Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    Treat extended warranty as insurance that may help you to sleep better at night a few years down the road. Assuming a 25% dealer profit (inflation markup etc), on average you could expect to pay U$975 in parts and labour. The cost for some unfortunate people will be higher than this, and for others it will be lower, just to average out the numbers.

My 1999 TL (1st year of new model) has cost me C$775 in repairs that would have been covered by an extended warranty. These were 4 separate problems between 90K km and 115K km that accounted for the cost. There was only other problem, but it was during he standard warranty period. The car is 7 years old with 120K km.

My situation should not be considered as typical or average, but just one particular case. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    vrscvrsc Member Posts: 12
    Wow, If this is a true deal then you got a super deal. I have dealers here in Florida selling 2005 Tl for $500.00 over invoice and 2006 with $500.00 off MSRP
  • Options
    mgordon1mgordon1 Member Posts: 14
    ptwells
    I'll give you all of the details when I have it parked in my garage. I'm afraid to jinx the deal. Call me superstious.
    I might have more info tommorrow when my salesman returns to work.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Ok, good luck, I hope you get the deal. We shouldn't scare you unnecessarily. But what I don't understand is "tires for life." You mean if you keep the car for, say, 150,000 miles, and you get 30,000 miles on a set of tires, they're going to give you 5 sets of tires? Consider that tires for that car cost $200 (maybe a high figure), that's $800 a set, times 5 sets, that $4,000 in tires over the life of the car. That's hard to believe and, in my view, impossible. I don't believe it. What's the catch? Sorry to be so cynical, but... I've never heard of anything like that.
  • Options
    dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I've been following these Acura boards for some time picking up tips so I thought it was time for me to weigh in. I just ordered an '06 w/ nav, desert mist w/ parchment, for $1500 off MSRP and %15 off all installed accessories - I'm getting the rear wing spoiler, body side molding, splash guards, and trunk tray. My salesman said my car is due in the first week of Oct (Arizona). Thanks for all the info - I can't wait to get it!
  • Options
    philly_buyerphilly_buyer Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at the Acura TL for awhile in the Northern suburbs of Philadelphia. After test driving a couple of the automatic and manual drives at one of the dealers in August, they quoted me $31,700. I had them assess my trade-in value of my Maxima and they came in at $1500, which is lower than I wanted but not unexpected. I stated that I wanted $1500 more off the entire deal in order for me to buy the car now but the manager was not negotiating - I probably would have taken $1000 off. Instead, I walked out. :mad: I got a couple messages from the sales people (who I liked) but I never returned their calls.

Based on reading advice on this site, I requested quotes from other dealers in the area through the internet a few weeks later. This is what I got back including the destination charge:

Piazza Acura $30,979 :)
    Sussman Acura $30,535 :D
    Metro No Quote :confuse:

Since Sussman had the best quote, I took my Maxima to get the trade-in value. They also came in at $1500. I said I was very interested in the TL but I was expecting more (~$2000) from the trade-in. The manager said he would give me $2000 if it closed the deal and I agreed. The finance person tried to sell me the extras during the transaction but did not push when I said that I was not interested. Sussman is not flashy, but all business. Since time is scarce with me, I was happy with the no nonsense style.

Final Pricing:
    Price + Dest $30,535
    Trade-In -$2000
    Sales Tax $1712
    Fees/Other Tax $118
    Out the Door $30365

I am very happy with the car. Thanks for your help on this Forum. I felt obligated to post my experience to help others.
  • Options
    mgordon1mgordon1 Member Posts: 14
    Bartalk
    I agree. I'm kind of cynical too. On another post that i read he had the same deal.
    I can't remember the deal exactly but it went something like this:
    Had to have his oil changes done at the dealership, but the biggie was he had to have his tires aligned every 15,000 mi. Wasn't very cost effective for him. I have 157,000 on my car now and I have never needed to have the car aligned. Sounds like a racket to me and that is why I didn't ask for more info on the "tires for life".
    I just want them to sell me the car without all the gimmicks and games
  • Options
    rickvhrickvh Member Posts: 28
    I have one on order from Scottsdale Acura that is scheduled to be built Oct 25 and here Nov 12th. He quoted me in may for a 2005 @ 33,300 (nav) but when i went in to order about 10 days ago they didnt have '06 pricing yet. They seem to be pretty straight forward, so i'm hoping not to get raped pretty bad on wanting the '06. Hoping to get out the door for about 35,500 when its all said and done. Its a shame they only want to give me 3500 for my trade though. I figure if i shop a couple other dealers maybe I can push them a little in my direction.. At worst, i can test drive a few 2005 TL's in the process.
  • Options
    muminmumin Member Posts: 13
    I got offer for $33200 before all the taxes and fees from dealership around Chicago.(Acura TL2005 with Navi). With taxes and new plates applied price comes down to 36308. Would somebody be willing to comment on this. I'm a newbie and don't have a clue how to look at the pricing. It looks like I'll be paying $700 over invoice price. Is it worth to take a plunge? Fast responses we'll be appreciated.
  • Options
    jim48762jim48762 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys...just getting into pricing a 2005 TL. When you talk about the "invoice price," are you referring to the invoice that Edmunds posts or are there other ways to get more accurate numbers? Also, what do you think is a reasonable amount to pay over invoice ($200-$500)?
  • Options
    jim48762jim48762 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a site where I can locate the invoice price for a 2006 TL with Nav? Edmunds doesn't have that info yet.
  • Options
    You can figure the approximate invoice price yourself. Sticker prices have gone up about $225 from '05. Take the '05 invoice price and increase that by about 88-90% of $225 and that should give you the approximate amount.

My take on whether it pays to buy a leftover '05 or get an '06 is this. Since the price increase of the '06 is minimal, and since improvements have been made in the '06 such as an increased powertrain warranty to 70,000 miles/6 years, plus a tire pressure monitor, plus a one-year newer car, plus a car with probably fewer bugs as production goes forward, plus the fact that after a fairly short time you'll be able to get an '06 for not much more than an '05, it pays to get the '06, that is, if you afford to wait a month or two until prices settle. My guess is that the ultimate difference in price between the '05 and '06 will be $500 or so. To me it's worth it.
  • Options
    analyst7analyst7 Member Posts: 12
    I wavered between '05 and '06, but I just purchased and '05 non-navi blue/camel TL for $30,100, including destination,mud flaps and other incidentals. It basically came in a few hundred under invoice,excluding destination. I thought that was a very fair deal that incidentally, also appealed to my emotional side for a not-so-common color combo. I can take some of the savings vs. the 06 and buy a better set of tires, for example, than get the 06 which would have modest improvement for the additional cost, IMHO.

I also received very good trade-in value on my 04 TSX (great car, I just wanted to step up -I know it wasn't financially wise but what the heck). A good TL price coupled with good trade in value and boom, that was it.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone can get an 06 for a little over invoice. I figure I saved at least a few thousand vs. the 06. I believe I got a good price on a car with already great built-in value. I can monitor my own tire pressure, and because I bought the automatic, I don't worry as much about torque steer and its potential fix in 06.

The car is a great value for either year and no decision is a bad one regarding which year to go with. For me, I'm a very happy camper right now.
  • Options
    strbz70strbz70 Member Posts: 15
    Kelly Blue Book, kbb.com, is another source. Although they dont have the 06 yet. The invoice for an 05 non-nav in pgh is 30164 (dont know if that is std through the whole country).

As far as 05 vs 06 I disagree that the difference is only going to be $500. I just got a 05 last week at invoice and the 06s were on the way. Dealership said they will be holding MSRP on them. Buying an 05 will save at least a few thousand. Its probably going to be a while before you see any significant reductions on the 06s.
  • Options
    Great Deal as my wife and I looked at that same car combo and invoice was 30,800. Non of my local dealers were willing to do invoice or below and I just purchased a fully loaded Infiniti G35 for $800.00 under invoice and $800.00 of free stuff (tint, Full wood trim and wheel locks).
  • Options
    elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    $500 over invoice for '06 is great. Watch for crazy doc fees and such, I would say. Even with, probably a great deal. You can add $225 to '05 invoice for '06 invoice price and not be too far off and remove the nebulous factor of pending invoice stuff? I personally would put down a deposit if you could get base price as mentioned and fees/taxes/... in writing; that would force them to honor the deal. Good luck; we'll be waiting for the finale.

