We like Nissan reliability and that is a huge selling point for us. We have never owned a big doemstic vehicle yet but there is something nice about the roominess and price (we cart around a lot of people/kids). Has anyone here owned a big domestic vehicle and would never go back after owning the armada?
  • Options
    tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    I drove nothing BUT large domestics (the Chevy/GMC twins) all my life. I bought an Armada (LE Galaxy LOADED)in January, I now have 2600 miles on it. I honestly feel that even if the roof BLEW off my Armada, I would not go back to a domestic. I cite SERIOUS quality issues with GM, reliability, the deplorable resale value, etc. As I have said before, I never thought I would own a non domestic truck, but boy, am I glad I took the shot at the Armada. It may not be as much of a cargo hauler as a Suburban, but it comes darn close- and I don't miss sitting in the dealer waiting room while the GM techs, looking like the monkeys in the Wizard of OZ, try to figure out why my dash is blinking like Studio 54. As I'm sure you have read looking back on these posts, look for the issues some of the early ones have when looking, this is a first year model and there are bound to be a few glitches. Learn from our experiences what to look for when shopping an Armada. Good luck!
  • Options
    sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    I happened to notice that the radiator size on the Off Road Package is larger than a standard one even with the Tow Package. Would think that Nissan would put a larger radiator in with the Tow Package but they didn't. My question is does anyone have the Off Road set up? If so, how many gallons (quarts) of coolant does it hold? How much does a standard radiator hold? Wondering if it's worth getting the Off Road or just go buy a larger radiator. I don't think I can wait until Fall to get an Armada.
  • Options
    mark1235mark1235 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks tiggerguy. After going back in the posts a bit it sounds like you are not the only one who feels this way about the big domestics. I think the Armada is the one, but we might wait until 2005 to see if the resonanace and other little rattle bugs can get worked out. I'm scared to test drive now cause I know I'll want one right away and we gotta wait until our second kid is born ($$$$$).

