Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    goldenboygoldenboy Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 05 TL w/o Nav in Arthricite/Ebony from Acura of Boston. There was some haggling involved but this is something I could live with. I paid 30,700 including dest charge and protection pkg. Sales tax of $1300, Doc fees of $197 and title transfer of $65 were extra. They gave me a decent price ($400 over KBB value for my car in 'GOOD' condition) on my trade-in so I'm pretty happy. Especially since my car was closer to fair condition.
    Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their buying experiences so I had a better idea of what to expect. Especially to Laurasdada.
    Can't wait to pick up my new car. (Don't know exactly when that'll be yet since I got my financing from Eloan and the dealership won't release the car until the check clears. Oh well, can't be more than a week.
  • Options
    elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    Nick (nfurlow)
    I'll share whatever info you want. Send private email; I don't have yours available (listed private).
  • Options
    jinvajinva Member Posts: 41
    My previous post was misleading. First of all, it was based on the purchase of a vehicle (Honda) in the last couple of months, not my currect TL quest. It did turn out that the dealer that gave me a good price by e-mail was the one that we purchased from. The two others were not very forthcoming in e-mail and, when we went in to try to deal, they were not at all price competitive.

While it was necessary for us to visit each dealer to confirm that, in fact, the their e-mail responses gave a good indication of how they would be to deal with.

So, our experience really confirms what you said. Some dealers are reluctant to deal by e-mail and, if they are, they will probably be the kind that use the old sales tactics. I hestitate to say that any dealer not forthcoming in an e-mail response should be disregarded, but I would tend to think that.

I totally agree with rewarding sales reps who are straightforward, knowledgeable & pleasant to deal with. Once we knew we were dealing with someone like that and had a reasonable price, we readily agreed to the deal.
  • Options
    jsa23jsa23 Member Posts: 13
    Has anybody else in the socal area been getting any good deals for the 05 or 06 TL's? I'm still shopping around and have been getting a bit of the runaround because I'm primarily dealing over the net and not in person...Wanted to see if anyone has gotten any descent deals as of late...Thanks...
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Congrats, GB. Great price, great car! You did better on trade than I, but I was trading a Chrysler. No regrets here, although I do still miss my 300M a bit... However, the 2.9% financing I have through AHFC helps a bit!

Happy Motoring!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    bluelineblueline Member Posts: 14
    Just curious why you advise me to stay away from Acura of South Florida. I noticed from your earlier post that you bought your car there. What gives??? Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    My earlier post in regards to my buying experience at Acura SF clearly states why I would not recommend the dealership.
    Yes, I bought the car there ONLY because of price. As far as being a customer at a dealership of the luxury division of Honda is concerned, they were very unprofessional, engaged in deceptive business practices, did not abide by their original terms, and fed me alot of lies about things and when confronted- they "simply did not care" because they said "you got a good deal didn't you?"
    Sorry, but I would have rather spent a few hundred dollars more at the next dealership and be treated fairly as opposed to the way they treated me. Unfortunately, as you are probably already aware, dealers in Florida are pretty stingy when it comes to dealing on these cars.
    On a lighter note, I strongly recommend Acura of Orange Park and/or Gettel Acura as alternatives i.e. if you are willing to drive there.
    Hope this clarifies my statement. ;)
  • Options
    Blue,

Also, do a search for my posts because you might have read my FIRST post in regards to the dealerhsip and not the follow up one's. That might be the source of the confusion :confuse:
  • Options
    bluelineblueline Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the help. I have been emailing dealers in the area to get an idea what kind of #'s their willing to work with. Incidently, the Internet Manager of South Florida Acura called me back and quoted me Invoice price for a 2005 TL Automatic with Navi. He offered me $1500 under MSRP for a 2006, but said he would be able to do better at the end of the month after Thanksgiving. I told him I was interested in a 2006 so maybe I would talk to him then. Anyway, thanks for the insights and I will take a look a the two dealerships you mentioned.
    Blue
  • Options
    No problem. Invoice for an 05 TL in the specific color combo you are looking at is good. In my deal, they actually went about 400 under invoice. Maybe you can get this at the end of the month (assuming your car is still there and you want the 05) ? Also, try to get them to throw in some extras like the protection package ;)
  • Options
    Make sure you are aware of the $500 "marketing support" that Acura is giving to dealers on remaining 05s.
    They probably will not tell you about it.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    If you have not already, I would contact the dealer that lilhyo talked to and ask for the same offer. What is the best deal that you have so far, and have you considered a dealer a little farther away(PA, DE, NJ, or OH)?
  • Options
    reelfun1reelfun1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in contact with Acura of Orange Park. Just curious....what did they give you for a price?

Thanks
  • Options
    When I was shopping back in April of this year, the price they quoted me was $32,500 (which included destination) plus tax, tag and the Florida Lemon Law/Tire Battery Disposal (I think it was like $8.50) and no dealer fee. There was no marketing support at the time as there is now, and I believe that was an invoice price they gave me. Are you shopping for an 05? Interested in how they are dealing these days...
  • Options
    tlgaltlgal Member Posts: 22
    You mentioned the protection package, what is that? Is it something that's standard across the country? I'm a couple weeks away from buying my TL in Northern California and would appreciate any insight you (and others) could share.

Another dumb question, people have mentioned TTL-I'm guessing "total, tax and license", is this correct? :confuse:

Thanks!
  • Options
    goldenboygoldenboy Member Posts: 5
    Hi Laurasdada,

I was just about to finance with Eloan at 5.65% but I applied for financing at Honda after reading your post and actually got 5.44% And going with Honda instead of Eloan means I don't have to wait until the financing check from Eloan clears before picking up the car. I'm picking it up on Sat. Can't wait!!

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I am looking at Acura TL and I want a new 2006 or 2005 I want one sticker I believe it was $33,690 sticker price.

How much can I bargin to get off sticker on Acura's? I refuse to pay sticker price for anything considering I am paying cash and I don't give a hoot about APR's.

Would the dealer be will to go $30,000 even for the car?
  • Options
    In Florida, what dealers are calling the "Protection Package" is: Splash guards (Front & Rear), All-Weather Floor Mats, and Trunk Tray and in some instances wheel locks. The Pro-Package might be different in other areas of the US as some others have previously noted.
    My understanding of what "TTL" means is tax, tag and (state) licensing fees, but I could be wrong. :confuse:
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You should look at OTD (out the door) pricing instead. The true bottom line.
  • Options
    commishcommish Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my 2006 TL w/Navi last Saturday. The color is Alabaster Silver with Ebony interior. I negotiated the entire deal through emails with the Internet Manager from Norm Reeves Acura, Temecula. My sale price was $33,375 (including splash guards, body side moldings, trunk tray, and wheel locks; a $418 value). Added CA Sales tax of 7.75% (2590.05) and dmv and lic fees of 333.75 brings the out the door price to $36,010.05. I even got him to throw in a free detail and 3 free oil changes. This guy was truly the best car salesman I have ever worked with. He constantly made sure that I was happy and there was absolutely no pressure tactics once I got into the dealership. This was truly a first-class car buying experience. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the guys in Carlsbad, who are still operating like used car salesmen.
  • Options
    onslowonslow Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestions Eddie. After about a week of haggling with several dealers, I believe I got the dealer to capitulate and offer me the same deal that lilhyo got. A family concern is pushing me away from the area for the next couple weeks but I'm hoping the deal will still be there when I come back.

For those that don't want to scroll back, the deal is 35,000 OTD price in Virginia with free oil changes, state inspections, and wheel locks thrown in.
  • Options
    reelfun1reelfun1 Member Posts: 4
    I live near there and test drove a 2006 today. Very impressive. I'll let you know if I get a price on a 2005 or 2006.
  • Options
    I completely agree with you. ;)
  • Options
    spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    i used the internet and ended up paying $33,400 in arizona for white with navi and wheel locks and tinting. It was all pretty easy and probably could have pushed for an even better deal and had them include the side moldings, which i am paying for... but process was easy and i haven't even walked into the dealership yet -- pick it up tomorrow...
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    TTL = Tax, Title, and License
  • Options
    jon21jon21 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my 2006 TL w/navigation Black with ebony from santa monica acura.
    Price $32790.00 including destination,mudguards and wheel locks.
    Very easy transaction emailed back and forth a few times very responsive.
    Drove down to the dealer this after noon in and out in 2 hours.
    Highly recommend this dealer I was skeptical at first if they were really going to give me that price becouse all the other dealers said they would not do the deal but they did.
  • Options
    OTD pricing is okay if everyone pays the same TTL.
    It differs in each state, however.
    It's easiest to understand Car+TTL+?doc/other broken down.
  • Options
    32790 for 06 TL w/nav is below invoice. :surprise: :)
    Plus included mudguards and wheel locks?
    How, exactly did you get that?
    Are you sure it wasn't an 05?? :blush:
  • Options
    shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    Six months ago I bought a new automobile. While I was parked at a local grocery store two cars were in a wreck on the highway next to the parking lot. The truck flipped onto the back of my SUV. The insurance company and the body shop have both told me it will be just like new. I am concerned that it will never be the same. I am also concerned about the safety of driving a previously and severely damage auto not to mention that it is only six monts old. I am strongly considering trading it in and buying an Acura TL. I am just worried about the amount I will lose on the deal by trading in a six month old Vehicle. At this point KBB says it is worth $23,000. I owe $12,000. I dont't know how much it will be depreciated because of the wreck. Can anyone give me any suggestions? :cry:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,352
    I'm sorry to hear that your new car was damaged...

You are probably correct in assuming that you will take a large loss, if you try to trade in a six-month old car.. especially one that is has just had a lot of body work..

If it were me, I'd just keep driving it.. Generally, a car isn't going to be any less "safe", if the body work is properly done..

I'm not sure of the insurance laws of your state, but since another party is at fault, you may be able to pursue a "diminished value" claim, that would help you recoup more than just the repair cost.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know I just purchased a 2006 TL with navigation mudguards wheel locks and destination from Santa Monica acura $32,700.00 plus tax and lic so the total came to be $35757.21 I was thinking about financing it but had to wait till the 24th for the 4.90% special they were going to be running.
    The transaction was fast and the internet managers were great to deal with very fast replys and pricing that was about 500.00 better than the others.
    Highly recommend this dealer.
    Thanks for the help in this forum
  • Options
    I know they said business was slow ad inventory was hi.
    I just got lucky I guess and yes it's a 2006
  • Options
    shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the advice. I will wait and see what it looks like and drives like and then I will keep it until I pay it off in July and then I will make a final decision.
  • Options
    dgoad1dgoad1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on final negotiations tomorrow morning to get an 06 TL w/Navi, anthracite/parchment. (St. Louis, MO area)

So far the internet sales guy has opened with an offer of $33,772 + $615 destimnation +$117 dealer processing or a total of $34,504. Doesn't sound that great compared to others.

Think I will press for $33,000 even & see if I can get it.

Wish me luck
  • Options
    So what you're really getting offered is $35K plus TTL. Just to keep it in perspective....

That's an average price. Good would be $34K, and great would be at or below $33,500 IMO...

Good luck!
  • Options
    bothflybothfly Member Posts: 10
    Hello, all I'm new here and I'm wanting to get some info on a used 2004 TL A Spec. The Dealer has a sweet one with low miles, but is asking 32.9K for the darn thing. I can get a new 06 w/Nav for 500 over invoice which is like 32.7k. The a spec is very nice, but is it worth it? I mean it just about a 2 year old car now for more than a 06. KKB does give it high value.
  • Options
    To me, its a no-brainer. No way! But for you, I suggest you look up the car's current retail value on KBB or some other site. It sure seems high priced just for some fancy panels...I'd go for a similarly priced new car without the A-spec.
  • Options
    stevebaltomdstevebaltomd Member Posts: 8
    I priced several dealers in the Balto-Wash area for 2006 TL/w Navi and found my best price of $33,170 ( incld dest charge) with wheel locks/door edge guards thrown in to close the deal plus tax/tags. My orginal asking price was $33,000. The added accessories essentially brought it down to $33K but they all tack on a $99 tag/processing fee. The dealers were not willing to deal much more than $300-500 above invoice. The pricing was comparable to 2005 end of the year deals I got a few months ago. Remember the extended warranties are also negotiable. I knocked off $250. Hope this gives you all a better idea of the market for now. Good luck.
  • Options
    rogeaglerogeagle Member Posts: 1
    Could you identify the dealership at which you purchased the car for $33,170 with destination charge. I would like to buy one for that price.
  • Options
    astrawberryastrawberry Member Posts: 5
    Did you use a vehicle buying service to get that price or your own negotiations?
  • Options
    easttleasttl Member Posts: 17
    I thought I would take some time and contribute back to this forum, for it has help me very much with buying a new 2006 TL with Navi and mud guards. I learned a couple of things during my buying experience that my help you get a good deal. I was able to purchase a 2006 TL with Navi and mudguards for 33,095 including the destination fee. The only additional fees were the TTL and 50 dollar doc fee.

One trick is to only deal with the Internet sales managers and only communicate with them via email. This forces the dealer to give you a written offer that you can very easily forward on to other dealers to beat. I know everyone out there is going to want to know who gave me this price so here is a list of the dealers that I was negotiating with and a quick run down.

Joe Rizza – an initial offer of 33,295 including the destination via a return email from the Acura web site (Best initial offer)

Ed Napleton – Beat Rizza’s price by 200 dollars, but I personally had a falling out with this dealer and I do not recommend them. Very shady they tried to add 100 dollars towards the end of a deal, I walked out!!!

Continental Acura – Matched Ed Napleton’s price and included mudguards 33,095. They were very nice and professional also straight forward, although not happy about letting one go with “all the meat off the bone”

McGraff Acura – Also would match the price of 33, 295 in writing.

Joe Rizza - would sell me the car for 33,015 on a 2nd offer but they were in a higher sales tax area and overall it was not the best deal for me. I ended up purchasing the vehicle from the dealer that was closest to my house and in a lower sales tax bracket. But I do recommend them.

So the bottom line is that dealers in the Chicago area are very competitive and will barging the price if you have the time and patience. Overall, I spent about three days corresponding via emails only and two days actually dealing in person. Good luck!!!

One last note buy the accessories later, Many Acura parts counter will match Internet prices or about 20% off. I was able to get the wing spoiler, body side molding, all weather mats, and a truck tray all 20% off. Just install them yourself and save!!!
  • Options
    tlluvrtlluvr Member Posts: 2
    In the last week, I purchased a new 2005 TL, Redondo Red w/Camel interior, NO Navigation, Protection Pkg, Body Side moldings, All Season Mats, Burlwood Gear Knob, Rear Wing, and TTL for $32,800 out the door. Doing some backwards math, I figure I saved nearly $3800 dollars off the MSRP.

In addition the dealer sold me the zero deductible 6 year/120 mile extended warranty for $1300. This saved me another $310. In case you don't know this, the extended warranties can be purchased with 10% down and up to 12 interest free monthly payments for the remaining balance. The monthly payments must be placed on a credit card. Still you are not having to write a check immediately and you get to use Honda Financial's money for a year.

I did all my negotiation via internet sales manager and phone prior to finalizing the deal and reviewing the car at the dealership. No games or hidden costs. Great dealer in Metro Detroit area. He has about 10 remaining 05 TLs and is willing to seek out others for trade at nearby dealers in the tri state area.

Any comments or questions are welcome.
    :D
  • Options
    podrespodres Member Posts: 58
    Comments: great price, great color combo, great car. Enjoy it. Thanks for posting your experience.
  • Options
    mllyettmllyett Member Posts: 4
    easttl, thank you very much for sharing your experience.

I am in Chicago also shopping around for a 06 TL with nav. I agree with you about STAYING AWAY from Napleton. They are very shady and intimidating in negotiating so I walked out. So far, the best deal I got is from Joe Rizza and Arlington at 36500 otd, but I think I can still do a little better. Would you mind sharing want color combo you got?

Thanks.
  • Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I went today to get a 2006 TL w/o navigation. I wanted him to match invoice and he refused to come down off MSRP. They had no 2005's left and on the 2006 he said MSRP or else.

The dealer was a jerk could hardly speak english,knew nothing about the car, and cut up Lexus on the entire test drive.

Why am I not getting below MSRP???????? This is insulting considering I am paying Cash for the car no financing what so ever.

I guess the Infiniti is looking better everyday.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Did you finally buy the TL? If so (if you don't mind), where and what was your OTD price?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Starman98,

Your technique may be the problem. It would be very unlikely to have a dealer give you a car at invoice, as generally they would make no money on the deal unless there are dealer incentives. If you contact dealerships via email and ask for their best price, I suspect you will be offered somewhere between $1,000 and $1500 off MSRP. The '06's just arrived as you know and it would be almost unheard of to get one for invoice or even close to invoice.

It is my understanding that the dealerships don't really care these days if you pay cash or finance. In fact, they usually prefer people to lease the car as they can fudge some numbers to get a better profit.

Good luck with your search.
  • Options
    Agree with liferules on this one.
    I went in with a fixed price and didn't budge with my local dealer. It was a fair offer (not invoice!) but in the end still a "take it or leave it" offer. The *&^*$'s left it (and profit) on the table. They are, however misguided I may think it is, entitled to do so. It depends sometimes on the dealer and perhaps how much competition there is too and whether they think you'll be back or change your mind??

That's why california and, apparently, Chicago (with many dealers/competition) do better pricing-wise.
  • Options
    Had to share with all. Got an internet price for 2006 TL at invoice + TLL, etc. from Frankel Acura to buy in 2 days. I sent an email request for quote and to my surprise got a response for invoice due to high inventory. I assume to get at invoice, you must send an email request for quote. Love to hear if anyone gets the same response and actually purchases.
  • Options
    Wondering if the extended warranty is worth it? Would love to get feedback.

Thanks.