I was tentatively offered $1000 off MSRP (translated = about $2000 over invoice) for an '06 but have not pursued the pricing in more detail yet and hope to do better. My email quotes earlier this month were $1000 over invoice still (TX/LA) so an extra $1000 for a '06 would probably be "not the best deal but not the worst (i.e. MSRP)".
  • Options
    analyst7analyst7 Member Posts: 12
    You got a great deal on the G35, the other car in my consideration set besides the TL. It was a very tough decision - I liked the rear-wheel drive of the G but the TL's interior, stock sound system, bluetooth and somewhat better gas mileage swayed me. Both cars look really good in their own distinctive way. My local Infiniti dealer was offering the 05's for a little over 28.7M for a base automatic w/sunroof. Sounds like you did better than that with your thrown in extras, so congrats. These are both great cars.

The Bluetooth turns out to be really nice if you have a Bluetooth phone, which I do. The car basically serves as your phone, piping sound through the sound system, and even has a voice recognition system so you can voice dial stored names or new numbers on the fly. Your actual cell phone just has to be in the car somewhere, in closed position.

Sorry for the digression. Enjoy your car for many years.

Analyst7
  • Options
    teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    Its probably going to be a while before you see any significant reductions on the 06s.

That statement will be true for the majority of the Acura dealerships, but not all.

I have just placed an order for a 2006 TL/with Nav, with the following MSRP:
    $35325 2006 TL/with Nav Nighthawk Pearl/Camel
    $ 615 destination
    $ 600 Remote Start
    $ 519 Wood-Grained/Leather Steering Wheel
    $ 100 Wood-Grained Rear Console
    $ 50 Wood-Grained Front Console Trim
    $ 259 Acura Car Cover/with Lock
    $ 75 Gold Emblem Package
    $ 89 Splash Guards
    ----------
    $37,632 Total MSRP
    $34,970 My Price
    $ 2,662 Savings

Everything is written on Dealer paper with my $500 Deposit.

Dealer does not want name to be mentioned, fear of neighboring dealers matching and undercutting sales. Sorry. The dealer is in the Chicago/Suburban area.

Tee
  • Options
    teereeves:

I wonder if that dealer would have given you that kind of a discount if you had just ordered the car without the options.

By the way, how soon did the dealer say you could expect delivery?

Good luck.
  • Options
    vrooommmvrooommm Member Posts: 10
    This is one sweet ride!

I just picked mine up this morning.

32.7k with navi
    Great experience at the dealer in Madison, WI
    Traded in a '03 Honda Pilot
    I'm just giddy
  • Options
    racmanracman Member Posts: 3
    On August 27th I purchased a 2005 TL/Nav in the San Jose, CA area for $32,355 plus T&L. Love the car and was very happy with the buying experience. The lowest quote I could get anywhere else in my area was $33,300 and that was from several other dealerships including COSTCO buying service and AAA buying service. To save almost $1,000 I had to drive an extra 80 miles which works out to $12.50 a mile. :)
  • Options
    Congrats, any news about delivery date?
  • Options
    Bartalk3, they said around the 2nd week of October.

Tee
  • Options
    Mumin, they said around the 2nd week of October.

Tee
  • Options
    kaiser070kaiser070 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a deal on '05 TL but the dealer is out of state, it's gonna be my 1st car so no insurance yet and the irony I don't have one yet so I am shopping around for auto insurance but no deal yet. Anyone have a clue how much cost an insurance for the '05 TL in MI or nation wide? So far I've got $2000 quote?which is the cheapest insurance company in MI? Many thanks to all of you.
  • Options
    Thanks Tee
  • Options
    cloclo Member Posts: 1
    Hello All...Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I been talking to a Texas dealer and have received a price quote of $35,500 (TTL not included) on a 2005 TL, 6MAL, Blk/Blk with NAV that includes the following:
    (front, rear, and side underbody spoiler; deck lid, tint, all season mats) and wheelsTIRES for life as long as I do my maintance checks at the dealership

What does the group think about this price? Can I do better?
  • Options
    I wonder if that dealer would have given you that kind of a discount if you had just ordered the car without the options.

Bartalk3, here are other Acura dealership quotes from 3 other dealers for my 2006 Acura TL configuration:

$ 37000 ==> save $632
    $ 36137 ==> save $1495
    $ 36023 ==> save $1609

Tee
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    A 2005 for $35,500 without TT&L?! Yeah, you can definitely do better. Remember, people are easily getting $32,500 for this year end car. So you are essentially paying $3000 for the side bling panels which is too much IMO.

Have you priced at several dealerships? Read thru the last few weeks of this forum and you will get a better idea of what to pay...

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the car hunting!
  • Options
    erikwerikw Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Are the prices for assessories fixed or negotiable? If fixed, I plan to negotiate a vanilla TL and then add on the assessories. If not, any idea how much wiggle room they have? Are there packages of assessories that reduce the price?

BTW - I was thinking of adding the NAV and:
    All-Season Floor Mats $132.00
    Trunk Tray $99.00
    Engine Block Heater $59.00
    (Installation costs not included)
    Selected Exterior Accessories
    Body Side Molding $175.00
    Back-up Sensor $399.00
    Door Edge Trim $75.00
    Wheel Locks $49.00
    Back-Up Sensor Attachment $232.00

Thanks,
    Erik
  • Options
    bpalmerbpalmer Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 06 TL will have the updated Navi system. As you all know the TSX has the enhanced Navi would it make scence to assume that the more expensive TL would also have it! Because if not the TSX is the smarter buy techology wise. :blush:
  • Options
    erikwerikw Member Posts: 2
    Not sure, but here is a reasonable resource on the 06 TL:
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011

Cheers,
    Erik
  • Options
    stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    Get in touch with Vandergriff Acura in Arlington or email Superior Acura in Overland Park, Ks. (Kansas City). Should be able (if they still have one) get into a 05 TL, 6M, Nav for $32,500 -$32,650.00 easy...... ;)

Worth a flight to KC, buy the car and break it in driving back to TEXAS. The XM and DVD-A is worth the time and trip. :P
    Good Luck Clo...........I love my 05 :)

Stickyman
  • Options
    elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    teereeves, "2006 Acura TL" #664, 22 Sep 2005 1:24 pm

This is (if I copied it right) the link to Tee's post about this same subject in the "2006 Acura TL" forum and subsequent replies (post number 664). It looks like your assumption (a logical one) is wrong as far as I can tell. :confuse: :cry:

Tee, did you verify this with your dealer or are they playing the "we won't know until it actually gets here" reply?
  • Options
    ppotterppotter Member Posts: 4
    Thought I'd let you guys know that my new 05 TL (anthracite/quartz) arrived today after being shipped by FedEx from Acura of Orange Park. Looks and drives great, but I need to read the owners manual to figure out how to use everything. Is the adjustment for the steering wheel poisition obvious, 'cos I couldn't see it at first glance
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Very easy to adjust your steering wheel. Right underneath the steering column.
  • Options
    Tee, did you verify this with your dealer or are they playing the "we won't know until it actually gets here" reply?

elvis4prez, I didn't get this information from the dealer, they don't know anything. I got the information from Honda News website, the press release for each car tell what the changes are for 2006.

Tee
  • Options
    archaicrelicarchaicrelic Member Posts: 8
    Hi Tee,

Is te Remote Start option that you ordered an aftermarket accessory?
  • Options
    schwabbie1schwabbie1 Member Posts: 4
    hey ppotter, i was dealing with them over the net also. do you mind re-telling what you paid (navi/non-navi, plus fees only) (don't include tax, accessories, shipping,etc). They are telling me the best they can do for a 05 tl navi/manual is about 32900 (which includes about a $500 doc fee (welcome to florida), but if i remember right you got a pretty good deal. thanks
  • Options
    archaicrelic, yes it is an aftermarket. I do not know the brand. The dealer will have a third party installer install it and it will be warranted by the dealer. My car is due to arrive the 2nd week of October.

Tee
  • Options
    latlbuyerlatlbuyer Member Posts: 1
    glad to find this forum today...later went out and purchased a tl (no nav-anthracite/quartz).
    Only option i wanted was side moldings...and after finding out yesterday that they had two cars ( under 5 miles on each) in stock buried on a back lot...i went in today...last day of month/quarter. this car had wheel locks/mud guards and they came in @ 32900 and i crossed out the locks/guards...said i didn't want 'em...and offered 30250 + 200 for the moldings...they came back @ about 30800 and i said thanks but i'll wait till the 2006's are out...saying i realized that i probably would pay more than this second offer...and was ready to walk but was invited to meet the sales manager on my way out...who said..."hey...it's the end of the month...you got a deal." (which included the wheel locks/mud gurard). this was at valencia acura...real pleased with the salesman and the experience...took about 20 minutes to "do the deal." from start to finish....thanks for the info on this site...car is in the garage.
  • Options
    latlbuyer,

Congrats! Sounds like you got a great deal. I personally love the anthracite color.

Enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    strbz70strbz70 Member Posts: 15
    Congrats sounds like a good deal. I got one last wk Redondo red/parchment and paid 31,000 with wh locks, trunk mat, splash guards. I know I was right around invoice so you probabaly got yours just under.

It pays to walk. I walked out of the dealership 4 times in five days before I got the deal I wanted. And thanks to this site I saved $500. Originally my plan was to get a $500 over deal, but after reading this MB I realized I could get invoice.
  • Options
    mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Outstanding....now that's how's it's done....
    Rock On!
  • Options
    spiritnmtlwrldspiritnmtlwrld Member Posts: 3
    Want to thank all of you all for your posts - it has been really educational. It seems the one dealership we have here in Baton Rouge does not want to deal. The only other dealership was in New Orleans and they won't answer any e-mails. Here is what Baton Rouge said: 9/2 they wanted $32,400 for some of their TL's without Nav, and offered $14,500 for my 2003 Avalanche with 68,000 miles. Of course the color I liked the best they attempted to bs me and claim it one cost $300 more, and they also stated that they had no choice in including the trunk mat, flaps and some other nonsense, which I am also sure was bs. They claimed it was not an adder to the price. I could only get them down to $32, but because their offer was so bad on the trade in, I left. Sent them an e-mail after reading here on the board, offering $31,400 with a trade in of $15,000 and they told me to come in - "let's do business". After making me wait an hour, they come out and offer $14,000 for the trade, and said that since their inventory was dwindling, they were not dealing as much. They expect to get the 2006 TL's in around mid Oct . They REFUSED to tell me what they had coming in for 2005 models and would not give me a price. I explained how difficult it will be to find a buyer for my vehicle, (I can get $17 or $18k) let alone try to haggle over price AFTER I get my buyer, not mention I'd be at a great disadvantage in choice and price. Furthermore, they stated the 2006's would be going for AT LEAST MSRP. This has completely disgusted me how greedy they can be, but I don;t know how else to do get one at a fair price. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. I really want to get the tax savings by trading one in. lsutiger@mindspring.com
  • Options
    jason82jason82 Member Posts: 24
    I own a TL without Nav but I regret not getting the Nav and so now I am considering buying a handheld portable one I reserached some and found the new Magellan Roadmate 800 (which will be out in a couple of weeks) it's a step above the magellan 760 anyways I think it's the best one out there...does anyone have any idea if it will be comparable to the Nav that's in the TL? could it be better? Is it definitely worse? some thoughts? thanks
    here's a link to the new magellan
    thanks please let me know your thoughts and opinions
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/magellans-roadmate-800-revealed-128439.php
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    jason82.. this is a pricing discussion.. You might get more responses by posting your questions in this discussion

Acura TL Owners: Navigation System/Hints & Experiences

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Have you tried searching in a wider area? Not sure if you have done so already but that is something you may want to try...if you have a trade then all you would have to do is drive your trade there and pick up your new one...the only problem I see is getting what you want for your trade...when I did my deal I drove 150 miles away from my home to get it...everything was arranged on the phone and internet...I was honest and up front with them on my trade and the condition of it and they gave me a price (which was fair) and then a fair price for the new one and the deal was done...I'm not sure if you have the option of going that route but I know it is better to deal with multiple dealers than just one...and if you only have one dealer in your area then that is even worse.....How about go to the Acura website and do a search for dealers in a certain amount of miles away from your home...let's say 200 miles....send out emails and just see what happens....you might be surprised!
    For me...I had two dealers in my town but ended up going 150 miles away and saved $1300 bucks! It turned out to be a nice weekend drive for the entire family...
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Options
    I agree with mldj98, definitely look elsewhere for better prices. You can then bounce them off the local dealership with a "take it or I buy somewhere else" ultimatum.

When negotiating, be sure you know the expected trade-in value for the car. If you haven't already, go to Kelly Blue Book website to calculate it. I don't know about others, but I have found it hard to get above KBB trade-in prices for cars (the only area of negotiation is the "condition"). I'd welcome other's stories...

You can certainly get much better prices for the car somewhere else, and would still save money even if you had to have it shipped to you. The trade-in makes it more difficult and if you could sell the car privately, it may make the out of state purchase more easy...

Good luck!
  • Options
    Maybe take a ride down here to FL because most dealers are offering $500.00 over invoice.