Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrids in the News

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    car which only sells for $700 more than the gas version - so strides on cost are being made...
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Take the Chrysler diesel/hybrid. It never got out of the test lab because the cost difference.

Poor product planning & R&D then I must say.
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    "So, going back to the Civic implementation, would you take it for something like 33/42 mpg rating instead of 32/38 mpg?"

A Civic that is capable of switching between 4-cylinder (160hp) and 2-cylinder (80hp) operation, I would expect to have highway MPG = 50..... just like the Civic Hybrid (85hp).

City would still be 32 as you surmised, although it might be possible to have a 2-cylinder option to help boost that too.

troy
    We could expect 100 mpg but that may be far from reality. VCM can only help so much. It bottoms out with 5-12% improvement in Odyssey.
    Can Hybrids "SAVE" the USA Big Three? This story indicates some people in the know seem to think so:

"This is a do-or-die situation for a vital American industry. We cannot afford to lose the fight," said Roland Hwang, Vehicles Policy Director at NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council). "The answer is simple: Compete. Build the best damn cars and trucks in the world, and build them with the clean, efficient technology the market needs now. That means hybrids."

Read entire story here:

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_17269.shtml
    A 4-cylinder Civic that can cruise on only 2-cylinder (80hp) operation, should get exactly the same highway MPG = 50 as the 80hp Civic Hybrid.

Same aerodynamic shape & same power = same fuel burned.

troy
    Similar efficiency? Let us assume it is, but that is going to help only during cruising when electric motor isn't doing anything (like assisting during acceleration and during idle-stop). Why not just skip the VCM and hybrid part and offer 1.3-liter i-DSI as the engine?

Now, here comes the potential problem. With hybrid power, Honda can afford to use slightly taller gearing than it can without it. This could translate to slightly shorter gearing in the non-hybrid versions (VCM or not, as you might see, Odyssey w/VCM is geared slightly shorter than one without). Shorter gearing could sap additional fuel.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I don't know where you are getting 160 hp for the Civic, but the only Civic that has 160 hp is the Si 3-door. Otherwise the most hp in the Civic is the EX sedan and coupe, with 127. Other models have less than that, e.g. 115 for the DX and LX.
  • fuel manfuel man Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the link. While Mr. Hwang presents an interesting argument, it oversimplfies the issue to support his agenda. He is the Vehicles Policy Director at NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council)a group that would arguably like to see the entire auto industry go to hybrids until they can come up with a viable fuel cell option.

Unfortunately, the market for hybrids is limited to the fact that their is a $3,000 - $4,000 to buy one, compared to a comparably equipped non-hybrid. Granted, there is a group of people that are willing to pay the premium and the fact that many are waiting to buy some hybrid models is evidence of this.

However, there is a larger group of people who are willing to pay a premium for a more powerful car and that is why we saw so many vehicle manufacturers show 500 + HP vehicles at the Detroit show and the LA show earlier this month. Even Toyota got into the HP game with their concept Lexus with over 600 HP they revealed in LA. Ask yourself, when is the last time someone wrote a song about a hybrid?

Mr Hwang spoke at Automotive New's World Congress earlier this week in Dearborn Michigan. In fact he was on a panel of auto exec's and supplier exec's who agreed that hybrids are here until a viable solution for fuel cells can go to make and be profitable. Until then, we will see a mixture of hybrids and diesels that will address the fuel efficiency issue. In fact, that panel concluded that hybrids will likely account for approximately 5% of the market at their peak. At current sales volumes of 16.9 million units (2004 actuals), that would account for around 850,000 hybrids at their hieght in the 2012 timeframe.

Personally, I think that number may be aggressive considering that diesels will become a viable, competing technology for hybrids after the vehicle manufacturers and the supplier community addresses the more strict emission standards that will go into place between now and 2009.

One only has to look at Europe, where fuel prices are more than twice the price of California's gas prices. They have addresses this issue aggressively with the sale of "clean diesels", which accounted for approximately 50% of total sales in Europe for 2004.

While hybrids are not THE answer to save the Big Three's shrinking market share it is part of the answer. They must also consistently bring exciting, depenable products that are fun to drive. The real answer is product! In the automotive world product is king.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum and thank you for the thoughtful insight...
  • cablackcablack Member Posts: 45
    If it is true that hybrids will account for only 5% of the market even that far into the future, it makes me wonder sometimes if the automakers are choosing the right vehicles into which to put hybrid technology. It seems like many, if not most, folks that are willing to buy hybrids (as a hybrid owner myself), are willing -- perhaps even inclined -- to drive something slightly "out of the ordinary".

The Prius and the Honda Insight fit this category. However, now bucking that trend, we currently have the HAH, and in the future the Altima and the Camry with hybrid options. Those are completely mainstream cars.

I'm wondering if a better strategy might be to go after those models that already have a following which is happy to be somewhat different. Cars like the Honda Element or the Scion (the boxy one). Or maybe even a Chrysler hybrid to go along with their already unique lineup -- only not focused on horsepower, but rather on fuel economy.

It just seems like with those automobiles, you have a loyal base of customers who might happily jump on the hybrid bandwagon and become zealous advocates of the technology. And then maybe we would have hybrid drivers who were more willing to sacrifice horsepower in order to get wildly superior gas mileage, and maybe push the technology further.

I realize that this would probably not help to achieve greater market penetration, but it might yield a focused, intense following. Sort of like the Insight today. Rather than being yet another drivetrain option on a mainstream car.

Note that I say this as the owner of a mainstream hybrid (the HCH). And also one who would really really like a hybrid Honda Element. ;-)
    I'm wondering if a better strategy might be to go after those models that already have a following which is happy to be somewhat different.

Consider that automakers are interested in profitability above all. The question is, could they sell more hybrids (and make higher profits) by putting hybrid powertrains into niche vehicles, or by making hybrids out of mainstream models like the Civic, Accord, Highlander, RX330, and (soon) the Altima, Camry, Sienna, etc. The more vehicles they can spread their costs over, the lower the per unit cost and the higher the profit (or the lower the selling price, increasing marketability).
    Consider that automakers are interested in profitability above all...

I understand what you are saying, and I probably agree with most of it. I was just speculating that if the adoption rate is going to be 5% of the market, why not target a segment that is ready and willing to wear the "different" label, because they are already doing it based on their vehicle type. Might be an easier sell, than it would be towards those who are like many of my friends and say, "hybrids are too slow, or too new, or too green (!), or too <whatever>."

I can certainly understand spreading the cost over a number of vehicles. Although the more car models they choose to do it for, the greater the cost incurred, due to supporting the hybrid drivetrain in many different configurations.

Plus -- I really want that hybrid Element.
    If you haven't already done so, you should rally all the other people who want a hybrid Element and send a petition to Honda.

There aren't all that many configurations to support due to engine sharing. For example, Toyota uses the same V6 and I-4 in several models. That's why it is practical for them to consider offering a hybrid Highlander, RX330 (RX400h), Camry, and Sienna because of the engine sharing. It could also be practical for them to drop the hybrid powertrain from the Prius into the Corolla, maybe even the Yaris (ECHO) and Scions. Look also at all the GM cars that use the same V6 and Ecotech engines, and all the Ford/Mazda models that use the same I4 and V6 engines.
    There aren't all that many configurations to support due to engine sharing

Yes, that's a good point.

Frankly, I'd be happiest if just about every automobile had a hybrid option. Along those lines, I just read today that some analysts predict that Toyota will become one of the "big three" in a few years. If that is true, and they make good on their promise to support a hybrid option on most if not all of their models, then maybe they will help push the whole industry towards making fuel efficiency more of a priority than it is today.
    "I don't know where you are getting 160 hp for the Civic"

Good grief... I was postulating what could be done with variable cylinder management. i.e. You could make a Civic with a 4-cylinder/160hp engine that switches to 2-cylinder/80hp/50mpg operation during cruising.

You'd have the power of 160 horses, economy of a civic hybrid on the interstate, and without the ~$1000 expense of a battery/motor.

troy
    Gotcha.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Toyota Bets the Farm on Hybrids

Date Posted 01-21-2005

Summary: Toyota president Fujio Cho says Toyota will be producing over 1 million hybrid vehicles per year within five years. Eventually, every Toyota range will have a hybrid version.

