Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I think most of Prius success is due to not just mpg, but that its legitimately better for the environment. Driving a diesel might get you some extra miles to the gallon, but it wont win you any friends in the Sierra club. You cant even buy E320d in California, which is the Prius' biggest market.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Trying to not get to far off topic from the GS here, BUT Who is the hybrid buyer in the lux car market ? A current Diesel or hybrid buyer needs to keep the vehicle at least 60 months , just to brake even.

I guess the point is majority of true Diesel buyers want the vehicle to put 100k-200K + miles. I would submit that again the majority of upper level lux car buyers are typically a 36 month lease.

About a year or so ago I was in a local MB dealer that had a 1998 300d , asking price ? same as new! And there were 3 offers for the vehicle while I was standing there.

Does hybrid technology need to be explored ? absolutely! in a 65k vehicle does it make sense ? I guess we will see.

Regards,

DL
    The RX400h is going to be a monster hit for Lexus. As fast as the German 8s, with twice the mpg. In comparison, nobody seems to care about the diesel toureg, probably because its something like $65k.
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    Lexusguy,

Drove the 2006 M35 today, sweet.... How do you think the 2006 GS will compare?
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Can you provide a little more details on your test drive of the M35 ? Will help to hear your thoughts on this car.

As for the GS300, Edmunds has a "First Drive" thingy written up, but from the content it looks like they never even drove the car (yet). So not much to say about the GS.
    How much extra are you willing to pay for your RX400h ?

DL
    Hard to really say at this point. The acceleration, for one, will be different. M has a significant advantage in hp and torque, which leads to about a half tick faster 0-60 (if Lexus' 6.8 RWD\6.9 AWD projections are right). The M should be closer to the 5, a little stiffer, with better handling, while the GS is closer to E, more refined, more luxurious. The GS is also going to cost more by a few grand. Both of them should have the best sound systems in the class.

The GS300 uses Lexus' traditional VDC system so it wont have any of the advanced VDIM features (e-brakes, Lexus' version of active steering, etc.) So at least with the V6 versions, the M should definitely be the sportier of the two.
    Drove the M35 yesterday and was blown away by the understated luxury and lay out of the interior. The car is a rolling quality entertainment center, has everything but a pop-corn machine. DVD,MP3, 14 speaker Bose surround sound, 6 disc CD, super nav, back up camera. I could see spending my evenings in the garage in this car.

Really like the E class size. The car is a lot more attractive and classy than last year. I kind of prefer the GS front end look but that is a blonde/brunnette thing. Your right on the stiffer ride, certainly feel the road on the 18" standard wheels. Accleration was impressive, braking and handling super. The M45 would be a rocket that would put a permanent smile on your face.

Nit picking: only found two things..If your phone isn't blue tooth, then you will have wires to the cigar lighter in the ash tray. Not a 12V outlet in the console. Wish they offered 17" wheels as an option, 18" V rated tires are more performance orientated than I need.
  • "The car is a lot more attractive and classy than last year"

Really? You don't say!

DrFill
    Heh. The Gloria will never win any awards for great styling. Or even "marginally acceptable" styling.
  • Thanks for your opinion c148, nice review. I'd like to hear your comparison when you have a chance to drive the '06 GS.

What was the sticker price of the M you drove?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,081
    Folks, this isn't "general chat," and it's not a comparisons topic.

If you want to create a topic to discuss the merits of BMW v Infiniti v Mercedes v Lexus, go ahead on the News & Views board. We already have some luxury marque discussions on the Sedans board that would be appropriate for that conversation.

Last warning or this topic is dead.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

"What was the sticker price of the M you drove?"

The dealer had a blank sticker on the window, exact pricing had not come in yet. "TBD"
    Sorry Kristie, didn't see your note before the last post.
    Well then tell Edmunds' editors to get on that full test, with actual comments about how the car really handles.
  • There is the another road test 2006 GS review at msnbc under newsweek 'a smooth operator' heading. Sorry, I don't think I can post the link here. The text is a bit thin as are the first two reviews as above. Video is also included there showing different colors.
    Picked up a 2006 brochure this evening.Dealer states that they supposed to get 1 model in to drive in a week. Said the 300 should be about 45-50k. Also they have a few 2005 left for invoice or about 37k.