So...more questions. After owning your Armadas, how do you folks feel about 1) leather vs. cloth, 2) Off-Road vs. No Off-Road 3) Big Tow vs. No Big Tow. Also, has anyone seen a deep water colored Armada Pic? I keep looking on other sites, but never see this color.
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    send me your email and i will send you a pic.
  • Options
    Answer to question 1 - The main reason i went with leather is simple....i've never owned a vehicle with leather and when i decided to buy (my wife AND i that is), we said whatever vehicle we got, we wanted leather. The leather in the Armada, is ok...i've felt better leather in other vehicles though. We went with the graphite because to us it just looked better than the steel or sand colors. We didn't like the look of any of the cloth seats.
    Answer to question 2 - Went with the LE instead of the off road for one simple reason.....we didn't like the wheels on the Off Road (silly reason, huh:O) )
    Answer to question 3 - Went with the Big Tow for one simple reason....if we ever nead to tow something big, the tow package is already there. Do we have anything big to tow right now? NOPE! But I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    As to the Deep Water Blue, i've yet to see pictures of it, but i have seen it in person. Color choice is a purely personal thing.....my wife liked the Deep Water Blue and the Smoke. I didn't care too much for the Deep Water Blue but I LOVED the Smoke (actually I wanted black, but my wife DEFINITELY didn't want black because they are so hard to keep clean). To me the deep water blue looked more a shade of green with PERHAPS a very slight tint of blue in it. Soooo we went with the LE, Smoke exterior and Graphite leather interior and we're both head over heels in love with it
  • Options
    tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    I agree with dboogie on the leather- I didn't care for the cloth- was going to go with an LE anyways, so it was a moot point. I chose the graphite for the same reason too- I personally don't understand the brown/grey two tone, and the steel is just too light for me. I agree it's not the nicest leather out there...one big plus tho, with leather you can have heated seats, and that is just lovely on a cold New England morning! I actually like the Deep Water Blue myself, but even though I knew I would be washing it every week, i went with the Galaxy (black) hey, what fun is a new vehicle if you can't wash it every week? As for the off road, I hated the wheels too LOL they kinda reminded me of those Centerlines that were popular in the 70's...I did see a real cool set of standard 18" Nissan wheels that someone plated..theyr'e on e-bay...a bit steep price tho. I can't really comment on the tow or Off Road, I wanted a loaded LE from the get go, so it came with the tow package. And trust me..if you go drive one now, you will be tempted to buy one now...better to drool from a distance- I got everyone cheap X-mas presents to help swing my purchase because I didn't want to wait! (sh..don't tell them LOL)
  • Options
    i agree with ya on washing the new vehicle..thats half the fun of owning it.
    I don't know why my wife was complaining about black getting dirty....heck, she ain't gonna be helping me wash the darn thing, so what diffence does it make if it gets dirty a lot (DONT TELL HER I SAID THAT...I'LL DENY IT IF YOU
    DO :>) )
    I love to see a clean automobile, thats why i wipe mine down every night before i go to bed. that way when it IS time to give it a bath on the weekend, its not that difficult to do. My wife says i spend too much time with the Armada...but i don't hear her complaining when she's ready to go somewhere and the thing is spotless (I'll DENY THAT STATEMENT TOO :o) )
  • Options
    charfarrowcharfarrow Member Posts: 8
    Took another trip 900 miles or so round trip. The awful wind noise was less in frequency and intensity. It only happens on rough/uneven concrete, never on asphalt, highways at 60-90 mph. I have one slight rattle on the left driver armrest that goes away whenever my arm is on the arm rest. Gas mileage is low 13.8 at 80-85 mph, but still can't resist letting her pass with pride on the highway. After my sure to come speeding ticket, I am sure gas mileage will improve. I have about 2700 miles now almost all highway and love the truck, brakes work great. If you are thinking about buying and can wait till next year then do it, but if you want the best thing available now buy it you won't regret it.
  • Options
    when you said "After my sure to come speeding ticket" i burst out laffing.....it sounded soooo funny and amazingly familiar to the way I feel when I'm driving my Armada :O) I keep saying to myself "305hp, 385torque....vroooooom vroooom!!"
    AND it doesn't make matters any better when your son is back seat drive in his car seat yelling, "faster daddy, faster!!!"
  • Options
    shopinfulshopinful Member Posts: 47
    I had written earlier that my husband and I were deciding to buy Armada or Sequoia. Bit the bullet and went with the Armada. Drove both the SE and LE and both thought the ride was much smoother on the LE. We have a 4 runner LE also and it rode much better. We are really not truck people so like the car-like feel. Got a Smoke exterior. If it would have been up to me I would have gotten the Deep Water Blue. We live in Florida and the color does look like the blue ocean when out in deep water. Nice color - kinda like a deep turquoise. The LE comes with heated seats....like I said live in Fla. so when the sales person told us it had heated seats we laughed - until this eve when it was 53 (very cold for us) and the salesman turned up the heated seats for the ride home. I LOVE those heated seats!!! We don't toe anything but figured maybe in the future, who knows with 2 boys 19 and 21. Also resale on a vehicle this big would probably be a good idea with tow package. My husband has already given the Armada a name "The Beast". This thing is huge! We test drove a few times on different conditions and lastly on highway. No interior noise. It was built in January 04. I think we got a pretty good deal $39,500 and free tires for the life of the car. We just have to have our maintenance and check up's done at the Nissan Dealership which we would do anyway. My husband was all about free tires for life since we keep our vehicles a long time. Those big tires have to cost....have never bought any that big. So, we are now in the Armada group. Enjoying this sight. Took the edmunds.com price sheets with us to the dealer - I think it helped.
    I keep telling the sales people we were Toyota people so this vehicle better be reliable or I would be back. We also got the 5 year warranty since it is a new model (just in case there is a problem) We have our own business so the tax write off is a good one for 6000 lbs. I am the shopper in the family (yes even for vehicles) so the salesmen for both Nissan and Toyota found that very interesting. I narrow it down and then husband goes for the test drives and decides which one he likes best if of course it is his vehicle. Did I mention he also goes to sign on the dotted line. Any one that is a true "car person" laughs when I tell them this....but many cars, 4 runners and 25 years later - works for us!!
  • Options
    BIG CONGRATS Shopinful!!! Sounds like the buying experience was a pretty good one for you. WOW, free tires for life...now thats a good deal!!!! I'm really happy for ya. I have a question....when you mentioned your 4runner, were you saying the 4runner drove better or the Armada drove better? Just curious.
     Oh yeah..... 53 degrees, brrrr, sounds like a new ice age is coming on (do you detect a little sarcasm in my voice...hehehehehehe). I'm just teasing :O) Once again, congratulations and i hope you enjoy your vehicle just as much as I'm enjoying mine!!
  • Options
    our high temp will be about 48 today...zip the complaining!

