Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    corvette said:

fintail said:

Uber Select could probably be quite profitable in the right area. Find a discounted damaged title car of the right year, and go to work - a few rides a day could be an OK income.

I think they used to ban cars that had ever been announced at auction as having frame damage, which would rule out a lot of cars with a bad Carfax. And I don't think they will allow salvage/rebuilt cars.
    In San Francisco and other locations Uber uses a large rental fleet for their driver's. They aren't using their personal cars.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,939

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,295

suydam said:

Uber Select could probably be quite profitable in the right area. Find a discounted damaged title car of the right year, and go to work - a few rides a day could be an OK income.

I think they used to ban cars that had ever been announced at auction as having frame damage, which would rule out a lot of cars with a bad Carfax. And I don't think they will allow salvage/rebuilt cars.

In San Francisco and other locations Uber uses a large rental fleet for their driver's. They aren't using their personal cars.

I know that's true for Uber Black and maybe some of the UberX cars, but when my ex and I were in SF a few weeks ago, we rode in a ratty old Escape and a ratty old MK4 Jetta wagon. Those couldn't have been fleet cars. 
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,706

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Tomorrow is the big day! Going to pick up my new toy if all goes well. 
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,659
    corvette said:

And you still haven't shared with us what it is.

Shame on you...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Michaell said:

And you still haven't shared with us what it is.

Shame on you...

I'm a dark, mysterious person...
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,242
    I'm guessing a Honda. Lawnmower.
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @corvette nice nice! cant wate to hear all about it tomero night! good luck hoping all gos whell!
  • Options
    @stickguy nice nice nice right up on all the cars you did see at the auto mall! Keep them cumming!
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,155
    Segment is a bit short on details. I wonder what remains as originally delivered.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    @rayainsw nice nice thanks for posting that article! injoyed reading it very interesting.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    rayainsw said:
    Ah, I see, it's the turbo engine. If that were the 1976 2.7, it'd be more like 72,500 miles if you were lucky.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    The more subtle colors suit the overstylized Civic.  Couple Si's in the showroom.  

The sedan looks better in person than I previously thought.

And I put my name on the list for a Type R.  Not that it really means anything - it's just so they'll communicate with me on incoming stock.  They have 8 $1k deposits right now with a couple coming in a week or two.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    @breld boath very nice cars. is the first one black? keep on posting any mor dealer visits you do do today or tomero with the gang or bye your selfe!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    @breld, WHAT are you doing in a dealership? LOL
  • Options

@breld boath very nice cars. is the first one black? keep on posting any mor dealer visits you do do today or tomero with the gang or bye your selfe!

Yup, that first one is a black sedan. No more visits today - I had a two hour break between boys baseball games so, why not visit a dealership?

• Options
    This just rolled into my driveway. I feel like I didn't keep the Yukon long enough since I dumped it due to all the problems it had. This is a late build 2009 that is supposed to have a more robust transmission. It also has lower miles. Fingers crossed! 

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    corvette said:

This just rolled into my driveway. I feel like I didn't keep the Yukon long enough since I dumped it due to all the problems it had. This is a late build 2009 that is supposed to have a more robust transmission. It also has lower miles. Fingers crossed! 

Is that the Murano in the back? Looks like a go-kart size compared to the Chevy.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

Is that the Murano in the back? Looks like a go-kart size compared to the Chevy.
    Yes, it is. There's a large difference in height and width. The Tahoe fits in the garage, even without power folding mirrors, so that's a plus!

I have a hard time telling the difference in size between a Murano and Rogue--they look a lot alike on the outside.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,482
    Ooooo - that's a Z71, right?

nice truck!  My best friend had an '09 and an '11.  My Dad had a '10 & an '11.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @corvette Congrats! Is the Murano going away?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    So.. I have a punch. Almost made me late for dinner reservations. I pick it up on Monday, but it's mine, as of today.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited June 2017
    kyfdx said:

@corvette Congrats! Is the Murano going away?

Thanks. Maybe, it seems superfluous, but I'm going to hang on to it a little while until I'm comfortable that there are no major issues with the Tahoe. It drives really well, but it's definitely a truck. The potholes on I-71 through Ohio were brutal. I think the air suspension in the Yukon Denali helped out quite a bit with the trucklike ride.

nyc, yes, it's a Z71. The only things I will really miss compared to the Denali are the heated seats and the large nav display that showed the backup cam (the Tahoe has a backup cam, but it's a tiny screen in the rearview).
  • Options
    Ok ky, what is it?

• Options
    @corvette congrads on the new SUV good luck with it. so what year was the GMC you used to have with sum problems just wondering. how menny miles wher on the old one. and now on the one you just got now.
  • Options
    @kyfdx so what is the new adishian to the fleat? congrads on it and good luck with it!
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413
    @corvette congrats!  I love those trucks. 

@kyfdx do tell!
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Go figure! @breld had time today, went to a dealer, and came hope empty handed.

Congrats on the (soon to be revealed) punch, @kyfdx

@corvette - nice rig. Let's hope this one works out better than the last one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    It's a lease... mostly for my son to drive. (On a related note, I have a '95 M3 with only 225K miles to sell).

A recent conversation in this discussion got me thinking about it, and a cheap lease ad in the paper sent us out looking, yesterday. The payment, relative to MSRP, was too cheap to pass up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    @kyfdx very nice! what brand of car is it? and moddle?
  • Options
    Good Ky. I'm a big fan of that approach now in the right situation.

• Options
    @kyfdx - hmmm, I wonder what brand it is....

Got contacted yesterday by the daughter of a friend. She's looking to lease a Chevy Cruze sedan and had some questions. Her problem is she drives more than 15,000 miles per year, so it will cost her to have those extra miles on the lease.

