Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Armada

Comments

• Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the 44 PSI is so that the tires dont get cupped in transit or sitting on the lot. the dealer/sales/tech should lower it at delivery.
  • Options
    rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Thanks for the explanation.. I figured there was some reason for it. Looks like my dealer didn't do their job...
  • Options
    onederdogonederdog Member Posts: 18
    I have the Off Road Se and the cover on my owners manual just say's Armada owners manual. It is know different then any other model. It shows the coolant cap. @ 14.4 liters
    My PFA also has the tow package.
  • Options
    it also depends on the salesman...some know and some dont. if you took delivery on a busy weekend, its even easier to overlook things like that.
  • Options
    cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    my dad owns his own company (makes the suspention components for the PFA,Expedition, and the Lincoln Navigator .... he cuts the tubing) anyways I'm looking to buy rather lease a new car, and I do some running around for him. I'm trying to keep the payments around or below 500 dollars. I don't really need a fuly loaded armada, just the base would do me fine, and since it gets used for the company we're thinking my dad can wright some of it off in the tax's. the problem lies in making the payments till next tax time, I'm trying to figure out if these lease well, and also if there are any used ones yet, yea I know they are rather new, but wishful thinking never hurt. I just bought last year a Nissan Altima 02.5 - 03 and that is now my moms car, and I'm looking to get a new car again, but would preferr to get an suv. any comments on what we could do? planning on signing a deal by the end of this month
  • Options
    armadas should be in your range with $1k-$2k due at signing.
  • Options
    sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    The Nissan website says the Off Road has a larger radiator than either the LE or SE models regardless of tow package. Can't believe they would do that but apparently they did.
  • Options
    shopinfulshopinful Member Posts: 47
    DBowgie - We own 2 4 Runners which our boys now drive. We rode in the Sequoia also before deciding on the Armada. My husband thought the seats in his 4 Runner (99) was more comfortable and more spacious (he is 6 ft.) than the Sequoia. We have always been happy with our 4 Runners. Been great cars but our account says it is time to get the Big Boys!! So the Armada was our choice. The 93 4 runner has 130,000 miles. It was cold again today.....had those heated seats on at lunch time. How do you people survive in really cold weather?? I felt your pain today...lol We thought the tire deal was quite a perk! That helped sway my husband too.
  • Options
    shopinfulshopinful Member Posts: 47
    Btill1, The gross weight of the LE is 7000 lbs. I believe the SE is close to 6500 lbs. Look at the spec. on this website. The Sequoia is less but still goes over 6000.
  • Options
    armada4wdarmada4wd Member Posts: 8
    For the past 2 months i have been wondering if there's something wrong with my air vents. The problem is that when I set it to recycle air (No outside cold air, fumes, etc)I'm still able to smell other vehicles fumes. this kind of bothers me alot. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? could there be something stock in the air vent that prevents it from closing 100% (To avoid outside air/fumes)

Help...
  • Options
    sub9904, where does the Nissan website show this information about a larger radiator on the Off Road version. I can't find it.
  • Options
    Onederdog check out this link:
    http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelHomePage/0,,30846,00.html
    You'll see the 3 versions of the Armada. Put your cursor on the SE Off Road. It will say what it has on it. It says that is comes with a heavy duty radiator. The tow package does not have the larger radiator. Well if it does it certainly doesn't say so.
  • Options
    Wow, you must really pay attention ! Just out of morbid curiosity I'm going to look under the hood tonight and see if there is a capacity listed on the radiator itself. I know that there is a small (about 8") fan that you can see from the front of the vehicle. I assume this is an extra tranny cooler for the tow package.

I also want to thank rshe for the post about tire pressure as it applies to the ride. My tire pressure was set at about 42psi. I think it may help some, now that its down to 35.
    Now how can we get a little better gas mileage? I have only once got slightly above 15. I run regular unleaded. I have kept a log of every fillup since it was new. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post the MPG results.
  • Options
    it often takes 5k-10k miles before a vehicle "breaks in" for mileage purposes. my focus has 4500 on it and is just starting to get the posted EPA ratings.
  • Options
    llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    #1734 Question about DVD player by robertt5

