Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,741
    xwesx said:

Michaell said:

@nyccarguy - glad you had a great trip.

I still think it's funny that you drove three states over (NY, NJ, PA) to do this.

Do you know how long I'd have to drive to cover three states from my home state? Heck, in two directions (north and south), I'd run out of states first.

West takes me to CA; east puts me in Illinois or Kentucky.

Perspective, good sir. Perspective. I shall leave it at that. :p
    Fair enough.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2017

I think this article was maybe right before the car was updated with a new engine (2.4 vs 2.0), new transmission (8 speed DCT vs. 5 speed auto), more soundproofing, etc. But I'm not sure....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,597
    that ILX lease is about what I would have been looking at. Upcharge to get the Premium model (must have IMO), and scrap the money down, and looking at about $290ish with just tax, tags, doc fees down.

Lot of car for the money. We drove one. Was not bad. Great seats. But really did not do much for me, but yes would be dead stone reliable, and has lots of features. I just don't feel like owning one for 3 years. Good size though. Definitely due for an update.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,281
    edited September 2017

My wife and I talk about this all the time. We went from living in Pittsburgh where it was basically a 5-7 hour drive and we could go to Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Washington DC, NYC, etc. Now we live in Seattle where the only really reasonable driving destinations are Portland or Vancouver.

Yeah, there are a lot of places within reasonable driving distance of Louisville. Only problem is, I've been to most of them and a lot of them aren't places I want to go back to regularly.
    nyccarguy said:

There's lots within driving distance where I live. NYC (Manhattan) is 45 minutes to 1 hour away. Boston is less than 3 hours. Baltimore, DC, Philly are all within striking distance too.

I got back yesterday... Loved NYC. Not my first time in NYC, but my first time riding a subway, visiting the Met, Guggenheim, etc. The subways were surprisingly clean, I never really felt unsafe other than seeing two guys arguing on the subway. The locals seemed unfazed but I hopped off at the next stop and waited for the next train.

Baltimore was very rough by comparison. They have a nice train museum, though.
    benjaminh said:

This guy has owned his 2013 ILX since new, and has gone more 200,000 miles. The only thing beyond scheduled maintenance he's had to do is replace the starter motor at 193k miles.....

I've seen his videos before and he has a really nice garage. Looks like at least two battery replacements, probably normal for the desert heat. Batteries are "normal maintenance" but will also leave you stranded, which is really annoying. My old E39 was still ticking along on its OE battery 8+ years later, I wish you could buy an aftermarket battery that good! Heck, the Mustang appears to have its original battery, and it's 6+ years old and still tests good. Can't remember the age of the battery in the Tahoe, but it's only a few years old, and is testing around 75%. I think my battery tester considers it a failure if it's 60% or below, so I'm keeping an eye on it.
  • Options
    Yeah, the ILX really dates from about 2013, and so is a pretty old design at this point, even though it's been updated. But like the Jetta, there's only so much that can be done. Is an all-new ILX coming out in the next year? Or is this the end of the line for this model?

So how was the Elantra Sport?

Is the 2018 Accord Sport still a possibility, or given that big discounts aren't likely for maybe a month or so, is it off the list? Would you ever want to be that guy who drives one home the day it goes on sale, on Oct. 18th?
  • Options
    jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    So, after driving the 17 Accord for the past few days and 270 or so miles, I can say that I like it a lot more than my 2012. 

First, they have cut down on the road and wind noise significantly. The engine also sounds much refined. 

The car also feels noticeably quicker, despite the fact that the performance figures are similar. I guess this has something to do with the switch to direct injection, and perhaps the CVT. 

This brings me to the CVT. I actually like it much better than the 12's 5 speed conventional automatic. The 5 speed tended to hunt for gears a lot, and was never very smooth. 

Finally, I find the seats to be much more comfortable. The electronics are much more with the times, even at the end of this model's lifecycle. 

My only complaints are a bit nitpicky. The backup camera isn't clear at night. Also, only the driver window switch is auto up/down and backlit, and they now reserve the remote window down for the EX and above. Finally, they have removed the glovebox light and lock, along with the puddle lamps on the door panels. We have an 05 LX in the family, and it has all of the above. Seems strange that this would be left out on a car that stickers for only about $1,200 less than my 2012 EX-L. 

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give my thoughts. 

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Yeah, the ILX really dates from about 2013, and so is a pretty old design at this point, even though it's been updated. But like the Jetta, there's only so much that can be done. Is an all-new ILX coming out in the next year? Or is this the end of the line for this model?

So how was the Elantra Sport?

Is the 2018 Accord Sport still a possibility, or given that big discounts aren't likely for maybe a month or so, is it off the list? Would you ever want to be that guy who drives one home the day it goes on sale, on Oct. 18th?

the saleslady said (when I asked) that there were no changes of note for the 2018 ILX, due out next month (same for the RDX). She agreed that they were both overdue for a complete makeover. The RDX will absolutely continue. Not sure about the ILX, which just might get replaced by a smaller than RDX CUV model. Just my guess though.

Yes, I would be fine buying one of the first ones out. I bought very early in the new design Odyssey (2005 MY) and the 2013 RDX. And bought the 1st tC Scion in the area (definitely 1st sold by my dealer) back when they first came out. I am brave! But, as noted, pricing is not likely to support doing that with the Accord.

Elantra recap to follow.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    jeffb: The current 2013-2017 4-cylinder Accords are quicker than the last generation—by about a second. It's not just that it feels quicker. And yes, it's the direct injection that mostly goes that, although the CVT also helps. The CVT is also great for mpg. My guess is that you'll be impressed with the highway mpg in particular, which if you go 70 and don't have too many hills is often close to 40 mpg—and sometimes even above that. As you say, it's also significantly quieter than the last generation.

In terms of features they take off, you have to think about this: Honda has put in a better engine, better transmission, more tech features, more ultra-high grade steel for safety, etc., and so something has got to give. They are taking out things that aren't essential like puddle lights, the ski pass through, etc. And, just guessing here, but you probably got around $4000 off of list on the car, and so overall it was probably a pretty good deal. But you're right, it's too bad they didn't keep the auto window down thing. Seems silly to take that out.

The next Accord isn't going to have a CD player, and so the process continues. They have to take some stuff off to make the new stuff possible and still keep the car affordable.
  • Options
    So, the Elantra. Got to dealer in PA (after getting stuck in traffic on highway near us, thanks to some idiots that decided to run into each other), but arrived a few minutes early. Internet guy came out, and said hi, and turned us over to a salesman (real nice guy, very friendly. I love this dealership!) Chatted briefly, he copied license (and took info about my car in case I was about to turn it in early). Then he took us out front, where they had the car we were looking at parked right up front (I love efficiency!)

so, got a walk around. Very sharp looking, Nice style upgrades over a base model, and really sharp looking wheels. This one was silver (a brighter silver than I have now) which looked really good with the trim, grill, wheels. Not normally a color I would pick, but nice on this car. So far, so good. Opened it up, and we got in. Nice interior. Black, not ideal, but the brightwork on the dash (and screens), the red accents, etc. managed to make it not feel like a tomb. got settled, and off we went.

driving, loved it. Sounds good, pulls hard, shifts well. Ride was not bad at all, even on some pretty crappy roads. Firm but compliant and controlled, not harsh at all. Handling was excellent. Tight, grippy, quick. Stepped out nicely and really scooted on higher speed roads and merging. Seemed fine at higher speeds (briefly hit 70, where it was turning ~2,500 RPM I think. Basically felt nothing like my Sonata, in a good way!

The wife really seemed to like it (not just lip service). Found the passenger seat comfortable, and was fine with the room and stuff on it. This was a 2018 with the Premium package, so loaded (navi included, same as my Sonata, which she liked having). Did not think it was too "young" for us, so would not mind having one at all.

The only thing I found lacking was the drivers seat. It was actually comfortable and fit me OK (even without adjustable lumbar), but without power adjust, I just could not get it raked back as much as I would like. Probably could get away with it, but I had to stop and think. Other than that, loved everything about it. Even the fancier stereo cranked nicely! 2 thumbs up. It would be perfect if it had the power thrones included with the Elantra GT. Alas, there is always a gotcha.

• Options
    oh, did I buy one? Well, I offered. Still might happen. I drove their only 2018, but was negotiating on a leftover 2017 at their other location (2 hours from there I think). So was not driving out tonight regardless. They had given me a # over the phone (internet guy), which in theory included paying off my car (1 payment left). Was probably a good enough price, but a bit more than I wanted to go. did the whole "what will it take to do a deal now dance" so I said get the 2017 and knock $27 off the monthly payment, and I would sign papers now. He went off to the desk, and finally came back saying they were at bottom line. So, I left to mull it over.

I do need to check with HFS on the lease. I thought that Hyundai just waived the last payment, but dealer presented that they would cut me a check, meaning I was paying it one way or another. I'll check on that tomorrow. The deal was on a 12K lease, which based on the last one, is probably overkill! So in theory I could eat the last payment, and drop to 10K miles, and that drops payment about $20 rights there. At that point, they likely throw in the last $7 to get some of their skin in the game!