She isn't pulling the trigger for another week or two, but I did suggest there might be some screaming deals this coming holiday weekend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Sorry.. got sidetracked.

Ad in the paper for local dealer was for Tacoma 4X4 pickup (model 7594) for $249/mo. with $0 down, just tax, registration and doc fees extra. (36/12). Generic picture of Access Cab pickup. So, I'm figuring 4 cylinder stripper, but still interested, due to low price. 4X4 Tacomas start around $25K, so if the deal is real, it's fair.

So, look at the bottom for the fine print. It's a USBank lease, which is weird, because Tacomas already have really high residuals through TFS. And, there is more info. CAP cost of $31,967 and residual of $25,XXX. Wow.. not a $25K truck. Look up model 7594. It's a Double Cab SR V-6 model 4X4! This dealer only has one of them, and it stickers for $32,XXX. The residual is 80%!!! for 36/12.

I'm thinking..that can't be right.. so, I dig out the USBank residual chart, and sure enough, that's correct. By comparison, TFS residual for the same truck is 72%. Scanning down the chart, notice the Double Cab V-6 Sport 4X4 with manual transmission residual is 82%! Started doing some math, and figure I could match the price of the ad model on a Sport, even though it stickers for close to $36K.

Five local Toyota dealers. Between them, they have five of the ad cars, and four of the Sport/stick models. I have a couple of hours to kill, so my son and I head for the closest dealer.

They have one Sport/stick model in Blazing Blue. (it's a truck lease.. color is meh, but we could live with it). $35,763 MSRP.
    Took a test drive... No issues. Has tonneau cover (3 section flip back kind) and tow package, and winter mat kit. Those are the only options. Comes standard with NAV, Entune, backup camera, power windows. lock, keyless entry, etc..cloth interior. Manual seats. LED parking lights. Locking tailgate.

I don't have all of the USBank lease info, but I have a good ballpark figure in mind. First offer from them is $297/mo. including tax (6% on payment), with just first payment + $362 fees upfront.

I tell them I'm looking for $250/mo.+tax... and, the answer is yes.

Final deal is $265/mo, with $627 due at signing for 36/12 lease.
    MSRP $35,763, and sale price of about $34,500.

So, they didn't even have to give it away.. money factor turned out to be .00135, which I think included a small markup, but at that monthly, I'm not complaining.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,155
    edited June 2017
    Wow, those residuals are nuts. It's almost like a free truck. The cult of Tacoma works to your advantage. Congrats!

Just looked - up here that truck would be almost $600 Cdn a month incl taxes on a 3 year lease.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Wow wow. I'm almost inclined to go shopping...
  • Options
    @kyfdx nice screaming deal your son got nice nice good luck to him! Coler sounds nice to!
  • Options
    Any idea what the residual is 36/12 for a Sport Double Can automatic?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,003

kyfdx said:

Sorry.. got sidetracked.

Ad in the paper for local dealer was for Tacoma 4X4 pickup (model 7594) for $249/mo. with $0 down, just tax, registration and doc fees extra. (36/12). Generic picture of Access Cab pickup. So, I'm figuring 4 cylinder stripper, but still interested, due to low price. 4X4 Tacomas start around $25K, so if the deal is real, it's fair.

So, look at the bottom for the fine print. It's a USBank lease, which is weird, because Tacomas already have really high residuals through TFS. And, there is more info. CAP cost of $31,967 and residual of $25,XXX. Wow.. not a $25K truck. Look up model 7594. It's a Double Cab SR V-6 model 4X4! This dealer only has one of them, and it stickers for $32,XXX. The residual is 80%!!! for 36/12.

I'm thinking..that can't be right.. so, I dig out the USBank residual chart, and sure enough, that's correct. By comparison, TFS residual for the same truck is 72%. Scanning down the chart, notice the Double Cab V-6 Sport 4X4 with manual transmission residual is 82%! Started doing some math, and figure I could match the price of the ad model on a Sport, even though it stickers for close to $36K.

Five local Toyota dealers. Between them, they have five of the ad cars, and four of the Sport/stick models. I have a couple of hours to kill, so my son and I head for the closest dealer.

They have one Sport/stick model in Blazing Blue. (it's a truck lease.. color is meh, but we could live with it). $35,763 MSRP.
    Took a test drive... No issues. Has tonneau cover (3 section flip back kind) and tow package, and winter mat kit. Those are the only options. Comes standard with NAV, Entune, backup camera, power windows. lock, keyless entry, etc..cloth interior. Manual seats. LED parking lights. Locking tailgate.

I don't have all of the USBank lease info, but I have a good ballpark figure in mind. First offer from them is $297/mo. including tax (6% on payment), with just first payment + $362 fees upfront.

So, they didn't even have to give it away.. money factor turned out to be .00135, which I think included a small markup, but at that monthly, I'm not complaining.

Oh sure, NOW you tell me! Haha

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    @corvette and @kyfdx, congrats and the best with your new punches!
  • Options
    Wow. I would have taken that deal.

• Options
    Congrats @kyfdx!  Sounds like an unbelievable deal!  And you think that blue is "meh?"  That'd be one of my top choices!   :)

• Options
    Agree on the color. That or gray. 
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,242
    That's insane. I don't need a truck, but maybe I do. I'd be fine with blue, too.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,420
    kyfdx said:

Sorry.. got sidetracked.

Wow- I'd almost go or that!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    corvette said:

Loved that gen of Tahoe. The one I had never had one issue....not one!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    kyfdx....holy cannoli. Screaming deal. I like those Tacomas, too. Way to go. Nice truck. Need pics.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,575
    @corvette very nice ride, enjoy!

@kyfdx - that's an insane deal, quite literally too good to pass up...and 82% residua?? I've never heard of any being in the 80's. Enjoy the new ride.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP