Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Sounds like some killer deals!

Steve, Host
  • I got my new 2003 Sedona EX with ABS, leather and sunroof Saturday from Harry Lane Chrysler-Kia in Knoxville, TN. I paid $20,700 after rebate, plus tax, title and registration, plus I gave them my 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan with 152,000 miles on it. I paid more over invoice than I thought I should, but he just wouldn't come down any more on a Sedona with all the options.

Since I could have paid $200 more for a 2002 Sienna with 28K miles on it, I still feel I got a good deal.

Some of the sales guys told me, after I bought it, that the Sedona's were killing their sales on Chrysler Voygers. For the price of a Sedona, you can get a Voyger with 6 cylindar engine and A/C and that's about it.

I also think supply is getting tight here. This dealer was the only one within 150 miles who had an EX with all the options I wanted. He also owns the only other local Kia dealership, so the market here is sort of captive.

All in all, I feel like I did OK, and I was impressed with the way the dealer conducted everything after the price was agreed to.

I found a small scratch on the roof that looks like it happened when the rack was put on. They are fixing it with in a week, with no complaints.
  • smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    i saw a lot of Kia vans at Cooper Kia in Utica NY

along a state highway.

Utica is in the toilet economy wise.
  • we bought the '04 EX, with every available option(leather, sunroof, ABS, tow hitch,spoiler etc) for 23,500 minus $1,000 ('04) rebate. so $22,500 plus TTL. we did 36months financing at 4.14%, which is competitive with all the other loans we shopped on LendingTree. Northern Cal, bay area.

not many differences in the 2004's, the MPG is slightly better(did they change something or just do more testing to arrive at a better number?), grey carpet is lighter as is the cladding. also, front grille is different. lastly, there is only half as much rebate available, $1,000.
  • pwierpwier Posts: 11
    Well I did it, with the addition of my now 7 month old son and our two door cars, it was time to make a change. So last night, my wife and I walked in to the Sun Auto group KIA show room (Wantagh, NY)and walked out with a 2003 sage green EX with leather, sunroof, ABS and the rear spoiler (21K even)before tax. Considering other makes and models, the price was a leading factor, plus my wife loved it. We will pick it up within the week, and hopefully I wont have any regrets. Being a GM supporter, I have grown tired of waiting for GM to rid their cheap plastic interiors and to build a 5 star rated van. It will be much easier getting our little one in and out w/o hitting his head or our own on the roof of the car. I will report back after we drive a little. OH, although I did most of leg work myself, Sun auto group was a good experience, I would have liked to have paid $20500.00, but all considered, 21 was fine.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Sounds like an excellent price on a very good van. Was there a trade-in involved, or was the Sedona a straight purchase? $21k before tax sounds really good.
  • pwierpwier Posts: 11
    21K was the straight price. No trade-in involved. I feel I could do better selling my car on my own. We will most likely pick it up on Tuesday, just waiting on the insurance info and loan closing. This will be my first foreign auto. I'm sure I will own another GM in the future, but hands down 5 star safety, price, warranty and looks, this van can't be touched by the competition. We looked at the toyota sienna $27K for the SE model. Ford Freestar, believe it or not, priced higher then the sienna and the list goes on. 21K sounds fine with me. Thanks for the congrats. How long have you owned your Kia and how has it held up. Current mileage. Thanks.
    bought new 2002 EX in February 2002-> owned it for 20 months. Van has held up very well, with only minor warranty items and inexpensive routine maintenance so far. Ours is approaching 28,000 miles. We have avoided some of the common problems experienced by many other Sedona owners reporting on this board - noisy A/C etc. Ours must have been built on a Wednesday or something.

Very pleased overall with the purchase. No regrets, except maybe that we didn't wait a while. Demand was fairly high back in early 2002, and we paid $22,930 which was $1,000 under MSRP. Back then, that was better than many folks were doing. I helped my parents buy a loaded 2003 EX earlier this year for $21,350 (plus tax/title/registration)!
    Congrats - please join us in the main Kia Sedona discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • Sedona EX Purchase

Purchased a 2003 Sedona EX with Leather, Moonroof, ABS, Spoiler for $19,300 which included a $2500 rebate and a $1000 loyalty discount.

Delivered it to me at no cost at a distance of 150 miles.

Bought this on the Internet at Jeff Belzer's KIA, Lakeville, MN.

Ron
  • jqp3jqp3 Posts: 1
    2004 Sedona EX - Leather, Sunroof, ABS, DVD entertainment system for $21,600 after $1000 rebate.

Capitol Kia, Austin, TX

I hope it will last for many years.
  • 2003 Sedona EX - Ruby Red, Leather, Sunroof, ABS, Spoiler: $19,800 after $3000 rebates.
  • Is there a simple plug in device for trailer wiring or do you have to splice into the existing wires to hook up trailer lights? JC Whitney has a plug in device for 2002 models but nothing for 2003 models. I would think both years are the same but would like to hear from some 2003 owners. Thanks, [email protected]
  • 2003 Sedona EX - Ruby Red, Leather, Sunroof, ABS, Spoiler: $19,300 after $3500 rebates (owner loyalty went up $500 to $1500 this week).
  • navyairnavyair Posts: 202
    Go to www.etrailer.com for the wiring harness. Worked great on my 2003 and good instructions. Bought it as a part of the class III package, so don't recall independent package, but it was reasonable-high teens I think.

Quick hook up, although if you wish to run wires for perm install attached to trailer, it will be harder(kit is for inside installation running wires outside hatch via the "slam the hatch down on it" occasional use. Getting the wires through the hatch is a little harder...involves drilling or pass through existing hole and resealing. That is the only thing that keeps me from installing my backup sensor...will take all pm to disassemble/reassemble tailgate. (hooks up around license plate)
  • We just purchased our Sage Green '03 Kia Sedona EX with tan cladding, loaded with ABS, Sunroof, Leather Package, and Rear Spoiler for $20,300 pre-tax. Our Kia dealer also gave us 50 free oil changes, and some other free check-up items as well. We had a happy buying experience, but I must say I did my research and shopped around so we were prepared for a quick and easy buying experience once we were ready to make our purchase. We and our kids love our Kia!
  • I bought my Kia Sedona on 11/7/03 with 9,500 miles on it for $13,999. I think that was a good deal, altough we have possible issues with the brakes and air bag light not going off on the dashboard. Buying experience was very good.
  • shi7shi7 Posts: 3
    Hi there chrisbgood & other Sedona owners,

I have been researching vehicles for about a week now, hard to decide if I want a van again (had a junk 96 Windstar) or "keep up w/the Jones" SUV. I have a family of 4 plus a 60lb canine and occasional friends. Really looking at the Sedonas for their value, safety and options (really want that SUNroof)! I am N of Lia (SS,NY) and would probably be shopping there - my question (finally)- Are you still satisfied with Lia? Was the car buying process fairly smooth? How is the service? How do u & your wife feel about your 2002 Ex to date?
      I'm the wife and this will be my ride, mostly in town driving but occasional trips to Albany and Lake George, also would like to tow our small boat to our yearly camping trip to Fish Creek, NY(Tupper Lake). I am interested in the 2003 or the 2004- really trying to keep price low so will probably go with the 2003 (wondering if I'll find one really?)...
      I hope your still out there and can give us all feedback on your dealer and your 03 Ex... : -)
  • navyairnavyair Posts: 202
    I've got a 2003 EX. My wife loves it. She only put 7-8k/yr on our old Ford Aerostar. The Kia just went over 17k in a year. We've had virtually zero problems, except a habitually noisey air conditioner, and one light bulb in the hatch which I need to replace.

Van tows fine. Having the oil and transmission cooler really helps. I have an aftermarket class 3 (2" square receiver)hitch I bought from etrailer.com...takes about 30 min and minimum tools to install.

Minor gripes: 1. It could use about another 12" behind the back seats. We usually leave the middle seat behind the driver out to carry extra suitcases or the junk my spouse can't live without on the daily runs to town. Makes it easier for the kid in the back seat to enter/exit as well.
    2. Bumper covers are soft plastic and scratch VERY easily, showing the black color underneath. We have 3-4 big nicks on the front where road rocks and the occasional tall parking bullet rub show through.

Hope this helps. It's a good van, very solid, and ours has proven very reliable. I've had it in snow, ice, slush, mud, and heavy rain...it handles very well. Our stands up to DC stop/go traffic, and the I-95 grand prix races as well.

Recommend you look at the "used" values for low mileage 2003 here on Edmunds and use that as a bargaining chip while negotiating with your dealer. (...because 3 sec after you drive it off the lot, that is what it is worth)if you go after the 2003.

Have a great New Year.
  • Hi shi7 -- Lia was a very good buying experience. No issues with service -- they seem to be respectful and easy to work with. I had a few minor issues which they have resolved.

We have > 24k on the van now and it does keep up with traffic (watch for tickets). Milege is as advertised (15 to 20 -- occassionally as high as 22) so keep that in mind but even the best minivan isn't much better.

If it's this or a Chrysler/Dodge -- I pick Kia (having owned both). If it's this or a Honda/Toyota -- if I had the extra $$ I might choose Honda/Toyota -- but it's a huge chunk of change (>5k) difference in out the door price.
    Happy New Year!

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to look for an 03 or 04 EX- I MUST have the sunroof & ABS so we'll see what I can find in the 03 otherwise I'll go with the 04.
    I'm wondering on the leather pkg- if it's worth the $$/comfort, etc... I do have 2 kids (5 & 9)and a dog but then again I live where it snows 5-6 mo out of the year and don't want cold seats. :-) I plan on keeping this baby for a long time so the 10 year warranty really hooked me... (I'll get the SUV when the kids get their own cars)
    I also did a comparison between Honda/Toyota/Mazda and Dodge and the Kia has so many more options for the money and the best fuel mpg, very impressed with the 5 star rating as well... I won't be buying until late Feb so I hope the great incentives (cash backs) are out there then...
  • I did get the leather and we do like it for the kids and us (two kids, one 4 and one 8). Would I preferr heated seats? Yes! We have them in our second car (a 2003 MINI) and they are great. But if they are not offered the leather is easy to clean and seems to have heald up well so far.

The leather is an inexpensive option -- go for it if you want it! The sunroof is OK -- wife loves it (it's her car). The MINI's goes across the entire car (front to back so it's better -- but it's a different car.
  • Well I've finally entered the world of familial domesticity............I OWN A MINIVAN.........got a 2004 Sedona EX with absolutely everything for $20,253.00 out the door. That included 2k in rebates and a beater they gave me a grand for. Now the Sorento is officially mine and wifey has her "mom mobile".
    Once I get my Sedona with my leather seats (might as well have it all), I would be interested in getting a car starter installed. I had this on my 96 Windstar and positively loved it. It's great when your running after the kids in the AM trying to get ready for work/school and can just push that button and once you get in the car it's warm... I'm curious if this would effect the warranty at all? Would it be something I could still have installed but have it done at a Kia dealership? Of course I can do without it but it's a great inexpensive extra.

Also, on the Kia website I don't see an entertainment option but have seen people writing in about getting the DVD/Entmnt option- I am assuming this is only for the 2004?

Never say Never, it sounds like you got a good deal, obviously you are happy with the Kia products as this is your 2nd one! I am considering the Sedona and it's great to see people are buying them and are pleased!
    I've never investigated this, but I imagine most dealerships offer remote starters and installation. I can't imagine how a properly installed unit would void any warranty.
  • Actually, it's our third Kia product. Began the experience with a 2000 sportage. O.K. truck, not a whole lot of testosterone to it but it was solid. Couple that with the way we've been treated by the dealership regarding service and it's been win-win for us.
  • killerkkillerk Posts: 55
    Hi, I live in Northvale, Bergen County, NJ.
    If any of you could recommend a dealership (or to avoid one) I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I'm also close to Rockland County, NY.

I didn't get to review ALL the postings. So what are the most noticeable modification from 2003 to 2004 model? Called a couple of dealers in the area and they have some 2003s available. But if 2004 is substantially improved, then I'm willing shell out extra $$$. Thx in advance.
    Are gas costs keeping people away from the dealers?

Steve, Host
  • aafaaf Posts: 9
    I purchased a new 2004 Kia Sedona EX with sunroof and ABS last night for $11,868. cash with $3000. in rebates and $4000. in trade for a 1998 Windstar GL with 85,000 miles on it. That totals $18,868. for a car with an MSRP of $24,040. There are apparently some incredible dealer incentives out there right now till 3/31. I bought from Herb Chambers Kia of Rehoboth, MA. I figure I can't go wrong at that money for a new car. I'll let you know after I drive it for a few years.
  • Hello,
    I am looking for an '04 Sedona LX for my sister. Has anyone had any luck in negotiating the removal of the "dealer holdback" figure on the invoice pricing? After reading about it on this site I do not believe that this should be an additional charge. The Edmunds TMV price does not take this into account as an additional charge.
    Thanks in advance!