I came across this site below that has a video switcher that will allow the navigation to be put on different screens and will also allow the factory nav screen to be used for other video sources - dvd, backup camera etc. Seems a little pricey ($500+) for a video switcher but if you figure you are saving the cost of an additional monitor ??????
    http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.htm
  • Options
    carzarcarzar Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to the 20 responses so far regarding the resonance issues, it appears there is a pattern forming. Models without sunroofs are more likely to have resonance issues. Of the 20 responses, 7 responded that they have resonance problems. All 7 of the resonance reports belonged to non-sunroof Armadas - without regard to LE, SE, 4x4 or 4x2. Most models appear to be early production. I'll keep the survey running and monitor the changes as production dates change. You can visit the original post and survey link at post number 1743.
  • Options
    charfarrowcharfarrow Member Posts: 8
    Please post your mileage. Thanks
  • Options
    dboogiedboogie Member Posts: 71
    post your mileage.........pleeeeeeze :O)
  • Options
    The first fill-up was done by the dealer so I don't have any info. for that, and I didn't start keeping track until my second fill.
    FILL# GALS. @MILE DIST. MPG
    2 18.67 586 269 14.40
    3 19.47 858 272 13.97
    4 17.98 1128 270 15.02
    5 18.86 1411 283 15.00
    6 17.71 1672 261 14.73
    7 16.16 1890 218 13.49
    8 16.10 2100 210 13.04
    9 20.81 2366 266 12.78
    10 21.59 2684 318 14.72
    11 8.59 2806 122 14.20
    12 20.56 3107 301 14.64
    13 22.91 3431 324 14.14
    14 19.00 3703 272 14.31
    15 20.01 3984 281 14.04
    I just run regular unleaded. From mile 893 to mile 2457 we we're on a trip from SLC to Ellensburg, WA. so it was mostly freeway driving @ 70 to 85 mph. Overall its 3667 miles and 258.42 gals. of fuel for and average 14.19 mpg. Not to close to the 16 or 17 mpg I was hoping for, but still better then the 11mpg I get with my GMC big block 454. And its very hard to resist that urge to put the pedal down a bit when it feels so good.
  • Options
    It looks like the mail server took out all of my spaces in the last post. I hope you can still get the drift. Sorry
  • Options
    Thanks. I have not got anything in the 15's or higher yet, but I have not had anything in the 12's either. I am usually around 13.5, so it looks like we will have to invade Saudia Arabia too.
  • Options
    we've filled up our LE 4 times. Two of the times I forgot to calculate. the other two times my average came out to 12.3mpg.......comparing my mileage to yours, my mileage sucks! So far its been all city driving....hopefully it will get better. I really need to put "the mothership" on the highway to see what i get then.
    Thanks once again.
  • Options
    Where is SLC?
  • Options
    isnt the EPA rating 13/18? sounds like you are doing fine for city driving. the big problem is that most people see the higher number and assume that they will get that number and ONLY that number.
  • Options
    I guess I was being a bit overzealous when i said my mileage sucked :O). I was only looking at the 13mpg as my goal because all of our driving thus far has been in the city and you're right, my 12.3mpg isn't that far off the mark.......I guess i just wanted to ATLEAST crack the magical 13mpg barrier :O)
    The highway estimate is 19mpg by the way.
    I just filled up this morning and my odometer reading was 828 miles...lets see how far i can get before the next pit stop! Oh and we've been typically filling up when the gas gauge gets to 1/4 of tank of gas remaining. Thanks for keeping me in check Bowke (hehehee)
  • Options
    you must have a 2WD then, right?
  • Options
    the mileage i'm getting, is that indicative of a 2WD?? Generally speaking, don't 4WD's normally get a little worst mpg than 2WD's?? (geeze i hope thats not the case for all my 4WD brothers and sister :O) )
  • Options
    EPA rating is 13 city, 19 hwy. the 4wd is rated at 13 city, 18 hwy.
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Options
    once again Bowke, thanks for showing me the light and keeping me in check (hheheehehehe)!!
  • Options
    fjfilipsfjfilips Member Posts: 3
    My wife & I would love to buy an Armada, but we can't find one that does not have a resonance problem. I have a few questions:
    1. Has anyone who had the problem actually get it fixed? I have only read about "partial" fixes from those that have had the roof bonded. I would love to hear someone say they have a 100% fix.
    2. Given the survey that was just done, only those without sunroofs reported a resonance problem. Are their sunroof owners who have the problem also?

