Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,706
    Q, what did the lease deal on the F150 end up being? Not sure I ever saw.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,420
    breld said:

I'm kinda digging this (though they'd have to come off that price by a few grand):

http://www.gebhardtbmw.com/used-Boulder-2014-BMW-2+Series-228i-WBA1F5C5XEVW97997

My wife is going out of town this weekend and I don't have the kids.  A lot of time on my hands - @Jpp5862 and @michaell, I may need an intervention.  

That's almost exactly how I'd option a four cylinder 2er- manual, RWD, M Sport, Lighting, and Technology packages, heated seats... All I'd want added is H-K, the Track Handling Package, M Performance LSD, and sunroof delete.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413
    @roadburner the profile thing was the problem. Both keys were assigned to profile 1. I moved my key to #2 and now everything is working as expected. 

I assume it makes a profile determination based on which key is closest to the drivers door when the car is unlocked?  I ask because we commute together and each carry our keys. 
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

@roadburner the profile thing was the problem. Both keys were assigned to profile 1. I moved my key to #2 and now everything is working as expected. 

I assume it makes a profile determination based on which key is closest to the drivers door when the car is unlocked?  I ask because we commute together and each carry our keys. 

I'm glad you got things sorted. It's hard to predict which key the car will select if both fobs are in the car; in theory it should select the fob that unlocks the car- but if both are in range either can be selected.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

I'm kinda digging this (though they'd have to come off that price by a few grand):

http://www.gebhardtbmw.com/used-Boulder-2014-BMW-2+Series-228i-WBA1F5C5XEVW97997

My wife is going out of town this weekend and I don't have the kids.  A lot of time on my hands - @Jpp5862 and @michaell, I may need an intervention.  

I hate that I can't figure out BMWs anymore. Is that a base model with all the packages tacked on or did it start as a MOdern, Sport, M Sport, or what? 

If a base, $25k is about the moon on it. They do push $22k for automatic versions at CA auctions, but as low as $18k in other regions. I'm sure options is part of that difference, too.

M-sport, plus premium, cold weather, tech and lighting packages. Don't seem to see too many of the 4 cylinder 2's optioned up so nicely.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,002
    But how did you determine that? Listing states M Sport Package, which is different than an M Sport model, as I believe RB has explained here before. (?) Its all gibberish to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguy said:

Q, what did the lease deal on the F150 end up being? Not sure I ever saw.

I'd have to dig out the paperwork to give specifics, if you really want to know. But, roughly, $48,430 MSRP, ~$42k cap cost, $29,542 residual. So approximately $12k depreciation cost. My total OOP over 2 years is a bit over $15k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    qbrozen said:

But how did you determine that? Listing states M Sport Package, which is different than an M Sport model, as I believe RB has explained here before. (?) Its all gibberish to me.

I could be wrong - for this model, I believe the M sport "line" and M sport package are one in the same.

The separate M models that aren't full blown M's ( :o ) are like the M235s and X4Ms.

RB I'm sure could clarify.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,481
    With close to 40K on the odometer, the service light illuminates on my Mom's 2016 V6 Cayenne.  No problem as my parents pre paid for maintenance up to 50K miles.  I noticed that her tires are shot too, so I start researching.  They are the standard 18" wheels.  Good Years.  Tire Rack has them for about $303 each including shipping.  Since Mom is bringing the Cayenne to the dealer for service, if they are more expensive, but within reason we'll have them done there.

"Good Morning.  Porsche of Larchmonr service department.  How can I help you?"

"Hi.  I'd like to purchase tires for my 2016 V6 Cayenne.  Can you tell me how much they are?"

"We charge $50 to mount and balance each tire.  Let me transfer you to the parts department for the price."

ThiS should be cute.

"Great.  Thank-you."

I sit on hold.  The parts guy picks up.  Tells me the tires are in stock and will cost $298 each INCLUDING mounting & balancing.

"Sold."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,659
    nyccarguy said:

With close to 40K on the odometer, the service light illuminates on my Mom's 2016 V6 Cayenne.  No problem as my parents pre paid for maintenance up to 50K miles.  I noticed that her tires are shot too, so I start researching.  They are the standard 18" wheels.  Good Years.  Tire Rack has them for about $303 each including shipping.  Since Mom is bringing the Cayenne to the dealer for service, if they are more expensive, but within reason we'll have them done there.

"Hi.  I'd like to purchase tires for my 2016 V6 Cayenne.  Can you tell me how much they are?"

"We charge $50 to mount and balance each tire.  Let me transfer you to the parts department for the price."

ThiS should be cute.

"Great.  Thank-you."

I sit on hold.  The parts guy picks up.  Tells me the tires are in stock and will cost $298 each INCLUDING mounting & balancing.

"Sold."

When was the last time you saw that happen?

Can you say ... NEVER?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

I could be wrong - for this model, I believe the M sport "line" and M sport package are one in the same.

The separate M models that aren't full blown M's ( :o ) are like the M235s and X4Ms.

M Sport- Trim/suspension package
    M Performance- Generally the most powerful non-M car in the series; they slot in between the regular models and true M cars: M235i, M550i xDrive, X4 M40i
    M Car- M2/3/4/5/6...

• Options
    A value buy at a Porsche dealer? Are pigs flying too?

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited June 2017
    breld said:

Does intervention mean test drive in this context? I'm around all weekend if we need to do one. :smile:

And that dealer is only 10 minutes from my office if you need a pre-inspection.
  • Options
    jpp5862 said:

breld said:

Does intervention mean test drive in this context? I'm around all weekend if we need to do one. :smile:

And that dealer is only 10 minutes from my office if you need a pre-inspection.
    No guarantees that I'll be available, but let me know if a get together is planned.

Oh, @fintail - this one's for you:

http://jalopnik.com/pissed-off-vigilante-subaru-driver-takes-it-upon-hersel-1796310422

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Michaell said:
    I just sent this to a co-worker. I actually have to admire a Seattle-area driver aggressively dealing with the situation. Must be a transplant.

The best part of this is one of the comments at the bottom: "Fun fact: this is how the Subaru Forester was born."
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,242
    Funny. I guess that's the "aggressive" part of the typical local passive-aggressive driver. Sounds like there's a traffic enforcement gap in that area. Shoulder cheating is something I associate with Dallas or Atlanta.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,982
    stickguy said:

When I think $300 /tire, value is not the word I'd use. :open_mouth:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    fintail said:

Funny. I guess that's the "aggressive" part of the typical local passive-aggressive driver. Sounds like there's a traffic enforcement gap in that area. Shoulder cheating is something I associate with Dallas or Atlanta.

Happens here in Denver, too.

On I-25 just south of where I used to live where there was an 8-mile stretch between exits. If there was an accident, traffic backed up quickly. Drivers were able to duck off the highway onto the frontage road - this happened so frequently that there were permanent trails in the grass every few hundred feet.

CDOT built guardrails to prevent that from happening.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I suspect it will happen more here as roads become more crowded. I think in some areas, shoulders are opened for peak traffic hours, too.

Come to think of it, ages ago, an old friend up in Bellingham got in a crash with a shoulder cheater. He was stuck in a jam, exited when the lines allowed, and was rear ended by a cheater going like 45. My friend was in a Corolla, which was demolished.
    Michaell said:

Happens here in Denver, too.

On I-25 just south of where I used to live where there was an 8-mile stretch between exits. If there was an accident, traffic backed up quickly. Drivers were able to duck off the highway onto the frontage road - this happened so frequently that there were permanent trails in the grass every few hundred feet.

CDOT built guardrails to prevent that from happening.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,978
    With all the rain we've had, noticed condensation in the right headlight. Went into VW yesterday afternoon and seems to be a bulletin about this issue. They had the vehicle about 2 hours and brought it back to me at about 6 with the right front bumper misaligned. Told me to come back this morning and after another couple hours, put it on the best they could. Told me that an interior trim piece was missing which had let the moisture into the headlamp and have already ordered the replacement trim piece. Don't know what to think here and probably a bad design issue that obviously is known by them.
    Last year, when backing out of the garage, the queen bed rails on my side of the garage hit the car when I backed out, leaving a couple of marks on the paint. It wasn't a big heavy bed frame and never noticed the fender being out of alignment till last night. The service lady today said something must've hit the car and pushed the alignment out judging by the paint issue there. But I assured her that it wasn't that way yesterday and she had to admit that she didn't see it on her visual inspection, they do a very intense visual inspection when going in for any service. But she never mentioned it until today...something I thought was very odd!
    Glad I went since I'm almost at 32K and will be out of the factory warranty before to long. Guess no vehicle is perfect and just wonder if the German spec vehicles would have this trim piece fall off??? Regardless, still no other vehicle I'd want right now except maybe a 328i.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Have been driving a lot of the new Civic's at work and they're beginning to grow on me. The rear end is really a bit too fussy and hopefully Honda will address that a bit in year four. Prefer the hatch and if I did ever get one, that would be the one. The standard seat material is just o k and think I'm a bit spoiled now since we both have the nicer seating material.
    The few Corolla's that I've driven just don't have that "fun factor" that the Civic does. The Civic seems to be more of a drivers car while the Corolla is more of an appliance, and a very good one at that! But a bit bland in the fun department.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Off today so decided it was time to make the hotel reservations for our October trip to Chicago. Picked a local hotel in the Lincoln Park area and looks great from the pics. There will be five of us flying in from Ft. Lauderdale and hoping the weather is a bit cooler by mid October. Will be there five nights so we can see some of the downtown area before and after the ceremony as they are waiting on a honeymoon till a later date.

• Options
    Sat in a new GLI at the VW store yesterday and liked it. A bit larger than what I'm used to but something I could get used to. Saw a new Golf with smaller 16" rims but liked them, a lot. 5 spokes but looked good on the black Golf they were on. The new Atlas is a big vehicle, BIG! Have only seen a couple of them on the local roads but like the look, especially in white. Disappointed with the low mpg's on the current Tiguan which is a shame, as it's something I would like if it had the same figures as my Golf.

• Options
    Honda Civic rentals? That's been a rare thing for the past 20 or so years.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

M Performance- Generally the most powerful non-M car in the series; they slot in between the regular models and true M cars: M235i, M550i xDrive, X4 M40i

M Car- M2/3/4/5/6...

I thought we discussed this before but can't remember the answer.

So if you pick a base car and add M sport pack, is that the same as having started the order with the M sport model designation? I'm not even sure they do that anymore. I know it was a thing in recent years.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

You might be the last hold out!

Seriously, I was all excited that @graphicguy, @qbrozen, & I had this whole Infiniti Club going here on CCBA.  Thanks a lot guys  :p

That makes you the new leader...;-D

In all seriousness, said this before. I liked the Q50. I'm just an "Acura guy". And, the new one just really hit all my buttons. No reflection on the Infiniti, at all!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

ThiS should be cute.

"Great.  Thank-you."

"Sold."

I got a pretty good deal on the Michelin PSS for the 2er; the tires cost only about $10 more per tire than Tire Rack- once shipping was factored in.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    tjc78 said:

It is when you are buying quality UHP tires in sizes 18" and up- especially if mounting and balancing is included.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

M Car- M2/3/4/5/6...

I thought we discussed this before but can't remember the answer.

So if you pick a base car and add M sport pack, is that the same as having started the order with the M sport model designation? I'm not even sure they do that anymore. I know it was a thing in recent years.

In general M Sport isn't a "Line" any more- but rather a package. There are still Sport and Luxury lines depending on the model- and the M Sport package supercedes either if ordered.

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Sandman, Lincoln Park area is nice. I stay in the area at least once a year. Great restaurants, October weather should be good. Close to downtown, but less congested.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,295
    edited June 2017
    My parents and I stayed at The Wit downtown a few years ago. And that is probably where I will stay when I go back. Not economical, but a great hotel and extremely friendly staff. Even the restaurant on the first floor had good food and a great waitstaff. I remember when you never wanted to eat hotel food!  :D

edit: looks like their pricing has gone down since we were there. 
  • Options
    I just read somewhere that the 2018 Volvo XC60 will come in three trims - the T5, T6 and T8. The T8 will be a PHEV, I believe, and put out over 400 hp. The 0-60 times for the T8 are reported at 4.9 seconds. I want.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,982

It is when you are buying quality UHP tires in sizes 18" and up- especially if mounting and balancing is included.

I hear ya, I drive a Buick and a Hyundai.  I don't even know what high performance is.    Just for kicks I looked up the Enclave's tires. $200 a pop without balancing, so maybe the $300 is a bargain. 

Monday I picked up a nail in one and another 1" in the wrong direction and I would have been replacing it. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

And especially at the PORSCHE dealer

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    A set of 18" Pilot Sports for my E55 cost $1300 back in 2010. High end tires aren't cheap.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stickguy said:

Pigs can actually fly, given sufficient initial velocity :p
  • Options
    so, had the Sonata in for service today. Last oil change. A little early, but it needed one before lease end, and I had a $25 coupon from the dealer, and had a recall to do, so I just did it now. Flagged the air cleaner element as a bit dirty, and said to do it next oil change. Service guy laughed when I said that would be Hyundai's problem.

so while at the automall, I got some exercise lapping the place and looking at cars. Had to kill time somehow! So, some highlights.

Sat in a new TLX in the Acura showroom. Very nice. A bright blue A spec, though seemed to be front wheel drive (I guess they come front or all?). Loved the seats. Just enough bolster, comfy, and could really tilt the front of that sucker up. Nice cushion length too. Eventually I need to find a base car to sit in! But like GG said, it is a really nice car, comfortable and well designed. Fits me nicely, and I like the size. Definitely on the list to drive.

Saw a nice BMW X1. really loaded, including sport seats (great option for $400!). But sticker was over $47K. Ouch. Nice car though. I could live with one.

Also sat in a Maxima "platinum". All loaded up. Sticker was $42K, but had a lot of stuff on it. White, which worked a bit better on that car. The interior though was very nice. Great seats too. Kinda big, and rear visibility sucked. Will still probably take one for a spin.

wandered through Hyundai. Saw a couple of Santa Fe Unlimiteds outside. Very sharp looking. Tons of room behind the 2nd row too. Just won't need anything that big unless the wife for some reason wants to flip her car, and really wants to go bigger.

Toyota had nothing interesting, but I did poke around at that new CHR (?), the Juke competitor. Odd looking in person too. And squat back doors. I would bang my head and knees trying to get in there. Pass.

• Options
    Just saw an UBER sticker on an S550. Who'da thunk it!
  • Options
    final stop was the Honda dealer. Got approached there by a salesguy so told him I wanted to see a Civic EXL. None up front, so took a coupe into the storage lot (this place is huge). Finally found a Touring that didn't have a dead battery. After trying 2 EXLs that did. So pulled that out, and checked it over. Then took it over to the test track for a spin. Drove nice. smooth drivetrain, plenty of power. quiet ride too. Decent seats, but the cushion seemed way too short (a bad failing to me!). But, overall and for the cost a nice package.

also sat in an Si. That had nice seats. Not too narrow, I don't think. My wife might disagree. Did not drive it, but will eventually. Good value on that one too. Probably a hoot to drive.

poked my head in a Fit. That is a good deal. Perfect car for dogs. with the seats down, a giant box with a real low walk in. Could put 2 labs in the back with room to spare.

• Options
    stickguy said:

so, had the Sonata in for service today. Last oil change. A little early, but it needed one before lease end, and I had a $25 coupon from the dealer, and had a recall to do, so I just did it now. Flagged the air cleaner element as a bit dirty, and said to do it next oil change. Service guy laughed when I said that would be Hyundai's problem.

so while at the automall, I got some exercise lapping the place and looking at cars. Had to kill time somehow! So, some highlights.

Sat in a new TLX in the Acura showroom. Very nice. A bright blue A spec, though seemed to be front wheel drive (I guess they come front or all?). Loved the seats. Just enough bolster, comfy, and could really tilt the front of that sucker up. Nice cushion length too. Eventually I need to find a base car to sit in! But like GG said, it is a really nice car, comfortable and well designed. Fits me nicely, and I like the size. Definitely on the list to drive.

Saw a nice BMW X1. really loaded, including sport seats (great option for $400!). But sticker was over $47K. Ouch. Nice car though. I could live with one.

Also sat in a Maxima "platinum". All loaded up. Sticker was $42K, but had a lot of stuff on it. White, which worked a bit better on that car. The interior though was very nice. Great seats too. Kinda big, and rear visibility sucked. Will still probably take one for a spin.

wandered through Hyundai. Saw a couple of Santa Fe Unlimiteds outside. Very sharp looking. Tons of room behind the 2nd row too. Just won't need anything that big unless the wife for some reason wants to flip her car, and really wants to go bigger.

Toyota had nothing interesting, but I did poke around at that new CHR (?), the Juke competitor. Odd looking in person too. And squat back doors. I would bang my head and knees trying to get in there. Pass.

Nice assessment. The TLX does indeed come in FWD or SH AWD, on any model, now. The seat cushions on the ASpec have power thigh extenders. Really good seats, all the way around.
  • Options
    If I ever get an hour to myself I want to run out and drive the A-Spec TLX. I'm very intrigued. 
  • Options
    Uber Select could probably be quite profitable in the right area. Find a discounted damaged title car of the right year, and go to work - a few rides a day could be an OK income.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I agree that Hondas tend to have short seat cushions. Never could figure that out.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,295
    edited June 2017
    fintail said:

Uber Select could probably be quite profitable in the right area. Find a discounted damaged title car of the right year, and go to work - a few rides a day could be an OK income.

I think they used to ban cars that had ever been announced at auction as having frame damage, which would rule out a lot of cars with a bad Carfax. And I don't think they will allow salvage/rebuilt cars.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

Did you go with OE tires- N0, N1, etc.? I bit the bullet and went with the "Star BMW" Pilot Super Sports- $14 more per tire. If they wear like the first pair it works out to around $19 per year.

• Options
    It looks like they still do, for some categories anyway. Easy solution, just get a car from FL or somewhere else that likes to uh...clean the titles, and problem solved.
    corvette said:

I think they used to ban cars that had ever been announced at auction as having frame damage, which would rule out a lot of cars with a bad Carfax. And I don't think they will allow salvage/rebuilt cars.

• Options

Did you go with OE tires- N0, N1, etc.? I bit the bullet and went with the "Star BMW" Pilot Super Sports- $14 more per tire. If they wear like the first pair it works out to around $19 per year.

Yes.  OE.  I think they are N0 "Porsche Spec."  I'm dying to get my hands on a Macan S.