After looking the brochure over it really looks more like a mid-model restyling,not so much a complete redesign. The power train being the biggest change.

Also, the Toyota dealer thats attached had a new Avalon limited in, 38k plus 2k for added dealer profit. So you can get a 05 300 for 37k, an es330 for 33k or a toyota avalon for 40k..hmm

DL
    The GS's mid-cycle freshing, when it became 300 and 430 in 2001, looked EXACTLY the same as the old car. Only Lexus freaks could tell that the headlights had been tweaked a bit. So for the GS, its a major depature. If you feel the previous gen was good enough, dont buy a new 300 for 37. You can get a certified pre-owned and loaded 430 for less than that, and it will flat out wax the old 300 (and the new one as well). The Avalon might have the power, but both it and the ES just dont compete in terms of driving dynamics.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    How are you able to drive these cars? Are they out on the market yet?
    Personally I would not purchase a fwd car.I just think its funny that the toyota dealer thats next door to Lexus is asking such premium prices in addition to their scotch guard,mud flaps, ect, ect...

On that '05 300 ,I see the invoice is more like $35,100 and there is 1k cash to dealer now.So they werent offering me any favors.

DL
  • Hello dl7265

Back in Japan, Toyota is currently offering huge incentives to clear all Aristo sedan (the GS, you called them right?) to prepare for the launch of the new GS sedan and I am very surprised as to why your dealer haven’t offer any incentive for the may-be they haven’t receive orders from Japan yet. So I do suggest you should wait a couple of weeks, which hopefully by then, they receive the orders coming from Japan and start discounting them. Typically, they should offer discount from around 3.5 upwards to 5 million yen (approx 3500-5000 US dollars) for each car. Of course the amount of discount would varied from country to country, but I do suggest you to take a try and bargain at the discount range I just mentioned if you are seriously the older Aristo sedan.

However l would advice if you have the money available, you should buy the new GS (06) than the current model because if you have a chance to ride this sedan next week, you would know (from my own test drive back in Japan) there’s a good improvement in terms of it’s driving dynamics (ie handling, performance) than the older Aristro sedan, which is mainly contribute from it’s new chassis. Material quality around the car are the same as the typical luxury Toyota sedan and have a few toys (gadgets) you can play with around from time to time. Unfortunately, sometimes the seat itself does not fit you very comfortably especially if you have a very wide body size and rear visibility (like the old GS) is not as good as expected especially if you are very tall person. So exclude all these shortcomings in visibility, seat and it’s design, it’s a very good and balanced vehicle and if you demand “pure luxury” while at the same time you demand some performance characteristics in the car, then this would the car that would suit your needs.

Hope this will help with your purchase!

Ken
  • Sorry dl7265 ,I mistakenly translate wrong currency exchange rate. The actual discount price for the current Aristo sedan in Japan ranges from around 3.5 upwards to 5 "HUNDRED Thousand" yen (Not million), which is approx. 3500-5000 US dollars

I apologize any misunderstandings that have occurr

Ken
    Yep- Both are avaiable for driving, think they can start delivering them the last week of the month. Call your dealer, he will tell you what he has & what is coming in.
    Hi Ken, Thanks for your assistance and insight.I havent decided on a 300.It is on my short list.Unfortunatly there are only a few quality RWD sedans that im interested in.

The Dealer here has aprox 7 '05 300 left. The '06 demo supposed to be here in the week supposedly ,and cars on the ground "pre sold" in a few weeks.

Regards,

DL
  • I talked to dealers in Naperville, Il and Westmont, Il and learned the GS will be available for test drive at each locale within a week. McGrath Lexus in Westmont is doing a GS intro night next Weds. One salesman told me he drive the GS300 and loved it of course but was a bit disappointed that the GS430 would come in around $60K. Both dealers said you wont be able to get Mark Levinson on the 300 and have to go 430 if you want that.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Neither of us are ever going to "get it".

M
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Invited to GS introductions at two Lexus dealerships next week, each featuring hors d'oeuvres and refreshments.

Will buy from dealer with the best food.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Can't believe you can only get ML on 430. My guess is that you can get ML on 300, but only bundled with NAV.
    Yeah that sounds kind of wierd, considering the entry level ES330 has ML.
  • Re the ML on the GS300, perhaps in their initial production they arent going to offer it and will have as an option after a few months?