Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hello i just got back from the vw dealership and the mazda dealerships to compare the 2003 gls golf vs the mazda 6.
    and i must say that the golf with a sticker price at 20,000.00 and includes auto, 4wheel anti-lock disk brakes, power sunroof, full size spare tire, better warranty, and the clincher as far as iam concerned is the 8 speaker monsoon cd-cassette which sounds terrific. anyone notice the rear speakers on the mazda 6 are very small. anyway i am the type of person who just loves value for the buck and the golf for what you get has to be the best features to price ratio out there. also, i checked into insurance for both cars and the golf was way cheaper to insure than the mazda 6.the only thing that has me concerned is vw reliabilty, and come to think of it, mazda reliability has me concerned as well. as my brothers 2002 protege has been problematic from the first day he bought it new.just my 2 cents here.
    iam a big fan of any reasonably priced auto that has anti-lock brakes as standard equipment regardless of which model you choose such as the 2003 accord, rsx, and all vw products. of course anti-lock brakes is cheaper to insure as well, i mean a car with antilock brakes. thanx steve
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I would be less concerned about the Mazda6's reliability over any VW product.

What do you value most? Driving fun, the interior, styling, performance (includes braking since you mentionned it), reliabilty???

If it was me, I would get a 6 b/c of how it drives, it's value and reliability with my 2001 Protege ES. I would not touch a VW product - yes they look great and I bet the Monsoon sounds good too, but I can't put up w/getting to know ALL of the dealership's staff on a first name basis.

Dinu
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The Protege is a pretty reliable car. Maybe he got a bad one. Just because somebody has a problem doesn't mean the next person who buys the same exact car is going to have a problem. I kinda think its funny whenever they talk about about Mazda on a Honda or a GM board they all think their cars are perfect and Mazda makes garbage. I know a guy who associates Mazda with Mitsubshi and Mazda's for being problematic and he wants a Mercedes or a BMW. I'm thinking Mazda is alot more reliable than BMW or Mercedes. People aren't eductated enough to do research on cars nowadays. They just think oh well Mazda is a 2nd tier brand just like Mitsu so they must make garbage. I just don't like it when people associate Mazda for making bad cars when they don't even do any research what so ever on a car. I'm sorry something just had to be said there.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    and i must say that the golf with a sticker price at 20,000.00 and includes auto, 4wheel anti-lock disk brakes, power sunroof, full size spare tire, better warranty, and the clincher as far as iam concerned is the 8 speaker monsoon cd-cassette which sounds terrific.

Clincher for what? VWs are awful cars.

anyway i am the type of person who just loves value for the buck and the golf for what you get has to be the best features to price ratio out there. also, i checked into insurance for both cars and the golf was way cheaper to insure than the mazda 6.the only thing that has me concerned is vw reliabilty, and come to think of it, mazda reliability has me concerned as well.

My family's owner a myriad of Mazdas and i just unloaded a VW and took a 2k loss on purpose just to get away from it. It was a 1.8T Jetta and it was a horrendous car. VW makes awful vehicles. VWs are poorly engineered, poorly assembled, service is super expensive and the tech rarely if ever fix anything correctly while service departments are awful. I can't say with enough vehemence how wretched VWs are.

Buy a VW and expect to spend time and money on weird repairs.

In my 2 years with a brand new VW I had it in for engine failure, several times for electrical problems, it was recalled for bad brakes, the window regulators had to get fixed, the AC stank and several interior trim pieces broke.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    yes i know but still vw cars are gooder
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    yes i know but still vw cars are gooder

Gooder? Not sure what that means. Regardless, VW quite often ranks near korean makes for reliability. They're not better cars than Mazdas. Not by a long, long, long shot. I don't own a Mazda currently, but I'll buy another one in a heartbeat. VW? Man it'd have to be amazing for me to put up with monthly trips for service again.
    You mean better I assume?

And IF this is what you're trying to say, tell us **HOW** VWs are "gooder" or compared to what are they "gooder"?

"Gooder" reliability, driving dynamics, driving fun, acceleration, braking, cornering, styling, interior fit and finish, pricing-wise, value-wise???

I'm curious. Maybe I don't know something you do. So please, enlighten us.

Dinu
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This is the wrong discussion.

We are talking about Prices Paid and Buying Experiences regarding the Mazda6 here.