Other option of course is to wait until next week and hope that their car is still there, and Hyundai throws more money on the table to move them. If not, I move on to the 2018s of some sort. I still love the Elantra GT, and now know it would have to be a Sport (turbo version). The seats were assume. Put the sedan ones to shame for me. But not sure that is worth the likely extra coin to get that model.

I will probably just hold off. can always get a 2018 in a couple of months. Prices should come down a bit by then too.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The Chevy Volt is the same way. Loaded to the gills with every feature -- except power adjust driver seat. I REALLY miss that. OTOH I love everything else about the car and once I get it adjusted I don't really need to keep fiddling with it. Only you can decide if that's a deal breaker. Some things that seem small get MORE annoying with time, others become no big deal.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @jeffb0101 glad you are likng your new car a lot! nice rit up!
  • Options
    @stickguy nice rit up on the test drive of the GT posabal punch cumming real soon in the next few days! we shal see!
  • Options
    @corvette Welcome back! glad you liked New York a lot! and all of the other places you whent to visit to as whell!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The Elantra GT seems like a very nice ride....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1bi3QH_yl8
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    stickguy said:
    oh, did I buy one? Well, I offered. Still might happen. I drove their only 2018, but was negotiating on a leftover 2017 at their other location (2 hours from there I think). So was not driving out tonight regardless. They had given me a # over the phone (internet guy), which in theory included paying off my car (1 payment left). Was probably a good enough price, but a bit more than I wanted to go. did the whole "what will it take to do a deal now dance" so I said get the 2017 and knock $27 off the monthly payment, and I would sign papers now. He went off to the desk, and finally came back saying they were at bottom line. So, I left to mull it over. I do need to check with HFS on the lease. I thought that Hyundai just waived the last payment, but dealer presented that they would cut me a check, meaning I was paying it one way or another. I'll check on that tomorrow. The deal was on a 12K lease, which based on the last one, is probably overkill! So in theory I could eat the last payment, and drop to 10K miles, and that drops payment about $20 rights there. At that point, they likely throw in the last $7 to get some of their skin in the game! Other option of course is to wait until next week and hope that their car is still there, and Hyundai throws more money on the table to move them. If not, I move on to the 2018s of some sort. I still love the Elantra GT, and now know it would have to be a Sport (turbo version). The seats were assume. Put the sedan ones to shame for me. But not sure that is worth the likely extra coin to get that model. I will probably just hold off. can always get a 2018 in a couple of months. Prices should come down a bit by then too.
    For my own curiosity...  what were the numbers? 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    @stickguy
    so you are going Hyundai to Hyundai and they can't tale care of your existing lease for you? I find that quite suspicious. I'd be careful. A friend of mine turned his Kia in early without realizing they don't take leases back early. So now they are coming after him for nearly $5k in penalties.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @benjaminh.....I thought that the Acura 4 cyl + 8-speed dual clutch was much more suited to the ILX than the TLX. When I drove it, I thought a little less weight would serve that drivetrain well.

I bet in the ILX, it would be a real hoot.

Coming from the car(s) I came from, having a car that works like it’s supposed to is a pleasant experience that I had all but forgotten. ILX will probably prove to be quite bullet-proof.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    QB, they take it back, but I still have to make the last payment. They give me a check for it, but the $ is still buried in deal, so I am not saving anything. I thought hyundai finance waived the last payment. Plan to call and clarify.

TJC, factoring in paying off my car, with my usual $1,000 total at inception for 12k lease, were at $252/month for leftover 2017 with premium package. Pretty strong deal, MSRP was a little over 26k. Same car as a 2018 (which I drove) was $286/mo.

Deduct about $12/month to take a 10k year lease

• Options
    ILX was pretty quick I think. Good power, especially when you got revs up. 0-60 is probably in upper 6 range is my guess. Plenty Scooty enough for normal use

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,110
    stickguy said:

QB, they take it back, but I still have to make the last payment. They give me a check for it, but the $ is still buried in deal, so I am not saving anything. I thought hyundai finance waived the last payment. Plan to call and clarify.

The deal is whatever it is. The dealer here did the same thing for me on my ATS lease, which had one month left. Sent me a cheque for the pro-rated amount of the month plus 1 week that was remaining on the lease since there was no GM pull-ahead program. That was not listed anywhere on the actual sale paperwork that outlined the price I paid, etc. It was in a separate document. I'd keep those things separate in my mind in evaluating the offer.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 460
    stickguy said:

TJC, factoring in paying off my car, with my usual $1,000 total at inception for 12k lease, were at $252/month for leftover 2017 with premium package. Pretty strong deal, MSRP was a little over 26k. Same car as a 2018 (which I drove) was $286/mo.

Over 26K and no power driver's seat? I guess my Elantra knowledge is outdated. Is this not a Limited model?

2024 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

• Options
    I confirmed there is no pull ahead program. So no matter where or when I dump the car, I have to make last payment myself. Not surprised. So only $incentive then to renewing with Hyundai is saving the disposition fee which has nothing to do with dealer.

JS, I was looking at sport. mostly it is a hot rod limited, but for some reason, non power seats (though they are nice sport seats). The Elantra GT has them in power and they are fantastic.

• Options
    js06gv said:

stickguy said:

Over 26K and no power driver's seat? I guess my Elantra knowledge is outdated. Is this not a Limited model?

That is rather odd. It's the Elantra Sport model. The 2018 Accord Sport 1.5 turbo 6-speed manual is likely to have a power seat standard, and is likely to list for c. $27k—plus it will have sensing, adaptive cruise, etc. But it won't have a sound system as nice as the Elantra. And it might not have blis.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Or a moonroof. Or of course an automatic!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Was just discussing with the wife. Seriously considering, if I can find something I want as a LT keeper for a halfway manageable price, to just buy it instead. Minimal down, take the cheap 5-6 year financing. Payment won't be quite as low, but not too much more possibly. Intent to pay off a couple years early.

If nothing else, that opens up a lot of used options too! And I am sure a chill went up my wife's spine when I typed that.

Leasing sucks you in though, but the end can be a drag

• Options
    Oh, forgot to mention the big news. Paid off title to the RDX arrived in the mail yesterday. Finally own it free and clear! And the wife still likes it, so will be a keeper. Until the first time it breaks down and strands her, when it immediately becomes my car and she won't drive it any longer!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

Was just discussing with the wife. Seriously considering, if I can find something I want as a LT keeper for a halfway manageable price, to just buy it instead. Minimal down, take the cheap 5-6 year financing. Payment won't be quite as low, but not too much more possibly. Intent to pay off a couple years early.

If nothing else, that opens up a lot of used options too! And I am sure a chill went up my wife's spine when I typed that.

From my past experience, Honda usually offers low financing rates even on all new models. They don't do the 0.9, but probably c. 2% or so, which historically is still low.
  • Options
    Even 2% on a 20k loan is only about $33/month to start, and you pay close to that rate on a lease anyway.

• Options
    Maybe I should set a cap, and see what kind of CPO deal can find? 20k, with some warranty, and cheap financing? That would get payment not much different than what paying today. Hmmm.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,004
    stickguy said:

Even 2% on a 20k loan is only about $33/month to start, and you pay close to that rate on a lease anyway.

0%/72mo on BMW service loaners. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,110
    stickguy said:

That's exactly why I did what I did with the new ATS. That plus incentives on a purchase were massive in comparison to a lease.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Motoman recommends a 2-3 year old BMW over a new Elantra Sport for driving enthusiasts. But seemingly speaking from experience, he recommends an extended warranty for the BMW, and says get rid of it when it's c. 7 years old....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xHl5uqTy8I&t=223s
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,004

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:
    Pretty. Still going to be $500/month

• Options
    edited September 2017
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

0%/72mo on BMW service loaners. ;)
    Now, this is a good deal. They got any going for 30k?

Dang. Just ran numbers. $35,000 over 72 months at 0% is only $486. That's like a lease. Too bad not getting a service loaner for that? Maybe an X1?

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    stickguy said:
    QB, they take it back, but I still have to make the last payment. They give me a check for it, but the $ is still buried in deal, so I am not saving anything. I thought hyundai finance waived the last payment. Plan to call and clarify. TJC, factoring in paying off my car, with my usual $1,000 total at inception for 12k lease, were at $252/month for leftover 2017 with premium package. Pretty strong deal, MSRP was a little over 26k. Same car as a 2018 (which I drove) was $286/mo. Deduct about $12/month to take a 10k year lease
    That is a strong deal.  Pretty much mirrors mine respective to MSRP.  My car was 21ish $250 down $210 month with tax. 36/10k. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Great minds think alike. Was running a couple errands this morning, and got to thinking.

My lease ends 8/2019. The Outback will be paid off 2/2021. When my lease is up, turn it in and drive the Subaru for 18 months.

When the Outback gets paid off, look at a CPO luxury brand (MB, BMW) for me. Since there would only be one car payment, it could be higher and I could find something to keep 6-10 years.

