2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    edited September 2017
    I don't want to hear about winter coming. The end of the month starts the monsoon season here and we aren't likely to see sunny weather again until May.
    Well, that's just an awful thought. :'(

You know it's awful when they make it a point to tell you on the weather report in early spring that we had 165 straight days of measurable precipitation.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,018
    0patience said:

I don't want to hear about winter coming. The end of the month starts the monsoon season here and we aren't likely to see sunny weather again until May.
    Well, that's just an awful thought. :'(

You know it's awful when they make it a point to tell you on the weather report in early spring that we had 165 straight days of measurable precipitation.

I was on the Oregon Coast on the 10th, and it was 72 F and sunny!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited September 2017
    kyfdx said:

That was last week.
    Wait, Saturday was the Rod Run in Long Beach and it rained all day.
    Or maybe that was the weekend before.
    This week, rain, tornado and thunder storms.
    Next week, some sunshine and then that's probably all we'll get this year.

And where at on the coast?
    I'm on the North coast. In fact, you can't get any more north than here.
    Ok, maybe a mile or so, you can still go north. LOL!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    0patience said:

kyfdx said:

That was last week.
    Wait, Saturday was the Rod Run in Long Beach and it rained all day.
    Or maybe that was the weekend before.
    This week, rain, tornado and thunder storms.
    Next week, some sunshine and then that's probably all we'll get this year.

And where at on the coast?
    I'm on the North coast. In fact, you can't get any more north than here.
    Ok, maybe a mile or so, you can still go north. LOL!

We came out hwy 26 (?) from Portland, then turned South, through Cannon Beach, all the way down to Tillamook.
    Two Sundays ago

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

We came out hwy 26 (?) from Portland, then turned South, through Cannon Beach, all the way down to Tillamook.
    Two Sundays ago

Yep, that's my area.
    I cover the NW corner of Oregon for work.
    I travel Hwy 26, Hwy 101, Hwy 30 and multiple other smaller highways taking care of equipment and vehicles.
    From Wheeler to Westport and almost to Sunset summit on Hwy 26.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,880
    I strangely really like this one. especially the interior. Benjamin would probably have a stroke looking at those blind spots though. Form over function, since would be a lot nicer with windows instead of huge sail panels.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/09/volvo-xc40-marks-automakers-entry-compact-crossover-segment.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    No faux-floating C-pillar cliche, but I do have to wonder about the reason for the beltline upkick in the rear door. Anything to be different, and to give bigger blindspots to a driving demographic who needs them least.
  • Options
    got an actual price quote today. Went slightly off script for a compromise, between what I want and what I want to pay. 2017 ILX premium. I always have liked these, once they put the bigger motor in. and that model has the features I want. Was trying for a "take my car off my hands and I'll take yours" deal, but the dealer was not really interested, so they (in theory) kicked money in for the last payment. But, would still need to make it, and do/pay for the lease turn in. So really eliminates a big part of the reason I would look to do something early!

first pencil was probably not too bad I guess. MSRP is $30,930, and was quoted $284/month all in, with $624 at inception to drive off. That includes doc fee ($299 I think), tags, and tax (with excess rolled into the payment).

Not sure yet worth pursuing (and am hitting up my local dealer, since this one was 1.5 hours away or so) to see what they could do. I was thinking more like $250 and they take care of making my current car go away, but I could be delusional.

• Options
    Volvo has long since abandoned the function/safety over form mantra (at least when it comes to passive safety as in visibility.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,339
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

got an actual price quote today. Went slightly off script for a compromise, between what I want and what I want to pay. 2017 ILX premium. I always have liked these, once they put the bigger motor in. and that model has the features I want. Was trying for a "take my car off my hands and I'll take yours" deal, but the dealer was not really interested, so they (in theory) kicked money in for the last payment. But, would still need to make it, and do/pay for the lease turn in. So really eliminates a big part of the reason I would look to do something early!

first pencil was probably not too bad I guess. MSRP is $30,930, and was quoted $284/month all in, with $624 at inception to drive off. That includes doc fee ($299 I think), tags, and tax (with excess rolled into the payment).

Not sure yet worth pursuing (and am hitting up my local dealer, since this one was 1.5 hours away or so) to see what they could do. I was thinking more like $250 and they take care of making my current car go away, but I could be delusional.

An ILX?? No! That's a fancy last-generation Civic with an engine from the Accord. For gosh sakes, man, get a grip. If you're going Honda/Acura, get a Civic EXL (have you tried one of those), a TLX, or an Accord (either huge money off on a 2017, or just a little off on the 2018). I really think you should wait for the new Accord. Honda has probably spent more than $4+ billion dollars to make a better midsize car. Toyota has spent an equivalent amount to make a better 2018 Camry. To buy the last generation of either car at this point doesn't seem like a good idea imho.
  • Options

An ILX?? No! That's a fancy last-generation Civic with an engine from the Accord. For gosh sakes, man, get a grip. If you're going Honda/Acura, get a Civic EXL (have you tried one of those), a TLX, or an Accord (either huge money off on a 2017, or just a little off on the 2018). I really think you should wait for the new Accord. Honda has probably spent more than $4+ billion dollars to make a better midsize car. Toyota has spent an equivalent amount to make a better 2018 Camry. To buy the last generation of either car at this point doesn't seem like a good idea imho.
  • Options

• Options
    If you could take the seats and safety gear out of the Acura and plug it into the Civic, I would! They are nice cars though. Would be a financial decision. Better than getting a stipped out Jetta just because the lease payment was low.

Don't worry, most likely the flight of fancy will pass. I have decided against the civic, and just can't warm myself up to a V6 Accord leftover.

I know what I want (kinda). Just not going to fit into the budget. and figuring out plan B is tough!

right now though I still really like the Elantra GT. That is also a brand new model out, so no worries there.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stickguy said:

I strangely really like this one. especially the interior. Benjamin would probably have a stroke looking at those blind spots though. Form over function, since would be a lot nicer with windows instead of huge sail panels.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/09/volvo-xc40-marks-automakers-entry-compact-crossover-segment.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What's this all about?

"With the XC40, Volvo is also rolling out a new program called “Care by Volvo”, which charges users a monthly fee for Volvo to take care of the maintenance, insurance, wear and tear and protection services for the vehicle. It also allows them to upgrade to a new car as early as 12 months after the initial purchase."

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,864
    Sounds like the cell phone model applied to cars, plus a little extra incentive to push folks to try it. If you can keep people paying you forever, you win.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,734
    stickguy said:

If you could take the seats and safety gear out of the Acura and plug it into the Civic, I would! They are nice cars though. Would be a financial decision. Better than getting a stipped out Jetta just because the lease payment was low.

Don't worry, most likely the flight of fancy will pass. I have decided against the civic, and just can't warm myself up to a V6 Accord leftover.

I know what I want (kinda). Just not going to fit into the budget. and figuring out plan B is tough!

right now though I still really like the Elantra GT. That is also a brand new model out, so no worries there.

GTI...GTI...GTI... :)

Not sure how the lease deals are on them, but with the kind of discounts they are offering on new purchases, I would think the lease has to be somewhat strong. Though I suppose you have to wait for the new SE model to get the sunroof AND plaid seats. But if you can live with the leatherette, you can probably score a good deal on a leftover 2017.

I was actually just looking at the Hyundai site yesterday and thought the Elantra GT looks real nice. Definitely some nice features included, and should be pretty fun and quick with the 1.6l turbo.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2023 A6 Allroad - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,477
    A GTI Sport with three pedals would look VERY good to me if I was looking for a hot hatch; my local VW dealers have at around $5,700 off MSRP.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

stickguy: I forget, have you tried a Civic with leather seats? If not, perhaps worth trying. If the Civic is like the Accord, the leather seats aren't just covered in different material, they are altogether more comfortable.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,023
    "With the XC40, Volvo is also rolling out a new program called “Care by Volvo”, which charges users a monthly fee for Volvo to take care of the maintenance, insurance, wear and tear and protection services for the vehicle. It also allows them to upgrade to a new car as early as 12 months after the initial purchase."

Wondered when someone would try the subscription model to cars....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Leather gets power but cushion still too short.

I forgot other part of ILX plan if I get cheap. Next year, can flip it to the princess and start over!

I debate the GTI. Would still have to dispose of my car myself. And the SE seems quite rare now and no roof on the sport. Maybe I should go back over, or wait until year end for big discounts when 2018s not selling!

• Options
    The Elantra GT is very nice. And great seats!