We have only been looking at 4x2 SEs with cloth interior and no other options. We just looked at one yesterday built in February 04 with Continental tires (personally set at 35 psi) and it vibrated bad at 80 mph. Tonight we drove one with Goodyear tires made in November 03 (set at 35 psi) that vibrated at 45 mph. Within 15 minutes I had headaches in both vehicles, especially in the back seat.

We love everything about this truck, but the resonance is a deal killer. I am especially disappointed that the one made in 2/04 was as bad as any we have drove. My only option now is to try a sunroof model, or go look at the Trailblazer again....
  • Options
    chasmanz28chasmanz28 Member Posts: 109
    just wanted to keep you guys updated on my on going resonance issue with my dealership, like i stated earlier the TSB didn't work and i have more rattles than before and damaged trim pieces, but my service manager so far is trying to help find the reason so many of us are having this issue of ears popping and getting a headache when driving this beast, an engineer from nissan is flying down here on this coming friday to see whats going on, so when he gets down here ill let you know what he finds, and my LE has the sunroof and dvd player so it doesn't matter what features the armada has it still resonates. on a side note i just find it hard to believe that the engineers at nissan missed this issue of all the rattles and resonance when they where test driving this truck in the early stages of production, now its going to bite them in the [non-permissible content removed] for sure, and the word is out or at least in my area to stay away from buying the armada because of this very issue that alot of us are having, its sad because if i knew what i know now i would have never purchesd this vehicle
  • Options
    bullwagbullwag Member Posts: 10
    Do you mean you would not have bought this vehicle even if it didn't have the resonance issue? Is there anything else in the vehicle you do not like? I've driven three LE Armadas and have not experienced this resonance everyone is talking about. Maybe I'm missing something. What does it sound or feel like? Will it be heard from the driver seat or do you need to be in the backseat? Speaking of backseats, can anybody tell me for a family of four if the bucket seats are more comfortable? I'm having difficulty locating the vehicle I want with bucket seats. Are their any advantages having the bench over the buckets?
  • Options
    chasmanz28chasmanz28 Member Posts: 109
    if the armada didn't have this resonance issue i would love my ride, like i said the room inside, the drivetrain is unmatched by anything out there in my opinion, i bought this being my first nissan because of the reliably, but having these serious problem isn't making me feel good at this time, hop fully nissan makes it right. The resonance feels like the back window is open just a little on one side, thats the best way i could explain what it sounds and feels like, hence causing pressure build up inside the cabin causing our ears to pop, it doesn't matter where you sit inside you feel it, its just sad buying a 40k+ suv and having your family and friends go in for a ride trying to say they love the armada but deep down inside you know they feel sorry for me with all the problems im having even after this so called TSB fix
  • Options
    We love the back seat buckets and they are more comfortable than the bench. The center console in the back is also nice, but can be easily and completely removed making the car like a minivan. The only down side to buckets is your total seating is 7 instead of 8. I don't need 8 so I am very happy with the buckets.
  • Options
    rshershe Member Posts: 236
    The other thing to consider.. I can carry 5 and still have room for luggage. The space behind the 3rd row is adequate for a stroller or set of clubs only..
  • Options
    bullwagbullwag Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the explanation on the pulsating sound. We hear this in my wife's maxima when the back window is down alone. The noise stops when another window is open. Just because the vehicle does not have it when I first test drive it, hopefully it doesn't start. I read a post in here where someones did. Thanks for the seating responses. Good luck chaz with getting your PFA fixed. My wife and I both love the Aramada, we're going to continue searching for the one we want. Thanks again.
  • Options
    We opted for captain chairs in my LE. I have to be honest, we didn't even look at OR sit in the bench seat, so I can't really give an honest comparison. I think the captains chairs are VERY comfortable in the upright position and can recline for when a nap is in order:O)!!
    The wife and I just didn't want a bench for our second row seating. I also think that by having captains chairs, they give our 2nd row passengers (the few that we have had) a sense of "this is all MY space" rather than "sharing space" on a bench with someone. Keep in mind, we don't have a lot of people riding in our vehicle, so maxing out the individual seating space wasn't our top priority. My son sits in his car seat in one captain chair and once in a blue moon we MAY have one additional adult in the other. Once in a purple moon we may have 2 additional adults :O) Sooo, for the most part one captain chair and the third row go unoccupied. But, we do carry a lot of "stuff" with us and for those times, folding down the 3rd row is plenty. Get whichever seating configuration best suits your situation.
  • Options
    galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Just came back from Mammoth on a ski trip. It was quite a blizzard. Lots of accidents or turtles on the road. The Armada was quite sure footed in the snow. During the straight aways or going up hill I was easily going 55MPH on the pack. Probably the max speed that I would go considering the snow was pretty dry. If it was wet I would of gone much slower. Downhill also max speed is about 40mph.

