2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    Several years ago, I visited a friend who was living there (actually living in Newport/Jersey City, but working in Manhattan) - free accommodation, why not visit. He's not a pizza person. First time there, I told him I wanted pizza. He took me to a Sbarro. He was serious.
    stickguy said:

one good thing about NYC. It is actually hard to find a bad pizza place!

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @benjaminh is your wife happy with her 2013 Acord or does she want the new one cumming out! would just change the trans flewid and cullent and keep it for now! than next year if she disides she wants the new one! than see about trading in the 2013!
  • Options
    @pensfan83 nice nice so you will have an new TLX in the garage soon!
  • Options
    @stickguy nice jag posted above
  • Options
    @corvette glad you boath had an nice time sorry was not able to make it! nother time! have an safe trip back home tomero!
  • Options
    @qbrozen quite the trip you and your son had an few years back to new York!
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,027
    stickguy said:
    A regional meet would be cool.  I know there are several of us in the northeast.  
    we should be able to pull that off, if anyone can! we actually had one many years ago. A fairly large group met up at the Philly auto show. I know Andre was there, and Grebeck. Among others.
    I was at one of our locations in your 'hood today!  

As for the auto show, as it gets closer let's do it.   There has to be close 7-8 of us or more that could pull it off. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,594

@pensfan83 following your thread on the lease board. How far apart are you?

About $500 from my target but I doubt either dealer is going to go lower. I reached out to a few dealers in the Cleveland area and one would save me $150 but by the time we drive there, pay tolls, deal with the hassle of getting the car registered and inspected in PA my time is far more valuable than $150. I would be happy if another $300 was knocked off but I don't like to make multiple offers and I was admittedly aggressive out of the gate. I think I simply misjudged how much room Acura dealers have to work with because they've all been relatively consistent at getting to the same sale price.

One already pulled the "I'm barely breaking even" card and seconds later said car sales used to be so much easier 20 years ago. I wanted to make a remark along the lines of it was easier because so few people were diligent about such a big purchase and now that they are, you actually have to work for the sale...but I refrained.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,200
    benjaminh said:

. When we got her car new, we got the extended HondaCare bumper-to-bumper warranty, which lasts until early 2021, and so it probably makes sense to keep the car until then.

Does the warranty have a pro rated refund for unused time?

Have you priced out the tires on Tire Rack or at a local store?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    andres3 said:
    And astronaut John Glenn breaks his back in his bathtub. God has a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,989
    Outstanding MB there Stick, stunning color and if it were a C250 without the all wheel drive, would be perfect for me. Still something about the 320i/328i, the CLA and the C that get a rise out of me. No matter how much I love a smallish hatchback, when I see any of these in the right configuration, I picture it in my garage as my d d. So i still look and if I happen to come upon one of these vehicles that pushes all the "right buttons", I just might have to act no matter what. Will deal with the fallout later on but am not going to pass up the perfect ride because the other half ain't happy. And luckily, I have an excellent credit score, like 825 or around there, so borrowing won't be an issue as I hate to sell good income producing assets to purchase a vehicle. Just have to find me that perfect vehicle!
    On another note, just downloaded the new IOS 11 for my iPhone and iPad and it went very well. Now I just have to study up a bit and see all the new changes I keep hearing about. Saw the new iPhone X and fell in love! The price is bat [non-permissible content removed] crazy really, so looks like I'll be waiting a year or two to trade out of my new 6S Plus I got on eBay in January. Someone was selling a brand new iPhone, never been used or registered and I won the auction in the last 1/2 second, totally blew me away as the other dude was auto raising his bid but mine happened to squeeze through at the last possible moment! Luckily I had the funds already in my PayPal account so she got paid within like 10 minutes. She sent it out on Saturday morning from a North Carolina post office and I tracked down my carrier that Monday around 5ish...she was on her way back in to the office as it needed my signature. Best move I made as I absolutely love it.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,989
    Driving from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale next month after the wedding. Will stop outside Louisville the first night, go to Nashville the next two nights and stay near Macon the last night so we should pull into Casa Sandman around 4 or so depending how early we start out. Want to see Vanderbilt while in Nashville and see what I turned down so many years ago. Grand Old Oprey(?) of course. Hear they have a nice tour of the city but any suggestions are gladly accepted. I can walk for a period of time but need to rest and sit every 1/2 hour or so depending on my pain level that day. Hoping the weather will be moderate then and not too hot or cold for that matter.
    Going to rent through Hertz but will see if they have any one-way rentals or any other vehicles that must get down south, my timing might be off by a couple of weeks though as November might be a better time to do it. I'm a Gold Member and also get a nice employee discount so should be fine. Wife wants a Mazda 3 with the safety nannies but told her that we'll probably get whatever compact size they have on their lot. But will call the office in Chicago a few days before to see if they could possibly put aside a pretty low mileage vehicle for us. We shall see how it all goes down!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,880
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

A regional meet would be cool.  I know there are several of us in the northeast.  

we should be able to pull that off, if anyone can!

we actually had one many years ago. A fairly large group met up at the Philly auto show. I know Andre was there, and Grebeck. Among others.

