Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

neener....neener...I told Cadillac a long time ago that the price point for the ELR was wrong....

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    neener....neener...I told Cadillac a long time ago that the price point for the ELR was wrong....

I think EVRERYBODY told Caddy that same thing. Now, though, saying it with their wallets! They did the same with the XLR, I guess they believe that to have a "halo" car, just price it outrageously. It must be great, look how much it costs!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176

Saw an M4 in traffic today - the bimmerangs are kind of hidden, which is nice. Still a terrible styling gimmick.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Nissan Leaf.

Not that unusual, but this one had Utah plates. Utah is over 400 miles from here - did they truck it down or take 5 or 6 days to get it here?

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711

A new BMW M4 in front of me this morning. As great a car as it must be, I wonder if driving a car at 5% of its potential would get old.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955

Not sure I'd call it "old." It can be a little frustrating in a way. But you just gotta make time to get to the track. Otherwise, its wasted capacity. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@stever said:
    Nissan Leaf.

Not that unusual, but this one had Utah plates. Utah is over 400 miles from here - did they truck it down or take 5 or 6 days to get it here?

I wonder if that would be a good car to tow behind a motorhome. Guess it largely depends on how much you have to drive it between stops because running the generator of the motorhome just to charge the Leaf is probably not economical. However, charging it while driving the motorhome might not be so bad (I have no idea if that's even possible).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@qbrozen, I was behind it so didn't notice a tow-bar up front. An irv2.com post says you can't use it as a toad unless it's completely on a trailer. Too bad, probably would make a good toad otherwise and there's plenty of plug-ins at the RV parks.

• Options

I'd rather have a cheap gasser, won't have to worry about getting it charged, gas used is nothing compared to the RV!

• Options

lol, good point.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Saw the new full-size Transit out on the road today, with normal plates. Are these things on the market now?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I saw some parked out in front of my local dealer, so I assume so.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    stickguy said:

I saw some parked out in front of my local dealer, so I assume so.

Same here. My local dealer has had them for about 2 weeks. Hard to tell if they are turning as they are all white....
  • Options
    Porsche Macan. In white.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    stever said:

Porsche Macan. In white.

My wife wants one..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411
    kyfdx said:

stever said:

Porsche Macan. In white.

My wife wants one..

I guess I'm lucky that my wife wants a V60, then.

Still, $45K equipped the way she wants. The Macan would probably run $70K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    My wife just wants me to get something for myself so I stop stealing her car. She still loves her RDX. IMO a great value alternative to a macan, if that is way out of budget!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The heck with the missus, I want one. B)

(I did win a buck on the lottery a few weeks back. Apparently I have to go to Tennessee to collect on it though).
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    M235i!

I saw my first new BMW 2 Series coupe while driving in the NH Lakes region, The 2-er is much anticipated by us long time Propeller Heads as a reversion to the classic BMW values of compact performance. The black M235i coupe I spotted was very good-looking with none of the stumpy looks of the One Series. It looked a tad larger than the Oner but perhaps a bit smaller than the E46 3Series of 2000-2005. They've just announced that the convertible will be intro-ed at the Geneva Salon this Spring for sale this fall.>

For the first time in almost 2 decades I am contemplating the purchase of a new car. :s

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    So much better looking than the 4. I guess this is what the 3 used to be. 4 is a little awkward to me, reminds me of those odd LWB Chinese market cars (Avalon also gives me that vibe, like a normal car stretched a few inches).

Saw 2x TLX parked at the Acura dealer, and a plated GEM car in city traffic.
    andys120 said:

M235i!

For the first time in almost 2 decades I am contemplating the purchase of a new car. :s

• Options
    Saw a white W205 C-class sitting at the holding lot of the MB dealer, and another one I haven't seen before, in the showroom.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited September 2014
    A new TLX passed us today and was pretty impressive but I bet it takes premium fuel...this I still don't get! A bit stupid really!
    Drove a '13 GL 450 at work and didn't realize that it's as large as it is, parked next to a Tahoe, it's about the same size. Hated the auto tranny shifter, what's so bad about the way 99% of other vehicles have it? Dumb idea in my mind as different isn't always better! Overall, a nice vehicle though size wise, I'd go for the smaller version if I were to own one.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I guess this goes under 'new cars' - a G550, I guess it was new, it looked lowered, white with black wheels. Not a good look in my book. They got on the gas, must have had an aftermarket exhaust, quite a growl.
  • Options
    yes, the TLX is going to request (not sure about require) premium.

• Options
    stickguy said:

yes, the TLX is going to request (not sure about require) premium.

It's recommended but not required.
  • Options
    So one can cheap out and have degraded performance if they buy a premium product but are unwilling to pay to play. Just buy a 4cyl Accord then.
  • Options
    Vastly different cars even on RUG. And you will not notice a difference in performance. Maybe on a race track if you are running up toward recline constantly. Especially on the V6.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    fintail said:

So one can cheap out and have degraded performance if they buy a premium product but are unwilling to pay to play. Just buy a 4cyl Accord then.

I once had a co-worker that leased. He had a 1.8T Jetta that he was paying close to $400 a month for and he used regular gas. He also didn't bother to change the oil (it's a lease) and sludged it up.
  • Options
    Then why even "recommend" premium? I can't believe there is no difference.

But driving MBs, premium is "required".
    stickguy said:

Vastly different cars even on RUG. And you will not notice a difference in performance. Maybe on a race track if you are running up toward recline constantly. Especially on the V6.

• Options
    400/mo for a 4cyl Jetta, sounds like there were lots of problems at play.

I once had a co-worker that leased. He had a 1.8T Jetta that he was paying close to $400 a month for and he used regular gas. He also didn't bother to change the oil (it's a lease) and sludged it up.

• Options
    I think it is partly to be a luxury brand. People expect premium.

I know my RDX has the same basic engine as iirc the accord. Almost identical specs, including the compression ratio. I have used all grades and nit found any noticeable difference.

I suspect whatever they tweaked to take advantage of PUG was added at the top margin, nit dialing back the basic engine output. Whatever it is I don't notice the difference.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Maybe it carbons up without the additives in Premium. I think there has to be more than expectations.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited September 2014
    A minimum amount of additives are required and I bet Chevron dumps the same amount of Techron in the tanks whether they are filling them with regular or unleaded. Ditto Shell and the rest. Not sure I buy the "if a little (the minimum) is good, a lot is better" argument.

Then we get into that whole Top Tier argument and whether it's worth it or just marketing. Sure looks good on paper though.

Spotted a new Caddy SRX - not sure how new. Mostly caught my eye because it was black and looked hot. As in hot, not HOT. :)
  • Options
    well, I go between Regular, mid grade and Premium (depending on prices and my mood) but I always stick with name brands. Sunoco, Exxon/Mobil, or Shell unless there is no other choices.

• Options
    Heh, I filled up for $2.99 for regular today. Don't even remember the brand now, much less if it was Top Tier. :D
  • Options
    stever said:

A minimum amount of additives are required and I bet Chevron dumps the same amount of Techron in the tanks whether they are filling them with regular or unleaded. Ditto Shell and the rest. Not sure I buy the "if a little (the minimum) is good, a lot is better" argument.

Well, up here the major fuel companies all claim, both in advertising and on the pumps, that their Premium fuel contains the most cleaning agents. Don't think they would lie about that. But believe what you want.

• Options
    Oh, I believe that I guess, just not convinced that it makes much difference. I used to use Chevron a lot in my Boise years but now I just dump a bottle of Techron in the tank once a year or so.
  • Options
    well, if that is true, everyone should put in premium, even if the car only calls for regular, right? because if RUG runners are staying clean, can't be all that important!

• Options
    Direct injection engines seem to have issues with carbon buildup on the valves. I have also read where fuel tank sending units can be sensitive to the use of some low-grade RUG. I would only run Premium if I was anticipating keeping the car for a long time.

• Options
    DI might be an issue. But, if they don't require it, should not be an issue. and a bunch of DI engines call for RUG. So not sure if PUG will actually make a difference. Can also put in techron or something approved by the maker.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas

Premium vs. Regular (cartalk.com)

One of my favorite quotes is from Shifty - "premium gas is not a doggie treat for your car" B) .

• Options
    That list isn't right. I know in my owners manual it says recommended for best performance, with a minimum of 87.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Click and Clack's advice might be best for a Mitsu Expo or Fiat, maybe not for some other cars. At least the Edmunds link admits it is a necessity for some cars.

Per my E55:

The fintail wants to be picky too:

But it could probably run on kerosene for awhile, before coughing up the FI unit like Doc Brown's DeLorean in 1885.

Two different not connected independent MB mechanics recommended Chevron to me. I figured that can't be a coincidence.
  • Options
    Don't think I have seen a Chevron station in years. Not sure if they even have them in Jersey any more.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    There's a difference between "recommended" and "required". You should go by your owner's manual but if it says "recommended" most of the experts say you're okay with regular gas.
  • Options
    fintail said:

400/mo for a 4cyl Jetta, sounds like there were lots of problems at play.

It was a combination of being a payment buyer, wanting all the goodies, prepaying for 20K miles a year and wanting zero out of pocket upfront.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Fin - my 300E has that Premium Fuel Only sticker inside the gas door, too. I think its on the dash, too. Can't recall at the moment.

That list? So, my Stang only recommends premium? I'm still not going to run regular ... ever.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411
    qbrozen said:

Fin - my 300E has that Premium Fuel Only sticker inside the gas door, too. I think its on the dash, too. Can't recall at the moment.

That list? So, my Stang only recommends premium? I'm still not going to run regular ... ever.

Both the wife's Mazda and the daughter's MINI require premium - the Mazda only gets Shell V-Power (there may have been < 5 tanks in 3.5 years of another brand of 91 octane) while the daughter puts in whatever is convenient for her at the time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    2011 G37X requires premium.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The Nissan/Infiniti 3.5-3.7 V6 is picky on octane, I've heard.