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,798
    edited September 2017
    I will say this, VW 2.0T at 220 HP vs. 1.6T up-tuned to 200 HP, advantage VW in a big way. Not just for power either, total package.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,226
    Yeah, I don't think you can really compare a GTI to an Elantra GT. As we talked about here last week, the feel of the two would be very different. Some may like one, some would prefer the other. I suspect the two are not fungible.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Drive feel is always personal preference, but these 2 are not as far off as you might think. The Elantra also has an interior that could pass for something from Audi.

Ultimate performance might be 90% or some such, so up to you to decide how important the delta is, and in relation to the total package.

• Options
    I think the residual is too low to make that happen.

Getting close to a nice deal, if that's the car you want.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @0patience welcome to the group!
  • Options
    @stickguy that valvo that is cumming out soon is not bad!
  • Options
    @stickguy cool on the ILX see what your local dealer can do for you if you like that car all that matters!
  • Options
    forgot to rite yesterday we also used to have an above ground pool growing up was closed rite after laber day think was uncovered in first week of june!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,864
    Personal swimming pools seem like such a crazy concept to me. I lived on a ranch next to a creek for part of my childhood, so that was our "pool." I cannot even begin to count the number of hours we spent down there. However, a swimming pool would not have nearly the same draw.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,226
    stickguy said:

Drive feel is always personal preference, but these 2 are not as far off as you might think. The Elantra also has an interior that could pass for something from Audi.

Ultimate performance might be 90% or some such, so up to you to decide how important the delta is, and in relation to the total package.

My reference to "feel" was more of a German car vs Asian car thing. I find most people are in one camp or the other.

The Elantra GT interior I saw did not remind me at all of an Audi, in fact I was not impressed with it, but I didn't spend any time in it either.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

My reference to "feel" was more of a German car vs Asian car thing. I find most people are in one camp or the other.

The Elantra GT interior I saw did not remind me at all of an Audi, in fact I was not impressed with it, but I didn't spend any time in it either.

If anything, the Elantra GT interior reminds me a lot of the Mazda3. Which is a compliment.

Overall, I like how Hyundai seems to be returning to sharper lines and creases. The swoopier look and curves were effective in catching people's eyes, and now that they have caught the consumers' eyes, they are churning out some designs that are a bit more timeless.

• Options
    Come to think of it @stickguy, why isn't the Mazda3 (or 6) on the list?

• Options
    the one thing that surprised me about the GT was how roomy it was, for the length. Advantage to being nice and square. Good windows too, but the cargo area is tall and quite roomy, and I fit just fine in the back seat. Same shape as the GTI, just a bit longer I think at 170". Perfect size really, and amazing how much utility you get out of a box, compared to some of the swoopy, overstyled cars out now. especially in the hatch area.

• Options
    @graphicguy - one of my friends texted me this morning about what he wants his next car to be - a Red over Red TLX Aspec.

They have an RDX now, and he's admired the TLX for awhile. He's always in search of a good red for his next car. I texted him the pics that you shared of yours so he could see one "in the wild."

• Options
    stickguy said:

the one thing that surprised me about the GT was how roomy it was, for the length. Advantage to being nice and square. Good windows too, but the cargo area is tall and quite roomy, and I fit just fine in the back seat. Same shape as the GTI, just a bit longer I think at 170". Perfect size really, and amazing how much utility you get out of a box, compared to some of the swoopy, overstyled cars out now. especially in the hatch area.

What is the base engine in the E-GT?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    breld said:

The attention the Type R receives continues to surprise me...

Over the lunch hour today, a Challenger comes up next to me on the interstate - it stops short of passing, so I look over and there are two younger guys in it who give me a thumbs up before speeding off.

Then on the way home, in stop and go traffic, an M4 comes up next to me and honks their horn. So I roll down my window and the driver exclaims that he really loves the car. I smile and kindly offer to make a straight up trade for his BMW, but he laughed and said, "uh...no."

Most of you haven't actually met me in person, but if you did you'd know I'm a conservative person and driver. But this is fun.

Ok, that is funny. Would you have taken the M4?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

Over the lunch hour today, a Challenger comes up next to me on the interstate - it stops short of passing, so I look over and there are two younger guys in it who give me a thumbs up before speeding off.

Then on the way home, in stop and go traffic, an M4 comes up next to me and honks their horn. So I roll down my window and the driver exclaims that he really loves the car. I smile and kindly offer to make a straight up trade for his BMW, but he laughed and said, "uh...no."

Most of you haven't actually met me in person, but if you did you'd know I'm a conservative person and driver. But this is fun.

HECK YES.

I'm no dummy.

• Options
    On the Civic forums I frequent, there are quite a few who smartly point out that with some of the crazy markups on the Type R, one could get a nice M240i or even push the budget a bit for an M2 (that's compared to some of the earlier, crazy markups of $20k or so). One person actually did buy an M2 after getting tired of waiting.

• Options
    breld said:

Michaell said:

breld said:

HECK YES.

I'm no dummy.
    Well, the M4 does have more subdued styling, that's for sure.

:sunglasses:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @xwesx sounds cool and nice swimming in the creek would probably like that a lot mor than an old swimming pool! injoy your day!
  • Options
    @breld wow nice nice car you don't see everyday! injoy your day!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    This is a mostly positive review of the ILX. And so probably my not-so-kind words about the car were overdone. He calls it a "mini TLX"....They are certainly selling them with big discounts, and so it's probably a good deal at this point. And in terms of reliability, it would likely be better than a VW over the long term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBYDmbYxZM
  • Options
    happy Friday all! hope that everyone had an good week! have an good upcumming weekend all! anyone doing any car looking! might go and help out my aunt lees on there car is up in feb so they might go with an nother ford or maby Honda pilet told them to look at all of there options and not jump to quickly!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    breld said:

@graphicguy - one of my friends texted me this morning about what he wants his next car to be - a Red over Red TLX Aspec.

They have an RDX now, and he's admired the TLX for awhile. He's always in search of a good red for his next car. I texted him the pics that you shared of yours so he could see one "in the wild."

Ain’t many around in red on red, that’s for sure. I think I read somewhere that color combo has the smallest production numbers.

Tell him I love mine!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,426
    stickguy said:
    got an actual price quote today. Went slightly off script for a compromise, between what I want and what I want to pay. 2017 ILX premium. I always have liked these, once they put the bigger motor in. and that model has the features I want. Was trying for a "take my car off my hands and I'll take yours" deal, but the dealer was not really interested, so they (in theory) kicked money in for the last payment. But, would still need to make it, and do/pay for the lease turn in. So really eliminates a big part of the reason I would look to do something early! first pencil was probably not too bad I guess. MSRP is $30,930, and was quoted $284/month all in, with $624 at inception to drive off. That includes doc fee ($299 I think), tags, and tax (with excess rolled into the payment). Not sure yet worth pursuing (and am hitting up my local dealer, since this one was 1.5 hours away or so) to see what they could do. I was thinking more like $250 and they take care of making my current car go away, but I could be delusional.
    That's sounds like a fairly solid deal. Would need to know the selling price of course to say for sure. I like the ILX. Not big sellers as someone mentioned and while it means good discounts, there's not much color combo selection in my area. You've got nothing to lose so push hard for the deal you want. I'd think you could get this dealer to swap keys at this number or just a bit below.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Good things about the Acura ILX from my pov....

-An Acura for almost the price of a loaded Civic
    -Should be quite reliable
    -Since it now has the TLX engine and transmission, it'll be a good performer
    -Good rear visibility lol!
    -Longer warranty than most non-luxury cars (except for Hyundai/Kia)
    -Resale value should be fairly good
    -Nice quality for the price. A little bit of luxury.

But, for close to the same price you could get an all-new 2018 Accord in about a month. But, obviously, they won't be as desperate to deal.
  • Options
    Michael, the base GT has a 2.0l NA 4 with about 162 HP.

came up with another scheme this morning, thanks to an email from the VW dealer. Cheap lease offer on a Jetta SE 5 speed. Paying just the usual tax/DMV at inception (rolling in 1st and bank fee), would be looking at about $185 or so. Cheap, as am I!

hits the hot buttons. fun manual trans (just like the GLI!). Moonroof, carplay and BLIS, so meets the minimum requirements for sub-$200. Pretty spritely with that powertrain, and rated for high MPG. could be a nice interim car. Assuming can convince the wife to get a Jetta.

of course does not eliminate the overlap with my current ride, but can't have anything!