Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I think I need help (or to get a life). I just spent about 1.5 hours watching Cleetus Macfarland's Youtube channel series on their auction Corvette C6. Interesting stuff though!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,366

Man not like 640 HP.

Man need more power.

Lingenfelter Cadillac

Man will be spending a lot of money buying tires.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Notice the distinct lack of pricing in that article? I'm sure that wasn't by mistake. Hhahaha
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Man not like 640 HP. Man need more power. Lingenfelter Cadillac
    I drove a friend’s Lingenfelter CTS-V that had 700 hp. It was a hoot- I did a 200 foot burnout with ease. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    xwesx said:

Notice the distinct lack of pricing in that article? I'm sure that wasn't by mistake. Hhahaha

Well if you have to ask.......
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    Ken Lingenfelter is a great guy. I’ve talked with him at the last two Corvette Funfests
  • Options
    OK, well good luck with everything!
    He called this afternoon. Had a good conversation. We did indeed find some common ground. Thanks. 
  • Options

I found the pictures of my friend's CTS-V as well as my burnout:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988

Did you write a check for the tires you shredded?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Now there's a color:

Almost perfect spec, too. I just need more $$$, a bit more $$$$$.

Potentially starting some back and forth with a salesperson with an E450 wagon I suspect will be nailed to the ground. Might take awhile though.
  • Options
    sda said:

Believe it or not, my friend asked me to do the burnout.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Spent some seat time in the CX 5 rental. It’s a competent vehicle but not for me. I know many of you have much larger vehicles (and I drove a minivan in the kid years!) but it’s just too big overall for me. It’s also more underpowered than the Encore, which is surprising. I’ve owned Mazdas in both 3 and 6 versions and always thought they were plenty peppy, but not this model. It’s also loud, something that the Mazda 3 hatch I tried out a year or so ago was not. It’s a very comfy vehicle to be a passenger in, but not much fun to drive.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I’m impressed how straight it is. Nice job!! 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    suydam said:

Spent some seat time in the CX 5 rental. It’s a competent vehicle but not for me. I know many of you have much larger vehicles (and I drove a minivan in the kid years!) but it’s just too big overall for me. It’s also more underpowered than the Encore, which is surprising. I’ve owned Mazdas in both 3 and 6 versions and always thought they were plenty peppy, but not this model. It’s also loud, something that the Mazda 3 hatch I tried out a year or so ago was not. It’s a very comfy vehicle to be a passenger in, but not much fun to drive.

I find it really odd how driving impressions of Mazdas seem to fall into polar opposite camps. Either they are slow, or not, or noisy/buzzy, or they're not. Not much middle ground. Auto reviewers online or in print always like them. It is very strange.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    we test drove one (and it was on our short list) last year. I did not find it noisy. Maybe a little louder when really working the engine hard to accelerate, but nothing objectionable. Not particularly fast, but moved along OK. Handled really well, and nicely equipped. About the only thing I did not like was the seat cushion was a bit short.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438

"As a reward for your continued loyalty, you may be qualified for a credit of $2,000.* Offers on the All-New BMW 3 Series Sedan are ending soon. Don't miss your chance to experience the Ultimate Driving Machine® for less."

Anybody else get an email like this?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    nyccarguy said:

"As a reward for your continued loyalty, you may be qualified for a credit of $2,000.* Offers on the All-New BMW 3 Series Sedan are ending soon. Don't miss your chance to experience the Ultimate Driving Machine® for less."

There is $2000 loyalty on the 2019 330i or the 2020 340i

No other lease credits, though. and, you have to qualify.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    is that a bad sign that the car is just out, and they are already having to bribe people to take them? :p

• Options
    stickguy said:

is that a bad sign that the car is just out, and they are already having to bribe people to take them? :p

It's just for current customers, and the 2019 model has been out for months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

I just read the fine print. I got excited that MAYBE it would be good toward remaining 2018 models as well which already have some lease cash.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

It's just for current customers, and the 2019 model has been out for months.
    I meant including the just released 2020.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

I just read the fine print. I got excited that MAYBE it would be good toward remaining 2018 models as well which already have some lease cash.
    I see $1000 loyalty on the 2018 sedans

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78 said:
    I’m impressed how straight it is. Nice job!! 
    I could have gone on for another 200-300 feet but I was approaching an intersection. 