The Vehicle Dynamic control came on once when my Armada on a intersection slipped. It was hilly and icy. It worked nicely.

As for the resonance issue. I don't have it per se. I know once in my travels into Sacramento when the freeway was chopped there was a slight resonance. Its something to do with pressure in the car if ears of drivers are popping. Since I live in higher altitude and the roads are pretty smooth and my Armada has a sunroof, Its not a problem. Good luck to all. Love my my Armada.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Just heard from Infiniti QX56 board that the resonance issue was not fixed on QX56 either. Same rattle and noise sound make it into QX56. I hope Nissan really gear up their effort to get it fix. Both are on my list for replacing my current vehicle. For now, I have to stand on the side line. My patience is wearing thin....
  • Options
    galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Just came back from Mammoth on a ski trip. It was quite a blizzard. Lots of accidents or turtles on the road. The Armada was quite sure footed in the snow. During the straight aways or going up hill I was easily going 55MPH on the pack. Probably the max speed that I would go considering the snow was pretty dry. If it was wet I would of gone much slower. Downhill also max speed is about 40mph.

The Vehicle Dynamic control came on once when my Armada on a intersection slipped. It was hilly and icy. It worked nicely.

As for the resonance issue. I don't have it per se. I know once in my travels into Sacramento when the freeway was chopped there was a slight resonance. Its something to do with pressure in the car if ears of drivers are popping. Since I live in higher altitude and the roads are pretty smooth and my Armada has a sunroof, Its not a problem. Good luck to all. Love my my Armada.
  • Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 5
    I just received a call from a nice woman at Nissan manufacturing asking about my experience with the Armada. I gave her my list of items that I saw as issues/deficiencies (yes, resonance was on my list). She stated that they are compiling responses now and will be contacting me again to follow up in a few months.

It's nice that they are at least calling... :)
  • Options
    rosie726rosie726 Member Posts: 40
    After experiencing the front end shaking when applying the brakes, we took our Armada back to the dealer and found out the rotors had to be "machined". We only have 3700 miles. Has anyone else had this problem?
        Also has anyone else got the factory mudflaps for the front? Ours was ordered with front and rear mudflaps, came through with back molded flaps and no front. After waiting for the mudflapds from the factory, the dealer installed what looks like pieces of plexiglass on the front. They don't look anything like the back.
  • Options
    mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    I'm in the initial process of evaluating the purchase of either an Armada or Sequoia. Section 179 is just too compelling to not take advantage of it to replace my 2002 Exploder, er Explorer.

I am having a very difficult time deciding which one to go with. My heart tells me the Armada, as I prefer its styling, engine, quad seating, and looks over the Sequoia, but my head tells me the reliability of the Sequoia.

I am especially concerned about the resonance issue with the Armada.

I realize this is the Armada board, but I would appreciate those of you who have gone through this same drill to give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Mike
  • Options
    rparnellrparnell Member Posts: 27
    I opted for the back seat bench on the LE - I have 3 kids aged 4, 1 and newborn, and wanted to be able to put the oldest boy back in the third row, and have either myself or my wife travel with the babies in the second row when needed. Sometimes it's just easier to do it that way than listen to the noise from the front seat...

I don't know how comfortable the second row chairs are, but I have found the bench really good. The outside seats recline, there is more legroom than I have ever had, cupholders are more than adequate, and I have temperature controls and audio controls there as well.

From a practical baby viewpoint, the seat of the bench is quite flat. It may not give as much support as the buckets, but it provides a really good platform for car seats.

So my vote would be that if you are going to be carrying kids (and their friends), go for the bench. If you are carrying adults, the chairs are probably better.
  • Options
    Hey Rosie, I've installed the factory mudflaps on my LE and from what you describe I think they are the same ones I have. You're right, they look nothing like the rear and comparing the two the fronts look pretty wimpy! I've decided to leave them on until I can find something "beefier" :O) Here are 3 links to photos of the front splash guards on my LE:
    imagehttp://www.pbase.com/image/25678084.jpg”">
    imagehttp://www.pbase.com/image/25678123.jpg”>
    imagehttp://www.pbase.com/image/25678192.jpg”>
  • Options
    mseenviro, maybe you should try and decide on the basis of function. How will you actually be using the SUV. We, also looked long and hard at the Sequoia. Do you have a trailer to pull? We needed the flat folding deck of the PFA for dog showing.
    From I've been reading on this forum, if you buy the PFA that you actually test drive, then you will know if it has the resonance issue. Food for thought.
  • Options
    tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    You know, I think I see a blade of grass or two clinging to that left front tire, you really ought to watch that..I thought you kept your rig clean! ::::::::::::::::::::::::::flee::::::::::::::::::::::::::: =o)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's still cleaner than the dishes that come out of my dish washer...

-juice
  • Options
    tstiktstik Member Posts: 9
    I have been lurking for a while and this is my first post.I am in the process of checking out the Armada to be our new family ride. I work in the aircraft feild and have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge.

I believe this is probably caused by that big strip of unformed (not bent or broke anywhere)sheetmetal in the middle of the roof. Metal is like paper, each time you add a brake (read bend) it gets stronger. Also each time you add a brake you in a way divide one peice into 2 shorter peices. Think of a 2x4, in an 8ft length you can hold one end and put your foot in the middle and bend it maybe even break it but if you cut it in half it is much harder to bend. If you look at most vehicles that have large peices of sheetmetal you will notice that they are never flat, they will have ribs or a radius or beads or louvers or something to stiffen it up.

If you notice that is a large peice of metal not to have any breaks in it. Each time you add a break or a stiffener to a peice of sheetmetal you will cut the resonant frequency of that peice in half privided the bracing is perfectly in the middle. Example, if the resonant frequency of a peice of metal is 80hz then by bracing in the middle you will cut the resonant frequency in half resulting in 2 halves each having a resonant frequency of 160hz ( half of 80hz is 160 hz, it doubles numberwise). But now you have 2 peices with the same resonant freguency, so instead of putting the bracing pefectly in the middle you offset it to one side and now you have a panel that is braced and the 2 sides have different resonant frequencies, meaning if they both had the same RF and started to vibrate they would reinforce each other and the vibration would be twice as stong but haveing different RF's because of offset bracing that will never happen and if tuned properly can even work to cancel each other out avoiding almost all vibration.

Anyway there may be a few things you can do to lessen the effects of this. This is happening at certain driving speeds chances are the airflow gets steady and and starts to apply pressure to the top of the cabin so now the air is pshing down and the sheetmetal pushes back ( or vice versa it could work the other way if the air is creating a vacuum on top) and this will create in effect an air pump but since the vehicle is closed off your creating negative and positive in the cabin at a steady rate (it is now cycling).

What needs to happen is to interrupt the airflow and not let it become steady, or to tune it to happen at a lower driving speed in which there would not be enough airflow to make it happen or tune it to happen above your normal driving speeds. Either way it will be out of normal operations.

Since I dont own one I need some volunteers. You guys that are having problems help each other out now.

1)The first and easiest thing that may help is to add the hood deflector this can easily upset the air enough to do it and could move the airstream around enough forward or backward or up and down to help out a good bit it could also make it worse if you can try one though just to see and take notes of the speed at which it happens changes or if it works perfect or does nothing.

2) Take a ratchet and remove the front rack, just the crossbar not the mounts. This should not hurt anything or leave anything exposed. Take notes

3)Same as above with the other crossbars but only one at a time then in combinations after that. Take notes.

4)Using either bungee cords (3 or more)or tie straps tie the front rack crossbar to the second making it fairly taut. This may absorb some of the energy. Take notes

5) Need a handyman for this one. Out of 1x2's (wood) make 2 cross bars to go from the front rack to the second rack. Make it tight enough to wedge itself in and in the end of the wooden crossbars drill a hole all the way through so once you have them wedged in you can use some string to tie them to the rack bar and not have to worry about sending a 70mph 1x2 at somebody. You dont have to drive like this forever just for a test. Take notes.

One of these should yeild some good info and it doesnt hurt to try and costs nothing. If I had one I would do it myself.

Sorry but I must put in a disclaimer, if you jack something up its your fault not mine. I dont need somebody suing me because they scratched their paint or cant tie a knot or something. This is all just my personal theory and as always I could be wrong.Sorry for the long wind.