;-)
  • Options
    shulajshulaj Member Posts: 11
    I have posted on here before of the desire I had to buy the Armada, but I was sadly dissapointed with too many things I think are badly designed or are flaws about the Armada. (SEE MESSAGE 1317)

I went to the Detroit autoshow and sat in everything else I never drove (like the Lexus 470). I also sat in the 3rd row of the Durango (1st time sitting in it) and I fit. (I am 6ft)

I didn't want to like the Durango but I thought I would at least test drive it.

I was provided a Durango for two weekends from a friend at Daimler. WOW!

I was shocked. That HEMI is fanastic, the truck was far quieter that the PFA and most importantly, the ride was WAY WAY better. The PFA makes a ton of road noises over thumps. The Durango doesn't. Period.

Nothing wrong with the PFA but really, the Durango is worth a drive.
  • Options
    the fact that chrysler gives away money for you to buy it didnt hurt either, huh?
  • Options
    onederdogonederdog Member Posts: 18
    I know what you mean. I"ve had my PFA since just after Thanksgiving, and the noise seems to get worse every month. It's almost sounds like a door is ajar. If anyone knows how to cushion the "thumps", please post. However if I hadn't bought the Armada, I'd have gone for the Sequoia. I bought my last Dodge years ago, been there done that. I've also read on some of the towing forums about the hemi's 9 MPG fuel economy.
  • Options
    btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    shopinful you mentioned that you will be able to take a tax deduction, I thought that was for vehicles that were over 6,000 pounds, the brochure states that the PFA is 5,517 pounds could you please elaborate.

Thanks
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    GVWR > 6000lbs not curb weight think the GVWR of the PFA is closser to 7K so it qualifies easy.
  • Options
    The tax law refers to 6000 GVWR. That is basically the vehicle fully loaded.. Not the actual vehicle weight that you posted.. The Armada does qualify for the tax deduction.
  • Options
    I love the ride in my Armada. Especially now that I let the extra 10lbs of air pressure out of the tires.. For some unknown reason, it seems Nissan sends these things out of the factory at about 44psi, which makes for a rough ride.. I lowered mine to 35 psi (as called for) and it makes a difference.. The other thing I think will help is when I replace the Conticrap tires with some Michelins. I have no rattles in mine at all.. Had a small squeak in the overhead console, but tightened it up and it's gone now.

My only major complaint so far is some numbnut put the bolt to the driver side seatbelt in cross threaded then backed it out halfway and left it. Glad I noticed it before (God forbid) I needed it.
  • Options
    shulajshulaj Member Posts: 11
    I have posted on here before of the desire I had to buy the Armada, but I was sadly dissapointed with too many things I think are badly designed or are flaws about the Armada. (SEE MESSAGE 1317)

I went to the Detroit autoshow and sat in everything else I never drove (like the Lexus 470). I also sat in the 3rd row of the Durango (1st time sitting in it) and I fit. (I am 6ft)

I didn't want to like the Durango but I thought I would at least test drive it.

I was provided a Durango for two weekends from a friend at Daimler. WOW!

I was shocked. That HEMI is fanastic, the truck was far quieter that the PFA and most importantly, the ride was WAY WAY better. The PFA makes a ton of road noises over thumps. The Durango doesn't. Period.

Nothing wrong with the PFA but really, the Durango is worth a drive.
  • Options
    sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    So does anyone have the figures for coolant cap. for both the Off Road and standard Armada? Thanks.