Full story: Toyota is planning to press home its advantage in hybrid cars and ramp up production to 1 million units a year within five years, according to president Fujio Cho.

Accepting the European Car of the Year award for the Toyota Prius hybrid at a ceremony in Gothenburg, Denmark, Cho said, "I can't be concrete but it should be 1 million units within five years. With the right cars we can do much more."

In the next 12 months, Toyota will build 300,000 hybrids, including 180,000 Prius models. A hybrid version of the Lexus RX will go on sale this year, with electric motors driving all four wheels. Toyota will also build Japanese-market hybrid minivans. "Eventually each model range will have a hybrid version," said Cho.

Cho said Toyota was striving to bring the price of hybrids down through economies of scale. "It costs more than an average car because of the battery, motor, inverter and so on. But with improved design and manufacturing methods, and increased volume, we have reduced costs significantly. I can't say when a hybrid will reach parity with a conventional vehicle but it's our objective."

What this means to you: While many automakers have dillydallied over electric cars, fuel cells and other alternative power plants, Toyota has pushed hybrids aggressively, and has seized a strong position in the "green" market. Now it's planning to bring the price down, which can only be good news.
    Toyota Bets the Farm on Hybrids

It would be a big gamble if they jumped in with large scale volume. I think they are being very cautious and rightly so. This is not an easy marketplace to predict. Gas going up 50 cents throw people into a panic. It drops back down and the SUV & PU truck sales take off again. The buying public still want the utility. If Toyota can offer the Highlander and Sienna with hybrid at 3 grand over the V6 models they will probably sell good. If the rumors of a RX400h costing $52k are true, and the Highlander has a comparable markup they will be sitting on the lots after the initial few well heeled buyers jump into the early frenzy. When the truth about resale of the Prius is made known it will also have a negative affect on the sale of all hybrids.
    When the truth about resale of the Prius is made known it will also have a negative affect on the sale of all hybrids.

What truth are you referring to? According to Edumunds.com's TMV prices on used cars, a four-year-old Prius returns about half its purchase price as a trade-in--few four-year-old cars do that.
    a four-year-old Prius returns about half its purchase price as a trade-in--few four-year-old cars do that.

That is what the TMV says alright. I just watched a 2002 Prius with 92k miles bring $9100 on eBay from a Toyota dealer in Washington DC. It was supposedly in great condition. That means the person that traded it in probably got less than that in trade. The Edmund's TMV on that vehicle with that many miles was $15k. People are not going to buy a hybrid with a lot of miles on it and no warranty. The nature of the hybrid is for people that do put lots of miles on a car. You may as well accept that when you get close to 100k miles you are not going to get blue book from a dealer. Maybe someone on the street. I know some of you think that buying cars on eBay is stupid. It is done all the time. If you have a better source for actual prices paid for used cars I would love to see it. What a car is listed for in the trader means Nothing.

PS

I Paid $36k for my 1999 Suburban 6.5 years ago. My neighbor hit me up to sell it again last week with a $20k offer. Try that with anything else but a Porsche.
    FWIW, Edmunds.com's TMV prices are based on actual sale prices--but more than one. Any conclusion can be supported by a single select example.
    Any conclusion can be supported by a single select example

That is true. However of the 25-30 Prius I was tracking on eBay that is the only one that sold. Most ended up not getting the minimum bid. I know there has to be a site that shows prices paid for used cars. I just have not found it. I think the history of sold Prius is so small at this time it would be difficult to draw any hard conclusions. I just have seen so many people saying they have a high resale without any substantiating evidence.
    I think the history of sold Prius is so small at this time it would be difficult to draw any hard conclusions.

Excuse me, but isn't that exactly what you did a few posts ago?
    I gave the only example I had evidence of to make my point. Which still is that the Prius at 100k miles will be hard to unload. Even when it is only 2 years old. And that is not what the TMV gives as a price for that car.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Gagrice...Sometimes we agree and then there's the times we disagree. Take your opinion on a Prius w/ 100k (probably 4-6 yrs old). Unloading any car with those miles rubs on the narrow thinking that any car w/ that many miles is over the hill..well, I'm here to tell you that thinking is passe` just like back in the 60's when americans thought that "those rice burning cars and bikes just won't last like our good ol' tried and true Detroit cars (ha! ha!). Times DO change and so does OUR thinking. Of course most of us tend to trade or sell our cars just for the sake of trying something new or inovative (like maybe a Prius?). I personally sold my 02 Suzuki Grand Vitara with 21K in perfect condition just to aquire a Prius.

Culliganman (Time will Tell)
    Take your opinion on a Prius w/ 100k (probably 4-6 yrs old).

It was actually a 2002 with 92k miles in supposedly excellent condition. It sold for $9100 from a Toyota dealer in DC. My contention is that the car was probably still good for a lot of miles. The perception of hybrids is not that of longevity. There is very little history other than one lone cab in Vancouver that everyone treats as the Holy Grail of hybrids. Would you pay top dollar in this case it had a Blue Book value of over $15k. Yet the dealer only got $9k. You draw your own conclusions. I would be happy to see other evidence that is all I have found. I see a lot of used Prius for ridiculous prices advertised. Are any of them selling for near the asking price?
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    O.K. Where to begin...You stated, "The perception of hybrids is not that of longevity." If Toyota is willing to go 8 YEARS/100,000 miles fully covering the hybrid sys. I'd say THAT and the usual top dollar Toyota cars bring is a good start to the "longevity" you refer to. I have a friend who owns a Civic Hybrid and she has over 83K on it and just can't say enough about how great the car has performed.

Back to your example on the 1st generation Prius..The 1st generation was just that. Hardly the grand success that the 2nd generation has been. Many accolades from all over the world praising the Prius (Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Consumer's Report, ETC)as the most revolutionary car to come along in years. Yes, the jury is still out, because time will tell and public and owner opinion will be the telling story. I've gathered several sites to be "in the know" so to speak. Maybe that explains why I own an 04 Prius. Is it a perfect car? No! But I haven't been this excited about a car since I bought a brand new 71 Mustang Mach One silver w/ all white interior. That pony made me smile just like my Prius.

Culliganman (a taxi Prius is not your every day used car)

P.S. I almost bought an 02 Prius when I was wintering in Corpus Christi TX in 03 and they were discounting them $1200-$1500 dollars at that time. I'm glad I waited for the 04.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    A hybrid built of recycled materials sold with a folding bike for riding around town once you've parked your car. Go to http://www.dahon.com/dahonnews20.htm
    I had that idea already, but no capital to make one !!

Actually, my idea is this: In a couple of years, I plan to buy a Segway HT (after prices come down) and put it in the back of my Hybrid. Then when I go drop my kids off at their school, I'm going to park in the visitor parking spaces at the school and take my Segway the rest of the way to my work (only about 4 miles) and then reverse the trip in the afternoon.

I will save about 720 miles a year, and use the cheaper energy of the Segway !!

(brilliant!)
    I want to figure out how to plug my HCH into a windmill like this one guys apparently does:

"Some drivers, including Kroushl, are going even further: adding battery capacity &#151; and a plug. The hoped for result: a high-tech commuting car that plugs into a socket at night and gets amazing gas mileage the next day.

In effect, these backyard mechanics have turned the hybrid car's appeal on its head. Instead of emphasizing gasoline over electric power and the convenience of today's cars, they're aiming to create less polluting higher-mileage vehicles that emphasize electricity over gasoline &#151; even if it's a bit less convenient.

"One guy I know plugs his Honda hybrid into a windmill for power," Kroushl says. "It costs him practically nothing to drive."

Entire article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2005-01-28-plug- ged-in-hybrids_x.htm
    Another quote from the above USA Today story link I posted:

"While Andrew Frank concedes that an electric car powered indirectly by coal isn't much better for the environment, he argues it is still more efficient transportation &#151; and it makes a world of difference from the standpoint of energy security.

With engineering students at the University of California at Davis, Professor Frank has spent more than a decade turning production vehicles into plug-in hybrids using off-the-shelf parts. "We just built a high-performance plug-in hybrid Ford Explorer," he says. "It's 325 horsepower &#151; 200 of that horsepower is electric and 125 is gasoline. This car goes like a rocket, but still gets double the fuel economy of a regular hybrid. And for the first 50 miles it is all electric &#151; zero emissions."

That's enough for many drivers to complete their daily commute. Compared with conventional cars, the annual fuel consumption of the modified cars "is only about 10%, because you're using gas so infrequently," he says. "Our studies show [that] the average person would only go to the gas station six times a year compared with maybe 35 times a year."

Built on a stock Explorer platform, the hybrid retains all its original interior space. There is also more space in the engine compartment because the vehicle lacks moving parts like a fan belt, generator, water pump, and even a transmission. Because it has fewer than one-fifth the number of moving parts of a conventional SUV, the hybrid's weight, even with a heavier battery, stays the same. Assembly is simpler and reliability, better. In production, it might cost $40,000 or less, he says.

That is simply AWESOME !! I would pay $40K for a car like that !!!
    Good article. That makes more sense for me. I drive very little and to have an electric vehicle for our almost daily trips to shop, would be ideal. No wind generator for me. You have to live where the wind average speed is 9 mph. I don't like that much wind.
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    The sad part of plug-in-hybrids is that it can be plugged-in only by the people having a home with a garage / porch.

Apartment guys cannot charge. However if the fast charging stations are set-up, then it will help the cause.

This Bangalore, India based company is doing exactly that for their battery powered scooter costs

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/bline/2004/12/25/stories/2004- 122502030200.htm

I would expect Tokyo, Japan to do that since they have 30 million affluent people.

So finally, the success of Hybrids is giving way to Plug-in hybrids as well. Good.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Saw this in The Car Connection daily edition for Jan. 28, 2005, is Lexus trying to slip one in ? - snip - Toyota&#146;s luxury arm, Lexus, plans to roll out a second hybrid-electric vehicle with a media preview scheduled during the upcoming New York Auto Show. The GS450h will be the first luxury sedan with a hybrid powertrain, and the first HEV in any form on a rear-wheel-drive platform. Its Big Apple unveiling is scheduled to occur about the same time the first Lexus hybrid, the RX400h crossover, hits showrooms. Company officials are being tightlipped about specific details, but Lexus will start with the new GS430, and mate a version of its Synergy Drive system to the sedan&#146;s already beefy V-8. Where early hybrids, such as Toyota&#146;s breakthrough Prius, focused on delivering maximum mileage, Lexus is taking a different tack. The RX400h will trade off a bit of fuel economy to increase acceleration. And in the GS450h sedan, the emphasis will be on &#147;pure performance,&#148; hinted Lexus General Manager Denny Clements, noting that electric motors deliver maximum torque during initial acceleration. Expect to see the hybrid roll onto the market about a year after the launch of the new, gasoline-powered GS models.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=173&sid=173&a- rticle=8045
    The alliance between GM and DaimlerChrysler did not begin last week. It started with the U.S. Council for Automotive Research (USCAR), formed in 1992 by the Clinton administration to help American car companies defray the expense of developing new, lightweight automotive materials; hybrid cars and trucks; and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles.

Unfortunately, USCAR was sold to the American public, Congress and the media as a super-car program designed to yield an affordable family sedan that could get 75 miles per gallon or thereabouts with little or no pollution. It was a matter of using hype and headlines to loosen congressional purse strings.

America's Big Three car companies &#151; then GM, Ford and Chrysler &#151; were involved in USCAR. Eventually, Japanese partners of American car companies &#151; including Toyota Motor Corp.

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=89DAF2D4-5B3B-465A-- 9EF3-D77F747CD8AB
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Another manufacturer states there is no profit in hybrids. Hmmm...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/30/autos-74094.htm
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    To be fair, he says there's little profit in hybrids, not zero profit. And while there may not be a lot of profit in them today, you can bet that they're banking on them being profitable tomorrow, or else they wouldn't bother building them. Businesses rarely make products that will be a loss just because it's a nice idea.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

you can bet that they're banking on them being profitable tomorrow, or else they wouldn't bother building them.

There is no reason to believe they will be profitable ever. They have a 100 year history of failure. The ICE only solution has buried the hybrid all through automotive history. Now the diesel ICE is lining up to knock off the current hybrids. Hybrids have too many expensive components. I think that is why all the automakers are dragging their feet, including Honda & Toyota with their limited production.
    Hybrid technologies can be applied to fuel-cell vehicles. Perhaps the automakers with the most experience in gas/electric hybrids will be in the best position to go the next step, to fuel-cell vehicles.
    quote gagrice-(you can bet that they're banking on them being profitable tomorrow, or else they wouldn't bother building them.) "There is no reason to believe they will be profitable ever. They have a 100 year history of failure."

Gary, do you think the Lexus LS line of cars is a profitable line for Lexus, today?

I think you'd probably agree that they ARE a profitable line.

Well, do you remember when, way back when, those LS cars were NEW and STORMED the luxury segment?

Do you remember SPECIFICALLY what the US Automakers and Euro automakers said about those cars? I do, because I was a new car freak back then. They said this:

"Lexus is selling them at a loss to gain market share."

Was that true, or not?

If it WAS TRUE, then is Lexus NOW LOSING MONEY on the LS line of cars, or have they turned it into a profitable car?

Now you can see why Hybrids CAN BE profitable in the future. Get a market share, lower prices due to higher sales, and make a profit.

They did it with the LS line, why can't they do it with Hybrids?

Do you think the 10 or 15 car makers who have committed to Hybrids have not studied the profitability factors? That's not giving them much credit.
    Do you think the 10 or 15 car makers who have committed to Hybrids have not studied the profitability factors? That's not giving them much credit.

If you read the article that started this line of debate, you will see that the CEO of Nissan does NOT share your optimism. No matter how much you down play the facts, it is still A FACT that the hybrid has more parts to go bad than the ICE only vehicles. He also did not think the Fuel cell vehicles were feasible either.
    quote gagrice-"If you read the article that started this line of debate, you will see that the CEO of Nissan does NOT share your optimism. No matter how much you down play the facts, it is still A FACT that the hybrid has more parts to go bad than the ICE only vehicles. He also did not think the Fuel cell vehicles were feasible either."-end quote

Well, his is one man's opinion, and that does not jive with the other 10-15 CEOs who DO think they can make their stockholders money selling hybrids.

The CEOs care about the profitability since their jobs usually depend on it.

Nissan just recently came out of a major slump and has rebounded recently, so that CEO is "cautious" for good reasons, not at all related to Hybrids, just business.
    The CEOs care about the profitability since their jobs usually depend on it

That is true. I don't see 10-15 CEO's with hybrids on the road. I see 3 that are building very limited runs of their hybrids. Toyota has yet to sell two models. They have had the RX/Highlander in testing for at least 2 years and maybe it will make it to market this year. After all the traction problems with the Escape Hybrid they may be doing more field work.
    Current or upcoming hybrids, both gas and diesel in the research phase:

Toyota (Lexus)

Honda

Nissan (Altima 2007)

GM (several car lines)

DC (Dodge, Mercedes)

Hyundai

Ford (two car lines)

Porche (reviewing the Cayenne for hybrid powertrain)

VW (researching but no cars planned yet)

So that's at least 8 CEOs, and I might have missed a couple.
    I can understand the CEO's point of view. If my lobbyists in Washington were reporting back to me that Congress is demanding cleaner air AND higher CAFE standards, how would I respond?

(a) do nothing

(b) import my company's already existing diesels from Europe for a +15mpg per car improvement

(c) design from scratch an untested/unknown technology called the "gasoline-electric hybrid"

I'd choose either (a) or (b), and avoid (c) until ~2020. Let other companies take the risk of failure. I'm taking the safe route of using already-existing technologies.

troy
    Correction: Toyota has announced that the Highlander Hybrid and RX400h will definitely make it to market this year.

Also, the Bill Ford for one is very bullish on fuel cell vehicles. In a recent interview of the CEOs of major car companies, they were asked what the "next big thing" is for the automotive world. Ford said it was fuel-cell vehicles.
    In a recent interview of the CEOs of major car companies, they were asked what the "next big thing" is for the automotive world. Ford said it was fuel-cell vehicles.

What would you say if your company was the recipient of billions of dollars in corporate welfare, that was provided to solve our perceived gas guzzling car problems? All we have to show for the money is a few marginal hybrids. None of which will ever gain mainstream popularity. Meanwhile the EU has cut GHG and oil consumption with conventional diesel cars.
This discussion has been closed.