Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, all. It's the CVT model in modern streel (gray). 

@Marcothecarguy1986 , I traded in a 2012 Accord EX-L. 

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy probably good idea whats one mor munth!
  • Options
    @roadburner nice car you got in there!
  • Options
    @jeffb0101 you are welcome! nice so you had the jenaration before! good luck with this new one! like this janaration of accord the best! have to see when the new one comes out how I like it!
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

did not get a chance to look today. Too much going on here to be able to get out. Probably just going to wait it out and see what is going on a month from now. If they haven't sold out, not like the deals are going to get worse! Plus, might as well wait until 10/18 at this point to see the Accord (and likely sooner, since I know where they hide them in the back lots!)

Glad to hear you're still considering the Accord. But I'm a little puzzled by the wide range of cars you're considering. The Jetta is a basic, old, and adequate compact car that with discounts can be had for as little as $14,000. The 2018 Accord is a largish midsize car with an all-new state-of-the-art design. A 2018 Accord equipped the way you want might be as much as $28,000 if you get one of the very first ones. Twice as much money, but for a car that will be probably be about twice as good.

Have you considered something in-between, like a Mazda3? Or what about a non-GTI Golf? Or even a Passat?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,017
    Michaell said:

I could get into politics if I it meant I can drive a car like that...

And as soon as the constituency saw you driving that, you'd be out of politics in a hurry....

@kyfdx - guessing this is for a replacement for the wife's X3?
    Yeah... she has a job, so she can get a new car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,012
    yikes! $15k with over 100k miles and more than 6 days left in the auction.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,425
    Michaell said:

And as soon as the constituency saw you driving that, you'd be out of politics in a hurry....

I'm one and done after this election, so it's a moot point.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,712
    I have a lot of flexibility as to what to get. In theory we could get by with 1 car (at least temporarily), so my ideas are all over the place. All comes down to how much I want to pay.

latest idea is back to getting a Jetta AT, cheap lease, then passing it along to the daughter in May when she graduates and has to get a car anyway. At that point, I would likely just go buy what I really feel like having.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    At my local VW dealer, for just c. $3k more than a base VW Golf you can get a VW Golf Alltrack Wagon with all sorts of stuff. Amazing upgrade for the price. The guy from TestDriven TV liked the Golf Alltrack so much he said he might buy one for himself with the manual transmission....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl6V-siPHnA

Here's one in white at my local VW Dealer. It's related to the Audi wagon, but for $30k less....

$26,990
    Savings $5,003
    Bachman Sale Price $22,987
    $1000 offSell Down Special
    Sell Down Price $21,987

4Motion all wheel drive, 6-speed manual (rather than 5 with the Golf), upgraded interior and exterior features, heated seats, rear ventilation, luggage rack, 8-speaker HD radio with SiriusXM, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, 17" sport tires with upgraded alloys, fog lamps, 66.5 cubic feet of cargo with the seats down, etc., etc. For $3000 more than a base Golf? Now that is an amazing deal.

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2017-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-s-awd-station-wagon-3vwm17au9hm529252
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,425
    edited September 2017

Michaell said:

I'm one and done after this election, so it's a moot point.
    Actually, if I do get appointed all I'm going to do is add the M Performance Locking diff and maybe a Dinan Performance Tuner(+38 hp, +51 lb-ft) or Sport Tuner(+30 hp, +50 lb-ft) to my current car. Having said all that, if I didn't have my 2 Series and the Club Sport, the two BMWs I'd like to have are the 50k mile 2008 M3 we have on the CPO side and a new M Sport 330e for my commuter.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    stickguy said:

I have a lot of flexibility as to what to get. In theory we could get by with 1 car (at least temporarily), so my ideas are all over the place. All comes down to how much I want to pay.

latest idea is back to getting a Jetta AT, cheap lease, then passing it along to the daughter in May when she graduates and has to get a car anyway. At that point, I would likely just go buy what I really feel like having.

Only she'd be stuck with an out of warranty VW. Why not buy her a used, more reliable car then?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Car and Driver also likes the Alltrack....

"....an Audi badge wouldn't be out of place on the Alltrack; it’s that refined, both in interior appointments and in driving dynamics. Second, if “fun factor” ranks even a little bit as a priority, you can stop your search here. Neither Subaru has anything on the Alltrack in driving pleasure; it is entirely more enjoyable at speed than it has any right to be. And the Alltrack looks good."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-first-drive-review
  • Options
    no, she would be getting a 9 month old low mile one under warranty, with 27 cheap lease payments to go.

and I am not buying anything. This next car comes out of her pocket!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Oh. I thought you would have it for 3 years and then buy it out and give it to her. I see. Must remember to read all the words!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I rarely make much sense, so no worries there even to myself.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,714
    That's fun when you don't have real specific needs driving a car purchase. It just opens up all kinds of possibilities!

Alltrack is a good suggestion. @andres3 can weigh in on it too. There seems to be a lot of them on the VW lots from what I've seen, so maybe some good deals to be had? MQB platform, DSG trannie (or manual), AWD, plus some nice unique touches in the interior.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    all track could work for me. But will be a lot more money.

the logic now behind the Jetta actually makes sense, at least in my strange little brain. I need something, and don't want to take on any large payment now (or put a lot into a deal). My lease is done in a month anyway. The daughter's lease (well, my lease her car) runs out 7/3, which is when she starts her real job after graduation, so she needs a car, will be on a tight budget, and she is already planning to get another Jetta anyway.

so put all that together, if I can get swapped out of my car and into the new Jetta SE now, I am covered for way less than I pay now. Come July, I can sign it over to her, and she will get the car she needs for no cash outlay, sub-$200 payments, and just over 2 year commitment. At which time she would have completed her 2 year training program, and be ready for something newer and nicer.

I get cheap spare wheels until next summer, and a chance to save up funds, and can go back to shopping around Memorial day, when there should be plenty of deals to be had on the 2018s coming out soon, and I will have flexibility to buy or lease, and possibly upgrade the RDX instead.

so in effect, I would be "renting" a Jetta SE for 9 months on the cheap, and shopping for my real car at that point.

The SE is actually well equipped too. Moonroof, CarPlay, and BLIS/crosspath are all standard on it, so no penalty box.

• Options
    I did a version of that when my daughter spent a semester abroad. I sold our Mazda6 to help defray the cost of her study abroad, drove her old Camry ( which I bought used for her co,legs years) and when she came back got a cheaper used vehicle for us to help with last 2 college years. The drawback was driving an old Camry for 6 months. I think I'd rather do that than a Jetta though.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    stickguy said:

no, she would be getting a 9 month old low mile one under warranty, with 27 cheap lease payments to go.

and I am not buying anything. This next car comes out of her pocket!

The Redline review of the Jetta 1.4T said that the price was low, but otherwise his enthusiasm for the car was not high. He felt that the engine, handling, interior, etc., were all more or less so-so. For c.$14k, it's probably the best car around. And if low price is the top priority, a Jetta makes sense. As others have said, it's the last generation of VW's architecture. If you're considering the last generations of things, as you know there are great deals on the last of the current generation of the Honda Accord, which is a better car. Probably for 19k, it's possible to get an Accord LX right now. The lease offer for an LX is $189 a month, with 2k due at signing. Are the seats in the Jetta better really than the Civic's? You can lease a Civic LX for $169 a month. VW's lease offer for the Golf isn't as low, 199 plus $2400 down. Anyway, sorry to be so full of suggestions. I'm procrastinating on a project I need to get down to lol....
  • Options
    Daughter is all in on the plan. timing works out, and the $ will be perfect.

She really likes her current Jetta, and was already planning to get another one anyway. So that is good. She can live with the current model a few more years until she gets established.

I actually like it too, for an affordable car. For 9 months, of not much use, fine for me, and I can be all in shopping for a nice "keeper" car in the spring.

Now just need to get the dealer to cooperate with $ quote. if not there, I will hold off. Can always do the same thing with another car down the line too if I want.

this particular deal really is about money though!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Ok, after reading your last post I sort of finally get it about "renting" in a sense a cheap set of wheels that you then pass on to your daughter. Altogether though, your family will be still be living for 3 years with a so-so car that is really a c. 15 year old or so design, although with an up-to-date engine and interior tech. For the price, it's tough to top the Jetta. One thing I've noticed is that the initial payments for the factory-authorized VW leases are seemingly higher than for most other makes.
  • Options
    Dang! this is sweet! That dude has got to stop riding the clutch, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413
    @qbrozen - those wagons have a cult following. 
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    VW factory offer on the Jetta lease....

139 a month, but $4299 due at signing. Probably the dealer can do better with the first payment. Still, doesn't seem like much of a deal with that big first payment.

http://www.vw.com/special-offers/
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

Ok, after reading your last post I sort of finally get it about "renting" in a sense a cheap set of wheels that you then pass on to your daughter. Altogether though, your family will be still be living for 3 years with a so-so car that is really a c. 15 year old or so design, although with an up-to-date engine and interior tech. For the price, it's tough to top the Jetta. One thing I've noticed is that the initial payments for the factory-authorized VW leases are seemingly higher than for most other makes.

I agree with you, but a lot of people here really like Jettas. If it works for you, @stickguy, go for it!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,244
    I like the car itself - stupendously rare color combination, rare model. But highish mileage and not as pristine as I would like, and I know the GA climate is not easy on cars. Current bid is approaching what it is probably worth (I'd guess 20K or so).

I'd probably save up for a modern biturbo E63 wagon, if I was yearning for one.
  • Options
    Funny thing, in these devolved days, I suspect there's a large basket of people who would be devoted to a politico in a brash flashy car like it was a cult. It might not hurt him at all.
    Michaell said:

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,158
    fintail said:

I like the car itself - stupendously rare color combination, rare model. But highish mileage and not as pristine as I would like, and I know the GA climate is not easy on cars. Current bid is approaching what it is probably worth (I'd guess 20K or so).

What color is it? It appears gray over black on my screen.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Factory color name is "Teallite Blue" (per the VIN) and it has a two tone blue and black interior. I've never seen the combination in person before.
    ab348 said:

What color is it? It appears gray over black on my screen.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

The bid IMO is fair as is. $15K is all the money if you're a smart buyer, what with this mileage and year. Beyond that, I would buy an extension for my 10-foot pole.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,978
    Been watching the Mecum auction in Louisville, on right now and also last night. They had a '56 Oldsmobile 88 and it went for $10K online. Really beautiful vehicle though prefer Pontiacs from that period myself.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

Been watching the Mecum auction in Louisville, on right now and also last night. They had a '56 Oldsmobile 88 and it went for $10K online. Really beautiful vehicle though prefer Pontiacs from that period myself.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LS0917-295769/1961-pontiac-ventura-bubble-top/

I've never even seen a picture of one of these before....
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,978
    Yep, that one was pretty cool but tonight or tomorrow, will be a late 50's Bonneville going through from what I've seen in the background. Now those were very cool vehicles plus Buick's from that same time period.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    @qbrozen - those wagons have a cult following. 
     Oh, I know. Pretty much all wagons do. But there is a line between being a fan and being stupid (although blurred sometimes). I agree with shifty that i can see $15k on it. But with 6 days left, I'm sure it will go beyond that. 

• Options
    @sandman_6472 nice old cars!
  • Options
    I was thinking retail purchase price. No doubt few if any dealers out there would pay 15K for it, too much Russian roulette involved in something like that.

The bid IMO is fair as is. $15K is all the money if you're a smart buyer, what with this mileage and year. Beyond that, I would buy an extension for my 10-foot pole.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Stickguy: This review by Motor Trend of the Jetta 1.4T doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, but it's a good summary that might make for interesting reading....

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/jetta/2016/2016-volkswagen-jetta-14t-first-test-review/
  • Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    And, looks like it's going to follow us home

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,984
    edited September 2017
    Gorgeous, congrats! Very similar interior color to our new Enclave.

Broke that baby in today. Hauled a couch to my sister in laws. Swallowed it right up with the rear door closed.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Wow. Very nice. Congrats! Some quality transportation machinery!+++
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413
    Congrats @kyfdx!
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Congratulations @kyfdx!
    and enjoy !
    - Ray
    No punch here in many months ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Now, don't start congratulating me.. it's for the wife. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Congrats. I think Edmunds posters could keep a BMW dealer in business :)
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,578
    Very nice ride. Like the interior color too  B)
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    well, Jetta seems polarizing. But key for us, my daughter loves hers, and was planning to get another one anyway. She is not likely to notice any real difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 motors.

Also discussing an Elantra Sport Monday with the Hyundia guy. That is even easier to deal with, swapping the old one in since Hyundai waives everything. Daughter would like that too, and I would probably like it better during my time with it.

Possible nothing at all happens. Will have to see Monday what the #s look like.