I was at one of our locations in your 'hood today!  

As for the auto show, as it gets closer let's do it.   There has to be close 7-8 of us or more that could pull it off. 

sounds like a plan. My wife will like it too, since she won't feel obligated to tag along!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    83, at some point, you are close enough that just gotta say uncle, and get what you want where it is convenient. I'm as frugal as they come, but still within reason! I did a few treks for a "special" deal and in the long run, was not really worth the hassle (and some of the savings got lost along the way).

next time, I really want to be pretty local, and get it where I want to service it. As long of course as they are at least darned close to the lowest price!

• Options
    @sandman_6472 sounds like a lot of fun next munth for you all! cante wate to hear all about it when you get back! and yes if that car comes along that you like you have the rite idea go for it than deal with the wife life is to short you have to be happy!
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,433
    pensfan83 said:
    @pensfan83 following your thread on the lease board. How far apart are you?
    About $500 from my target but I doubt either dealer is going to go lower. I reached out to a few dealers in the Cleveland area and one would save me $150 but by the time we drive there, pay tolls, deal with the hassle of getting the car registered and inspected in PA my time is far more valuable than $150. I would be happy if another $300 was knocked off but I don't like to make multiple offers and I was admittedly aggressive out of the gate. I think I simply misjudged how much room Acura dealers have to work with because they've all been relatively consistent at getting to the same sale price. One already pulled the "I'm barely breaking even" card and seconds later said car sales used to be so much easier 20 years ago. I wanted to make a remark along the lines of it was easier because so few people were diligent about such a big purchase and now that they are, you actually have to work for the sale...but I refrained.
    So on a lease that puts you about $15-$20 a month higher than you want, right?
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    @stickguy would be so much fun all of us meating at an auto show or sum whair elce!
  • Options
    Sandman, when you get a chance, take a look at the 2018 Elantra GT> I think it is going to be right in your wheelhouse. I really liked it a lot, and that was the base version not even the turbo sport.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,022
    I'll be in Cincinnati in a couple of weeks, but doesn't look like the schedule works out for any sort of an Edmunds meetup. Bummer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    so, had to go out tonight anyway to get dog supplies (getting another foster dog tomorrow night!) so convinced the wife to stop and give the Si another try, and go out for a drive. Thankfully the rain stopped when we got there. Had another salesdude help up (latest in a string of really young ones). Nice kid though, and very knowledgeable, which I seem to find a common occurrence now, with the really young ones knowing more about the cars. Yet I digress.

so took the same silver one out for a spin. Really is fun car. And after driving a few sticks now, I think the only one I would get is a Honda. Car is definitely quick, without being rough or too rorty. More GLI than WRX.

Discussed with wife afterwords, and she still did not find the seat comfortable. She would suck it up if I had to have it, but not really fair to her since I would want to use it for trips too. Actually, I was less impressed with the driver's seat this time. I really need a power seat to get enough cushion tilt I think.

So, back to plan A. Wait until 10/18, scope out the new Accord, and if that is the one I love, pick a model and wait out a deal. In the meantime, find a Sport Elantra GT to drive.

• Options
    so somewhat surprising to me, at the moment, the short list seems to be Elantra GT sport (which is in very short supply), and new Accord (not out for another month), along with a few cars that are well out of budget (TLX and 330i). or something used.

Good thing I don't have to do anything immediately. Could probably find a GT for when my lease is up in early November.

If I want an Accord with a stick, that would probably take a while to find (and be a lower content 1.5 sport). So most likely would be an EX CVT instead.

• Options
    @stickguy glad you got to drive that car last night and now you no no good! now yes drive the GT and see glad you are slolly shorting up the list! but shall see what you do end up getting soon! have an good day!
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,225
    Weird about the Civic Si seats. I can see less-than-good seats in the cooking-variety Civics, but you'd think for the Si they would cough up a couple of bucks for a better version.

Did you sit in a Touring model and assess (harumph) those seats? Are they like the Si versions?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,029
    stickguy said:

so somewhat surprising to me, at the moment, the short list seems to be Elantra GT sport (which is in very short supply), and new Accord (not out for another month), along with a few cars that are well out of budget (TLX and 330i). or something used.

Good thing I don't have to do anything immediately. Could probably find a GT for when my lease is up in early November.

If I want an Accord with a stick, that would probably take a while to find (and be a lower content 1.5 sport). So most likely would be an EX CVT instead.

I still prefer a stick, but given the awful traffic I commute in, totally stop and go I will stick (sorry pun intended) with an automatic. This is where the CVT is really smooth.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,594
    @stickguy - I'm at that point. My wife and I discussed this morning and she thinks it's a good deal and we should take it, especially since I have to turn my car in no later than 3 weeks from today.

@28firefighter - That's about right, nothing that will break the bank if I miss out and why I'm not going to ask anyone to go back to their manager with hat in hand again. After thinking about this overnight it's probably as good a deal as one would expect this early in the model year.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ThecSi seats are very good sports seats, but just too much so for her (with the bolstering). I mostly needed more front cushion tilt.

The regular civic exl and touring get power, but we found the seat cushions way too short.

Yes, I am very particular about seats!

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,625
    fintail said:

I'll be in Austria that weekend, woe is me B)

Maybe a Seattle auto show meetup?

I'd be up for that!

Funny, I'm in Zurich right now. It feels like November here this week.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    Michaell said:

I'll be in Cincinnati in a couple of weeks, but doesn't look like the schedule works out for any sort of an Edmunds meetup. Bummer.

Top bad....I would have met you at a really good rib place. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Ribs... yum! 

• Options

Michaell said:

Argh. One of my co-workers is flying in ahead of me, and is meeting me at the airport (I've reserved the rental car). Then, likely to have to head back to the airport later that day to pick up the 3rd member of our party.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,017
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Argh. One of my co-workers is flying in ahead of me, and is meeting me at the airport (I've reserved the rental car). Then, likely to have to head back to the airport later that day to pick up the 3rd member of our party.
    Have they ever heard of Uber or a taxi?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Have they ever heard of Uber or a taxi?
    Yes, but I don't think I should ignore them to meet up with my second job friends ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    October has rolled into the PNW this week, but I think it is looking nicer for the weekend. I remember having pretty good luck with weather in central Europe, I think by November it is nicer there than here.
    tifighter said:

• Options
    fintail said:

October has rolled into the PNW this week, but I think it is looking nicer for the weekend. I remember having pretty good luck with weather in central Europe, I think by November it is nicer there than here.

tifighter said:

We should see our first taste of fall this weekend, in Colorado - temps in the 50's and low 60's.

Although, there has already been snow in the higher altitudes - last weekend there was snow at the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    We had fall late August/early September. Back to low to mid 80s now for next week or so. Right after we finally closed he pool.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,426
    stickguy said:
    We had fall late August/early September. Back to low to mid 80s now for next week or so. Right after we finally closed he pool.
    Same here. 2 weeks of nice temps, low 80s and mid 70s and overnight lows that touched the 50s. This week back to upper 80s and low 90s in a few spots. And yes, they closed my neighborhood pool last weekend 

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,058
    Saw leaves on the ground this morn. Yikes.

I'm trying to hold off closing the pool. Was told the longer we wait, the cleaner it will be when we reopen in the Spring.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    We had a pool growing up.  It was always closed by now. 

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,433
    Our pool growing up was always closed right after labor day.

My parents, in an effort to downsize, bought a house exactly the same size with an indoor pool. :'(
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,864
    Leaves are nearly gone from our trees. The weather, while not stellar, has been rather decent for this time of year. No frost yet at our house, which means we have had at least three extra frost-free weeks than are typical. However, it was a scant 37F this morning, so frost is coming!!!!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 618
    Late August and early September were chilly, but we have had a great stretch of warm weather the last 12 days. We tied a record high in Burlington, VT this already this week and more records are expected to be broken the next few days. I've been swimming in Lake Champlain every day since May, and as long as the weather holds, I may be able to keep at it!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,625
    I'll be up in the Alps over the weekend, and the evening temps are below freezing already at relatively low altitudes. They had some snow last week. Isn't it still technically summer?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,513
    Regarding traveling with colleagues (or anyone else) -- the complexity of anything (this especially includes family "vacations") is directly proportional to the square of the number of people involved. Then there are adders for babies and people who need walkers.

This is why I prefer to travel alone. That's what we call a "one" factor.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,513
    edited September 2017
    tifighter said:

I'll be up in the Alps over the weekend, and the evening temps are below freezing already at relatively low altitudes. They had some snow last week. Isn't it still technically summer?

I love driving in the Alps, but the season is nearing an end. Fortunately in Switzerland there are car-carrying trains that allow travel when the high passes are closed, but it's still a bit early for that. I was disappointed in late October a few years ago.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,349
    edited September 2017
    Since we were talking about the gourmet pizza from Sbarro... Let me guess... Tony Roma's?  :p
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,225
    The weather has been surprisingly good here in Nova Scotia. Today we had a bit of the east coast rain from the remnants of Hurricane Jose but really nothing much. The next week is supposed to be great.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I think summer ends Friday :)

I remember being in Switzerland in early November several years ago. We went up to Pilatus, where there was plenty of snow, but just cool and damp (Seattle-ish) at the surface.
    tifighter said:

• Options
    @pensfan83 nice nice so you will have an nice new car bye the weekend nice nice! lollol
  • Options
    @stickguy good to be pertickuler on your seets in an car and the car as an hole!
  • Options
    @stickguy same weather as you and menny others in hear!