The search tools on the left side of the page will help you find appropriate discussions to continut this conversation.
    Yes, back on topic :)

Dinu
  • I had my eyes on a yellow 6 with V6, manual, and the sport package. I test drove the 6, Accord Coupe V6 manual, Altima, and Maxima. Hated the Nissans. The 6 and Accord had what I was looking for, but due to 6's lower price was my first chose. Offered the dealer (Mazda in Austin Texas, both are owned by same dealership) 4% over invoice and 3K for trade in. First they offered to sell a version without sport package to my offer and only $1250 for my car, and when I insisted on the sport package they initially said MSRP. I rejected and they lower by $500. This went on two more time. After two hrs I was fed up so left. In my car, starting the engine, the sales guy runs out with someone trailing. The second guys acts like his inspecting my car (by the way all he did was look at the front) whisper something to saleguy. The saleguy said that was the manager and the final was $13,500 for car with $2600 for trade in. Its a great offer but I was sick of these guys and left. Next day went to Honda dealer who's right around the corner from the Mazda. Offered them 4% over invoice and $2600 for my car. The salesguy left return less than a minute and said I bought the car. No fuss even though this was the only V6 with M6 tranny they had. This was such a great experience they now have a customer for life.
    trying different dealers?

I got quotes $1000+ over MSRP for a Protege in 2001 and ended-up buying one at about $1500-1600 under MSRP - a great deal in Canada where there is less room to negotiate on a car at that price.

Moral of the story: I liked HOW the car drove so much and I was willing to go shop elsewhere - I ended up getting a better price than what I originally thought I could get and found a very decent dealer close to my house on top of that.

If you liked the M6 better and they FINALLY offered you a good price, you lost.

Dinu
  • I went to my second Mazda Dealer yesterday (Sunday) located in Tampa, Florida. The first Dealer I went to (alone at that time) was last Thursday in Lakeland. The Tampa Mazda Dealer my Wife and I went to yesterday, is one of a very large group of dealers (with the same "family" name) that sells about 15 different makes of vehicles. We actually purchased a new '03 MDX from their Acura Dealer (right next door to the Mazda Dealer) about 6 months ago. Granted yesterday (Sunday) was very busy, holiday weekend and end-of-month, but we were ignored for the 20 minutes we walked the lot and then another 20 minutes we were actually inside. The good thing is that we had a chance to see every vehicle in their lot, new and used, and when inside we "played" with the Mazda6i on the showroom floor, opening the trunk, doors, adjusting seats, etc. At least we got a real "feel" sitting in the vehicle and a chance to examine "fit-and-finish". But there were Managers and Sales staff just kinda hangin' around, VERY non-professional. The strange thing is that we actually had an "invitation" from their Web Sales person (who went home earlier that day), who gave us a great price quote (via e-mail) on a particular model we "located" via Mazda Web Site "locater" !! We finally had to walk INTO the Manager's office and ask if we could get some help !! About 15 minutes later we finally test drove the Mazda6s we went there to "see", but it lacked several key options we WANTED. We actually wanted the Dealer to sit down and WRITE UP a SALE for an '04 Mazda6, or at least "talk" to us about it and take some sort of deposit, but they were 100% focused on ridding their lot of all '03's and ONLY '03's !! I am currently looking for another Dealer in the Brandon/Valrico, Florida area, but believe it or not, Mazda Dealers around here are so scarce :-( !!
  • well.. I finally, after months of wavering back and forth on EVERYTHING. 6i?.. 6s?.. Steel grey?.. Redfire?.. TSX instead?.. then back to the 6 again, and on, and on..

FINALLY, I decide to take the plunge. I located a 6i AT Redfire with SAB/SAC and ABS w/traction, cloth seats, lip spoiler, and was going to settle for the manual seat.

ok.. this is it! After testing out the car, and waiting around an hour + on a busy night, it's 9:15pm and I had already worked with one of the internet sales team, who quoted me a price of $19, 430 (incl. doc fee) via email. This price I assumed was with the lip spoiler included.. it wasn't.

My invoice calculation with this car was $19,186, which figuring $100 labor on the lip spoiler that I included in this figure.

Turns out their quote of $19,430 DIDN'T include the spoiler. Now, the quote is $19,780.. about $600 over!

The sales mgr. wouldn't budge.
    I walked.
    Now, I'm wondering if I should've just taken the damn thing.
  • pd14pd14 Posts: 3
    Anyone hear of the new financing on the mazdas. I'm getting ready to buy and the current one expired yesterday. Didn't know if anyone had any advance knowlege?
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    what are the new incentives on 03 6s models without sport package?

i keep looking at Accords, but i wonder if i am forcing myself to like them. the 6 just feels better. but is it a huge mistake? is Mazda going the way of Daewoo and possibly Isuzu soon? will the car be worth anything later on? will that nice tight upscale feeling go by the wayside sooner than expected?

just have to hope that Mazda/Ford got their ducks in a row, quality wise, with this platform....at least the tranny is made by someone else, haha.
  • Mazda going the way of Daewoo and possibly Isuzu soon?

Ford's got deep pockets and Mazda's turning it around with cars like the 6, the halo RX8 and the upcoming segment killing Mada3.

will the car be worth anything later on?

How much later? If you're buying a new car worrying about residuals three years down the road, don't buy a new car. Buy a 3 year old used car thar's already absorbed a 40-50% drop in value. From 3 on the car's depreciation slows considerably. When you part ways with it in 2006-7 you'll find you maybe lost 20-25%.

will that nice tight upscale feeling go by the wayside sooner than expected?

It does on all cars.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Justin and blueguy, this is Prices Paid and Buying Experience. Your conversation would be better placed in one of the general topics on Mazdas. Thanks. :)
  • Your price quoted, was that MSRP minus the $3000 rebate, or was that the negotiated price, then you subtract the $3000?
    to be announced on 9/4, per MazdaUSA email.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    u got burnt. man, it really hurts.
    but maybe it was for the better.
  • Hey all, Just bought my new Mazda 6s on Sunday.
    Here's what I got and paid:

Mazda 6s V6 5mt
    Leather
    Sunroof
    Comfort
    Wheel Locks

$20,757.45 Out the Door.

Was originally going for the 0% financing, but the rebate with 3.75% offered at the dealership worked out to lower payments, and lower taxes.

Zoom-zoom
    what color?? congrats.
  • Congrats! Where do you live in NC? I'm seeing more and more 6's in the Triangle area.

CL
  • thanks for the empathy.

Life sucks, then you die. (sorry, feelin' a bit maudlin right about now).

Screw it.. maybe I'll just take the plunge and just get the TSX instead. Or hey, maybe they'll announce a new incentive plan, one where Mazda pays YOU interest.

either that or a $4000 rebate would be nice. lol.

congrats to new6owner, btw.
  • Yesterday I got a Mazda6s for $800 (after 1500 coupons) under the invoice, 0% APR. The car was located at a different dealer. Today, I get a call that the car has 500 miles on it, supposedly all from driving between the dealers. Note that the coupons and 0% APR expired yesterday, so if I decided for a different car, I'd loose those deals. I know that the dealer doesn't want to loose the deal, they already offered me some services for free.

Would you take the car or not? If you would, what would you ask for (further discount, extended warranty, accessories)?
  • Tough call. I would probably bargain them down some more, or look for some other extras before I would complete that deal. But that doesn't mean I'm right necessarily.

Essentially, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're paying 700 over invoice before coupons?/rebates? are deducted.. an average deal, I would say.

now, factor in the 500 miles, that amount becomes a little harder to swallow. As somebody once suggested, check the build date on the car on the side of the door. If it's fairly recent, then the dealer story about the miles maybe be legit.

Bottom line though: getting 1500 off, plus 0%?? THAT'S a good deal, regardless of what the car price was before those were applied.
  • m6sm6s Posts: 2
    Got my 2003 6S a week ago. Think I got a pretty good deal?

M6S V6 5 Speed automatic
    options: leather seat, moonroof, comfort package, value sport package (i.e. rear spoiler, side sill extensions, front & rear sport facia, sport type exhaust outlets)

before tax & fees: $19,000
    Out the door: $21,296

what do you think?
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    that is a super deal. too good.
    stay the same through 9/8.
  • Yes, incentives are through 9/8. 1500 off, 1000 loyalty cash, 250 rev it up (use mazda credit, then pay it off with someone else), $500 grad cash. Total discounts: 3250.

Take the car at invoice and tack those on and that's a scary sweet deal.