2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,880
    well, the Jetta will drive just like a slightly slower GLI with a bit softer suspension, so not too worried there. would have to go drive it of course, and see if any gotchas in the fine print. maybe this afternoon.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,018
    Possibly. Considered a Jetta Wolfsburg around the same time as the Impreza. That year came with the same 2.0 litre turbo as the GLI. But, with DSG transmission. Turns out they had the transmission tuned for crappy performance. Seemed like half the car for 95% of the price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,339
    edited September 2017
    My local VW dealer has a new Jetta 1.4T for $14k. Amazing. Can't beat it at that price. But no AndroidAuto/AppleCarPlay iirc...Looks like my pathetic little attempt to convince you to get something made in the US isn't going to work out this time.

Very good rear visibility on the Jetta. Blis almost not needed.

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2017-volkswagen-jetta-1-4t-s-fwd-4dr-car-3vw167aj2hm411523
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,023
    stickguy said:

Michael, the base GT has a 2.0l NA 4 with about 162 HP.

came up with another scheme this morning, thanks to an email from the VW dealer. Cheap lease offer on a Jetta SE 5 speed. Paying just the usual tax/DMV at inception (rolling in 1st and bank fee), would be looking at about $185 or so. Cheap, as am I!

hits the hot buttons. fun manual trans (just like the GLI!). Moonroof, carplay and BLIS, so meets the minimum requirements for sub-$200. Pretty spritely with that powertrain, and rated for high MPG. could be a nice interim car. Assuming can convince the wife to get a Jetta.

of course does not eliminate the overlap with my current ride, but can't have anything!

why not roll the tax into the payment, as well?

5-speed in SE vs. 6-speed in GLI, though for all the driving you do, you likely won't miss the extra cog.

I'm bummed that they added BLIS, a sunroof and the leatherette for '17 - my '16 SE doesn't have any of those features

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    S is too stripped. The one I mentioned was SE so had an actual good equipment level.

• Options
    stickguy said:

S is too stripped. The one I mentioned was SE so had an actual good equipment level.

I couldn't live with an S, either. I do like my SE, a lot, but BLIS would have been nice. Sunroof is not a deal breaker for me (my E-GT didn't have one, either), but I do enjoy CarPlay.

I'm at 6200 miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,433
    Ouch - that is a rough review.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,477
    edited September 2017
    breld said:

On the Civic forums I frequent, there are quite a few who smartly point out that with some of the crazy markups on the Type R, one could get a nice M240i or even push the budget a bit for an M2 (that's compared to some of the earlier, crazy markups of $20k or so). One person actually did buy an M2 after getting tired of waiting.

It all depends on what you want, CAR had a hot hatch comparison test and ranked the cars as follows:

1. Focus RS
    2. M140i(hatchback sibling of the M240i)
    3. Civic Type R
    4. Leon Cupra 300(Seat cousin of the GTI)

With my RWD preference I'd rank the M140i first and the Type R second. I think I'd either get bored or break the RS. As for the Leon- who knows?
    The test can be found here.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Michaell said:
    Actually sounded good to me.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,798

breld said:

@graphicguy - one of my friends texted me this morning about what he wants his next car to be - a Red over Red TLX Aspec.

They have an RDX now, and he's admired the TLX for awhile. He's always in search of a good red for his next car. I texted him the pics that you shared of yours so he could see one "in the wild."

Ain’t many around in red on red, that’s for sure. I think I read somewhere that color combo has the smallest production numbers.

Tell him I love mine!
    If I were specing a TLX-A Spec SH-AWD (that's a mouthful), I'd choose red over red. Not many color choices at Acura....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,058
    Read a quick 1-page review on the Kia Stinger. They said 6-series gran coupe size, 0-60 in 4.9 secs, RWD, and about $40k. Could shake things up. And could be a great used car buy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    Stinger looks like a cool package, also looks way too much like a slightly modified Optima IMO.
  • Options
    I could see picking one up used for a DD.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    I like the Stinger in a year or two used.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

Michaell said:
    Actually sounded good to me.
    It was a mixed review. I don't think it was overly negative. Acura rightfully deserves some criticisms (The power plant is ancient; sort of pulling a Buick with the 3.8 they kept around forever). Others I'm not so sure about. I don't get a Honda vibe at all in the Acura interior. I mean, I'm sure the layout and control is the same ideology, but I can easily feel and see where the money is being spent.

However, if the softer suspension, heavier, and less-powered TLX formula is working for them in sales, hard to argue with that. They will steal sales from Lexus. I'd like them to go after more Infinity owners (besides @graphicguy )
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:

came up with another scheme this morning, thanks to an email from the VW dealer. Cheap lease offer on a Jetta SE 5 speed. Paying just the usual tax/DMV at inception (rolling in 1st and bank fee), would be looking at about $185 or so. Cheap, as am I!

hits the hot buttons. fun manual trans (just like the GLI!). Moonroof, carplay and BLIS, so meets the minimum requirements for sub-$200. Pretty spritely with that powertrain, and rated for high MPG. could be a nice interim car. Assuming can convince the wife to get a Jetta.

of course does not eliminate the overlap with my current ride, but can't have anything!

If the '18 Jetta is on the newer MQB chassis platform, that improvement alone is worth the price of admission.

I really like the Fender audio system in SE+ models.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

Read a quick 1-page review on the Kia Stinger. They said 6-series gran coupe size, 0-60 in 4.9 secs, RWD, and about $40k. Could shake things up. And could be a great used car buy.

Looks like they chose the S4 from 2010 (7 years ago) as a baseline for performance. How heavy will it be? Are the brakes adequate?

I think used after the high depreciation would be the way to go. There is a small Kia fan-boy base. I've seen they like to replace the KIA badge with one that looks like a cross between Mazda's and Lexus, but isn't.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Just having a stick does not make a car fun. I made that mistake with a 2008 Impreza sedan. Thank goodness that was only a 24 month lease!

I think the Ford Aspire and Geo Metro often had sticks. To prove your point.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,708
    I drove a Ford Fiesta in the early 80s with a stick. It was not a fun car. Back then most Economy cars had MT as their base model.
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Just having a stick does not make a car fun. I made that mistake with a 2008 Impreza sedan. Thank goodness that was only a 24 month lease!

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm coming around to the opinion that a manual tends to be more entertaining when the car actually needs a manual gearbox. For example, my 318ti(with a Turner Motorsports Conforti chip) makes around 140 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. You simply must keep the engine wound tight to make anything close to rapid progress- and as a result it's a lot of fun to drive it in that fashion. In contrast, my M235i makes 330 lb-ft of twist from 1300 to 4500 rpm; with such a flat torque curve there is almost always a ton of thrust available regardless of the gear selected. And it is also nice to have a car that can convert from cruise mode to track toy mode with the press of a button. If I was buying an M2 or M3 I would go with a manual every time, but in the less intense BMWs an automatic transmission does not detract from my enjoyment of the car.

• Options
    Yup. The WRX almost felt like work. A 1.4t Jetta would be perfect engine for it.

• Options

breld said:

On the Civic forums I frequent, there are quite a few who smartly point out that with some of the crazy markups on the Type R, one could get a nice M240i or even push the budget a bit for an M2 (that's compared to some of the earlier, crazy markups of $20k or so). One person actually did buy an M2 after getting tired of waiting.

It all depends on what you want, CAR had a hot hatch comparison test and ranked the cars as follows:

1. Focus RS
    3. Civic Type R

With my RWD preference I'd rank the M140i first and the Type R second. I think I'd either get bored or break the RS. As for the Leon- who knows?

Can you fit one of these in a Focus RS?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-M50A?cks=15304659750&emailid=FP_FASTNEWS

8,000 bucks; not terrible.
  • Options
    I bet @graphicguy doesn't care what a reviewer thinks, since he already owns one. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Andre, if you got enough beer, anything is possible

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    andres3 said:

breld said:

1. Focus RS
    3. Civic Type R

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-M50A?cks=15304659750&emailid=FP_FASTNEWS

You want a much faster car, go buy a much faster car. That's my advice. B)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,864
    andres3 said:

I doubt it, but it WOULD fit in my Econoline! Unfortunately, this would be just the tip of the iceberg. With everything else needed, it would be more like $20K.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,226
    TTAC has never seemed to care for the TLX. Baruth butchered one a short time ago as well, claiming an Accord is a better choice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    xwesx said:

andres3 said:

I doubt it, but it WOULD fit in my Econoline! Unfortunately, this would be just the tip of the iceberg. With everything else needed, it would be more like $20K.

Yes, but you could call it the Econoline Raptor!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

Doesn't the Jetta feel like a big step down from a Sonata Limited?

I think the Elantra Sport is a better car, but no doubt it costs more too....Here's the redline review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wCOxK0h8s
  • Options
    fintail said:
    Stinger looks like a cool package, also looks way too much like a slightly modified Optima IMO.
    Is that a bad thing? It is RWD, so it definitely ISN'T one, and that is what matters.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    andres3 said:
    Looks like they chose the S4 from 2010 (7 years ago) as a baseline for performance. How heavy will it be? Are the brakes adequate? I think used after the high depreciation would be the way to go. There is a small Kia fan-boy base. I've seen they like to replace the KIA badge with one that looks like a cross between Mazda's and Lexus, but isn't.
    I doubt S4 was a target given it is apparently much larger, not to mention it is effectively a base model. I did not see weight given but they did mention that if you opt for AWD, it gets very close to 4k lb. So figure 3800'ish, I guess. That is actually kinda light for its size and performance class. 

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,864
    andres3 said:

Yes, but you could call it the Econoline Raptor!

Hmm...... Wheels turning....! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I drove an Elantra sport. it was fun. But the elantra just felt too much like another, just shrunken, Sonata.

• Options
    good job! the classic "just browsing while in for service" purchase.

I got a notice that my Sonata has a critical recall so was thinking to take it in next Friday. Give me an excuse to go look at replacements again. So who knows!

• Options
    Floated the Jetta idea past the wife. After a few comments about the daughter having one, and not being sure she liked them, she did agree that getting something that cheap, for just 3 years, made a lot of sense.

• Options
    Contacted a salesperson at my local BMW dealer. We'll see where it goes, tomorrow... :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jeffb0101 said:

I have a punch to report. 

2017 Accord Sport SE. Modern steel metallic with black leather. Went in for an oil change, came out with a new car. 

Congrats! Great car. What color? Auto or manual? If I may ask, how much did you end up paying?
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy did you get to go and drive the stick jetta today!
  • Options
    @qbrozen like that Kia cante wate for it to go on sail so can go to the dealer and look at one!
  • Options
    @jeffb0101 congrads on the new caR!
  • Options
    @jeffb0101 what car was in for service that you ended up trading in?
  • Options
    @stickguy good that the wife is onboard with your plan!
  • Options
    We just got in a 2018 M3; Mineral Gray Metallic over Black leather. Only options are the Executive and Competition Packages. It's really sinister looking.
    Maybe if this new political gig pans out...

• Options
    did not get a chance to look today. Too much going on here to be able to get out. Probably just going to wait it out and see what is going on a month from now. If they haven't sold out, not like the deals are going to get worse! Plus, might as well wait until 10/18 at this point to see the Accord (and likely sooner, since I know where they hide them in the back lots!)

• Options
    I could get into politics if I it meant I can drive a car like that...
  • Options

I could get into politics if I it meant I can drive a car like that...

And as soon as the constituency saw you driving that, you'd be out of politics in a hurry....

@kyfdx - guessing this is for a replacement for the wife's X3?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options