• Options
    The truth about anything is always more elusive and more complicated than most of what we see or read in the media, in advertising, or in chat rooms. But these "nuanced" discussions, with all the gray areas and contradictions, are ultimately the ones worth having, don't you think?

There's this phenomenon that environmental researchers use call...I think it's...."slacktivitiy"---what it means is that once a person makes one big gesture on "improving our environment"---like, say, recycling their trash--then they feel they've done their part, and they stop doing anything else.

So in a sense, that one gesture ends up probably preventing them from doing anything considerably more meaningful.

So yeah, pat yourself on the back for buying an EV---but don't stop there. Otherwise, the gesture isn't all that you think it is.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    If I bought an EV, I'd do it because I like the car, not with a delusion of saving the world. As every time a volcano burps or an ocean liner departs, it cancels me out a zillion times.
  • Options
    Just one intercontinental flight equals, per passenger, one car's carbon foot print for one year.

So when my neighbor buys his EV and sneers at my Dodge Charger, as soon as he goes on his scuba vacation while I stay at the local swimming pool---we're even, baby for the whole year.

• Options
    fintail said:

If I bought an EV, I'd do it because I like the car, not with a delusion of saving the world. As every time a volcano burps or an ocean liner departs, it cancels me out a zillion times.

Those thumbwheels on the Tesla steering wheel?----those would drive me utterly crazy in a day.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I received an email for $1k loyalty on the X2. Gee, I wonder if my wife would like that .... oh... wait...

I also signed up for the BMW driving event in East Rutherford next month. Results in an OL code, which I won't have a use for, but getting to burn the tires off someone else's car is always a welcome event.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I am not going to knock somebody for any attempt to make the world a greener place. Everyone has to decide what they can do. There IS a lot of negativity here and other boards on Edmunds generally. I’m not sure why. I’m personally more interested in learning people’s impressions about the vehicles they drive and test drive.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Sometimes car reviews are negative. It goes with the territory. Also it's interesting to examine the ideas of marketing vs. the real world. Discernment is part of being smart with your money and your time.
  • Options
    I’m fine with negative reviews of vehicles people actually drove. It’s the opining on whole classes of vehicles that the poster has never even sat in that seems a waste of time to me.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Well they could comment on the looks, even if the driving dynamics is outside their experience. That seems valid.

Or the general concept. To use an exaggerated example, you wouldn't have to actually operate a car made out of adobe bricks to offer an opinion. B)

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    suydam said:

I’m fine with negative reviews of vehicles people actually drove. It’s the opining on whole classes of vehicles that the poster has never even sat in that seems a waste of time to me.

I have a feeling you just caused people that like to opine to plan test drives in their near future.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Bring 'em!
  • Options
    andres3 said:

suydam said:

I have a feeling you just caused people that like to opine to plan test drives in their near future.
    Fabulous!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I drove a Tesla P85 sedan. It was quick for a quarter mile. The interior was very cheap looking - it seemed to be leftover / old MB parts. It did not handle well. 

My buddy wanted me to swap him my RS7 for his Tesla. I wasn’t willing to do that. 
  • Options
    I thought the rule for truckers was "if you aren't rolling, you aren't earning." Something like that. Would not work well with having to stop for 10 hours to recharge.

• Options
    Well they could recharge while they're sleeping. They can only drive X hours anyway, right?

The photos I saw of the Tesla truck showed a central seating position. I'm pretty sure most truckers would hate that.
  • Options
    only if they have one driver and that much downtime.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    New over the air update to the car unlocks 5% more HP. So, around 22hp to bring the total in my car to 472. I’m sure I won’t feel it, but it came gratis anyway so I’m not complaining. Every update seems to have an unexpected surprise.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    The P85 owner had an over the air update on his Tesla that was not compatible with his TPMS sensors. He also could not get the car out of drive and had to hold his foot on the brake for 3 HOURS while talking to the Tesla mother ship. Tesla eventually shut the car down over the air and it was flatbedded for the fix and replacement of the TPMS modules in each wheel.
  • Options
    bored tonight so browsing CL. Which always reminds me that I have no desire to ever wade back into that cesspool to buy a car!

this must be an odd duck. I kinda like it!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/franklinville-2010-ford-fusion-6-speed/6838589380.html

probably could have a lot of fun bopping around town in this little economy buggy. And I seriously would drive it on the street. But not really. Now, one of these with a stock version of that engine, could be interesting.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/bristol-hell-cat-killer-1972-datsun-1200/6830066136.html

now this one is certainly unique. Looks to be in pretty good shape too. Just needs a V8 and 5 speed swap!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/williamstown-1973-amc-hornet-wagon/6834422935.html

and finally, this looks clean as a whistle. Seems reasonably priced, but what do I know? Too bad it isn't a stick.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/marlton-40th-anniversary-edition-2004/6832538643.html

• Options
    9.68 seconds in the 1/4 mile? Might not need a V-8 after all. :)
  • Options
    you can do almost anything with enough boost! but that is impressive out of a 2.6l 4 banger.

• Options
    tifighter said:
    New over the air update to the car unlocks 5% more HP. So, around 22hp to bring the total in my car to 472. I’m sure I won’t feel it, but it came gratis anyway so I’m not complaining. Every update seems to have an unexpected surprise.
    Nice!  Glad you are enjoying the 3!

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited March 2019

Well they could recharge while they're sleeping. They can only drive X hours anyway, right?

The photos I saw of the Tesla truck showed a central seating position. I'm pretty sure most truckers would hate that.

Yes, it is a 12-hour shift limit, which includes various stops, and there's a total hour limit per seven days. Once you're out, you don't go anywhere until the week resets. Even for team drivers (e.g., two drivers that move trucks round the clock), they can hit down time. However, electric trucks beg local routes, and would probably be pretty effective for them. My mother runs from Salem to Tacoma and back daily. If the truck could cover a day shift, then it would be perfect on a run like that.... most days! Sometimes she runs out of time and has to just park the truck before she gets back to "the yard." Portland traffic. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Yes, it is a 12-hour shift limit, which includes various stops, and there's a total hour limit per seven days. Once you're out, you don't go anywhere until the week resets. Even for team drivers (e.g., two drivers that move trucks round the clock), they can hit down time. However, electric trucks beg local routes, and would probably be pretty effective for them. My mother runs from Salem to Tacoma and back daily. If the truck could cover a day shift, then it would be perfect on a run like that.... most days! Sometimes she runs out of time and has to just park the truck before she gets back to "the yard." Portland traffic. :(
    12 hour of work within a 14 hour period, followed by at least 10 hours off, before starting up again.

Total hour of either 60 hours in 7 days, or 70 hours in 8 days.

Not very many team drivers, any more. The 10 hour charging time wouldn't be as much of a problem, as getting enough spaces with chargers. Or course, driverless trucks solves a lot of those problems. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited March 2019
    stickguy said:

bored tonight so browsing CL. Which always reminds me that I have no desire to ever wade back into that cesspool to buy a car!

this must be an odd duck. I kinda like it!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/franklinville-2010-ford-fusion-6-speed/6838589380.html

probably could have a lot of fun bopping around town in this little economy buggy. And I seriously would drive it on the street. But not really. Now, one of these with a stock version of that engine, could be interesting.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/bristol-hell-cat-killer-1972-datsun-1200/6830066136.html

now this one is certainly unique. Looks to be in pretty good shape too. Just needs a V8 and 5 speed swap!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/williamstown-1973-amc-hornet-wagon/6834422935.html

and finally, this looks clean as a whistle. Seems reasonably priced, but what do I know? Too bad it isn't a stick.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/marlton-40th-anniversary-edition-2004/6832538643.html

Wow, yeah...That Fusion 6 speed has to be a rare one.

I’d like the little Datsun better with the engine from a 510.

For some perverse reason, I love the Hornet.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    @pensfan83 - is your TLX ASPEC White? I saw one today. Looks sharp!