Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @breld with you on the color would be one of my top favarates red and blue are my favorate colors no I have said before on hear!
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,320

@corvette congrads on the new SUV good luck with it. so what year was the GMC you used to have with sum problems just wondering. how menny miles wher on the old one. and now on the one you just got now.

Old one was a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali AWD with 138,000 miles. This one is a 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD with 114,000 miles. Still a lot of miles, but it's only had one owner, and it's a late build 2009. The one owner said it's her third Tahoe and she's never had to do anything other than normal maintenance, which is encouraging.
  • Options
    @corvette nice nice on boath thanks for the response! good luck with this one! now!
  • Options
    @corvette my older brother had an GMC Ucon back in 2005 think was an 1997 we got it with 60 k on it for $70000 had to help him out with getting an new truck since week before his Toyota truck had gon on fire. he keeped the ucon for maby one year maby was an bit less. wanted an nother truck. than had an tundria for years. now has had the 2004 f250 he got used with 130 k on it think it had at the time now few years later on. now has whell over 200 k on it now. uses it for construction in upstate new York pulls things with it. dezal one it is. sorry for the rant lol lol.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,422
    I messaged a couple of Toyota dealers around here. Sounds like not many work with US Bank or at the very least, aren't used to it. 
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,743

I messaged a couple of Toyota dealers around here. Sounds like not many work with US Bank or at the very least, aren't used to it. 

I had to tell them about USBank. Not that they weren't familiar, they just didn't realize the crazy residual on those two models.

Salesman: We don't usually use them, because their money factors are too high.
    Me: Well sure, on a Sienna, but what does TFS charge on a Tacoma?
    Salesman: (checks his computer) uh... .00225
    Me: Well, then.... hmmmm. (Trying not to say, well, duh)

We pick it up tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have pictures, then.

I think the automatic residuals on that model were 8% lower.
    The two killer deals are:
    SR Double Cab 4x4 V-6 auto
    TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 V-6 stick

Most Tacoma lease deals are reasonable through TFS, but not crazy cheap like those two configurations through US Bank.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for the congrats..

This is our first Toyota product. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

kyfdx said:

I had to tell them about USBank. Not that they weren't familiar, they just didn't realize the crazy residual on those two models.

Salesman: We don't usually use them, because their money factors are too high.
    Me: Well sure, on a Sienna, but what does TFS charge on a Tacoma?
    Salesman: (checks his computer) uh... .00225
    Me: Well, then.... hmmmm. (Trying not to say, well, duh)

We pick it up tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have pictures, then.

I think the automatic residuals on that model were 8% lower.
    The two killer deals are:
    SR Double Cab 4x4 V-6 auto
    TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 V-6 stick

Most Tacoma lease deals are reasonable through TFS, but not crazy cheap like those two configurations through US Bank.

Wow! That's a big swing to get an auto. 
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,318
    @kyfdx - I think your Tacoma lease deal is as good as, if not better than, your short lived Z4 deal from years ago.

80% for 36 months - that's stupid crazy high.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Great deal! Can't wait to see pictures.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

@kyfdx - I think your Tacoma lease deal is as good as, if not better than, your short lived Z4 deal from years ago.

Well... not quite as good as the Z4, as a percentage of MSRP... but, a lot less work. I literally spent one hour on the internet, and 1.5 hours at the dealership to get the Tacoma deal (including test drive). And, didn't have to fly to Baltimore to pick it up!

The best lease deals I've seen (not mine) were some of the GM deals using GM Card points and bonus points on Saturns and Cobalts. Some people were leasing cars for $59-$79 /mo, with zero out of pocket. That, and @roadburner taking over a fellow employees lease on an i3. Also, the $9500 stipend given to low-income lessees in California for electrics.. Basically free cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,509
    Super Deal @kyfdx!  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Congrats @kyfdx that's a great deal. A good friend of mine has a new Tacoma. He had it in yesterday for it's 10,000 mile service and he couldn't be happier with it.

@breld and @michaell maybe we need to go visit the Toyota dealer.....
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

kyfdx said:

Well... not quite as good as the Z4, as a percentage of MSRP... but, a lot less work. I literally spent one hour on the internet, and 1.5 hours at the dealership to get the Tacoma deal (including test drive). And, didn't have to fly to Baltimore to pick it up!