Pretty much exactly what @stickguy is thinking, now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    I would like to not exceed the current sonata payment. But in theory, could replace the higher RDX payment instead. Still down to just one!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,448
    edited September 2017
    @stickguy - I know it's not your color, but you get 0.99% financing for 3 years & a 6 year (from original in service date) /Unlimited Mileage Warranty & motivated by a sweet 328 hp V6 (not that I'm biased or anything).

http://www.pepeinfiniti.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-INFINITI-G37_Sedan-x_AWD-White_Plains-NY/3065561213

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguy said:

I would like to not exceed the current sonata payment. But in theory, could replace the higher RDX payment instead. Still down to just one!

Think total cash flow.

If I pick up something when the Jetta lease is up, my budget will be the Jetta payment ($226/mo), maybe a little more.

If I can live with driving the Outback for 18 months - and, given how much I drive, shouldn't be too hard - then I can try to bump the budget up to $400/mo or so.

I've found a number of CPO C300 4Matics, or 320/328 xDrives in the mid 20's around Denver.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    If I bump budget to about 25k on a purchase, will save a fortune because with that many options, will never actually decide!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@stickguy - I know it's not your color, but you get 0.99% financing for 3 years & a 6 year (from original in service date) /Unlimited Mileage Warranty & motivated by a sweet 328 hp V6 (not that I'm biased or anything).

http://www.pepeinfiniti.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-INFINITI-G37_Sedan-x_AWD-White_Plains-NY/3065561213

Nice Infiniti, but way too much for a 2013.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

If I may ask, what is your current Sonata payment? And roughly how much do you plan to put down?

Like you, I have kind of a fixed goal for my monthly payment (less than $300 a month), and it hasn't changed much since I bought my first new car in 1999. So far I've always used my paid-off last car as the big downpayment on the new one. Last time, I even got them to cut me a check for $1000, and was still able to keep it under $300, but just barely. I think our current loan on my 2016 Accord EX is c. $295 a month, and I have about 3 years and 10 months left on that. Our current payment on my wife's 2013 Accord EXL-Navi is c. $290 a month, and we are down to the last 5 months on that one. We got navi for 2 cars in a row, but with AndroidAuto and google maps being so much better than Honda Navi, we'll never need to get a navi car again, which saves some money.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    My local BMW dealer has a 2014 528i xdrive for c. $26k. The original msrp on this was probably at least $50k? Seems like an ok deal, but then you have to add in the repairs, the high maintenance costs, the likely need for a new set of tires at some point, the need to buy an extended warranty, etc. Finally, the required premium gas and lower mpg is going to cost c. $50 a month more than the gas costs for regular on a new 2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T with better tech. Overall, even though on the surface it seems like you'd pay less compared to the new Accord, I really think you'd end up paying a lot more. But no doubt a BMW drives even better than an Accord Sport. And the seat comfort and sound system are no doubt better as well.

https://www.louisvillebmw.com/used-Jefferson+County-2014-BMW-5+Series-528i+xDrive-WBA5A7C5XED615591
  • Options
    The sonata is $307 including the protection plan I got suckered into. The RDX was about $435 I think. Now zero of course!

I want a lease of 225 (just because I do)). But like last time, would stretch toward $300 for a nice car. So realistically targeting $250. I only pay $1,000 at inception, total, for fees. And one problem with leasing, no down payment at the end for next car!

I would go into low 4's again, but only on a buy of something nice. Would never go nearly that high on a lease.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

The sonata is $307 including the protection plan I got suckered into. The RDX was about $435 I think. Now zero of course!

I want a lease of 225 (just because I do)). But like last time, would stretch toward $300 for a nice car. So realistically targeting $250. I only pay $1,000 at inception, total, for fees. And one problem with leasing, no down payment at the end for next car!

I would go into low 4's again, but only on a buy of something nice. Would never go nearly that high on a lease.

My guess is that you could buy a 2018 Accord Sport manual for a payment of somewhere around $425 if you put 10% down. Just a guess. But then, in 5 long years you would eventually be free of payments, but would still have the car. The 2018 Accord would probably have good resale, or alternately would have at least 5 more good years of life in it before major repairs....For resale value, and EX CVT might be easier, since almost nobody shifts for themselves these days (I myself have given it up, after being almost religious about it). But an EX would probably be about $450 a month. Again, you could get a used BMW at this price that in some ways would be more impressive, but it would also use more gas and at the end might be facing some serious repairs or maintenance.

But for $350 a month, you could probably get an Elantra Sport. But you could also get a Civic EX-Turbo for the same price, and it would get better mpg and have better resale value.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    stickguy said:

Nice Infiniti, but way too much for a 2013.
    Not bad, actually. $19.5k would be fair all around.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S