The best lease deals I've seen (not mine) were some of the GM deals using GM Card points and bonus points on Saturns and Cobalts. Some people were leasing cars for $59-$79 /mo, with zero out of pocket. That, and @roadburner taking over a fellow employees lease on an i3. Also, the $9500 stipend given to low-income lessees in California for electrics.. Basically free cars.

But then you're stuck with a Saturn or a Cobalt! :'(
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,034
    i had hoped to get the cooling system done today but, as usual, things are not as planned. JEGS said this radiator is for my car, but it ain't. So I spent many hours today fashioning aluminum brackets. Guess I won't be finishing this up till the holiday weekend.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,178
    What is the story on radiators these days? I know the old-style brass rads are long gone from OEMs but are they no longer available aftermarket? It has been a long time since I bought one, probably close to 20 years.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jpp5862 said:

Congrats @kyfdx that's a great deal. A good friend of mine has a new Tacoma. He had it in yesterday for it's 10,000 mile service and he couldn't be happier with it.

If we do, @breld is as likely to lease something as you are. He's got a soft spot for them.

But yes, a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

ab348 said:

What is the story on radiators these days? I know the old-style brass rads are long gone from OEMs but are they no longer available aftermarket? It has been a long time since I bought one, probably close to 20 years.

I don't actually know. I was intentionally looking for an aluminum one for better cooling.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,775
    had the Sonata on a trip this weekend up to New York. Wife decided too that we need something with more "scoot" (the daughter already gave her opinion on this). Fine in normal use, but we were transporting people, so had 5 adults in the car plus some stuff in the trunk, with the AC on. Had to flog it on the hills pretty good! Part of the problem is typical AT programming, trying to avoid downshifts at all costs.

on the plus side, plenty of room for everyone, in comfort, and I got about 34 MPG overall on the trip.

I suppose that a good alternative (if in need of the room and comfort piece) is the Turbo version of the Sonata. Should cure the lack of grunt issue. With comparable MPG on the highway.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,002
    @kyfdx
    Congrats! What a great deal.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @qbrozen keep up the grate work on the old car. hear you on things cumming up or parts not fighting right the first time.
  • Options
    good chance next year will be moving to NC mom wants to sell the house prices of things hear keep going up taxes worst part.
  • Options
    Hope that everyone had an good weekand!
  • Options

good chance next year will be moving to NC mom wants to sell the house prices of things hear keep going up taxes worst part.

that is why I want to go. Was originally planning on NC also, because my daughter goes to school there, and I assumed she would stay down there, but now looks like she is going to be back up this way. Nuts.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,716
    Michaell said:

jpp5862 said:

If we do, @breld is as likely to lease something as you are. He's got a soft spot for them.

But yes, a trip to the dealer may be in order.
    I'm game (always). Wife and I spent much of the day wandering some car lots for fun (Sunday so no harm, and she gets her "steps in").

Nothing too interesting - we went by one of the dealerships that was hit hard by the recent hailstorm - the damage to the cars is crazy.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I almost went to a Toyota dealer today. Wife stopped me when she pointed out I'd be selling the GTI to get a Tacoma. Nope nope nope. 
  • Options
    @stickguy Man wow! YOu never no! in life when you have sum thing in mind to do than plan's change like that! but hopefully down the road you and your wife will be able to move once your daughter is settled and doing her wone thing bit down the road!
  • Options
    @breld Nice way to spend an Sunday you and your wife! any interesting cars katch your eye!
  • Options
    @28firefighter Man wow! got to keep the wife happy! lol lol
  • Options

I almost went to a Toyota dealer today. Wife stopped me when she pointed out I'd be selling the GTI to get a Tacoma. Nope nope nope. 

Yeah, I wouldn't do that either

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Apparently, the Tahoe has Bluetooth for making and receiving calls, but not for audio streaming, which is what I would like to use it for. I will just use a 3.5mm cable like I did on the trip home Saturday. 
  • Options
    @corvette - where are we with punches for the year?

And, to help us with our guesses for future years, I'd like to ask if everyone is comfortable sharing when their last lease or finance payment is due on their current fleet. Not the payment amount, just the vehicle and the month/year.

I'll start:

2016 VW Jetta SE - lease - July 2019
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R - purchase - February 2021

@corvette - as the designated thread scribe, do you mind tracking this for us?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Here are my leases:

2015 Enclave - Jan 2018
    2017 Elantra  - November 2019

It is very possible I sneak a punch in right at the end of year (I'll be on vacation after the holidays). 

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,272
    I suspect last E250 payment is May 2019.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,766
    kyfdx said:

Thanks to everyone for the congrats..

This is our first Toyota product. :o

So now your part of the club where a single warranty claim constitutes utter failure for a Toyota product :open_mouth:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    My Kia Lease is a Labor Day Weekend buy, so it'll be 2 years and 24,000 miles to go in just over 2 more months. I wouldn't mind something with a little more grunt and a better sound system sooner.... Leases for 3 years in a way are a safeguard from being a regular CCBA contributer. 3 years is a long time! :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3 said:

My Kia Lease is a Labor Day Weekend buy, so it'll be 2 years and 24,000 miles to go in just over 2 more months. I wouldn't mind something with a little more grunt and a better sound system sooner.... Leases for 3 years in a way are a safeguard from being a regular CCBA contributer. 3 years is a long time! :smile:

Yeah, but you've got an alternate car you can drive that is way more fun that the Kia.

Me? I've got the Jetta, and occasionally the Outback. Nothing fun or cool about either of them, but I like them just the same.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Sonata, 11/8/2017 goes back. Jetta 7/3/2018. RDX we own.

• Options

Michaell said:

Yeah, but you've got an alternate car you can drive that is way more fun that the Kia.

Me? I've got the Jetta, and occasionally the Outback. Nothing fun or cool about either of them, but I like them just the same.

Wife and I took a walk at lunch  (gorgeous here today) and I told her since we are stuck with an SUV that when the Elantra goes back we need something with at the very least a little bit of speed. Having two slow vehicles stinks.  Oh, and quick to me is 6.0 to 60 or so.  

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,178
    The ATS last payment is October of 2017, so only a few to go.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,584
    2014 Audi A4 - Lease - September 2017
    2014 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL Purchase - June 2018

I probably need to figure out what I want do on the car soon...the way May and June went it will be Labor Day before we know it.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,839
    Congrats, @corvette - it is hard to beat the space, reliability, and cost of a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban at that age and mileage. I have a friend that basically only drives these as used cars. Only real issue he's had is the Stabilitrak problem (I'm not even sure on the details), which is apparently fairly common, but also a relatively easy/cheap repair once you know how to deal with it.

@kyfdx - That's seriously impressive on that Tacoma! It sure makes arguing against such a move very, very difficult... particularly with the manual transmission to boot!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,839
    As for vehicle payments, etc., I think that the last payment due on my Q7 is Feb '22. I definitely will not have the car that long, though!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,509
    2 vehicles in the fleet are paid for with title in hand (Prelude & Pilot)

Infiniti will be paid for in March of '20.  I know it's the famous last words 'round these parts, but it's going to be very difficult to find anything that hits the mark for me as well as my Q40.  I bought a car with less than 7500 miles and a 328 hp V6 for under $25K.  I anticipate having about 70K miles on the car by the time it's paid off.  I'd pickup (no pun intended) a Tacoma for $265 per month if that deal is still around in 3 years and pass the Q40 on to my wife;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    edited June 2017
    2015 Buick Encore lease is up Sept. 2017, son's 2017 A4 lease is up May 2019.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 460
    corvette said:

@corvette congrads on the new SUV good luck with it. so what year was the GMC you used to have with sum problems just wondering. how menny miles wher on the old one. and now on the one you just got now.

Old one was a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali AWD with 138,000 miles. This one is a 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD with 114,000 miles. Still a lot of miles, but it's only had one owner, and it's a late build 2009. The one owner said it's her third Tahoe and she's never had to do anything other than normal maintenance, which is encouraging.
    IIIRC, your Denali would have had the upgraded 6 speed automatic because it was a 6.2L and that's how they came. At that time, the Tahoe and regular Yukon still had the old 4 speed auto through 2008 and got the 6 speed in 2009 regardless of engine. So the 5.3L in your 2009 Tahoe should be mated to the better tranny.

2024 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,316
    xwesx said:

As for vehicle payments, etc., I think that the last payment due on my Q7 is Feb '22. I definitely will not have the car that long, though!

What is the buyback looking like for the Q7? Is it as favorable as the Passat TDI?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So once again we seem to be making moves in teams. What is that now? Like 3 new pickups in 2 months?

F150 lease goes through I guess mid May 2019? Wife's van and LR each have 3 years left, I believe.

• Options
    My mortgage has about 28.5 years left; does that count? Of course, the interest is tax-deductible!
  • Options
    andres3 said:

My mortgage has about 28.5 years left; does that count? Of course, the interest is tax-deductible!

Well... it is for now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator